=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

1 hour ago, Drinkis said:

btw id appreciated if one day u'll add night missions (or at least late evening, it is very atmospheric to fly under the night sky).

We had a lot of "late evening" missions during the current campaign, especially on maps #2 and #3

I remember one especially on Winter Moscow map when the night felt completely after 1 hour of mission, it was fun attacking tank columns with just the light of the moon ūüėɬ†

(I'm grounded for now because I'm on holidays and I don't have access to my Sim computer, so I can't confirm if it's still the case on Kuban map)

7 hours ago, xJammer said:

P.S. @=FPS=Cutlass¬†is an example of a player who treats his life as a resource. Him and his group in teamspeak has repeatedly destroyed many of the blue tank columns and defences. I would say that he has done more towards his team's victory than your streak, Chimango.ÔĽŅ

This is not a good example. Chimanov continually blows our group cover over the target. Not one column of tanks was stopped due to the work of his group. Il-2 could in relatively easy conditions to work on the goal, receiving timely warning about the appearance of the enemy in the target area, preparing its attack on the strike aircraft, and often just seeing how fall from the sky Chimanov downed enemy planes. Well, the fact that he is more than a fighter than a stormtrooper or bomber and he likes air battles - so it says it hot Latin American temperament.....it's hard to blame him......;)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, Operation_Ivy said:

Slowly i think that it would be best to lock this thread during campaigns...

Thats actually a very good idea imho.

• Upvote 1

Looking at Xjammers sorties it looks like a lot of his "landings" are belly landings at his own airfield presumably since lowering landing gear takes too much time.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

El servidor ha sido detenido. La falta de AA en el error de aeródromos debe ser corregida. Voy a reiniciar luego el mapa de Kuban.

Good luck and thank you very much for your dedication.

3 hours ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

salute xjammer.

For other players like chima. keeping alive is a play style and because he is one of the best pilots you can find here... he can obtain very well stats... but i assure you , many other players doing same , have lot of deaths.... is a lucky and  of course skill thing.

[...]

Dont mistake a certain game style with a stat padder style... u perfectly know what is the padder style... fly only friendly territory, no attack to ground, etc , etc. Chima isnt the case 

17 minutes ago, =FPS=Cutlass said:

This is not a good example. Chimanov continually blows our group cover over the target. Not one column of tanks was stopped due to the work of his group. Il-2 could in relatively easy conditions to work on the goal, receiving timely warning about the appearance of the enemy in the target area, preparing its attack on the strike aircraft, and often just seeing how fall from the sky Chimanov downed enemy planes. Well, the fact that he is more than a fighter than a stormtrooper or bomber and he likes air battles - so it says it hot Latin American temperament.....it's hard to blame him......;)

Touché.

The server is running. No AA on the airfields has been fixed (Mission Editor changed the¬†format of the Mission file ūüėĖ)

I also added fast and simple work around to Ju-52 paratroopers:

- Ju-52 are not available on the front line airfields

- Drop Zone is generated when damage of the airfield is more then 65% (was more than 50% before)

- Probability of capturing the airfield now equals AF_dmage% - 20% (was AF_damage% before). So if AF is completely destroyed the probability is now 80% not 100%

- Damage to the airfield when paratroopers don't capture it has been lowered. 

The Kuban map #6 has been restarted.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 9

19 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

The server is running. No AA on the airfields has been fixed (Mission Editor changed the¬†format of the Mission file ūüėĖ)

I also added fast and simple work around to Ju-52 paratroopers:

- Ju-52 are not available on the front line airfields

- Drop Zone is generated when damage of the airfield is more then 65% (was more than 50% before)

- Probability of capturing the airfield now equals AF_dmage% - 20% (was AF_damage% before). So if AF is completely destroyed the probability is now 80% not 100%

- Damage to the airfield when paratroopers don't capture it has been lowered. 

The Kuban map #6 has been restarted.

Nice quick solutions for Ju52s, I'm curious to see how it will work!

3 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Allies:  All our fighters early on, and almost all our fighters later on severely under perform vs. Axis, but one of our weakest fighters has a good gun.

Axis: We can't have that.

Allies: We have IL-2 ground attackers that Axis never had a truly comparable counterpart to.

Axis: We have a heavy bomber that hits hard (111), a fast bomber that is hard for fighters to catch with exceptional payload (88), a dive/light bomber that can make pinpoint strikes + throw single-strike heavy punches (87), and a heavy fighter that was repurposed as a heavy ground destroyer when it was withdrawn from the Battle of Britain and moved to the Eastern Front (110).  It's fast and can still fight well air-to-air. 

