Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo

With a slightly heavy heart, we have decided to ban graphical injectors on Combat Box. ReShade and the VREM mod will no longer work as of the next map roll. With the new spotting improvements it feels like there are less and less valid arguments that ReShade is needed, and it's unfortunately a cheat vector for the game. All other mainstream servers have already banned injectors, today we're following suit. To those of you using injectors for a legitimate purpose I can only apologize and say that it sucks that a few cheaters ensure the rest of us can't have nice things.

The good thing is that spotting is genuinely improved and I have heard many friends (especially in VR) on comms gleefully exclaim "I can see! I can see!". Yay, and thank you to the devs for the improved visibility.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Just now, Alonzo said:

With a slightly heavy heart, we have decided to ban graphical injectors on Combat Box. ReShade and the VREM mod will no longer work as of the next map roll. With the new spotting improvements it feels like there are less and less valid arguments that ReShade is needed, and it's unfortunately a cheat vector for the game. All other mainstream servers have already banned injectors, today we're following suit. To those of you using injectors for a legitimate purpose I can only apologize and say that it sucks that a few cheaters ensure the rest of us can't have nice things.

The good thing is that spotting is genuinely improved and I have heard many friends (especially in VR) on comms gleefully exclaim "I can see! I can see!". Yay, and thank you to the devs for the improved visibility.

Now I am double f. up! 😖... spotting not working for me and it will get even worse without reshade... But I do comprehend the decision and think it is for the better because there will be always those lacking ethics. IMHO a good measure in terms of fairness and transparency.

~S~

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

This makes sense, though I’ll miss @c6_lefuneste ‘s VREM’s kneepad feature that allowed me to refer to screenshots of cockpit guides and my control settings. I guess it’ll be off with the headset and alt+tab instead, but worth it for a fairer playing field.

Edited by Charlo-VR
Added @c6_lufeneste

1 hour ago, JG27_M-C said:

Now I am double f. up! 😖... spotting not working for me and it will get even worse without reshade... But I do comprehend the decision and think it is for the better because there will be always those lacking ethics. IMHO a good measure in terms of fairness and transparency.

~S~

If you're using Reshade in conjunction with the improved spotting, its entirely possible that your setup on Reshade is actually making the spotting harder for you than if it's not on.

Give yourself some time to get used to it. 

VA_SOLIDKREATE
4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'm not sad, cheaters make the game un-playable. I wish there was a server side anti-cheat that bricked any cheating players computer.

• Haha 1

That's a bad news for Pimax users, as for the moment VREM is the only way to not use Parallel Projection (that eats fps) and keep a working zoom. Same for all other nice features and fixes provided in the mod.

But unfortunatelly, injectors may allow people to cheat...

• Upvote 1

ACG_Smokejumper

With a slightly heavy heart, we have decided to ban graphical injectors on Combat Box.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm planning on buying the PIMAX. Still don't care. Thank you.

VR is still in it's infancy. Just because it has some kinks to work out doesn't mean we should have a known weakness for cheaters.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

If you're using Reshade in conjunction with the improved spotting, its entirely possible that your setup on Reshade is actually making the spotting harder for you than if it's not on.

Give yourself some time to get used to it. 

I am dealing with massive frustration and been trying a ton of different things (settings, configs tweaks you name it) since the patch came out (including not using reshade). At this point and stage I guess I would have figured it out. Sometimes I can be tad slow... but by no means retarded. J/K 😄

Since the last patch I am being damaged way more without any air victories because people can see it better whereas I can't. I was gradually getting better (since I started multiplayer)... then came the patch and this is what I am having (check pic) lol.

~S~

PS: as per @69th_Panp suggestion the culprit could be laying on my screen (TV Samsung UE43RU7105kXXC 4K@60Hz). Anyone using something similar?

1.png

What do your video settings in game look like?  The best method I’ve found is to set up a quick mission against 4 fighters (small and camouflaged ones preferably) out 10,000 meters distance.  Turn icons on (you’re trying to test graphics settings, not your scanning techniques).  Just see at what distance you can spot the enemies.  Tweak one setting at a time and keep trying until you can see them pretty well.

