Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

Posted (edited)

Combat Box is focused on late-war, historically-inspired scenarios including BoBP plane sets. Each map has been meticulously hand-crafted including realistic airfields, challenging targets, spectacular effects and strategic mechanics such as radar zones. The server is hosted in North America with a good ping to Europe.

If you'd like to contact us about the server, either reply to this thread or join our Discord at https://discord.gg/Rcjj33E

View your stats at combatbox.net

The following maps are available with more in future:

The Crimean Offensive, Spring 1944. After a long winter the Germans find themselves increasingly isolated in the Crimea, having been driven back by the Russians the previous Autumn. Keeping a foothold in the region is important because losing Crimea would allow Soviet attacks on Romanian oilfields, weakening the Axis position. The Soviets, aided by the Allies, prepare to cross the Kerch Strait and attack German positions.

Crimea-3-1k.jpg.37e19f6b899bd9554804bef022459b90.jpg

D-Day, June 1944. The Allies launch the largest invasion in the history of war, but one antagonist was conspicuously absent: the German Luftwaffe. But what if they had shown up that day? Join either the Allies or the Germans as multiple landing fleets approach Normandy to secure the beaches. Targets include fleets, ground convoys, airfields, ports and railways.

d-day-promo-1k.jpg.5c2a68545ad45df9163d11500d4180c8.jpg

Operation Frantic, June 1944. Operating from bases in southern Italy, American aircraft have begun shuttle bombing missions against Nazi Germany. In each 'shuttle' bombers take off from Italian bases, attack targets in Germany, then land in Soviet Russia. Targets for both sides include bridges, tanks, marshalling yards for the rail system, and synthetic oil production facilities.

frantic-promo-1k.jpg.93fbe63f68ffd2282362c896531245fb.jpg

Battle for Kalinin, August 1944. Fictional late-war scenario. What if Enigma was never broken? The Germans likely would still have lost the war, but it would have taken much longer. In this scenario Germany and Russia fight for control of the city of Kalinin. Targets include a gunboat convoy, train and railyard, tank divisions and strategic defence emplacements.

kalinin-promo-1k.jpg.29ee207f9e60f6737a98e18ef15b6977.jpg

Operation Paravane, Sep 1944. German Destroyer Tirpitz is the heaviest battleship ever built by a European navy. She has been threatening the safety of convoys between Great Britain and the Soviet Union and is a high priority target. The Allies have kept up a continued bombing campaign against the Tirpitz, causing the Germans to develop an artificial smoke-screen to protect the ship. Targets include the Tirpitz and German navy, as well as Allied airfields and infrastructure. Radar zones make up a strategic element to this map.

paravane-promo-1k.jpg.ec03a56b6ed5e4035fa468809c7511c5.jpg

Operation Eisenhammer, January 1944. An audacious German plan to destroy Russian power infrastructure, Eisenhammer pits the Germans against the Soviets on the snowy Moscow map. Featuring power-related targets, bomber bases, tank busting wide area combat zones, radar, and more.

eisenhammer-1.jpg.2ab38806de95ee83fc391ffaaeb94299.jpg

Each mission plays for 2½ hours, with airfield and target distances balanced to make the maps feel somewhere between “Wings” and “KOTA.” GPS is off. Some maps such as D-Day feature air starts or runway scrambles, but we have tried to maintain realism wherever possible.

Stats are available at combatbox.net, as well as an indication of the current map, time remaining, and next map. The map rotation is as follows:

• Operation Frantic (Moscow, Summer)
  • Crimean Offensive (Kuban, Spring)
  • Battle for Kalinin (Moscow, Summer)
  • Operation Paravane (Kuban, Autumn)
  • Operation Eisenhammer (Moscow, Winter)
  • Stalingrad Scramble (Stalingrad, Winter)

Feedback is appreciated. If you find a problem, or have a suggestion please let us know here in this thread, or join our Discord: https://discord.gg/Rcjj33E

Many thanks to the whole of Red Flight for their support during mission design, map making, and testing. Additionally, we’d like to thank the map making and mission building community for their help and support. We are also especially grateful to our generous donors who enabled us to purchase lightning-fast server hardware: Alonzo, Atomic_359, Blake, Haluter, HE187, IngegnerTommy, Jakerthesnak, JG1 Vonrd, Jim, Jon, Jorge HFJ, Mewt, Mordrac, Nabuli0, Siggi, Strat, Talon, The Nines, Tim and VA_SDRiEMLiNE.

