LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Well, there is only 1 Loadout available right now with PTABs, and that's the 192 PTABs (not 240 even). You also can't take 23s or 37s, or Rockets. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

Well, there is only 1 Loadout available right now with PTABs, and that's the 192 PTABs (not 240 even). You also can't take 23s or 37s, or Rockets. 

From the next mission rotation, all should be available.

S!

Server is now running under the ever watchful eye of the WatchDog ;) ... If the Java command software detects that the DServer has stopped writing mission logs, then it signals the WatchDog to restart everything. Also, if the WatchDog notices that the DServer (or the Java commander) crashes, it also restarts everything.

Of course, if you happen to be on the server, you will be thrown out, but the server will be back up in couple of minutes (instead of maybe hours when we did it manually).

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 2

Flew last night, seemed to be working well and studders less of an issue to. 

Now about my lawn darting..... )

Was also a good number of flyers online too.

I saw it reset a few times last before any adverse issues were seen but I did also see it crash like the old days (about 21:35 GMT) ie not allowing me to despawn after landing and forcing me to leave the server straight from the cockpit.  It just had to happen when I was landing a rare kill though didn't it?  :rolleyes:

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

I saw it reset a few times last before any adverse issues were seen but I did also see it crash like the old days (about 21:25 GMT) ie not allowing me to despawn after landing and forcing me to leave the server straight from the cockpit.  It just had to happen when I was landing a rare kill though didn't it?  :rolleyes:

Of course! There's special code for doing that when you have a kill! ;)

Hi

I see you have increased the number of buildings that need to be destroyed at factorys and depots, i realy like this change and i think it could be expanded even more.
Currently every AA piece is a single "point" in the "health bar" of a target, but it doesnt really make much sense that a depot that is completely destroyed except the AA guns can keep on delivering supplies to the front.
I think it would be good if AA would not count to the health of a depot or factory, because then level bombing would also become way more effective (currently its inneffective compared to CAS strikes) of course that would mean that depots need to be a bit better defended, they currently have 3 AA pieces i think thats a bit low since a single fighter can sometimes take out a whole depot. (Fw190 A5 U17 for example)
Maybe 5-6 AA pieces would be better. Just my suggestion. :)

I would agree with Bombenleger.  It is very easy for a fighter to take out all depot AA and I have even done it solo in a PE2 before closing the depot with my 500s.   I have also seen JU88s & He111s close a depot in a single pass with their huge bombload (and A20 will be the same).    Make it at least 4 'blocks' and set them further apart so it is harder to get them all then put 6 AA further out so they don't get taken out as collateral damage but don't make them compulsory targets.

S!

The thought has crossed my mind on several occasions, but been too lazy to do anything about it ;) ... I will add it to the todo list.

• Upvote 1

Added the hidden non-spawning radio beacons to the mission template, so homing should work now. I'll try to find time to to add the rolling planeset back before the weekend.

So that was it, we were wondering what that radar is doing in the middle of the forrest.

Still some airfields don't open for capture after destroying them and tied tankbase and depot/factory.

Cheers!

So that was it, we were wondering what that radar is doing in the middle of the forrest.

Still some airfields don't open for capture after destroying them and tied tankbase and depot/factory.

Cheers!

Only by winning the tank battle next to an airfield can you enable the capture. Look closely on the colored line between the airfield and the tank base. If there is color (red/blue) then there is one more step before the airfield is reached. If the line between the won tank base and the airfield was black, then the capture will be enabled.

what happened?

Before new year it was unusual to find 15 players on the server, now...

60/60? 

who has been spreading the Finn gospel? :umnik2:

(we were here before it was cool)   :cool:

what happened?

Before new year it was unusual to find 15 players on the server, now...

60/60? 

who has been spreading the Finn gospel? :umnik2:

(we were here before it was cool)   :cool:

Nah, TAW and Random Expert are on a break :)

Re,

The strutter/lags are very a problem on your server, especially when you flight heavy bomber for level bombing; all this navigation for nothing. It's pity because the concept is interesting.

Bye

Genius

The strutter/lags are very a problem on your server, especially when you flight heavy bomber for level bombing; all this navigation for nothing. It's pity because the concept is interesting.

