Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

22 hours ago, OREL_Shifty said:

I've been flying for Allies from the start, and from the start it was hell who didn't have the nerve to go for the blue. After the advent of Dora, 109K and Me 262, it was hell straight away. Now it's finally settled and it's time to settle the accounts. Even so, AXIS is a strong rival. The way they piloted on their aircraft is basically not from the beginning, they're flung out, we had to move from one type of aircraft to another. Without any concession. Now the ones who don't have the balls to fly for AXIS will change their coat.I've been waiting for these machines since the beginning of the 1946 sturmovics, they flew terribly there.

So thank you for balancing forces.

This is by far the best thing about the update, numbers are more balanced now as well as the planes themselves. I am thoroughly enjoying the P51 but I also like to fly the germans against these new planes and also the new spotting is great as it has forced me to adapt my strategies. Now I can see the enemy from far away so I have time to plan my attack or play defensive leaving them alone and going for another objective.

Everything is more realistic and the battlefield feels more alive than ever.

• Like 1

@Alonzo

I would like to make a suggestion regarding mission types in general.

Would it be possible to simulate "rear duty" types of objectives for those of the players who enjoy flying for itself and not necessarily need the thrill of dogfight (or aren't adequately equipped for it)?

So let's say maybe to add an objective to search for a shot down pilot (maybe in form of a small vehicle if there are no pilot figures to place) that is only roughly pointed out in a large area on the map (so as really having to search for it) and when overflying that objective within a sphere of about say 30 meters or so the objective is completed and gives the pilot some points? 

Imho that would be a great way to actually bring the U-2 to work as its possibilities are somewhat...limited by now. You could exclude those objectives from counting to win the map to not force some "boring duties" on the players who enjoy the dogfights and rough action.

On the German side some evacuation flights from at unmarked airfield with the Ju-52 could maybe be added to allow for a balanced set of possibilities for some non-combatant duties. On approaching the right field with the right plane a flare would be fired to indicate the need for evacuation.

I would like it to see this kind of stuff. I hope the community doesn't kill me for that.

Edited by Majakowski
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Majakowski said:

@Alonzo

I would like to make a suggestion regarding mission types in general.

Would it be possible to simulate "rear duty" types of objectives for those of the players who enjoy flying for itself and not necessarily need the thrill of dogfight (or aren't adequately equipped for it)?

So let's say maybe to add an objective to search for a shot down pilot (maybe in form of a small vehicle if there are no pilot figures to place) that is only roughly pointed out in a large area on the map (so as really having to search for it) and when overflying that objective within a sphere of about say 30 meters or so the objective is completed and gives the pilot some points? 

Imho that would be a great way to actually bring the U-2 to work as its possibilities are somewhat...limited by now. You could exclude those objectives from counting to win the map to not force some "boring duties" on the players who enjoy the dogfights and rough action.

On the German side some evacuation flights from at unmarked airfield with the Ju-52 could maybe be added to allow for a balanced set of possibilities for some non-combatant duties. On approaching the right field with the right plane a flare would be fired to indicate the need for evacuation.

I would like it to see this kind of stuff. I hope the community doesn't kill me for that.

I am hoping that when the FC aircraft are finished we can get the promised Li-2/C47 done and both sides can have some transport/evac type missions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am hoping that when the FC aircraft are finished we can get the promised Li-2/C47 done and both sides can have some transport/evac type missions.

Operation Garden Market type mission including towed gliders would be amazing to watch!

Anyway, as much as I enjoy this server, playing 4:1 (20 red against 5 blue) is a little bit OTT for me and no matter how realistic the numbers are from a historical point, I for one will wait for the hype to die down. 

Regards

H

21 against 5 now.

Edited by Haza

hello everyone ,

just flew combat box red flight for the first time and practiced navigation between 3 main  Soviet  airfields winter time . Was lucky , did'nt get ambushed . I see you all communicate with each other and i would like to join in conversation when there is an opportunity to fly in flights or as wingman in missions when possible . I know nothing about discord  , how to connect and do i need team speak or is chatter through discord  ?  Can someone pls explain how to join your discord and other connection details please ,

1 hour ago, dog1 said:

hello everyone ,

just flew combat box red flight for the first time and practiced navigation between 3 main  Soviet  airfields winter time . Was lucky , did'nt get ambushed . I see you all communicate with each other and i would like to join in conversation when there is an opportunity to fly in flights or as wingman in missions when possible . I know nothing about discord  , how to connect and do i need team speak or is chatter through discord  ?  Can someone pls explain how to join your discord and other connection details please ,

https://discord.gg/Rcjj33E

THAT SUGGESTION THAT MAJAKOWSKI made;
I would like to make a suggestion regarding mission types in general

Edited 2 hours ago by Majakowski

YES  :)  that would be great !   

