DCS

carve_gybe

Bremspropeller
36 minutes ago, BOO said:

The F18 is I think the hardest to refuel. Its so twitchy and sluggish at the same time.

Try the F-14.

In the Hornet you can at least see the &&%&% tanker and the airplane doesn't start flying sideways when you deploy the probe...

I hear you, BOO. I'm much less enthusiastic about mindlessly throwing my money into some developer's direction these days.

The only developer that I'd almost blindly follow at this point are Heatblur. Still hoping for the A-6.

@DD_fruitbat

I find the Viper comparatively easy to refuel.:

It's basicly just flying formation and maintaning the sight-picture. The boom-operator does all the work for you.

The real trouble I have is that I can't properly see the &/%$§&§ belly-lights.

That Case III looks pretty good. Was that turbulence messing you up in pitch?

• Like 1

DD_fruitbat
9 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Try the F-14.

In the Hornet you can at least see the &&%&% tanker and the airplane doesn't start flying sideways when you deploy the probe...

I hear you, BOO. I'm much less enthusiastic about mindlessly throwing my money into some developer's direction these days.

The only developer that I'd almost blindly follow at this point are Heatblur. Still hoping for the A-6.

@DD_fruitbat

It's basicly just flying formation and maintaning the sight-picture. The boom-operator does all the work for you.

Yeah, I stuck a bit of a cross wind ( was mainly into the wind though) in there, but its the turbulence that I put in that really made it much harder. It really changes things. Have a go for yourself if you want, I'll pm you the mission if you do!

Re the Viper, I too think its easier than basket refuelling, and at least on a 4k 32inch monitor I can see the lights, just wish I had a lot more fidelity on my throttle and I'm loath to put a weird curve into the throttle profile, hence the new forthcoming purchase.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

Bremspropeller
21 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Yeah, I stuck a bit of a cross wind ( was mainly into the wind though) in there, but its the turbulence that I put in that really made it much harder. It really changes things. Have a go for yourself if you want, I'll pm you the mission if you do!

I have a similar mission, and I took the turbulence out, so I won't throw my rig out of the window 🤣

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Try the F-14.

I find the F14 "acceptable" in the AAR if its tuned early. The F18 though seems to have a mind of its own. The more I fly it the more I feel its trying to tell me it doesnt want or need me. I dunno, the last thing that felt this vague was my dad's Austin Princess. 

While I was waiting for redundancy and had no work I got pretty good at case 3 in the Tomcat. Most intense flying I’ve done in a sim I think. Got “quite” good at it. New job starts soon which is both good (mortgage) and pants (gets in the way of fun)

• Like 1

SeaSerpent
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Try the F-14.

@DD_fruitbat

When you refuel, were your wings swept into Bomb Mode?  Its a heck of a lot easier than when the wings are unswept.  I find the Hornet a bit more difficult.

53 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is that kinsfolk of Austin Powers?

Its what happened when the british motor industry thought it could out do the Italians for style. My older brother can remember the saleman excitedly showing my dad how the windscreen wipers sat below the bonnet for an aerodynamic advantage. What a dog. It drove crab-like from day one and spent most winters at the bottom of hills having failed to bump start.

Three years later he bought a "proper" Italian saloon. The Fiat 131 Sport. Not that he thought he was ordering the 131 Sport, he thought he'd ordered a 132. Happily he left relaying the details about what mum and him had decided to his car mad 9 year old whilst they negotiated the trade in. A little subterfuge in shouting across the salesroom "its the silver one isnt it dad?" whilst looking at the silver 131 Sport in front of me and failing to mention to the salesman that dad was, in fact, referring to a picture in the brochure and the deal was done. Dad signed the paperwork without question since he didnt know a 126 from an X1/9. All he saw was silver. That was good enough for him.

I got picked up from school the first day he got it...actually I got dragged out of school in the middle of a lesson...come the weekend however, and after a few complementary comments from the neighbours, he decided it was just the right size even if it only had 2 doors and it stayed, hilariously enough, as dad was the antithesis of the type of driver that the car was meant to appeal to.  I often wonder if it would still have been the just right size if Id have ordered it in Orange as id originally intended......probably not.

