LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Okay then I will give my humble opinion.
Ive come to know and love this server as a "medium expert" server. Medium expert because map icons are turned off.
WoL for example I would consider "low expert" and TAW/RE would be "high expert", because you have a limited plane hangar, no icons ingame and on map.
Servers with icons turned on I would classify as arcade servers, for example "action dogfight and tanks" server.
In my opinion the most popular formats are light and heavy expert, so getting closer to one of these two would maybe help bring more players on the server.
As for the ingame icons I personaly find them to arcadey.

S!

First off: I hate the icons, I really do. The way they have been implemented is just awful. There is no options to tune them in any way. They can be seen through the plane etc.

But...

We had squad training on the server last night, fighter vs. fighter furballing mostly, and we put the icons on for that purpose and we found it to be super fun, being able to use the fighter planes to their full potential, and not just peering our eyes out of their sockets trying to spot that elusive dot ;)

Now, what we want to see, is how the icons being on affect the dynamics of player interaction on the server. Mainly, will it drive the players away, or bring in more? :)

What we would optimally want, is short friendly icons which don't really affect interactions with the enemy (surprise attacks etc.). They would just make wingman flying much easier.

Icons on tonight? Pleaaaase not

You are ONE of the full real Servers I really enjoy, this would kill it for me and several others

Please.. if the Server restarts in 40 minutes, turn the Icons back off. 

Promotion is your Key to more players

Edited by //KG33Momsen

Thank you very much, you rescued my saturday! 

I will definately spread the word for your server

Some suggestions to give your Server a little bit more population:

1. Ground Target Diversity

Right now, we have Tank Bases, Depots, Airfields and Factorys, dont get me wrong, I really love your GT system and how everything works, but a little bit more diversity would be very welcome, here some examples:

- Replace SOME depots with at least 2-3 Trains or protected Truck Convoys, moving in the Hinterland, and (if possible) without a moving symbol on the map, so you actually have to look for them and hunt them. 

- Replace ONE factory with some kind of Army HQ, somewhere deep behind the frontline. If possible, just mark the area where it COULD be and dont actually show it on the map, so Pilots also have to look for it. 

2. AAA 

- If possible, set up more AAA, but reduce their level to "normal" everywhere. Radar guided, dynamic deflection, laser measured killer AAA keeps frustration for Ground attackers. I know that there ways to get around the KillerAAA but for the lone wulf, its just a warning sign not to come back. 

Especially for STUKA Pilots, every takeoff is a one way ticket. 

3. The Campaign

- Build your Battles and the overall duration up on 3 months. 

Month 1: 1941 with 1941 Planeset

Month 2: 1942 with 1942 Planeset

Month 3: 1943 with 1943 Planeset Campaign End. 

Keep your Statistics for those 3 Month. 

Lg, 

Momsen

I love this server but I have one issue.   When there are only a few people online then it can be almost impossible to find each other.   You may keep seeing messages to say the enemy is destroying ground objects but you have no way to know what target they are attacking unless they are attacking an airfield and appear on its radar.  There may only be 5 live targets but they are so far apart it would be impossible to check them all.   Surely in the real world the pilots would be told where they are needed.   We don't want to make it *too* easy,  I often fly bombers and don't want the fighters finding me too easily :-),  but some help would be useful.    Perhaps let the defenders know roughly what area the attack is taking place. Something like 'Attention! Squadrons at Temkino scramble immediately to defend ground targets in your area.'  which tells them that the problem is in the Southern section rather than the middle (Gostovo)  or North (Alferevo).   They will still have to search for the enemy as there are 3-4 targets that are closer to Temkino than Gostovo. 

Some suggestions to give your Server a little bit more population:

Some good suggestions there, especially about target diversity. Should be doable without too much effort too.

I love this server but I have one issue.   When there are only a few people online then it can be almost impossible to find each other.   You may keep seeing messages to say the enemy is destroying ground objects but you have no way to know what target they are attacking unless they are attacking an airfield and appear on its radar.  There may only be 5 live targets but they are so far apart it would be impossible to check them all.   Surely in the real world the pilots would be told where they are needed.   We don't want to make it *too* easy,  I often fly bombers and don't want the fighters finding me too easily :-),  but some help would be useful.    Perhaps let the defenders know roughly what area the attack is taking place. Something like 'Attention! Squadrons at Temkino scramble immediately to defend ground targets in your area.'  which tells them that the problem is in the Southern section rather than the middle (Gostovo)  or North (Alferevo).   They will still have to search for the enemy as there are 3-4 targets that are closer to Temkino than Gostovo. 

Currently attacks are shown in the il2missionplanner map at http://il2missionplanner.com/#virtualpilotsfi Note that there's a bit of a delay on the attack icons showing up.