Here are a few more screenshots to whet your appetite. See you on Combat Box!

Spoiler

z-misc-1k.jpg.3209f7831aee29b89a01aeb029a16890.jpg

z-misc-2-1k.jpg.a51739f43d47e1745f63555a46530f8f.jpg

z-misc-3-1k.jpg.1b3192a20c5dd08074318f66964ab540.jpg

z-misc-4-1k.jpg.62311b964dfbb7bcce82a55fc14a06cc.jpg

Edited by Alonzo
Added map rotation.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 10

Excited to finally see Combat Box will launch in just a few days!

Based on the hard work and many hours you put into the maps I'm sure it will soon become one of the top servers! 😁

This server looks great. Thank you. Can't wait to try it this weekend.

Are the plane sets going to be strictly BoBP or will there be some other late war aircraft? I don't have BoBP yet but the server sounds great!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Are the plane sets going to be strictly BoBP or will there be some other late war aircraft? I don't have BoBP yet but the server sounds great!

Great question. Our intent is to have more-or-less historical plane sets, but to include a few of the older Stalingrad / Kuban planes so that people without BoBP can still fly. So for example there might be 60 of the late-war aircraft available in each airfield, and 10 of an older model. Those with BoBP will probably want to fly late-war planes as they are higher performance than the older planes, but people with Stalingrad or Kuban can still participate. As with most servers if you return a plane to a friendly airfield it will be repaired and go back into the pool of available aircraft.

If you notice a map that you can't play due to only owning Stalingrad please let me know here or on the Discord, and we'll look into it.

Edited by Alonzo

Posted (edited)

Hi Graham.  Great work, you guys.  I'd like the password by private message.  We're doing a "bun fight" [split into opposing squads on a custom map] this Friday and our normal mission Sunday but I'll visit your server and maybe my Tangmere Pilots buddies will check it out on our Tuesday/Friday practice sessions at 3:00 p.m. CST [9 p.m. British Isles time].

Edited by TP_Sparky

2 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

Great work, you guys.  I'd like the password by private message.  We're doing a "bunfight" [split into opposing squads on a custom map] this Friday and our normal mission Sunday but I'll visit your server and maybe my Tangmere Pilots buddies will check it out on our Tuesday/Friday practice sessions at 3:00 p.m. CST [9 p.m. British Isles time].

Hi Sparky! The server will be launched and open to the public by early morning European time Friday, so it should be available for you to check out and for your Friday 9pm UK time sorties. Password is just there for the last day or so of focused testing and minor map updates. Feel free to chase us over on our Discord if you can't see the server or the password is still enabled on Friday. We're doing 2½ hour map rotations to begin with, cycling through in chronological order, 4 maps total.

Permanent Discord invite: https://discord.gg/Rcjj33E

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Any chance of a Teamspeak server?   Discord is only suited to chatting and shit-talking as everyone is forced to sit in the same channel listening t o people talk about TV and politics and what an ace pilot they are 🙂   Teamspeak lets us split into sub channels to only talk with people attacking the same target and then use whisper to talk to any other channel when needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sounds good

my Squad is interestered to have a look on Friday, we are based in germany

• Like 1

Congratulations.  Your new server looks very promising.  I hope to fly Combat Box very soon and I wish you the best of luck with the new server.

Shame you are using Discord for coms though :(

TS3 is much better.  I will never use Discord and most of the people I fly with don't use Discord either.

Thank you for putting up a new server :)

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

we only use discord, works fine.

15 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Right time to buy it 😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Great question. Our intent is to have more-or-less historical plane sets, but to include a few of the older Stalingrad / Kuban planes so that people without BoBP can still fly. So for example there might be 60 of the late-war aircraft available in each airfield, and 10 of an older model. Those with BoBP will probably want to fly late-war planes as they are higher performance than the older planes, but people with Stalingrad or Kuban can still participate. As with most servers if you return a plane to a friendly airfield it will be repaired and go back into the pool of available aircraft.

If you notice a map that you can't play due to only owning Stalingrad please let me know here or on the Discord, and we'll look into it.

Thanks Alonzo! I have everything except BoBP and some collector planes right now, and I'm planning to get it soon. In the meantime I will fly earlier war planes, I think you have a good idea there.

