LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Sorry if I missed it, but is there any news on when RPK10 might be introduced for all Russian airfields?

I have a hypothesis why the homing beacon/rpk doesn't work. Might be it doesn't work if the NDB object is spawned. Have to check this out.

The reason seems to be this. If the NDB object is spawned, the homing doesn't work. Workaround might be to hide an NDB object in a nearby forest :)

The reason seems to be this. If the NDB object is spawned, the homing doesn't work. Workaround might be to hide an NDB object in a nearby forest :)

I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, but by spawn do you mean placed on an airfield the beacon will not work?  If so, is that a bug?

P.S.  I notice that when I fly my Mig-15 on another flight simulation (that I am not sure if I can mention the name of), they sometimes have a beacon close nearby, but outside the airfield perimeter.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

It does sound a bit confusing..."If you want me to tell you which direction the beacon is then you need to make sure there is no beacon."  :-)    Am I misunderstanding something?

It does sound a bit confusing..."If you want me to tell you which direction the beacon is then you need to make sure there is no beacon."  :-)    Am I misunderstanding something?

To make the mission a bit lighter for the dserver, we spawn objects to the game only when there is a player in vicinity. So when no one is near an airfield/tank base/depot/factory, only the static blocks (ammo dumps etc.) are there. Once a player comes within 10 km range, the AAA etc. are spawned in. It just so happens, that when using the spawning, the NDB won't work. Not even when the NDB stays spawned, so it's not a question of the NDB being despawned :)

We've now confirmed the issue with the teamkill warnings on the tank bases. The logic which flips the tank bases' direction is bugging, causing the objects from the other side not being positioned on their correct places. Instead, on a flipped tank base the German and Russian objects are overlapped, like you Roblex said a couple of posts ago.

Btw, I liked your blog posts :)

Hmm... server jammed, and after rebooting I failed to check that it had started ok... well it hadn't... Now rebooting again :)

Well, seems like the tank base reversal bug was causing some nasty loop of objects being destroyed... I'm putting an untested WIP version of the commander running on the server that has the main points of the bug fixed, but still contain some visual defiencys (like tank attack arrows pointing the wrong way etc.).

EDIT: Yep, now running ok.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

S!

Now I got a more polished version running. Attack arrows and tank base icons should be the right way round, so no more nasty surprises when flying over a "friendly" tank base ;)

Today i want to straf the Pilot "=K10=Slon" in his PE2 who atacked our Arty.

Wen i was on his rear Side, he disconected!!!

I think he is a very fine Sportsman.

Can someone clarify Airfield Capture please?   Last night my squad tried to capture Ghzatsk.   The nearby tank base had been captured by soviet tanks and we closed Tesovo depot so it had no resupply but when we closed the airfield  by taking out 90% of its objects (just tower & static plane left) and landed two PE2 with paratroopers nothing happened.      OK it never gave us the message saying it was now open to capture but the question is why?

Can someone clarify Airfield Capture please?   Last night my squad tried to capture Ghzatsk.   The nearby tank base had been captured by soviet tanks and we closed Tesovo depot so it had no resupply but when we closed the airfield  by taking out 90% of its objects (just tower & static plane left) and landed two PE2 with paratroopers nothing happened.      OK it never gave us the message saying it was now open to capture but the question is why?

Two possibilities:

1. The "nearby tank base" was not the tank base that is directly next to it.

2. Bug :)

Do you remember the tank base number of the tank base that was captured by Soviet forces?

When an airfield is capturable, there is the "Close and capture airfield" text shown on top of it.

Two possibilities:

1. The "nearby tank base" was not the tank base that is directly next to it.

2. Bug :)

Do you remember the tank base number of the tank base that was captured by Soviet forces?

When an airfield is capturable, there is the "Close and capture airfield" text shown on top of it.

The situation was pretty much as it is right now except there was no tank base in 1811 (we had to fly over that area every time we attacked Gzhatsk so definitely no tank base in 1811).  The nearest tank base in 1810 had just been captured by the Soviet tanks.  There were no closer tank bases.  Is 1810 too far to be valid?.  I believe you cannot capture an airfield unless there is a tank base 'Near' but how close is 'Near'?

gzhats10.jpg

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

....There were no closer tank bases.  Is 1810 too far to be valid?.  I believe you cannot capture an airfield unless there is a tank base 'Near' but how close is 'Near'?

In-game you can see the attack routes (not drawn on the il2missionplanner.com due to not having right kind of lines available :) ). If you see line with color(blue/red) between an airfield and the closest tank base, then there is another tank base between them. If the line is black all the way from the airfield to the tank base, then there is no bases in between. ... And I haven't written this in the original post. I'll add it now.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Forgot to update it, now it's done, with following additions:

Clarification on the mechanics on capturing depots and factories:

Depots are linked to the adjacent tank battles and a captured when the tank battle is won. Factories are linked to the adjacent airfield and are captured with the airfield.

