DCS

carve_gybe

Bremspropeller

I guess INTENTINALLY not bringing any weapons helps in the drag-department? 59.gif.c11545f603590e309caccb725144a8d4.gif

14 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

A few shots from last night, and a short vid,

Myself and DD_Fenrir orbiting, waiting for the Hornets to land, as somebody forgot to  put a gas tank in them when they designed the thing.....:dance:

fe9DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

And down on the carrier,

180DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

ea9DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

10 points for whoever can spot the deliberate mistake, ahem.

Hook still down?

DD_fruitbat

Haha Brems, my weapons were in 4 Migs by that point....:dance:

And Hoots wins 10 points! I accidentally clicked right mouse instead of left to raise my hook, which twists the handle and locks it into emergency down, can't raise after that, lol

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1

AndyJWest

Hook left down is preferable to hook left up...

It looks like I'm going to resist the temptation to splurge out on the Tomcat, for now. Not because I don't appreciate it: I do, it's a magnificent beast. It's just that if I buy it, I'll probably spend hours half-learning half the systems, and never really get to grips with it. Instead, I should learn to fly the Hornet and Harrier first, to the degree where I'm a little more confident with them, and don't have to re-read Chuck's Guides for each of them each time I fly. Assuming that even happens before my clearly-diminishing capacity to remember stuff for any length of time reaches the point when I can't fly at all, because I've forgotten my PC password or something. 🙄

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

CanadaOne
1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

A few shots from last night, and a short vid,

fe9DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

What kind of planes are those? 

Bremspropeller
22 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

It looks like I'm going to resist the temptation to splurge out on the Tomcat, for now.

Do it, because

TOMCATS!!!

Actually, the front seat is surprisingly simple. Operating the Cat isn't really the issue here. It's flying and taming her in the pattern and whenever you're putting any g onto the jet.

Oh, and learn to trim. She needs a good thumb's full of trim whenever you do anything.

Retract the flaps? Trim.

Change airspeed? Trim?

Wings sweeping? Trim.

Going supersonic or coming back through the Mach? Well, bugger, trim!

It's actually very satisfying to see one's own learning curve in just flying the bloody thing any better than a random monkey from the zoo.

Plus it's visually stunning. Plus it's four player--aircraft, two AI aircraft and a whole set of carriers for the price of one module.

Did I mention Jester and Iceman? And how about the walkman.

Do it, Andy, do it! :crazy:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

AndyJWest

Yeah, I'd figured out the trim thing. Though not enough to manage to fly the circuit around the carrier without doing a roller-coaster impression with my elevation going from 1,200 ft to 50 ft and back again. Repeatedly. 

My learning curve seems to be a divergent phugoid. 😳

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Bremspropeller

Seems like you desperately need to expand your horizon and need to cope not only with not stalling the aircraft, but also not stalling the engines.

Did I mention adverse yaw? 😅

On a brighter note: There's DLC.

BTW: You haven't seen me in the pattern, so don't prematurely call yourself an idiot yet :ph34r:

BTW2: The fun really starts, when the RIO gets bored and tries out that fancy ejection-seat. That is always fun, when he can bang out both of you. Not sure if he was trying to tell me something... :russian_ru:

Edited by Bremspropeller

LuseKofte

I do not think this new found sensibility of yours belong in a DCS forum @AndyJWest

Making sense is absolutely forbidden territory here. 

If my purchases after all these years would followed that logic, I still would have owned only the A 10 C 😂

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Haha 2

DD_fruitbat

And now for something slightly different....

90fDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

cardboard_killer

Not a big fan of jets, and I haven't done anything with DCS, but the F-86 has always been a favorite of mine, as well as an interest in the Korean War. I was thinking of getting it and the MiG-15bis and setting up DCS. I play solitaire. Can anyone recommend/describe what DCS has to offer to fill these interests?

Thanks,

CK

• Like 1

unlikely_spider

If you look under Campaigns on the website, there is one for the F-86 that makes the default map into a Korea stand-in. I haven't played it yet but the creator makes quality campaigns. The F-86 is a good module, but in true DCS fashion it is a module with few other items that are appropriate to go along with it.

Edit - Hunters Over the Yalu I think the campaign is called

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CanadaOne

The F-86, although the cockpit graphics are a bit dated, is a lot of fun. The .50cals are great, they just seem right (as if I would know), and the plane has a good solid feel to it. I wasn't crazy about flying the Mig-15 (free trial), but it's fun to shoot down. I much prefer the F-86, which I bought a long time ago.