3 minutes ago, KW_1979 said:

What do your video settings in game look like?  The best method I’ve found is to set up a quick mission against 4 fighters (small and camouflaged ones preferably) out 10,000 meters distance.  Turn icons on (you’re trying to test graphics settings, not your scanning techniques).  Just see at what distance you can spot the enemies.  Tweak one setting at a time and keep trying until you can see them pretty well.

Here's a spotting test mission you can use.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, KW_1979 said:

Right now I have it like this (check pics) and it sucks! As any other gazillion other settings and tweaks I have already tried. 🤢🤮

~S~

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

37 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Here's a spotting test mission you can use.

Here is an uncompressed screenshot using your mission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NHXFXQxGJrozzxyqrBbFVEmvACS0GheA/view?usp=sharing

~S~

Edited by JG27_M-C

2 hours ago, JG27_M-C said:

Right now I have it like this (check pics) and it sucks! As any other gazillion other settings and tweaks I have already tried. 🤢🤮

1.png

I'm generally suspicious of heavy NVidia control panel tweaks. The only one you should need is "prefer maximum performance" - I would get rid of the rest.

Then for in-game settings I would change yours to be:

• Mirrors - simple
  • Landscape filter - none or sharp
  • Antialiasing x2 (yours is currently 'off')

How's your frame rate? If you're already locked at your monitor refresh rate you could also enable vsync. A lot of people don't like that because "muh input lag" but since you're using flight controls there's no issue there. 4K locked at 60fps with vsync on is going to be perfectly fine.

MSAA x2 specifically increases the contrast around contacts, so you definitely want that on. MSAA requires some GPU performance, if you can't maintain the 60 FPS I would start reducing other settings so you can get MSAA x2 and 60 FPS. Grass quality to normal since that's cosmetic, horizon to 130km or 100km or even drop to High overall.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

ACG_Smokejumper
6 hours ago, JG27_M-C said:

I am dealing with massive frustration and been trying a ton of different things (settings, configs tweaks you name it) since the patch came out (including not using reshade). At this point and stage I guess I would have figured it out. Sometimes I can be tad slow... but by no means retarded. J/K 😄

Since the last patch I am being damaged way more without any air victories because people can see it better whereas I can't. I was gradually getting better (since I started multiplayer)... then came the patch and this is what I am having (check pic) lol.

~S~

PS: as per @69th_Panp suggestion the culprit could be laying on my screen (TV Samsung UE43RU7105kXXC 4K@60Hz). Anyone using something similar?

1.png

Do you require corrective lenses? Serious question. My buddy Shade sees in game better after he got lazers.

Have you ever tried using the monitor settings by physically hitting buttons on the bottom of your screen? I change my settings every map. I have 2 FPS settings 2 custom and an RPG setting. Each map has different light conditions and each setting displays contacts a bit different and it's not one size fits all for every map.

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JG27_M-C said:

Now I am double f. up! 😖... spotting not working for me and it will get even worse without reshade

@LeLv8_Archi said he needed to do a complete reinstall to get the new visibility working. Have you tried that?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'm generally suspicious of heavy NVidia control panel tweaks. The only one you should need is "prefer maximum performance" - I would get rid of the rest.

Then for in-game settings I would change yours to be:

• Mirrors - simple
  • Landscape filter - none or sharp
  • Antialiasing x2 (yours is currently 'off')

How's your frame rate? If you're already locked at your monitor refresh rate you could also enable vsync. A lot of people don't like that because "muh input lag" but since you're using flight controls there's no issue there. 4K locked at 60fps with vsync on is going to be perfectly fine.

MSAA x2 specifically increases the contrast around contacts, so you definitely want that on. MSAA requires some GPU performance, if you can't maintain the 60 FPS I would start reducing other settings so you can get MSAA x2 and 60 FPS. Grass quality to normal since that's cosmetic, horizon to 130km or 100km or even drop to High overall.

Thanks for the inputs!

Regarding my NVCP

Atialiasing - Gamma correction Off (contacts become less dim/blurred specially contrasting against the ground).

Low Latency Mode Ultra (best overall GPU performance... otherwise game will occasionally stutter).

Power management mode Prefer maximum performance (self explanatory).

