LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

I will finish our own stats system once the game starts producing the necessary log entries... which I hope happens in some not so distant future :)

Thanks at least for looking into it, Untamo. :salute:

I really hope that the log entries for some of these other activities (cargo supply, paratroops, canister drops, etc.) get created for the game soon.

It would be really good to recognise some of the support and auxiliary roles on the servers.

Hi.

EAF normally flies for the VVS on this server, but we decided to switch to LW in December.

Today we knocked out the two remaining factories and  destroyed Ryabinky airfield as it was open for attack.

But the field never opened for capture even though ALL air fields are in a motti. Even the ones not available for spawn?

I also noticed that the fa10 factory never desplayed as destoyed, 

I think something is wrong with the server. Also it still has October as the current month on your stats page.

Any thoughts? You have a GREAT a great server and I hope you're able to fix this soon.

Best regards,

Apollo, EAF Squadron.

There's a bug in the motti logic, which needs some tuning. To resolve the current situation, we reset the map (and gave the reds a victory, as it was quite clear situation).

Is it possible to get rid of the techno messages about airfields in Motti. It causes tremendous stutters for me and my squadmates and goes on for several minutes.  We are usually making attack runs during this and it really makes flying and aiming difficult. Are they really that neccessary?

Sorry for only bringing up negatives. Besides this, your server is superb.

Kiitos!

Apollo

Is it possible to get rid of the techno messages about airfields in Motti. It causes tremendous stutters for me and my squadmates and goes on for several minutes.  We are usually making attack runs during this and it really makes flying and aiming difficult. Are they really that neccessary?

This will most likely be alleviated when I find and crush the current motti logic bug. But we will check if there is a way to tone them down when the motti is formed. Now it is formed too easily, that is the essence of this bug. Also, the messages shouldn't loop, they should only come once. This I must also investigate.

Sorry for only bringing up negatives. Besides this, your server is superb.

We need your feedback to improve the server and find bugs :) ... As long as it is constructive, it is very much welcomed :)

We need your feedback to improve the server and find bugs :) ... As long as it is constructive, it is very much welcomed :)

Brilliant!  In that case I want  to be able to drive one of the Tank Base tanks myself so I can go to their nearest airbase and cause havoc until they take me out ;-)   Just kidding.

Brilliant!  In that case I want  to be able to drive one of the Tank Base tanks myself so I can go to their nearest airbase and cause havoc until they take me out ;-)   Just kidding.

We had this some time ago. If the player controlled tanks were a bit more even, we'd still have it. Let's wait to see what the Tank Crew thing brings along :)

S!

We are now uploading a new version in. The motti logic is a bit watered down now, it doesn't automatically resolve the tank battles to the side that made the encirclement. The airfields / depots / tank bases that are in a motti, have infinite respawn times for their objects, so they are pretty easy to run over :)

S!

We are now uploading a new version in. The motti logic is a bit watered down now, it doesn't automatically resolve the tank battles to the side that made the encirclement. The airfields / depots / tank bases that are in a motti, have infinite respawn times for their objects, so they are pretty easy to run over :)

I suppose that also means that the enemy can 'Rescue' it before you manage to capture it which is also realistic (otherwise there would be no Seige Of Leningrad :-) )

We had this some time ago. If the player controlled tanks were a bit more even, we'd still have it. Let's wait to see what the Tank Crew thing brings along :)

With Tank Crew the most even matchup would be KV-1S vs Panzer IV Ausf G.

In Motti is killing us  :rolleyes:

Just before the map was reset yesterday, we where hit with stutter again.

One of our guys (Ribbon) found out that by disabling the message overlay ('H'-key) the stutter where lowered.

It seems that the constant messages from the server about the Motti (pincer-movement/situation) is creating this pain.

I was wondering if you could reduce the pain by replacing the message for all the airfields by ONE message "Check Map - Airfield(s) are in Motti", which would appear with a lower frequency???

