Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

4 hours ago, ITAF_Rani said:

Ho Alonzo..  now that P38 and B 25 are avialable..this idea could be developed?

All you need is a volcano model for Etna.

Really enjoying the Bridge too far map, especially as I was in Arnhem for the recent 75th anniversary of the battle and took the chance to drive the route XXX Corps took up through the American drop zones.

As for the plane set, I think it's very good but....... ;)

For the allies I would remove bombs from the Tempest, that was the Spitfire's and Typhoons job, I know we don't have Tiffie's. (one day hopefully).

For Axis, some 190D-9's as they flew in September '44.

Just an observation.

Cheers

Witch

• Upvote 2

A quick question.

The rules state... 

Strafing enemy players on the ground is not allowed. While airfields should not be considered "safe", being shot while your engine spools up is not fun. Once players are "wheels up" they are valid targets.

Does this include landed/landing planes on the ground, which are obviously "wheels down"?

I was surprised to be shot up, and killed, while I was still rolling down the runway. I'm not mentioning the pilot's name, I just want to know your opinion.

Thanks

Witch

9 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

A quick question.

The rules state... 

Strafing enemy players on the ground is not allowed. While airfields should not be considered "safe", being shot while your engine spools up is not fun. Once players are "wheels up" they are valid targets.

Does this include landed/landing planes on the ground, which are obviously "wheels down"?

I was surprised to be shot up, and killed, while I was still rolling down the runway. I'm not mentioning the pilot's name, I just want to know your opinion.

Thanks

Witch

It's not about opinion, it is against the rules. If you were killed while on ground, you should report the player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TeufelHunden said:

I was straffed on the ground less than a minute of spawning into my plane while my engines were not running by =VARP=Tvrdi

image.thumb.png.3a25edde918cb890efddf251d308908f.png if you look at the time stamps on this you will see I spawn in and then die like within seconds....

@=VARP=Tvrdi if I see this again you can expect to be banned.

4 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

A quick question.

The rules state... 

Thanks

Witch

Wheels on ground are not to be engaged, you can go ahead and report.

5 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

For Axis, some 190D-9's as they flew in September '44.

Only two had been constructed at the time of the mission 😅

5 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

For the allies I would remove bombs from the Tempest, that was the Spitfire's and Typhoons job

I thought I remembered Clostermann talking about doing a lot of bombing missions in his Tempest.  Was that a different time period or I am getting confused with his Spitfire period?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

9 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

For the allies I would remove bombs from the Tempest, that was the Spitfire's and Typhoons job, I know we don't have Tiffie's. (one day hopefully).

Not a bad idea, especially as the weather change seems to have lead to some Allied victories recently!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Talon_ said:

My apologies, yes I see that III/JG54 and JG26 didn't get them till November!

- - - 

From "The Typhoon & Tempest Story" - Chris Thomas & Christopher Shores. page 136, the text is about operations during the very end of April '45 and the last days of the war during May.

"33 Squadron became the first and only Tempest unit to carry pair of 500lb bombs in action, but it was too late for this to become standard practice."

And from "2nd Tactical Air Force", by the same authors. Volume 3, page 536.

"The only Tempest unit to employ external stores, other than 45 gallon tanks, was 33 Squadron which, after a few days practice, carried out two dive-bombing operations on 3 and 4 May 1945. 500 lb bombs were dropped on railway yards at Varel and buildings at Ardorf.

Witch

Edited by Black-Witch

14 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I thought I remembered Clostermann talking about doing a lot of bombing missions in his Tempest.  Was that a different time period or I am getting confused with his Spitfire period?

That would have to have been in Spitfires, see above :)

Witch

Edited by Black-Witch
  • Thanks 1

Just did some missions on this server! Brilliant! Thanks so much @Alonzo for providing this server. What a nice change to my usual playground WoL, where relaxed madness is the rule.

After some nice, unusual safe sorties (thanks @SCG_Riksen & Co. for the company!), I shut down the engine.. and behold...

cb.jpg

...the next duo of Mustangs taking off in formation. Amazing sound! Amazing sight! Makes one tempted just to stay in cockpit and contine watching the airshow with P-38's lining up.

We have come a long way since "the good old days". @Jason_Williams, you and your team just rock! :good:

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, TeufelHunden said:

I was straffed on the ground less than a minute of spawning into my plane while my engines were not running by =VARP=Tvrdi

image.thumb.png.3a25edde918cb890efddf251d308908f.png if you look at the time stamps on this you will see I spawn in and then die like within seconds....