Texture filtering options are set to have the best image quality possible out of the GPU (I have tried them all with no avail in terms of real spotting benefits. Left them set accordingly to community guidelines and how NVIDIA describe how they work).

Vertical sync Fast (same benefits of Vsync (no tearing) but without input lag and since you can run in window mode one can use SRS as overlay. The game also runs more smoothly).

Mirrors: I have tried all settings with no effect whatsoever on spotting abilities but some impact of FPS. I also don't fly aircraft fitted with mirrors.

Landscape filter: I have tried all settings. Aircraft are less dim/blurred contrasting against the ground when I have it set to blur.

Atialiasing: I have tried all settings possible in game and NVCP wise. Only difference between them is that when you start to raise MSAA contacts/aircraft will practically stop shimmering and LODS become more defined a the cost of a significant FPS drop. I can achieve acceptable FPS using MSAA x4. I don't like FXAA both in terms of spotting and in terms of image quality.

Locking the game at a given FPS makes the game run less smooth.

Grass should be at normal... forgot to change that one.

PS: forgot to mention that I have tried the game with an all default NVCP options. The  spotting will be slightly inferior, as stated earlier, and game performs worst.

9 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

Do you require corrective lenses? Serious question. My buddy Shade sees in game better after he got lazers.

Have you ever tried using the monitor settings by physically hitting buttons on the bottom of your screen? I change my settings every map. I have 2 FPS settings 2 custom and an RPG setting. Each map has different light conditions and each setting displays contacts a bit different and it's not one size fits all for every map.

Thanks!

What do you mean by corrective lenses? Eye glasses? What are lazers? Gaming glasses?

I have tweaked my screen options to exhaustion with some marginal benefits. I think the problem may be on the screen itself.

6 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

@LeLv8_Archi said he needed to do a complete reinstall to get the new visibility working. Have you tried that?

No I haven't (since the update)! But had OS (Win 10 Pro x64) full reinstall + game in the beginning of the month. I am flying exclusively online so I haven't messed with game files or mods.

Thanks!

PS: Gonna try that one for sure!

~S~ All.

Edited by JG27_M-C

ACG_Smokejumper
7 hours ago, JG27_M-C said:

What do you mean by corrective lenses? Eye glasses? What are lazers? Gaming glasses?

I have tweaked my screen options to exhaustion with some marginal benefits. I think the problem may be on the screen itself.

Yes, glasses. Lazer eye surgery. My buddy could spot better after he got his Mk1 eyeballs fixed.

• Thanks 1

MC you need to us monitor setings on samsung menu and adjust your sharpness turn it down Image result for arrow down graphic

also i use the game mode on samsung montior i use its 60hz game mode is suppose to have lower latency and i use fast sync like you but i do not mess with any other setting in the nvidia control panel try adjusting the distance you sit to monitor i always move my screen closer to me when i fly by like 1 foot closer if i sit to far from monitor i cannot spot certain planes

Edited by TeufelHunden
  • Thanks 1

VBF-12_Stick-95
On 9/23/2020 at 10:15 AM, Alonzo said:

With a slightly heavy heart, we have decided to ban graphical injectors on Combat Box. ...

Prior to this change and announcement I had deactivated Reshade and made adjustments on my monitor as a test to see how close I could get the visuals to what I was using.  The fact is it looked pretty damn good.  Although not using VR, I had VREM activated to use the sun halo and reticle portions.  I also deactivated this.  To my surprise I gained about 20fps in certain situations.  I found out about the ban when flying on CB when someone mentioned it. 

I have been a Reshade user for years and a defender of its use for coloration enhancement.  The recent update to the game for spotting however really helped to make the game fairer.  As far as I am concerned, and others in my squad I have spoken with that used Reshade, at this point there is very little being given up not having Reshade.  I completely understand the reason behind the ban and support it and think this will help people feel safe from the jerks that could not resist using Reshade as a cheat tool.  I know there are still people with medical conditions, etc. that may be affected more by not having it and I hope they find a different avenue to help get back some of what they may have lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the best advice for spotting now has to be reset everything to default as much as possible and play with those settings for a good long while to get used to them. Do not assume that any of the previous tricks people presented are beneficial - I think even before this some of the common advice did more harm than good. If after a lot of flying and getting used to it you want to tweak, go for it, but I think the developers improved the spotting in reference to default settings as much as possible, so anything you throw in there to 'improve' things is just as likely to mess things up as make it better.

