Jump to content

Combat Box by Red Flight


Alonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TWC_Target said:

Didn't think of that, good to know, thanks.

 ALTHOUGH, if I hit a plane on the deck with a bomb is that considered vulching?

No problem if its not a protected airfield.

If you hit a moving jet with a bomb  I'm pretty sure Alonzo names an airfield after you or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being able to comfortably circle in the flak of an enemy airfield with no fear of being hit isn't historical either, but that's the sad reality of the game right now. 

 

The protected zones allow:

1. People who hate vulching a safe place to take off and land.

2. People who love vulching or being vulched an action packed spot at the unprotected airfields.

3. Load reduction for the server.  Less airfield flak (which did almost nothing to defend the fields anyway) means more server resources free for interesting mechanics like strategic bombers and recon zones etc.

4. Work reduction for the admins.

 

Like anything, its a compromise but it seems like a really good one so far.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

Those people thinking that "I" want to attack unprotected bases did not understand nothing. The 8 km perimeter is not historical, it only creates areas of aerial exclusion.. The only rule for aerial combat that exists is "check your 6".

It's a video game. Doesn't make sense to go full historical on CB imho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Birdman said:

It's a video game. Doesn't make sense to go full historical on CB imho.

I agree, for babies. Apparently crying babies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LUZITANO said:

I agree, for babies. Apparently crying babies.

 

It's a server performance improvement. You don't have to fly on this server if you don't like it - other servers are available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, LUZITANO said:

I agree, for babies. Apparently crying babies.

Lol you're the one doing a lot of the crying.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

 

It's a server performance improvement. You don't have to fly on this server if you don't like it - other servers are available.

of course, people are realizing this.
 

17 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Lol you're the one doing a lot of the crying.

yeah... true... but people defending this rule do not understand the function of the aerial simulator. This new rule is absurd in some ways that you may not realize if you treat it just like a video game.

 

Edited by LUZITANO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LUZITANO said:

of course, people are realizing this.

 

Interesting that you choose to start complaining AFTER we made all the frontline airbases unprotected 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, haluter said:

 

Interesting that you choose to start complaining AFTER we made all the frontline airbases unprotected 🙄

I was absent in the last few months due to problems with my internet. I have spoken before and I will speak again, I do not attack bases, I kill the "vulchers".

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson

Have a small sort of suggestion. 

 

On the map 262 menace, the German airfield Venlo is very close to the Twin Bridges objective. The safe zone extends to what seems to be perhaps 1/3 of the way to the objective. Noticed today that axis flyers were able to dive bomb the target from South to North and be back in the safe zone within probably 90 seconds. 

 

Please to consider making Venlo an unprotected field

IMG_20200811_165559.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

=ABr=422nd_RedSkull
1 hour ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Have a small sort of suggestion. 

 

On the map 262 menace, the German airfield Venlo is very close to the Twin Bridges objective. The safe zone extends to what seems to be perhaps 1/3 of the way to the objective. Noticed today that axis flyers were able to dive bomb the target from South to North and be back in the safe zone within probably 90 seconds. 

 

Please to consider making Venlo an unprotected field

IMG_20200811_165559.jpg

Venlo its a unprotected area. Look that dont have a striped circle around it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
7 hours ago, =ABr=422nd_RedSkull said:

Venlo its a unprotected area. Look that dont have a striped circle around it.

 

This map is old i believe. In the server it had a circle around it IIRC. Maybe i am blind, but i looked a few times to be sure as i was chasing someone from the twin bridges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's very sad to see that a few fliers don't understand logic, reality or anyone else's perspective. There are some particularly sad repetitive circular arguments:

  1. "Bases should not have protection, just add more defensive guns." Reality: We can't make AA actually effective, and even ineffective AA hurts server performance.
  2. "Bases should not have protection, players should organize to defend them." Reality: Players do organize to defend their bases, then people whine about no-one doing ground attack or every objective having 20 fighters defending it.

@LUZITANO you can think what you want about the rules, but name calling and dumping crap into our thread is not appreciated.

 

Just judging by the upvotes on the admin posts in this thread, most people "get it". The current protected airfield system is basically a workaround for the ineffective expensive AA. It's not perfect and it has significant drawbacks. No-one is arguing it's perfect. But it's a compromise that most people are willing to put up with.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

 

@LUZITANO you can think what you want about the rules, but name calling and dumping crap into our thread is not appreciated.

