=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

4 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

ok but when the mission will be over (German wins) the server will be closed for 1-2 month again?

No, still two more maps to fly.

2 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

after, after it. How many time does server needs to start the company again?

nice kakthon

after fix bug we can return to previous state?  i feel blues last night knows how to take adavantage of this situation. and does it  :) 

the new formula for win a taw seems are the next...

first mission ; send fighters to sum depots.... kill all AAA , seems its not dificult if you have enought skilled pilots

second mision : send some ju88 s  whit max load ( small bombs ) . destroy depot.

third mission : attack front airfields.... if no have AAA stay in, kill all you find, and all can spawn.

forth mission ;  send some ju52 and capture paratroopers.

next mission : continue the party.

pd: All this process work better if your team have biggest numbers and reds not have enought players for cover all options.

:)

I have to say, well played for blue team. You know how to use your options. 

And we, red team, can do the same ?? 

from first to third mission yes.... but i never find blue base with no AAA

forth mission ; impossible for us...

next missions :  kill enemy AT, protect our tanks, wait like 2/3 missions until tanks conquer base..

are bases important for win maps? 

What team have more easy for win maps ?

Remeber capture conditions: ( I dont find on manual but im sure are on some place )

- 51% of damage

- radius 10 kms  from base

- drop zone 4 kms

- valid zone can stay at 12 kms

- 6? ju52 need drop all paratroopers .

- Any advice for red team.

- Any idea of drop zone for red team.

:):):)

i hope this " litte" advantage can be managed on next editions.

Anyway, I repeat, well played blue side. And of course THX to admins for provide us this great entertaiment .

Cmon red team! we can do better!

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu

He said he'd restart the kuban map and that's fair. 

Within one day the map moved very far. LW planes were buzzing around Russian airfields (Kras and Viselky especially) without getting shot at by flak, because the Russian flak didn't spawn. When we flew as VVS, we received quite the shellshocks even by 88mm German flak from far range. Pushed backwards 50km within one day. Not cool. 

5 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Within one day the map moved very far. LW planes were buzzing around Russian airfields (Kras and Viselky especially) without getting shot at by flak, because the Russian flak didn't spawn. When we flew as VVS, we received quite the shellshocks even by 88mm German flak from far range. Pushed backwards 50km within one day. Not cool. 

Read that in Donald Trumps voice. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

46 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

after, after it. How many time does server needs to start the company again?

As per forum rules add two extra weeks to the normal TAW turn-around time for asking. 

26 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

20 minutes ago, CptSiddy said:

Read that in Donald Trumps voice. 

I tried but my hands were too big. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Drinkis said:

5 hours have already passed, come on!

Playing on this server is a privilege, not an entitlement. The admins put in quite a bit of charity work for our simming pleasure and we should act accordingly.

• Upvote 5

salute xjammer.

i read your comments and maybe amb wrong but i think we  have different point of view about how to play taw. And i think both are fine . We all free to play on the way we more enjoy.

I understand your point of view ,  one live is a resource .. if you lost your live but you can kill 3 enemys before. is  ok. I think is a valid option.

For other players,  keep alive is not a stats question, is a play style.

For other players like chima. keeping alive is a play style and because he is one of the best pilots you can find here... he can obtain very well stats... but i assure you , many other players doing same , have lot of deaths.... is a lucky and  of course skill thing.

You can ask to cuttlas, what pilot was  cover him on many of her raid on deep enemy territory. Maybe have unexpected answer :) 

666Giap style is try stay alive and inflinge max damage. Is not better than your own style, is different

Talking from personal point of view, you dont read me saying,  you are   exploiding the game, of course in dont like your style semi kamikaze , but is reasonable for you , you enjoy it and u dont break any rule. perfect.

Dont mistake a certain game style with a stat padder style... u perfectly know what is the padder style... fly only friendly territory, no attack to ground, etc , etc. Chima isnt the case  but anyway you can belive whatever you want . I think you are wrong in this case.

PD : Remember , on past , vvs win maps because blue lost all pilots.  Of course if all your team do same you are doing, blue win. But again, is a play style... on general we are ordinary people, no especial one.. on general we think is better be carefull of our virtual live .  I repeat play styles,  personal option, no need cross accusations.

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I respect the work of the developers of this server. However, I don’t understand why the community cannot be kept informed, so that there’s no question "why, when ...". The only thing I know is that there is some kind of problem with AA. However, neither the timing nor the time of the technical work we were not told. That is why I said my displeasure on this matter.