Quite funny to see that you can report what you do yourself teufelhunden...

On Oct.6, you killed me on the ground after that i landed a heavily damaged 262 resulting in losing a precious aircraft

Proof below

http://combatbox.net/en/sortie/log/112286/?tour=14

teufelhunden.jpg

Edited by StaB/Tomio_VR***
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Talon_ said:

@=VARP=Tvrdi if I see this again you can expect to be banned.

Wheels on ground are not to be engaged, you can go ahead and report.

I thought your plane was with engine ON as the guy next to you started rolling straigth away (told you that via chat). BTW, AA got me very soon. Its up to mission makers to add proper AA to airfields.

Also I appologized to you via chat and all I got is insults, swearing of worst kind (this, let alone is subject for ban). I thought you are some kind of kid. You also joked afterwards so I thought we are OK but it seams you are a.....

And dont threaten me on forums you can get ban for that here. I will report you now buddy.

And as we see now you did the same thing not once and without an appology.

BTW there isnt a single server admin which will ban user who did it once, not on purpose and appologized afterwards. Also you cant ban someone, only admin.

goodbye

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

52 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

I thought your plane was with engine ON as the guy next to you started rolling straigth away (told you that via chat). BTW, AA got me very soon. Its up to mission makers to add proper AA to airfields.

Also I appologized to you via chat and all I got is insults, swearing of worst kind (this, let alone is subject for ban). I thought you are some kind of kid. You also joked afterwards so I thought we are OK but it seams you are a.....

And dont threaten me on forums you can get ban for that here. I will report you now buddy.

And as we see now you did the same thing not once and without an appology.

BTW there isnt a single server admin which will ban user who did it once, not on purpose and appologized afterwards. Also you cant ban someone, only admin.

goodbye

1. I'm not the guy you shot

2. I'm admin 😉

Screenshot_20191020-205550.png

2 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

I'd love to add 'proper' AA to airfields, but unfortunately we can't add 300 guns to each field as there would have been in real life. On Combat Box there's nothing useful to be gained from killing players while they are on the ground, so it's against our rules. If someone is on the ground, even if they are engine on and taxiing, they are safe. Once they take off (or if they are on landing approach) they are a valid target. We have a chat bot that reminds people of this rule every 30 minutes, and when we get a report of someone killing players at airfields we try to contact them to let them know about the rule. If someone persists in the behavior then they will no longer be welcome on the server.

We've seen players get creative with this rule, loitering overhead, baiting AA and swooping in on players who are in a low energy state. We basically have no problem with that -- pilots get plenty of notification that there is an enemy near the airfield, and they should stay alert (or call for help). But being killed while your engine spools up is no fun, which is why we have the "don't kill players who are on the ground" rule. Hopefully that's clear, as well as our reasoning behind it. 

8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'd love to add 'proper' AA to airfields, but unfortunately we can't add 300 guns to each field as there would have been in real life.

This. Even having "High" skill AA isn't good enough to simulate this.

58 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

This. Even having "High" skill AA isn't good enough to simulate this.

Why? Airfield attacks were the rule, not the exception. For good reason they counted aircraft shot up at airfields as well (but ususally counted them in a separate list) because it was a dangerous hobby. Yet it was possible. What you needed to do is a surprise attack.

What they had as defensive positions are roughly 1 - 2 heavy gun positions and a good dozen light gun positions. See here, for instance. Flak guns and crews are a limited comodity. You only escalate these numbers if there is something particular about your airfield, like a jet approach to cover or if has special use for transports, party celebrities or whatever. But on average, a dozen guns is what you can expect. If they are expecting you, then you have a problem. If you catch them of guard, then the airfield is game.

But for my part, I consider this a game and unlike in real life, shooting aircraft on the ground while they are atarting their engines is inconsequancial for the missions and hence rather unsportmanslike conduct and should be frowned upon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

dozen guns

Dozen guns times, let's say, eight airfields, and you already have 96 AAA pieces solely for airfields. That is taking a sizeable chunk of the total possible number of AI objects in a mission.

IMHO, adding a big number of AAA guns on an airfield should be combined by that airfield being a mission objective. Speaking of which, wasn't that what was done in Operation Bodenplatte?

12 hours ago, Talon_ said:

1. I'm not the guy you shot

2. I'm admin 😉

But now you know what really happened. And that this (for what accuses me) guy is doing this regulary. BTW, he was throwing the worst insults over the public chat for few mins. In general the swearing was almost all the time in chat on combatbox. At least that day it was.

