LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

4 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

My last stats say I died twice yesterday when I totally did not.

Hihi, I made a nice belly landing in the dirt and got away with it :P
same flight
(thirsty crate, that Yak-9)

Hi, loving the server and planning to spend quite a lot of time flying here next month. Is there a way to add points to the statistics for players who fly the resupply sorties? I flew a couple yesterday thinking I'd get a small reward but instead our 109 pilots just jumped in the new planes and flew off into the sunset  :)

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, I/KG1_Chattytumbler said:

Hi, loving the server and planning to spend quite a lot of time flying here next month. Is there a way to add points to the statistics for players who fly the resupply sorties? I flew a couple yesterday thinking I'd get a small reward but instead our 109 pilots just jumped in the new planes and flew off into the sunset  :)

Currently all you get is a warm fuzzy feeling that you helped your team ;) ... There currently isn't a way to add points into the stats system, which isn't made by us, but by FB_Vaal. Time permitting, I will write a stats system of our own some day. But that might be a long way away....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, I/KG1_Chattytumbler said:

I could be wrong but, it probably does add to your current pilot's flight time streak, which should factor into your overall ranking. 

That being said, we are looking into making a kludge to reward supply missions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

That being said, we are looking into making a kludge to reward supply missions.

There would be good idea of making airfields vulnerable too.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I think there's already enough possibilities for suppressing airfields.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

Vulnerable how? Do you mean the AAA? Airfields are not a target. They are not a target for the specific purpose that they wouldn't be so hazardous to take off from. People can suppress an airfield if they want, but the amount of crying about it(vulching) would increase dramatically if we would make it a mission objective for the enemy to hang around there :)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

Vulnerable how? Do you mean the AAA? Airfields are not a target. They are not a target for the specific purpose that they wouldn't be so hazardous to take off from. People can suppress an airfield if they want, but the amount of crying about it(vulching) would increase dramatically if we would make it a mission objective for the enemy to hang around there :)

No, I mean vulnerable by bombing their infrastructures and fuel resources or bombing parked planes there.

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

I think there's already enough possibilities for suppressing airfields.

I think there's not. I can't bomb hangars and reduce plane capacity. I can't bomb parked planes and reduce amount of planes.

Sorry for suggesting that if you mind that. 

27 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I can't bomb hangars and reduce plane capacity. I can't bomb parked planes and reduce amount of planes.

Having these is stepping to the area where you start to alienate casual players. It's a 24/7 server anyway, so I think it's better to keep things leaning to the casual side. Proper online wars can then have the kind of mechanics you suggested.

Some tweaks to planesets to get some balance for sets 1-4, and removed set 10.

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/static/img/RPSObsoletingAllies.png

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/static/img/RPSObsoletingAxis.png

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Having these is stepping to the area where you start to alienate casual players. It's a 24/7 server anyway, so I think it's better to keep things leaning to the casual side. Proper online wars can then have the kind of mechanics you suggested.

hi, @LLv34_Temuri  Love your server!  Just as a commentary - if that's the position you guys are taking then can you at least institute a rule to not strafe/kill planes on the ground at the active AF's (similar to CombatBox)?  It brings nothing to the opposing force other than a pure pleasure of destroying something defenseless. I understand your server is without rules, but if there's a 'casual player' angle behind it all then this type of allowed activity seems a bit strange. It's especially evident with the temporary airfields where there's no AA and very little warning (1-2 seconds) of the incoming enemy plane. I don't mind them doing a turkey shoot after I take off but hitting people on the ground just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Didney_World

I think temporary fields should be vulchable, and all other fields should have the same radius of protection that Combat Box is doing. As a matter of fact, Combat Box is doing something similar with their fields; where some of the more front line fields have no protection, but the rear fields are protected.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

I think temporary fields should be vulchable, and all other fields should have the same radius of protection that Combat Box is doing. As a matter of fact, Combat Box is doing something similar with their fields; where some of the more front line fields have no protection, but the rear fields are protected.

they can vulch all they want, but at least don't shoot the planes on the ground.

12 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Some tweaks to planesets to get some balance for sets 1-4, and removed set 10.

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/static/img/RPSObsoletingAllies.png

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/static/img/RPSObsoletingAxis.png

Could we have the planeset phases last a bit longer? like 4 / 5 days longer I think each phase would be more enjoyable. Also in planeset 8 isn't the K-4 supossed to be DB engine only? so it's in line with the P-51/Spit/Tempest  that don't have 150 oct / Sabre IIB

Well I find it perfect as it is when it comes to the planeset duration, it brings more variety.

