LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Hmm.. Personal hangar PER airfield. I actually like that idea. One would need to make supply missions regularly to replenish the field he wants to operate from. Still needs to be enforced with kicks though :-/

Sounds fun but what happens if you move all your aircraft to one field and the enemy closes it?  You wont be able to fly and may as well log out.  What happens when they capture it?  Do you lose everything?    I suppose you could make all your aircraft get moved to another field automatically as soon as it is closed.   Alternatively you do lose access to your aircraft but still get access to supply aircraft so you can help recapture it or re-open it :-)  Maybe transport aircraft plus unlimited  I-16s/109E7s at a rear field.

Probably easier to make your personal hangar apply wherever you are so if you land at front line field you can still take off in that plane again from a rear field.  Either way we do it that also means that Temuri does not have to build a website like TAW uses and the players do not have to keep looking at the website before playing which I find very impractical.

Sounds fun but what happens if you move all your aircraft to one field and the enemy closes it?

You either wait for the factory to resupply an airfield, which adds planes to your personal hangar on that airfield, or you fly a supply mission to the airfield.

Or you repair the closed airfield.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

How about limiting the pilots lives per day? For example, limiting lives to 9 per day. if a player gets killed 9 times within a 24 hour period, he needs to do supply flights to replenish some lives. If a player with no lives left spawns in any other type of plane than supply, he gets chat warning and a kick after a small delay unless he despawns.

Pros:

• Virtual lives matter
  • Should be quite simple to implement
  • No need for external site to check "hangar status" as life amount could be sent to player when he spawns in or uses specific chat command.
  • Any other?

Cons:

• Chat + kick is still a bit clumsy
  • Any other?

I think this is a very interesting idea. I was wondering though if it might be be better, considering that the lives can be replenished through supply runs, to swap the  /day to /campaign. I would like those supply runs to be meaningful though, beyond personal benefit.

To clarify, if a players lives are capped at 9, and he gets low, all he has to do to top them up is to do a supply run, then it's not really too much of a hindrance. If he is in some way helping his side at the same time then I think it should be actively encouraged

Is there any provision to see Finnish running a different map?

I fear that limited lives/day will encourage chutekilling, ditched airplanes straffing and other annoying behaviors currently plaguing TAW. 

Is there any provision to see Finnish running a different map?

It was huge effort from several people (Temuri, Kippari, vvaris) to make this Moscow version. In the next version I will overhaul the mission generation system, but it still requires similar amount of work from the mission makers. So, we will have a new map, but it won't be soon.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 2

You either wait for the factory to resupply an airfield, which adds planes to your personal hangar on that airfield, or you fly a supply mission to the airfield.

Or you repair the closed airfield.

Yes but if the enemy has closed the field and it is now being capped while they are bringing in troops to capture it then flying an unarmed transport there to be killed is not going to help then when they do capture it what happens to all your aircraft there?

If I may ask, what is the logic behind the chosen airfields for each mission?

First, 3 active tank battles are chosen at random from the front line. Then the closest airfields to the tank battles are chosen. Sometimes the same airfield is closest to 2 different tank battles, so there aren't necessary 3 active airfields on both sides. 1 open factory (the one that was also selected in the previous mission) from both sides is chosen. If a factory is closed, then in the next mission the closest open factory to the first selected tank battle is selected.

How about dropping supplies to a German tank base causing an attack to be launched?

Edited by hames123

Reds can't drop supplies (yet?) though, so that'd be a weird feature to implement. But if both sides has the ability to do it, I'd be right there with you. 

Not necessarily even to initiate attacks but as a way to maybe strengthen a cut-off tank base for example which we currently have no way of doing.

/edit

First, 3 active tank battles are chosen at random from the front line. Then the closest airfields to the tank battles are chosen. Sometimes the same airfield is closest to 2 different tank battles, so there aren't necessary 3 active airfields on both sides. 1 open factory (the one that was also selected in the previous mission) from both sides is chosen. If a factory is closed, then in the next mission the closest open factory to the first selected tank battle is selected.
First off, I obviously don't know the workload for this so I'm just putting this out there in general.
Could you look into the placement of some fields and tank bases and change the distances a bit? Especially in the current pocket situation (i.e. every map after two days, hurr durr, funny joke) there's IMO way too many tank bases/battles that in range of AF radar bubbles for both sides. Given how deadly tank bases are, being visible to the enemy team the entire time is a tad much IMO, hah.  :biggrin:
It's a guaranteed win of that battle for the side with the radar cover most of the time in my experience which is a bit sad.

