LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Yeah ive changed my opinion aswell in most cases the AA can be dealt with.

But yesterday my squadmates and me encountered an AA piece that was probably bugged

BhQl9iu.jpg

I dont know if this is intended or not?

Its 3 AA pieces placed in exactly the same spot and it shot at me and my friend at the same time

lkY9cWQ.jpg

uyHpIke.jpg

These two screenshots were taken at roughly the same time, from different planes. You can see the AA shoot at both of us at once.

While i have changed my mind about the AA skill levels, I think that this negates the use of tactics against AA.

He only attacked that AA piece because I was dragging it, yet it could shoot him down at the same time.

I would suggest either putting more AA positions with only a single piece in one spot, or simply remove the additional pieces that are in the same place, depending on wether this is intentional or not, because the way it is right now its unrealistic and confusing.

It was the meshkova depot in 2108 or somewhere close to that.

EDIT: I just checked, it was meshkova.

Edited by =ARTOA=Bombenleger

Imho the light AAA on most online-servers is done wrong. It hurts if the server in general is that good like this Finnish one. For me the light AAA ruins low-level flight on most online-servers. I don't want to adapt my reactions and procedures to artefacts.

No offence intended, please - it depends on the perspective. Most admins seem to be interested in a balanced GAMEplay. So they use the current state of light AAA the get the gameplay they want. That's perfectly fine if you want to play a game. It makes the mud-work difficult, pilots need special training. One has to come in numbers and learn adapted procedures to survive this kind of AAA.

But I'm not interested in playing war games, I'd like to fly a simulation. And looking at the reports from WW2, the light AAA in IL2-BoX is reacting very different from history. From opening up on extremely long ranges to the super-human aiming, lot's of artefacts. Just look at the numbers - an average kill by optically guided light AAA in WW2 needed thousands of rounds. With standard BoX-settings it needs some dozen, maybe some hundred when scaled down. This has been discussed often here in the forums and not much has changed.

I know some server-admins see the problems and tried to find solutions, but it seems to be very difficult. Maybe we just have to hope the developers see the problem, too. And finally change the light AAA. Or add some object settings allowing the admins to change it. Believe me, if I had the time, my first project with the editor would try to tame the light AAA. Imho this aspect is the worst in BoX.

• Upvote 4

I need to change tack, I've been so focused lately on trying to push the front line, that very few of my birds and virtual pilots make it home. Even if AA is down sooner or later I F up and crash into the target i'm strafing or near by lol

I need to get in, quickly do the job I came to do, then get out.

But yesterday my squadmates and me encountered an AA piece that was probably bugged

I think I found the issue. Need a tweak to respawn logics of AAA at depots and factories.

I think I found the issue. Need a tweak to respawn logics of AAA at depots and factories.

Cool, glad I could help by pointing out a bug.

I would like to say thank you for this great server, couldnt bring myself to fly on another server since I discovered it. ;)

EDIT: server bugged out again

I tried it tonight, in VR. The stutters are a real problem, I won't be flying there again unless it's improved. My suggestion would be to simplify the map drastically. Keep the number of MCU_Translator_Icon (or whatever they are called) to a minimum. I have a feeling that every time you update the status of an icon, the entire map markings are rebuilt, leading to the massive stutter.

Something else that might be worth doing if you have lots of checkzones is to keep them enabled only 20ms at a time. Typically you don't need to spawn things the second a plane comes within x km of a target. It might be enough to test once every 15s or so. If you then shift the "phase" of the checks of each checkzone, you can have crazy numbers of check zones with very little impact on the tick delay. Which in turns might improve stability. Or not. I don't know if the tick delay is a problem for you or not, but I'm using that trick on my server and it's helping.

You've got a very nice system working, but I can't say I enjoyed my time there. Just got shot down repeatedly, this is too hardcore for me. There isn't much time to destroy the tank columns, and between the difficulty to find the tanks, dodge the fighters and the AAA fire, it's a tough life for ground attackers. I'm not sure what the player balance was, maybe that was the problem.

• Upvote 1

I tried it tonight, in VR. The stutters are a real problem, I won't be flying there again unless it's improved. My suggestion would be to simplify the map drastically. Keep the number of MCU_Translator_Icon (or whatever they are called) to a minimum. I have a feeling that every time you update the status of an icon, the entire map markings are rebuilt, leading to the massive stutter.

