Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Shampoo_Actual

Hello folks,

New player here, War Thunder convert.  I love the immersion on this server - if you like to stay alive vs. go all Call Of Duty all the time, it's intense.  Mainly a ground player but I am looking forward to learning to fly.   I've only got a few ground kills so far on the server, but one thing I've noticed is that shortly after knocking out an enemy I am set upon by enemy planes.  Most recently I was in a well covered position on a hill in some thick woods and knocked out a T34.  About 3 minutes later I'm taking accurate cannon fire from a plane, who technically should not be able to see me under the trees.  Is this just excellent enemy communication, or an "air revenge kill?"

These air revenge kills are part of what is killing the WT ground player experience (lol there is far more worse than that though): you shoot an enemy tank only to have him fly directly back to you and drop a bomb 1-2 minutes later.  Is this a common thing on IL2?   If so is there anyway to fix it so the immersion gets even better?

Not complaining, just wanting to learn more.

LLv34_Untamo
20 minutes ago, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

Is this a common thing on IL2?

Well this is a first time I've heard about it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I would say it's pretty unlikely. More likely is that someone in the air saw you fire. The cannon tracers are quite well visible from the air. That, or the destroyed T-34 driver told everyone your location in the chat. It takes about a minute to get airborne, and flying 10-20km takes several minutes, so I would guess that it wasn't the same guy. If you do still suspect such, I suggest you don't loiter in the same spot where you made the kill from.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 2
69th_Mobile_BBQ

I did some ship bombing last night.  I'm 100% sure that I hit the correct targets and the mission log reports no friendly fire.  The mission log also says that I destroyed Russian type ships.  Are Russian type ships being used for Axis convoys and battle groups as well?  

Also, I wasn't in that location but, some Allies tank drivers in chat were complaining that the only way to reach a sector (#2, IIRC) control point was over a river that had no bridge.  

I'll include the sortie log so you can see the time of day for mission cycle in which this occurred.   

Sortie: 08.02.2021 - 03:04 / 69th_Mobile_BBQ / VirtualPilots (IL2 stats)

RedKestrel
33 minutes ago, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

Hello folks,

New player here, War Thunder convert.  I love the immersion on this server - if you like to stay alive vs. go all Call Of Duty all the time, it's intense.  Mainly a ground player but I am looking forward to learning to fly.   I've only got a few ground kills so far on the server, but one thing I've noticed is that shortly after knocking out an enemy I am set upon by enemy planes.  Most recently I was in a well covered position on a hill in some thick woods and knocked out a T34.  About 3 minutes later I'm taking accurate cannon fire from a plane, who technically should not be able to see me under the trees.  Is this just excellent enemy communication, or an "air revenge kill?"

These air revenge kills are part of what is killing the WT ground player experience (lol there is far more worse than that though): you shoot an enemy tank only to have him fly directly back to you and drop a bomb 1-2 minutes later.  Is this a common thing on IL2?   If so is there anyway to fix it so the immersion gets even better?

If you check the sortie logs, you should be able to see if it is the same player. Still, even if it was he would have to find you and spot you.

LLv34_Temuri
21 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

If you check the sortie logs, you should be able to see if it is the same player. Still, even if it was he would have to find you and spot you.

Sadly, the tank sortie logs are a bit lacking regarding this.

• Sad 2
RedKestrel
Just now, LLv34_Temuri said:

Ah, shoot. Well, not much to be done then.

Shampoo_Actual

Thank you for all the great replies, since thankfully there is no "kill cam" in the game, the dead enemy can not immediately tell where the shot came from (as easily in WT where once you schwack a player, he gets a nice neat replay of exactly where your shooting spot was....... and this is their so called "realistic mode" LOL).  I think in both cases the players turrets were turned in my direction so they would have the ability to see my muzzle blast before meeting their makers.  And yes I learned all about sortie logs today but no way yet to tell who is do the schwacking of me.  ;^)  I love this game and you guys are most helpful.  I hope more come, I think many will.