Allies: We have the Pe-2 light bomber. It's reasonably fast, has decent protection at the rear and is tough.  Trying to use it offensively air-to-air is suicide except for ACE pilots.

Axis: We have paratroopers!

Allies: Currently, we have no effective counter strategy available.

Axis: While we see your point, we'll still take it.  Too bad, so sad for you, Allies. 

lololololol ... that summarizes it lolol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

@=LG=Coldman @=LG=Kathon i had this situation for the third time, i would call it a technical server problem:

I have a good combat sortie, getting ground and/or airkills then i "lose connection to the server". But it's not on my side, because other Internet stuff is working fine (TS and co.). Then i check my stats and don't get the stuff credited. When i click on the combat sortie (e.g. this one from last hour: https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=54583&name=II./JG77_Manu*) it shows all my kills, but not on the main page with the overall stats. There it says  (0/0) for GK/AK.

Now i am no stats hunter and don't care too much about it, but what is the point when it doesn't show up correctly? I am not the only one in my squad to get those "connection lost" situations and loosing all kills as well. 

Anyway, just asking, you can't cover everything i guess. I really relish your server, great stuff and keep up the good work¬†ūüôā

Edit: I also didn't get a combat mission for it, which leads to me getting less aircraft back. In contrary to the stats, that actually has some influence in my flying¬†ūü§Ē

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

9 hours ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

Planes carry over to new maps but in this situation, Kuban map didn't load properly and after fixing by Kathon, planes were reset.

Thanks for the update Mikhael - hopefully the inventory will be carried over as appropriate on the next map.

20 hours ago, xJammer said:

666GIAP really like their 23mm... :) 

I believe TAW bugged on the last mission and all of the frontline airfields did not have any meaningfull AAA. In previous missions depots (when we were working on them) had full set of AAA defences as per usual.

I fly both sides and I agree with them. Especially after the much improved damage model. Wings are not just popping off anymore which is great for all aircraft. The 109 empennage is still a bit weak in my opinion.

3 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

I also added fast and simple work around to Ju-52 paratroopers: ...

Thank you Kathon - these are very good changes to keep the paratroopers at a reasonable level, mainly because they are only available to one side.

One more item suggested would IMO make the update even more complete and fair while only one side benefits (for your consideration):   If a random troop/AAA group was spawned in the center of the paratroop drop zone, it would fulfill two objectives:

- Provide some protection/defense for the side being attacked, so there is some comparable risk to the attacker given the amount of reward if successful

- When the troops spot enemy aircraft, they will call out this information so that the defending side can take appropriate actions and defend the area

There will still be an advantage to the attacking side, as the defending side can only take airbases/towns through tank column advances. ¬†However, these extra changes on top of what you‚Äôve already done will make the environment much ‚Äúmore fair.‚ÄĚ ¬†Once the Russian side gets transport aircraft, it would make sense to apply the same restrictions, then it would be fair across the board.

Thanks!

Edited by AKA_Relent

11 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Whatever you say to justify, you're still an ........ for doing this. 

Feel free to call me that if I do this to you on a server where killing pilots is not directly rewarding ;) Just imagine a game where teabagging your opponent's corpse would heal you.

@666GIAP_Tumu

I appreciate your comment! And believe me I recognise that different people have different approaches to the game. My comment was in response to Chimango's general approach to arguing - belittle and discredit anyone who disagrees with him, not argue with rationale and logic. But you do show that not everyone is like that in your squad, so much respect to you!

@=FPS=Cutlass

I never said stat-padders were entirely useless. They are less effective than they could have been if they cared less about preserving their streaks. Stat padder would not take a 30% chance to die while taking out AAA at a tank column in a low-population situation (where you can't expect support). While those who work towards the win have a 70% chance to make a game-changing impact.

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Blue side AFs also did not have AAA. Not only reds. So the situation was symmetrical on both sides.

Edited by xJammer

17 minutes ago, xJammer said:

@=FPS=Cutlass

I never said stat-padders were entirely useless. They are less effective than they could have been if they cared less about preserving their streaks. Stat padder would not take a 30% chance to die while taking out AAA at a tank column in a low-population situation (where you can't expect support). While those who work towards the win have a 60% chance to make a game-changing impact.

Those who are chasing high personal statistics usually do not risk their ass, getting involved in outright adventures to cover their attack aircraft in the numerical minority.  Most often, they are usually looking for singles, lying in wait near the airfields of taking off bombers without cover, steal padded planes punching them in the aisles on the aisles and generally profess the tactics of "hit and run". The benefits for the team from such people are quite small. Simonov, unlike them, is always ready to act in the interests of the team, despite the difficult conditions. 

