DCS

carve_gybe

9./JG27golani79
22 hours ago, dburne said:

That is basically where I am now with the Hornet.

I have progressed through learning takeoffs and landings off the Super Carrier, navigating with waypoints, tacan, using ILCS for carrier traps.

Many hours I have put in just for this alone. Now I am trying to tackle learning how to use the weapons systems. This is a bump in the road that has already stalled me at least a couple of times, where I go to other games for a while. But I am intent on finally being able to fly combat in the Hornet - hopefully I can get there at some point this year.

Too many sims and games, too little time.

Did you create custom missions to train navigation and stuff or just fly the training missions over and over?

I´m in the progress of learning systems in my first modern jet as well and asking myself what would be the best way progressionwise to do so.

2 hours ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Did you create custom missions to train navigation and stuff or just fly the training missions over and over?

I´m in the progress of learning systems in my first modern jet as well and asking myself what would be the best way progressionwise to do so.

I did a training mission or two first, then I just used Chuck's Guide for the Hornet and the cold start mission off the carrier in the Persian Gulf.

And did it over and over many times. I used this for learning the cold start, takeoff, navigation using waypoints and tacan, along with the ILCS for carrier traps.

Now I am using his guide for weapons, and the single qualification missions. I will also review Wags videos on each weapon.

I created a custom kneeboard with Kneeboard Builder and broke his guides down into segments and display them on the image in my VR Headset. Toggle it on and off as required. I will probably reference a training mission here and there.

4 hours ago, Robli said:

I finally figured out the IFF part, I think.

I have come to a conclusion that IFF never ID's a bogie as hostile. The result is only friendly (correct response to interrogation) or ambiguous. To ID a bogie as hostile, non-cooperative recognition is needed (requires lock on target) or to get that information through datalink from AWACS or another friendly donor.  I am open to being corrected, if someone has better knowledge of that matter.

I wonder how much friendly fire is that causing in multiplayer environment.

Great something else now I need to learn lol.

:dash:

Edited by dburne
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Bremspropeller
10 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

But if you do not BRRRRRTTT!, it will require an intervention.

You must BRRRRRRTTTTT!

Everyone must BRRRRRRRTTT!

Even Ernie must BRRRRRRRTTTT!

cc84e2270080e36b1cddcf405da988d4.gif

Can you tell me, how many pews are in a dakka and how many dakkas are in a brrt?

Seems to the, those are some kind of messed up imperial units.

11 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Then the F-15E later - the Mud Hen is my Jam.

Spoiler

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 1

CanadaOne
32 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Can you tell me, how many pews are in a dakka and how many dakkas are in a brrt?

Seems to the, those are some kind of messed up imperial units.

A BRRRRRTTTT! is both a unit and a philosophy, in the same way that a photon can be particle and a wave.

And as stated by Heisenbrrrrrttttt!: if you know how many PEWS are in a BRRRRTTT!, you cannot know how many DAKKAS stem from the PEW.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Heisenbrrrt is my favourite philosopher.

I'm not sure if he's mine or not.

I'll see myself out.

• Haha 4

Ok back to school this morning.

First up a few more tries with the Aim 9x's. Just because they are fun.

Then bombs baby. Lots of bombs.

I am going to finally learn this thing to where I can actually fly a campaign off the Super Carrier.

The Force is great with this one.  Oops wrong game...

Edited by dburne
  • Haha 2

Well I ended up spending the day fine tuning my sidewinder and sparrows abilities along with guns  - ending up with the Amraams this afternoon. I think I have a decent handle on those now.

Tomorrow will be bombs - and goodness there are several to learn/choose from along with the different bomb delivery methods.  Probably spend at least a day or more on those.

And I still have so much more to learn. By the time I have finished I probably will have forgotten this early stuff lol.

AndyJWest
1 hour ago, dburne said:

Tomorrow will be bombs - and goodness there are several to learn/choose from along with the different bomb delivery methods.  Probably spend at least a day or more on those.

I'd start with simple iron bombs in CCIP mode. By far the easiest way to blow things up, as long as they aren't shooting at you. Good old-fashioned unguided rockets are fun too.

