=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

i got badly damaged last run but managed to land without wing loss or engine killing. Still, the plane counts and "ditched"...

Is this normal, or was this due to the server being so laggy? I mean, in 3.006 it would have counted as a "landed".

10 hours ago, 335th_GRDaedalos said:

I think that the devs did a great job with the current system. It controls the flow very well. As for the time zone it will always be a problem no matter what. If you try to balance numerically the teams it will lead only to disappointment and many squads will not to fly any more. We have seen this in ADW.

As for statistics. Currently

Top 50 squads - 29 blues/21 reds

That converts to 278 to 206 pilots.

From them

Top five fighter pilots 2blue 3 reds

Top five bomber pilots 2 reds 3 blues

Top five tank busters pilots 3 blues 2 reds

Top five fighter squads 2 red 3 blues

Top five bomber squads 2red 3 blues

Top five tank busters squads 4 red 1 blue

I think is quite as balanced as it can be. Now if someone feels that it has to be 50 / 50, well my opinion is that it will never be. This will turn either to blue or the red side, as it was for the first 10 campaigns, but hey then nobody complained so much. Now from nowhere everybody complains. I use to fly when it where 10 blues with 30 reds. So what?!?!?! I took my Ju, did my job everything ok. Then this it was a problem, the load out, the gunnery att depot, so it changed, ok. Acceptable! Again the same hordes of reds.

But now for the sake of balance new discussion, nothing creative to say and the statistics are showing no other but that everything works relative ok. But noooooooo. Attacking fellow pilots with insulting under the table meaning on the capability to fly etc is ok.  

Look at the map how it turned. Time zone unfortunately it will be a problem always. Please fly, just fly. There are people that really enjoy flying. Unfortunately it cannot be perfect and the devs they are doing A GREAT JOB to balance situation without restrictions to free will and I believe they will push it a lot more.

How the campaign is turning out has a lot to do with pilot coordination and skill on both sides more than anything else. You are using the argument "Hey, they get outnumbered most of the day and are still managing to fight back" as an excuse to justify the issues with balance. It is like saying, "Barcelona has Messi playing for then so the next Champion's League match, his team is only allowed to field 5 players". Cmon man, don't be ridiculous! There is no easy way to fix this issue but there are ways to make it better and this is what most are trying here. Giving excuses like yours do not help the improvements.

Facts:

- The vast majority of our IL-2 community flies LW. Don't believe me? Look at WoL (click here and here), Coconut (click here), KOTA (click here), and check all previous TAW campaigns in terms of numbers. The reason vary greatly from trying to be like the German Experten, cool skins, squad rules, etc ... But the greatest, IMHO, is the fact that German have better AC for the time frame we are simulating. You can easily see the latter  when you go into KOTA and see some well-known LW only guys flying the likes of P-47 and such. It always has been like this, since the previous 1946 game. In Spit vs 109 and Aces Over Europe, everyone would jump into the German fighters in Eastern Front missions (especially the early ones) and then go to the Allies for 1944-45 missions. We cannot be naive to think the same thing won't happen here in TAW and try to devise a system to, at least, ameliorate that. I'm totally fine with people flying for one side all the time, but I hate when they join a mission and stack the shit out of it like when it is 30 LW x 20 VVS and 20 LW join in like it is not going to make a change to the mission's balance. So, there needs to be a fair system to, at least, control that. Introducing the following should make it, at least, fair:

- Cap limiter: Each side is only allowed to field 42 players. This is a must to the fairness of the campaign. It gives the opportunity for the side with less players to have more players join the server when the other side is full. It is fair because the majority side cannot block the server with all their numbers, they will be always capped to 42. What we current have is ridiculous and we will (and are seeing) situations where, depending on the time zone, there are 62 x 22 players etc. This kind of imbalance destroys the mission being flown and dissuade the minority side from even flying the mission. But what if the side you want to fly is full when you want to join? Well, either create an account for the other side and enjoy the campaign that way or don't join the mission and go do something else for that time being but, at least, the extra players won't disrupt the fairness and balance of the mission. You gotta remember, TAW is not a simple server, training server like WoL, but a competition. You cannot have a competition be unfair and should have rules to ensure the competition feels like a true competition where both sides have the same chances at winning;