Not sure about campaigns, but it takes two-seconds to build a nice custom flight in the ME.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought the F14 finally mainly due to the sale plus also AUD was at 78c USD, so a lot cheaper for me then 6months ago. 

I like it but i'm having a lot of issues with using the phoenix and other AA missiles. For some reason jester cant lock on or even see enemy aircraft with the radar even within a 25mile range when flying at the enemy. Other times he's going nuts about Nails at 29 miles at my 6oclock, nothing seems consistent. I'm not sure if its some issue with the mission.

Other time I can see friendly aircraft via the blue tags other times I cant see anything tagged. I've not had a huge time in DCS but is it normal for spotting and radar to be wonky?

Bremspropeller
46 minutes ago, Tyberan said:

For some reason jester cant lock on or even see enemy aircraft with the radar even within a 25mile range when flying at the enemy. Other times he's going nuts about Nails at 29 miles at my 6oclock, nothing seems consistent.

Same issues here, but Nails calls are mostly by RWR and the unability to lock probably comes for them flanking/ notching.

yeah I guess. But I asked jester to lock on STT but he couldnt but I could lock on with the phoenix using PAL lock. 

I feel so bad at the f14, so far been shot down twice by a mig 21 in a dogfight and a mig 23. Friggin Mig 21 are more nimble then i thought. 

I tried using the Lantrin pod last night and its bloody hard swapping between RIO and pilot. Think I'll leave the A/G stuff for the F18 and the A10 which I've got as well. 

Bremspropeller

The best part about the Tomcat is it makes flying the Hornet easier 😅

CanadaOne
3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The best part about the Tomcat is it makes flying the Hornet easier 😅

I had the F-14 loaded up during the trial period and barely touched it at all.

I guess the good part is it leaves more Tomcat for the rest of you. :biggrin:

AndyJWest

Just tried the Hornet again, for the first time in months. As I found with the Harrier, not flying the thing seems to have improved my technique. My carrier landing wasn't exactly elegant - a bolter followed by a landing with the LSO yelling 'waveoff', but I at least managed to avoid the sheer panic that I seemed to suffer from earlier. Or have they done something to the flight model? I definitely felt more in control. A bit of a head-scratcher...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

DD_fruitbat

2021 looks like its going to be a good year in DCS, lots of things for me anyway.

New clouds, the Mosquito and the Apache all highlights for me, as well as markpoints for the F 16.

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,  :pilotfly: 

2020 was a tough year for most and a challenging one for Eagle Dynamics too. Despite COVID-19, we managed to release several products and core improvements which we hope were up to your expectations. We also changed our Open Beta release cycle and focused more on quality and less on feature delivery. For this we have you to thank, our faithful community. We really count and value your feedback, without your trust and patience, we would never be able to achieve the level of quality and enjoyment that you deserve. Thank you and do keep it up please!

The beginning of the year seems to be posing many of the same challenges, but the team is well organised and we believe that we have a solid roadmap for 2021 that will see the addition of new modules and improvements to the core-DCS program. Please do take a look at our plan below but kindly understand that the dates are our best estimates as of writing this letter and may move around a bit as time goes by. 

In the first quarter of 2021, we will migrate to DCS World version 2.7. While it was planned to release 2.6 in the very beginning of the year, so many additional changes are in the works that we have decided to move directly to 2.7. But prior to this move, we will have one remaining update to version 2.5 that will include many improvements to DCS: F/A-18C Hornet.

As the world moves into more apparent uncertainty, we would like to thank you again for staying by our side in 2020 and for helping us to more ‘sunlit uplands’ as Churchill so beautifully said. May 2021 be a good year for you and your families, a year full of love, success and health.

Onwards and Upwards!