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'd love to add 'proper' AA to airfields, but unfortunately we can't add 300 guns to each field as there would have been in real life. On Combat Box there's nothing useful to be gained from killing players while they are on the ground, so it's against our rules. If someone is on the ground, even if they are engine on and taxiing, they are safe. Once they take off (or if they are on landing approach) they are a valid target. We have a chat bot that reminds people of this rule every 30 minutes, and when we get a report of someone killing players at airfields we try to contact them to let them know about the rule. If someone persists in the behavior then they will no longer be welcome on the server.

I wasnt persisting on anything. I did it once and appologized. I didnt read the rules. We in VARP follow the server rules and the "unwritten" rules of chivarly , online. I have more than 25 yrs of simming experience.......

But tell me, is it allowed to bomb parked and taxiing planes?

On 10/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, TeufelHunden said:

You forgot to mention It was only once and I applogized and you forgot to mention you was insulting me with worst insults over the public chat which alone should be enough for perma ban. The insults lasted for few minutes over the public chat and you was reported to do the same vulching over and over again in the past.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Dozen guns times, let's say, eight airfields, and you already have 96 AAA pieces solely for airfields. That is taking a sizeable chunk of the total possible number of AI objects in a mission.

IMHO, adding a big number of AAA guns on an airfield should be combined by that airfield being a mission objective. Speaking of which, wasn't that what was done in Operation Bodenplatte?

You have even more guns around troop concentrations, strategic objectives, flak traps, etc. It would be way too many to place on the whole map. So I guess I misunderstood you in what you guys were referring to with "300 or so" guns.

But as much as Bodenplatte is concerned, it is actually almost the opposite. You had German Flak wrecking havoc to their own fighters while on many Allied airfields, they ran out of ammo rather quickly and had the ranks withness the unmolested and on average abysmal shooting of the Lufties.

Thus, what we should have is a strong tendency of your own flak shooting you too if they are nervous. One of the better flak hits Clostermann received was by American Bofors. Made him collect some souvenirs in his leg.

So is bombing spawned & taxiing aircraft allowed?   Personally I would allow it as, unlike shooting,  it is not something an enemy can do repeatedly over a long period.  Also it can be tricky for an attacker to to know when he starts his attack run whether you are just taxiing or making an emergency take-off across the field to attack the bombers and will be off the ground by the time the attacker arrives.    He might also drop a large bomb on an AA emplacement and not intend to catch someone in the blast.  You could not see that from the stats as even kill on a plane and no ground targets could just be terrible bombing.
In an ideal world I would say that anyone moving is fair game but that is not easy to see from the stats.

3 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

I wasnt persisting on anything. I did it once and appologized. I didnt read the rules. We in VARP follow the server rules and the "unwritten" rules of chivarly , online. I have more than 25 yrs of simming experience.......

I think you forgot to read the one of the "unwritten rules" about taxiing prior to take-off and to not just raming the thorttle foward from parking position. VARP has always been a great squadron that puts imerssion and simulation above arcade behaviours since SEOW times so you can image my surprise when I see you in my recorded track acting like someone from War Thunder. I cannot prove it anymore because the track no longer shows the name on the planes so you can call me a liar if you want but you know what I'm talking about. Maybe consider re-reading those rules again?

I must sincerely apologize to @gx007 who I shot down last night in a friendly fire incident. I dove on an ongoing dogfight, saw what I thought was an axis fighter shooting yellow tracer at an allied fighter, and fired at long range before I had a 100% clear ID. This was an honest mistake on my part but was completely my fault, and I hope I did not ruin your night.

Once again, I apologize. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

...shooting yellow tracer..

Gotta be careful with that.  I can't confirm it - because my color perception isn't great - but, it seems to me that some tracer colors are relevant to gun type, not faction. 

9 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Gotta be careful with that.  I can't confirm it - because my color perception isn't great - but, it seems to me that some tracer colors are relevant to gun type, not faction. 

Yes, I think this is the case. Previously tracer colour always seemed to correspond to orange/red allied and white-yellow axis. But with the new planes in particular this may not be the case.

Basically I thought the silhouetted looked about 80% right and the tracer fire tipped me over - but I shouldn't have been lazy and just disengaged until I got 100% sure. It was sloppy of me.

Hi!

I registered the MVP ( Magyar Virtuális Pilóták ) squad on the Combat Box stat site.

One of our squad members has problem with his account : Arhont-VR

We tryed lot of times with new registration and new invitation to solve the problem, but something is wrong.
It always says "renamed_user" and thats why his sorties not count in the team.

