LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

I cant connect to the server anymore. Was able to to play a bit tonight but after a landing the start button was greyed out so I decided to rejoin but no luck I get sent back to main menu each time I tried to connect.

Restarting

Congratulations to your great server.
Two things, however, displease me totally.
1. Radar Guidet Flak Level.
2. Destroyed Flak pops up new after 30 minutes.

Sorry but this is totaly Bullshit!!!!!

Edited by 1./JG42flesch

Two things, however, displease me totally.

1. Flak AI is set to "normal". Can't really lower it to "Low" as it will hit nothing never ever then.

2. Destroyed objects being repaired is intended to work like this. Use the "<field" command to check info about the airfield/tank base/depot you are attacking. You'll see where the target gets it's supply from and also see the interval at which objects respawn. Then, if you think the time is too low, go and destroy the place where the supply comes from. -> Supply is taken from a longer distance -> Longer time to repair flak etc.

• Upvote 1

Umm... no :) ... Go over any flak position, roll sideways and pull on stick, none will hit you. You can stay there forever. But if you fly in a straight line for a second -> boom. Lesson: don't fly in a straight line.

For attacking tank bases, I personally go with big bombs, 500-1000kg, and just lob them from high alt in the middle of the flak. This usually takes out a few of them. Then use spiraling attacks to destroy the rest.

Video instructions for the spiral attack:

https://youtu.be/-fyRPI3WuDc?t=70

Please read the server description. If there is a depot / factory close by, the respawn times will be short. If the enemy depot is 3 steps away, the respawn time will be 30min, 5 steps -> 50min etc... Valid tactic is to first get rid of the supplying depot, and then attack the actual target.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 1

1. Flak AI is set to "normal". Can't really lower it to "Low" as it will hit nothing never ever then.

I think you're wrong (you're not alone), it has been checked out. Please read this discussion:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32578-bravery-being-out-range/

I very much hope you adapt your server settings. It's not flying a simulation if the server settings force me to handle my planes in a certain gaming style just to avoid the killer AAA. Even when set to "low" the light AA is more dangerous than the numbers from reports and history suggest. Please re-think your settings.

Yup, this topic has been done 10000x times now. Beating a dead horse and all that. As said, I use myself as a measuring stick on the server, and I can do all the stuff necessary to get the border moving ALONE.

And with a wingman it's ridiculously easy. One guy drags flak, others can pick them off with no danger to themselves.

Please, end the whining, train the necessary tactics and go kill some flak :)

It's not flying a simulation if the server settings force me to handle my planes in a certain gaming style just to avoid the killer AAA.

Gaming style? It isn't a gaming style, it's a SKILL, a skill that can be learned. If you are unwilling to learn, then we cannot help you.

• Upvote 2

And with a wingman it's ridiculously easy. One guy drags flak, others can pick them off with no danger to themselves.

Please, end the whining, train the necessary tactics and go kill some flak :)

Killing AAA is a two man job (or more). Calling it ridiculous easy might be an overstatement of the year :rolleyes: . But essentially Untamo is right.

It does require a lot of verbal communication and timing is critical. I have also seen some AAA change target, while others persist on their current target.

There are some merit to 1./JG42flesch remark of AAA respawn time, especially I you are on a long range sortie against a factory.

A sortie of that kind have sortie time of a 45 min, which make it 6+ man job or more. With the newer and better more realistic damage model to factories (more building needs to be destroyed), this makes the AAA re-spawn time a headache to say at least. The real gamechanger when it comes to factories are that they are often placed near an airfield with RADAR. A RADAR which spawn so fast that destroying it is not worth it. People like "013" and Nil_Ubist like to lurke or jump there to get some easy kills as the RADAR is a large force multiplier. 

My suggestion is to get rid of the RADAR's and increase raspawn time for AAA.

According to http://www.gyges.dk/, RADARS on the eastern front was almost non-existent.

1./JG42flesch are in error when it comes to radar guided AAA. This have nothing to do with this server. This problem is due to a build in flaw in the game and people have already been requesting this to be fixed over at the "Suggestion to developers" - Thread.

Killing AAA is a two man job (or more). Calling it ridiculous easy might be an overstatement of the year :rolleyes: ...

No, I'm not backing down on that :) ...  I have been meaning to make a video about this a long time, but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe we finally should...

Yep, I will take it as my next task to make a vid where I do it alone and another with a wingman.

There are some merit to 1./JG42flesch remark of AAA respawn time, especially I you are on a long range sortie against a factory.

A sortie of that kind have sortie time of a 45 min, which make it 6+ man job or more. With the newer and better more realistic damage model to factories (more building needs to be destroyed), this makes the AAA re-spawn time a headache to say at least. The real gamechanger when it comes to factories are that they are often placed near an airfield with RADAR. A RADAR which spawn so fast that destroying it is not worth it. People like "013" and Nil_Ubist

like to lurke or jump there to get some easy kills as the RADAR is a large force multiplier.

Factory objects (including AAA) have 48h respawn times (IIRC). If there is an airfield next to the factory, it will have 10min respawn times. It is true that the radar is a big force multiplier, but also it can and should be destroyed to negate this. But you are correct, I hadn't thought of the short respawn time for the factory airfield's radar... We might adjust this.

