DCS

carve_gybe

LuseKofte
10 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

can't answer for your performance issues - ooohhh, that didn't sound nice :blush: - but I have decent rig I think, 3700X/32RAM/2060 Super with DCS on a dedicated M.2 drive and DCS runs very nicely at 1080P. I enjoy my flights and they look great. 

After latest patch I feel GB and DCS run the same. 

GB is no longer easy on the Rig 

I believe the full implementation of 4 k textures have improved but slowed down the game. 

I am no longer satisfied with my rigs performance, in GB.  If anything I feel DCS run smoother now, looks better can have a lot more going on and still run better. On my rig. 

GB alone the way I use it do not justify an upgrade. But they all have a tendency to scratch any itch I get about flying. 

• Upvote 1

Pekka_Rayha

Good conversation. Although I have to disagree with the thought that DCS WWII is good at offline only. Storm of War server does great job of immersive online fights. Campaigns are based on real dates etc. and there seems to be good community with pretty nice number of players. And you can operate perfectly alone too, even take an AI wingman with you. Thought has been put to please players that have tendency to play more offline. 

I have to add it looks just amazing, the lighting and textures, canopy scratches, even in VR. And even/especially with some Abba. 

(Not my video.) 

Edited by Pekka_Rayha

CanadaOne
3 hours ago, BOO said:

I dont know about "long"

We'll have to see. But as there were strong suggestions the DCS Mosquito would come out before Christmas, and obviously didn't, I think we're going to see it this month. 

If the BoX Mosquito is out by July I'd be surprised. Also, the BoX Mosquito isn't a collector plane. That means I have to buy BoN - which I don't plan on doing - for about $110Cdn. I'll get the high-fidelity DCS Mosquito, sooner, for less.

LuseKofte
4 hours ago, BOO said:

I dont know about "long"

They have been cooking up modules in a faster phase. Question is more on what state

Bremspropeller
17 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I'll get the high-fidelity DCS Mosquito, sooner, for less.

Yeah, but that's about all you'll get.

Want a fitting map? Need to buy it extra.

And it gets really interesting, trying to find any fitting airplanes or targets to fly with or against.

• Upvote 1

CanadaOne
2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Yeah, but that's about all you'll get.

Want a fitting map? Need to buy it extra.

And it gets really interesting, trying to find any fitting airplanes or targets to fly with or against.

I got all the maps! :biggrin:

Targets? Too many to count. I can build 101 A2G missions in the DCS ME and then build 101 more. Finding stuff to blow up ain't a problem. 

Edited by CanadaOne
Because!

[DBS]TH0R

Picked up The Channel map, and few campaigns. They have set the bar high for that map / area, I do hope 1C follows or exceeds it with BON.

Skipped Syria for now until I get a new rig with faster CPU and more than 16 GB RAM...

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

sevenless
17 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

DCS WWII has no consistent plan or vision that I can get behind.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Though I enjoy the landscape flying over Normandy or UK in the new Channel map with the various WW2 planes, the complete lack of any career mode reduces the practical value greatly. With regards to map design, however, DCS is lightyears ahead of what BoX has to offer.

• Upvote 1

LuseKofte
15 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Skipped Syria for now until I get a new rig with faster CPU and more than 16 GB RAM...

In my rig Syria run smoother than Channel map. 

9 minutes ago, sevenless said:

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I think anyone into DCS use it for what it is. It provide believable wargames and excellent campaigns more alive than any in GB. But you need to look at it differently than GB. Like everything else the 👟 do not fit everyone. And that is ok, I would not enjoy any sim , if it was not for die hard fans of them,  I am not such a guy,, I come along now and then happily and enjoy the fiesta made by others

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Like 1

[DBS]TH0R
2 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

How much RAM you got?

[DBS]TH0R

That is why The Channel runs better on my rig with 16 GB. :)

When I upgrade and there are campaigns featuring this map - I will add it to my stable. Until then, The Channel features a bucket load of instant missions for WWII birds that alone are worth it for me since those are the planes I fly the most in DCS.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Bricks in Tumble Dryer run smoother than the Channel Map. 

4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

We'll have to see. But as there were strong suggestions the DCS Mosquito would come out before Christmas, and obviously didn't, I think we're going to see it this month. 