I'm also not quite sure why, after one of the parties to the conflict wins, the server is closed for almost 2 months (like last time). I don’t observe other servers like this (the WOL wasn’t even close), but I want to fly.

The developers are doing a great job for us. I sincerely respect them, but the fact that no one notifies anyone and the huge time intervals when I can not go to the server makes me sad.

The long time of TAW being down between campaigns - that's one point, yeah, I believe it is too long as well.

But the other point you mention, Drinkis, is that you want to be informed about what Kathon is doing the whole time. I disagree. If you work on something like this, especially at the Computer, you enter work-flow. If he always paused it and go back to the forums, to tell what he has done now here and there - he would interrupt the work-flow. He would also receive discussions on when and how all the time, would have to justify every small change, and the thread would blow up. 

So, no. Let Kathon do his magic. And remember - he also has a job. Expect that he is probably at work now, and will fix the server in the evening.

Playing on TAW is a privilege - not an entitlement. As Manstein16 said.

P.S. The problem was that Russian airfields had no Flak. I have seen it yesterday. Such bugs can happen, scripting and mission design is not trivial. So I suppose there may be a map reset, and a restart of Kuban map. Give Kathon some time.

P.P.S. Siddy, I don't sound entirely like Donald Trump. I will speak in longer sentences now. You are a deplorable person!😲

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

I respect the work of the developers of this server. However, I don’t understand why the community cannot be kept informed, so that there’s no question "why, when ...". The only thing I know is that there is some kind of problem with AA. However, neither the timing nor the time of the technical work we were not told. That is why I said my displeasure on this matter.

I'm also not quite sure why, after one of the parties to the conflict wins, the server is closed for almost 2 months (like last time). I don’t observe other servers like this (the WOL wasn’t even close), but I want to fly.

The developers are doing a great job for us. I sincerely respect them, but the fact that no one notifies anyone and the huge time intervals when I can not go to the server makes me sad.

I understand you have lot of free time but we don't. Developing TAW is time consuming and we are still developing this server so maybe that is the reasons of such long brakes between each campaign.

Now stay patient as it appear that this bug isn't easy to fix.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, =LG=Leutnant_Artur said:

I understand you have lot of free time but we don't. Developing TAW is time consuming and we are still developing this server so maybe that is the reasons of such long brakes between each campaign.

Now stay patient as it appear that this bug isn't easy to fix. 

Take as much time as you need. Thank you for your work, sir!

btw id appreciated if one day u'll add night missions (or at least late evening, it is very atmospheric to fly under the night sky).

We now return you to the ever-evolving yet simultaneously ever-devolving ego driven dick waving contest that buries the posts of anybody trying to actually suggest and reasonably debate future improvements.... 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, HR_Tofolo said:

What's so hard to understand regarding VYa and Gunpods?

Chima is only pointing that reds have limited cannons (even the I-16 shvaks!!) while blues have them unlimited (the only limitation is the Macchi on the first map). Even the stuka has its 37mm gunpods unlimited on the first map.  Just limit them the same way the reds have. 

Regarding paratroopers, on the first editions (way before Ju-52s) both sides had them but since the pe-2 is faster than its homonyms, the airfield capturing system was limited to tanks only. 

I'm curious about the VYa/gunpods as well. What's the hell is so hard on understanding that while gunpods are trade off load providing higher fire power at the cost of significantly hampering plane's performance, while VYa improves the firepower significantly for no cost at all? Moreover the VYa limitation is in force on the map #1 (Il-2) and map #3 (Lagg-3) only. There is no ShVAK limitation regarding the I-16 mentioned in TAW manual. The VYa restriction should be compare to the Mk103 restriction in case of Hs129 (map #3 and #4) rather than fighter plane gunpods. I tend agree that the early map availability of Bk3,7 could be an issue. Personally, I think that bombs are better option for tank buster operation specifically on Stuka, since they do not affect the plane performance as much (not at all once they're dropped) and are more reliable than Bk. But that's just my opinion.

Another case which could be take out of the context is the bomber load. Using your and Chimango's logic the LW shall whine all the day that they are not allowed to use SC1000+ bombs (except Stuka and He-111). Do you really mean that the Heinkel with e.g. SC1800/2500 would be such devastating "über" bomber? I doubt. Still I see the reason why these big bombs are/should be restricted. Thus there's no reason for whine. Nor is regarding the VYa restriction.

