LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Is there a way of telling whether the current map is summer/autumn/winter before you spawn in?  Either from the lobby or from a webpage like http://il2missionplanner.com/#virtualpilotsfi ?

The reason for asking is so I can select an appropriate paintscheme. I'm sure the information is there, but I simply can't see it! Must be the snow-blindness...

You can actually see the current season from the hangar, when selecting the plane loadout. Look at the hangar door, you can see it's snowing if the season is winter :) .. You can rotate the view by dragging with mouse.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 1

Untamo - Could you please do a password reset on your registration of me: 56RAF_phoenix56 ?

I messed up my password and can't register with my squad.

Thanks for an excellent server.

My squad has largely moved over from CloD & DCS because of excellent work by people like you.

56RAF_phoenix56

Untamo - Could you please do a password reset on your registration of me: 56RAF_phoenix56 ?

I messed up my password and can't register with my squad.

Thanks for an excellent server.

My squad has largely moved over from CloD & DCS because of excellent work by people like you.

56RAF_phoenix56

Ok, I'll PM you shortly...

You can actually see the current season from the hangar, when selecting the plane loadout. Look at the hangar door, you can see it's snowing if the season is winter :) .. You can rotate the view by dragging with mouse.

Perfect. I never realised those features were there... both the view out the hanger door and the ability to rotate the view of the plane in the hander. Thanks for that tip!!

hi guys great server you're running however there is small problem, whenever server is slightly more populated 20+ players stutters and disconnects appear even trying to get into server again is problem. Tonight i couldn't get into it at all, everything freezes when start downloading mission files and il2 not responding (27 players).

I tried it to reboot few times and play on other servers but only on finnish i have this problem.

If i can help and contribute with my money for server fees i will be glad to do it, just send me PM. Or maybe more of us can gather and collect money to move the server on one with better performance.

Again thank you for amazing job you're doing

hi guys great server you're running however there is small problem, whenever server is slightly more populated 20+ players stutters and disconnects appear even trying to get into server again is problem. Tonight i couldn't get into it at all, everything freezes when start downloading mission files and il2 not responding (27 players).

I tried it to reboot few times and play on other servers but only on finnish i have this problem.

If i can help and contribute with my money for server fees i will be glad to do it, just send me PM. Or maybe more of us can gather and collect money to move the server on one with better performance.

Again thank you for amazing job you're doing

If you were trying to get in around 0:30 EET, the server was jammed. Those stutters happen when the background java sends commands to the dserver (objects respawning, airfields supplied etc.). Apparently there is some inefficient netcode or some such thing in the game implementation. In addition, the server has never been near 100% CPU, memory, nor network bandwith use.

We are eagerly waiting for the performance improvements Han was talking about in one of the TS events :)

• Upvote 1

What does it mean when you land at your airfield and try to end the mission but it says "Finish (Airfield Only)"  and refuses to let you despawn?      It happened to my whole squad last night (about 22:30 UK time?) and we all had to leave the server in order to get out of our planes so lost any score we had.

Was that a bug or did we do something wrong?   It was the airfield we had taken off from and it was not closed (though it was showing as under attack)

It happened to my whole squad last night (about 22:30 UK time?) and we all had to leave the server in order to get out of our planes so lost any score we had.

If you were trying to get in around 0:30 EET, the server was jammed.

Looks like you were doing it when the server was jammed.

Looks like you were doing it when the server was jammed.

Thanks that would be about right as the UK is two hours behind EET until the clocks change.  I had not noticed that the earlier post was referring to EET.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

In addition, the server has never been near 100% CPU, memory, nor network bandwith use.

Temuri if Dserver is anything like the game itself. And if the server is on a 4-core machine. I'm guessing it peaks at around 25% cpu usage during busy hours.

The game itself while using all cores is today mostly single threaded. Meaning one core is always the bottleneck. It then constantly swiches that thread between the cores as a heat reduction feature. That's why cpu load never shows as high yet the cpu is still the bottleneck. 

The server is an i5 4570 with 16GB of RAM. So not the fastest CPU out there, but even with 40 players, the CPU utilization for one core is quite low. I haven't seen it go over 25% (for one core).