...and if its possible to make a Map between Maikop and ADLER  as this would force to search ,fly and dogfight through and over Mountains..   

:)    :)

;)

;)

P47 HAKA RAMP.jpg

or here.jpg

Dogfight Mountain1.jpg

Edited by SPEEDWULF77

If you have already mentioned this, please disregard.  As you contemplate changes to the missions, you may want to consider placing the target objectives further apart from one another.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

If you have already mentioned this, please disregard.  As you contemplate changes to the missions, you may want to consider placing the target objectives further apart from one another.

I agree but, sometimes, (not all the time), it might not be so bad to have a couple of objectives that are only a few km away from each other.  

I'm leaning toward having as many objectives stuffed onto the map as possible with a few very difficult primary targets.  If the primaries are failed to be destroyed, then it could be attempted to win the map on points.  

The reason I'm thinking this is because currently, nobody really has to do any pre-planning for ground attack.  Things like choosing secondary targets in the flight if the primary is unreachable just doesn't happen.  It's all "run for the glory and just saddle up a new horse if the last one dies" kind of stuff no matter what server it is. 

"The reason I'm thinking this is because currently, nobody really has to do any pre-planning for ground attack."

That might be the case for those negligent to getting shot down. If you are keen to survive your mission, planning is already necessary. Especially for maps with the juicy targets far behind the lines and immediately next to the enemy airfields.

Does anyone know why the AAA is invincible and indestructible. Thanks. 

On 10/6/2019 at 6:14 AM, Haza said:

Alonso,

With the new Allied plane set being released it is readily apparent that the Allies now have the upper hand with regards to ground attack and winning the objectives/ maps as can be clearly seen with the 32-1 maps won so far this month!  Now I understand that everybody has got red fever, therefore, before the server turns into another WOL white-wash against blues, could some of the later war maps be adjusted to reflect the fact that the blues were defending and perhaps limit the number of objectives needed to win or something like that, as currently trying to win a map for blues is starting to become impossible!

Just a suggestion and my thoughts!

Regards

It’s well balanced with ME262’s hitting and running. It’s awesome 

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Does anyone know why the AAA is invincible and indestructible. Thanks. 

I'm pretty sure I saw it posted that it's a bug.  

21 hours ago, JG4_Retnek said:

Just a note to the mission " Battle_over_Eindhoven_Mar_1945 " - when the engine of the German fuel train was hit, the (rest of the) train remained on the track even when the next trains spawned. The remains of the previous train to made the new trains engine explode, too. I suspect that's not intended. A "delete trigger" might do the job, hopefully it deletes the whole train even if some of the waggons are uncoupled by attacks and remain on the track in different positions.

Hmmm, you are right that it's not intended -- I'll take a look. At the moment we have a 5 minute delay between train spawns, and the game is sort-of-kinda supposed to clean up 'dead' objects automatically within some (8?) minutes. We also have an explicit delete on the train if it doesn't make it to its destination, but I can increase the aggressiveness of the delete code. Thank you for the bug report.

• Thanks 1

YES, AA is not destroyable  but only for the AXXis  ...  he,he...

I ve checked in stats...  Allied CAN destroy AA    Axxis NOT..

Edited by SPEEDWULF77

1 hour ago, SPEEDWULF77 said:

YES, AA is not destroyable  but only for the AXXis  ...  he,he...

I ve checked in stats...  Allied CAN destroy AA    Axxis NOT..

In the latest update AA started lowering itself underneath terrain, becoming invisible and invulnerable. Alonzo is having to check every AA emplacement manually - so please cut him some slack!

1 minute ago, LP1888 said:

Can we refuel in this server ?

Currently the rearm/repair/refuel system is not working correctly in multiplayer and a source of potential crashes and hangs.

Is it true that Combat Box will be switching to 'Normal Vis' soon to see how it goes?   I really hope so as it seems everyone has gone down the Alternative route and I have nowhere I can fly any more.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Is it true that Combat Box will be switching to 'Normal Vis' soon to see how it goes?   I really hope so as it seems everyone has gone down the Alternative route and I have nowhere I can fly any more.

Yes it is true, and thank the gods

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

We've been running "normal/expert/hard" spotting for about 4 hours now to varying feedback.

• Sad 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Talon_ said:

We've been running "normal/expert/hard" spotting for about 4 hours now to varying feedback.

please put it back, it is horrendous. alt-spotting was much better. My friends and I flew just a bit ago and quit after one sortie. Please it was much better before.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, YIPPEE said:

please put it back, it is horrendous. alt-spotting was much better. My friends and I flew just a bit ago and quit after one sortie. Please it was much better before.

Agreed the alt-spotting aka the new spotting system is much better.  I hope you guys will put it back to the alt settings.

• Upvote 2

I dialed my gamma down to 0.8 and I found the expert (non-alternate) spotting was good.