Can you please delete all his accounts from the Combat Box stat ?

We would like try a new registration.

Thanks.

Combat Box stat error_Arhont.png

19 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

I think you forgot to read the one of the "unwritten rules" about taxiing prior to take-off and to not just raming the thorttle foward from parking position. VARP has always been a great squadron that puts imerssion and simulation above arcade behaviours since SEOW times so you can image my surprise when I see you in my recorded track acting like someone from War Thunder. I cannot prove it anymore because the track no longer shows the name on the planes so you can call me a liar if you want but you know what I'm talking about. Maybe consider re-reading those rules again?

You words are enough for me Riksen, no need for track. TBH I never noticed I crashed into someone that day. If I do straight forward takeof I do it very carefully. I appologize to you now. So many times someone crashed into me, or teamkilled me via shoulder shooting....I just dont react, specially not in forums. Because only purpose of such posts is to disgrace someone. Funny part is that Im the one who did it only few times in my entire sim history but ended up here.....

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

You words are enough for me Riksen, no need for track. TBH I never noticed I crashed into someone that day. If I do straight forward takeof I do it very carefully. I appologize to you now. So many times someone crashed into me, or teamkilled me via shoulder shooting....I just dont react, specially not in forums. Because only purpose of such posts is to disgrace someone. Funny part is that Im the one who did it only few times in my entire sim history but ended up here.....

We all have done it and sometimes still do it Trvdi. In the end this is a game and we all have our bad days, trust me. I apologize for the post above and I can see that it became something about exposing you instead... But hey we are all guilty of bad behaviours online at one time or another. I have nothing but respect for you squadron and I'm sure you will continue to set an example.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

We all have done it and sometimes still do it Trvdi. In the end this is a game and we all have our bad days, trust me. I apologize for the post above and I can see that it became something about exposing you instead... But hey we are all guilty of bad behaviours online at one time or another. I have nothing but respect for you squadron and I'm sure you will continue to set an example.

Cheers

S!

On 10/21/2019 at 8:22 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

So is bombing spawned & taxiing aircraft allowed?

It's not allowed. We originally had the wording "strafing players is not allowed" but changed that to attacking to indicate that bombs or rockets are disallowed for the same reason: it's no fun to be killed on the ground while you're waiting for your engine to start. So we made the rule that you should not attack someone if their wheels are on the ground. If a player continues their takeoff (or approach) and is in the air and someone swoops in and kills them, well, they knew the risks. But if you're on the ground, you're safe.

There's very little to be gained from attacking a player airfield. It won't win you the map. So we discourage it with this rule.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

getting real sick and tired of the Base camping in the rear area!!!

It is definitely 'a thing' on CB now.   We came to the conclusion that it might be a result of some people having worse vision with the new vis systems so deciding to hang around somewhere they know enemies will be found.   Alternatively perhaps it is the people with 'better' vision that now find they don't have to get so close to the enemy airfield to see people taking off and landing.   

Not sure we are 'Sick & Tired' of it though.  If there is a greater chance of finding enemies hovering near your airfield then it just gives you a better chance to take off from somewhere else and bounce them.  By definition, most of them must have gone low to pick off the 'low fruit' and so have a lot less energy than you.

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

It is definitely 'a thing' on CB now.   We came to the conclusion that it might be a result of some people having worse vision with the new vis systems so deciding to hang around somewhere they know enemies will be found.   Alternatively perhaps it is the people with 'better' vision that now find they don't have to get so close to the enemy airfield to see people taking off and landing.   

Not sure we are 'Sick & Tired' of it though.  If there is a greater chance of finding enemies hovering near your airfield then it just gives you a better chance to take off from somewhere else and bounce them.  By definition, most of them must have gone low to pick off the 'low fruit' and so have a lot less energy than you.

It may not be a bad idea for the fighter-oriented people that get in early in the mission to set up a standing CAP over friendly airfields or rear areas to counter this sort of thing. I find myself flying mostly ground attack missions of late in fighter-bombers as I am not so effective in air to air.

I get sick and tired of it after about 4 times in a 30 min period. and go back to Single player missions. cant even get to the missions.. it worthless to fly in the server. 

When your just cannon fodder. at least I can do something in VR Single player, and can see better, in multiplayer I can't see any EA, or Friendly AC, until 300 meters they really fubared the LOD in this for us VR users. This server should really make them stick to the missions, or atleast turn on the Flak because I didn't get no Sirens of an airfield attack, nor did the flack pose a risk for the EA.

