Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo

-Six-Motivated
19 hours ago, Alonzo said:

To celebrate the release of the Hurricane, Combat Box is running a series of mid-war missions this week so you can enjoy the new Hurricane and a bit of variety compared to our usual late-war line up. You'll see some classic missions like Stalingrad Scramble and Battle for Kalinin as well as a brand new mission Skirmish at Velikie Luki. Have fun, let us know how you like the Hurricane.

Will these missions only be available for a limited amount of time? I hope not. More mid-war and possibly early-war maps would truly make Combat Box the ultimate server IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Motivated said:

Will these missions only be available for a limited amount of time? I hope not. More mid-war and possibly early-war maps would truly make Combat Box the ultimate server IMO.

I also think, that add some earlier planes would help CombatBox. I understand, that it is Western theatre server, but still, we have Spitfire Mk.Vb, Hurricane, P-40, P-39, germans have everything they need. Offcourse BodenPlatte planeset should be still in majority, but sometimes it would be nice to fly 1941, 1942 or 1943. Like 1:3 ratio... It will be better, when BoN planeset will come...

3 hours ago, Motivated said:

We're not sure. This is a bit of an experiment. We're going to listen to feedback and watch player counts and stuff like that.

10 minutes ago, CrimsonLion said:

These "new" maps are a nice shake up.  Variety is the spice of life!

Thank you! One is truly a new mission, on the beautiful Velikie Luki map, the others haven't been in rotation much and were kind of gathering dust. I revamped them to our current map standards and added the SRS radio integration, and made them mid-war. So we have 5 mid-war missions right now.

3 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

I also think, that add some earlier planes would help CombatBox. I understand, that it is Western theatre server, but still, we have Spitfire Mk.Vb, Hurricane, P-40, P-39, germans have everything they need. Offcourse BodenPlatte planeset should be still in majority, but sometimes it would be nice to fly 1941, 1942 or 1943. Like 1:3 ratio... It will be better, when BoN planeset will come...

Well, we have the Hurricane, the Razorback, and the Yak-9/T, so that's not a bad start.

At the moment the missions are a bit of a zoo, with probably too many planes to choose from. We'll see about making it a bit less crazy in due course.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

We're going to listen to feedback and watch player counts and stuff like that.

I would vote for a Combat Box that will stay a fully west front server (may be 10% with russians on the map rotation). 

BON will add some diversity. 

In my case, west planeset of 44/45 are my favorit.

Edited by JG300_Faucon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I know, I know. Most early western planes are  Colectors plane. But it is possible make P-40, Spit V, Hurri II, A-20, limited Spit IX and P-47RB vs F-4, M.C.202, 110, Ju-88 and limited G-6 and A-3 mission? Prelude for westerne front 🙂
Soviet servers is many. And east front is not reason, why pilots flying on CombatBox 🙂
Idea only.

Dear Combat Box Administrators,

Late last night Pacific time, on the Stalingrad Scramble mission, we came upon a Fw 190A who was determined to shoot me down even though I was also flying a Fw 190A.  Despite repeated attempts to communicate via chat, and much navigation light-flicking, he persisted and my wingman was forced to give the dingus a most courteous, most gentlemanly blast of 20 mm high explosives.

https://combatbox.net/en/sortie/log/990508/?tour=28

We humbly ask your forgiveness, and as per Jagdgeschwader 13 Squadron Policy, we began the mandatory remedial measures which involved Scotch and ice.  (A punishment indeed, for scotch must always be had "neat" unless one is a heathen savage).

Yours, etc.

JG13

Edited by JG13_opcode
  • Haha 3

Please put the p51, p38 and tempy back in....we fly this "stuff" for years after IL2 1946 went the way of the dodo....finally we get P51, P38 and Tempy....then we have to fly this again?  give us choice... those who want to fly this "stuff" can and those of us who dont want to fly it can stay with 51, 38 and tempy.

What would be wrong with those who want the 51, 38 and tempy being able to pick that plane?  If peeps want to freakin fly that other crap then they can... I just dont understand taking the 51, 38 and tempy out....seems like you want to force everyone to fly hurri or spit or p40?  can you not put those planes on the same map as 51, 38 and tempy?  

All the 109 and 190 pilots just laughing the asses off.... ah the heady days of Post IL2 1946 when 109s and 190s bnz'd the crap outta everthing and no hurri could catch them.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, CIA_Elanski said:

Please put the p51, p38 and tempy back in....we fly this "stuff" for years after IL2 1946 went the way of the dodo....finally we get P51, P38 and Tempy....then we have to fly this again?  give us choice... those who want to fly this "stuff" can and those of us who dont want to fly it can stay with 51, 38 and tempy.