And that situation visualization part:

In-game, the situation is visualized by both a border line, and series of colored(blue/red/black) lines between airfields, factories and depots. Blue is German, red is Allied and black is no-mans-land. The colored lines represent all the possible routes, through which the battle can progress. For example, let's say there is a tank battle (represented by the opposing tank bases) on the border. You can see black lines extending to two directions from the battle. Where the line color changes (usually there is also an angle in the line as well) there is the next step along the route. That step can be another tank battle or an airfield. If you can see the black line extending from a tank battle to an adjacent airfield, then that airfield becomes capturable if the opposing team wins the tank battle. If there is a segment of colored line between the tank battle and the airfield, then there is still more battles between them.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Just played a couple of rounds and I wanted to say it was a real pleasure.   :salute:  :salute:

You guys really have an excellent server with very fun missions!!!

I had an incident where I was getting teamkill warnings when i was attacking AAA. I was over enemy targets and they were shooting at me, but when I killed them on the IL2 43 I got three consecutive warnings.

I wonder if the art_position block was the wrong nationality.

If it helps you troubleshoot, it was in the Moskow map at 2108-1, Meshkova depots. I was VVS and AAA was german.

Hello there! 

I'd like to give a try to your server as it sounds really cool, but when I do try to connect I have the loading screen and the game returns to the main menu. 

Other server works well. Any idea of what the problem can be? 

Thank you! 

Rolluptito

I had an incident where I was getting teamkill warnings when i was attacking AAA. I was over enemy targets and they were shooting at me, but when I killed them on the IL2 43 I got three consecutive warnings.

I wonder if the art_position block was the wrong nationality.

If it helps you troubleshoot, it was in the Moskow map at 2108-1, Meshkova depots. I was VVS and AAA was german.

Thanks, I’ll check that.

Hello there! 

I'd like to give a try to your server as it sounds really cool, but when I do try to connect I have the loading screen and the game returns to the main menu. 

Other server works well. Any idea of what the problem can be? 

The server had jammed around 1:43 EET. Running again now.

We’ll soon update the mission with a lighter version of the trigger system that spawns objects. Currently, there’s a “lighter load testing” server with the lighter triggers running. Feel free to pop in and report any odd things in it :)

1. Love your dynamic server.

But...

2. I noticed that the vvs almost always win, I am not complaining about that (after all, that is what happened!) But I am wondering if this is because when the server restarts, the Russian tanks at every tank bases launch an assault? It may not be the only reason, (superior organisation seems to be a major factor well done vvs) but it may be a factor.

2. I noticed that the vvs almost always win, I am not complaining about that (after all, that is what happened!) But I am wondering if this is because when the server restarts, the Russian tanks at every tank bases launch an assault? It may not be the only reason, (superior organisation seems to be a major factor well done vvs) but it may be a factor.

Well, if the tanks happen to be moving as the mission rotates, then the tanks are re-sent at mission start. But there has been a bug (that I think I already fixed) that made the German tanks to roll on random occasions at mission start, even when they shouldn't have. I've never seen russian tanks roll without reason. But anyways, even if they do, they shouldn't be able to do any damage to the opposing base (if humans don't help) because the indirect fire units on the defensive side will destroy the tanks well before they reach firing range. So, it shouldn't affect the outcome of the mission as a whole.

But thanks for the tip. I will keep my eye out for this, and investigate the possibility of a bug.

As for the reds winning quite a lot... well, there seems to be quite a lot of red activity during they day, when the blue pilots are doing something else :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

we fly quite regularly on Sunday on your server and really like it.

Yesterday i would say there was this tank bug on the red side, as we finished our session, which was #3895, i stayed on the server to watch the change to the frontline. The German tanks attacked in #3895 on every groundbattle and we managed to capture the red airfield,guess it was f12 (forgot the name).

Now in the next mission (#3896), after ca. 5 mins, all russians tanks were attacking on the frontline. which left me with a big questionmark  :D

Thanks for your effort,  wish you good start in the week.

Cheers 

The server is now running the new lighter load triggers. Thanks to Coconut for the idea of the implementation.

In addition, the rolling planeset is on a short break, so all planes should be available. I'll add the rolling planeset back during this week.

• Upvote 1

Your server has fallen over again, cant log out, or in

I have a question, my muppet-friends keep flying into my bomb blasts, and I get a teamkill warning. I realise if I get banned, a quick p.m. will sort it, but it is a worry, is there anything that can be changed to stop this?

Restarting now.

Hmm... quite a dilemma :D ... Well, I could code some sort of white-list -type of solution, that would allow a bit more... well TKilling for certain individuals :) ... But it would be whole lot easier if you and your wingmen would just be a bit more careful ;) ... Yell "IN!" on TS when you start your bombing dive (and "out!" when you are clean of the area) etc :)

But the system is in place for a good reason. We've already experienced one incident where a troll came in and just started TKing everyone on the runway with He-111 gunners. We admins aren't always around, and even if we are, getting the remote connection to the server takes time and the kick/ban system on the DServer is lacking. You can only kick, or give an 24h ban with the interface :) ... So we implemented our own system.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

I found another possible bug in the code that might have caused the tanks to roll on mission start. This hole is now plugged. Let's hope that was it :)

Assuming it is not something you need to keep secret to avoid people 'gaming' it, what exactly is this 'Light Load Triggers' change?