Stutters are result of the background java application giving commands to the server. The java will send each individual command to the server three times, because we found out that sometimes a single command doesn't go through.

Edit: kill notifications are now disabled

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

Stutters are result of the background java application giving commands to the server. The java will send each individual command to the server three times, because we found out that sometimes a single command doesn't go through.

On an unrelated matter: kill notifications will be disabled once the server restarts the next time (not meaning mission rotation).

One of the big causes of stutters is someone hitting lots of small targets with one bomb drop and filling everyones text buffer with 'X has destroyed a factory/airfield target' repeated ten times.  Surely this is a bigger problem than a single 'X has killed Y' message?  Would it help to just put out a single 'X has destroyed one or more airfield targets'?   We can always look at what seems destroyed or use the '<field' command to check.

that explains it, but you know what they say, "once you've tried Finnish, you'll never go...erm...back-ish?"

well for EAF sq finnish is main server despite RE or TAW being online or not!

A BIG THANK YOU for guys running it  and improving it constantly!

Only by winning the tank battle next to an airfield can you enable the capture. Look closely on the colored line between the airfield and the tank base. If there is color (red/blue) then there is one more step before the airfield is reached. If the line between the won tank base and the airfield was black, then the capture will be enabled.

We destroyed everything when that happened (factories, depots, tankbases), however it was last airfield to capture and win the map. But nothing to cry about i just wanted to give feedback ;)

Last night i went to fly alone and i noticed AAA numbers are increased over tankbases making it suicide to even approaching it alone, it's bullet rain. Maybe too much in my opinion given AA accuracy but i won't doubt your reasons.

Keep up the good work guys and thank you again!

Last night i went to fly alone and i noticed AAA numbers are increased over tankbases making it suicide to even approaching it alone, it's bullet rain. Maybe too much in my opinion given AA accuracy but i won't doubt your reasons.

Nope, haven't touched the amount of AAA over tank bases, it's the same as it's always been :)

One of the big causes of stutters is someone hitting lots of small targets with one bomb drop and filling everyones text buffer with 'X has destroyed a factory/airfield target' repeated ten times.  Surely this is a bigger problem than a single 'X has killed Y' message?  Would it help to just put out a single 'X has destroyed one or more airfield targets'?   We can always look at what seems destroyed or use the '<field' command to check.

Disabling kill notifications includes disabling them for ground object kills too. We have no more control of the builtin kill notification messages than that.

For me the stutters aren't because of the messages. It might seem they are, because many times when e.g. a depot is destroyed you first got the kill messages and then the java reacting and closing the depot. But let's see how it is now, I might be wrong.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

Nope, haven't touched the amount of AAA over tank bases, it's the same as it's always been :)

Than i didn't attack tankbases for a quite some time!

Well i need to get back in shape again against those AAA.

Removed separate attack commands from the AAA objects

sorry for novice question but how will this affect AAA behaviour?

sorry for novice question but how will this affect AAA behaviour?

To be honest: no idea :)

We hope that by not giving a specific attack air command (with the attack area defined) would result in less load for the server, while still having the AAA fire at enemies (i.e. doing what they're supposed to do without someone telling them).

Noticed you reduced max players. And unless it was some other change I think it helped!

The Java script stutters are one thing but what has bothered me more has been the general 'lagginess'. And my ping is only ~40.

Was chasing a190 for a while yesterday. Every time he did a fast roll he was also rubberbanding a few meters in a random direction. It's this issue I think has improved considerably with less max players. And yes This guy in particular was likely on a bad connection. Yet I seem to notice this "lag" happens more here than on other popular servers.

As always, server is great fun. Keep it up! Also happy the rpk works flawlessly now.

Edited by a_radek

Hi ya,

Seemed smoother tonight but the server crashed a couple of times.  Also hard to know visually what damage has been done over depots from looking at the ground carnage but it seemed efforts closed them down.  Just a matter of bug hunting to keep it up and running.

AA over depots seemed non existent, not that I am complaining )

Seemed smoother tonight but the server crashed a couple of times.  Also hard to know visually what damage has been done over depots from looking at the ground carnage but it seemed efforts closed them down.

Had two sorties in the early evening, and didn't experience warping, but I think player numbers were not close to max at that time. AAA at tank bases seemed to be behaving like they did before.