What would be wrong with those who want the 51, 38 and tempy being able to pick that plane?  If peeps want to freakin fly that other crap then they can... I just dont understand taking the 51, 38 and tempy out....seems like you want to force everyone to fly hurri or spit or p40?  can you not put those planes on the same map as 51, 38 and tempy?  

All the 109 and 190 pilots just laughing the asses off.... ah the heady days of Post IL2 1946 when 109s and 190s bnz'd the crap outta everthing and no hurri could catch them.

I'd really like to see a Warclouds-type server return.  1944-1945 semi-historical plane sets with emphasis on balance.

• Upvote 1

I kind of like the earlier match ups. Sure flying the high powered stuff is fun but it gets a bit old when it is the same planes all the time. I'll go so far as to suggest that adding some more Soviet-German missions in would be a good idea. 

11 hours ago, JG300_Faucon said:

I would vote for a Combat Box that will stay a fully west front server (may be 10% with russians on the map rotation). 

BON will add some diversity. 

In my case, west planeset of 44/45 are my favorit.

I think I like CB as primarily western front. But I also like a change of pace for a little bit. Having occasional earlier missions in the rotation, or special events with earlier planes, but maintaining the late war focus of the server.

• Like 3

GOA_Firebird_VR

Maybe what CB host can do its to alternate one mission on western and the next one eastern front, meanwhile Battle of Normandy map appears.

OMG, we have 14 568 east servers and only one western server. Lets turning last western server to east server too! 🙄

We have 42/43 western Planes. Why using soviet Planes? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After playing this game first four ( or how much was that ?) years after release, I was fed up with early war plane sets. Then new planes were delivered  and CB was put in action.  I was very happy to have finally a server with late war aircrafts. If someone can still enjoy flying early things, then there are several well populated servers available.

Protected zones, autobalancing, 41-42 plane sets...... I am getting worried.😟

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CSW_606_Temp said:

OMG, we have 14 568 east servers and only one western server. Lets turning last western server to east server too! 🙄

We have 42/43 western Planes. Why using soviet Planes? 

3 hours ago, Batzet said:

After playing this game first four ( or how much was that ?) years after release, I was fed up with early war plane sets. Then new planes were delivered  and CB was put in action.  I was very happy to have finally a server with late war aircrafts. If someone can still enjoy flying early things, then there are several well populated servers available.

Protected zones, autobalancing, 41-42 plane sets...... I am getting worried.😟

Combat Box player numbers were dwindling through October. We were fine at the weekends, but on week nights where usually we were full we instead had sometimes only 20 or 30 players. That might just be the TAW effect, but actually a lot of players had said they found the exclusive late-war focus was getting a bit repetitive. Since Thursday with the Hurricane launch and a collection of mid-war missions to fly, Combat Box has been full. Unfortunately we don't know if that's just the Hurricane release, or the weekend starting, or "back to school" wearing off, or what.

People do seem to like the mid war stuff. This is just an experiment, and the admin team have an active discussion about what to do going forward. Fear not, the late war missions will return soon!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GOA_Karaya_CRI*VR* said:

Maybe what CB host can do its to alternate one mission on western and the next one eastern front, meanwhile Battle of Normandy map appears.

I don't think that every other mission needs to be Soviet-German even. One in three or four could do the trick. Just something to break up the sameyness of things. And I say this knowing full well what is likely to happen on these few Soviet-German set missions: A part of the population will complain a lot about it, a smaller part of them will just leave and a significant portion of the server pop will shift to the German team all the sudden because of rather unflattering reasons in my opinion but I'll be charitable and not say what those are explicitly.

Even knowing this is likely to be the case I think more verity would be nice. And I think I'm not alone in wanting this verity. In the same time the CB was dropping population Fins was picking it up. There could be many reasons for this, true, but I think a significant component of this is verity. That the CB pop ticked back up when things were shaken up, I think, speaks to this.

• Upvote 2

Just an idea but maybe one or two days a week of eastern front maps to break up the constant p51 vs k4. And to me it’s not the plane set that makes combat box unique and my preferred server but rather the detail that goes into the maps and amount of community interaction that’s hard to find in other servers. So long as they keep producing things to the standard they’ve been at I’ll probably continue to play this server regardless of what plane set is on. 

• Like 2

Ok, if you want early plane set then add them for the gents who are sick and want to fly 41, 42, 43 planes.  Is there a reason we cant have both?  If you are bored with late war then you could pick a early plane.   Doesn't mean you have to take the p51 and p38 and tempy out.  I dont want to fly early war.  I do sometime on Wings in the morning when that server is busy.  Wings also has maps with late war.  

I'm just saying dont take the 51 and 38 away.  just add some early junk for those who are bored with late war. 