Assuming it is not something you need to keep secret to avoid people 'gaming' it, what exactly is this 'Light Load Triggers' change?

Before, the check zone triggers that look for players and then spawn objects in the vicinity were on all the time. Now they are on for 50 milliseconds every 15 seconds.

Before, the check zone triggers that look for players and then spawn objects in the vicinity were on all the time. Now they are on for 50 milliseconds every 15 seconds.

Temuri, did you notice lower cpu utilization using this solution? Does it helped? How many check zone triggers are in the mission. I'm thinking about similar solution.

Temuri, did you notice lower cpu utilization using this solution? Does it helped? How many check zone triggers are in the mission. I'm thinking about similar solution.

We did not see any change in CPU utilization, but the DServer tick delay dropped quite dramatically.

CPU has never been the bottleneck. We've never seen any core on the server go over ~30%, even during heavy player load on the server.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Let's see...

Four tank battles = 8 check zones.

Two factories per side = 4 checkzones

~Two depots per side = ~4 checkzones

Four airfields per side = 8 checkzones

So a total of ~24 checkzones per mission.

IIRC, the idle tick delay (no players on the server) went down from around 5 to around 0.4.

Forgot to add that the checkzones are also timed not to all fire at the same time.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

You were also spawning Radio Beacons by checkzone as well and this was why they would not work.  Has that been changed?  I would not have thought that having 8 radio beacons spawned in permanently would cause problems but I know nothing about it so could be wrong.  

You were also spawning Radio Beacons by checkzone as well and this was why they would not work. Has that been changed? I would not have thought that having 8 radio beacons spawned in permanently would cause problems but I know nothing about it so could be wrong.

Yes. Every spawnable object, including the beacons. Yes, having 8 beacons spawned in permanently wouldn’t cause problems, but combination of real life and basic lazyness means I haven’t added those yet :)

Edit: initially we added the beacon objects, because they are the only objects that look something akin to a radar.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

So a total of ~24 checkzones per mission.

IIRC, the idle tick delay (no players on the server) went down from around 5 to around 0.4.

Forgot to add that the checkzones are also timed not to all fire at the same time.

Wow, that's a huge improvement. I have about 100 (one hundred) CheckZones per mission but TickDelay is no more than 2ms with no players. I was sure that they have minimal impact to Tick Delay.

But it would be whole lot easier if you and your wingmen would just be a bit more careful ;) ... Yell "IN!" on TS when you start your bombing dive (and "out!" when you are clean of the area) etc :)

I fear you underestimate the Muppetry of my friends.

• Upvote 1

Server crashed exactly the same time as last week when we were approaching the denkovo depot. Exactly the same thing

Edited by 1./KG22_Momsen

S!

Problem was a direct result of the trigger upgrade we did earlier. Didn't remember all the things it might effect. One of them was the tank base reversal logic (which involved reversing the places of two triggers).. Now fixed and running again.

Just a warning for anyone that is interested in their score.  I noticed today that all my scores in Finnish last night had been multiplied by 0.8 because of the 'Fairplay Index'.  I looked it up to to see what that was and saw it is a penalty imposed on those who disconnect to avoid dying.  Last week I kept getting disconnected mid-flight, before seeing any combat I hasten to add,  and tried four times before deciding to give up for the night.  Now I find out that the result of that was that that my index dropped from 100% to 60% in the space of 20 minutes and has only just climbed back to 80%      Next time you are having internet issues bear that in mind.  You would think it fairly trivial to first check if someone has taken damage before deciding they must have disconnected to avoid dying.   Sure there may be some total losers who decide to disconnect as soon as they see an enemy but they cannot be that common.

I am also a bit surprised by another facet of that scoring system. Last night I attacked a stuka and accidentally rammed him because my controls were locked from overspeed.  We both died.   Later I had a fight with a Fw190, killed him and flew home and made a perfect landing.  Both sorties gave me the same score.   Am I the only one that thinks it stupid that a person gets the same reward for ramming someone and dying as for flying home and landing the kill?     

I wish someone else had the skills to write a better stats system.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

I wish someone else had the skills to write a better stats system.

Well, I was in the process of writing one for our server, but as we found out that the paratroopers/containers doesn't produce the log entries we would need to give the score to the pilot performing the drops, I was demoralized to finish it :) ... Basically the one made by FB-Vaal does the job quite well, it just doesn't take into account the ground combat emphasis of our server...

I will finish our own stats system once the game starts producing the necessary log entries... which I hope happens in some not so distant future :)

• Upvote 1