The only point I agree with you to some extent are paras. Yet they balance the overall advantage VVS has in CAS abilities. I know some people argued with me regarding that statement few days ago, saying that everything was changed since last patch. I made few tests since then realizing only that Il-2 armed with two all-AP VYas is perfectly capable of killing about six PzIV/III tanks for single ammo load with ease. Add bombs and rockets. No LW planes can get as close to such effectiveness in terms of dealing with armor units at comparable "easiness" (since guns are always easier to use than pin-point accurate bombing). Still paras are using to transport the slowest and weakest plane and usually the most predictable approach (since any other option would limit each Ju52 pilot for single flight per mission).

Allies:  All our fighters early on, and almost all our fighters later on severely under perform vs. Axis, but one of our weakest fighters has a good gun.

Axis: We can't have that.

Allies: We have IL-2 ground attackers that Axis never had a truly comparable counterpart to.

Axis: We have a heavy bomber that hits hard (111), a fast bomber that is hard for fighters to catch with exceptional payload (88), a dive/light bomber that can make pinpoint strikes + throw single-strike heavy punches (87), and a heavy fighter that was repurposed as a heavy ground destroyer when it was withdrawn from the Battle of Britain and moved to the Eastern Front (110).  It's fast and can still fight well air-to-air. 

Allies: We have the Pe-2 light bomber. It's reasonably fast, has decent protection at the rear and is tough.  Trying to use it offensively air-to-air is suicide except for ACE pilots.

Axis: We have paratroopers!

Allies: Currently, we have no effective counter strategy available.

Axis: While we see your point, we'll still take it.  Too bad, so sad for you, Allies. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 9

yea generalizing and to pigeonhole all players surely will lead into a productive discussion and great atmosphere. Slowly i think that it would be best to lock this thread during campaigns...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drinkis said:

btw id appreciated if one day u'll add night missions (or at least late evening, it is very atmospheric to fly under the night sky).

We had a lot of "late evening" missions during the current campaign, especially on maps #2 and #3

I remember one especially on Winter Moscow map when the night felt completely after 1 hour of mission, it was fun attacking tank columns with just the light of the moon 😃 

(I'm grounded for now because I'm on holidays and I don't have access to my Sim computer, so I can't confirm if it's still the case on Kuban map)

7 hours ago, xJammer said:

P.S. @=FPS=Cutlass is an example of a player who treats his life as a resource. Him and his group in teamspeak has repeatedly destroyed many of the blue tank columns and defences. I would say that he has done more towards his team's victory than your streak, Chimango.

This is not a good example. Chimanov continually blows our group cover over the target. Not one column of tanks was stopped due to the work of his group. Il-2 could in relatively easy conditions to work on the goal, receiving timely warning about the appearance of the enemy in the target area, preparing its attack on the strike aircraft, and often just seeing how fall from the sky Chimanov downed enemy planes. Well, the fact that he is more than a fighter than a stormtrooper or bomber and he likes air battles - so it says it hot Latin American temperament.....it's hard to blame him......;)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, Operation_Ivy said:

Slowly i think that it would be best to lock this thread during campaigns...

Thats actually a very good idea imho.

• Upvote 1

Looking at Xjammers sorties it looks like a lot of his "landings" are belly landings at his own airfield presumably since lowering landing gear takes too much time.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

El servidor ha sido detenido. La falta de AA en el error de aeródromos debe ser corregida. Voy a reiniciar luego el mapa de Kuban.

Good luck and thank you very much for your dedication.

3 hours ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

salute xjammer.

For other players like chima. keeping alive is a play style and because he is one of the best pilots you can find here... he can obtain very well stats... but i assure you , many other players doing same , have lot of deaths.... is a lucky and  of course skill thing.

[...]

Dont mistake a certain game style with a stat padder style... u perfectly know what is the padder style... fly only friendly territory, no attack to ground, etc , etc. Chima isnt the case 

17 minutes ago, =FPS=Cutlass said:

This is not a good example. Chimanov continually blows our group cover over the target. Not one column of tanks was stopped due to the work of his group. Il-2 could in relatively easy conditions to work on the goal, receiving timely warning about the appearance of the enemy in the target area, preparing its attack on the strike aircraft, and often just seeing how fall from the sky Chimanov downed enemy planes. Well, the fact that he is more than a fighter than a stormtrooper or bomber and he likes air battles - so it says it hot Latin American temperament.....it's hard to blame him......;)

Touché.

The server is running. No AA on the airfields has been fixed (Mission Editor changed the format of the Mission file 😖)

I also added fast and simple work around to Ju-52 paratroopers:

- Ju-52 are not available on the front line airfields

- Drop Zone is generated when damage of the airfield is more then 65% (was more than 50% before)

- Probability of capturing the airfield now equals AF_dmage% - 20% (was AF_damage% before). So if AF is completely destroyed the probability is now 80% not 100%

- Damage to the airfield when paratroopers don't capture it has been lowered. 