If you were trying to get in around 0:30 EET, the server was jammed. Those stutters happen when the background java sends commands to the dserver (objects respawning, airfields supplied etc.). Apparently there is some inefficient netcode or some such thing in the game implementation. In addition, the server has never been near 100% CPU, memory, nor network bandwith use.

We are eagerly waiting for the performance improvements Han was talking about in one of the TS events :)

Looking forward to it. Thanks for reply Temuri!

This server deserve much more players.

OK I accept that for some reason it is tricky or CPU intensive to know whether a pilot is in friendly or enemy territory when he bails or crash lands but do you know easily how far he is from his home base?   

It might be fun if his respawn is delayed depending on how far he was from his home base when he crashed landed.   Not a big delay, not big enough to make someone decide to fly somewhere else,  but maybe enough to make him choose to attempt to rtb rather than just bail out at the first sign of trouble. If someone has the choice of either flying home for 4 minutes or spending 2 minutes unable to launch while his pilot 'hitches a lift home' then I think many pilots would rather fly than watch a timer countdown despite the time saving. It could be that he has a friendly base nearer than his home base of course in which case it is much better to RTB.     In an ideal world, if you could see a little icon of your pilot running home at 300kph on the map then you would put up with a longer delay :-)   

Just 'Pie In The Sky' dreaming :-)

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

OK I accept that for some reason it is tricky or CPU intensive to know whether a pilot is in friendly or enemy territory when he bails or crash lands but do you know easily how far he is from his home base?   

It might be fun if his respawn is delayed depending on how far he was from his home base when he crashed landed.   Not a big delay, not big enough to make someone decide to fly somewhere else,  but maybe enough to make him choose to attempt to rtb rather than just bail out at the first sign of trouble. If someone has the choice of either flying home for 4 minutes or spending 2 minutes unable to launch while his pilot 'hitches a lift home' then I think many pilots would rather fly than watch a timer countdown despite the time saving. It could be that he has a friendly base nearer than his home base of course in which case it is much better to RTB.     In an ideal world, if you could see a little icon of your pilot running home at 300kph on the map then you would put up with a longer delay :-)   

Just 'Pie In The Sky' dreaming :-)

We (or the Java command software) know where you bail, and how far you are to the nearest home base, but using this info to do the things you wish, well... we can't. The airfield object doesn't have any controls that we could increase / decrease respawn times for players. And there is also no moving map icons at this time :) ... So, make a suggestion in the suggestion thread :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Our java application actually calculates the distance to nearest friendly ground object, and then rolls dice to see if the pilot is captured. The functionality just isn't currently used anywhere. We basically have the backend for our own statistics implementation, but due to time constraints the website for it isn't done.

It might be fun if his respawn is delayed depending on how far he was from his home base when he crashed landed.

Would be nice, but currently the only way to implement this would be to kick the player out of the server (by using the java sniffing the logs) if the player respawns before the timeout is over.

How about adjusting the points lost by crash landing to be connected to the distance from the airfield?    It is annoying that twice in the last few weeks I have had my engine die while I was on finals so it has had no effect on me at all and I have landed perfectly on the runway but the stats system decides that if my engine died before I landed and turned it off then I must have crash landed and gives my attacker a kill and takes away half my points :-)    Or a simpler solution, if the game says someone has crash landed then check if they are within a km of the field and cancel the points deduction.   

You would need to treat bailing out differently because jumping over your field is not the same as making a perfect landing with no engine :-)  It would still make sense though to reduce the points deduction to 25% if they bail out within a few Km of a friendly base.

I am just dreaming.  All this may be out of your hands as it is down to the external stats system.

Just wanted to stop by and say that the server is a great contribution to the community. Been having a lot of fun on it with other members of our group on Saturday nights. Unfortunately, not too many other people on the server when we play. So, to everyone else - get on this server! It's great stuff.

You've really done a fantastic job, guys!