If its important to keep the plane set in theme for western front missions, including the P-39, Spit Mk. V, and the A-20 on the allied side would work for a lot of people IMO.

3 hours ago, II/JG11_Terzerole said:

we only use discord, works fine.

Right time to buy it 😉

God, don't I know it. Putting aside some money in the budget to get it soon.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, Alonzo said:

with airfield and target distances balanced to make the maps feel somewhere between “Wings” and “KOTA.” GPS is off.

Mucho perfecto :good:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Any chance of a Teamspeak server?   Discord is only suited to chatting and shit-talking as everyone is forced to sit in the same channel listening t o people talk about TV and politics and what an ace pilot they are 🙂   Teamspeak lets us split into sub channels to only talk with people attacking the same target and then use whisper to talk to any other channel when needed.

5 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Congratulations.  Your new server looks very promising.  I hope to fly Combat Box very soon and I wish you the best of luck with the new server.

Shame you are using Discord for coms though :(

TS3 is much better.  I will never use Discord and most of the people I fly with don't use Discord either.

I was unclear, sorry about that: the Discord is mostly for announcements, the map list, and for people to report bugs or give feedback. It's sort of a more interactive version of this forum thread. We're expecting that people will mostly continue to use their existing comms if they are in a squad. We only have a few voice channels set up right now. If there is demand for coordinated voice comms we can reconsider in future.

And the server is now live! Have fun!

We have noticed a problem with a certain logic path on the D-Day map, leading to a very quick ending under certain circumstances. This is not intended, so we'll be patching this map once we figure it out. Feel free to give feedback here or on the Discord for this issue or any other bugs, oopses, balance issues, and so on. We love feedback, all feedback is good feedback.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On current map (battle of Kalinin), why there is no Ju88 and Ju87? 

Positive feedback: it seems we don't need to destroy 99% of targets to finish an objective. Which is a great thing to me.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Positive feedback: it seems we don't need to destroy 99% of targets to finish an objective. Which is a great thing to me.

That's fantastic, no one likes hunting around for that last stupid dugout in a sea of wreckage.

12 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

That's fantastic, no one likes hunting around for that last stupid dugout in a sea of wreckage.

+1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

User experience and fun are the main drivers behind the mission design ☺️

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Bit of an oversight on the plane sets, we will take a look. There's also missing G14 on some maps where it's really needed.

On the targets, we have tried to make it fun to destroy, needing some amount of bombs but not too many. If a target is too easy, though, please let us know and we can tweak. It probably should not be possible to 'solo' a target in one sortie, for instance, but a group of (say) 4 aircraft left unmolested ought to be able to take out a medium sized objective.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Any chance 56RAF are going to pay for it?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, SCG_BOO said:

Any chance 56RAF are going to pay for it?

I'm afraid we're a bunch of aged skinflints who don't even pay for our own TS - it's kindly provided by an old squad member, Bunter.

The lack of Whisper is one of the reasons we don't use Discord.

56RAF_phoenix56

In fact I'll add to my comments about Discord (maybe at the risk of being banned).

The current company claims to be against adverts or selling user data, which is admirable. But some say was worth $1.65B last year.

So, as sure as eggs are eggs, the company will get sold to someone else who will monetise the user base in a less pleasant way.

Sorry to be so OT, and I hope the server goes well. I'm grateful for it.

56RAF_phoenix

Edited by 56RAF_phoenix56
spelling

I flied on D-day mission just now, 100% approved, very well-adapted Normandy scenario in Kuban. Good job!!!

• Like 3

Hi,

First nice works.

My comments:

- ping limiter cause problem from european player

- Too cloud for bomb run at altitude for the frantic mission

- How to land in the begin of dday mission for red player ?

Bye

Genius

Really good server, i liked it alot!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

I flied on D-day mission just now, 100% approved, very well-adapted Normandy scenario in Kuban. Good job!!!

5 hours ago, =IL2AU=Wanganui_Wildcat said:

Had a quick go tonight but kept getting kicked for ping. What sort of limit have you got set?

Ping limit is 400. Server is in Canada, we usually see 80 ping to the UK, 90-100 for mainland Europe. And of course 50 or less for players in North America. I have seen some players have ping "spikes" where their normal ping is ok but they get a spike and the server kicks them. I'm not sure what we can do about that. 400 is borderline unplayable.

4 hours ago, -IRRE-Genius said:

First nice works.