Not as big of an issue for depots and such as their defences are way weaker, but since we started flying we've seen it happen quite a few times with the tanks.
Speaking off, depots could benefit from a searchlight or two, right now they're defenceless in the morning.
Edited by wellenbrecher

Yup.

Situations like this happen all too often, two of the three tank battles taking place within radar range, or very close to, the Russian airfields.

Edited by Leifr

Yup.

Situations like this happen all too often, two of the three tank battles taking place within radar range, or very close to, the Russian airfields.

It goes both ways VVS/LW, depending on map situation.

Close airfield first than attack tankbase.

Sometimes there will be situation that your home AF is 50km away from tankbase while enemy tankbase is 2km from their AF.

I think it's generating it that way according to previous won battles (tankbases).

Only fix to this i see by moving TB far from any airfield, 20-30km at least.

Otherwise it doesn't bother me, sometimes it's in VVS favour, and sometimes in LW favour which males it fair.

Also it can be advantage, how; you operate over the tankbase and all the time you can see enemy plane spawning (use zoom) so you go destroy him and continue working on tankbase.

Causing enemy to avoid that airfield.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Yes but if the enemy has closed the field and it is now being capped while they are bringing in troops to capture it then flying an unarmed transport there to be killed is not going to help then when they do capture it what happens to all your aircraft there?

Naturally, they will be lost.

Close airfield first than attack tankbase.

Sometimes there will be situation that your home AF is 50km away from tankbase while enemy tankbase is 2km from their AF.

This is a very valid and working tactic. First close the field, then kill the base.

I think it's generating it that way according to previous won battles (tankbases).

It doesn't take anything previous events into account. It just takes the closest airfields from both sides. Simple as that :)

Well yes, closing the AF next door is of course necessary.

But I feel my point still stands in that battles right next to AFs are foregone conclusions more often than not which is a bit of a shame.

But if you feel it's WAD as it is and/or not worth the effort of placing everything in different places I can fully understand that decision of course, just for the record. Not wanting to sound petulant here.

Well yes, closing the AF next door is of course necessary.

But I feel my point still stands in that battles right next to AFs are foregone conclusions more often than not which is a bit of a shame.

But if you feel it's WAD as it is and/or not worth the effort of placing everything in different places I can fully understand that decision of course, just for the record. Not wanting to sound petulant here.

I too have sometimes thought that some of the tank battles are too close to an airfield. However, I won't be re-placing them to the current setup, but I will certainly keep it in mind when making the next version.

I really hope you consider implementing personal hangars.

Current problem is if i supply airfield and next sortie there are no planes to select cos guys wasted them and moved to the next airfield or left server being lazy to resupply.

There are guys that come on server, die and lost few planes while achieve nothing preventing others to progress trought the map.

Also resupplying personal hangar is much more rewarding and fair.

I was thinking about that personal hangar status follows you regarless which airfield you select so it will prevent pilots to just move to the other airfield.

Naturally, they will be lost.

Are you serious?  I cannot see a smiley.   If I have all my aircraft at an airfield,  not play for a couple of days and when I come back that field is well behind enemy lines then I can only fly transport missions until the enemy manages to win the map?  To be realistic, there would be no point flying transports either because most people that have lost their planes will just stop playing so the enemy will find it easier to finish winning the map. That would be a shame because sometimes those end-game maps are great fun with all the pilots forced into a corner and co-ordinating for a change to win back airfields.  I saw the Axis reduced to two airfields once then they managed to recapture three airfields in the space of an hour.

Are you serious?  I cannot see a smiley.   If I have all my aircraft at an airfield,  not play for a couple of days...

