Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

Question for Admins @Alonzo And @Talon_

Is it possible to unlock the Heavies ( SC1000kg and SC1800kg ) now for the German Bombers/Attackers since the P-38 attacker can carry 4000 lbs load out ? It seems to me from what i see, the Allies are destroying German targets pretty fast possibly because of the P-38s and that we don't have those load outs available for the axis side to counter this.  I don't believe this would upset the overall balance swinging maps won lopsided back to the Axis side for map wins. I believe it will make the map more balanced. Also since HE111,Ju87, Ju88 and  BF110G2 are still and inferior aircraft now compared to what the Allies aircraft available on your later maps. The Fw190A-8 with a decent bomb load out is now looking like the best for survival and attacking and trying to survive to get back to base. I think if you can get to the target with these bombs you should be able to open a portal to the center of the earth with them. :)

Thanks for this consideration.

Edited by SCG_CoolWhip
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

99% percent of the time i avoid combat box. i feel this server was great... 

I loved you guys and now you kicked me to the curb.  for me has not been enjoyable experience.

I have since left combat box discord and blocked everyone associated.  I hope you change. 

if you want to get better then let me know untill then i will avoid your server as much as possible. 

Thanks!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, -332FG-r3dark said:

I loved you guys and now you kicked me to the curb.  for me has not been enjoyable experience.

I have since left combat box discord and blocked everyone associated.  I hope you change. 

if you want to get better then let me know untill then i will avoid your server as much as possible. 

Thanks!

Good luck, I guess?? 

On 10/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, RedKestrel said:

If they just give us a perfect bridge eventually we will get over it.

I happen to have an extra one in Brooklyn I could let go of for cheap...

Speaking of the ABTF map...    It seems to me that the bombing targets are set up for high altitude level bombing.  I don't mind at all but, I do see a lot of Axis victories with the fact that only the A-20 is available for Allies.  I guess, historically, the P-38 wasn't used for this operation - or the one we have is the wrong model, or some other arbitrary reason, as they don't seem to be available.  It might not be a level bomber but, accurately dive-dropping from a sufficient altitude is not too difficult - unlike some other planes.  

On some targets, like facilities in the south of the map, taking a bomb on your single engine fighter might just be an easy way to be nothing more than a piñata for Axis fighters.

Maybe if the B-25 AI plane gets converted to a player-flyable model it will get better.  As it stands, Allies need large, coordinated squads to get past 2-3 Axis fighters on comms together capping a target.  Otherwise, it's pointless to expect that you will be of any use to anybody except as fodder for the stat-padders. 

On a different note,  @Alonzo, Is it possible to reinstate the AI when the player count is low?  Some of us like to hang out well past prime hours but, the drawback is that without AI or a desire to practice ground attack, it gets dull fast when only a few players are online. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, -332FG-r3dark said:

Thanks!

Feel free to answer in PM if you like, but what happened? We haven't taken any action against you as far as I know.

The winner of the October giveaway is EG14_Chris! He wins a copy of Battle of Bodenplatte, premium edition early access!

I've messaged him here on the forums, but if anyone knows this pilot please tell them that they need to claim their prize, or we'll give it to the first runner up instead.

• Like 2

Great missions. It seems that these beautiful missions could be a small Boddenplatte campaign ). Now I look forward to the winter map and the marshal’s mod..

On 11/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, -332FG-r3dark said:

Thanks!

What is it you don't like about combat box? I ask this becuase, it's one of the main servers the 332nd fly in, and I have not heard you say anything negative about it. Other than the few bugs and such that are inevitable with new content, this server has been one of the best ones. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, -332FG-r3dark said:

Thanks!

Combat Box is the highest quality server this game has- full stop. Good luck finding anything similar elsewhere.

@Alonzo As others have mentioned, would it be possible to have AI machines spawn when player numbers are low (off-peak time) ? I would love to roam about picking off objectives with the threat of enemy planes lurking when there’s no one else on. I believe this would also help to populate the server average numbers throughout the week.