The Kuban map #6 has been restarted.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 9

19 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

The server is running. No AA on the airfields has been fixed (Mission Editor changed the format of the Mission file 😖)

I also added fast and simple work around to Ju-52 paratroopers:

- Ju-52 are not available on the front line airfields

- Drop Zone is generated when damage of the airfield is more then 65% (was more than 50% before)

- Probability of capturing the airfield now equals AF_dmage% - 20% (was AF_damage% before). So if AF is completely destroyed the probability is now 80% not 100%

- Damage to the airfield when paratroopers don't capture it has been lowered. 

The Kuban map #6 has been restarted.

Nice quick solutions for Ju52s, I'm curious to see how it will work!

3 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Allies:  All our fighters early on, and almost all our fighters later on severely under perform vs. Axis, but one of our weakest fighters has a good gun.

Allies: We have IL-2 ground attackers that Axis never had a truly comparable counterpart to.

Axis: We have a heavy bomber that hits hard (111), a fast bomber that is hard for fighters to catch with exceptional payload (88), a dive/light bomber that can make pinpoint strikes + throw single-strike heavy punches (87), and a heavy fighter that was repurposed as a heavy ground destroyer when it was withdrawn from the Battle of Britain and moved to the Eastern Front (110).  It's fast and can still fight well air-to-air. 

Allies: We have the Pe-2 light bomber. It's reasonably fast, has decent protection at the rear and is tough.  Trying to use it offensively air-to-air is suicide except for ACE pilots.

Axis: While we see your point, we'll still take it.  Too bad, so sad for you, Allies. 

lololololol ... that summarizes it lolol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

@=LG=Coldman @=LG=Kathon i had this situation for the third time, i would call it a technical server problem:

I have a good combat sortie, getting ground and/or airkills then i "lose connection to the server". But it's not on my side, because other Internet stuff is working fine (TS and co.). Then i check my stats and don't get the stuff credited. When i click on the combat sortie (e.g. this one from last hour: https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=54583&name=II./JG77_Manu*) it shows all my kills, but not on the main page with the overall stats. There it says  (0/0) for GK/AK.

Now i am no stats hunter and don't care too much about it, but what is the point when it doesn't show up correctly? I am not the only one in my squad to get those "connection lost" situations and loosing all kills as well. 

Anyway, just asking, you can't cover everything i guess. I really relish your server, great stuff and keep up the good work 🙂

Edit: I also didn't get a combat mission for it, which leads to me getting less aircraft back. In contrary to the stats, that actually has some influence in my flying 🤔

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

9 hours ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

Planes carry over to new maps but in this situation, Kuban map didn't load properly and after fixing by Kathon, planes were reset.

Thanks for the update Mikhael - hopefully the inventory will be carried over as appropriate on the next map.

20 hours ago, xJammer said:

666GIAP really like their 23mm... :) 

I believe TAW bugged on the last mission and all of the frontline airfields did not have any meaningfull AAA. In previous missions depots (when we were working on them) had full set of AAA defences as per usual.

I fly both sides and I agree with them. Especially after the much improved damage model. Wings are not just popping off anymore which is great for all aircraft. The 109 empennage is still a bit weak in my opinion.

3 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

I also added fast and simple work around to Ju-52 paratroopers: ...

Thank you Kathon - these are very good changes to keep the paratroopers at a reasonable level, mainly because they are only available to one side.

One more item suggested would IMO make the update even more complete and fair while only one side benefits (for your consideration):   If a random troop/AAA group was spawned in the center of the paratroop drop zone, it would fulfill two objectives:

- Provide some protection/defense for the side being attacked, so there is some comparable risk to the attacker given the amount of reward if successful

- When the troops spot enemy aircraft, they will call out this information so that the defending side can take appropriate actions and defend the area

There will still be an advantage to the attacking side, as the defending side can only take airbases/towns through tank column advances.  However, these extra changes on top of what you’ve already done will make the environment much “more fair.”  Once the Russian side gets transport aircraft, it would make sense to apply the same restrictions, then it would be fair across the board.

Thanks!

Edited by AKA_Relent

11 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Whatever you say to justify, you're still an ........ for doing this. 

Feel free to call me that if I do this to you on a server where killing pilots is not directly rewarding ;) Just imagine a game where teabagging your opponent's corpse would heal you.