Edited by No.401_Wolverine
  • Upvote 2

Just wanted to stop by and say that the server is a great contribution to the community. Been having a lot of fun on it with other members of our group on Saturday nights. Unfortunately, not too many other people on the server when we play. So, to everyone else - get on this server! It's great stuff.

You've really done a fantastic job, guys!

Thank you. I assume you're from Canada, so I can understand the lack of people on the server when you're there.

Btw. didn't you guys have the Warfront server on CloD? I liked the idea on that server a lot, but didn't really fly there due to the timezone difference.

Thank you. I assume you're from Canada, so I can understand the lack of people on the server when you're there.

Btw. didn't you guys have the Warfront server on CloD? I liked the idea on that server a lot, but didn't really fly there due to the timezone difference.

Yes, Warfront was one of ours. Somewhat similar to yours but not as fully featured. CloD was limiting to us due to the AI problems and other bugs. We had a version that had tanks you could send to attack the different areas, but they just couldn't navigate the roads or rivers or bridges, etc., so we had to take them out.

We'll do our best to drum up some more NA timezone support for your server. We really appreciate the effort that gets put into servers and campaign missions like these.

Edited by No.401_Wolverine
  • Upvote 1

We are starting to implement the rolling planeset, so the first thing to do is to define the different planesets (DUH!).

I don't like reinventing the wheel, so how does using a planeset similar to TAW (http://taw.stg2.de/img/planeset_v1.4.8.jpg) sound?

Edit: Just to be clear: we are not implementing the CM mechanism, only the selection of available planes.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 1

The only input I would like to add as someone who flies in an RAF squad is it would be good to have the P-40 be available until the Spitfire arrives (or after, as the Spitfire doesn't have any bombs).

Great server by the way. :salute:

Edited by 19RAF_MJDixon
  • Upvote 1

The only input I would like to add as someone who flies in an RAF squad is it would be good to have the P-40 be available until the Spitfire arrives (or after, as the Spitfire doesn't have any bombs).

Great server by the way. :salute:

I agree. If someone only owns BoK then they would have to also buy a P40 as there is no other allied early war fighter you can buy separately but the TAW rotation means you still cannot fly anything at all in map #5. When the full version of BoK is released then you would not need the P40 in #6 & #7 any more because there will be a Yak-7 & P-39 to carry bombs.

OTOH Dixon, You could buy BoM while it is still only $25 and then you have an I-16 in map #1 followed by a Mig-3 right up to map #5.  Ok neither are ideal but the I-16 is fun just for one map and the Mig-3 is *interesting* to fight with :-)

OTOH Dixon, You could buy BoM while it is still only $25 and then you have an I-16 in map #1 followed by a Mig-3 right up to map #5.  Ok neither are ideal but the I-16 is fun just for one map and the Mig-3 is *interesting* to fight with :-)

I actually have the three games, it's just I thought the I-16 would look a bit odd in an RAF skin (although I've made some Soviet/British volunteer squadron skins just in case). :biggrin:

Rolling planeset?

Could someone please explain what that means?

(I don't fly TAW)

It means that not every plane is available on the server all the time. The general idea being that the available planes progress from older to newer as time goes on.

Since we are flying more and more on Finnish, yesterday i tried to add EAF as a squadron, but i failed...

Is there something to be done admin side or i just messed up?

The simple explanation is the EAF was registered by me when we originally started to fly on the server. Currently only Ribbon and I are affiliated with the EAF tag :-)

What are the rules on Ramming on this server?     No I am not talking about me getting annoyed because someone had an accident,     I am talking about someone who rammed at least 4 friendly aircraft in the space of 5 minutes.   After the third suspicious collision I saw someone following me very closely so I turned on my recording and when he rammed me I came out and watched the Track. he tried to hit me from behind but missed so he yanked his stick back and hit me from below then despawned quickly before any message could come up but luckily the Tracks show the names.  Until tonights stats are done I cannot say it was him that did the previous rammings. We thought it was an Axis player that was getting the kills even though we were sure it was a friendly plane that did the ramming so we thought someone had found a way to cheat.