There could of course be some delayed messages about attacks too. We actually did have that in the very first implementation, but can't remember why we dropped it.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

I just noticed a server message wich called out, that the AAA will be set to normal, wich I find is a good step in the right direction!

If its too easy, we will fastly know that and can switch it back to expert. 

To keep Pilots frequently on your Server I would also suggest:

Do not reset your Statistics, make it a long term incentive to go forward, add Medals and Rankings as Reward, give your Pilots something for flying on your Server. 

To attract Pilots wo are not active on these Forums, I would suggest you rename your Server in the Lobby, something like ACES OVER MOSCOW - DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN - FULL REAL! 

And then your squadron credits in the Discription. That would bring up your Server to the top of the Lobby and everyone will notice it. 

At least these suggestions are a try, as I said earlier, your Server is one of the best, now we have to populate it!

Please no icons on this very nice server.  I hate icons in serious servers and I think this is a seriously good server. 

The only way I like icons is in quick dog-fight servers with air-start and small map, purely to test out dog-fight manoeuvres and gunnery skills before going in to a proper full real server for some serious flying and a test of airmanship skills. 

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Upvote 2

I just noticed a server message wich called out, that the AAA will be set to normal, wich I find is a good step in the right direction!

If its too easy, we will fastly know that and can switch it back to expert. 

To keep Pilots frequently on your Server I would also suggest:

Do not reset your Statistics, make it a long term incentive to go forward, add Medals and Rankings as Reward, give your Pilots something for flying on your Server. 

To attract Pilots wo are not active on these Forums, I would suggest you rename your Server in the Lobby, something like ACES OVER MOSCOW - DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN - FULL REAL! 

And then your squadron credits in the Discription. That would bring up your Server to the top of the Lobby and everyone will notice it. 

At least these suggestions are a try, as I said earlier, your Server is one of the best, now we have to populate it!

What do you guys think bout this?

And thank you for your AAA decision, i will test it later!

I think the stats system had a setting to control whether the stats were reset every month. So having them not reset is doable easily. We could maybe start the "no reset" from next month.

I haven't looked into how the medals and rankings are added in the stats system, so that will take some time.

We'll be keeping the "Finnish VirtualPilots" in the name, since the server is owned by the Finnish Virtual Pilots' Association.

How does a squadron get added to the squadron stats?   My squadron (56RAF_) seem to be spending most of its time in your server now.

How does a squadron get added to the squadron stats?   My squadron (56RAF_) seem to be spending most of its time in your server now.

First create a pilot profile http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/profile/registration/

Then login and go to http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/squad/ to register a squad.

Have your squad members create pilot profiles too and send them the squad join url.

Note the info from Vaal:

* A minimum of 4 pilot with sorties to the squad participated in the ranking.

* The pilot who joined the squad, will be added to the squad only after will make the sortie.

* Statistics squad - accumulative.

• Upvote 1

Some requests for the stats:

1. On the stats page, there is a speciality box. This seems to register things like "bomber", "fighter", etc.. But not "transport". Could this be added?
  2. Also, could the number of kg cargo delivered/dropped be added?

One thing lacking in all servers is better recognition of transport flights.

Unfortunately not.

Might be that none of the fields had the radar object spawned. Have to check.

Some requests for the stats:

1. On the stats page, there is a speciality box. This seems to register things like "bomber", "fighter", etc.. But not "transport". Could this be added?
  2. Also, could the number of kg cargo delivered/dropped be added?

One thing lacking in all servers is better recognition of transport flights.

We are using Vaal's stats system, so can't help you here. Also, knowing how the Ju-52 related mission log entries were only "half implemented", I don't think it's coming anytime soon to Vaal's system.

{...} knowing how the Ju-52 related mission log entries were only "half implemented", I don't think it's coming anytime soon to Vaal's system.

Okay, thanks.

From what I could tell from the discussion on the stats, unloading cargo was something triggered from the MP mission itself. Maybe one of the mission gurus (Gambit21?) could help??

Ref: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18056-il2-server-stats-unofficial/?p=435473 and the posts that followed.

From what I could tell from the discussion on the stats, unloading cargo was something triggered from the MP mission itself. Maybe one of the mission gurus (Gambit21?) could help??

IIRC, it won't produce anything to the mission logs. That's what I meant by "half implemented". Vaal's stats system parses mission logs. So no can do.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18056-il2-server-stats-unofficial/page-6?do=findComment&comment=435473

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

Even now we are doing the paratrooper capture and repair canister drop by having a trigger, which destroys a specifically named fake_block, resulting in a log entry, which in turn results in the java application picking it up from the logs. That being said, the logs still don't contain the information needed to connect the fake_block destruction to the player action.