The fact that he doesn't get along with you or rather rudely talking on the forum - does not mean that it is useless for the team.

Quite the opposite.

But a little more respect for the opponent in the debate he probably would not hurt...:drinks:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

. The 109 empennage is still a bit weak in my opinion.

The IL2 empennage is more weak for the flying tank.

8 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Allies:  All our fighters early on, and almost all our fighters later on severely under perform vs. Axis, but one of our weakest fighters has a good gun.

Allies: We have IL-2 ground attackers that Axis never had a truly comparable counterpart to.

Axis: We have a heavy bomber that hits hard (111), a fast bomber that is hard for fighters to catch with exceptional payload (88), a dive/light bomber that can make pinpoint strikes + throw single-strike heavy punches (87), and a heavy fighter that was repurposed as a heavy ground destroyer when it was withdrawn from the Battle of Britain and moved to the Eastern Front (110).  It's fast and can still fight well air-to-air. 

Allies: We have the Pe-2 light bomber. It's reasonably fast, has decent protection at the rear and is tough.  Trying to use it offensively air-to-air is suicide except for ACE pilots.

Axis: We have paratroopers!

Allies: Currently, we have no effective counter strategy available.

Axis: While we see your point, we'll still take it.  Too bad, so sad for you, Allies. 

Wonderful! Just missed one:

Allies: We are outnumbered most of the time¬†most TAW editions, reaching peaks of 60-20, and even if we want to join to reduce that gap we can¬īt because server it's full. Limit the slots!

Axis: We can¬īt have that, it will ruin our coordination and also¬†our paratroopers don¬īt like being bothered by commies. Sides are¬†balanced, cause during last week of august 2017¬†on map #8 at 2:00AM there was a 15v14¬† favouring reds.¬†:biggrin:

• Upvote 3

At this point anyone reading the last few pages must think that Allies have supermen pilots, able to battle twice the number of Axis with worse aircraft and inferior capturing technology. Afterall they won twice already! :lol:

21 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

Wonderful! Just missed one:

Allies: We are outnumbered most of the time¬†most TAW editions, reaching peaks of 60-20, and even if we want to join to reduce that gap we can¬īt because server it's full. Limit the slots!

Axis: We can¬īt have that, it will ruin our coordination and also¬†our paratroopers don¬īt like being bothered by commies. Sides are¬†balanced, cause during last week of august 2017¬†on map #8 at 2:00AM there was a 15v14¬† favouring reds.¬†:biggrin:

Well, there have been some times that Allies held the numbers but, those times are surely proportionately shorter and with small max team numbers than the other way around.   But yeah, that seems to be the gist of what we often times see.   

As far as the other discussion of "stat padders" goes:   Those of us who prefer to fly Pe-2s do get into many bomb runs where losing the plane is possible - even if we do fly cautiously. So stat padding is not really a luxury for this play style.  It doesn't help that it was explained to me that if the player attacking the Pe-2 has a +1 plane and it's apparent the Pe-2 has damaged it, they will attempt to ram and just get a +1 replacement in the next round.  Meanwhile the Pe-2 pilot has to do transports 3 times or fly 3 other combat missions to get a replacement if their overall bomber pool is at zero.   On this, I call bullshit.  Make at least 1 type (.37 or .85) of combat Pe-2 a +1 plane or give use a larger max pool of earned Pe-2s we can build up to.

6 minutes ago, xJammer said:

At this point anyone reading the last few pages must think that Allies have supermen pilots, able to battle twice the number of Axis with worse aircraft and inferior capturing technology. Afterall they won twice already! :lol:

I'll concede, Axis does get a lot of newer and less experienced pilots who just want to fly the "more legendary" types of planes like the 109.  So while Axis regularly does hold superior numbers, Axis also has a fair amount of fresh meat as well. 

I just want to say that 10:0 player count is so much more significant than a 50:25 advantage. You can literally solo airfields if there isn't a player there to defend it:

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50224&name=xJammer

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50271&name=xJammer

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50326&name=xJammer

I do have some player damage in one of the sorties, but nobody actually came to defend the airfield - the guy just spawned a pe2 that thankfully did not PK my pilot as I strafed it. This is last map attacking Trudo airfield with starts from Zhuto

Edited by xJammer

2 minutes ago, xJammer said:

I just want to say that 10:0 player count is so much more significant than a 50:25 advantage. You can literally solo airfields if there isn't a player there to defend it:

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50224&name=xJammer

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50271&name=xJammer

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50326&name=xJammer

I do have some player damage in one of the sorties, but nobody actually came to defend the airfield - the guy just spawned a pe2 that thankfully did not PK my pilot as I strafed it. This is last map attacking Trudo airfield with starts from Zhuto

10:0 or 45:4 - the balance change is insignificant comparatively.  It's to bad you need to eat and sleep like the rest of us or you alone would be Axis's Superman.  Maybe you have the knowledge and skill of soloing airfields, but there's probably not many others that do.  I know I'm surely not one.