Something else that might be worth doing if you have lots of checkzones is to keep them enabled only 20ms at a time. Typically you don't need to spawn things the second a plane comes within x km of a target. It might be enough to test once every 15s or so. If you then shift the "phase" of the checks of each checkzone, you can have crazy numbers of check zones with very little impact on the tick delay. Which in turns might improve stability. Or not. I don't know if the tick delay is a problem for you or not, but I'm using that trick on my server and it's helping.

You've got a very nice system working, but I can't say I enjoyed my time there. Just got shot down repeatedly, this is too hardcore for me. There isn't much time to destroy the tank columns, and between the difficulty to find the tanks, dodge the fighters and the AAA fire, it's a tough life for ground attackers. I'm not sure what the player balance was, maybe that was the problem.

Also a VR user here, and while at times the FPS can be a real problem, at other times it can be pretty good. Stutters don't always seem to relate to very much going on in my immediate vicinity.

I have a feeling that every time you update the status of an icon, the entire map markings are rebuilt, leading to the massive stutter.

That isn't the sole reason, as there is stutter when the background java gives a respawn call (which can in effect just be activating a timer that acts as a spawner "gate", i.e. no actual spawning takes place).

I'll look into this. Thanks for the tip. IIRC, you had an example posted about this already.

Hello admin servers:

Very good one.

... but i have a problem that only i see in this server:

I see thigs very blurred and many objects go out at close  distance, like hangars etc.

They comes  when zooming in.

My computer is new, not the best, but good enough.

Intel last gen. at 3.6 ghz

GTX 1070

15Gb RAM

Thanks and best regards.

That's not something we can control via server settings.

Edit: it might be because of some weather conditions, if other servers you fly on have more clear weather.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

i have forget my password for my Finnish virtual pilots dynamic war account ...Is there a way to recover it, or to recreate one?

Can we have airfield capturable by tank attack? Imagine having 20 T-34s capturing the tank base after a battle, then attacking the airfield in the next period, with the Flak 88s and light AA firing at them, then firing back and maybe all the planes at the field spawn as empty AI planes with 20% fuel and take off under fire, flying to the nearest safe airfield. It would be difficult to code, I think, but it would be so cool. Also, I have had another idea on how to increase the amount of ground combat without actually having more units at once. If a tank base is taken out by the attacking tanks there is a chance(40%?) of a force of enemy tanks appearing to retake the depot before the attackers have fortified.

Also, does the stats page ground units killed stats include tanks killed by AT guns and artillery, i.e. AI ground units killing AI ground units?

i have forget my password for my Finnish virtual pilots dynamic war account ...Is there a way to recover it, or to recreate one?

Unfortunately there is no recovery option for the statistics (made by FB-Vaal). But I can recover it through the admin interface, I'll PM you.

Can we have airfield capturable by tank attack? Imagine having 20 T-34s capturing the tank base after a battle, then attacking the airfield in the next period, with the Flak 88s and light AA firing at them, then firing back and maybe all the planes at the field spawn as empty AI planes with 20% fuel and take off under fire, flying to the nearest safe airfield. It would be difficult to code, I think, but it would be so cool. Also, I have had another idea on how to increase the amount of ground combat without actually having more units at once. If a tank base is taken out by the attacking tanks there is a chance(40%?) of a force of enemy tanks appearing to retake the depot before the attackers have fortified.

I think we will take a break from adding new features for a while, and just fix bugs (which do appear from time to time). Let's see after Kuban has been finished.

Also, does the stats page ground units killed stats include tanks killed by AT guns and artillery, i.e. AI ground units killing AI ground units?

I don't think so. Not 100% sure, but quite sure.

For the icons, showing on the map, the segments between depot and combat zones / airfield, are they necessary for the calculations of the repair times?
They may be responsible for some of the stuttering observed ?

Since the repair time information is available via the order "<field", we can do without the display of these icons.

The segment icons are not needed for calculations. They are there to illustrate where the battle progresses after a tank battle is won.

No. Only player made kills are shown in stats.

Any ETA on how long untill the Hs 129 B-2 is added to the missions?

Two weeks, be sure. :)

Joking aside, in a few days when I find time.

server just bugged out right when i was about to capture gorstovo :(

EDIT: one question do i have to land the ju52 to capture, or can i drop the parachuters over the field?

server just bugged out right when i was about to capture gorstovo :(

Sorry about that, but the server jammed :( ... It should be available for capture after the restart.

EDIT: one question do i have to land the ju52 to capture, or can i drop the parachuters over the field?

You can just drop the paratroopers. They need to land alive.