=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

I think I will fly just to die the next maps.

Admins, if you really look for a great competition with great battles put a real AAA on AF, just on Hollywood movies see a 3 fighters killing all over the AF.

By the way with all of this, you lock the Vya23 on Lags.

As a friend say, WHAT A JOKE

666GIAP really like their 23mm... :) 

I believe TAW bugged on the last mission and all of the frontline airfields did not have any meaningfull AAA. In previous missions depots (when we were working on them) had full set of AAA defences as per usual.

Edited by xJammer

3 minutes ago, xJammer said:

666GIAP really like their 23mm... :) 

I believe TAW bugged on the last mission and all of the frontline airfields did not have any meaningfull AAA. In previous missions depots (when we were working on them) had full set of AAA defences as per usual.

Is not only that we like, the lagg is not the best fighter, why you take off the only good thing that it have?

You can use the gunpods on your BFs and you don´t loose more then a 5% as fighter or I am wrong? Limitations?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, xJammer said:

Paratroopers were used constantly throughout many of the TAW campaigns since they were introduced. Those that do it knew the way long before this iteration of TAW began.

The higher the numerical superiority of the side having landing aircraft-the more effective are the missions for the landing. Because the parties in the majority have the strength to : 1. cover their most important tank columns 2. strikes on the nearest enemy airfields as a preparation for their subsequent capture of the landing. 3. attacks on rear warehouses, reducing the number of enemy tanks in the columns and their anti-aircraft cover.  While the numerical superiority of the Luftwaffe was not so overwhelming-the impact of landing operations was not so much noticeable, because the red army air force had enough forces to patrol the possible points of landing. For example, in today's mission, in order to disrupt the landing operation to capture the Akhtyrskaya airfield, it would be necessary to attract all the available forces to block only the possibility of throwing out the landing.  In the current form, the opposition of the parties on the server is reduced to two things : 1. destruction of warehouses 2. vyvedenie down enemy airfields. And the Luftwaffe has nothing reasonable handicap, if not cheat. At the opposite ratio of forces at the Luftwaffe will not even have time to engage in amphibious operations-because there will be more urgent tasks and primarily have to restrain opponents on all fronts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

why you take off the only good thing that it have?

Roll rate?

High damage resistance?

Stability at low speeds (especially with rapid flap deployment).

Let's not pretend that the Lagg3 is shit. It's got some pretty favourable aspects to it. There is a reason that it's flown by so many experienced pilots quite often exclusively, even when 'historically' better planes are available.

14 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Roll rate?

High damage resistance?

Stability at low speeds (especially with rapid flap deployment).

Let's not pretend that the Lagg3 is shit. It's got some pretty favourable aspects to it. There is a reason that it's flown by so many experienced pilots quite often exclusively, even when 'historically' better planes are available.

Not completely right your position, the Lagg is a really good airplane, but you can´t compare the Lagg3, with F4, G2s or FW if you have this planes why we can´t have the 23mm cannon?

Now F4 can easy follow my yak1 ser69 in 6 turn and leave the combat unharmed .

You know why we used it, because if you give us a chance to shoot, that shoot will be determinant on the fight, why so many experienced blue pilots pick up gunpods, because if they have 1 change is game over for the red.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

There is a reason that it's flown by so many experienced pilots quite often exclusively

You know what that reason is? Vya23mm; other than that specially in TAW most pilots would choose even a MiG-3 instead.

Roll rate and damage resistance? Ask any pilot if you give them to choose between that, or=> speed + acceleration + rate of climb + dive speed limit + turn rate...what would they choose? I already know the answer.

2 hours ago, xJammer said:

666GIAP really like their 23mm

Nah, we are more of a MiG-3 and Yaks unit. You know what we like? Having good fights against good pilots in a fair competition; that’s why we liked TAW and that’s why we don’t understand such advantages given to one faction.

We are all veterans with more than 12 years participating in online wars, and some of us have tolerated so many LW spoiled fan boys over those years, that right  now have zero patience for them.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

We are all veterans with more than 12 years participating in online wars, and some of us have tolerated so many LW spoiled fan boys over those years, that right  now have zero patience for them.

I guess its one of those cases where excessive experience clouds the better judgement ;) I think both sides made their arguments for or against keeping 23mm in the same category as 1ton bombs. Lets focus on other aspects of balance/gameplay, i.e. paras for airfield capture, weak AAA defences on airfields and depots and so forth. 

I also suggest to get some patience stocked up as without it comments tend to start getting less rational, emotional and borderline offensive. :) 

Edited by xJammer
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JG5_Schuck said:

Mobile BBQ.