Regards

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

In the topic of AI, it’s something we had in the past but it’s a fair amount of effort to add to a map. It might make a comeback but I sort of need to be sure it won’t negatively impact the server at peak times. In the past the AI on/off switching has worked but been unclear to players—some folks were frustrated to find they had spent time on an AI when there are players on the server.

But I hear you, and they might come back. It’s just a long list of things we want to do! 

I like the new ruhr pocket map, feels a lot less placeholder than the initial maps.

The distances, amount of targets and the moving convoys in the back are nice. Maybe some trains as targets as well?

• Upvote 1

I am on my 4th day online in IL2 and I just wanted to say thanks to @Alonzo for hosting a fantastic server.  and thanks to the community of people who use comms in discord.  It has really helped, and been super fun having people to communicate and coordinate with.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

On 11/2/2019 at 4:47 AM, -332FG-r3dark said:

Thanks!

FAKE REVIEW

Calling it a review is a bit generous. Reviews, typically, have a reasoning or at least some details. This seems more like disgruntled rambling.

I think there's some kind of story/event that I'm not aware of. r3dark, please feel free to PM me or Talon if you want to talk about it. I hope all is well with you.

8 hours ago, capt_nasties said:

I am on my 4th day online in IL2 and I just wanted to say thanks to @Alonzo for hosting a fantastic server.  and thanks to the community of people who use comms in discord.  It has really helped, and been super fun having people to communicate and coordinate with.   

Even though I kept you from getting back to base a couple times, your bomb drops were right on. I'm sure that with good cover, you'll be good for any team you're on. Glad you're enjoying multiplayer. :) 

• Upvote 1

CBox stealed the show 😁

Server is full even on European time, we need another one like this.

Missions are great now, with right distances and amount of objectives.

Congrats on a good job!

P.S why this thread isn't pinned, it's currently the most popular server?

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

thanks @Mobile_BBQ  Yes I only made it back about 25% of the time on my first few days.    I am working on checking my 6 more often. in VR the low resolution and flexibility are tough.  Last night I was actually flying "side saddle" where i would look out over a wing when looking straight, and only had to look 90* to check 6 or look straight...seemed to work but once a contact is spotted its really hard to find it again once I re center the view.  

I have the 3dmigoto zoom dialed in and have played with my graphic settings.   But holy crap its hard to see anything on the rift CV1.  Often when I spot something and have a quick glance off or at 6 I can never find it again 

In regards to this awesome server

Being super new to IL2 online my opinion is not based on experience, but a fresh perspective.  I imagine if some of the objectives were slightly easier to destroy it would encourage more people to actually target them.  It seems that there are 2 types of pilots in the server, the majority looking for the nearest furball, and a minority that loads out with bombs and heads to an objective.  If the objectives were just a bit easier to destroy I think it would force the furball to be more related to objectives and encourage more people to target them.  Just my $0.02.  

Also +1 to pinning this post.  

Lastly, anyone know why objectives change "status" or disappear?!?  I was targeting the tirpitz and all that was visible was the smoke screen there was no ship under it, I flew all the way down to the deck to have a look and all I saw was a dock?  I also had buildings that looked un touched change to destroyed messes when I got closer on my final dive to drop ordinance.  Had to course correct and change target.  Probably graphic settings on my end??

Edited by capt_nasties

1 hour ago, capt_nasties said:

thanks @Mobile_BBQ  Yes I only made it back about 25% of the time on my first few days.    I am working on checking my 6 more often. in VR the low resolution and flexibility are tough.  Last night I was actually flying "side saddle" where i would look out over a wing when looking straight, and only had to look 90* to check 6 or look straight...seemed to work but once a contact is spotted its really hard to find it again once I re center the view.  