- Current Spawn limiter: This of course may need some tweaking and all but helps the minority side in situations that the server would reach a 42 x 10 with the cap limiter. The minority side would gain a small bonus (forcing the Majority side to take-off from the far AFs). Of course this system is an annoyance for the majority side but, guess what?!, flying in a stacked server is also an annoyance to the minority side. At least this system still allow the sticking team to fly and it is not as rigorous as kicking players on the majority side to balance the mission or forcing anyone to fly planes they don't want;

- Kicking people when server is full: This will increase the rotation of the pilots and allow pilots waiting to join the server a chance to fly when the server is full.

- There are only 84 players allowed in the server: It is problematic that we have a lot more squadrons in certain time zones than the server can accommodate. This is a fact that we cannot currently fix and people will be left out when too many squadrons try to join during, for example, EU prime time. But, here again, at least the ones in the mission are having a balanced experience.

Like I said, there are no easy or perfect solution to fix the issue but, at least this way, IMHO, TAW remains fair which is a MUST in a server that strives to be a competition.

Sorry for the wall of text.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

14 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

- Kicking people when server is full: This will increase the rotation of the pilots and allow pilots waiting to join the server a chance to fly when the server is full.

You bring up some valid suggestions except, IMHO, this one.  ^^^^  Are you suggesting kick people randomly or some other method? I'd hate to be waiting for my buddies to return home (after I got shot down) so we can fly out together only to get kicked because I was in spectator mode for two to three minutes.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

Just now, [TWB]Sketch said:

You bring up some valid suggestions except, IMHO, this one.  ^^^^  Are you suggesting kick people randomly or some other method? I'd hate to be waiting for my buddies to return home (after I got shot down) so we can fly out together only to get kicked because I was in spectator mode for two to three minutes.

Sorry, I should fix that. I meant kicking people when the cap limiter is reached if they die.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Sorry, I should fix that. I meant kicking people when the cap limiter is reached if they die.

I thought that was Already implemented, I face planted into the dirt in a giant explosion after getting ripped up. 3ish seconds later I was booted. It was a half full server or Full.

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Facts:

- The vast majority of our IL-2 community flies LW. Don't believe me? Look at WoL (click here and here), Coconut (click here), KOTA (click here), and check all previous TAW campaigns in terms of numbers. The reason vary greatly from trying to be like the German Experten, cool skins, squad rules, etc ... But the greatest, IMHO, is the fact that German have better AC for the time frame we are simulating. You can easily see the latter  when you go into KOTA and see some well-known LW only guys flying the likes of P-47 and such. It always has been like this, since the previous 1946 game. In Spit vs 109 and Aces Over Europe, everyone would jump into the German fighters in Eastern Front missions (especially the early ones) and then go to the Allies for 1944-45 missions. We cannot be naive to think the same thing won't happen here in TAW and try to devise a system to, at least, ameliorate that. I'm totally fine with people flying for one side all the time, but I hate when they join a mission and stack the shit out of it like when it is 30 LW x 20 VVS and 20 LW join in like it is not going to make a change to the mission's balance. So, there needs to be a fair system to, at least, control that. Introducing the following should make it, at least, fair:

You have some ideas that are correct but sometimes times you are simply stuck with things. It is the time zone that you talking about. And yes probably it may be like that. But please do not bring up wrong things. Where exactly are the more LW pilots in WoL...….

I don't like it also when I have to CAP or CAS without facing an enemy, but what the heck, it is a campaign server. Coordinate, strike, win if you can. I'll do my part. It is not a dogfight server, although it has a lot of that. I will never ask for balance because I would like to fly in a balanced server in my time zone (yes I am living in EU too, so I do work until 1700 so I can join at 1900 to 2100). It interests me more the fact of damage model of targets, the bomb loadout, the AAA etc.