My suggestion is to get rid of the RADAR's and increase raspawn time for AAA.

According to http://www.gyges.dk/, RADARS on the eastern front was almost non-existent.

We aren't really aiming for realism/historical scenario on this server. Fun, and before all, challenging game play is the point.

The system and the level of challenge is heritage of the WarBirds scenario, seen in original WarBirds -> Aces High -> and before our server, IL-2 1946 df server called "WarBirds-FH". ...With our added twists of course.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Many thanks for working RPK10 :cool: ; brilliant!  Well done.  Great server.  Thank you for all your efforts and Merry Christmas.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

server was down about an hour ago. also has the stats page moved ? when I look at the one i've always used the last tour available to check was october

server was down about an hour ago. also has the stats page moved ? when I look at the one i've always used the last tour available to check was october

Untamo was testing the wathdog that would automatically kick the server back online after a jam.

Stats haven't moved. I just took away the resetting of stats every month setting.

Hi guys a newcomer question: is the plane availability (models) always the same or does it change?
For example is there a chance for a server with only earlier war (namely BoM) planes?

it would be nice if each full year (3 seasons or 6x6h missions) rotated plane availability from BoM to BoM+BoS to BoM+BoS+BoK and back to BoM.
I'm not sure how popular BoM is and if that would be a huge problem for players.

S!

The rolling plane set we've had on the server was ran manually by Temuri, and it was something like 5 different sets which he ran one per week... but it is in the features to be added on the java side so that we have automatically running RPS...

Hi Guys,

I tried to have a game today but I was constantly kicked from the server during the loading phase. Be keen to try this server if I can get in!

Hi Guys,

I tried to have a game today but I was constantly kicked from the server during the loading phase. Be keen to try this server if I can get in!

Server was jammed. Restarted now.

Restarted now. I set the stats to start a new tour by month change, so that’s the reason for ”reset”. You can still view old stats by selecting the Tour.

It is a small thing, but is there a way to find out the date and/or weather of the current map in game? I just like apply the correct camopaint before I spawn.

Besides that I think that this server is really fun and the people here seem to be alright as well.

It is a small thing, but is there a way to find out the date and/or weather of the current map in game? I just like apply the correct camopaint before I spawn.

Besides that I think that this server is really fun and the people here seem to be alright as well.

Look out of the hangar doors before you select your paint.

Hi,

Nice servers but many many struttering and lagging when is near full.

What is the spec. of the server ?

Bye

Genius

If you down a friendly aircraft by bomb blast, and receive a warning as a result, does it show the friendly damage or kill in the stats?

My stats show no friendly kills.  Glitch?

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Nice servers but many many struttering and lagging when is near full.

What is the spec. of the server ?

The server is a HP Proliant DL380 G7 with 2x Intel Xeon X5680s, 32GB RAM, 1000/100 optical connection, so speed isn't the problem. The intermittent stutters are caused by the dynamic aspect of the mission. Whenever the Java command software tells the server to do something, there is some small stutters. All in all though, the game's netcode is quite lacking, which causes the warping of planes when the server is nearly full.

If you down a friendly aircraft by bomb blast, and receive a warning as a result, does it show the friendly damage or kill in the stats?

My stats show no friendly kills.  Glitch?

Not sure about the stats, because it's a third party SW made by FB-Vaal. But if the mission logs contain an entry of you destroying a friendly, the java command software will warn you about it (and kick you if you repeat it).

I don't think it is necessarily net code that is the issue but that the server code isn't multi threaded at this point in time.  This needs addressing and hopefully it will down the track, sooner than later.  I also find server generated radio chatter can introduce micro studders.

Question though, do radio announcements like "bombers near your vicinity" actually give real information to the online pilot or is it more just a case of chatter for the sake of immersion?

At this point in time I only pay attention to my tail gunners messages or other players but it would be nice if flying a fighter for the ground controller to direct players to intercepts or legitimately warn them of asset attacks on the map.

The useless chatter is caused by the NBD object which looks like a shack with an antenna on top. It is what we use for the radar object. Nasty side effect is the chatter which we cannot turn off :-/

I don't think it is necessarily net code that is the issue but that the server code isn't multi threaded at this point in time.

To me it seems like syncing issue: first the java gives a serverinput command, then dserver & clients do to syncing ensure everyone is updated accrodingly. We can only guess though, and hope for improvements.

Why are the PTABs on the Il-2 43 so restricted? I really like the PTABs, but I would like to take other stuff with me as well. Given the 43 being one of my favourite Russians to fly, this is a real turnoff. 

Why are the PTABs on the Il-2 43 so restricted? I really like the PTABs, but I would like to take other stuff with me as well. Given the 43 being one of my favourite Russians to fly, this is a real turnoff. 

Umm.. they shouldn't be, Temuri will check that out.

the server just jammed and then i got kicked off, does that mean its restarting?

Yeah, it has jammed twice tonight already :( ... Some hope though: I got the watchdog working on my PC, will test it on the server maybe tomorrow.