How can you be bored already?  we freakin flew russian for YEEEEEARS before finally getting late war back.  Now you want early war???? And yes there are plenty of servers with early war.  Go wet your whistle there maybe.

I have not seen anything that says you have to take the p38 and p51 out in order to put a yak or LA5 in the plane set.  So just add some and not take away the p38 and p51 and tempy.

No one took out the spit 9.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately I never got those years of eastern front experience that you got. I only got into Il-2 and flight sims less than 2 years ago and my first multiplayer experience was flying the spit mk9. The majority of my time has been spent in late war matchups and as fun as flying a yak1 against a k4 would be I’m sure you could see why it would lose its appeal rather quickly. I’m not asking for combat box to only do eastern front or even 50-50 just include it every know and then for a bit of diversity.

StaB/Tomio_VR***

What i suggest is to keep this server western front only but not only 1944-45 because it is indeed repetitive.

It will be definitely easier with Normandy map but maybe a try can be done until we get it

With the Hurricane and the Spit V, it should be possible to make some 1940 or 41 scenario on the Bodenplatte map.

Some 1943 scenario before Mustang made its appearance with P-47D22, P-38, SpitIX, 109G6 and 190A5 as main fighters would be fun too

I also suggest to add the C47 dropping some paratroopers on the Bridge too far map ;)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

If you worried about the low attendance, it may or may not be the plane set and theater. So I understand that you want to have an experiment. What has been unique for CB was that it constantly provides late war planes. Rotation of mid and late maps is fine with me but having exclusive mid maps all the time makes this server not so different from other servers. 

I also noticed that the server changed its policy of kicking out non-registered player. If you want to experiment, why not adding more variety such as plane GPS etc. for certain maps?

Edited by CIA_DrJet

29 minutes ago, CIA_DrJet said:

If you worried about the low attendance, it may or may not be the plane set and theater. So I understand that you want to have an experiment. What has been unique for CB was that it constantly provides late war planes. Rotation of mid and late maps is fine with me but having exclusive mid maps all the time makes this server not so different from other servers. 

Agreed.  I like that I could hop on CB at more or less any time and find a G-14 or a 190A-5/D-9, or if I'm feeling dirty a P-38.

I don't mind the eastern front missions but I do prefer a west focus. Good thing about Normandy is you can make missions dating back to 43 or even earlier so it will allow the western missions to have a bit of early war flair to them which will be nice.

=X51=H_Stiglitz
1 hour ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Some 1943 scenario before Mustang made its appearance with P-47D22, P-38, SpitIX, 109G6 and 190A5 as main fighters would be fun too

Issue with that is that a G6 is a collector plane and not too many have it. It‘s not exactly a must have.

ATT Alonzo moderator

Protected area question

Hello

Today i got shot down over the Crimea map on my way back to base badly shot up . I was struggling to at least get into the exclusion zone and maybe even land at my base  but i got shot down just on the border area of the protected zone . In stats i was listed as killed . My question here is since i was extremely close to the protected area what happens if i was in fact in the protected zone and i  did get shot down and killed in that area ? is the kill excluded from stats ? if i was on my way back with credits such as kills  and flight time are these rehabilitated automatically in stats ? 

Edited by adler_1

26 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

My question here is since i was extremely close to the protected area what happens if i was in fact in the protected zone and i  did get shot down and killed in that area ? is the kill excluded from stats ? if i was on my way back with credits such as kills  and flight time are these rehabilitated automatically in stats ? 

The guy that kill you got an instant kick. 

• Upvote 1

=RvE=Windmills

Hiya, just curious about the new stamina indicator. Is there no servers that are using it? Was just trying combat box and it did not show the indicator of how tired my pilot was. Didn't seem to show on other servers either so curious what the deal with it is online.

VA_SOLIDKREATE

I like the new map scenarios. I forgot how nice it was to reach out to pick apples on my way to a target in the IL-2 =O). Such a stable gun platform. I tore a Bf-109F-4 up with the 23mm's.

2020_11_7__10_3_43.thumb.jpg.2f236bc43c25b37e3034d37011cd5332.jpg

2020_11_7__10_4_11.thumb.jpg.bb098f937535fb65ac1d57b9ac3cec35.jpg

Was there a 1941 IL2 there or just the 1943 version?  Just asking because I stuck 67 .50 cal rounds into a 110 who then flew 5 grids and landed leaking all over the place.  So why not the 1941 IL2.

Edited by CIA_Elanski

=ABr=422nd_RedSkull
13 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

What i suggest is to keep this server western front only but not only 1944-45 because it is indeed repetitive.

It will be definitely easier with Normandy map but maybe a try can be done until we get it

With the Hurricane and the Spit V, it should be possible to make some 1940 or 41 scenario on the Bodenplatte map.