Probably I am wrong. Or you can say that I am out of the game. In my experience people who stream into balance are the once who do care for everything but the game. I really do not now if you where flying in ADW all the previous years. If you did you should know that one of the reasons that the best campaign server in il2_1946 failed the last years where discussion like this one that came up.

UFO planes, Balance, mods etc.

It is better to stop that discussion, talk more why our bombs are not having the same effect as they use to and how we can solve actual problems. Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances.....

tnx 

@Daedalos

wol.png

Edited by 335th_GRDaedalos

Easy fix just make every single plane in the game a 109k4 from the beginning of the war to the end completely fair and balanced. Or maybe the F4. This way everyone can pretend to be their idol eric hartmann. WOL is usually stacked blues but they lose all the time. The answer is simple, nobody flies ground attack on LW because literally everyone flies a 109. I don't get it, I don't even like the damn plane.

Edited by 392FS_Jred
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 392FS_Jred said:

Easy fix just make every single plane in the game a 109k4 from the beginning of the war to the end completely fair and balanced. Or maybe the F4. This way everyone can pretend to be their idol eric hartmann. WOL is usually stacked blues but they lose all the time. The answer is simple, nobody flies ground attack on LW because literally everyone flies a 109. I don't get it, I don't even like the damn plane.

Hey now, some of us fly the duck instead!

(And die in almost every mission as a result...)

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, [GCA]T1m270 said:

Enjoying this campaign so far!

Could anyone enlighten me on some of the mechanics I dont quite understand yet?

Supplies - On the ingame mission briefing, is 0% full or empty for a airfield's supplies? I only ask as most of the rear ones had 10-15% supplies while some of the damaged front line ones had ~80%.  Does this mean they have 80% of supplies left, or they have used 80% of supplies? 

Paratroopers - Not seeing any paratrooper Pe2 variants on VVS?

Objective hit points - Things like train cars I am finding VERY tough to hurt with cannons, has the HP on small vehicles/statics been doubled?

Cheers!

100% of supplies means that airfield has full supply and it may use it to lower the damage level. 

There is no paratrooper PE2 variant

Objective hit points - maybe something was changed after the latest patch. I have to check it.

3 hours ago, JG4_Deciman said:

Possible new bug on suply missions...

Just had 2 flights with a Ju52 with freight
(both times manually unloaded freight after a successfull landing at the airfield and no changes to the plane setup between them)
First flight took 15:12 and was credited with a CM.
Second flight took 14:53 and did not result in a CM.

Both times same airfields used...

Deci

Onyl 18% of fuel. It isn't enough to make transport mission. Use 100% of fuel. You got CM because flight time was more than 15 min.

2 hours ago, Krupinskii said:

Not sure if you guys saw this @=LG=Kathon

Yes, I replied. But in our case it's not the issue.

2 hours ago, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

i got badly damaged last run but managed to land without wing loss or engine killing. Still, the plane counts and "ditched"...

Is this normal, or was this due to the server being so laggy? I mean, in 3.006 it would have counted as a "landed".

In 3.006 it wouldn't have been counted as "landed" because you landed on the closed Lotoshino airfield. 

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

In 3.006 it wouldn't have been counted as "landed" because you landed on the closed Lotoshino airfield. 

ty for explanation. Had forgotten that aspect.

Additional question though : does  a "ditched" airplane count as a "lost airplane"? My pilot stats say I lost 1 plane (the ditched one), but does that ditched one then also count in the global numbers of planes lost?

2 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Just to add to this, maybe a time limit before they can rejoin the server,

this would not be popular i know, but it would allow others waiting to join.

And also make people look after their virtual pilot....

And on a positive note, maybe reduce the number of pilot deaths?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 335th_GRDaedalos said:

You have some ideas that are correct but sometimes times you are simply stuck with things. It is the time zone that you talking about. And yes probably it may be like that. But please do not bring up wrong things. Where exactly are the more LW pilots in WoL...….