I've been trying to get the hang of CCRP mode, which is theoretically safer for a defended target. You'll probably have to fiddle around with the TDC axis sensitivity for this (assuming you have some sort of proportional axis control for the TDC - I wouldn't like to do it via the keyboard), as trying to set the pointer accurately on the HUD is a pain in the posterior. At least, it seems to be that way for me. And even when you've got it aligned, CCRP mode seems to be much less accurate, unsurprisingly.

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd start with simple iron bombs in CCIP mode. By far the easiest way to blow things up, as long as they aren't shooting at you. Good old-fashioned unguided rockets are fun too.

I've been trying to get the hang of CCRP mode, which is theoretically safer for a defended target. You'll probably have to fiddle around with the TDC axis sensitivity for this (assuming you have some sort of proportional axis control for the TDC - I wouldn't like to do it via the keyboard), as trying to set the pointer accurately on the HUD is a pain in the posterior. At least, it seems to be that way for me. And even when you've got it aligned, CCRP mode seems to be much less accurate, unsurprisingly.

Yeah I already have an axis on my new Virpil CM3 throttle assigned to TDC.

Thanks for the tip, will start with the iron bombs in CCIP mode.

Much left to learn, but this time I am outright determined to finally get it done.

I am going to fly a campaign in the Hornet off the super carrier in the Persian Gulf come hell or high water.

Bremspropeller

Does anybody know how to engage that carrier approach box overlay in the lower right hand corner at 3:24?

9 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Does anybody know how to engage that carrier approach box overlay in the lower right hand corner at 3:24?

Its an old video, pre dating  SC and a thousand patches. According to all the documentation Ive seen, it should appear when you hit RCTL ENTER to bring up the controls indicator but seems to have been dropped in favour of the ED IFLOLS overlay. 

14 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

An important step in dcs learning is finding out whats broken or bugged. Im sure I dont need to tell you that though. It can save hours of frustration when things dont seem to be going according to plan. Not saying CCRP is bugged in the bug, just a general observation. 

• Thanks 1

DD_fruitbat
14 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I'm afraid your probably doing something wrong then, CCRP bombing is pretty damn accurate considering they're dumb bombs.

Engage barometric altitude hold, turn on the ATC (automatic throttle control), move the Tpod to the target, TDC depress to mark the target and then follow the symbology cues, and from 10000ft you can hit a truck, wind notwithstanding. 

Also, I would very much recommend ditching the TDC on an axis, and use a hat switch instead, its way easier imo, at least that's what I've found, I ditched it on an axis ages ago.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 2

41Sqn_Skipper

Why do they park other aircraft in front of the OLS in the case 1 instant missions of the F14? It's already hard enough to see the damn ball. 

Bremspropeller

Probably to make you use the IFLOLS overlay, which only works accurately for the Hornet anyway. 🙃

AndyJWest
3 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I'm afraid your probably doing something wrong then, CCRP bombing is pretty damn accurate considering they're dumb bombs.

Engage barometric altitude hold, turn on the ATC (automatic throttle control), move the Tpod to the target, TDC depress to mark the target and then follow the symbology cues, and from 10000ft you can hit a truck, wind notwithstanding. 

Also, I would very much recommend ditching the TDC on an axis, and use a hat switch instead, its way easier imo, at least that's what I've found, I ditched it on an axis ages ago.

I was doing CCRP the way Chuck's Guide shows it (p. 280-285), without the TPod, in a shallow dive. Probably bound to be less accurate, so I'll give your way a go. 👍

DD_fruitbat

One advantage of CCIP bombing with dumb bombs, is the ability to drop multiple bombs on different targets in one attack run if they are in a line. You can still stay reasonable high CCIP bombing, although the higher you drop the less accurate it will be,

If I'd dropped lower the bombs would of been closer to the pickle point, but they were close enough.

l

16 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I was doing CCRP the way Chuck's Guide shows it (p. 280-285), without the TPod, in a shallow dive. Probably bound to be less accurate, so I'll give your way a go. 👍

Without a Tpod, you'll never get the aim point anywhere near as accurate, so the bombing will never be as accurate. You can still use CCRP in a dive by the way.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

AndyJWest

Yeah, I really need to learn how to use the TPod properly. And how to do proper dive bombing like that too. At the moment, I'm more likely to be dropping (in CCIP) from 2,000 ft than 12,000, in a much shallower dive, which does little for survivability.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Confused 1

Bremspropeller

The best way of getting ahed in DCS - at least that's what I think - is going on a server with a couple of guys on Teamspeak or Discord and haave them talk you through the procedure.