Yours sincerely, 

Eagle Dynamics Team

DCS World

2021 Roadmap 

hero1.png

Before we discuss the new projects, let’s first touch on the support of existing products in 2021:

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Finalising this fantastic module is one of our top-priorities and our goal is to have the project out of Early Access by the end of the 1st quarter. In January, we will be adding new functions for expendable countermeasures, Electronic Attack (EA), radar jamming effects, SEA and Ground Moving Target (GMT) radar modes, designated target sharing (TXDSG), the FUEL page BIT, BDU-45 and BDU-45B practice bombs. Following these items, principal items remaining include: the ATFLIR targeting pod and the AGM-88C HARM Pre-Briefed (PB) mode, AGM-84K SLAM-ER, coupled (CPL) autopilot modes. Once out of early access, Hornet support will continue with the addition of the AIM-7P, ACLS mode, WIDE ACM mode, and the Data Transfer Cartridge functions. Thereafter, we will be maintaining and polishing this module on an ongoing basis.

DCS: F-16C Viper

Once the Hornet is out of early access, some of the developers will be allocated to the Viper team in order to enhance their capabilities. Based on customer feedback, their highest priorities  includes completing air-to-air radar modes and functions, additional AGM-88C HARM modes, GPS/INS-guided weapons, expanded defensive systems, air-to-surface radar modes, mark points, additional ICP and MFD options, new weapon delivery modes, and more.

DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer

The Hawg is already nearly complete, but we do plan to deliver some additional features in 2021 that include the ARC-210 radio, updates to the Tactical Awareness Display (TAD), changes to optically guided Maverick slewing, and the long version of the AN/ALQ-184 ECM pod. 

DCS: Supercarrier

Most of our effort on the Supercarrier has been focused on creating the 3D environments for the Ready Room, Air Boss Station (PriFly), and the hangar deck. Other tasks for 2021 include plane directors to marshal aircraft to the catapults and off the landing area, the “burble”, deck crew light wands for night operations, unique radio channels for different controllers, and manual LSO control.

New Aircraft

DCS World

hero2.png

DCS: Mosquito FB MK.VI

Our first new product of 2021 will be the impressive Mosquito. This will be our first multi-engine, multi-crew World War II aircraft for DCS World, and it will mark an important capability for future projects. The Mosquito is planned to be released into early access by the end of the 1st quarter of 2021.

hero3.png

DCS: Mi-24P

Named the Hind by NATO, this Russian attack helicopter is a deadly player on the battlefield with an array of Anti-Tank Guided Missiles, twin-barrel 30mm cannons, unguided rockets, and more. Featuring cooperative multiplayer in the front and back seat, the product will offer an even higher level of detail and accuracy than our Mi-8MTV2. With the ability to also act as a troop and cargo transport, the Mi-24P will add an all-new dimension to attack helicopter operations in DCS World. The Mi-24P is planned for release in the 2nd quarter of 2021.

hero4.png

DCS: AH-64D

Perhaps our biggest new aircraft project for 2021, the AH-64D will be the most accurate and detailed simulation of this iconic American attack helicopter. Like the Mi-24P, it will feature front- and back-seat operations in single player and multiplayer. Based on a 2002 Block II version, the AH-64D will be armed with Hellfire anti-tank guided missiles, unguided rockets, and a head-tracking 30mm cannon. The early access AH-64D is planned for release in the 3rd quarter of 2021 and will be available for pre-sales as of February 2021 with a 30% discount.

Note: Due to new Russian Federation laws pertaining to the gathering of information of Russian military equipment, we have had to reconsider our plans to add new systems to the Ka-50. We continue to update the cockpit, as well as a highly detailed updated external model. 

M.A.C

Modern Air Combat (MAC)

Despite the lack of updates on this project, it is still very much alive and we are making continued progress. Much of the work remains on the new gameplay modes, updating the 3D models and cockpits for the MAC aircraft, creating a new input manager “wizard”, and continued work on a new Graphical User Interface. We are shooting for 3rd quarter 2021 release, but latest Q4 2021.

Maps

For our maps, we will continue to address bugs and map improvements to the Persian Gulf, Caucasus, and Nevada maps. Most of our map work though is focused on The Channel map and the upcoming, free Mariana Islands map.

hero5.png

DCS: The Channel

We continue to expand this map with additional airfields, including the famous Biggin Hill RAF and Eastchurch airfields in England, two new advanced landing group airstrips, and numerous new landmarks. We plan to release the final version of the Channel map in the 1st quarter of 2021.

hero6.png

DCS: Mariana Islands

Slated to release in the 2nd quarter 2021, this map will first be a modern-day depiction, and it will include Andersen AFB and several other airfields along the island chain. Combined with the Chinese Assets Pack, we see interesting single player and multiplayer possibilities. This is still planned as a free map, and it will later serve as the foundation for our first World War II Pacific Theater map.