By that time, your hangars at the remaining airfields would have been supplied, so you'd have planes available.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

Tank Bases next to Air Fields would be relevant if the Front Line was close by and moving towards the Air Field as an objective.  Having them placed right up on an Air Field that is way back from the Front Line seems a little pointless.  It also depends on what the role of a Tank Base is.  Is it a means to consolidate ground forces to launch an attack or is it just a general weapons dump.

Also, does Tank Bases move in relation to the Front and if so what is the nature of the structure of the Base, as a mobile base would not be as dug in and defended as a static one.

Where are the Supply Trains ))

Tank Bases next to Air Fields would be relevant if the Front Line was close by and moving towards the Air Field as an objective.  Having them placed right up on an Air Field that is way back from the Front Line seems a little pointless.  It also depends on what the role of a Tank Base is.  Is it a means to consolidate ground forces to launch an attack or is it just a general weapons dump.

Also, does Tank Bases move in relation to the Front and if so what is the nature of the structure of the Base, as a mobile base would not be as dug in and defended as a static one.

Where are the Supply Trains ))

Nice idea having the tank base immediately next to the airfield be a bit tougher. Don't know if you meant that, but that's how I understood it :)

We had supply trains and convoys some time ago, but they make the mission a bit too heavy, as we don't want them to be just static objects.

No, not wanting tougher Tank Bases, they are lethal as it is for VVS LOL

No, just that Tank Bases, are they meant to move with the conflict or are they static Supply Bases for Ground Forces.  If movable, then they should be softer targets especially at the front and if they are non movable, then harder targets a bit back from the front.

I too have sometimes thought that some of the tank battles are too close to an airfield. However, I won't be re-placing them to the current setup, but I will certainly keep it in mind when making the next version.

Good enough for me, thank you!  :salute:

Server seems crash happy, this evening Helsinki time and yesterday too although yesterday I was crash happy too, actually, a very good target drone. ;)

EAF gone blue, but there were a more red last night...what an irony!

Cmon @wllenbreacher and @Lefir where were you?

We lost one airfield but also we captured another airfield.

If there were you guys with us we could capture one more airfield and even defend lost one, only two of us were there and they sneaked in while we head for refuel and rearm.

Let's try blue win the map ;)

• Upvote 2

Hi Ribbon!

I’m afraid we all got caught up with the Kingdom Come release yesterday. We’ll be back on from tomorrow onwards, I’ve been meaning to find you on Steam, looking forward to operating together.

It’s refreshing to see the map finally switch, too.

I'm having a rather interesting week at work, in fact I have meeting scheduled exactly an hour from now that will pretty much decide my life here for the coming years  :wacko:

But yes, we'll be around tomorrow onwards.

Also I'm goddamn nervous. Enough that I'm just randomly surfing instead of preparing.  :lol:

Hi Ribbon!

I’m afraid we all got caught up with the Kingdom Come release yesterday. We’ll be back on from tomorrow onwards, I’ve been meaning to find you on Steam, looking forward to operating together.

It’s refreshing to see the map finally switch, too.

Great Thursdays are EAF flying nights too.

I'm having a rather interesting week at work, in fact I have meeting scheduled exactly an hour from now that will pretty much decide my life here for the coming years  :wacko:

But yes, we'll be around tomorrow onwards.

Also I'm goddamn nervous. Enough that I'm just randomly surfing instead of preparing.  :lol:

I hope meeting was successful :)

See you tommorow guys!

Hi ya gang, not sure what was happening or if there has been some updates applied to the server but last night when I was flying / dying online, the server was running very smoothly. Frame rates were nearly up there with offline play aka 100+fps with hud off on my setup.  Offline with PWCG I will be getting 120+ on med air and ground settings with smoke set to 40%

This makes flying a pleasure.  Now, is the Spit such a weak ground pounder as I experienced as I was hit once and that was it for my pilot even though I thought the Spit had armored glass.  Also another death was after I had safely parachuted from a dying il2 but had left to go and tend diner as my pilot floated to the ground.  Maybe Tank Base AA didn't like me and decided to keep shooting at my pilot even though he was helpless.   :biggrin: 

Anyway, all good.  Still wish VVS had a Ju88 equivalent but the P40 is a good ride. :ph34r:

Hi ya gang, not sure what was happening or if there has been some updates applied to the server but last night when I was flying / dying online, the server was running very smoothly. Frame rates were nearly up there with offline play aka 100+fps with hud off on my setup.  Offline with PWCG I will be getting 120+ on med air and ground settings with smoke set to 40%

I think you may have just been lucky.  I was flying around 21:30 (UK time) and first we had some 'rubber banding' then the server crashed.    It did work OK between 21:00 & 21:30 though.