If i understand you correctly,

What you are advocating is having along side my suggestion/solution, the German depots as transfer depots/hubs,

the destruction of which, would in some way reduce or remove the ability of front line aircraft to have unlocks/modifications, (or even their availability?)

in order to simulate the disruption of supply and logistics,

In the same way the destruction of supply convoys and trains would for the Russians?

If so, it sounds a fair point to me........

I think we are on a similar page.  We can't actually destroy train tracks so that component is missing. 

Russian rail systems weren't affected by the railway shipping issue as Germany was so (in-game) depot loss would not (historically) effect the Russian side.

However, it's reasonable to assume that Germany bombed every Russian-controlled rail line it didn't see as essential to capture intact instead.  

So, Yes. Maybe there should be a supply line component that limits how far heavy bombers could advance relative to the front lines and what could be brought to those forward fields should be limited by how well-supplied it is.  You CAN get the extra plane mods (big bombs, extra cannons, etc.) but you'd have to take off from farther back on the map. If you want a fighter with a standard setup and some small bombs, then you can use frontline fields.  Keep in mind however, that certain mods that could be efficiently packed onto trucks (gunpods, small bombs, airplane parts and motors and the like) would still be able to be moved all the way up to the front if enough trucks made it through.  Pe-2's, IL-2's, 110's, Hs-129s, Stukas, and, to some extent, heavy bombers like the Ju-88 and He-111 were able to run from frontline or close-to-the-front bases. 

Keep in mind that during the Battle of Britain, Axis bombers launched from airbases that weren't to far behind the French coast and did all their forming up and climbing before crossing the channel.  Of course, the channel itself was a great natural distance barrier and German AAA support and fighter cover was just too much for Britain to just 'hop over the ditch' and effectively raid these fields.  This just points out the possibility for 111's and 88's to operate more forward, but on the Eastern Front, I'm sure they were stationed farther back until logistics could move up and setup the defensive equipment needed.  Keep also in mind that, at least early on, the Blitzkrieg tankers and infantry often-times left their support supplies in the dust and struggling to catch up, so having more than fighters and Stukas operating close to the front would have been unlikely until the war 'settled in' and was going to be a more drawn out affair.

Eventually, if Russia gets a heavy bomber to work with, then it too would have certain restrictions on how far is feasible to realistically move it toward the front.  With their size and the fact that Russia had many well-supplied areas to the east that Germany just couldn't touch, there was no point in running them as front or even mid-line planes. 

When you think you have read it all,  there goes xjammer asking others to stay on topic, rational, and not get offensive 🤦🏻‍♂️

Really man, relax your trolling a bit now, go and have fun ramming Pe2s after they landed, keep shooting at pilots hanging on their chutes even when their team is severely outnumbered; keep calling others stat-padders  when they don’t go in a one way trip suicide mission;  keep gaming the system all you want turning il2 into an arcade airquake...and let us, the mentally unstable guys who want to keep il2 and TAW as a flightsim enviroment,  find  the best way to have an even better experience for all.

• Upvote 2

Ok, now is the first time I (as well as many other NA pilots, I guess) have a chance to play the current map since its start, and it is already almost lost. I guess the only way to have any impact there is to ignore sleep and work...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mincer said:

Ok, now is the first time I (as well as many other NA pilots, I guess) have a chance to play the current map since its start, and it is already almost lost. I guess the only way to have any impact there is to ignore sleep and work...

Well, no surprise, two of the three airfields captured by the German side were captured by - you guessed it - paratroopers! :).   It's like a big free get out of jail card in Monopoly.  No waiting for the tanks to make their move on the field over three missions, just go and get it.  Assuming we will have to wait until the next round to limit paratrooper effectiveness Kathon was hinting at.  Something else this map makes more difficult - the reduced number of airfields and the large space in between.  Looks like both sides are focusing on clobbering the frontline airfields.. makes for long flight times, yikes :).

• Upvote 2

The server has been stopped. The lack of AA on the airfields bug must be fixed. I will restart then the Kuban map.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

When you think you have read it all,  there goes xjammer asking others to stay on topic, rational, and not get offensive 🤦🏻‍♂️

I have been doing this from the very start ;) 

Really man, relax your trolling a bit now,

Disagreeing with you is not trolling.

go and have fun ramming Pe2s after they landed,

Nice one bringing up individual case that happened because the gunner shot out my stab while I was strafing the Pe2!

keep shooting at pilots hanging on their chutes

Had server not had the pilot resource and combat missions tied to pilots I guarantee you I wouldn't be wasting my time trying.

even when their team is severely outnumbered; keep calling others stat-padders  when they don’t go in a one way trip suicide mission;  keep gaming the system all you want turning il2 into an arcade airquake...