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Please put back on the good spotting, I've personally been enjoying the game significantly more since it's addition and it was nothing but an improvement. I honestly don't see any worth in the "hard" vision, why do I want to simulate poor vision?

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

Well, as far as I can tell, WoL is running the 'hard' visibility but, I've decided to not visit there anymore. If there ends up being no servers other than WoL running the hard vis mode, I guess I'll just have to accept that no one is going to miss me.  Too bad career mode SP requires an online connection to play. :( 

2 hours ago, The_Blackadder said:

Please put back on the good spotting, I've personally been enjoying the game significantly more since it's addition and it was nothing but an improvement. I honestly don't see any worth in the "hard" vision, why do I want to simulate poor vision?

Because what you see as poor vision is seen as stupidly visible on others PC . The rendering is dependant on hardware and settings.

We must accept that it's a choice, and both choice are rendering good for a portion of the population, and bad for another portion.

So CB switching to alternate would be done at the expense of some of its players, exactly like this switch to normal is done at your expense.

Just so you know, on my system, on CB maps with alternate settings, I see most if not all contacts rendered between 25 and 30kms. It means I see what happens on objective A when flying around objective B, I see what happens on the front shortly after taking off, it's making any kind of navigation or flight planning totally useless, making Combat Box a glorified dogfight, Berloga- like , server, I just need to go toward  my furball of choice that I see in  front of me.

I guess that's not what you see in these settings...

I'm not advocating for any settings, mind you, I think it's pointless in current implementation, I'm just addressing your question about the worthiness of standard visibility settings.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the feedback guys. Please make an effort to fly on the server for yourselves during the current spotting test so we can gather as much as possible!

I definitely had more fun for me with the realistic (/expert) spotting setting. all evening  Was doing some jabo missions and not getting jumped every single time.  Dog fighting was a little more spread out and much more realistic and not the giant  furball that emerges with the alternate spotting.  I enjoyed the challenge of seeing the smaller contacts too which is ultimately a skill that can be developed to a large degree depending on the hardware.

• Upvote 6

Thanks for switching back to expert.  Had no trouble seeing aircraft, but wished my flying wasn't complete crap, though I at least ended the night on a positive note.

• Upvote 5

how do you switch off G black outs , i'm blacking out every time i dog fight .

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, dog1 said:

how do you switch off G black outs , i'm blacking out every time i dog fight .

Don't pull so hard to disable blackouts 😉

• Haha 2

Yes, please, leave it on expert vision! It just feels much more realistic. This is not War Thunder! Spotting planes from 30-40 kilometers away just ruins the whole sim experience.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 8

on the web site forum i keep getting the message claim account but when i place my email i get the message email already exists .

Hi!

I have the game in german language and always i fly on the server on every map are these messages ca. 80 % wrong : "Enemy aircraft detected by radar in..."

I mean the sectors are wrong.

Can you please correct it?

Thanks.

8 of squad flew this last night, absolute bliss to have sensible vision and consistent spotting. No climbing up out over Geleznik and spotting white flying saucers attacking ground targets on the North coast (unlike the last time we flew this scenario). Even with higher pings for Europe, would select this over our usual other choices whilst they stick with alternate.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

8 of squad flew this last night, absolute bliss to have sensible vision and consistent spotting. No climbing up out over Geleznik and spotting white flying saucers attacking ground targets on the North coast (unlike the last time we flew this scenario). Even with higher pings for Europe, would select this over our usual other choices whilst they stick with alternate.

I'm in the UK and I ping 80 to CB - a friend in Serbia pings 96. We found the server browser doesn't accurately portray ping compared to the tools running on the server box itself - you probably ping better than you think 😁

5 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Please make an effort to fly on the server for yourselves during the current spotting test so we can gather as much as possible!

How long do you expect to run this test for for feedback? I probably will not get online to play until the weekend.

10 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

I'm in the UK and I ping 80 to CB - a friend in Serbia pings 96. We found the server browser doesn't accurately portray ping compared to the tools running on the server box itself - you probably ping better than you think 😁

In-game my CB ping is about 90 or so and I'm in Canada, but I have wireless internet so I get much worse ping relative to hardwired stuff.

1 minute ago, RedKestrel said:

How long do you expect to run this test for for feedback? I probably will not get online to play until the weekend.

Certainly Friday night will be using "expert" spotting and into Saturday. We're getting good feedback on both sides.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, =[V]P=vad-asz said:

I have the game in german language and always i fly on the server on every map are these messages ca. 80 % wrong : "Enemy aircraft detected by radar in..."

I mean the sectors are wrong.

Why do you think the sectors are wrong? I think they are correct but since they are simulated radar triggered by players flying around, it's hard for even the map maker (me) to know if they are being triggered correctly. Are the sectors off the map or something?