On 3/19/2016 at 1:34 PM, LLv34_Untamo said:

S!

Statistics page now available at:
http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/

Hi. How can I restore my password on the statistics page? If I try to log in, it tells me that the email is not correct and if I try to register it tells me that the name is already occupied.
Therefore I do not know and the password that I am trying to use is incorrect

thank you

3 hours ago, -=PHX=-Rudull said:

Hi. How can I restore my password on the statistics page? If I try to log in, it tells me that the email is not correct and if I try to register it tells me that the name is already occupied.
Therefore I do not know and the password that I am trying to use is incorrect

thank you

"Ts3.." is  the old address, use "stats.virtualpilots.fi". If the pass doesn't work we can restore it for you.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Also in planeset 8 isn't the K-4 supossed to be DB engine only?

There's no DC engine in any of the sets. So DB only. So if there's DC engine available, let me know.

7 hours ago, Didney_World said:

It brings nothing to the opposing force other than a pure pleasure of destroying something defenseless.

It also does affect the frontline move, so it's better to pick an airfield that doesn't show it's under attack and spawn there.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 1

On 9/21/2020 at 6:34 AM, LLv34_Untamo said:

Time permitting, I will write a stats system of our own some day. But that might be a long way away....

Count me in if you need support from getting the log files entry transferred into the database inserts that later on you can do whatever you want... I can do that 😄

8 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

It also does affect the frontline move

how does it affect the frontline move? The enemy just turkey shoots the players on the ground... The planes can be resupplied from the back just as easily. There are no defenses being destroyed, no depots. Just pounding any freshly spawned player on the temp airfields. They can wait for the plane to start up and take off and then pounce on him - it'll be exactly the same result... What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Didney_World said:

how does it affect the frontline move? The enemy just turkey shoots the players on the ground... The planes can be resupplied from the back just as easily. There are no defenses being destroyed, no depots. Just pounding any freshly spawned player on the temp airfields. They can wait for the plane to start up and take off and then pounce on him - it'll be exactly the same result... What am I missing?

Every destroyed plane affects the frontline move. It’s therefore advisable to check the spawn point to see if enemies are nearby before spawning.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Every destroyed plane affects the frontline move. It’s therefore advisable to check the spawn point to see if enemies are nearby before spawning.

ok, fair enough. Thank you for answering my questions, @LLv34_Temuri

12 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

U2 on ground.png

Yep, been there also many times.

I don't have anything agains attacking AF's in general, in fact my wet dream is to drop 500kg bomb in the middle of half of dozen bombers preparing to take-off but when somebody is using the most advanced plane in the game, for stalking planes just getting airborne or even worse, shooting at a plane when the pilot is still waiting on the map view to get into cockpit...that's just sad.

15 hours ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

"Ts3.." is  the old address, use "stats.virtualpilots.fi". If the pass doesn't work we can restore it for you.

thanks for answering. Unfortunately I could not login, can you help me by resetting the password?
I would guarantee a lot
regards,

Temporary north-east was camped the whole last map yep.

While on landing I'm checking the map: base is clear, then 30 sec later my mate is calling me about two contacts on it.

And I get B&Z by two 262s at the exact same time..

That's just sad, especially when you are flying the 262. 🙄 

Edited by Winterz

1 hour ago, Winterz said:

Temporary north-east was camped the whole last map yep.

While on landing I'm checking the map: base is clear, then 30 sec later my mate is calling me about two contacts on it.

And I get B&Z by two 262s at the exact same time..

That's just sad, especially when you are flying the 262. 🙄 

It happens.  My last flight was a supply flight to open a temporary AF 15km from a friendly train and industrial area that was under attack.  I had to sneak past a prowling 190 and a couple of 110s to get to the AF.  Then, I had to drop full flaps and airbrakes on my Pe-2 and do a very short landing before somebody noticed I was sitting right in the middle of the aerodrome field. 

I get it that this is not a full "anything goes" server but, I also think that sometimes you have to suck it up and either adapt or fight back.  Aaaaannd yes, even though 262s are hard to catch (and the lowest risk option of either side for stat padding), they're not 100% God Mode. They can be avoided or hunted down.  