Things like Chuck's guide are great for reading about it AFTER you've done it, but you can skip a lot of steps and still have things work great. You'd have a much easier time, not dpoing it the pedantic ways like Chuck's guide would have you do it.

• Upvote 1

DD_fruitbat
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Yeah, I really need to learn how to use the TPod properly. 

The TPod is an incredibly powerful tool for ground attack, whether in a Hornet, Viper, A10 etc.. Used in conjunction with mark points (something I'm really looking forward to getting in the Viper in the future) in the Hornet, it means you can find targets from 20 miles plus and then use them on an attack run with Mavericks, something which is great fun, and particularly useful on targets that will fire back.

In this vid, I use the TPod to find 2 targets, mark them, and then quickly slave them to 2 Mav F's at max range at 2 SAM sites, so avoiding getting to close to them.

I really enjoy using the TPod, and if its available, always take it if I'm doing any type of ground attack. As an aside, I also really enjoy using the HMCS to look at a target on the ground and press a couple of buttons and have the TPod slaved there in the Hornet and A10, very cool stuff!

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

The best way of getting ahed in DCS - at least that's what I think - is going on a server with a couple of guys on Teamspeak or Discord and haave them talk you through the procedure.

Things like Chuck's guide are great for reading about it AFTER you've done it, but you can skip a lot of steps and still have things work great. You'd have a much easier time, not dpoing it the pedantic ways like Chuck's guide would have you do it.

I've never read Chucks guides, so there defiantly not required reading!!!!

I prefer to watch videos for things I don't know, along with obviously talking and sharing information with other DD's.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

AndyJWest

I find videos ok for learning simple stuff, but but it seems easier to be able to look up the specifics for anything complex in a written guide - pausing the game if necessary. Part of the issue is the way every control has multiple functions, depending on context. This is clearly necessary for HOTAS, but must make learning it all harder.

DD_fruitbat

I tend to make my own notes whilst watching the videos, but being able to see the process helps me. Everyone learns in different ways though, so whatever works best for an individual is best....

8 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Yeah even on my new Virpil CM3 throttle I had set up the TDC axis on the button that has a push and two axis.

In trying to learn to launch the Walleyes both with and without the data link pod it was difficult to control the slew.

Think I will have to assign to a four way hat + push. Which I still have couple of spare ones on this new throttle.

Not much luck with the Walleyes though, it seems simple enough but I am struggling with it. Did pretty good earlier with the MK 83 and Mk 84 bombs.

Maybe I should just pass on the Walleyes and go for other bombs.

DD_fruitbat

Walleye is pretty simple with the TPod, I haven't ever used it without though. Don't really like them as they are huge, and cause loads of asymmetric drag after you've dropped one and still have one left, doesn't help they can only go on the outside pylons.

Turn the Walleye on, then make TPod SOI, move your TPod to the target, TDC depress (this will then make the Walleye slave to this point and look for a target there once you uncage it). Then make the Walleye SOI,  press uncage, it may take a little while for the Walleye camera to find the target where its been pointed to by the TPod, but once the cross has disappeared in front of the WE in the hud, it has (or at least something!) and you're ready to fire.

GBU's and JDAM's are my favourite bombs. Oh, CBU's are a bundle of fun to, but the F-16 has the best CBU.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

AndyJWest

CCRP level bombing with the TPod, Fruitbat's way. It took me four attempts - dropping two MK83s in each - but I managed to sink a stationary tanker from 14,000 ft. Set up for the third drop.
Screen-210123-205139.png

Close, but no cigar. ☹️
Screen-210123-205328.png

Fourth drop, kaboom! 😃Though I'm not sure it was the bomb that actually hit that did the job on its own, or whether cumulative damage from previous near misses helped.
Screen-210123-210407.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DD_fruitbat

Of course in the real world it wouldn't work, or in DCS if there was any wind in the mission, because I don't believe CCRP can account for wind drift.

However, you would take a GBU, only need to drop one, and its almost exactly the same what you have to do, as what you have just done (in fact you can be much less precise on your approach), apart from flicking the laser switch to on, shortly before bomb release.

This also means if the ship was moving you could still hit it, by placing it in a point track with the TPod.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

AndyJWest

Yeah, I'd got wind set up in the mission, which probably doesn't help. Though I suspect that in DCS it is at least allowing for the difference between the aircraft heading and track. What it can't do (or shouldn't be able to) is allow for variations in wind direction and velocity during the drop, though they probably don't have a lot of effect.