No one uses Discord or Teamspeak, so trying to notify FA about EA and text and fly is like texting and driving; it's really harder for me when I'm in VR.

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

9 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

I get sick and tired of it after about 4 times in a 30 min period. and go back to Single player missions. cant even get to the missions.. it worthless to fly in the server. 

When your just cannon fodder. at least I can do something in VR Single player, and can see better, in multiplayer I can't see any EA, or Friendly AC, until 300 meters they really fubared the LOD in this for us VR users. This server should really make them stick to the missions, or atleast turn on the Flak because I didn't get no Sirens of an airfield attack, nor did the flack pose a risk for the EA.

No one uses Discord or Teamspeak, so trying to notify FA about EA and text and fly is like texting and driving; it's really harder for me when I'm in VR.

How do you suggest the server make people stick to the missions? Intercepting enemy aircraft before they reach the front lines is a valid mission for fighters, even if it is frustrating for those shot down. The server rule is no shooting anyone with wheels on the ground. Anything further than that is excessive and IMO pretty much unenforceable. 

If flak or sirens didn't activate when the aircraft are over the airfield, that is likely a bug or a trigger that isnt working properly in the missions. But if they are outside detection range of the flak or the airfield then there is really nothing that can be done to warn you. The missions already give you a lot of "x plane above city y" messages.

I realize that normal visibility causes problems for some people but if you truly aren't seeing any aircraft until they are 300 metres away, there is something seriously wrong going on somewhere in your setup or in your connection or something. I do not use VR but I know a number of people fly it on this server, including the admins. 

27 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Interdiction is a valid tactic.

If you're getting wrecked online, but "can do something in VR single player", its because you're not challenging yourself to improve. AI will not even get close to the unpredictable nature of human players.

VR spotting is just fine, you're going to need to check your settings and look into the 3dMigoto mod on the Modding forum.

Sirens are effective for airfield attacks, and flack will absolutely wreck EA over the airfield.

There are usually some people on Discord, but yes people in the game tend to either be in their squadron discord or not at all. I do make a point to be in there when I'm flying. Maybe I'll catch you on there at some point and maybe help you out a bit.

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant
More to say.

3 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

How do you suggest the server make people stick to the missions? Intercepting enemy aircraft before they reach the front lines is a valid mission for fighters, even if it is frustrating for those shot down. The server rule is no shooting anyone with wheels on the ground. Anything further than that is excessive and IMO pretty much unenforceable. 

If flak or sirens didn't activate when the aircraft are over the airfield, that is likely a bug or a trigger that isnt working properly in the missions. But if they are outside detection range of the flak or the airfield then there is really nothing that can be done to warn you. The missions already give you a lot of "x plane above city y" messages.

I realize that normal visibility causes problems for some people but if you truly aren't seeing any aircraft until they are 300 metres away, there is something seriously wrong going on somewhere in your setup or in your connection or something. I do not use VR but I know a number of people fly it on this server, including the admins. 

oh your really over exaggerating the word *SICK* its an american pun or slang, for example, "literally I'm getting sick and tired of you asking me about the word how are people getting sick". 

Really if you need american slang or english lessons google the term sick and tired.

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I wouldn't know about the mission as I literally for 1 hour on your server could not get to any missions as the LW had every AR field vulched. for the amount of time I was allowed by my wife to be on so called missions.

1 minute ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

oh your really over exaggerating the word *SICK* its an american pun or slang, for example, "literally I'm getting sick and tired of you asking me about the word how are people getting sick". 

Really if you need american slang or english lessons google the term sick and tired.

Ease up mastiff, your grip on the English language and grammar isn't that great either.

Just now, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Ease up mastiff, your grip on the English language and grammar isn't that great either.

doesn't really need to be, the point gets across.

14 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

I wouldn't know about the mission as I literally for 1 hour on your server could not get to any missions as the LW had every AR field vulched. for the amount of time I was allowed by my wife to be on so called missions.

I'm so confused. American slang? English lessons? When did I use the word sick? I am just an ignorant Canadian , please help, eh? 

As for the missions... There are targets and victory conditions. There's no way to force anyone to only fly over the designated targets, or to force them not to attack people who just took off. It's frustrating but there's no way to avoid it. Every server has vulching. Even KOTA, which has targets and airfields pretty far apart, has people who strafe you on take off. Happened to me twice in a row once, on different airfields.

EDIT: also it is not my server. I just fly on it.

Edited by RedKestrel