• Upvote 1

This is pretty much a general problem with dogfight servers. They are to flight sims as what Fortnite is to FPS.  SEOW is the real thing. (By the way the 262 looks majestic in that picture. It gives the phrase "air superiority" a whole new meaning.)

about planetset i suggest Il2 1942 for more maps , for many of us is better weapon than il2-1943  :)

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

It happens.  My last flight was a supply flight to open a temporary AF 15km from a friendly train and industrial area that was under attack.  I had to sneak past a prowling 190 and a couple of 110s to get to the AF.  Then, I had to drop full flaps and airbrakes on my Pe-2 and do a very short landing before somebody noticed I was sitting right in the middle of the aerodrome field. 

I get it that this is not a full "anything goes" server but, I also think that sometimes you have to suck it up and either adapt or fight back.  Aaaaannd yes, even though 262s are hard to catch (and the lowest risk option of either side for stat padding), they're not 100% God Mode. They can be avoided or hunted down.  

Of course you have to adapt. I was just saying it was one hell of a sad way to fly the best german bird in the game.

Btw there should be two 262 max in my opinion in planeset 9. There was 5 or even 6 the other day. My two cents.

34 minutes ago, Winterz said:

There was 5 or even 6 the other day. My two cents.

Two per rear airfield, so 4 initially, with a renewal time of 2h. So if the mission runs long, then there can be more in the air, if none have been broken. But if all land, then there will be 4 again, as the rear airfields cannot have more than 2 each.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:16 PM, 315_R2r said:

I am really not surprised you do not understand the comment 😄 Why you should bother for the balancing the game for both side when your side is superior...

When it comes to the historical accuracy of the flight model and the damage model all is fine, but when it comes to the historical accuracy of the numbers some how the understanding of plain facts is limited... :)

Let instead of Tiger play PZIII against KV-1 or IS tank... Would you? Or have your Tiger, but without any air cover facing 3 P38 with rockets and bombs... Would it be historically accurate...

As a gamer I would say you would never pick the weaker side since looks like you picking the stronger one.... And let the opponent have their problems while you don't have any.

You don't have problem with Ju52 on both side for the paradroops do you? But when one side have the jet when another one does not than it is ok for you right?

Somehow you don't get the point. The German Panzer have been superiour to their opponents, at least if it comes to the later versions. Of course, they have been encountered by the sheer mass of Shermans etc. and the air superiority of the Allies. If you sit in a Tiger, you should be afraid of the allied air forces, not so much by their tanks.  So, as a player I don't want to play against another Tiger, give me T34 or KV1 or whatever as opponent. This is in sink with the historic combat situation. I agree that the availability of tigers should be limited, this would adopt the situation to the reality in WW II. Fair enough. But if you in your T 34 encounter a Tiger and you don't have a tactical advantage or air support you are in a bad shape, because this was the combat reality.  Just have a look on the statistics if it comes to one to one combat without air or artillery support.  I'm going back to my first argument: We are playing a historical simulation with the pros and cons of the equipment. This is the fun of the game, don't ruin it because you want it all equal. If you want a fair play you better play chess.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 13/JG5Luck said:

Somehow you don't get the point. The German Panzer have been superiour to their opponents, at least if it comes to the later versions. Of course, they have been encountered by the sheer mass of Shermans etc. and the air superiority of the Allies. If you sit in a Tiger, you should be afraid of the allied air forces, not so much by their tanks.  So, as a player I don't want to play against another Tiger, give me T34 or KV1 or whatever as opponent. This is in sink with the historic combat situation. I agree that the availability of tigers should be limited, this would adopt the situation to the reality in WW II. Fair enough. But if you in your T 34 encounter a Tiger and you don't have a tactical advantage or air support you are in a bad shape, because this was the combat reality.  Just have a look on the statistics if it comes to one to one combat without air or artillery support.  I'm going back to my first argument: We are playing a historical simulation with the pros and cons of the equipment. This is the fun of the game, don't ruin it because you want it all equal. If you want a fair play you better play chess.

... dude this is front created by Finish guys for multiplayer game - as such I would say it should be balanced for both of sides, as close as possible... Otherwise you will have situation as you have right now - more blue players then red players. You want to have some opponent in the game in multiplayer, give them some equal chances...

If you do not understand that than go play single player game with AI ....