New Clouds

Volumetric 

hero7.png

The wait is almost over, and the new clouds for DCS World will be introduced in the 1st quarter of 2021. In addition to being visually stunning, the new clouds will block visual and optical sensor line of sight and be synchronized online. We will initially release the new cloud system with an array of weather presets that will cater to most mission building scenarios. Later in the year, we will update the Weather Tool in the Mission Editor that will allow finer control of the clouds with a dynamic weather system based on a more advanced meteorological engine.

hero8.png

Some of the new / improved visual effects in development for 2021 includes:

• Improved helicopter rotor wash over water and ground.
  • Missile flame and smoke.
  • Ground unit dust clouds.
  • Trans-sonic shock cones.
  • Fuel explosions.
  • Weapon water splash.
  • Further explosion improvements.
  • Smoke grenades.

We hope to have many of these available in stages throughout the year.

Dynamic Campaign

This massive task has been underway for over two years, and the progress has been exciting. The campaign is built around a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) foundation that factors resources, zones of control, logistics, available forces, and a strategic decision-making system. While we believe internal testing will continue in the 1st quarter of 2021, it is too early to estimate a release date. However, external Beta testing is planned hopefully in Q2/Q3 2021.

Vulkan API and Multi-threading

With the integration of these libraries, DCS will benefit from improved performance throughout, including in virtual reality. This has been a substantial task to develop and integrate into our codebase, but we are nearing the end of this journey, and expect it to be available in the 3rd quarter of this year. 

Damage Modelling

Progress

hero9.png

In the end of 2020, the new damage model system for our World War II aircraft was released. Although some tuning remains, most of our work on this front in 2021 will focus on bringing the technology to our modern aircraft like F/A-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, and A-10C II Tank Killer. This is an ongoing process which we hope to deliver in stages during the latter half of 2021.

Air Traffic Control (ATC)

Over the past year, our primary ATC focus has been on the Supercarrier. Now that the Supercarrier ATC system is nearing completion, we will next move on to airfield ATC radio communications. Given the scope of DCS World, this is not a simple task, and it will require three separate ATC systems: Western Modern Day, Eastern Modern Day, and World War II. 

Because this effort will require a large amount of new radio voice overs, we will also take this opportunity to update the radio communications for other entities like flight members, other flights, AWACS, tankers, etc.

This will continue to be developed in 2021, but we do not have an estimated release date.

FLIR

New and Improved Forward Looking Infrared

In the modern battlefield, a realistic rendering of FLIR sensors is mandatory, not just for aircraft but also for ground units, unmanned systems, and weapon sensor video. Given the need to create the underlying technology and then create thermal maps for all the world objects, terrain surfaces, and units, this has been quite a large task. We will continue to develop this well into 2021 and we hope to deploy this new FLIR enhancement in Q3 2021.

AI Units

New and Updated assets

Because DCS World is built on a project spanning almost two decades, some units now show their age and will be updated throughout the year. It is also important that we add new units to better fill the battlefields. Here are some of the items that we intend to create or update in 2021:

Large Aircraft: B-52H, Tu-95MS, Tu-142, B-1B, IL-38, and Tu-160

Carrier Aircraft: S-3B and SH-60B

Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”.

Enhanced AI

Behaviour

hero10.png

Currently, much of our AI engineering effort is focused on the AI aircraft behaviour, in harmony with the new damage modelling and in line with logical and understandable rules and practices. Additionally, the new ATC and radio communications will demand a significant amount of AI engineering. This work is ongoing and will probably never really be finished but we do hope to deliver substantial enhancements during the latter half of 2021.

We have taken the liberty of limiting this overview to issues which have ‘officially’ been announced. Rest assured, many secret and exciting developments to the DCS core are ongoing and will be revealed in the fullness of time. In addition to our internal development, rest assured our brilliant third parties are hard at work to bring you some wonderful modules in 2021 and look forward to hearing from them very soon.

Once again, thank you for all your passion and support in 2020. We hope that 2021 will prove to be a good year, one with many upward trends, not only for DCS but for you, our faithful community and for the world at large.

2021 Onwards and Upwards!

Yours sincerely,

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 2

OMG  the AH 64D.

Bring it on baby!

Vulkan API and Multithreading - Hoping that helps VR especially.