 

Just judging by the upvotes on the admin posts in this thread, most people "get it". The current protected airfield system is basically a workaround for the ineffective expensive AA. It's not perfect and it has significant drawbacks. No-one is arguing it's perfect. But it's a compromise that most people are willing to put up with.

Overall CBOX is the best server.  If I’m complaining or suggesting it’s because I care, even if I’m a little annoying.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.610_Smokejumper
On 8/8/2020 at 12:50 AM, Talon_ said:

 

. Let's just say you have a certain writing style.

 

 

 

Do you guys ever stop and consider others head space at all?

 

I know I've been accused of toxicity... I'm a literal autist. I also have a style and unfortunately its abrasive. I'm only as social as I am today due to years of being kicked under the table by my wife and detailed conversations on what kind of behavior is "normal".

 

Why else is it do you think I nitpicked the shit out of you guys when you use history as a reason for rules related to fun?

 

Autismo me knows about logistics and airfields lacking any artillery pieces during boddenplatte.

 

I know you want things to be civil and I want to reply in kind thanks to your work but..... I was always concerned when you wanted to micromanage speech and play style. In an effort to be polite and maintain the feel you want in the community I need to say that I am disappointed. I wonder perhaps if private discord meetings with offenders might be a good idea? Myself for example, I'm much nicer in voice comms due to my blunt nature which comes with autism. Anyway.... Autism is kick ass as a trait for being a scaffolder.  :P Anal trade for an anal person.

 

There are posts in the BoX thread voicing concerns that the spawn safe zone will be abused. This looks like abuse.

 

On 8/11/2020 at 12:50 AM, haluter said:

 

All our maps now have both protected and unprotected airbases. Players can choose to operate from unprotected airbases if they enjoy the feeling of danger, and can also choose to attack unprotected enemy airbases, including enemy players on the ground. Previously this option was not available on our maps as all airbases were considered protected, and you would be banned for vulching enemy airbases. Do you want us to return to the old rules, or would you agree that by offering players the option to play the game the way they want is a good compromise?

 

 

 

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

 

As a point I've not gone and strafed yet but I've had some crazy take offs.

 

For the attackable fields.... Is it possible to have many spawn locations but to limit hardware issue less spawn points. It's easy to roll in on one point on the airfield making scrambles exceptionally difficult. Being able to randomise spawn picks might helps us get out.

 

Thanks!

On 8/12/2020 at 9:48 AM, LUZITANO said:

Overall CBOX is the best server.  If I’m complaining or suggesting it’s because I care, even if I’m a little annoying.

 this

On 8/11/2020 at 3:41 PM, haluter said:

 

Interesting that you choose to start complaining AFTER we made all the frontline airbases unprotected 🙄

 

I want to take some credit! I whined like a bunch.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, Alonzo said:

 

Just judging by the upvotes on the admin posts in this thread, most people "get it". The current protected airfield system is basically a workaround for the ineffective expensive AA. It's not perfect and it has significant drawbacks. No-one is arguing it's perfect. But it's a compromise that most people are willing to put up with.

 

You could go full historical and leave some bases without any flak.    :P

On 8/11/2020 at 4:10 PM, 357th_Dog said:

Imagine the meltdown the germanos are going to have when the DM is finally fixed 

 

 

Same but reverse.

 

cannon > .50

 

I'd love to see a full fidelity DM on par with Cliffs of Dover.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:34 AM, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:



If you want to be shot on the ground just land at an enemy base.

 

 I used to be 71st once upon a time.

 

Airfield suppression in Spit Ia's was a hell of a good time in squadron force.

 

Good times. Great squadron.

 

One of my favorite memories was rolling in on a Ju88 with 7 or 8 Spits. We hammered the cockpit head on. It felt like real bob stuff.

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

Do you guys ever stop and consider others head space at all?