I have my nvidia settings basically at default (other than performance-related stuff), and in-game I have blurred landscape, sharpen, and gamma set to 1.0 - the blur and sharpen I have just for looks, I don't think it really improves spotting that much. The gamma adjustment is really not necessary IMO and turning it down hinders you in certain lighting conditions. On Mitchell's Men on Wednesday I was able to track almost a dozen planes in low-light conditions in a fast-moving dogfight over the objectives. This would have been unheard of prepatch even with 'spotting settings' in NVCP.

Also kudos to the CB server admins and mission designers on stabilizing Mitchell's Men, that mission now seems to run quite well, at least when I've been on it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

Yes, glasses. Lazer eye surgery. My buddy could spot better after he got his Mk1 eyeballs fixed.

Thanks! I have tried with and without glasses but the problem lays how the image is being displayed on the screen and, as far as I can tell, not an eye/sight issue. I have never performed an eye laser surgery.

57 minutes ago, TeufelHunden said:

MC you need to us monitor setings on samsung menu and adjust your sharpness turn it down Image result for arrow down graphic

also i use the game mode on samsung montior i use its 60hz game mode is suppose to have lower latency and i use fast sync like you but i do not mess with any other setting in the nvidia control panel try adjusting the distance you sit to monitor i always move my screen closer to me when i fly by like 1 foot closer if i sit to far from monitor i cannot spot certain planes

I remember our comm chats about this. I definitely tested and use your recommendations unfortunately with no plausible improvement. Maybe your TV is just higher end (superior). Check pics for my TV options.

At this point I have tried everything going from extreme to basic/simple actions (with everything in between) with only marginal results. The only thing I can think (out of all) is that my screen is not doing the job right.

~S~ All! Thanks for the inputs.👍

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

1 hour ago, JG27_M-C said:

Thanks! I have tried with and without glasses but the problem lays how the image is being displayed on the screen and, as far as I can tell, not an eye/sight issue. I have never performed an eye laser surgery.

I remember our comm chats about this. I definitely tested and use your recommendations unfortunately with no plausible improvement. Maybe your TV is just higher end (superior). Check pics for my TV options.

At this point I have tried everything going from extreme to basic/simple actions (with everything in between) with only marginal results. The only thing I can think (out of all) is that my screen is not doing the job right.

~S~ All! Thanks for the inputs.👍

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Might be nothing, but your brightness is very low but your backlighting is very high. So maybe with the low brightness you are not seeing the reflections and such that make the contacts stand out. And with backlighting almost maxed out I would think that would be hard on your eyes if your room is not well-lit.

Not an expert here, just a thought.

The biggest change "we" discovered was to activate sharpen in your NVidia control panel.  This one change bought me back very close to reshade level.   Changed colors with my monitor also to get rid of that awful grey sky.  But the sharpen made things "pop" just like reshade did before.  

18 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Might be nothing, but your brightness is very low but your backlighting is very high. So maybe with the low brightness you are not seeing the reflections and such that make the contacts stand out. And with backlighting almost maxed out I would think that would be hard on your eyes if your room is not well-lit.

Not an expert here, just a thought.

It's odd the way both settings work to say the least... if you ask me, It would make more sense to swap both names regarding to what they are actual doing. I have tried extensively (with the simulator running) different settings with not much of a difference. The ones on the pics were the best I could find in terms of spotting results.

15 hours ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

The biggest change "we" discovered was to activate sharpen in your NVidia control panel.  This one change bought me back very close to reshade level.   Changed colors with my monitor also to get rid of that awful grey sky.  But the sharpen made things "pop" just like reshade did before.  

Have tried that one even before the patch. With the new patch that effect become more pronounced (strength wise). No real gain (on my end) in terms of spotting... and the way you set it up can create a very grainy image. To be perfectly honest even reshade was only doing marginal spotting improvements. Never had nothing that extreme that would compromise the way the game was supposed to be rendered.

~S~

PS: I really appreciate all of your help and inputs. Thank You!