Well anyway, your post is again just an attempt to discredit someone who disagreed with you and attempted to explain to you why.

So let me explain to you how the server works. You have a set of aircraft and your team has a set of resources such as territory, aircraft, tanks or pilot lives and so on. Players then use these resources to attempt to win the map. Whichever side trades off some of their resources to gain monopoly in the other wins the map and subsequently game.

What I am trying to get at is that in TAW, contrary to your belief, life is a resource. And if you can spend life to gain an advantage in territory you are doing much better than a player who chooses to stay alive, sacrificing the opportunity for the victory.  I have nothing against stat-padders btw I completely understand that such people are motivated by personal streaks and roleplay over their own team's victory. Just remember that TAW victory condition is monopoly of a resource, not the size of one's streak or length of his or her experience bar.

Also if you do choose to take such risky missions (instead of choosing to prese your life at the expense of the victory) you eventually become quite competent at it!

and let us, the mentally unstable guys who want to keep il2 and TAW as a flightsim enviroment,  find  the best way to have an even better experience for all.

I do not believe unstable people, even if they recognise themselves as such, should be guiding direction of the server ;) However I do believe there are some groups in IL2 community that create roleplay missions. Those may be more suitable for your playstyle?

P.S. @=FPS=Cutlass is an example of a player who treats his life as a resource. Him and his group in teamspeak has repeatedly destroyed many of the blue tank columns and defences. I would say that he has done more towards his team's victory than your streak, Chimango.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, I'm not really into stat padding, but being this map will probably be over so soon, I think I'll farm combat missions and build my plane set for the next one.  

16 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

..., I think I'll farm combat missions and build my plane set for the next one.  

I'm not sure it's working 100%, so don't count on it.  I had just earned a Yak-1b 127 on the previous map, but once the current Kuban map started, I had 0/1 Yak-1b 127 in my inventory, so it didn't appear to carry over.

1 hour ago, xJammer said:

Had server not had the pilot resource and combat missions tied to pilots I guarantee you I wouldn't be wasting my time trying.

Whatever you say to justify, you're still an ........ for doing this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AKA_Relent said:

I'm not sure it's working 100%, so don't count on it.  I had just earned a Yak-1b 127 on the previous map, but once the current Kuban map started, I had 0/1 Yak-1b 127 in my inventory, so it didn't appear to carry over.

Planes carry over to new maps but in this situation, Kuban map didn't load properly and after fixing by Kathon, planes were reset.

Guys come on, why's server getting close? Is that so hard NOT TO CLOSE IT? i flew only for 4 days, and i cant wait 2 month untill it'll be open again!

No panic - it will open up soon again. There was a big with the current mission that the airfields had no AAA

36 minutes ago, PeterZvan said:

No panic - it will open up soon again. There was a big with the current mission that the airfields had no AAA

ok but when the mission will be over (German wins) the server will be closed for 1-2 month again?

4 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

ok but when the mission will be over (German wins) the server will be closed for 1-2 month again?

No, still two more maps to fly.

2 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

after, after it. How many time does server needs to start the company again?

nice kakthon

after fix bug we can return to previous state?  i feel blues last night knows how to take adavantage of this situation. and does it  :) 

the new formula for win a taw seems are the next...

first mission ; send fighters to sum depots.... kill all AAA , seems its not dificult if you have enought skilled pilots

second mision : send some ju88 s  whit max load ( small bombs ) . destroy depot.

third mission : attack front airfields.... if no have AAA stay in, kill all you find, and all can spawn.

forth mission ;  send some ju52 and capture paratroopers.

next mission : continue the party.

pd: All this process work better if your team have biggest numbers and reds not have enought players for cover all options.

:)

I have to say, well played for blue team. You know how to use your options. 

And we, red team, can do the same ?? 

from first to third mission yes.... but i never find blue base with no AAA

forth mission ; impossible for us...

next missions :  kill enemy AT, protect our tanks, wait like 2/3 missions until tanks conquer base..

are bases important for win maps? 

What team have more easy for win maps ?

Remeber capture conditions: ( I dont find on manual but im sure are on some place )

- 51% of damage

- radius 10 kms  from base

- drop zone 4 kms

- valid zone can stay at 12 kms

- 6? ju52 need drop all paratroopers .

- Any advice for red team.

- Any idea of drop zone for red team.

:):):)

i hope this " litte" advantage can be managed on next editions.

