Jump to content

Combat Box by Red Flight


Alonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

[FAC]Ghost129er

Played Combat BoX For the first time and it was pretty cool, just wanted to say a pretty nice experience (first time flying full expert controls since I don't have a HOTAS quarant) but it was pretty cool. Thanks to the Luftwaffles (109/idk) that saved me (110) that was getting picked on by a P51, who went straight into the ground (kek); made it back to base with one engine, - feels good.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

III/JG52_Al-Azraq

I just wanted to congratulate the admins for this magnificent server. The missions are great, server is very stable, and the last addition of SRS and the radio calls is just superb. Suddenly the battlefield feels alive and immersive.

 

Keep up the good work guys!

 

PD: I'm always hanging out in SRS, please people, join!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, III/JG52_Al-Azraq said:

PD: I'm always hanging out in SRS, please people, join!

Actually, the SRS don't got his deserved success. Hopeness in a short future...
A friend said to me yesterday, that a big update of SRS will be soon available. What improvements are these, where can I get the info?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

III/JG52_Al-Azraq
1 hour ago, Otto_bann said:

Actually, the SRS don't got his deserved success. Hopeness in a short future...
A friend said to me yesterday, that a big update of SRS will be soon available. What improvements are these, where can I get the info?

 

Yeah, and the same happens in DCS where it is more popular and has been in use for much longer. Of course in DCS it is way more used but still sometimes nobody is talking however, it just takes 1 - 2 players starting to speak so the rest starts talking too. Yesterday I was communicating my squad take offs, landings, and targets. Eventually someone started to talk (it was a guy with french accent) and then others followed.

 

Regarding the update, I have no clue. I just hope to have an overlay as the one in DCS as it is very small and it doesn't obstruct the view at all. This is the only feature I really need right now. Maybe making the installation a bit easier (it is really easy I know, but that line you have to write in a file turns off more people than you would think) would be nice as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mordrac said:

We will soon test a german CBRadio for axis coalition. It is more immersive, but a lot of people won't understand it. Here's a poll which language you would prefer for axis coalition CBRadio.

 

http://www.strawpoll.me/20856804

 

German CB Radio for axis coalition can add to the immersion for German speaking pilots but to a lot of us is going to be useless (myself included)... 😵

 

~S~

Edited by JG27_M-C
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JG27_M-C said:

 

German CB Radio for axis coalition can add to the immersion for German speaking pilots but to a lot of us is going to be useless (myself included)... 😵

 

~S~

For those of us who only know how to swear a bit in German it might sound like

*blah blah blah sh** blah blah blah F******  schweinehunds blah blah blah*

 

So entertaining, at least.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

=TBAS=Sshadow14

The SRS Coalition Security Needs to be Setup based upon the ingame team selection even when dead  Regardless of how any other games or sims do it, as that is not how IL2 Works Regardless if DCS or ARMA Does so only dead or spectators can talk to each other..

(if i land back at home i can run to tower and grab MIC and tell wingman who on 20km final to hurry up as next mission for target X leaves in x mins. )

Currently ALL Dead Players from Both Team Share the same "DEAD CHANNEL - Specator" 
So its 100% impossible to plan mission in spectator channel. 

Its impossible to coordinate a mission or attack plan if everybody not already sat in plane (as you sharing spectator channel with enemy Team). 
There is no way to have secure Private Pre flight briefing with only your team or Squadron  without everyone spawning into a random plane to get comms
Then leave that plan when mission figured out Or you must use ingame chat and type out mission plan which can be many lines of info.
Or Use Discord channels between every flight. 

I mean its great if you have no friends and only fly alone but listen in. 

Also i think it speak to the Community in IL-2 and C-box that even if you accidently transmit mission plan on spectator channel.
Instead of ignoring it and intentionally flying on other end of map they exploit your mistake.


 

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

The SRS Coalition Security Needs to be Setup based upon the ingame team selection even when dead  ...

 

18 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Riksen said:

Thats why I proposed the following but @ciribob considered my suggestion too complicated.

 

https://imgur.com/a/Z0rxrFc

 

I wonder if it's possible to put a time delay on switching sides in SRS (similar to the delay possible in DServer). That way we could have all channels for a side open to everyone on that side, but not accessible to spies, unless they are prepared to wait, let's say, 10 or 15 minutes.