I don't like it also when I have to CAP or CAS without facing an enemy, but what the heck, it is a campaign server. Coordinate, strike, win if you can. I'll do my part. It is not a dogfight server, although it has a lot of that. I will never ask for balance because I would like to fly in a balanced server in my time zone (yes I am living in EU too, so I do work until 1700 so I can join at 1900 to 2100). It interests me more the fact of damage model of targets, the bomb loadout, the AAA etc.

Probably I am wrong. Or you can say that I am out of the game. In my experience people who stream into balance are the once who do care for everything but the game. I really do not now if you where flying in ADW all the previous years. If you did you should know that one of the reasons that the best campaign server in il2_1946 failed the last years where discussion like this one that came up.

UFO planes, Balance, mods etc.

It is better to stop that discussion, talk more why our bombs are not having the same effect as they use to and how we can solve actual problems. Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances.....

tnx 

@Daedalos

1. "Where exactly are the more LW pilots in WoL?" - First, before respond saying I'm wrong, make sure you know what I'm talking about. Look at the picture you sent me and you will see that there are 612 players flying exclusively as LW and 493 as VVS. So, no, I'm not wrong. This is the same for the major servers and this is a fact. Feel free to look at it yourself. Does this mean there will be LW stacking all the times, no, not at all, just like in TAW, but the chances are higher to have a totally unbalanced mission. Introducing the cap limiter would help such occassions;

2. but what the heck, it is a campaign server. - Exactly and because it is not a dogfight server and a competitive campaign, it should be fair to both sides hence the suggested changes;

3. I will never ask for balance because I would like to fly in a balanced server in my time zone - You are contradicting yourself here. If you cannot join the server flying for one side maybe next campaign you join the other side. I know what you are going to say: "But I only fly LW .....". That is the main source of the issue and you want everybody else to cater for your needs and preference when that is not the goal of the campaign. You said it yourself, it is not a dogfight server. If all you want to fly is LW for this and all the future campaigns and don't have a spot because the majority thinks just like you and want to stack one side, then fly somewhere else. At least, for those in the mission and participating in the campaign, it will be fair and more balanced. How is it fair to the other players that want to fly other sides that you only fly LW and when they switch to the LW the server becomes a total mess in numbers?

4. It is better to stop that discussion, talk more why our bombs are not having the same effect as they use to and how we can solve actual problems. Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances..... - Discussion is a way to listen to individuals opinions and improve something. Without discussions, our society would be even worse than what it is. The reason you don't like to discuss this is because you fear changes may put in a position uncomfortable regarding your AC/side preference.

5. Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances..... -  Winning and balance are not necessarily connected. A soccer team with 11 players with 8 that suck facing one with 5 players at Messi skill level might lose but that does not mean its is balanced.

Edited by SCG_Riksen
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, 335th_GRDaedalos said:

Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances.....

Well, considering that right now Red is well on the way to killing the f*ck out of Blue's tanks, depriving Blue of a major offense component.  I'd say the post-update extra-tough tanks are saving Blue right now. 

You might say "but Blue kills tanks too.", and that is true, but let's face it -  Blue doesn't have nearly as many pilots that will fly as tank killers much less fly nearly every mission as tank killers.  Sure, Blue has dedicated bomber and attacker pilots, but I assure you Red has more.  I highly doubt most Blue will even fly their bombers if they use up their 109s and 110 available and would rather do transport or wait for their next +1 to come into their list.  Maybe that's your imbalance right there....

40 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Well, considering that right now Red is well on the way to killing the f*ck out of Blue's tanks, depriving Blue of a major offense component.  I'd say the post-update extra-tough tanks are saving Blue right now. 

I mean yeah Killing tanks off is nice and prevents enemy tank columns from spawning, but we are losing a shit ton of Airplanes during the Axis Prime time. 

Look at missions 45,44 and 41 all three of those missions we lost more a total of 123 Aircraft, and thats not counting the rest of the missions today. We arent going to win this if we get more missions where we loose planes in the 40's.

Edited by MentalishMan
Editing.

1 hour ago, MentalishMan said:

I mean yeah Killing tanks off is nice and prevents enemy tank columns from spawning, but we are losing a shit ton of Airplanes during the Axis Prime time. 