@666GIAP_Tumu

I appreciate your comment! And believe me I recognise that different people have different approaches to the game. My comment was in response to Chimango's general approach to arguing - belittle and discredit anyone who disagrees with him, not argue with rationale and logic. But you do show that not everyone is like that in your squad, so much respect to you!

@=FPS=Cutlass

I never said stat-padders were entirely useless. They are less effective than they could have been if they cared less about preserving their streaks. Stat padder would not take a 30% chance to die while taking out AAA at a tank column in a low-population situation (where you can't expect support). While those who work towards the win have a 70% chance to make a game-changing impact.

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Blue side AFs also did not have AAA. Not only reds. So the situation was symmetrical on both sides.

Edited by xJammer

17 minutes ago, xJammer said:

@=FPS=Cutlass

I never said stat-padders were entirely useless. They are less effective than they could have been if they cared less about preserving their streaks. Stat padder would not take a 30% chance to die while taking out AAA at a tank column in a low-population situation (where you can't expect support). While those who work towards the win have a 60% chance to make a game-changing impact.

Those who are chasing high personal statistics usually do not risk their ass, getting involved in outright adventures to cover their attack aircraft in the numerical minority.  Most often, they are usually looking for singles, lying in wait near the airfields of taking off bombers without cover, steal padded planes punching them in the aisles on the aisles and generally profess the tactics of "hit and run". The benefits for the team from such people are quite small. Simonov, unlike them, is always ready to act in the interests of the team, despite the difficult conditions. 

The fact that he doesn't get along with you or rather rudely talking on the forum - does not mean that it is useless for the team.

Quite the opposite.

But a little more respect for the opponent in the debate he probably would not hurt...:drinks:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

. The 109 empennage is still a bit weak in my opinion.

The IL2 empennage is more weak for the flying tank.

8 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Wonderful! Just missed one:

Allies: We are outnumbered most of the time most TAW editions, reaching peaks of 60-20, and even if we want to join to reduce that gap we can´t because server it's full. Limit the slots!

Axis: We can´t have that, it will ruin our coordination and also our paratroopers don´t like being bothered by commies. Sides are balanced, cause during last week of august 2017 on map #8 at 2:00AM there was a 15v14  favouring reds. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

At this point anyone reading the last few pages must think that Allies have supermen pilots, able to battle twice the number of Axis with worse aircraft and inferior capturing technology. Afterall they won twice already! :lol:

21 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

Wonderful! Just missed one:

Allies: We are outnumbered most of the time most TAW editions, reaching peaks of 60-20, and even if we want to join to reduce that gap we can´t because server it's full. Limit the slots!

Axis: We can´t have that, it will ruin our coordination and also our paratroopers don´t like being bothered by commies. Sides are balanced, cause during last week of august 2017 on map #8 at 2:00AM there was a 15v14  favouring reds. :biggrin:

Well, there have been some times that Allies held the numbers but, those times are surely proportionately shorter and with small max team numbers than the other way around.   But yeah, that seems to be the gist of what we often times see.   

As far as the other discussion of "stat padders" goes:   Those of us who prefer to fly Pe-2s do get into many bomb runs where losing the plane is possible - even if we do fly cautiously. So stat padding is not really a luxury for this play style.  It doesn't help that it was explained to me that if the player attacking the Pe-2 has a +1 plane and it's apparent the Pe-2 has damaged it, they will attempt to ram and just get a +1 replacement in the next round.  Meanwhile the Pe-2 pilot has to do transports 3 times or fly 3 other combat missions to get a replacement if their overall bomber pool is at zero.   On this, I call bullshit.  Make at least 1 type (.37 or .85) of combat Pe-2 a +1 plane or give use a larger max pool of earned Pe-2s we can build up to.

6 minutes ago, xJammer said:

At this point anyone reading the last few pages must think that Allies have supermen pilots, able to battle twice the number of Axis with worse aircraft and inferior capturing technology. Afterall they won twice already! :lol:

I'll concede, Axis does get a lot of newer and less experienced pilots who just want to fly the "more legendary" types of planes like the 109.  So while Axis regularly does hold superior numbers, Axis also has a fair amount of fresh meat as well. 

I just want to say that 10:0 player count is so much more significant than a 50:25 advantage. You can literally solo airfields if there isn't a player there to defend it:

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50224&name=xJammer

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50271&name=xJammer

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=50326&name=xJammer

I do have some player damage in one of the sorties, but nobody actually came to defend the airfield - the guy just spawned a pe2 that thankfully did not PK my pilot as I strafed it. This is last map attacking Trudo airfield with starts from Zhuto

Edited by xJammer