 

I think the big problem is with people who (understandably) do not realize that once they pick a side, but before they spawn in, the spectator radio is still open to both sides. It would be more intuitive for people to get radio security from the moment they pick a side.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41Sqn_Riksen
7 minutes ago, JimTM said:

 

 

I wonder if it's possible to put a time delay on switching sides in SRS (similar to the delay possible in DServer). That way we could have all channels for a side open to everyone on that side, but not accessible to spies, unless they are prepared to wait, let's say, 10 or 15 minutes.

 

I think the big problem is with people who (understandably) do not realize that once they pick a side, but before they spawn in, the spectator radio is still open to both sides. It would be more intuitive for people to get radio security from the moment they pick a side.

 

There would not be a need because you can do the delay with the Dserver. So if the server has a 120 sec delay to spawn in the opposite side this would also mean a 120 sec delay to join the other side channel in SRS as per my suggestion above and therefore no spying. Having seperate delays for the SRS and the Dserver would potentially allow people joining the radio too early and before they actually switched sides in the game OR having a pilot join a side but still being stuck hearing the radio of his previous team if the delays are different. IMHO, and as per my image above, having SRS be in sync with the DServer delay would basically avoid all those issues and ensure timings are the same.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Riksen said:

 

There would not be a need because you can do the delay with the Dserver. So if the server has a 120 sec delay to spawn in the opposite side this would also mean a 120 sec delay to join the other side channel in SRS as per my suggestion above and therefore no spying. Having seperate delays for the SRS and the Dserver would potentially allow people joining the radio too early and before they actually switched sides in the game OR having a pilot join a side but still being stuck hearing the radio of his previous team if the delays are different. IMHO, and as per my image above, having SRS be in sync with the DServer delay would basically avoid all those issues and ensure timings are the same.

 

That makes sense, thanks. My only change would be to have just Allied and Axis radios, with channels open to everyone on a side.

Edited by JimTM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41Sqn_Riksen
6 minutes ago, JimTM said:

 

That makes sense, thanks. My only change would be to have just Allied and Axis radios, with channels open to everyone on a side.

 

Thank you Jim. But isn't it keeping just Allied and Axis channels what we actually have right now? Sorry I may not have understood your point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Riksen said:

 

Thank you Jim. But isn't it keeping just Allied and Axis channels what we actually have right now? Sorry I may not have understood your point.

 

Sorry, I was referring to the change in your plan. My suggestion is just to change the existing setup to allow everyone on a side (flying or not) to communicate securely with everyone else on a side.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41Sqn_Riksen
8 minutes ago, JimTM said:

 

Sorry, I was referring to the change in your plan. My suggestion is just to change the existing setup to allow everyone on a side (flying or not) to communicate securely with everyone else on a side.

 

Oh I see. Understood now lol. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimTM said:

 

 

I wonder if it's possible to put a time delay on switching sides in SRS (similar to the delay possible in DServer). That way we could have all channels for a side open to everyone on that side, but not accessible to spies, unless they are prepared to wait, let's say, 10 or 15 minutes.

 

I think the big problem is with people who (understandably) do not realize that once they pick a side, but before they spawn in, the spectator radio is still open to both sides. It would be more intuitive for people to get radio security from the moment they pick a side.

I only get coalition information when you're in an aircraft, not when you select an airfield, only when you're physical in it.

 

Currently you are red or blue when in an aircraft, when you're not I don't get any coalition, so you end up in spectators after 20 seconds or so of no coalition.

 

Its not possible to do much more then this, hence the setup being as it is. It can't really change much, as I don't have any further info to work from. Either you're in a plane, or you're not and you're a spectator.

 

This is also how it is in DCS, arma and project reality so has a good precedent too.

 

Don't plan until you're in a plane - commiserate with other spectators when you're not :)

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ciribob said:

I only get coalition information when you're in an aircraft, not when you select an airfield, only when you're physical in it.

...

 

Thanks for the explanation (and SRS) ciribob. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, III/JG52_Al-Azraq said:

Regarding the update, I have no clue. I just hope to have an overlay as the one in DCS as it is very small and it doesn't obstruct the view at all. This is the only feature I really need right now. Maybe making the installation a bit easier (it is really easy I know, but that line you have to write in a file turns off more people than you would think) would be nice as well.