If the BoX Mosquito is out by July I'd be surprised. Also, the BoX Mosquito isn't a collector plane. That means I have to buy BoN - which I don't plan on doing - for about $110Cdn. I'll get the high-fidelity DCS Mosquito, sooner, for less.

A fair point well made old boy

CanadaOne
8 minutes ago, BOO said:

Bricks in Tumble Dryer run smoother than the Channel Map. 

A fair point well made old boy

If BoX ups their game regarding SP content creation, I'll buy BoN. But if it's the same ridiculous ME and the same same weak QMB, not a chance. 

Mind you, I really do need a fourth 190 and a ninth 109. Hard to believe I've lived this long without them. :P

• Upvote 1

Arthur-A

About performance on monitor. My rig is in the signature. I run DCS with almost maxed out settings. I fly SP campaigns with a huge numbers of aircraft and ground vehicles (2 of them on a Normandy map). The performance is great overall. There is occasional stutter or two, but nothing terrible. Most of the time it runs smooth. And hey, the time acceleration works great up to x8! So I can skip long boring flights. And I was surprised when I flew low level over some big cities on Normandy map and didn't notice any FPS drop!

I run box with maxed out graphics(except for clouds that set to high). It doesn't run smooth, I get constant stutters. Low level flying above cities on Rheinland map is terrible even in Quick Mission with no other aircraft. When I try to fly some campaigns it's even worse. Time acceleration is not working, so there's no way to skip long boring flights. Sometimes even 1x time is more like 0.85x. So on rare occasions when I feel like I want to play box I usually quit this game after first 5 mins. It performs terribly. Lowering graphics settings? I mean, it looks meh even on maxed out settings. Especially the ground. Why would I want to make it look even worse?

Edited by Arthur-A

QB.Creep
16 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

That is not a solution.  That's ignoring the issue.

The concern is that the AI is not very sophisticated, yes? Humans are - fly against them. 

29 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

The concern is that the AI is not very sophisticated, yes? Humans are - fly against them. 

Getting squad gang banged or vuched by some twonk on MP flying the last word in uber machines is every bit as annoying as dumb AI. 

MP is not the be all and end all solution for the vast majority who prefer their flights free of chat boxes and "aces" gaming the map. 

I flew MP for 5 years - its why I now fly SP. 

• Like 2

AndyJWest
1 hour ago, QB.Creep said:

Most (but not all) humans are capable of being sophisticated. Unfortunately, they are also capable of being a great number of other things too. Including some I've seen rather too often in multiplayer. Which is one reason (though perhaps not the primary one) why I don't do it anymore.

If people have the opportunity (which not all do, for a variety of reasons), I'd recommend giving multiplayer a go, once they have achieved a reasonable degree of competence. So they can then make the best judgement, based on their personal wants, and on how it goes for them, as to whether they prefer MP or SP, or indeed a mix of the two. Neither is inherently 'better', and accordingly it comes down to personal choice. Their own choice, and not one imposed by others who think that they are better imaginary-pilots just because they chase each other around the make-believe map.

We are doing this for fun, not to prove something-or-other concerning personal competence in an inevitably-inaccurate recreation of events taking place before we were born.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

CanadaOne
2 hours ago, BOO said:

Getting squad gang banged or vuched by some twonk on MP flying the last word in uber machines is every bit as annoying as dumb AI. 

MP is not the be all and end all solution for the vast majority who prefer their flights free of chat boxes and "aces" gaming the map. 

Can't you arrange a flight for people who aren't twonks? There must be some place where non-dickheads can fly for fun and don't try to spoil it for others.

DD_fruitbat
2 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Can't you arrange a flight for people who aren't twonks? There must be some place where non-dickheads can fly for fun and don't try to spoil it for others.

They're called squads......

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

CanadaOne
Just now, DD_fruitbat said:

There called squads......

If you can join a squad that pretty much solves the dickhead part of it, I guess. Or does it end up being squad against squad and the other guys are dickheads sometimes?

LuseKofte
5 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

If BoX ups their game regarding SP

Well. If you buy BON, you are houndreds of thousands % more chance to get to fly  Mossie. 

Based on what I heard and this is said by many many other people. Your selection of purchase is not right. It is not fair. I won and many many other people said it too. There is a million more reasons for me being right, many many  people say this too, just ask them. 