 

This cuts both ways. Over the past two months I've been trying to balance server administration with:

 

Buying my first house while my fiancée is rushed into hospital and spends a week there involving live-saving emergency surgery. Meanwhile thanks to COVID the mortgage I have arranged falls through at a critical moment and I have to organise a second one soon enough to not lose the house. On top of that my working hours go up and my pay is reduced by 20%. As a result of the surgery, family planning has to be drastically accelerated so I need to abruptly reorient my life and immediate future plans around this. We've spent all our money on the house deposit and so now there's nothing left to support this change in the very near future.

 

All I ask is that people just be nice. We're volunteers and we have shit going on outside this videogame too.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

=TU=flynvrtd

Talon, 

 When I speak blunt, plain and sometimes with expletives, it not me being  "mean", its me  being direct and to the point.  Other than my last issue with a childish personality, I don't think I've ever directly posted an attack on any individual. THAT, would be toxic.

 

Sincerest best wishes for your personal real life issues to be cleared up and that things will run smoother asap. Really hope your fiance is on the mend to full recovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The_Rhineland_Campaign mission with the airfields unprotected is fantastic, I played it yesterday.

I also draged a 109 for my base on "Eindhoven" mission. People called the guy a vulcher, but ... he was lured into a fight that took place over a red target near the base. I would not want him to be kicked if he killed me, even if I attracted him to my base because it would be unfair and strange. The AA killed the guy, anyway, this is one thing to consider.

Edited by LUZITANO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-SF-Disarray

Luzitano, I think everyone recognizes that the current system is an imperfect solution to the problem. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a better solution available with the tools and limitations of the engine. If a person chases another all the way back to the airfield I'd say the consequences lay squarely on their shoulders. Knowing where you are in relation to the rest of the game world is part of the game. That guy that chased you could have chosen not to. Alternatively you could have chosen to turn and fought with him before you made it to the exclusion zone. Players have agency, and they should use it intelligently.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.610_Smokejumper
18 hours ago, Talon_ said:

 

This cuts both ways. Over the past two months I've been trying to balance server administration with:

 

Buying my first house while my fiancée is rushed into hospital and spends a week there involving live-saving emergency surgery. Meanwhile thanks to COVID the mortgage I have arranged falls through at a critical moment and I have to organise a second one soon enough to not lose the house. On top of that my working hours go up and my pay is reduced by 20%. As a result of the surgery, family planning has to be drastically accelerated so I need to abruptly reorient my life and immediate future plans around this. We've spent all our money on the house deposit and so now there's nothing left to support this change in the very near future.

 

All I ask is that people just be nice. We're volunteers and we have shit going on outside this videogame too.

 

 

Sounds rough but when you pull it off it's a good feeling.

 

I own a small scaffold company and sympathize with your situation. Putting off the mortgage during COVID has been very helpful. I hope your place is nicer than my first place. My first was a roach infested apartment in West Footscray, Australia. Killing cockroaches with your bare hands.... Good times.

 

I hope your missus comes good bro! Best of luck! Thanks for sharing. I've found a lot of support in online communities.

 

My group, ACG helped me get through a really rough patch after a life altering injury. I had to move, sell my house and I've been fighting with my former employer since 2011. At that time my behavior was waaaaay worse than what you've seen. I was so angry all the time.

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

...The AA killed the guy, anyway, this is one thing to consider.

Easy to consider this guy : either he did not know where he was on the map, or (and?) he is suicidal. He is therefore either a newbie or a bad skilled pilot and he is dead in all logical. He still has a lot to learn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone need to tell me how you are supposed to know when you're precisely entering the 8km circle around airfield when you're flying on deck level. 

 

I'm 100% with this rules. But 8kms is too large (just my opinion). 

 

Is it, at least, possible to have a message that warn you when you're entering the 8km circle? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-SF-Disarray

In short, there is no way to know the exact moment you are in the zone. The heavy AA guns have an 8km range, so if you see that you are taking fire but aren't near a target then you are in the zone. The heavy flack fire can be missed though, as it is often behind you. The best way I know of is to look on the map and find a landmark near the edge of the zone and just give that landmark a wide birth. A river or lake, for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Someone need to tell me how you are supposed to know when you're precisely entering the 8km circle around airfield when you're flying on deck level.

You have to be a good navigator to be sure exactly where you are or most simply, don't hunt too close of ennemy airfields (far away enough) for don't be disapointed. If you begin your attack around ~10 km... it's very (too much) risky.