Chat messages were only a part of what is going on. The java app calls server inputs in the mission. Anyway, there shouldn’t be those messages anymore. Let’s see how people like the current system. Ideas about what should happen with a motti are still welcome.

Do we need any message?  If I understand your changes correctly,  something that has been surrounded no longer has any resupply.  That would seem obvious just by looking at the map,  It can't be getting supplies if it is surrounded by enemies.   

When VVS gets a LI-3 it would be cool if a JU52 or LI-2 could drop supplies :-)  Here is a crazy idea which only you would know is possible :-  Is it possible to somehow intercept the message saying a person has just bombed a friendly target and interpret it as saying they have just dropped supplies?   For example, My airfield is surrounded but I drop a 100kq bomb on the hangar (which is not enough to destroy one I believe)  If that generates something in the server feed that is recognisable as 'X has dropped a 100kg bomb on friendly target' then treat it as resupply. That way we don't have to wait for 1C to make an Li-3 to allow VVS paradrops.  If a 100kg bomb is too big then maybe a IL2-43m can drop PTABS because in my experience they do nothing to building.    As I said,  that might all be impossible and the game just does not work that way :-)

Today we destroyed all factories and depo's but no motti appeard, and airfields can't be locked.

Keep up the good work guys and thank you.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Do we need any message?  If I understand your changes correctly,  something that has been surrounded no longer has any resupply.  That would seem obvious just by looking at the map,  It can't be getting supplies if it is surrounded by enemies.   

When VVS gets a LI-3 it would be cool if a JU52 or LI-2 could drop supplies :-)  Here is a crazy idea which only you would know is possible :-  Is it possible to somehow intercept the message saying a person has just bombed a friendly target and interpret it as saying they have just dropped supplies?   For example, My airfield is surrounded but I drop a 100kq bomb on the hangar (which is not enough to destroy one I believe)  If that generates something in the server feed that is recognisable as 'X has dropped a 100kg bomb on friendly target' then treat it as resupply. That way we don't have to wait for 1C to make an Li-3 to allow VVS paradrops.  If a 100kg bomb is too big then maybe a IL2-43m can drop PTABS because in my experience they do nothing to building.    As I said,  that might all be impossible and the game just does not work that way :-)

Yes, we probably would have implemented supply drops for tank bases if also the Russian side had a transport plane.

We can't intercept the messages, but we could have the java interpret that as a supply drop. Trouble is that if you happen to kill friendly objects with bombs, you'll get a teamkill entry and warning, and we really don't want to disable the TK detection.

Yes, we probably would have implemented supply drops for tank bases if also the Russian side had a transport plane.

We can't intercept the messages, but we could have the java interpret that as a supply drop. Trouble is that if you happen to kill friendly objects with bombs, you'll get a teamkill entry and warning, and we really don't want to disable the TK detection.

I was wondering though if you can put an exception in the TK detection.  Something like 'If a VVS pilot hits a VVS target then flag as TK *except* when a VVS 100kg bomb hits a VVS building." (same for LW)    Obviously that is very crude.  It would be better if there was some sort of 'harmless bomb' available which was why I also mentioned the PTABs as when I tried those on a hangar they appeared to do nothing at all. Unfortunately even if PTABs did work there is no equivalent for LW and it is not fair to make LW use a poorly defended JU52 while the VVS has an IL2.    I could put something in the suggestions tab asking 1C to give us a 'Cargo/Leaflet Bomb' but we would probably have the Li-2 before they did that :-)

I could put something in the suggestions tab asking 1C to give us a 'Cargo/Leaflet Bomb' but we would probably have the Li-2 before they did that :-)

I'd also rather _have_ the Li-2 :)

Ive been having trouble connecting to the server lately, with the classic load screen and then kicked back to main menu. Anyone else?

Ive been having trouble connecting to the server lately, with the classic load screen and then kicked back to main menu. Anyone else?

You posted a minute later than I got an email from the server saying it had jammed. Restarted, and it jammed again 10min ago. Now restarted gain.