• Haha 1

QB.Creep
3 hours ago, BOO said:

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Most (but not all) humans are capable of being sophisticated. Unfortunately, they are also capable of being a great number of other things too. Including some I've seen rather too often in multiplayer. Which is one reason (though perhaps not the primary one) why I don't do it anymore.

If people have the opportunity (which not all do, for a variety of reasons), I'd recommend giving multiplayer a go, once they have achieved a reasonable degree of competence. So they can then make the best judgement, based on their personal wants, and on how it goes for them, as to whether they prefer MP or SP, or indeed a mix of the two. Neither is inherently 'better', and accordingly it comes down to personal choice. Their own choice, and not one imposed by others who think that they are better imaginary-pilots just because they chase each other around the make-believe map.

We are doing this for fun, not to prove something-or-other concerning personal competence in an inevitably-inaccurate recreation of events taking place before we were born.

In every game I have ever played, the computer is only capable of presenting a limited challenge. It's scripted to perform certain actions in specific situations, so there are patterns. Once you learn those patterns, you can exploit them, and the computer cannot improvise like a human can. 

All I'm saying is that the path you're on is a dead-end - AI in flight sims is either broken (can do things you cannot do) or is dumb as a rock. I haven't seen any middle ground. But to each his own - hopefully the dev team can improve the AI - I just think it will take a tremendous amount of time and energy to accomplish it.

Edited by QB.Creep
typo

LuseKofte
35 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

If you can join a squad that pretty much solves the dickhead part of it, I guess. Or does it end up being squad against squad and the other guys are dickheads sometimes?

If by dickhead you mean middle age people taking off and by next two seconds loosing each other. We are dickheads. 

Have to take a couple of restarts because someone chew up their tail with their propeller, well mostly me chewing up others tail. In our squad your not really part of it before I have. 

Ok I am a dickhead. There are a lot of groups out there. Ours do not have a leader. We improve slowly because of that  we fly two days in a week but only every second month we manage to be all in. Does not matter. Coop is the only way to fully enjoy GB, it make GB best

• Like 1

CanadaOne
31 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Ok I am a dickhead. 

Now you've put me in a tough spot because I'm inclined to agree with you most of the time. Now if I agree with you you'll be upset, and if I don't agree with you you'll think I'm just being difficult.

This is very unfair on your part. Everyone says so. Many, many people agree. They agree like never before. This is the greatest agreement ever. Period!

• Haha 2

Pekka_Rayha
10 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

About performance on monitor. My rig is in the signature. I run DCS with almost maxed out settings. I fly SP campaigns with a huge numbers of aircraft and ground vehicles (2 of them on a Normandy map). The performance is great overall. There is occasional stutter or two, but nothing terrible. Most of the time it runs smooth. And hey, the time acceleration works great up to x8! So I can skip long boring flights. And I was surprised when I flew low level over some big cities on Normandy map and didn't notice any FPS drop!

I run box with maxed out graphics(except for clouds that set to high). It doesn't run smooth, I get constant stutters. Low level flying above cities on Rheinland map is terrible even in Quick Mission with no other aircraft. When I try to fly some campaigns it's even worse. Time acceleration is not working, so there's no way to skip long boring flights. Sometimes even 1x time is more like 0.85x. So on rare occasions when I feel like I want to play box I usually quit this game after first 5 mins. It performs terribly. Lowering graphics settings? I mean, it looks meh even on maxed out settings. Especially the ground. Why would I want to make it look even worse?

I've got pretty similar experience.

I don't believe in GB engine. DCS seems to be the future proof option. Ironically it works ten times better running great battles. One of the major reasons I'm gravitating towards DCS lately. 

LuseKofte
7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

. Now if I agree with you

How dare you, I am the greatest dickhead of all times, there has never before wandered a greater one on face of the earth, many many others  has said so

A typical sign of taking this game too seriously. Just now I discovered that Yak 52 has no damagemodel 

• Haha 5

ST_Catchov
10 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

there has never before wandered a greater one on face of the earth, many many others  has said so

I didn't. :blink: 

Sorry, should I have? My apologies. Where do I do it?

Bremspropeller

Does anybody else have the issue with the TF30s randomly going boom om the F-14A, when going supersonic at altitude?

