DCS

carve_gybe

DD_fruitbat

Jdams are the hardest thing to deploy, If you have two on the same pylon, it gets quite complicated. I suggest starting to learn them with only one on a pylon first. However, you can do some pretty impressive boom boom when you get it right, 8 different targets in one attack run,

When I learn new things, I normally make a few notes as I watch a video, nothing much, just key pointers to get me going. I had a whole page, to do the above!

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 2

Ah should be interesting then.

I am thinking this SP campaign for the Hornet may be the first one for me once I get a little more learning under my belt.

The Rising Squall campaign is driven by an intricate storyline and represents an intense fantasy conflict. This campaign has a smooth learning curve for beginners with missions that progressively become more difficult. It also includes professional voice-actors.

Edited by dburne

unlikely_spider
2 hours ago, dburne said:

I am finding the air to air refueling in the Hornet to be really tough to get - much harder than carrier traps I think.

I have got to get this as I am pretty sure some of the campaigns I want to do will require it. And I am getting closer to the point I will be able to fly some campaigns.

I hope it is one of those things where once you get it, you got it. 

Also need to get my arms wrapped around both Jdam and Jsow GPS guided bombs. Plenty to do today but not enough time so I am sure it will go into tomorrow as well.

I'm no expert at AAR, but one thing that helped me is that when you're close, small corrections should be immediately reversed, since the margins are so small. For example, if you need to pitch down, the stick goes up for an instant, then immediately back down. Or, if you are falling behind, throttle up a little, then back down to where you were. Because holding any change in vector or speed will compound itself quickly in relation to your position with the other craft. So make the tiny adjustment then bring back to where you were. The tinyest little "bump" in attitude or thrust, like little movements away from center then immediately back again, is what I was told a while ago.

I hope that makes sense. It's different than normal flight maneuvers where you hold the stick or throttle or rudder until your desired heading or speed is met.

Edited by unlikely_spider

46 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I'm no expert at AAR, but one thing that helped me is that when you're close, small corrections should be immediately reversed, since the margins are so small. For example, if you need to pitch down, the stick goes up for an instant, then immediately back down. Or, if you are falling behind, throttle up a little, then back down to where you were. Because holding any change in vector or speed will compound itself quickly in relation to your position with the other craft. So make the tiny adjustment then bring back to where you were. The tinyest little "bump" in attitude or thrust, like little movements away from center then immediately back again, is what I was told a while ago.

I hope that makes sense. It's different than normal flight maneuvers where you hold the stick or throttle or rudder until your desired heading or speed is met.

Thanks - still working at it have come close a couple of times but no cigar yet. I always manage to screw it up at the very last instant it seems.

DD_Fenrir
1 hour ago, dburne said:

Thanks - still working at it have come close a couple of times but no cigar yet. I always manage to screw it up at the very last instant it seems.

That's often the way... the best way I find is to make many tiny pulses instead of one large - and I mean sub-millimetric (not kidding!). 

And because the sooner you recognise the need to make a correction the smaller that correction will need to be, you should be constantly making a series of these tiny pulses - on the run up to the basket my right hand is moving like I'm speed handwriting a microscopic letter!

Another thing to try is to break down your stick corrections into pitch or  roll - I make one plane of motion correction at a time; I'm either making a pitch correction or a lineup correction, never both at once. Coming in at a nice slow 1-2 knots closure helps in this regard.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

That's often the way... the best way I find is too make many tiny pulses instead of one large - and I mean sub-millimetric (not kidding!). 

And because the sooner you recognise the need to make a correction the smaller that correction will need to be, you should be constantly making a series of these tiny pulses - on the run up to the basket my right hand is moving like I'm speed handwriting a microscopic letter!

Another thing to try is to break down your stick corrections into pitch or  roll - I make one plane of motion correction at a time; I'm either making a pitch correction or a lineup correction, never both at once. Coming in at a nice slow 1-2 knots closure helps in this regard.

Thanks will try and keep that  in mind for my next attempts.

Much appreciated.

Tektolnes

You can also walk the throttle a little bit to get the smallest increases in thrust which I believe is the procedure they follow in real life i.e. they move just the right throttle up a hair and if they find they need a bit more then move the left throttle up. Overall I find the Hornet the easiest for AAR, then the Tomcat and I can't do the Hog to save my life.

4 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

You can also walk the throttle a little bit to get the smallest increases in thrust which I believe is the procedure they follow in real life i.e. they move just the right throttle up a hair and if they find they need a bit more then move the left throttle up. Overall I find the Hornet the easiest for AAR, then the Tomcat and I can't do the Hog to save my life.

Thanks - yeah that part I have been doing. And I am lined up pretty well, just those last few feet things go to crap on me.

DD_Fenrir
Just now, dburne said:

Thanks - yeah that part I have been doing. And I am lined up pretty well, just those last few feet things go to crap on me.

Well you're on the right track, the plugging is the penultimate hurdle, keep at it and you'll get it.

What's the ultimate hurdle? Staying in!

4 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Well you're on the right track, the plugging is the penultimate hurdle, keep at it and you'll get it.

What's the ultimate hurdle? Staying in!

LOL yeah that is what I am anticipating, being able to stay in when I finally make it.

Bremspropeller

Funny how everybody rates each aircraft differently in terms of plugging in 😄

Staying in may be both easy or hard - it's all about not getting into a PIO from an initial overcorrection...