My comments:

- ping limiter cause problem from european player

- Too cloud for bomb run at altitude for the frantic mission

- How to land in the begin of dday mission for red player ?

We've had several reports of the ping issue. We are investigating. For cloud cover, the clouds are there to give a certain 'feel' for the mission. For example on D-Day the weather was overcast, and the low cloud gives a particular feel to the battles above the landing ships. We may tweak cloud cover as we go. It's also quite likely we will make an "alternate weather" version of each map -- for example changing the time of day and the weather for a mission, to give some variety.

For landing in D-Day, the Allies need to capture an airfield first. We are tweaking the time it takes for the landing boats to reach the shore, so the airfields can be captured faster. It is an unfortunate limit -- we would like to model airfields in England where the Allies would have taken off and landed, but we don't have enough map space. So for now this is the compromise. 

1 hour ago, II/JG11_Terzerole said:

Small problem: Squad registration not possible.
Link without function!

Thanks for the bug report. I found the problem. At the moment the website makes URLs for squads like this:

http://localhost:8999/en/squad/join/5/MjNE6eDWi2gNikxI5prXIIcjlfIYIe3eCvmJtMKD/

The mistake is localhost:8999 -- if you manually edit the URL and change this to il2na.com, the link will work, so for example:

http://il2na.com/en/squad/join/5/MjNE6eDWi2gNikxI5prXIIcjlfIYIe3eCvmJtMKD/

I will try to find a proper fix. For now please edit the URL before passing to your squad mates.

2 hours ago, II/JG11_Terzerole said:

Small problem: Squad registration not possible.
Link without function!

Thanks for the bug report. I found the problem. At the moment the website makes URLs for squads like this:

http://localhost:8999/en/squad/join/5/MjNE6eDWi2gNikxI5prXIIcjlfIYIe3eCvmJtMKD/

The mistake is localhost:8999 -- if you manually edit the URL and change this to il2na.com, the link will work, so for example:

http://il2na.com/en/squad/join/5/MjNE6eDWi2gNikxI5prXIIcjlfIYIe3eCvmJtMKD/

I will try to find a proper fix. For now please edit the URL before passing to your squad mates.

• Works fine, thank you.

For your DDay map, would it be possible to rotate it 90 deg and have the Allies attacking out of Crimea? I will grant that the Krech strait isn't all that wide but the spawn points in western Crimea would make a decent analog for England.

The only other note I have is maybe consider increasing the number of early model planes in the lat war scenarios. If this server really takes off I think you will find the few planes available to those without the Botenplate planes may be left out quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Disarray said:

The only other note I have is maybe consider increasing the number of early model planes in the lat war scenarios. If this server really takes off I think you will find the few planes available to those without the Botenplate planes may be left out quickly.

It's a Bodenplatte server - every other server available caters to those players but we are really aiming for a balanced experience with the new aircraft. Those players aren't left out completely but realistically they will need to get Bodenplatte if they want to enjoy flying on a Bodenplatte server.

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

It's a Bodenplatte server - every other server available caters to those players but we are really aiming for a balanced experience with the new aircraft. Those players aren't left out completely but realistically they will need to get Bodenplatte if they want to enjoy flying on a Bodenplatte server.

In other words,  " The G14, K4, and D9 beatings will continue until P51 morale improves." :tease:  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

" The G14, K4, and D9 beatings will continue until P51 morale improves." 

The K-4 isn't really present yet as we're holding back on 1945 missions until the Allies get some faster planes. The D-9 is a great ship and in service from October so yeah, watch your back for it, but the P-47 and Spit IXe are perfectly capable of dealing with the June 1944 G-14s and the even earlier A-8s.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Disarray said:

Currently there are low numbers of the older airplanes, but with a fairly rapid replenishment rate (4 per hour or better). If you find yourself in a situation with no available aircraft, please screenshot the map for me and if possible include the mission timer, and we can take a look at it. We certainly don't intend to leave anyone out.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The K-4 isn't really present yet as we're holding back on 1945 missions until the Allies get some faster planes. The D-9 is a great ship and in service from October so yeah, watch your back for it, but the P-47 and Spit IXe are perfectly capable of dealing with the June 1944 G-14s and the even earlier A-8s.

Roger that.  It's just a bit sad that the P47's strongest trait, the zoom climb from a hard dive, is lacking in this game.  The reality was that the only thing that could catch it in a direct-follow pursuit during a max-speed boom and zoom was the 262.