I have the 3dmigoto zoom dialed in and have played with my graphic settings.   But holy crap its hard to see anything on the rift CV1.  Often when I spot something and have a quick glance off or at 6 I can never find it again 

Being super new to IL2 online my opinion is not based on experience, but a fresh perspective.  I imagine if some of the objectives were slightly easier to destroy it would encourage more people to actually target them.  It seems that there are 2 types of pilots in the server, the majority looking for the nearest furball, and a minority that loads out with bombs and heads to an objective.  If the objectives were just a bit easier to destroy I think it would force the furball to be more related to objectives and encourage more people to target them.  Just my $0.02.  

Lastly, anyone know why objectives change "status" or disappear?!?  I was targeting the tirpitz and all that was visible was the smoke screen there was no ship under it, I flew all the way down to the deck to have a look and all I saw was a dock?  I also had buildings that looked un touched change to destroyed messes when I got closer on my final dive to drop ordinance.  Had to course correct and change target.  Probably graphic settings on my end??

I believe there is a situation or bug where damaged/destroyed buildings render in closer than undamaged buildings, so things look undamaged until you get closer. Its a consequence of the extended building visibility settings I believe.

In terms of the tirpitz its possible it was destroyed before you got there and the smoke screen just stayed tehre.

Just now, capt_nasties said:

@RedKestrel  would turning off "reder distant buildings" in graphics remedy this?  I can confirm tirpitz was not destroyed when I was not able to see it.  

I'm not sure, it shouldn't affect ships, only buildings. I haven't been able to set "render distant buildings" in my settings as my rig is not good enough to handle it, so I'm just going off what I have read in teh forum.

Also, if you are playing in VR, I seem to remember that there is a bug where contacts like ships, planes, moving vehicles etc. don't render in because the game doesn't think you are looking at them at the time? I know I saw it come up somewhere recently. That could be something too...the ship may have been there but you just couldn't see it. Were you getting shot at by AA? 

Maybe the VR guys or the admins can weigh in on this one.

Server is back up with the new patch, and you now get a chance to try each of the new seasons in rotation. Have fun!

Regarding visual glitches - if you use the new "long distance rendering" for cities, it shows the objects as undamaged at long range. Then when they get closer, you can see the true state of the building. I think this is just a bug related to the new long distance rendering and I'm pretty sure it will be noticed and fixed in due course. 

For the Tirpitz objective, you need to kill the ship and also some of the dugouts nearby (because ships are actually super easy to kill with 1 bomb). It's possible that the objective had the ships already destroyed, but the dugouts / surrounding stuff was not. The map wouldn't show the objective as destroyed in this case, but you also wouldn't see the ships. In general we do pretty decent testing of our objectives, and if the thing is still marked as not-destroyed you need to kill more stuff.

If you're playing in VR this could also be to do with the centering problem described in another thread. To fix this, make sure you bind the VR center view to the same key as the regular center view. Otherwise apparently they can get out of sync and the game tries to optimize by not rendering stuff, but you're actually looking at it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, capt_nasties said:

cheers.  I was getting absolutely LIT UP by the AA  lol.

Yeah, the AA around the Tirpitz has annihilated me more than a few times. Still one of my favourite maps, I may be a masochist...

3 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Server is back up with the new patch, and you now get a chance to try each of the new seasons in rotation. Have fun!

That was quick! Hopefully I get a chance to play more frequently this month than last. Thanks for all your work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Maybe the VR guys or the admins can weigh in on this one.

Lucky for you all the admins are VR guys 😄

Just now, Talon_ said:

Lucky for you all the admins are VR guys 😄

Truly, you contain multitudes.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, capt_nasties said:

I'm not sure about VR but, there are ways to reduce the head-turning workload.  If you are patrolling for targets, try to fly parallel to the front line (if the line is running N/S, fly N/S. If E/W, fly E/W) so that you can look to your 9o'c or 3o'c when the wings are level and see the area the enemy is most likely to come from.  Don't stay level for too long though, and be sure to zig-zag randomly on your general heading.  You still have to check 6, up, down, and all-around - often no matter what but, this does open more visible area of sky concerning where the enemy might come from to more comfortable head positions.  Also, when turning, avoid banking your wings away from the front as much as possible. The reason is that the more your wing blocks the view of the area the enemy will most likely come from and someone flying straight at you will not be seen as well.  I find that patrolling in a triangle pattern so that my 6 o'c is never pointed at the frontline works best.  The drawback is that the turns onto the next heading can be a bit drastic and energy-bleeding so, get them over with asap and get the lost speed back quickly.  