1 hour ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

I did some ship bombing last night.  I'm 100% sure that I hit the correct targets and the mission log reports no friendly fire.  The mission log also says that I destroyed Russian type ships.  Are Russian type ships being used for Axis convoys and battle groups as well?  

Also, I wasn't in that location but, some Allies tank drivers in chat were complaining that the only way to reach a sector (#2, IIRC) control point was over a river that had no bridge.  

I'll include the sortie log so you can see the time of day for mission cycle in which this occurred.   

Sortie: 08.02.2021 - 03:04 / 69th_Mobile_BBQ / VirtualPilots (IL2 stats)

And yet the Germans still lost, I was there.  LOL

Edited by 11thPanzer_Pete
wrong post
  • Upvote 1
CCG_Pips

@11thPanzer_Pete

A tankman will have a lot of difficulties to re spawn in a plane, to return to the position where he was killed some minutes ago and mainly find the precise position of your tank.

From air, it is very hard to find a tank under trees cover. The most probably reason is that an attacker was in the sky when you killed the T-34 and saw the fire of your gun and localization of the bullet. Then, it was easy for him to deliver a big payload on your tank.

No_Face

Question:I have never really been interested in statistics in this game but looking at my statistics page yesterday, I see that my 2 sorties in tank are considered as "destroyed tank" whereas I ended the mission with a tank in working order and my side of the front line. Was it because I was too far from the spawn?

------------

Yesterday evening, with two other German tanks, we went to where the Russian troops were. There seemed to be only carcasses. I spent several minutes looking for a target that was still alive without success. I don't know if this is a bug or if the last target was very well hidden but would it be possible to consider the enemy troops as destroyed when 98% (for example) of them were killed in order to validate the objective even in the event of a bug (a target which would be all land or in water for example)?

------------

On 2/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, ACG_Talisman said:

I am still left wondering why a passionate 'Tanker' would not be frequenting a 'Tanker' focused MP server

Because there really isn't. I believe that all the servers that I have seen offering to play with tanks also offer to play with planes.

GOA_Firebird_
On 2/6/2021 at 7:49 AM, Enigma89 said:

You should hop on discord and ask around. A lot of people seem to find each other on there. Also I just made a video that breaks down all of the rules/mechanics + my thoughts on the Finnish server so you may find it helpful.

Amazing video Enigma.

• Like 1
315_R2r
23 hours ago, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

Just FYI - usually would recommend and try to do that when have team m8 with me - one in the tank get the air cover where needed ...

Also when you get shoot (no matter in tank or plane) inform the team m8 where it happened - this is obvious tactic - even in the chat if not on some discord etc...

As for the spotting in the deep forest from the air - the plane with the gunners can order the gunners to shoot ground target, if you are the only one in the range they will shoot at you no matter how well you are hidden - I call it radar gunners and has been many times 'radar-ed' like this when was attempting the targets :) - you need to keep moving not to stay in one the same spot - otherwise the radar gunners would be followed by bombs soon.

There was the same option for the AI gunners in the tank, but has been disabled on this server.

AFAIK - it is not possible to disable it for planes - right @LLv34_Temuri?

22 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Not only that, there is really not much in the tank's logs :) at least on the stats page :)

• Upvote 1
Colosky

il y a des jours ou tout va mal, je part sur un dépôt 1 situé au nord d'une rivière, après avoir roulé 50 mn, j'arrive pour traverser

et à ma surprise le pont n'y était pas, seulement un bande de sable, espérant passer je tente la traverser et là...glou glou 

je redémarre sur le dépôt du sud sans problème, et une fois en place je commence à tirer, SANS EFFET, j'étais certainement un char invisible

deuxième perte de temps pour rien, sinon perdre des points, comme je suis tenace, je déconnecte et relance le jeu pour repartir sur le même dépot 

mais cette fois en passant proche d'une temporary un 110 mal intentionné m'a achevé pour la journée d'une seule bombe....

je pense que ces bugs vont finir par m'user, et je ne parle pas des rochers invisibles en forêt.