@DD_fruitbat.  That case III had me heart racing. I think its a tad easier if you get em to switch the carrier lights on though but a tad more realistic if you dont.

Edited by BOO
  • Haha 1

Bremspropeller

I always tank in Auto. Going to Bomb just transfers the twitchyness from pitch to roll.

SeaSerpent

I'd get those wings locked, not able to sweep back and forth slightly on their own (likely screwing up your trim every time you speed up or slow down to catch the drougue, even slighty.)   Optimum fixed wing sweep for refueling is 40 degrees in real life.  Bomb mode is 55 degrees, but close enough.  I don't find roll stability being a problem.  It's a LOT easier with the wings swept into Bomb mode.

Edited by SeaSerpent

Bremspropeller
5 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

I'd get those wings locked.  Optimum fixed wingsweep for refueling is 40 degrees in real life.  Bomb mode is 55 degrees, but close enough. 

That's true and optimum airspeed is 240KIAS iaw with the NATOPS. I'm just trying to challenge myself a little.

SAS off requires 200KIAS at 40° btw. I think I'll try that eventually, too, some time...

SeaSerpent

Understood.  I figured once I could tank every time with the wings in Bomb mode, I'd then start practicing doing it with the wings in Auto.  Got lazy and complacent though, and never got around to it! 😀

Bremspropeller
23 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

Understood.  I figured once I could tank every time with the wings in Bomb mode, I'd then start practicing doing it with the wings in Auto.  Got lazy and complacent though, and never got around to it! 😀

Out of likes for the day. Consider your post liked 😄

DD_fruitbat
1 hour ago, Hoots said:

While I was waiting for redundancy and had no work I got pretty good at case 3 in the Tomcat. Most intense flying I’ve done in a sim I think. Got “quite” good at it. New job starts soon which is both good (mortgage) and pants (gets in the way of fun)

Ha, expect the video content for me to go down rapidly from march to about november... I'm enjoying my quite period of the year, its where I spend time learning stuff for the rest of the year.

However, the other part of the year allows me to buy the toys for the next winter!!!!

Good luck for your new job 👍

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1

So my exercise for today was just to load up a mission with some heavy iron dumb bombs and go blow some stuff up.

Had no problem at all. Also did some cluster bombing for good measure. Blew up a lot of vehicles,  Guess I am getting close to where I want to be.

Counter measures and air to air refueling I guess will be up next.

DD_Arthur
5 hours ago, BOO said:

I dunno, the last thing that felt this vague was my dad's Austin Princess. 

You must be having one of those 'Henry Treece' moments. 

Across the road the homesick Romans made
The ground-mist thickens to a milky shroud;
Through flat, damp fields call sheep, mourning their dead
In cracked and timeless voices, unutterably sad,
Suffering for all the world, in Lincolnshire.

And I wonder how the Romans liked it here;
Flat fields, no sun, the muddy misty dawn,
And always, above all, the mad rain dripping down,
Rusting sword and helmet, wetting the feet
And soaking to the bone, down to the very heart . . .

Those poor Romans....and they went on to build all those Fiats too:(

• Haha 1

Does anyone know if the Laser Mavs are glitched in the F18 when lasing with the Tpod? I can get em to track but never lock or fire. 

I think ive watched ever video not and read every thread but no joy. 

DD_fruitbat

Not when I last tried them a month or go a so,

You probably missed this change that happened circa June last year.... watch from around 5 mins on in the vid.

Basically, use TPod to find target, arm laser (this is key, switch next to the FLIR on off switch, by right thigh) , make Maverick SOI, then press weapon release twice to fire, first time to start lasing, second to fire. If the laser switch isn't armed, nothing will happen.