If you're attacking a target, don't fly straight to it unless you are "in force" with other team mates. instead, use zigzags on an indirect general heading so you can scan the target area at 9o'c to 11:30 o'c or 12:30o'c to 3o'c.  If you're level bombing, then do set enough time and distance beforehand to get straight  onto target and, good luck. It's best to preplan level bombing flights and preset the bomb sight before you take off or asap once off the ground (A-20 doesn't allow preflight sight operation).

The Tirpitz target needs to have the ground facilities destroyed as well. IIRC.  The ships may have been sunk, but the bunkers, etc. were still 'active'.  Sometimes it's just a dumb little thing like an ammo dump or a camo tent or a truck that needs to go before the target will close.

The only other times I've ever seen the Tirpitz target not loaded or in a 'weird' state like you described, the server was about to crash.

The targets are generally balanced for two (*ahem*) equal teams on a full or mostly full server.  Hence, the toughness of some of them.  Some maps do have targets that are easy gimmees for both teams though. You just gotta learn which ones they are.  

Edited by Mobile_BBQ

After weeks without playing, I got my ass kicked up and down France and the Low Countries tonight. *sniff* I missed you guys!

• Haha 1

On Rheinland Winter, the planes are became too hard to see. Around 2/3000m above only, we can see easily tracers and flak but often not planes. It's a problem imo (isn't the alternative option, I don't know). All sides spent large time to find other planes but they was there and so close however.

54 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

On Rheinland Winter, the planes are became too hard to see. Around 2/3000m above only, we can see easily tracers and flak but often not planes. It's a problem imo (isn't the alternative option, I don't know). All sides spent large time to find other planes but they was there and so close however.

I always see planes before I see tracers. That's the exact opposite of how it should be.  It doesn't matter the mode.  

As far as spotting during winter, I'm sure that IRL with the snow reflecting and scattering light all around, it's harder to see planes in general.  Planes with chrome finish like the 38, 47 and 51 ought to blend in against the shiny, snowy ground a lot better under such conditions.  Planes with white paint obviously do too.  

It's not the spotting mode.  

I like the missions, but frankly they do not work as intended. Not that it is anything mission makers can do. 
Even the roughest plane get pulverized after a short burst by patiently awaiting “defenders” looking for easy pray. 
no one at coms and no escort makes it pretty unplayable for ground pounders. 
I like it if more people join comms on red side and make a more organized flight towards objectives. The “defenders” will find it less attractive if they need to fight for a kill, game play will go as mission makers intended and I think it will be more fun for all. 
I like early scenario too in the rotation if possible. 

13 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I like the missions, but frankly they do not work as intended. Not that it is anything mission makers can do. 
Even the roughest plane get pulverized after a short burst by patiently awaiting “defenders” looking for easy pray. 
no one at coms and no escort makes it pretty unplayable for ground pounders. 

Combat Box is pretty popular these days, and as a result some of the best IL2 pilots are regularly on the server looking for action. If you are getting shot down a lot, you need to adjust your tactics: Use in-game chat to ask for cover, join up with other ground attackers who are also taking off, get reports about how strong is the defence at a target, go for targets that are not part of a "hot spot" etc. Join voice comms either on Discord or elsewhere.  Look for a wingman in #looking-for-wingman. Consider joining a squad and flying with a bigger group. Fly higher en-route to target, make a single high speed pass, and bug out immediately. "One pass, haul ass." Try level bombing from 6,000m.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I like it if more people join comms on red side and make a more organized flight towards objectives.

A few posts up is what you're looking for: