Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Did they address the invisible indestructible AAA yet? 

This is a bug introduced in the latest update which affects Alonzo's efficient activation/deactivation AAA style. So far he has converted all target AAA so that it is no longer invisible, though some invisible AAA remains around player spawn airfields - we figure that shouldn't matter too much as nobody will get much of a shot at it anyway!

In other news Combat Box just became the first ever stat-tracked IL-2 server to break 3,000 unique players in a single month's tour - and with two weeks left to go too! Congratulations everyone and especially you the players - we could not have done it without you all! :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

13 часов назад, VO101Kurfurst сказал:

There is nothing wrong with ahistorical, but balanced dogfight servers. 

But then of course if the idea of 'balance' is that Allied side gets all the goodies, and the Axis none, then it's neither historical, neither balanced.

This is not true. I saw server statistics. The Blues have more wins, but the Reds have more hours on the server and more destroyed ground targets.

I hope the testing ends soon and we can go back to "alternate vis OFF". This mode is inmersion killer imo, only good for 262 piots to see you from 30km and keep good SA cause it's like flying with icons on... and planes dissapear when you get closer..

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Talon_ said:

This is a bug introduced in the latest update which affects Alonzo's efficient activation/deactivation AAA style. So far he has converted all target AAA so that it is no longer invisible, though some invisible AAA remains around player spawn airfields - we figure that shouldn't matter too much as nobody will get much of a shot at it anyway!

In other news Combat Box just became the first ever stat-tracked IL-2 server to break 3,000 unique players in a single month's tour - and with two weeks left to go too! Congratulations everyone and especially you the players - we could not have done it without you all! :) 

Meh! Some of you may be unique players, I’m rather derivative.

3 hours ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

I hope the testing ends soon and we can go back to "alternate vis OFF". This mode is inmersion killer imo, only good for 262 piots to see you from 30km and keep good SA cause it's like flying with icons on... and planes dissapear when you get closer..

I was on the fence until tonight. Playing with alt vis is just too jarring. I hadn’t realized how far out I was seeing planes until tonight... I really was seeing some from 30 km away, bright as fireflies regardless of lighting or contrails. I know many people will not be happy but normal visibility is the better of the two options right now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Polls show that alternate is more popular.

I think alternate is even more popular than polls show because all experten are here on forums but many of the casual players don`t even visit here ever.

After another 48 hour test Combat Box is now back on Expert spotting. As a VR user myself, I think Alternate has too many drawbacks.

I was on the fence for a long time as evidenced by the multiple testing periods, but I come down on this side for several reasons:

- Alternate spotting is a gift to Me262 pilots who can spend hours circling at high speed with excellent situational awareness and pick targets from extremely long range.

- Bombers especially inflate to very large sizes and seem to "hang" in the air at long range. They are also heavily disadvantaged - I had pilots flying 30km from the objective we were supposed to be defending to kill bombers they had just seen taking off 😅

- Situational awareness isn't very much improved inside the "critical" range of 5km. Contacts no longer inflate at this distance but it is the distance inside which your position compared to other aircraft is immediately actionable.

- Finding fights feels easier, but people are still fighting in the same places as before - it should be no surprise that furballs develop above ground targets... now you can just see it from across the map first!

- Alternate seems to introduce a bug that allows aircraft to disappear and "spawn in" close by. It also doesn't seem to change contrail render distance for all contacts.

I do not think either option is perfect and would like to see a middle ground ideally. That being said, we have to pick something, so this is what we're gonna run with for now. We also think that for VR (Alonzo also uses VR along with 6 other members of Red Flight), it just feels better on Expert.

Sorry for those that prefer Alternate. If we get an update to either mode rest assured we will test it immediately. Combat Box is aimed at being inclusive and fun and we would love to use some kind of acceptable compromise if it's presented to us.

Thanks guys!

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 10

Well, you`ve made your decision and that`s all right. I`m sure for VR guys expert looks better. For guys like me, not so much.

It`s your server and not going to whine about it like customary here, I`ll hope that we get the other quite popular option also presented among servers. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Well, you`ve made your decision and that`s all right. I`m sure for VR guys expert looks better. For guys like me, not so much.

It`s your server and not going to whine about it like customary here, I`ll hope that we get the other quite popular option also presented among servers. Thanks!

Yeah I can only apologise that we didn't come down on the side of Alternate for those that wanted it. The mode does have some advantages but I can't keep flipping the server from one to another manually forever... In the end we were going to disappoint half the community regardless sadly!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Talon_ said:

After another 48 hour test Combat Box is now back on Expert spotting. As a VR user myself, I think Alternate has too many drawbacks.

I was on the fence for a long time as evidenced by the multiple testing periods, but I come down on this side for several reasons:

>< SNIP ><

Sorry for those that prefer Alternate. If we get an update to either mode rest assured we will test it immediately. Combat Box is aimed at being inclusive and fun and we would love to use some kind of acceptable compromise if it's presented to us.

Thanks guys!

I think is an excellent choice given the 2 viewing options we currently have.

Alternate spotting

Witch

Edited by Black-Witch
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad to hear that! Regular spotting is not perfect but far more reallistic. It might not be more popular as some say but that doesn't mean it is not better. It just means some individuals want easy mode spotting and a giant Berloga arena. Combat Box should strive to become a tactical envinronment where bombers can feel confortable as well in their mission without having to worry about people spotting them from 40km out.

• Upvote 5

Just to be clear, some individuals wan`t to make this something else than it is.

This is why I favor alternate: 

If individual can`t get what I mean from those pictures, it`s his problem. But please don`t make the issue something it`s not. Nothing else, thanks!

19 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Just to be clear, some individuals wan`t to make this something else than it is.

This is why I favor alternate: 

If individual can`t get what I mean from those pictures, it`s his problem. But please don`t make the issue something it`s not. Nothing else, thanks!

That's totally fine - I'm not gonna tell anybody they are wrong or right on this issue, only that we can't run both or neither so we had to pick something eventually. KOTA's poll indicated that their community would prefer Alternate, so there is possibly an opportunity there for those that would prefer it. Again, I'm sorry the Devs put us in this position guys!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

That's totally fine - I'm not gonna tell anybody they are wrong or right on this issue, only that we can't run both or neither so we had to pick something eventually. KOTA's poll indicated that their community would prefer Alternate, so there is possibly an opportunity there for those that would prefer it. Again, I'm sorry the Devs put us in this position guys!

I didn't mean you, I've got no problem people doing what they prefer on their servers. You've done right thing, no need to mess around too long with different settings. And I'm not even saying that I'm never going to fly here and all that BS 😀

Just wanted to be absolutely clear to everyone what I meant, thats all. 

5 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

I think is an excellent choice given the 2 viewing options we currently have.

Alternate spotting

Witch

I laughed, but I felt just like this on several occasions last night.

even if it's not perfect .alternate seems to be preferded  inside my team, as it favors high altitude combat and hit and run tactics instead of hugging the only contact i have per hour .  I respect others point of view,, i just wantd to share mine . I'm sure devs will find an inbetween solution .

I'm not a fan of either of the two options currently available, but feel that since the choice needs to be made, the 'Normal' visibility is the best one for a server trying to make the best of realism.  There are some great things about Alternate, but seeing things that look like 737's out at 40k is just too darned gamey. All I can say is that hopefully the issue of visibility is not a done deal, and in the future the developers can find the time to do further tweaks to it.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Hello gents, do all maps in rotation have AI spawning in at low player numbers, or is just a select few? Which types of AI planes are there and what player numbers do they come in at?

Cheers

AI is currently disabled on all maps due to the high numbers of players we have been seeing at peak hours. It’s possible we’ll reintroduce it but we’ll have to see.

• Upvote 1

I'm keen to see the AI return. Many Aussies always fly outside peak hours so filling in the sky would be nice.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, -RAAF-Shaneo said:

I'm keen to see the AI return. Many Aussies always fly outside peak hours so filling in the sky would be nice.

Exactly what I wanted to say. I hope it might be possible to have AI machines only trigger to spawn in at low player numbers under 10 or so.

Is anybody else's frame rate low on this server only?  Other servers are fine, 80-90fps, this one I seem to be in the mid 40s usually.  Sucks with VR.  Love the server, curious if others see this issue.

Had fun on the server tonight. I'm not a VR owner but I am prefering the non-alternate option at the moment.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trefftz_Plane said:

Is anybody else's frame rate low on this server only?  Other servers are fine, 80-90fps, this one I seem to be in the mid 40s usually.  Sucks with VR.  Love the server, curious if others see this issue.

New map is hard on framerates is my guess. I get 60 pretty consistently and have almost completely eliminated microstutters.

• Upvote 1

This is very good news. Especially for bombers. The new visibility enabled them to be spotted at such insane ranges (mostly because these planes were being enlarged) that they literally stood no chance of reaching their targets let alone make it back after.

@=KG76=flyus747

ackchyually it really depends on the tactic you use. I have managed to get a really satisfactory record (51 sorties 8 planes lost but not on CB as I prefer the WoL plane set) of making it to target and back unseen. Even on alternate. Although when in doubt I prefer the normal setting as it accounts for times when your tactic is no option and you again become visible like the moon on a cloudless night.

135.png

Edited by Majakowski

Had a good few sorties last night. Amazing to see the server so full on a Wednesday night. Discord was hopping too.

Special thanks to the pair of P-38s who saved my sorry tailfeathers from a FW-190D-9 that attacked me after my attack run on Stalingrad Scramble. He almost had me. Don't know who you guys are but you're doing the Lords' work. 

• Like 1

Some crashes today and yesterday? Sudden disconnections midgame, unable to join and the game hard freezing when trying to load.

Is there something going on with the main server?

• Upvote 1

Just now, =RvE=Windmills said:

Some crashes today and yesterday? Sudden disconnections midgame, unable to join and the game hard freezing when trying to load.

Is there something going on with the main server?

I had one disconnect yesterday. It is something that used to happen to me a lot on all servers, not lately since I updated my internet connection. I think the server is just getting overloaded a bit with being full all the time, and perhaps MP is a bit less stable since the patch. 

• Upvote 1

Just curious, I'm not after lost points;

on Mission #2601 three of us got bullseye hits on three different bridges, we saw them break up but only one of us got even a hit registered. Is there some logic I'm missing?

3 hours ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

on Mission #2601 three of us got bullseye hits on three different bridges, we saw them break up but only one of us got even a hit registered. Is there some logic I'm missing?

In game or on the stats page? I know stats were having some issues lately

On sortie log page, usually you see at least damage done with a close hit. Oh well, maybe I went bridge too far and that wasn't the target.

10 hours ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

Thanks! The mission is brand new and pretty much in open beta so I'll ask @Alonzo to look into it when he gets back!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

Server seems to have died again, unable to finish flight and server keeps bouncing me when trying to rejoin.

I just crashed in a field in a D-9 and could not finish flight; I could only leave the server (stalingrad_scramble mission).

Hi Alonzo, Thank you for your hard work :salute:

If I may make a suggestion: I noticed in the pre- bodenplatte the K-4 is missing. Is that intentional?

Not to tell you how to run your server by any means, but if you had time to spare - can you please make them more historic? Removing the non-late '43+ aircraft (like the P-40 and Bf 109G-2 and G-4) and add the K-4.

Thank you for your consideration.

6 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

pre- bodenplatte

This mission is on Knights of the Air

On 4/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, ITAF_Rani said:

Hi Alonzo I would suggest a invasion Sicily scenario 1943.

I found same little analogy between the two maps.

You could simulate the landing of allied ships to the south west coast of Sicily.

With a bit of fantasy, the possible scenario could be:

Allied planeset with air start:

Spit MK 5/9  (more 5 than 9)

P47( waiting the P38)

P40

A20

Axis planeset:

Mc 202

Me 109 G2/G4/G6

Fw 190 A3/A5

Me 110 E/G

Possible air start mission for Ju 52's going to supply fields or drop paras.

Allied have to protect their ships, tanks convoy to conquer fields

20190426_102944.jpg

20190426_102757.jpg

Ho Alonzo..  now that P38 and B 25 are avialable..this idea could be developed?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ITAF_Rani said:

Ho Alonzo..  now that P38 and B 25 are avialable..this idea could be developed?

The P-38 we have is in a pretty different league to a 1943 model without the boosted ailerons 😆