I like the settings.  It is not too easy, you still need to treat AA with respect when attacking targets or it will kill you, but it has reduced the chance of getting hit by heavy flack from a mile away.

but it has reduced the chance of getting hit by heavy flack from a mile away.

Really? Because the 37 mm & heavy AAA has been on normal level for quite a while already :)

Had fun tonight till I got lost on the way home from my first ever bombing session in the J88.

Seemed to be in right direction passing by red af which was the half way mark to the factory but then I lost my way and flew till out of fuel and just then jumped by a red fighter, grrr.

Pity there aren't more people on the server.

Oh what I fprgot to mention were bad studders / frame drops when ground control was making anouncements in flight.

Frames would dive on occasion which doesn't happen to me on TAW.

Just a heads up on that one.

Really? Because the 37 mm & heavy AAA has been on normal level for quite a while already :)

Oh?  Perhaps I have just been luckier the last few days :-)   I am still finding light AA quite deadly but I would not want it dumbed down too much. 

I like this server, although is the only server where my frame rate drops to in the 60s rather than the 80 frame rate I have it locked at.

I turned off the Tech thing and it jumped straight back to normal. Felt good flying without it actually

Where does the score in the Pilot rankings come from?  I have a squad mate that has a score of 5490 to my 2150 yet our stats seem very similar and the scores shown on our pilot pages are only 200 apart (725 - 916).  We have both died 9 times but I have bailed 3 times to his 13.  I have destroyed 102 targets to his 49 but he has 3 air kills to my 2.  He has lost 31 aircraft and I have lost 23. I have done 59 sorties, he has done 50.      I get that he shows a bigger score on his pilot page because he might have landed after getting kills more often than me even though he bailed more times but why such a huge difference in the Pilots ranking table?   What is it measuring?

Oh what I fprgot to mention were bad studders / frame drops when ground control was making anouncements in flight.

I like this server, although is the only server where my frame rate drops to in the 60s rather than the 80 frame rate I have it locked at.

I turned off the Tech thing and it jumped straight back to normal. Felt good flying without it actually

Both the games hud, and the in game messages have been coded pretty lousily in my thinking. Yes, messages cause a clear stutter, but it would be a shame to lose them. And some have seen even 50% fps drop when enabling the hud :)

Where does the score in the Pilot rankings come from?  I have a squad mate that has a score of 5490 to my 2150 yet our stats seem very similar and the scores shown on our pilot pages are only 200 apart (725 - 916).  We have both died 9 times but I have bailed 3 times to his 13.  I have destroyed 102 targets to his 49 but he has 3 air kills to my 2.  He has lost 31 aircraft and I have lost 23. I have done 59 sorties, he has done 50.      I get that he shows a bigger score on his pilot page because he might have landed after getting kills more often than me even though he bailed more times but why such a huge difference in the Pilots ranking table?   What is it measuring?

The statistics system is made by FB-Vaal, one of the game developers so we don't know exactly how it works(how it scores stuff) :) ...  We have tuned the points it gives for airplanes vs. ground targets so, that it gives more points for ground targets than for air targets on our server. This server is all about ground war after all :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Untamo, I think the sim needs to be multi threaded in coding. Single thread coding severely limits the sim. I would be more than happy to sponsor the devs a Ryzen processor or two but come one, we have had dual core/ multithreaded us for almosta decade.

Untamo, I think the sim needs to be multi threaded in coding. Single thread coding severely limits the sim. I would be more than happy to sponsor the devs a Ryzen processor or two but come one, we have had dual core/ multithreaded us for almosta decade.

Let's be patient. Performance improvements could come after Kuban https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoLQAkoE6Vw&t=2h30m20s

I so do hope. Ar present on a AMD fx8350 with a AMD 390 graphics c rd running mem at 3200, I find no difference in fps between 1080p and 1440p and again not much from Balanced to Ultra grphics settings.

Makes me think a lot of the fps improvements is in cpu single threading. What I hooe is this is adressed soon after Kubans release for both servers in mp and game clients.

Looking at a new rig early next year but not sure what improvements it will bring to BOX. Least I know for Uhrs Diva, a Ryzen CPU will be great. ( music soft synth that is quite hard on CUPs).

Loving this server, but is there any chance we could have the RPK-10 navigation beacons working for the Russian air bases?

Thank you in anticipation.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Loving this server, but is there any chance we could have the RPK-10 navigation beacons working for the Russian air bases?

Thank you in anticipation.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Might be that none of the fields had the radar object spawned. Have to check.

Is there a way of telling whether the current map is summer/autumn/winter before you spawn in?  Either from the lobby or from a webpage like http://il2missionplanner.com/#virtualpilotsfi ?

The reason for asking is so I can select an appropriate paintscheme. I'm sure the information is there, but I simply can't see it! Must be the snow-blindness...