Anyway, I repeat, well played blue side. And of course THX to admins for provide us this great entertaiment .

Cmon red team! we can do better!

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu

He said he'd restart the kuban map and that's fair. 

Within one day the map moved very far. LW planes were buzzing around Russian airfields (Kras and Viselky especially) without getting shot at by flak, because the Russian flak didn't spawn. When we flew as VVS, we received quite the shellshocks even by 88mm German flak from far range. Pushed backwards 50km within one day. Not cool. 

5 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Within one day the map moved very far. LW planes were buzzing around Russian airfields (Kras and Viselky especially) without getting shot at by flak, because the Russian flak didn't spawn. When we flew as VVS, we received quite the shellshocks even by 88mm German flak from far range. Pushed backwards 50km within one day. Not cool. 

Read that in Donald Trumps voice. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

46 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

after, after it. How many time does server needs to start the company again?

As per forum rules add two extra weeks to the normal TAW turn-around time for asking. 

26 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

20 minutes ago, CptSiddy said:

Read that in Donald Trumps voice. 

I tried but my hands were too big. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Drinkis said:

5 hours have already passed, come on!

Playing on this server is a privilege, not an entitlement. The admins put in quite a bit of charity work for our simming pleasure and we should act accordingly.

• Upvote 5

salute xjammer.

i read your comments and maybe amb wrong but i think we  have different point of view about how to play taw. And i think both are fine . We all free to play on the way we more enjoy.

I understand your point of view ,  one live is a resource .. if you lost your live but you can kill 3 enemys before. is  ok. I think is a valid option.

For other players,  keep alive is not a stats question, is a play style.

For other players like chima. keeping alive is a play style and because he is one of the best pilots you can find here... he can obtain very well stats... but i assure you , many other players doing same , have lot of deaths.... is a lucky and  of course skill thing.

You can ask to cuttlas, what pilot was  cover him on many of her raid on deep enemy territory. Maybe have unexpected answer :) 

666Giap style is try stay alive and inflinge max damage. Is not better than your own style, is different

Talking from personal point of view, you dont read me saying,  you are   exploiding the game, of course in dont like your style semi kamikaze , but is reasonable for you , you enjoy it and u dont break any rule. perfect.

Dont mistake a certain game style with a stat padder style... u perfectly know what is the padder style... fly only friendly territory, no attack to ground, etc , etc. Chima isnt the case  but anyway you can belive whatever you want . I think you are wrong in this case.

PD : Remember , on past , vvs win maps because blue lost all pilots.  Of course if all your team do same you are doing, blue win. But again, is a play style... on general we are ordinary people, no especial one.. on general we think is better be carefull of our virtual live .  I repeat play styles,  personal option, no need cross accusations.

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I respect the work of the developers of this server. However, I don’t understand why the community cannot be kept informed, so that there’s no question "why, when ...". The only thing I know is that there is some kind of problem with AA. However, neither the timing nor the time of the technical work we were not told. That is why I said my displeasure on this matter.

I'm also not quite sure why, after one of the parties to the conflict wins, the server is closed for almost 2 months (like last time). I don’t observe other servers like this (the WOL wasn’t even close), but I want to fly.

The developers are doing a great job for us. I sincerely respect them, but the fact that no one notifies anyone and the huge time intervals when I can not go to the server makes me sad.

The long time of TAW being down between campaigns - that's one point, yeah, I believe it is too long as well.

But the other point you mention, Drinkis, is that you want to be informed about what Kathon is doing the whole time. I disagree. If you work on something like this, especially at the Computer, you enter work-flow. If he always paused it and go back to the forums, to tell what he has done now here and there - he would interrupt the work-flow. He would also receive discussions on when and how all the time, would have to justify every small change, and the thread would blow up. 

So, no. Let Kathon do his magic. And remember - he also has a job. Expect that he is probably at work now, and will fix the server in the evening.

Playing on TAW is a privilege - not an entitlement. As Manstein16 said.

P.S. The problem was that Russian airfields had no Flak. I have seen it yesterday. Such bugs can happen, scripting and mission design is not trivial. So I suppose there may be a map reset, and a restart of Kuban map. Give Kathon some time.

P.P.S. Siddy, I don't sound entirely like Donald Trump. I will speak in longer sentences now. You are a deplorable person!😲

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

I respect the work of the developers of this server. However, I don’t understand why the community cannot be kept informed, so that there’s no question "why, when ...". The only thing I know is that there is some kind of problem with AA. However, neither the timing nor the time of the technical work we were not told. That is why I said my displeasure on this matter.