Look at missions 45,44 and 41 all three of those missions we lost more a total of 123 Aircraft, and thats not counting the rest of the missions today. We arent going to win this if we get more missions where we loose planes in the 40's.

MAP #1 is going to be extremely difficult for Red to win, but player count is currently 20 Red vs. 3 Blue.  Red can't really destroy non-present Blue planes, but it can wreak havoc on ground targets and push the territory fence back hard right now.   My honest assessment though:  If Blue wins, it will be a very close match.  If Red wins, it will be a miracle.  Even for me, that's a bit tough to chew being that I sided with Red.  

(Someday I'll delve into flying Axis planes but it probably won't be anytime soon.)    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

MAP #1 is going to be extremely difficult for Red to win, but player count is currently 20 Red vs. 3 Blue.  Red can't really destroy non-present Blue planes, but it can wreak havoc on ground targets and push the territory fence back hard right now.   My honest assessment though:  If Blue wins, it will be a very close match.  If Red wins, it will be a miracle.  Even for me, that's a bit tough to chew being that I sided with Red.  

(Someday I'll delve into flying Axis planes but it probably won't be anytime soon.)    

Oh I know, Im hella surprised we're clawing this land back. I know we will get BTFO'd in the morning by JG/4 pushing us back to our starting lines. We just need people running on VOIP comms and working Together instead of having Headless Pilots running in Solo and getting show down by a 20mm. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, MentalishMan said:

The I-16 is a pretty fun aircraft to fly out, I was pretty skeptical about it and not much of a Fighter Pilot. 

Yeah but it's fun in a more novelty way and when your opponent has the Bf 109 it's not as amusing 

15 minutes ago, MentalishMan said:

Oh I know, Im hella surprised we're clawing this land back. I know we will get BTFO'd in the morning by JG/4 pushing us back to our starting lines. We just need people running on VOIP comms and working Together instead of having Headless Pilots running in Solo and getting show down by a 20mm. 

I've been getting into TAW TeamSpeak when I play, but it's not been too often.  Minor health issues have had me able to check the TAW page but without energy to push a long session.

I agree that coordinated efforts are needed.  I will say that I've had a few solo flights where I was able to identify targets the opponents were unlikely to be covering and came out alive.  

I have enough experience (I'd like to believe) to be counted in the 'intermediate skill' ranks of players and (probably more importantly) I can read a map.  Going solo with weak navigation skills is guaranteed death.  

In solo flights I took I knew I could either quickly run home to friendly AA cover or take a longer route and use the cover of near-blind weather to hit and run.  Needless to say, friendly AA cover isn't always easy to get to and near-blind weather is not a regular occurrence.  So...umm...yeah... Teaming up is 99% of the time ALOT better. 

5 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

4. It is better to stop that discussion, talk more why our bombs are not having the same effect as they use to and how we can solve actual problems. Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances..... - Discussion is a way to listen to individuals opinions and improve something. Without discussions, our society would be even worse than what it is. The reason you don't like to discuss this is because you fear changes may put in a position uncomfortable regarding your AC/side preference.

5. Jesus the reds will win the map with so many imbalances..... -  Winning and balance are not necessarily connected. A soccer team with 11 players with 8 that suck facing one with 5 players at Messi skill level might lose but that does not mean its is balanced.

I think you and many others have misunderstood me. Probably due to my bad English. Excuse me for that, you see English are not my mother language, not even the third.

As I understand you have answer yourself the question you asked. There is a big difference between the numerical equilibrium and the balance in a game, sport, life, war etc.

What you are pointing to so intensively is the numerical equilibrium if I understand you correctly, when I do not care. If I have a Mesi on my team I don’t care if the other team has 10 Schmeichel. If I have a Pepe, I don’t care if you are Mourinho.

You are expressing in numbers, me in weight. You see I learn exactly as you said. Number not always count. Quality does, most of times.

There are some respectful squads in the game, yours included, that make the difference. You are compering champion’s league with the B league and you want to put it all in the same sack. It does not go that way. 