4 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

10:0 or 45:4 - the balance change is insignificant comparatively.  It's to bad you need to eat and sleep like the rest of us or you alone would be Axis's Superman.  Maybe you have the knowledge and skill of soloing airfields, but there's probably not many others that do.  I know I'm surely not one.

All I meant to say is that when you are facing 0 players on the opponent's team you can commit to the "riskiest" missions. Because the primary risk of working solo for 2 hours on an airfield is a single individual fighter coming 2km above you and completely taking away your chances to accomplish the mission. That fighter doesn't even have to be good - smoke an engine or leak a fuel tank and you have to go home or lose the aircraft. I got lucky in that mission that nobody went out of their way and flew the 40km from a neighbouring airfield to intercept me. However when you are 10:0 there is no element of luck in such a mission :) 

Edited by xJammer

3 hours ago, xJammer said:

At this point anyone reading the last few pages must think that Allies have supermen pilots, able to battle twice the number of Axis with worse aircraft and inferior capturing technology. Afterall they won twice already! :lol:ÔĽŅ

You are welcome to switch sides and fine out. 

Edited by CptSiddy

3 minutes ago, xJammer said:

All I meant to say is that when you are facing 0 players on the opponent's team you can commit to the "riskiest" missions. Because the primary risk of working solo for 2 hours on an airfield is a single individual fighter coming 2km above you and completely taking away your chances to accomplish the mission. That fighter doesn't even have to be good - smoke an engine or leak a fuel tank and you have to go home or lose the aircraft. I got lucky in that mission that nobody went out of their way and flew the 40km from a neighbouring airfield to intercept me. However when you are 10:0 there is no element of luck in such a mission :) 

Point taken.  So the question is when there is no one available to man the other team what can be done to 'balance' this?  Or when a team is outnumbered vastly how do we balance it?   Would we, dare I say it, have to trigger AI reinforcements every time a team outnumbers the other by +10?  We all know that AI can be a rather dubious thing in IL-2, but what if lost AI didn't count against the "lost planes and pilots" score? 

17 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Point taken.  So the question is when there is no one available to man the other team what can be done to 'balance' this?  Or when a team is outnumbered vastly how do we balance it?   Would we, dare I say it, have to trigger AI reinforcements every time a team outnumbers the other by +10?  We all know that AI can be a rather dubious thing in IL-2, but what if lost AI didn't count against the "lost planes and pilots" score? 

Difficult question. I don't think AI is a solution as you would at most turn soloing targets into "duo-ling" them with one guy working on the ground while the other one distracts whatever AI you throw at it. It will also take away a lot of the TAW charm where anything that moves is a player :P 

Considering what we have managed to achieve on TAW as a group of random pubbies that organised in chat and on teamspeak I am scared to think what an organised squad could achieve if they just stop caring about the roleplay aspects of the game.

Edited by xJammer

I agree that all actions being player generated is ideal, but I also think there has to be a way to keep the numbers more consistent.  I'm even considering forgoing flying tonight when it will be nearly guaranteed to swing toward Red for a few hours and get some morning flights with Axis filling it in to alleviate the boredom of not getting shot at except for AAA. :biggrin:

Well, speaking on behalf of the now 5-man squad I joined and the Cat Herd that joins with us, I haven't seen anybody roleplaying.  I have been and have seen pilots take caution or decline suggested missions due to the possibility of 100% blowing a full plane set in one mission.  Honestly, I'm not too good with fighters, I'm slightly better with Il-2s and the only plane I have a decent run with is the Pe-2 which is not a +1.  I really don't mind transport missions, but I'd really rather not do them.  That's not to say I wouldn't get in a Lagg-3 or Yak with a packed house and lots of Axis, but that would be purely for my own fun and practice as I couldn't really be useful to the team.  I surely would be more conservative with my Pe-2s though.    

5 hours ago, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

The IL2 empennage is more weak for the flying tank.

If you mean the Il2 I agree and disagree. The vertical stabilizer comes off pretty easy but the rest is solid. The whole tail of the 109 is still easy to knock off.

2 hours ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

The whole tail of the 109 is still easy to knock off.

If I recall correctly, I've seen P-51combat training videos that stated the tail was in fact this weak.  I'll look around and see if I can find it again. 