CanadaOne

How dare you, I am the greatest dickhead of all times, there has never before wandered a greater one on face of the earth, many many others  has said so

Period!

A typical sign of taking this game too seriously. Just now I discovered that Yak 52 has no damagemodel 

Why would you want to damage such a nice little plane? 

Don't be so horrible! :angry:

DD_Fenrir
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Does anybody else have the issue with the TF30s randomly going boom om the F-14A, when going supersonic at altitude?

TIT.

😉

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Bremspropeller

Yeah, but the TIT isn't supposed to skyrocket for nothing.

The ramps were on auto.

Gotta be a bug and looks like others have it too.

DD_fruitbat
5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Can't help you, I've only flown it once, have my hands full enough with the F-14B!!!!!

This is as close an escape as you can get, I should of died really, see 3:28......

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 2

DD_fruitbat
1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

That was quite intense!...

lol, it was, I nearly wet myself 'virtually' as the missile flashed by, then I remembered I'm a virtual TOMCAT pilot and shot him down!

Its from the Operation Cage the Bear campaign for the TOMCAT, which due to some editing, we're flying as a co-op together occasionally, some flying TOMCATS and some flying Hornets

Edited by DD_fruitbat

17 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

They're called squads......

Most of the time (100% of the squads I've been privileged to be in). But you also get idiot squads too. And you can never account for public servers.  

Where I think squads work their magic is closed co-op. Having a clear "outlook" about who they are and what they want to achieve as a group also helps. Sadly my shift pattern and general curmudgeonlyness as I move into upper middle age (its not old age - never will be) curtails my squad applicability. 

16 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

In every game I have ever played, the computer is only capable of presenting a limited challenge. It's scripted to perform certain actions in specific situations, so there are patterns. Once you learn those patterns, you can exploit them, and the computer cannot improvise like a human can. 

All I'm saying is that the path you're on is a dead-end - AI in flight sims is either broken (can do things you cannot do) or is dumb as a rock. I haven't seen any middle ground. But to each his own - hopefully the dev team can improve the AI - I just think it will take a tremendous amount of time and energy to accomplish it.

This is very true but equally, humans are equally predictable in that someone will ruin it for everyone (they can also be very predicable opponents - as anyone who ever faced me would attest!). The only server/event I ever saw anything different was Tip's excellent FNBFs but that was very much the epitome of co-op excellence.

Predictability also settles in servers running the same maps on a cycle and even servers running longer campaigns with limited options each map. Play them for a week and you really do kinda know what will happen where and even at what alt. Bomb, die, repeat, bounce, die, repeat. Its not much better than AI with only the added frisson of peril that you might get shoulder shot or rammed by the the pain train behind you all grasping for stats.  

With SP, especially within DCS where the missions and scripting can offer other problems to solve other than just shooting down AI, I can still find stuff to do without worrying about how dumb some stuff is. I can randomize SAM spawns and their ability so that no flight is the same, I can allow random system failures to add spice, I can enforce strict navigational and timing parameters etc etc.   I would never knock the choice of those who enjoy MP, I did myself for a long time afterall, but I will defend SP as being an "easy peasy" option flown only by those not man enough to face breathers. 

• Upvote 3

LuseKofte
13 hours ago, BOO said:

I would never knock the choice of those who enjoy MP, I did myself for a long time afterall, but I will defend SP as being an "easy peasy" option flown only by those not man enough to face breathers. 

I stopped flying MP because of its total lack of realism. It got nothing to do with historical air battles at all. I am in this because of my aviation historical interest, not for showing off my first person shooter abilities or lack of it. 

I am now flying a IL 2 career in box that is excellent. Ai wingmen behave and escort works. I fly transport missions in a MI 8 in DCS and feel useful. 

• Like 1

SCG_OpticFlow
29 minutes ago, nirvi said:

Preview of the new GMT-radarmode in the Hornet (And new clouds+Cyprus)

Nice clouds. DCS world engine has brought a lot of improvements during the last few years and feels to me like the pace has accelerated in 2020. Probably has to do with the scale of the business. Those modern modules like the Hog and the Hornet are also used by professional customers (ANG) which offsets some of the $million+ costs per module.

• Like 1