EDIT, just tested, all is working fine.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

LuseKofte

Damn it, can fire rockers and some times miniguns in the huey if I switch randomly on gunselector  . Cannot fire any weapon in MI 8 anymore   all switches in correct position button on stick moves but no joy  

Gazelle and ka 50 no probs

1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Not when I last tried them a month or go a so,

You probably missed this change that happened circa June last year.... watch from around 5 mins on in the vid.

Basically, use TPod to find target, arm laser (this is key, switch next to the FLIR on off switch, by right thigh) , make Maverick SOI, then press weapon release twice to fire, first time to start lasing, second to fire. If the laser switch isn't armed, nothing will happen.

EDIT, just tested, all is working fine.

You Da Man!!

Thank you. 

So much for all of the vaunted illumini's videos. Good ole Grim Reapers.

33 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Damn it, can fire rockers and some times miniguns in the huey if I switch randomly on gunselector  . Cannot fire any weapon in MI 8 anymore   all switches in correct position button on stick moves but no joy  

Gazelle and ka 50 no probs

I am not teaching you to suck eggs but have you switched on the breakers and the master arm above your head in the Mi8?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BOO said:

Does anyone know if the Laser Mavs are glitched in the F18 when lasing with the Tpod? I can get em to track but never lock or fire. 

I think ive watched ever video not and read every thread but no joy. 

Seems to be working ok on my end.

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Seems to be working ok on my end.

It was the double press of the pickle button that had me. 

11 minutes ago, BOO said:

It was the double press of the pickle button that had me. 

Lol yeah that one got me as I was learning. And I am sure it will again.

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

Lol yeah that one got me as I was learning. And I am sure it will again.

I think its just so suspiciously easy and logical, my Harrier brain cant compute it. The "Sdby" notification got me too. All the mavs seem to lock easier at distance in the Hornet than I remember in the A10. Perhaps they do in the A10 now as well.  Just a shame I can only take 4. 

unlikely_spider
7 minutes ago, BOO said:

I think its just so suspiciously easy and logical, my Harrier brain cant compute it. The "Sdby" notification got me too. All the mavs seem to lock easier at distance in the Hornet than I remember in the A10. Perhaps they do in the A10 now as well.  Just a shame I can only take 4. 

"All the mavs seem to lock easier at distance in the Hornet than I remember in the A10"

Well that's good, being that you have like 4x the amount of time before you get over the target in the A-10 than in the Hornet 😆

But yes, locking Mavs has been tough for me in the A-10 and to a lesser extent the Harrier. But even if the systems are more logically laid out, I'm still a bit intimidated by the number of them present in the F-18. So many campaigns for the Hornet now though, it may push me over the edge. Though I'd still rather have that many available for the Harrier.

28 minutes ago, BOO said:

Personally I really like it when Jtac is available, now that is really easy.

14 minutes ago, dburne said:

Personally I really like it when Jtac is available, now that is really easy.

The big advantage of making your own missions. I bus em in the night before. Give em some fizzy pop and sandwiches and there are as happy as larry. 

33 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

"All the mavs seem to lock easier at distance in the Hornet than I remember in the A10"

Well that's good, being that you have like 4x the amount of time before you get over the target in the A-10 than in the Hornet 😆

But yes, locking Mavs has been tough for me in the A-10 and to a lesser extent the Harrier. But even if the systems are more logically laid out, I'm still a bit intimidated by the number of them present in the F-18. So many campaigns for the Hornet now though, it may push me over the edge. Though I'd still rather have that many available for the Harrier.

Im finding the Hornet very easy to come to terms with. A lot easier that the A10 for sure. 

• Haha 1

DD_fruitbat

Having used Mav's in the Viper, Hornet and the A10, the Hornets mav F's certainly do lock up further away than the other IR mavs, but the Viper has different types, can't remember if the A10 has F's, don't think it does iirc.

Anyway, time for a gratuitous TOMCAT shot,

d39DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

Oh my - just tried air to air refueling for the first time.

Wow, this is going to take some work.

Ive done it a few times. Trouble was it was in the same top up!  