The personal hangar implementation is underway. First iteration will be generic, meaning not plane type specific, meaning a player will have a certain maximum number of planes available on each airfield.

• Upvote 3

Noooooo!!!!! :biggrin:

Does that mean I will have to stop pancaking on top of my targets.  Well, sort of belly flop / pancake on top of them.  It is just so hard to see them until I am right on top of them and by then I have little room to maneuver.....

Have to learn to tank and AA hunt without full FOV zoom so I stop getting so target focused.  That being said, it was cute seeing tanks rolling last night / this morning and completing an Air Base assault.  Had a real sense of achievement even at the expense of a few, cough, virtual lives. :cool::ph34r:

The personal hangar implementation is underway. First iteration will be generic, meaning not plane type specific, meaning a player will have a certain maximum number of planes available on each airfield.

Interesting.   Is this first iteration designed to fix a particular gameplay problem or is it just a test of functionality before doing the real change and this one is not supposed to affect anyones gameplay yet?

Interesting.   Is this first iteration designed to fix a particular gameplay problem or is it just a test of functionality before doing the real change and this one is not supposed to affect anyones gameplay yet?

It should affect everyone's gameplay. Take off and crash all your planes, and you won't be taking off from that airfield before the airfield is supplied.

Example:

I have 4 planes on an airfield. I take off in a 110, fly recklessly around enemy AAA, and the enemy AAA shoots me down.

->

I have 3 planes on the airfield. I take off in a 109, and the enemy pilot shoots me down.

->

I have 2 planes on the airfield. I take off in a 109, have an uneventful sortie, and land the plane back to the airfield.

->

I have 2 planes on the airfield. Airfield receives supply.

->

I have 8 planes on the airfield...

Edit: and based on feedback, we'll tweak the number of planes etc. We also will want to implement the rolling planeset, at which point we need to take a look at the number of planes again.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 1

It should affect everyone's gameplay. Take off and crash all your planes, and you won't be taking off from that airfield before the airfield is supplied.

Example:

I have 4 planes on an airfield. I take off in a 110, fly recklessly around enemy AAA, and the enemy AAA shoots me down.

->

I have 3 planes on the airfield. I take off in a 109, and the enemy pilot shoots me down.

->

I have 2 planes on the airfield. I take off in a 109, have an uneventful sortie, and land the plane back to the airfield.

->

I have 2 planes on the airfield. Airfield receives supply.

->

I have 8 planes on the airfield...

Edit: and based on feedback, we'll tweak the number of planes etc. We also will want to implement the rolling planeset, at which point we need to take a look at the number of planes again.

Great news, i hope planes won't be auto resupplied after some time, instead we will need to resupply them....it's more immersive.

Either way thank you!

• Upvote 1

As long as it doesn't become like TAW's system.  I have flown on it recently and many pilots seem to be Ground Attack shy.  More a case of LW flying high in FW 190's waiting for someone to trigger AA over an objective and then they pounce.  Given that is the case, the VVS side gets call outs on the 190's and everyone avoids that area but hardly any objectives get dealt with.

Have to take in account that there is a war going on and attrition was part of War.  I think Aircraft numbers available per field per se and they have to be re supplied if they are being chewed though but not so much a death penalty for pilots.  Auto resupply happens only after 60 min of the plane set getting low or something to encourage players to resupply and maybe after 3 deaths in a session, a pilot is locked to a resupply run if they want to continue.

It is good on this server we don't experience the high fliers per se and more are inclined on both sides to attack ground objectives.  Seems more in keeping with what a Tactical Air War is not that dog fights don't happen but not the 6K plus ones.

Server is down for a few hours. We tested the new personal hangar system, but it needs some more love before we can put it to use.