Edited by dburne

Trooper117

Mosquito, final version of the Channel map, new clouds, all coming in the first quarter 2021... these get my vote!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DD_fruitbat

I'm also actually really looking forward to trans-sonic shockwave cones, while it doesn't really offer much from a gameplay point of view, as from the cockpit largely will not be noticed, they just look so damn cool.....

Edited by DD_fruitbat

cardboard_killer

Which helo would be best for a new helo driver to start out in? I mean a brand new wet behind the ears newbie helo pilot. :)

6 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

Which helo would be best for a new helo driver to start out in? I mean a brand new wet behind the ears newbie helo pilot. :)

I cut my DCS teeth on the KA-50.

Great chopper with lethal armament. That is the only one though I have done so far in DCS.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Tektolnes
18 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

Which helo would be best for a new helo driver to start out in? I mean a brand new wet behind the ears newbie helo pilot.

I like the Huey. It's got a good flight model and it's perfect for getting up to speed on heli flying in general. All the instruments are analogue, there's no fancy MFDs, so it's pretty old school.

I'd say there's maybe more longevity in the KA-50 as there's a whole rake of combat & systems management you can get into once you get the flying down. The Huey has some basic armaments so you can handle some light trouble maybe but it's not made to fight and survive in an environment that the KA-50 can operate in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

AndyJWest

Agree with Tektolnes here - if you want to learn how to fly a helicopter in DCS, go with the Huey. You'll get to understand the basics of what keeps it in the air and what you need to do to get it to do what you want a lot quicker than the more complex ones. It's seat-of-your pants flying mostly, and being simple means that you can concentrate on that. You'll have to, since it doesn't have fancy stability aids or an autopilot.

• Confused 1

9./JG27golani79
59 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

Huey was my first and I think it is a very good helo to begin with (had lots of accidents though in the beginning 😄 )

Also the Mi-8 is a great helo but heavier and flies more like a "bus" and in general I think it is a bit more difficult to handle in specific situations than the Huey.

You have more weapon variety though with the Mi-8.

From a flying perspective the easiest I think would be the Ka-50 - also you have the most weapons and systems.

From the learning perspective in regards of helo flying you can´t got wrong though with the Huey in the beginning.

So, .. depends a bit on what you want.

Wouldn´t recommend the Gazelle at the moment - there is a an overhaul due of the FM.

Edited by 9./JG27golani79

unlikely_spider

I also learned helos in the Huey, and feel that those skills will apply to any rotary craft since you have to have constant hands-on with all the fundamental principles of helo flying at all times. No augmentations like you would have with the shark. But then again, old-school stick and rudder flying is more interesting to me anyway. Plus the Huey is so damn... iconic 😎

• Upvote 1

CanadaOne
6 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

It might be just me, but I managed more with the KA-50 in two-hours than I did in the Huey in two-months. But you have to watch a few tutorials about how the trimmer works with the "always on 20%" autopilot. If you don't understand it, the Blackshark will drive you bonkers to the point of it being useless. It's not difficult to figure out, but you have to catch the idea of it. Once you get it, and you understand the trimmer and auto-pilot properly - which in truth amounts to using one trimmer button on your HOTAS a lot - you have an amazing amount of control. It also has an auto-hover capability which really helps, along with a slow rise and slow descent capability which lets you park behind a hill or a building, rise up really gently in a hover, fire off a missile, and then duck back down.

250kph+, and it carries a ton of hardware. Bombs, laser guided missiles, rockets, and 23mm gun pods. It has lotsa love to share with others. :friends:

I'm sure the helo purists would go for the Huey, and they might be right, but I'm in love with the Blackshark.

LuseKofte
56 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

It might be just me, but I managed more with the KA-50

The KA 50 is the most stable. And it should be considering the design. I managed fly MI 8 with a yoke. But it need a very planned way of flying. 

Any chopper require a great deal of training but once one get it it stick. 

It all depends on hardware. I have controls made for chopper simming. But general idea is to start with flying with only thumb and two fingers. Do not overcompensate and take of gentle. Adjust rudder and stick just when the chopper is starting to get neutralnothing is more satisfying like your first slingload

This is my first attempt filming a slingload hook up and it is my best and smoothest so far ever. It is normal to go back and forth a bit

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AndyJWest

If you learn to fly on the KA-50, you'll become a competent KA-50 pilot. If you learn on the Huey, you'll learn skills that are relevant to more or less any normal single-rotor helicopter. The KA-50 is too much of an oddball to be much use for that.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

The KA 50 is the most stable. And it should be considering the design. I managed fly MI 8 with a yoke. But it need a very planned way of flying. 