Mm1ut1
On 2/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

Hello folks,

Well I have to admit that I have done it in the past. Spend 45 minutes getting into position to attack a defense and getting whacked by someone in an ambush, then climbing into an attack aircraft to seek revenge. Takes a lot longer than a couple minutes though.
Used to be not many ground guys and aircraft left you alone. Not anymore! Tanks are easy to spot when they fire. Aircraft actively seek player tanks. You definitely need cover, or expect air attack. Best to shoot and scoot when enemy aircraft in the area. Get on srs.

and pray someone hears you !

• Like 1
13/JG5_Luck

Recently I had a discussion regarding the possibility to destroy enemy temp fields by attacking hangers and other installation. Is that really possible? Thx for a short clarification.

CCG_Pips
3 hours ago, Colosky said:

il y a des jours ou tout va mal, je part sur un dépôt 1 situé au nord d'une rivière, après avoir roulé 50 mn, j'arrive pour traverser

et à ma surprise le pont n'y était pas, seulement un bande de sable, espérant passer je tente la traverser et là...glou glou 

je redémarre sur le dépôt du sud sans problème, et une fois en place je commence à tirer, SANS EFFET, j'étais certainement un char invisible

deuxième perte de temps pour rien, sinon perdre des points, comme je suis tenace, je déconnecte et relance le jeu pour repartir sur le même dépot 

mais cette fois en passant proche d'une temporary un 110 mal intentionné m'a achevé pour la journée d'une seule bombe....

je pense que ces bugs vont finir par m'user, et je ne parle pas des rochers invisibles en forêt.

Translation of above text from Colosky.....😉

There are days when everything is bad, I go to fRONT depot 1 located north of a river, after driving 50 minutes, I arrive to cross and to my disapoitment the bridge was not there, only a strip of sand, hoping to pass I try to cross it and there ... glou glou....My tank is sunking. I respawn on the south tank position, I go to South front depot without problem, and once in place I start firing, NO EFFECT, I was certainly an invisible tank second loss of time for nothing, if not losing points, as I am tenacious, I disconnect and restart the game to play again on the same Front depot but this time while passing near a temporary a malicious 110 finished me for the day with only one bomb .... I think these bugs will wear me out eventually, and I'm not talking about invisible rocks in the forest.

Edited by CCG_Pips
Enigma89
10 hours ago, GOA_Companere*VR-* said:

Amazing video Enigma.

Thx you! Glad a lot of people are finding it useful. The props should really go to the Finnish devs, they are making wine out of water with the IL-2 netcode and making things really interesting and fun for everyone. 

Teniente_Dan

Another one here. It's just a pleasure to have a server like this constantly populated.

I just wish I had 10-20 servers as populated as Finish!

Looking forward to play with somebody, I am getting tired of playing alone, the bad thing is that I cannot speak at night when I play most, but I already have Discord and SRS.

LLv34_Temuri
13 hours ago, No_Face said:

would it be possible to consider the enemy troops as destroyed when 98% (for example) of them were killed in order to validate the objective even in the event of a bug (a target which would be all land or in water for example)?

It already is like that. Were the dugouts and bunkers destroyed too?

Edit: And if there are targets in the water, let us know. We can then remove the "free area" mapping in question.

13 hours ago, No_Face said:

Was it because I was too far from the spawn?

Most likely still closer to enemies than friendlies. The frontline isn't 100% accurate.

12 hours ago, 315_R2r said:

it is not possible to disable it for planes

Indeed it is not possible.

7 hours ago, CCG_Pips said:

bridge was not there, only a strip of sand

When this happens, let us know the location. It may be the bridge is missing in the template.

7 hours ago, 13/JG5Luck said:

possibility to destroy enemy temp fields by attacking hangers and other installation. Is that really possible?