You can use the <field command to get info about depot state. That being said, I need to go through each depot with a railway station and change the generic ("food stores" etc.) name of the railway station block to "railway station".

Just a heads up on a possible bug in case someone else reports it too.   Last night at around 21:30 GMT I got shot down and had to crash land after attacking an airfield and having to fight my way out again. When I despawned I was told I had got a kill but the stats today show no kill and no big hits on anyone.

It was all a bit of a disaster. My squad had been capping a depot but never saw any enemy so we decided to make a single low fast pass over Ghatsk airfield and keep going just because it was near our route home and we thought it would be fun  :rolleyes:   We thought that as long as we just shot at anything in front of us and kept going without slowing down then we would probably get away before anyone could react but It did not work out very well for us because we were unlucky enough to arrive just as 6 enemy fighters were already above the field. They could dive on us with more E before we could get away and we lost three of ours  :unsure:    I shot up a parked plane as I passed and made a few snapshots at attacking fighters that passed my nose but kept heading North and dodging. It was to no avail as someone managed to set me on fire and I had to put it down and get out.  I was surprised to see I had a kill but it was not impossible as I had shot at two or three.

Just a heads up on a possible bug in case someone else reports it too.   Last night at around 21:30 GMT I got shot down and had to crash land after attacking an airfield and having to fight my way out again. When I despawned I was told I had got a kill but the stats today show no kill and no big hits on anyone.

It was all a bit of a disaster. My squad had been capping a depot but never saw any enemy so we decided to make a single low fast pass over Ghatsk airfield and keep going just because it was near our route home and we thought it would be fun  :rolleyes:   We thought that as long as we just shot at anything in front of us and kept going without slowing down then we would probably get away before anyone could react but It did not work out very well for us because we were unlucky enough to arrive just as 6 enemy fighters were already above the field. They could dive on us with more E before we could get away and we lost three of ours  :unsure:    I shot up a parked plane as I passed and made a few snapshots at attacking fighters that passed my nose but kept heading North and dodging. It was to no avail as someone managed to set me on fire and I had to put it down and get out.  I was surprised to see I had a kill but it was not impossible as I had shot at two or three.

Well, what the in-game mission result shows and what is written in the mission log (which the stats then process) have been seen to differ somewhat. As in, many times, I've been "destroyed" according to the chat message, but then landed the plane with "100% in service" mission result, and the guy that shot me, got a kill of me according to in-game result. And according to the stats, he didn't. So... it's a bit fuzzy :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Can you tell us what we are doing wrong cos we destroy tank bases, depots and airfield and there is no message or option to capture airfield, airfield is white but no ability to capture it. It is case almost every time.

Two tank bases and two tied depots destroyed and airfield destroyed, still nothing, it is frustrating!

While axis destroy one tankbase and tied airfield and capture it without problem, even without destroying tied depot.

We tried the same thing and no go, airfield repairs in minutes.

Thanks!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Well, I've explained it in the server description, and many times over here in the discussion. But here goes again:
Airfield capture is enabled by winning the tank battle that is right next to the airfield. There can be many tank bases between the tank base you see in the mission and the airfield you want to capture. You just can't see them (so well) in the mission. See the http://il2missionplanner.com/#virtualpilotsfi map to see exactly how many steps there are.

You can see them in-game also, just not so well. Look for the lines between the tank base and the airfield. If there is a black line going straight from the tank base to the airfield, it will be the one that enables the capture. But if you see color (blue/red) line between them, there is more battles to be fought before you reach the field. Every angle and crossroad in the line is a tank base (that isn't in the current mission).

Every time you win a tank battle, the battle advances to the next (until you reach the airfield). If you advanced next to the airfield in this mission, in next mission rotation you might be able to be capture it, if there is a tank battle next to it. There might not be, because there are lots of active combat zones along the border, and only 3 (current setting) are picked to the mission randomly. When all tank battles have been resolved in one mission, the mission is rotated to give you the next battles.

To see where the repair is coming to an object (be it on airfield, tank base or depot), use the "<field" command. It will tell you the current respawn times of the objects and what depot / factory is the closest, as in, what repairs it. For example, Ghatsk airfield has alias of "f1", so the command would be "<field f1".

Edited by LLv34_Untamo