 

You don't have to write the file anymore

 

Literally just run the autoupdater and point it at the right folder, and it'll sort everything for you automatically

 

Finally, if you do like SRS and want to support its development, please do use the Patreon to do so. https://www.patreon.com/ciribob

 

SRS is a lot of work to build, maintain and support, especially now it's in two games :)

Edited by ciribob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ciribob said:

I only get coalition information when you're in an aircraft, not when you select an airfield, only when you're physical in it.

 

Currently you are red or blue when in an aircraft, when you're not I don't get any coalition, so you end up in spectators after 20 seconds or so of no coalition.

 

Its not possible to do much more then this, hence the setup being as it is. It can't really change much, as I don't have any further info to work from. Either you're in a plane, or you're not and you're a spectator.

 

I'd start from the assumption that a coalition change during a running mission is a rare event, but that dying is less so (especially if you're a scrub like me). So if you're seeing someone go neutral -> blue -> neutral -> blue that's basically normal and they could in theory be kept in the blue channels throughout. It's only when you see someone go neutral -> blue -> neutral -> red that you need to actually kick them out of the blue channels. Personally I think that would be reasonably understandable from a player perspective and not open to abuse any worse than the current "click the other side of the map to see where people are spawning" thing (which incurs a server-configurable time penalty anyhow).

 

I understand the feedback about other games, but we've got persistent player feedback here that SRS is less useful because of the kick back to neutral. It's explainable, yes, but players are likely to use this as a reason to remain on Discord where they don't get put in a neutral channel and can plan their next mission with compatriots while dead. Their squad mates might be on a 5 minute (or more) flight home. Most people won't want to sit silently for that amount of time, and it seems equally artificial to spawn an aircraft you have no intention of using just so you can talk to the rest of your mates who are still alive. So for me, I'd welcome either no kick back to neutral, or a much longer timer on it.

 

Of course, it's easy for me to say this stuff, I'm not the one maintaining two codebases! (Well, not for SRS at least... 😉 )

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

 So for me, I'd welcome either no kick back to neutral, or a much longer timer on it.

 

Generally I try to add as many server controls as possible so admins can do what they want, as they know better than me! Adding a slider server side for increasing the timer before being pushed to Spectators is easy enough. It wouldn't be forever but something like 30 seconds to 5 minutes should do the trick. This would only be for moving to Spectators, if I see a red or blue coalition it would be instant (i.e slotting into a aircraft)

 

It will require everyone to update for the setting to take effect but with the autoupdater that's fine, as long as people don't ignore it 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ciribob said:

Generally I try to add as many server controls as possible so admins can do what they want, as they know better than me! Adding a slider server side for increasing the timer before being pushed to Spectators is easy enough. It wouldn't be forever but something like 30 seconds to 5 minutes should do the trick. This would only be for moving to Spectators, if I see a red or blue coalition it would be instant (i.e slotting into a aircraft).

 

I think that would be an excellent solution. I think your instinct to make stuff a server policy setting is a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[APAF]VR_Spartan85

Loving the server!  Question, is there refuelling, repair, and rearm at the airfields?  If so how does it work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

Loving the server!  Question, is there refuelling, repair, and rearm at the airfields?  If so how does it work?

 

On some airfields you will have a location marked with a yellow/green smoke station. You need to stop engine and fully park your airplane close to that smoke mark. Then hit Refuel hotkey, then Rearm hotkey and finally the Reload guns hotkey. That's about it!

~S~

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[APAF]VR_Spartan85
1 hour ago, JG27_M-C said:

 

On some airfields you will have a location marked with a yellow/green smoke station. You need to stop engine and fully park your airplane close to that smoke mark. Then hit Refuel hotkey, then Rearm hotkey and finally the Reload guns hotkey. That's about it!

~S~

Awesome thanks!  I always feel a bit disconnected grabbing a new plane... as boring as it is, in dcs just chilling discussing where to go next, and seeing how long you can hold on to one plane is one of my favourite aspects of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

Awesome thanks!  I always feel a bit disconnected grabbing a new plane... as boring as it is, in dcs just chilling discussing where to go next, and seeing how long you can hold on to one plane is one of my favourite aspects of the game.

AFAIK, be aware that for earning full sortie points (stats) it is always better to land on an active (own side) airfield.

~S~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[APAF]VR_Spartan85

I’m not to worried about points... more the experience.   The point following is more a bonus... :)

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mitchells men mission

Is it right to assume that the heavy bombers are launched only when there are above a certain numbers of players ? if so what is that minimum  ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, adler_1 said:

Mitchells men mission

Is it right to assume that the heavy bombers are launched only when there are above a certain numbers of players ? if so what is that minimum  ?