2017_110.jpg

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

What are the rules on Ramming on this server?     No I am not talking about me getting annoyed because someone had an accident,     I am talking about someone who rammed at least 4 friendly aircraft in the space of 5 minutes.   After the third suspicious collision I saw someone following me very closely so I turned on my recording and when he rammed me I came out and watched the Track. he tried to hit me from behind but missed so he yanked his stick back and hit me from below then despawned quickly before any message could come up but luckily the Tracks show the names.

Well, purposeful TKing (or even damaging) is not allowed. I can't make out the names in those pics (send me a PM / email with better res.). If the behaviour persists, we will deal with it.

The current automatic penalty system should weed out any shooting / bombing of friendlies, but I am not sure how it deals with ramming.

The current system first gives a warning (which persists 24h) if you TK and if you repeat it, you get kicked, and if you return and continue to TK, you get a 1h ban, and then 2h, and then a 4h... 8h... 1d, 7d.. etc :)

I can easily prove that this person deliberately rammed me because I can send you the track but I will wait until we see this evenings stats before I start a witch hunt.  I know my squad mate also got rammed a little earlier so I will look to see who killed him and who else they killed.

OK I would do this by PM in case investigations show he was innocent or it is unclear but the stats show his guilt very clearly.  Last night Jelly_Donut flew four very short sorties and in all four he took devastating damage from an unnamed source and then died or bailed and instantly despawned so no names showed.  When he killed me he had been in the air just one minute and I had dodged him a couple of times so he could have killed me earlier. 

http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/sorties/814/Jelly_Donut/?tour=17

30 second video

https://youtu.be/dH5a-3rQ20M

2017_111.jpg.   

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

It means that not every plane is available on the server all the time. The general idea being that the available planes progress from older to newer as time goes on.

Personally I think this is a great idea. Or you could combine it with historic data and only have types available at that front.

I have two excel documents with data on incert/ combat dates and numbers on fronts. Some mission builder guy made those to help building missions for il-2 1946. I am fairly sure that they are reasonable accurate.

Personally I think this is a great idea. Or you could combine it with historic data and only have types available at that front.

I have two excel documents with data on incert/ combat dates and numbers on fronts. Some mission builder guy made those to help building missions for il-2 1946. I am fairly sure that they are reasonable accurate.

I am looking forward to being forced to fly an I-16 or Mig-3 against early 109s but I don't think it a good idea to restrict the plane sets too much just for the sake of authenticity as you can only recreate 'less than authentic'.  For example,  an authentic planeset for Moscow might include hurricanes or something very obscure that will never be modelled.   Also, if someone does not own BoM then they can only fly in the early servers if they have bought a P40 or MC.202 so not including those could make the server very underpopulated. Even then they wont be allowed in map #1.     Also remember you might not just lose one pilot who does not own BoM,  you might find a whole squadron flying elsewhere because one of the squad cannot fly in the Finnish server.  My own squadron definitely refuses to fly anywhere that we cannot all get into (unless that pilot insists on 'falling on his sword' and logging out )

I am looking forward to being forced to fly an I-16 or Mig-3 against early 109s but I don't think it a good idea to restrict the plane sets too much just for the sake of authenticity as you can only recreate 'less than authentic'. For example, an authentic planeset for Moscow might include hurricanes or something very obscure that will never be modelled. Also, if someone does not own BoM then they can only fly in the early servers if they have bought a P40 or MC.202 so not including those could make the server very underpopulated. Even then they wont be allowed in map #1. Also remember you might not just lose one pilot who does not own BoM, you might find a whole squadron flying elsewhere because one of the squad cannot fly in the Finnish server. My own squadron definitely refuses to fly anywhere that we cannot all get into (unless that pilot insists on 'falling on his sword' and logging out )

I want an early war feeling, but not even I will handicap myself with a LaGG-3, if I know that the opposition can take a 190.

But I would gladly host a more historic version of Finish Pilots dynamic war, if they would let me. But would need their expertise with editing the mission as it is very complex.

Last night I finally had a moment for some il2 flying and chose this server to spend that moment. Good action, even teams! (~30/30), great fun and even got to fly the 82f la5. Thank you for running this!

Missed the Rpk, but that's mostly me being a lousy navigator.