Edited by JG27_M-C

VA_SOLIDKREATE
16 hours ago, TeufelHunden said:

if all else fails order a HP Reverb G2 and we can learn to tweak the new system together.... I'm going to be a VR noob in a couple of weeks....

https://bestware.com/en/hp-reverb-g2.html

US103_Hill was just telling me about this. 2160ppi in each eye I heard.

Looks like it has Peak Through too   --   https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html

Edited by VA_SOLIDKREATE

Not sure on this. 

Possibly he is referring to the ability to look at the real world with a button press using the front cameras. Instead of a virtual desktop as with my rift. 

• Upvote 1

I'm unaware if this is a coincidence, or a conscious change made by the map designers, but, just recently, I've noticed that fewer of the ComBox server maps have heavy cloud, and therefore less of an impact on my framerates in VR.

If it is by design then thank you, if it's coincidence than long may it continue.

Respect to the mission designers either way.

Horrido!

Witch

38 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

I'm unaware if this is a coincidence, or a conscious change made by the map designers, but, just recently, I've noticed that fewer of the ComBox server maps have heavy cloud, and therefore less of an impact on my framerates in VR.

If it is by design then thank you, if it's coincidence than long may it continue.

Maybe a bit of both 😉  For winter maps, there is zero chance of heavy cloud (it makes navigation very hard in the snow). On non-winter maps, there is ~21% chance of heavy cloud.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, =ABr=422nd_RedSkull said:

image.thumb.png.5e13ee9e84e6bc6014fabeec782d882d.png

RADOVAN KARADZIC?!?!?! Serious that this nick its allowed in Combat Box???? 

I wouldn't waste your time on this - if there really was a serious censorship concerning all those avatars sneaking around here on the forum,

I guess half of the community would be banned, be it for their names, tags or ridiculous wannabe SS, big Nazi avatar pictures. Sad but true!

• Upvote 3

Server kicked me due to connection lost, these are the first two times It has happened

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

New for the October tour, we've overhauled our treatment of disconnects and bail outs:

• disconnecting shortly after taking damage awards a kill to your opponent and a 'captured' status to you, ending your streak
  • disconnecting at any other time incurs a small 'fairplay' penalty
  • patterns of suspicious / convenient disconnects will be investigated. If someone disconnects while you're on their six, please send us a TacView (not an in-game recording, a TacView please) and we will confirm with stats logs and take action.
  • bailing out from an undamaged plane incurs a fairplay penalty as well as a points penalty for that sortie. Bailing out is not against the rules, but if you do it at the first sign of trouble you're going to decrease your points earned due to the fairplay penalty.

Fairplay starts at 100% and is reduced through friendly fire, team kills, disconnecting or bailing from an undamaged aircraft. Fairplay is earnt back through flight time. If your pilot has 100% fairplay, you get bonuses to your sortie if you land safely or if your side wins the mission. If you have less than 100% fairplay, you miss out on these bonuses.

• Thanks 1

E69_Qpassa_VR
2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

New for the October tour, we've overhauled our treatment of disconnects and bail outs:

• disconnecting shortly after taking damage awards a kill to your opponent and a 'captured' status to you, ending your streak
  • disconnecting at any other time incurs a small 'fairplay' penalty
  • patterns of suspicious / convenient disconnects will be investigated. If someone disconnects while you're on their six, please send us a TacView (not an in-game recording, a TacView please) and we will confirm with stats logs and take action.
  • bailing out from an undamaged plane incurs a fairplay penalty as well as a points penalty for that sortie. Bailing out is not against the rules, but if you do it at the first sign of trouble you're going to decrease your points earned due to the fairplay penalty.

Fairplay starts at 100% and is reduced through friendly fire, team kills, disconnecting or bailing from an undamaged aircraft. Fairplay is earnt back through flight time. If your pilot has 100% fairplay, you get bonuses to your sortie if you land safely or if your side wins the mission. If you have less than 100% fairplay, you miss out on these bonuses.

I don't like it because sometimes the server decides to stop having a connection with me 😕

• Like 1

VA_SOLIDKREATE
6 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

I don't like it because sometimes the server decides to stop having a connection with me 😕

Yeah #1 is kind of "iffy". I get dropped all the time. A few times in the middle of the fight where we both got strikes on each other.