Most of the ''numerical more'' squads simply follow.  If you think that is so important to drive out them from the game (because that will happent if you are going to Point to them sides), it is ok. But this is called elitism and it has nothing to do with balance. It has to do with other perspectives, which I am sure nobody wants to analyze here.

I said to stop discussing that topic, not discuss at all, because I saw it coming.

Please don’t misunderstand me. It’s not personal.

Tnx

@Daedalos

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tincannavy said:

Yeah but it's fun in a more novelty way and when your opponent has the Bf 109 it's not as amusing 

So what do you want to face in your I-16?
Only Stukas? :dry:

If you're having trouble facing Emils, I have really bad news for you regarding next maps...

1 hour ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

So what do you want to face in your I-16?
Only Stukas? :dry:

If you're having trouble facing Emils, I have really bad news for you regarding next maps...

I don't want to face anything in an I-16, and neither does he I think.  More honor to those who do it and succeed I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Talon_ said:
~Gif~

We're doing what we can Red :salute:

Wow!

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

18 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

We're doing what we can Red :salute:

There were impressive raids indeed! The second one not as scaled as the first one, but still, very impressive. I was defending the second depot and I was nearly shot down by the furious Pe’s. 

Very nice job! Congrats!

20 hours ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

Actually it is really confusing.

This morning, I was above a tank column, spotted an intact KV-1. Dropped a 500kg bomb on him, his engine started smoking black after my run, so I let him and go back to base.

Checked the log after my sortie, no damage written at all.
That's weird, I don't know if it's the stat page who didn't count anything, or if it was looking intact but was actually already destroyed.

Since I recorded this sortie, I checked the replay, it didn't look damaged at all before my bomb run, and was clearly badly hit after my bomb.

Looks like the stats are bugged . 

2 hours ago, II./JG77_Con said:

Looks like the stats are bugged . 

Tank was probably destroyed already. You can't say that fresh looking tank is alive or not after patch 😕

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, =LG=Coldman said:

Tank was probably destroyed already. You can't say that fresh looking tank is alive or not after patch 😕

I Think, It happens with the trains also. We had the same problem with a train yesterday. I flew over our train that was reported bombed and I could not see the difference of a destroyed wagon from a healthy.

And artilery depot. We bombed a lot of them but no mission credits, when at the same time the fighters reported that everything was burning.

:mellow:

Ive hit tanks with bombs and BK3.7 and they look undamaged with no smoke . Ive landed and seen in stat that tank was destroyed but in TAW stat page no kill awarded . The states are bugged as seeing here people are shooting down enemy yet have no stat reported . The last two patches have upset the multiplayer system . There is a big list of bugs for multiplayer .

I enjoy TAW and the hard work that goes into this campaign by the Guys ``but this game should be stable by now so that we can build on it .

Edited by II./JG77_Con

11 hours ago, Tincannavy said:

I wonder if the P-40 was made 0/2 on map 1 if it would improve attractiveness for Red pilots. Today once you earn a P-40 it's extremely precious and you have no backup plane. The I16, I'm sorry, is almost useless against 109s. I've heard many of our pilots mentioning over comms how reluctant they are to 'risk' their P-40, and there are many missions where if they don't have a P-40 they cannot fly fighter cover for a deep bomber strike -- the I16 just doesn't have the range.

Man those little i16's are like gnats when a 109 comes around, had some good fun this morning busting that tank column up with a few other i16's and a il2. Got a p-40 finally and now I am scared to do anything with it!

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, SCG_Riksen said:

- Cap limiter: Each side is only allowed to field 42 players.

- Current Spawn limiter: ... this system still allow the sticking team to fly and it is not as rigorous as kicking players on the majority side to balance the mission or forcing anyone to fly planes they don't want;

- Kicking people [if they die] when server is full

Like I said, there are no easy or perfect solution to fix the issue but, at least this way, IMHO, TAW remains fair which is a MUST in a server that strives to be a competition.