@LLv34_Temuri @LLv34_Untamo

Please make for some limited time - 2-3 months - a bias for red, really, really good one - like tempest vs bf-109 E7 for example just to show the point to guys like @13/JG5Luck

Would like to see the arguments then...

If this should be 'in sink' with historic combat situation make it like limited number of blue players, 1 blue - 2 red or 3 red, like historically it has been... Don't allow the number along with planes/tank sets advantage...

While speaking of the Panzer, I don't see in the game KV-2 - would like to see you in the PZIII vs KV-2...

Make it also historical, allow the Tigers back in the game, but limit the number of players - I think 5:1 on the west front was more less the ratio ....

'We are playing a historical simulation with the pros and cons of the equipment.' Somehow again you forget that historically that the number did not favour blue, even on the east front in the beginning of 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa

2,770–5,369 aircraft vs 7,133–9,100 aircraft

3,350–3,795 tanks vs 11,000 tanks

'If you want a fair play you better play chess.' - does it admit that you don't allow fair play and are not for it? Good to know, shows your character....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 315_R2r said:

more blue players then red players

This is not true.

Capture.PNG.4a2f6195bb7374e5438a0054316d66b7.PNG

If there would be, then the difference would be much greater.

At this very moment, there is 11 reds  vs. 4 blues. And this is very much a trend on our server, a red day shift, and blue night shift. And as the mission/map on our server isn't won by what happens during one hour, or even a day, a momentary imbalance is irrelevant.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

19 hours ago, HRc_Tumu said:

about planetset i suggest Il2 1942 for more maps , for many of us is better weapon than il2-1943  :)

Yeah, maybe one in one more set.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 13/JG5Luck said:

If you want a fair play you better play chess.

And just the remark, since I understand you don't want the fair play - in that case you should not mind any changes in favor of red players, since it should not trouble you ... So why you are so much against them? 😄

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

This is not true.

Capture.PNG.4a2f6195bb7374e5438a0054316d66b7.PNG

If there would be, then the difference would be much greater.

At this very moment, there is 11 reds  vs. 4 blues. And this is very much a trend on our server, a red day shift, and blue night shift. And as the mission/map on our server isn't won by what happens during one hour, or even a day, a momentary imbalance is irrelevant.

that's one way to look at it. However, the complaints are about the actual gameplay imbalance. Even if the average number of players is equal on both sides, the actual gameplay on the server is always unbalanced. There's no point in fighting for the underdog because I can always wait for when my side gets higher number of players and then engage the enemy.

I understand it's not an easy problem to solve, but brushing it off using a simple average doesn't address the problem in any way.

edit:  if you do have the night/day shift statistics then maybe you can arrange the planeset or the maps in a way that's beneficial for the members of the larger team  to join the opposing low numbered force simply because they have better planes?   just spitballing here.. or provide more or less AA coverage..  The point being that there must be some sort of an incentive...

Edited by Didney_World
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Didney_World said:

but brushing it off using a simple average doesn't address the problem in any way.

The way I see it: there is no problem. You'll have to define the problem to me. What gameplay imbalance?

There's no point in fighting for the underdog

False. Defending objectives can be achieved, and even ground attacking at these times does affect the opposing side even if you do less damage than the enemy does to you. The frontline advance is proportionate to the health of each side at the end of each mission. And as said, the mission is won over days/weeks, not at the particular moment that there is a team imbalance.

The point being that there must be some sort of an incentive...

Why? Why "must" there be?

We won't force players to any particular side, we won't even give an incentive because THAT would be unfair. We provide a sandbox, and it is your freedom as players to do as you please.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

S!

Ok, now we have haze on the server. Initial test value being 0.3 (in a scale from 0.0 to 1.0). Also, the map winning objectives in the briefing and chat info messages now have the grid numbers for convenience.

RULE UPDATE:

The use of the votekick/ban system is now forbidden. We don't want mob rule on our server, as it has become apparent that there have been incidents where someone has been votekicked for doing something that is allowed on our server. This behaviour is now forbidden, and is automatically enforced.

If someone uses the votekick feature, there will be ONE warning, for everyone. One only. Subsequent uses will result in punishment (kicks, and if you have history of previous punishments -> ban, lenght depending on, again, amount of previous incursions).

If you have something to report about a player behaviour, do it directly to us, here on forums using PM, on Discord (PM), or using the mail address: gameserver (at) virtualpilots (dot) fi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3