I'm also not quite sure why, after one of the parties to the conflict wins, the server is closed for almost 2 months (like last time). I don’t observe other servers like this (the WOL wasn’t even close), but I want to fly.

The developers are doing a great job for us. I sincerely respect them, but the fact that no one notifies anyone and the huge time intervals when I can not go to the server makes me sad.

I understand you have lot of free time but we don't. Developing TAW is time consuming and we are still developing this server so maybe that is the reasons of such long brakes between each campaign.

Now stay patient as it appear that this bug isn't easy to fix.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, =LG=Leutnant_Artur said:

I understand you have lot of free time but we don't. Developing TAW is time consuming and we are still developing this server so maybe that is the reasons of such long brakes between each campaign.

Now stay patient as it appear that this bug isn't easy to fix. 

Take as much time as you need. Thank you for your work, sir!

btw id appreciated if one day u'll add night missions (or at least late evening, it is very atmospheric to fly under the night sky).

We now return you to the ever-evolving yet simultaneously ever-devolving ego driven dick waving contest that buries the posts of anybody trying to actually suggest and reasonably debate future improvements.... 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, HR_Tofolo said:

What's so hard to understand regarding VYa and Gunpods?

Chima is only pointing that reds have limited cannons (even the I-16 shvaks!!) while blues have them unlimited (the only limitation is the Macchi on the first map). Even the stuka has its 37mm gunpods unlimited on the first map.  Just limit them the same way the reds have. 

Regarding paratroopers, on the first editions (way before Ju-52s) both sides had them but since the pe-2 is faster than its homonyms, the airfield capturing system was limited to tanks only. 

I'm curious about the VYa/gunpods as well. What's the hell is so hard on understanding that while gunpods are trade off load providing higher fire power at the cost of significantly hampering plane's performance, while VYa improves the firepower significantly for no cost at all? Moreover the VYa limitation is in force on the map #1 (Il-2) and map #3 (Lagg-3) only. There is no ShVAK limitation regarding the I-16 mentioned in TAW manual. The VYa restriction should be compare to the Mk103 restriction in case of Hs129 (map #3 and #4) rather than fighter plane gunpods. I tend agree that the early map availability of Bk3,7 could be an issue. Personally, I think that bombs are better option for tank buster operation specifically on Stuka, since they do not affect the plane performance as much (not at all once they're dropped) and are more reliable than Bk. But that's just my opinion.

Another case which could be take out of the context is the bomber load. Using your and Chimango's logic the LW shall whine all the day that they are not allowed to use SC1000+ bombs (except Stuka and He-111). Do you really mean that the Heinkel with e.g. SC1800/2500 would be such devastating "über" bomber? I doubt. Still I see the reason why these big bombs are/should be restricted. Thus there's no reason for whine. Nor is regarding the VYa restriction.

The only point I agree with you to some extent are paras. Yet they balance the overall advantage VVS has in CAS abilities. I know some people argued with me regarding that statement few days ago, saying that everything was changed since last patch. I made few tests since then realizing only that Il-2 armed with two all-AP VYas is perfectly capable of killing about six PzIV/III tanks for single ammo load with ease. Add bombs and rockets. No LW planes can get as close to such effectiveness in terms of dealing with armor units at comparable "easiness" (since guns are always easier to use than pin-point accurate bombing). Still paras are using to transport the slowest and weakest plane and usually the most predictable approach (since any other option would limit each Ju52 pilot for single flight per mission).

Allies:  All our fighters early on, and almost all our fighters later on severely under perform vs. Axis, but one of our weakest fighters has a good gun.

Axis: We can't have that.

Allies: We have IL-2 ground attackers that Axis never had a truly comparable counterpart to.

Axis: We have a heavy bomber that hits hard (111), a fast bomber that is hard for fighters to catch with exceptional payload (88), a dive/light bomber that can make pinpoint strikes + throw single-strike heavy punches (87), and a heavy fighter that was repurposed as a heavy ground destroyer when it was withdrawn from the Battle of Britain and moved to the Eastern Front (110).  It's fast and can still fight well air-to-air. 

Allies: We have the Pe-2 light bomber. It's reasonably fast, has decent protection at the rear and is tough.  Trying to use it offensively air-to-air is suicide except for ACE pilots.

Axis: We have paratroopers!

Allies: Currently, we have no effective counter strategy available.

Axis: While we see your point, we'll still take it.  Too bad, so sad for you, Allies. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 9

yea generalizing and to pigeonhole all players surely will lead into a productive discussion and great atmosphere. Slowly i think that it would be best to lock this thread during campaigns...

• Like 1