I'll have to write some sort of watchdog for the server that automagically kicks the damn server up when needed.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

No idea why the frequency has tightened... But we have a pretty good guess what causes it. RCON... but it is also the lifeline of the system. We cannot have this system without it. Well, if we would make it without RCON, it would be much much less dynamic. More like TAW. Not to say there's anything bad in TAW :)

I did some bombing today, in a He 111, and while I did kill quite a few Soviets, I also accidentally bombed a few friendly positions.

Friendly ground troops should fire a flare if they see you coming.

As an aside, can there be troops at the frontline? It currently seems very empty, there are miles without anything on the ground. I think you should add AT and MG positions, those odd outpost things from the career with 2 tanks and an AA piece, and artillery.

Then, you could link them to form a frontline, which needs to be moved to win. Currently, you win by capturing airfields, which is extremely hard to do without a team, and is rather unrealistic. However, it would make more sense if the winning and losing was solely linked to the ground troops, and the capturing of airfields done by tanks rolling onto the field in question. That way, the front would constantly seem alive. And for the ground attack pilots who just want to shoot up sone tanks, you should have random tank attacks, if not on the main bases, then on some of the frontline holding units(for example, 8 ATs and 4 MGs being attacked by 10 T-34s or 15 Panzer IIIs). That way, he can just fly out and attack the tanks. Instead of worrying when your airvases start the fall, you should start to worry when the enemy front line comes closer and closer to Moscow.

As to the supplies, for the Germans at least, can there be a few groups of German tanks out in the wilderness, that, when having supplies dropped to, will start their attack? Units often outran their supplies, and the Luftwaffe would drop supplies to them.

Edited by hames123

S!

It is indeed hard, but can be done even alone. I have tested this many times to be possible. This can be done with Bf110 and Il-2 atleast. First take out the flak, then bomb the buildings (50kg destroys a hangar if you get it to fly in through the doors), then shoot rest of the soft targets. Field is closed. Then go and fetch the paratroopers :)

We're not ready to give up the airfield capturing quite easily. It was the original WarBirds system that inspired us to make this server, and the basic premise was airfield capturing.

This is strange, server hasn't crashed for one full day. Maybe it's because I put another instance running on the same computer, and they are leaning on one another :D

all red factories and depots where taken out this afternoon, but no motti! 

Have this been disabled?

Altered, not disabled:

Added the hidden non-spawning radio beacons to the mission template, so homing should work now. I'll try to find time to to add the rolling planeset back before the weekend.

S!

Did some tuning. Now there are 3 tank battles, and max 1 factory and max 2 depots per side per mission. We also limited the players to 60. Let's see how these changes effect the lag/warping we have been seeing on the server.

Also, as we decreased the max player number, we also enabled the idle kick automation to ensure that no one is left out because of idlers. Idle limit is 10min, so you can start the engines, and go grab a beer while waiting with no worries :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 1

Added the hidden non-spawning radio beacons to the mission template, so homing should work now.

Indeed, homing does work now.

S!

Small update:

Now destroying factories and depots shouldn't be as easy as it was. Before, destroying only one building in a factory block would count the whole block as destroyed. So, even one 50kg bomb could destroy a whole factory block.

We now parse the logs more precisely, so we get the damage on individual buildings in a factory block (there can be up to ~20 in one block). You now have to destroy more than 50% of the block (sub)objects to destroy the whole block.

Oh, and there was still some bug in the tank base reversing rule. Now shouldn't reverse anymore without reason.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

It's is hard described my admiration for the work you do on this server.

Thanks Guys.

Edited by EAF_Starfire
  • Upvote 1

Oh, and one more thing, the tank base selection should be totally random, but there was a slight bug in the selection code, which caused selection to have a bit of a bias to the south. That was also fixed.

I have to second what Starfire said.

Thanks for providing a challenging server. We've seen and had some good long fights and hard won victories.

Great work gents!

• Upvote 1

I cant connect to the server anymore. Was able to to play a bit tonight but after a landing the start button was greyed out so I decided to rejoin but no luck I get sent back to main menu each time I tried to connect.