Riksen,

Nice wall of text - no apologies needed.  :biggrin:   I haven't had enough sim time available lately to make flying TAW worthwhile, but I flew some in several of the early ones, and plan to join up again by mid December, if I can keep brushing up my skills until then.  I really think these are good suggestions & hope they can be implemented at some point.  Believe they would really enhance what TAW is all about, so thanks for the post.

A few words on that 2nd point.  I'm one of the [probably many] people who fly red almost all the time, for the sake of helping keep things reasonably even.  (Your comments about blue/red pilot numbers are obviously true.)  Sure, I & others like me could fly 'what I want to, all the time,' but my parents taught me you're supposed to outgrow that level of self-centeredness soon after puberty if not before, for the most part anyway.  ;)  If we all had that mindset, the numbers would be even more one-sided than they already are.  Personally I enjoy the challenge of being the 'underdog' (unless it's massively imbalanced), and I always prefer it over being on the side with over-dominant numbers (seriously, how is that any fun??).  I'll keep doing what I do & enjoying it, flying for the other side once in a while when it makes sense & I suspect many others will do the same.  I'm not complaining about it either.  I just want to point out that a spawn limiter that prevents people from joining on the majority side is not what would keep them from joining the match & flying.  It is their choice to fly one side only that prevents them from joining & flying at that point.  They can't blame the spawn limiter since a decision to be a little more flexible would allow them to join.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, StG77_Kondor said:

Correct. It's not being consistently applied. It's not automatic that a wrecked track = dead tank. I've been testing in QMB against both blue and red tanks and it is the same. A busted track does not always mean the game gives you credit for its' destruction. And the only way to know is to have icons on or keep smashing TAB. Both of which, IMO are far less realistic than just having each tank blow up when they're dead.

"Far less realistic"???   Sorry, totally disagree.  I'd say it makes the ground targets far less 'gamey,' and adds much more realistic 'fog of war' to the ground attack scenario - and this is coming from someone who flies a lot more ground attack than fighters in IL-2.  For example I'm sure you realize that de-tracking alone only immobilizes a real tank, temporarily; it can still fight if it's crew stays in it.  We know for a fact that 1942 Sturmovik or Stuka pilots had very little idea how many vehicles they truly destroyed as they flew back home, because records reveal huge overclaims were rampant on all sides, especially tank claims.  Sure, the new damage modeling changes the game & adds a lot more uncertainty.  It means that now you're best bet is to attack in a larger group that is communicating, so you can ensure all targets are hit, and hit hard enough to raise the odds that they're destroyed or badly damaged. If you must go in pairs or singles, it's now imperative to communicate with the rest of your team & learn whether your target was already hit or not, and which part(s) of it might be less damaged & need your bombs.  Now I love the satisfaction of the always-exploding tank as much as anyone, but like it or not, I think this change brought a lot more realism to this aspect of the game than it had up to now.  My hat's off to the devs on this change, for sure.

Edited by =FI=Blue2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I just logged in for the first time today.  I received a 15 minute ban after being logged in for 5 seconds.  :huh:

13 minutes ago, =FI=Blue2 said:

"Far less realistic"???   Sorry, totally disagree.  I'd say it makes the ground targets far less 'gamey,' and adds much more realistic 'fog of war' to the ground attack scenario - and this is coming from someone who flies a lot more ground attack than fighters in IL-2.  For example I'm sure you realize that de-tracking alone only immobilizes a real tank, temporarily; it can still fight if it's crew stays in it.  We know for a fact that 1942 Sturmovik or Stuka pilots had very little idea how many vehicles they truly destroyed as they flew back home, because records reveal huge overclaims were rampant on all sides, especially tank claims.  Sure, the new damage modeling changes the game & adds a lot more uncertainty.  It means that now you're best bet is to attack in a larger group that is communicating, so you can ensure all targets are hit, and hit hard enough to raise the odds that they're destroyed or badly damaged. If you must go in pairs or singles, it's now imperative to communicate with the rest of your team & learn whether your target was already hit or not, and which part(s) of it might be less damaged & need your bombs.  Now I love the satisfaction of the always-exploding tank as much as anyone, but like it or not, I think this change brought a lot more realism to this aspect of the game than it had up to now.  My hat's off to the devs on this change, for sure.