I also suggest to add the C47 dropping some paratroopers on the Bridge too far map ;)

My opinion too. In future, with the planes from mid-war from BoN we can have many maps in channel in 1942/1943 or specific battles (Dieppe, Cerberus for example). Typhoons, Hurricanes, Spit Vb, P51 B/C, Razorbacks, Mosquitos and A-20 vs 109 G2/G4/G6, 190 A3 and the traditional axis bomber planes.

I think a relation 70/80% West Front maps 20/30% East maps ideal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

well, im just gonna say i think it should be 100% western front.  0% eastern front.  mid war to end of war.  get real, people.  at the end of the day,  all you see on your computer screen is your pilots view of YOUR cockpit.  use your imagination and pretend you are flying a spitfire mk 1 vs a me262.  cause thats about what the early war planeset is like when you are flying allied.  this early war stuff is just crap planes vs german superweapons.  oops, i mean overmodeled german superweapons.  ive grown tired of hearing the fanboys deny it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

E69_Qpassa_VR
2 hours ago, CIA_Luth said:

well, im just gonna say i think it should be 100% western front.  0% eastern front.  mid war to end of war.  get real, people.  at the end of the day,  all you see on your computer screen is your pilots view of YOUR cockpit.  use your imagination and pretend you are flying a spitfire mk 1 vs a me262.  cause thats about what the early war planeset is like when you are flying allied.  this early war stuff is just crap planes vs german superweapons.  oops, i mean overmodeled german superweapons.  ive grown tired of hearing the fanboys deny it. 

Russian devs usually overmodel german planes 😆, I like the velikie luki map, it's something different and you had more players than TAW, that's for a reason.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your input, everyone. The admin team has decided to continue to include at least some mid war maps, but with the majority being the usual late war Bodenplatte stuff. I'll write a randomizer so that in addition to shuffled missions each day, a handful of mid war maps will be thrown in for variety. You won't be guaranteed to find Combat Box running a late war map with all the American Iron, but it will be quite likely. Similarly, for those of us who want to fly some of the older stuff but with the Combat Box style of mission making, we'll be able to do that from time to time too.

Give us a week to see how it pans out, please. Feedback always welcome and appreciated.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 6

A bit off the hot topic and random, but is it frowned upon to bail out on CB? I have always bailed out if possible (only after I have taken serious damage and if I can't rtb), but I have noticed that it's rare that pilots bail out on me. I figure if this isn't kosher I should probably stop doing it😁

ACG_Smokejumper
On 11/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, Alonzo said:

We're not sure. This is a bit of an experiment. We're going to listen to feedback and watch player counts and stuff like that.

I like them a lot. The Leli Luki one is great. I love the forward airfields and the high intensity. I hope you keep these new maps in rotation.

15 hours ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

Hiya, just curious about the new stamina indicator. Is there no servers that are using it? Was just trying combat box and it did not show the indicator of how tired my pilot was. Didn't seem to show on other servers either so curious what the deal with it is online.

How hard you are breathing. When you stop panting you're good to go.

5 hours ago, TheWarsimmer said:

A bit off the hot topic and random, but is it frowned upon to bail out on CB? I have always bailed out if possible (only after I have taken serious damage and if I can't rtb), but I have noticed that it's rare that pilots bail out on me. I figure if this isn't kosher I should probably stop doing it😁

Bail out if you need to. It´s just pretty difficult so that might be why you´re not seeing it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

I like them a lot. The Leli Luki one is great. I love the forward airfields and the high intensity. I hope you keep these new maps in rotation.

@Alonzo

I just enjoyed this beautiful map yesterday evening and it was great! Hope you keep it in your collection. Thank you for your effort.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Give us a week to see how it pans out, please. Feedback always welcome and appreciated.

Still a LOT of cloud quite often, not good for VR framerates.

Still my fav' server though.

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

I agree that an earlier western scenario would be nice to mix it up a bit - P40, Hurricane, Spit V, maybe razorback P47 vs 109E, 109F, early G, maybe early 190A. Limit the plane quantity as to the "best" of the bunch being offered, with greater quantity of the earlier planes in the set. When more BoN planes arrive, perhaps they can be added. The BoN map would probably be the best venue, but maybe the western edge of the BoBp map could be used for now. I don't see it as a substitute for late war or for the eastern front stuff, just something to mix it up a bit. I think the server should freely mix up all of those settings in the mission rotation.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

StaB/Tomio_VR***
On 11/8/2020 at 7:03 AM, H_Stiglitz said:

Issue with that is that a G6 is a collector plane and not too many have it. It‘s not exactly a must have.

Of course, G2 and G4 will be available as well in a 1943 scenario. I just mentionned the best version

• Upvote 1