8 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

and the only plane I have a decent run with is the Pe-2 which is not a +1.  I really don't mind transport missions, but I'd really rather not do them. 

Just my 2 cents here as a Ju-88 / Pe-2 enthousiast (or A-20 too) : if you're not used to do it, you can farm combat missions by level bombing defensive positions from medium altitude.

If you come at 350-400 km/h at 2-3k altitude, drop bombs and immediately do a 180¬į turn (don't stay in the bombing view to watch your bombs exploding, cool guys don't look at explosions), you will never get shot by the AA.

And if you dive fast after your bomb run to gain maximum speed and get out of the danger area, you will almost never meet an enemy fighter, since you are out of the area before the enemy get the message signaling that it was under attack. 

By doing this, you can be effective with your bomber AND conservative, and you'll never need transport missions. Average time of mission (from take off to land) : 20-30min depending on map configuration.

I did this a lot on maps #3 and #4, I never lost my bomber, neither by AA or fighter. Only one fighter tried to shoot me down once, but since I dived at 550-600 km/h into friendly territory after dropping my bomb, he didn't follow me far and I went back to base safely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

@=LG=Kathon now 3.009 is out; maybe we can use the Po-2 next TAW edition to counter Ju-52 operations.

Maybe there could be a LZ for a VVS spy and that gathers info for red side, like LZs or maybe some recon to enemy positions so when we bomb an airfield the damage we do it's twice as much when is not reconed (like old Airforce War from =BY= squad)

Come on; any creative people suggestions for this great bird in TAW?

_U2_1.jpg

rufina-gasheva-nataly-meklin-heroes-of-t

Edited by 666GIAP_Chimango
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

If I recall correctly, I've seen P-51combat training videos that stated the tail was in fact this weak.  I'll look around and see if I can find it again. 

It's thin and so will be weak but...... Metal doesn't just pop off like this. Neither does steel reinforced wood which is what later 109s had. We get a clean sheering at the root too often in my opinion.

Once an enemy airfield has certain ammount of damage, VVS can infiltrate soviet Commandos to capture it. This way it works just like the paratroopers. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

If you come at 350-400 km/h at 2-3k altitude, drop bombs and immediately do a 180¬į turn (don't stay in the bombing view to watch your bombs exploding, cool guys don't look at explosions), you will never get shot by the AA.

Am I still a cool guy if I'm looking at my explosions with the belly gunner after the turn? :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Am I still a cool guy if I'm looking at my explosions with the belly gunner after the turn? :biggrin:

You're 50% cool.
Real cool guys don't have to look to know their job is done.
181219065841156546.gif

:dance:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

@=LG=Kathon now 3.009 is out; maybe we can use the Po-2 next TAW edition to counter Ju-52 operations.

Maybe there could be a LZ for a VVS spy and that gathers info for red side, like LZs or maybe some recon to enemy positions so when we bomb an airfield the damage we do it's twice as much when is not reconed (like old Airforce War from =BY= squad)

Come on; any creative people suggestions for this great bird in TAW?

Buenas 'Che :)
I have not looked at what loadouts the Po-2 has available, does it have supply drop? My guess is no but it was used often to re-supply partisans and surrounded troops in the rear with weapons, food etc. If something can be done to simulate a supply drop that could also work just like with the Ju-52s. You could have designated 'partisan' areas that are hidden for blue just as the FJ drops are hidden for Red. The Po-2's can resupply these areas and if a certain level is reached there is a chance to capture the AF, or totally destroy part or all of the AFs defenses - so tanks have an easy time capturing it. 

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=57048&name==LG=Blakhart

Got serious hits on Yak1 in a spin.
Solid 3-4 seconds.
in real life combat guy would blow up in for 1000 pieces, but after last patch we shoot with Harribo Bears...
harribo.jpg.80cf7a19ef293a1e1189c8b79d8d2757.jpg ( or maybe even Harribo bear can make more than 0.05 %  damage)
Nevermind...
Guy managed to recover from flat spin, then he ran away to airbase.

Later, low at ground level couldn`t finish this damaged Yak1 in full healthy 109F-4 because some random player pushed one magic button ---> "flaps" 

(Which is keeping big ego [edited] since 2014 ūüėĄ ūüėĄ ūüėĄ )

Then I disengaged due to AAA at airbase. Smoking from every hole Yak turn back, pushed flaps button once again, regained speed in 3 seconds to be able to chase full healthy 109 F4 (at emergency power). 
I made few push-pull tricks to avoid enemy fire. He was too far for a shot and serious damage...

Then - wing off from 400-500 m.

0_0... [edited]

1 hit = 100%

[edited]

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1