And yes, laser guidance should make things easier. Which is more expensive though, one GBU, or eight MK83s? Got to think of the taxpayers.  😉

Edit: Tried it again with no wind. Sunk 3 ships with 4 drops. 😀

Edited by AndyJWest

Bremspropeller

Screen_210124_001615.thumb.jpg.854575872ed0955b404bd9b1cd1bb2d5.jpg

Jester and I had spent a nice week out at the Batumi BOQ and O-Club, taking out "Fast Eagle 107" on a little foreign relations goodwill-tour to the georgian coastal town.

On the way back to the boat, he was still smelling like a West Virginian moonshine runner, but taking half a tank's worth of oxygen helped his headache. After levelling off at 20.000ft for the way out, he made some remarks about the peacefulness of the picturesque 8/8ths Stratus overcast below.

I wasn't so amused by the sight - I knew the boat was going to be lurking und the murky white abyss down there.

An indefinate ceiling with an estimated breakout at 900ft and just about a mile of visibility is reported by the boat, but there are tankers overhead.

Screen_210123_172510.thumb.jpg.0d9bb4b505f5b8a69bef98375f534710.jpg

On the first pass I actually make an effort to fly what might loosely resemble a Case III approach. Only the Marshal Stack is on the opposite side of where I was expecting it, so my approach after initiating the descent (I actaully got reasonably close to my Push Time) goes down the drink, while fiddling with the ALCS controls at the same time.

The first attempt at Auto-approaching fails, because of clumsy switchology and I bolter and nearly go into the drink because I had somewhat mistrimmed on approach. Down to less than 9000lbs of gas, I decide to go tank - just to be safe. The tankers are clowning around at 170KIAS and all efforts in several configurations (wings AUTO, AUTO with maneuver flaps, AUTO with landing flaps, wings in BOMB) are mootless (that's a combination of moot and fruitless).

I need to get gas on the deck.

The second approach works a little better - I'm generally ignoring all the Case III stuff (I'm the only guy around) and I intercept the BRC/ ACLS needles about 25NM out.

Flying the approach in the turbulent weather today isn't all that easy, as hefty gusts are taking me way up or way below my desired altitude. I guess Jester was clinging to his ejection-handle. His joyful cheerfulness all gone and generally awfully quiet there in the back-seat.

This time around, the ACLS manages to engage alright, even though there was quite a deviation developing when I was heads down to check on the switches. Press that pinky-button for control-transfer, and you're going for a ride!

The final approach was generally a little low and I recieved a cut-pass grade for #2 wire. Not great, but also not really terrible for the first time around.

I decide for getting some gas on the deck and going for a second try - this time in manual mode on those needles alone...

Screen_210124_013944.thumb.jpg.d04622c344230673426e85c8ef315345.jpg

The shooter signalling for two pints of ale...

Screen_210124_014018.thumb.jpg.b7c930d6f86879d042a26d00a09ec8ea.jpg

The cat takes me back out into the murk.

I climb up to 8000ft - above the clouds - and I decide to get away from the boat to set up my approach.

At 30NM slant range, I'm turning around to intercept the BRC and needles. Configuring the airplane is quite a challenge in these conditions and I finally manage to intercept the glideslope from below fairly close to the boat. The groove works out better and I manage to get an (OK) pass for #4 wire.

Jester and I decide that's plenty of adrenaline for today and as we were hearing the tankers going RTB during our final approach, there's no use in trying to land without any airbourne fuel available. So after trapping, we signal the marshallers for a parking spot and shut 107 down in 'The Street'. Her plane-captain is more than happy so see her back in one piece.

FLYTDECK.JPG

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

busdriver
9 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

One advantage of CCIP bombing with dumb bombs, is the ability to drop multiple bombs on different targets in one attack run if they are in a line. You can still stay reasonable high CCIP bombing, although the higher you drop the less accurate it will be,

IRL, you'd just drop on a single DMPI and not try pickling individually. Even in a high altitude dive (say rolling in from 20K and pickling above 10K), CCIP is much more accurate than CCRP. It was in the F-16A without DBS (doppler beam sharpening) or the snazzy kit the kids get to fly with these days. Cue the old man yelling at clouds or screaming at kids to get off his lawn.