 

I think it's something like 20 or more players.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

=TBAS=Sshadow14

There is already a 30Sec auto kick to spectator time limit. 

For SRS it could be increased to 5-10 mins. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bilbo_Baggins

See a second CombatBox server with 42 guys in it right now, but password protected? What's going on here?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is the Friday Night Flights event. You have to preregister for it and stuff like that. From what I understand it is somewhat more structured and organized than the common server.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56RAF_phoenix56

Recon proposal

I wonder if it would be possible to reveal (and make attackable) the Recon targets after the recon 'plane has landed safely?

I think it would add a lot of realism and change the tempo of the map.

 

56RAF_phoenix

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

Recon proposal

I wonder if it would be possible to reveal (and make attackable) the Recon targets after the recon 'plane has landed safely?

I think it would add a lot of realism and change the tempo of the map.

 

This is a great proposal, but unfortunately not directly possible with the current mechanics. In deathmatch mode planes are kind of just planes, you can't really track them individually. In co-op mode you could definitely do this, have a recon plane that is tracked through the act of doing reconnaissance and then needs to "land with the camera film intact".

 

Some folks have said the recon is a little too easy since you can fly really high. We could make it so you needed to fly lower. Would that be a good, bad, or indifferent change to make?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recall playing on a server with the WW1 plane set where a soft landing was required; I came down hard after one recon mission and I guess that broke the film or something. This was some time ago but I'm sure there were other people flying in opposition to us. Though in order to do the recon stuff on that server you had to have the recon equipment on the plane, it was an optional thing for the plane we used for the mission and that might make all the difference but I don't know.

 

One way you could spice up a recon effort is to remove the ammo from the planes that are supposed to be doing it. I know I wouldn't hang around a combat zone longer than I had to in a recon rigged plane if I couldn't fight back. This would also make a cover element mandatory. Adding a band of altitudes that the recon plane must be in to recon stuff would be interesting too. Nothing too low, say from 1500 to 1800 meters. High enough that the AA guns are too threatening but low enough to draw the attention and animosity of any hostile fighters in the area. Having to maintain a given altitude, watch out for fighters and staying close enough to the target should be enough to make recon adventurous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56RAF_phoenix56

Of course you're right Alonzo. Not being able to access spawned 'planes as objects is the greatest flaw in the scripting engine.

I'm really hoping the delay in the development of the Air Marshal function is because they might have had to add such functionality.

But I presume servers (like Finnish, or Coconut as was) detect Supply 'planes landing through parsing the log?

 

On altitude of the recon, I'd make it consistent with the cloud base.

 

Potentially, you could add a delay of a typical flight time to the nearest coalition base, but that's rather artificial.

 

Thanks for your excellent server.

 

56RAF_phoenix

Edited by 56RAF_phoenix56
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banning 

When shooting down a friendly how long is the ban for ? when logging in it says banned for :  followed by  numbers which make no sense . can you pls clarify .

Edited by adler_1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, adler_1 said:

Banning 

When shooting down a friendly how long is the ban for ? when logging in it says banned for :  followed by  numbers which make no sense . can you pls clarify .

7 days from what I can see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.610_Smokejumper

I have a complaint.

 

One of the Allied SRS voices sounds Australian. It's ruining muh immersion.

 

When I think I'm supposed to be hearing a British accent and it sounds Australian it pulls me out of the moment... Does this pom have a weird accent or is he just aussie?

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

When I think I'm supposed to be hearing a British accent and it sounds Australian it pulls me out of the moment... Does this pom have a weird accent or is he just aussie?

Standby for a shock but there were more than just Brits in the RAF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.610_Smokejumper
3 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Standby for a shock but there were more than just Brits in the RAF.

 It's tongue in cheek mate.

 

I found an Australian 1927 3 pence coin wedged into the floorboards of a pub i lived/worked in the Cotswalds near Brize Norton. Likely wedged there by bomber crew. I also married an Aussie bird and have an Australian passport.

 

Still, might as well have Canadians on the SRS channel and get the whole commonwealth.

 

I'm just poking fun at the one weird accent that I can't tell if pom or aussie.

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

 It's tongue in cheek mate.  

Sorry Smokejumper - went over my head! 👍

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...