The only tip i can give you apart from the oft repeated "trim,Trim. trim" is take to a little run up to the basket to get the thing flying stable beforehand at a small closing speed. The KC130 is probably the easiest to start with. The S3 is a 'mare. 

DD_fruitbat
8 minutes ago, BOO said:

Im finding the Hornet very easy to come to terms with. A lot easier that the A10 for sure. 

For sure the A10 is harder workflow than the Hornet, for me goes,

Viper < Hornet < A10.

6 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Having used Mav's in the Viper, Hornet and the A10, the Hornets mav F's certainly do lock up further away than the other IR mavs, but the Viper has different types, can't remember if the A10 has F's, don't think it does iirc.

Anyway, time for a gratuitous TOMCAT shot,

d39DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

Have you ever gotten the "74" to light up?  It used to on the old Stennis i think. 

unlikely_spider

Hmm, good to know about the A-10 vs Hornet. Last year I got pretty familiar with the A-10 systems and did a bit of campaigns. It did help that I have a Warthog throttle and the button layout on the CH stick matches the A-10's, so the mapping was one-to-one and was great for immersion.

But if the Hornet is easier than the A-10 systems, I am more tempted to jump in.

DD_fruitbat
20 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Hmm, good to know about the A-10 vs Hornet. Last year I got pretty familiar with the A-10 systems and did a bit of campaigns. It did help that I have a Warthog throttle and the button layout on the CH stick matches the A-10's, so the mapping was one-to-one and was great for immersion.

But if the Hornet is easier than the A-10 systems, I am more tempted to jump in.

That's only my personal opinion, take that for what its worth, your mileage may vary!

One thing about the A10, is it has so many shortcuts and different ways to do the same thing and requires many more mappings, so that can add and confuse the process sometimes, but may in the long term with in depth use prove easier. Maybe.

The Hornet imo appears pretty daunting at first, but its at least a fairly consistent workflow across weapon systems and as you go through them makes more and more sense.

Whoever designed the Viper's workflow, deserved a large bonus and possibly a medal ......

Again, this is all just my own experience, and personal feelings, doesn't make it true for someone else.

Re mavericks, I just checked, only the Hornet has the type F, the A10 and Viper have the same options, probably a navy air force thing. All I can find on it is on wiki, so.....

• Maverick F, designed specially for United States Navy, it uses a modified Maverick D infrared guidance system optimized for tracking ships fitted onto a Maverick-E body and warhead.

22 minutes ago, BOO said:

Have you ever gotten the "74" to light up?  It used to on the old Stennis i think. 

Can't honestly answer that yes or no!

Edited by DD_fruitbat

LuseKofte
2 hours ago, BOO said:

You Da Man!!

Thank you. 

So much for all of the vaunted illumini's videos. Good ole Grim Reapers.

I am not teaching you to suck eggs but have you switched on the breakers and the master arm above your head in the Mi8?

I have  even in instant action where everything is ready it do not work

216th_Cat
21 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

You must be having one of those 'Henry Treece' moments. 

Across the road the homesick Romans made
The ground-mist thickens to a milky shroud;
Through flat, damp fields call sheep, mourning their dead
In cracked and timeless voices, unutterably sad,
Suffering for all the world, in Lincolnshire.

And I wonder how the Romans liked it here;
Flat fields, no sun, the muddy misty dawn,
And always, above all, the mad rain dripping down,
Rusting sword and helmet, wetting the feet
And soaking to the bone, down to the very heart . . .

Those poor Romans....and they went on to build all those Fiats too:(

Good grief. Glad I'd not heard of him before.

• Haha 1

DD_fruitbat
29 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Poor old Lincolnshire, I've read more uplifting World War One poetry!

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

So many campaigns for the Hornet now though, it may push me over the edge. 

A trend likely to continue for a bit I’m guessing. 

Feathered_IV
2 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Oh I don’t know.  Would make better lyrics than the trash produced by bands like Iron Maiden and Sabaton though.