8km = ~1 minute flight : it's a very short time  to be killed after take off or before landing. And between 10/15 kms it's still a zone where ennemies are low and slow for hunters addict of easy job (I know it's not your case)..


This rule promote the real objectives draw on the map and described in the briefing (spawn bases are not targets). At last, with this rule less AAs are needed for protect bases : it's good for the server and good for us too (best fluidity in game).

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Someone need to tell me how you are supposed to know when you're precisely entering the 8km circle around airfield when you're flying on deck level. 

 

I'm 100% with this rules. But 8kms is too large (just my opinion). 

 

Is it, at least, possible to have a message that warn you when you're entering the 8km circle? 

 

Just interested to know why you would want to be on the deck so close to an AF, when the majority of those AFs are a lot further away than some of the objectives?

 

I guess you could always find an enemy and shoot at him as you would soon get a message warning if you were within 8km 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.610_Smokejumper
35 minutes ago, Haza said:

 

Just interested to know why you would want to be on the deck so close to an AF, when the majority of those AFs are a lot further away than some of the objectives?

 

I guess you could always find an enemy and shoot at him as you would soon get a message warning if you were within 8km 😆

 

 

The best way to intercept bombers and fighters is to aggressively patrol between their airfield and likely targets. Flying directly over things you want to protect means bombers drop. You want to hit them before the release. It's easy to end up too close.

 

The flak is a nice warning and you should know where you are. I don't mind the 8km rule as we also have attackable airfields. I get my exciting takeoffs and others get their "safe space".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed flying a Ju-52 transport from Asbach to Limburg today, even taxiing to the large hangar after landing.  It doesn't actually earn any points, I see, unless I did something wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

I enjoyed flying a Ju-52 transport from Asbach to Limburg today, even taxiing to the large hangar after landing.  It doesn't actually earn any points, I see, unless I did something wrong.

 

I don't believe that there are any points. I did four supply sorties in an A-20 and after each spawn out was informed that I had ditched.

Are there any para drop re-supplied for Blue or is it land only?  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

II/JG11_ATLAN_VR

hi alonso

 

we II/JG11 enjoy very much yr server and fly daily

but today i have to complain about kampfpilot JG3 who shot down me II/JG11ATLAN  flying 109 and II/JG11PUMA in 190A3

by friendly fire over lommel and tournhout v1 sites, by his  blue190

statistic see attached, there are no other red planes involved.

by incident or why, we have to complain this

pls act as you will as admin

stat attached!188603746_kampfpilotjg3.thumb.jpg.0e4ed348d5a9f85247a8074bc906c2be.jpg

 

thx

II/JG11ATLAN on behalf of my squad

 

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN_VR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, II/JG11ATLAN_VR said:

but today i have to complain about kampfpilot JG3 who shot down me II/JG11ATLAN  flying 109 and II/JG11PUMA in 190A3

by friendly fire over lommel and tournhout v1 sites, by his  blue190

 

Sorry that this happened to you on Combat Box 🙁

8 hour warning ban issued to kampfpilot_JG3 for the double team kill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

II/JG11_ATLAN_VR
1 hour ago, haluter said:

 

Sorry that this happened to you on Combat Box 🙁

8 hour warning ban issued to kampfpilot_JG3 for the double team kill.

Thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, JG300_Faucon said:

Is it, at least, possible to have a message that warn you when you're entering the 8km circle? 

 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:13 AM, -SF-Disarray said:

In short, there is no way to know the exact moment you are in the zone. The heavy AA guns have an 8km range, so if you see that you are taking fire but aren't near a target then you are in the zone. The heavy flack fire can be missed though, as it is often behind you. The best way I know of is to look on the map and find a landmark near the edge of the zone and just give that landmark a wide birth. A river or lake, for example.

 

Yep, this is right. Unfortunately the server gives no TacView-style data output of live aircraft positions. The logs contain "after the fact" events such as damage, kills, takeoffs, landings, which is near-realtime but limited. So Disarray is right -- you need to have a sense of if there's a protected airfield close by, and look for flak if you're not sure. By the way, we're happy to have a discussion if there are airfields that are protected but "too close" to the front line. We fixed a few of those in the first few days and I'm yet to be convinced we have remaining protected fields that should not be, but happy to receive the suggestion and to think about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...