My 'far less realistic' was about hitting TAB or having icons on in order to see which tanks are dead or alive, after each strafing/bomb/rocket attack. It is impossible to tell while flying in a plane going 300kph if the left or right track in that Panzer III or T-34 is busted.

We play a game. A real simulation would require at a minimum a full cabin capable of mimicking real life G's etc etc. Does the game simulate as best it can with technology available to the masses? Absolutely. But this is a game. Furthermore, in a hyper-competitive environment like TAW where the best of the best fly, as a ground pounder it is demoralizing. Why spend the time mapping out the perfect flight plan with your friends only to bomb a tank that looked totally fine but someone had thrown a rock at it and busted its' track? You not only wasted your time, you've also wasted your friends and escorts time. All that effort would've been better applied flying transport missions instead. If I wanted to do that, I'd fly a Flight Sim - not a Combat one. 

7 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

I just logged in for the first time today.  I received a 15 minute ban after being logged in for 5 seconds.  :huh:

RTFM :)

· I was kick from the server and now I’m banned from TAW on the servers list, why?

There is slot reservation system which is used sometimes by TAW developers StG2 and =LG= squadrons. To prevent from joining the server when no free slots are available players are temporarily banned. As soon as some free slots are available again all players are unbanned. If server has no more free slots then there is a message on the TAW main page above the map “Server is full!”. Please wait a while in that case.

Source: http://taw.stg2.de/manual.php

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, StG77_Kondor said:

RTFM :)

· I was kick from the server and now I’m banned from TAW on the servers list, why?

There is slot reservation system which is used sometimes by TAW developers StG2 and =LG= squadrons. To prevent from joining the server when no free slots are available players are temporarily banned. As soon as some free slots are available again all players are unbanned. If server has no more free slots then there is a message on the TAW main page above the map “Server is full!”. Please wait a while in that case.

Source: http://taw.stg2.de/manual.php

83/84 slots available when I joined.  Apparently, it let me and another in at the same time, then favored them.  Maybe someday devs will add a viable queue system for joining busy servers....

1 hour ago, =FI=Blue2 said:

Far less realistic"???   Sorry, totally disagree.  I'd say it makes the ground targets far less 'gamey,' and adds much more realistic 'fog of war' to the ground attack scenario - and this is coming from someone who flies a lot more ground attack than fighters in IL-2.  For example I'm sure you realize that de-tracking alone only immobilizes a real tank, temporarily; it can still fight if it's crew stays in it.  We know for a fact that 1942 Sturmovik or Stuka pilots had very little idea how many vehicles they truly destroyed as they flew back home, because records reveal huge overclaims were rampant on all sides, especially tank claims.  Sure, the new damage modeling changes the game & adds a lot more uncertainty.  It means that now you're best bet is to attack in a larger group that is communicating, so you can ensure all targets are hit, and hit hard enough to raise the odds that they're destroyed or badly damaged. If you must go in pairs or singles, it's now imperative to communicate with the rest of your team & learn whether your target was already hit or not, and which part(s) of it might be less damaged & need your bombs.  Now I love the satisfaction of the always-exploding tank as much as anyone, but like it or not, I think this change brought a lot more realism to this aspect of the game than it had up to now.  My hat's off to the devs on this change, for sure.

See Kondor? I told you somebody would say that.  How about when you shoot down an enemy aircraft you only get credit if you were flying with a witness who has to fill out a form and send it to Kathon?  How would that "fog of war" realism go down with the TAW community? How about a 24-hour disciplinary ban for landing the wrong runway direction? How about your campaign's done when you get killed or captured? Plenty of "gamey" stuff in TAW - because it's a game. Thing is, when you cherry-pick historical realism in a simulation,  you can't use the "realism" argument unless EVERY unrealistic aspect is up for debate.

If it were up to me to fix this I'd give a guy a "damaged" credit for knocking off a track, and a "kill" to the guy who blows it up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1