Any chopper require a great deal of training but once one get it it stick. 

It all depends on hardware. I have controls made for chopper simming. But general idea is to start with flying with only thumb and two fingers. Do not overcompensate and take of gentle. Adjust rudder and stick just when the chopper is starting to get neutralnothing is more satisfying like your first slingload

This is my first attempt filming a slingload hook up and it is my best and smoothest so far ever. It is normal to go back and forth a bit

Sling it like you stole it @216th_LuseKofte!  My flying is somewhat more cautious. I need to speed things up - my drop offs are tediously slow - thanks for the inspiration!

In respectof which helo to try - I wish i had bought the Mi8 a long time ago but I got put off by lots of forum comments about its difficulty in the hover. I dont know if its something that got addressed but I dont find it difficult, in fact i find it much easier to do things with than the Huey. And you can do more in general whether thats loading or shooting.  Its not as pure as the Huey in that it does have some aids to assist stability but this just means I can try trickier stuff with a bigger, heavier hoverbox. Its faster too and pretty agile for its bulk.

The only things i dont like (and this is the case for ALL the ED helos) are that even after all this time there are still some small but (mostly) not game breaking bugz that have never been sorted , the very limited head movement in comparison with later modules (eg the fact you cant stick your bonce into the bulged half door perspex and see out - and the limited 6DOF in general), the silly load camera view that dangles you 8 foot out of the cockpit and....the troops embarking/disembarking

In fact the embarking/disembarking and the lack of any of any graphic representation is worse than crap. If you get it work at all, the dudes just vanish near the chopper after running about like headless chickens in slow mo for a while then re- appear when you kick em out..........If you get it to work. At least in the Mi8 you cant see that they are not actually in the back. 

....Oh and the english version of voice of the load master (think yoda with a stick up his arse).

An interactive start up check list a la the F14 would also be nice given you have dumb and dumber sat next to you staring dead ahead like a driver trying not to look at the dude he's just run over but then so would a general graphical update. The biggest plus over the huey is that its external anti collision lighting dont illuminate the interior 

The KA50 isnt as others have said a typical helo. But its huge fun. Much is made of the lack of micro switch disengagement when setting the trim but, jees, just let go of the damn stick!

The Huey - meh....Mi8 is better and theres only so much CSN you can listen to. 

Gazelle- dont own - there really does seem to be too many complaints about this module and, unlike the Harrier, few defenders.

The big downside for helos in DCS (for me at least) are the games shadows. Not as noticeable in a fast jet but low down and slow that can be as ugly as hell flicker fests at times no matter how you tweak their lua files. 

CanadaOne
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

If you learn to fly on the KA-50, you'll become a competent KA-50 pilot. If you learn on the Huey, you'll learn skills that are relevant to more or less any normal single-rotor helicopter. The KA-50 is too much of an oddball to be much use for that.

Yeah, you're probably right on that. From a helo purist point of view - and I don't mean that in a bad way - I'm sure the Huey is the way to go.

But the Blackshark is still a lot of fun. It's like a... Harrier had a baby with an SU-25 and it was born with rotors.

LuseKofte
17 hours ago, dburne said:

OMG  the AH 64D.

Bring it on baby!

Vulkan API and Multithreading - Hoping that helps VR especially.

I will buy it.  But I am no fan of those high tech glass pits. I want Hind

7 hours ago, BOO said:

respectof which helo to try - I wish i had bought the Mi8 a long time ago but I got put off by lots of forum comments about its difficulty in the hover. I dont

It is not difficult to hoover. But it is easy to get stalled. People have problems with it when slowing down and get into hoover. 

You explained why you had no problems. Nice and easy does it

7 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

That was a pretty cool video Luse👍

I never really manage to replicate that cool smooth catch-up again. So I guess it was pure luck

CanadaOne
2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I will buy it.  But I am no fan of those high tech glass pits. I want Hind

We might get it by June if I read correctly. It definitely has character. And looking forward to the eye candy improvements on the Blackshark.

I'll (probably) buy the Apache, it might be too cool to avoid.