No. We don't have airfields that can be destroyed.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
Heliopause

Yesterdayevening I flew two missions on the server. On both I got shot down by invisible plane. Later I looked

at recordings I made  and still no enemy plane visible (not even tracers just the strikes on my plane).

Maybe more people had this happen?

6FG_Big_Al
15 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

Yesterdayevening I flew two missions on the server. On both I got shot down by invisible plane. Later I looked

at recordings I made  and still no enemy plane visible (not even tracers just the strikes on my plane).

Me and my mates had this bug happen a lot of times now. You hear and see nothing etc. until your plane get's scrapped. My best tip is to fly with someone and check if you you see eachother. In the worsed case you have to rejoin the server to get rid of the bug.

E69_Qpassa_VR
28 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

There's a thread in bug reports subforum

CDRSEABEE
33 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

Happened to me yesterday. By the chat there was an IL2 over the CP. I was looking at the CP and didn't see or hear anything. The IL2 finally kiiled me.

DeKrieg
On 2/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, LLv34_Temuri said:

Yeah but a bit of detective could work around that.

If they go to the profile of the pilot that killed them and then check their life history and confirm if they were in a tank prior to being in an attacker. Or just check the time stamps on when that player took off and when the tank was killed. If it overlaps it would confirm the plane was airborne when the initial tank was killed

ACG_Talisman
1 hour ago, Heliopause said:

Yes, I have had this.  I looked at the stats after and the stats indicated that it was a Bf109 that was invisibly shooting at me.  I have stopped flying the server for a while due to such strange happenings.

Happy landings,

Talisman

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

I get the invis plane bug in Finnish maybe one sortie in eight. I haven't gotten it in months in CombatBoX. I don't fly Wings of Liberty enough to know what it would be there. I've had the invis plane bug more lately - once every night, maybe once every other night in Finnish.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck
CDRSEABEE

Logged on about 6 times today. 3 times couldn't see planes nor ground vehicles played by players.

It really difficult to play when you get killed by invisible enemy!

=X51=Viper_VR

To reduce frustration, try spawning at a busy airfield, see if you can spot any friendlies around on the ground or in the air. Even better with a wingman. If not -> relog. Still shit but at least you wont fly around for hours to only notice the bug when dead already by an invisible enemy

CDRSEABEE
35 minutes ago, =X51=Viper_VR said:

To reduce frustration, try spawning at a busy airfield, see if you can spot any friendlies around on the ground or in the air. Even better with a wingman. If not -> relog. Still shit but at least you wont fly around for hours to only notice the bug when dead already by an invisible enemy

Yeah. Good idea. I like tanks the most. Not always someone around. 

LLv34_Untamo

@Heliopause@6FG_Big_Al@CDRSEABEE@NO.20_Krispy_Duck@=X51=Viper_VR
Everytime you notice that you are having the bug, don't immediately leave, but spawn on a busy airfield, record a short track. Send the track (with corresponding mission folder in the tracks folder) to the devs. It's the only way we will have a chance to some day resolve the issue.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 1
WokeUpBlue
10 hours ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Logged on about 6 times today. 3 times couldn't see planes nor ground vehicles played by players.

It really difficult to play when you get killed by invisible enemy!

Same experience for me today. It’s unusual, in months of flying I only had the invisible plane bug once before, now three times on the same map. I will remember to record next time.

LLv34_Untamo

S!

Just updated the campaign app with a couple of new features:

- Historical accuracy: term "Russians" -> "Soviet"

- Refactored "passenger" handling. Most visible effect of this will be that any trolls now joining a plane/tank and then proceeding to fire on the plane/tank that they are occupying, or any other friendly vehicle, they will get punished.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 1
VBF-12_Sluggo

Invisible planes,  I get this once and a while.  Usually going to a spot with a few enemy and no one there.

However, I have noticed it MOST on Stalingrad > Winter map.  I can expect it there.  