LuseKofte

Yessss

Fixed myproblem with instant action MI 8 cannot fire any weapon issue  

Added another panel and a new stick made some controls renamed  so when starting a mission the master arm switch turns off

Now why I cannot fire minigun in the huey is more a misery. But I guess I find a reason 

• Upvote 1

bugger - just starting to get into pressy button flying and the cougar MFDs take a dump!

If its not one thing its yer mother.

Edited by BOO

Bremspropeller

Has anybody else ever had an issue with getting hypoxia with an open canopy on the ground in the Jeff?

Haven't re-tried with the newest update (of today's vintage), but it surely brught some chuckles. Garbled, hypoxic chuckles.

The guy in the sunroof-tent next to me had the same issue, but he found the emergency oxygen-switch in due time...

Seemed to me, the hypoxia-effect was linked to the cabin-pressure warning-light.

SeaSerpent

Closed canopy on the ground, yes, but not just sitting there with an open canopy.  Sounds like a newer bug.  JF is another one of those planes that I went all in on, learned it to a level I felt pretty good with, then haven't touched it in nearly a year...a familiar story with DCS for me.  I think I'll have to start over with the cold start tutorial!

Edited by SeaSerpent

This air to air refueling in the Hornet - not sure I am going to get this one.

I managed to get the nozzle in one time today and that was for all  of about 2 seconds LOL.

Carrier traps are a heck of a lot easier than this.

SeaSerpent

I think these are the kinds of things where joystick extensions really have helped me.  I couldn't hover helicopters worth a damn until I got a 75mm stick extension.  When it came to AAR, I still didn't feel I had the fine control I needed.  So I went to a 100mm, and still retain a 10 to 15% curve for both pitch and roll.  Tomcat seems easier for me because (at least it seems to me) that I can make the power changes I need with less dramatic movements of the thrust levers, and also because it isn't FBW.  FBW messes with me a bit both when it comes to AAR and also getting on speed on the downwind for landing.  TBH, I've never fully grasped the proper way to utilize the Trim in a plane that is FBW.

I am using a 200mm extension.

Going to add a little curve into my pitch and see if that helps some.

Probably going to be Friday before I can resume.

DD_fruitbat

Nice relaxing landing, in heavy cloud, rain and at night on a carrier,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AndyJWest

Yay! Another opportunity to try the Tomcat for free, decide I really want it, and then not buy it because if I do I'll never get around to learning all the stuff I've got already. 

Dude Tomcat is dope just get it. 

I might give the harrier and F16 a crack on free play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bremspropeller
55 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Yay! Another opportunity to try the Tomcat for free, decide I really want it, and then not buy it because if I do I'll never get around to learning all the stuff I've got already. 

We both know you want it, Andy! Give in already 🤣

BTW:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AndyJWest

Aaaargh! Another plane I can't buy because I'll never get to learning it.

What I really need is a DCS: 48-hour-day module. That or a DCS: Immortality module. Which will be useful while waiting for the Harrier to be finished. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

LuseKofte
1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Good. No A-6. I would have bought that one and never have the time learnimg it.

Heatblur announced today that the Intruder will be made flyable in a cooperation with ED. But in the beginning it will be ai as a package for tomcat

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Finally, finally I managed to fill up my tank in the Hornet in an air to air refuel. Spent literally the last three days trying to accomplish this.

Man that was the hardest thing I have had to learn with the Hornet by far. Even harder than carrier traps.

Now on to Jdam and Jsow bombs, they look somewhat complex as well. After that I think I have covered all the bombs. I be a getting there!

I can smell campaign flying coming soon now.

• Upvote 1

LuseKofte
41 minutes ago, dburne said:

Finally, finally I managed to fill up my tank in the Hornet in an air to air refuel. Spent literally the last three days trying to accomplish this.

Man that was the hardest thing I have had to learn with the Hornet by far. Even harder than carrier traps.

Now on to Jdam and Jsow bombs, they look somewhat complex as well. After that I think I have covered all the bombs. I be a getting there!

I can smell campaign flying coming soon now.

Naaah why bother  Intruder is coming  

9 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Naaah why bother  Intruder is coming  

LOL nope I have full commitment to the Hornet now.

Should I decide to move on to a second jet, it will be the Tomcat as I already own it also.

CanadaOne

Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! 

And an A-6 would be nice.

• Upvote 1

Clouds look awesome but that A-6 though. Will add so much to the atmosphere when using the F14, but I might cave eventually and get the A6 as well. 

LuseKofte
11 hours ago, Tyberan said:

Clouds look awesome but that A-6 though. Will add so much to the atmosphere when using the F14, but I might cave eventually and get the A6 as well. 

I will hand in the Hornet , A10 and Falcon for the intruder myself. 

I sure hope all these hours and hours I am pouring into learning the Hornet helps pay off somewhat in the learning curve of some other jets like the Tomcat.

DD_fruitbat
6 minutes ago, dburne said:

I sure hope all these hours and hours I am pouring into learning the Hornet helps pay off somewhat in the learning curve of some other jets like the Tomcat.

Tomcat is completely different I'm afraid. Different generation, different tech. Some stuff is transferable ish to the Viper.

DD_fruitbat

Can't wait for these clouds.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Tomcat is completely different I'm afraid. Different generation, different tech. Some stuff is transferable ish to the Viper.

Ah man ... well it is what it is I guess.

Hope to be campaign flying in the Hornet about a week from today.

Then got to get back to some IL-2 flying. It will likely be a while before I tackle another jet anyway.