Traveling tip for you kids at home...look at your airspeed...don't get slow up there in the low teens.

Next challenge @DD_fruitbat, load up whatever CBU and CCRP loft them on a runway...500' AGL 540 KIAS run-in and at about 4 NM smoothly pull up into a 30 degree climb. When the weapons come off roll up (knife edge) and watch them fly formation with you for a while. 

Edited by busdriver
checked my weapons guide and it's a 30 release angle
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AndyJWest
19 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Traveling tip for you kids at home...look at your airspeed...don't get slow up there in the low teens.

Yeah, I was aware that bimbling around at 260 KIAS at 14,000 ft probably wasn't optimal. It gave me a bit more time to figure everything out though. 😃

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

Next challenge @DD_fruitbat, load up whatever CBU and CCRP loft them on a runway...500' AGL 540 KIAS run-in and at about 4 NM smoothly pull up into a 30 degree climb. When the weapons come off roll up (knife edge) and watch them fly formation with you for a while. 

One time in the old sim I lofted a bomb from an F-4U (just by feel, instinct/eyeballing) at an airbase from some godawful distance...a minute later or more I got a notification for a truck kill lol

I remember an A-10 guy on the old SimHQ forum talking about looking for a bomb he'd pickled, couldn't find it, then realized he was flying formation with it, and nearly batted it with his wingtip.

14 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Walleye is pretty simple with the TPod, I haven't ever used it without though. Don't really like them as they are huge, and cause loads of asymmetric drag after you've dropped one and still have one left, doesn't help they can only go on the outside pylons.

Turn the Walleye on, then make TPod SOI, move your TPod to the target, TDC depress (this will then make the Walleye slave to this point and look for a target there once you uncage it). Then make the Walleye SOI,  press uncage, it may take a little while for the Walleye camera to find the target where its been pointed to by the TPod, but once the cross has disappeared in front of the WE in the hud, it has (or at least something!) and you're ready to fire.

GBU's and JDAM's are my favourite bombs. Oh, CBU's are a bundle of fun to, but the F-16 has the best CBU.

Thanks I will have another go with Walleyes again later today.

Can you clarify on how to make TPod or Walleye SOI?

CanadaOne
41 minutes ago, dburne said:

If it gives you any emotional security, even I managed to hit a ship with a Walleye. Mind you, now the pressure is on, eh? :P

As for SOI, I have a switch on my HOTAS, left panel/right panel/HUD, somethin like that. Can't remember the key strokes it represents though.

7 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

If it gives you any emotional security, even I managed to hit a ship with a Walleye. Mind you, now the pressure is on, eh? :P

As for SOI, I have a switch on my HOTAS, left panel/right panel/HUD, somethin like that. Can't remember the key strokes it represents though.

Thanks will give it a try.

Was not fully awake earlier, yeah I know I select that with my sensor select switch LOL.

Coffee is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

DD_fruitbat
2 hours ago, dburne said:

'Sensor control switch', left and right.

Edit, I see coffee helped you remember!

Edit 2, @busdriver, challenge accepted 🤣

Edited by DD_fruitbat

DD_fruitbat
13 hours ago, busdriver said:

IRL, you'd just drop on a single DMPI and not try pickling individually. Even in a high altitude dive (say rolling in from 20K and pickling above 10K), CCIP is much more accurate than CCRP. It was in the F-16A without DBS (doppler beam sharpening) or the snazzy kit the kids get to fly with these days. Cue the old man yelling at clouds or screaming at kids to get off his lawn.

OK, defiantly not an exact elegant replication, but pretty close I hope! I was going a bit quicker by the time I got to the target area, and by 20 degrees the drop cue happened. Probably should of started pulling up further away in retrospect (or been slower). Not gonna lie, it took me a couple of attempts to get to a spacing for the CBU's for what I wanted, and I may have face planted into the ground once on approach, but 100' run in is more fun, when its only a virtual life on the line!!!!!

Did I mention before that I think CBU's are cool!!!!

By tomorrow the vid will be in 4K and with the better codec, but takes YouTube ages to process to that stage,

Question, showing my ignorance, what does DMPI stand for? From the context you wrote it, I'm assuming whatever it stands for you meant a single drop profile for all the bombs?

What's the next challenge  :dance:

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1