Other than that awesome time always here!

ilmavoimat

Hi guys. Would it be possible to check the kick logs for tonight? After an hour and a half of being kicked after take off I gave up. Airfields were populated each time and airstarts were OK for supply flights. Tried half a dozen airfields and restarted the game twice, still got kicked every time. No idea why! Cheers.

P.S. After restarting yet again did a quick circuit of Illarionovsky (0423-5) in a Yak 1, everything OK. Then tried to supply sector 1 para drop, got kicked for the sixth time. After nearly two hours of being constantly kicked I gave up!!

Edited by ilmavoimat
LLv34_Untamo
9 hours ago, ilmavoimat said:

Hi guys. Would it be possible to check the kick logs for tonight? After an hour and a half of being kicked after take off I gave up. Airfields were populated each time and airstarts were OK for supply flights. Tried half a dozen airfields and restarted the game twice, still got kicked every time. No idea why! Cheers.

P.S. After restarting yet again did a quick circuit of Illarionovsky (0423-5) in a Yak 1, everything OK. Then tried to supply sector 1 para drop, got kicked for the sixth time. After nearly two hours of being constantly kicked I gave up!!

Yeah there seems to be bugs in the new passenger handling I implemented recently. Probably already found the culprit, or at least one cause. Will try to fix asap.

ilmavoimat
7 hours ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

Yeah there seems to be bugs in the new passenger handling I implemented recently. Probably already found the culprit, or at least one cause. Will try to fix asap.

Thanks for that. Flew blue Ju52 this afternoon and no problems....................other than an La-5!!

13/JG5_Luck

I did a paratrooper supply last night after the information came that tank ressources would go short. Everything went fine, I could see the troopers on their parachutes going down within the blue landing zone and I mad it back safely to the airfield. The mission was recorded, but without any score. What did I do wrong? I released the paratroopers right above the blue smoke. I'm confused...

CCG_Pips
31 minutes ago, 13/JG5Luck said:

I did a paratrooper supply last night after the information came that tank ressources would go short. Everything went fine, I could see the troopers on their parachutes going down within the blue landing zone and I mad it back safely to the airfield. The mission was recorded, but without any score. What did I do wrong? I released the paratroopers right above the blue smoke. I'm confused...

Same for me two days ago.

Also, for TEMURI or UNTAMO

other trouble: seems that for tankmen, it is now random to survive or not 😲

examples:

This morning, I attacked the two AA defense positions on German bridge. I was straffed by a BF-110 G2 and my engine was out of service (cannot repair it) ......then after a new attack of the same BF-110 G2, I go out from my tank. End of mission was at short distance of the Red lines and no German troops near of my position. Son after the end of the mission, my tank was considered as destructed but tankcrew healthy and I was not "dead" or "prisonner".

This afternoon, my friend Colosky, goes to an attack on a front depot at about 10 kms behind German lines. He was damaged by German AA on front depot, and repaired damages on road back to red lines. Then, after crossing the red lines, he drove his tank near to the red troops (so far away (10 kms) INSIDE of red lines!!!

Result after the end of the mission, he is considered as "dead" and tank destructed !!!!!!

So you have, there a big trouble with tanks results and so on it begin now difficult to play as a tanker.

As far as I consider that tankmen have to return inside of their lines to be not counted as "prisonners" or "dead", as far I do not understand how to be sure to be still alive after a mission, looking to above examples....

Many thanks if you can have a close check to that problem.

Heliopause

So much fun driving a tank lately. Especially spotting at the enemy temp base for the fighters 😀🤪

spotting 1.png

Hi Admin,

Owing to the fact that it is becoming a little tiresome continually watching reds win, rather than just jumping sides and play red, would the admin's perhaps have another look at the blue aircraft / tank number limitations and type selections please, in the interest of the server not becoming like other servers?

In the stats, team blue appear to kill more air and ground targets but at 7: 1, I'm not sure how they can ever win.

In-addition, could you move the tank spawn area a little further away from say an objective, as I'm fed up being spawn killed by player(s) who then justify it by saying that they were at the objectives!

Thank you

H

Edited by Haza
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1