Han

Game version 3.012 discussion: Fw 190 D-9, Prokhorovka, M4A2, PzKpfw.III Ausf.M, Fokker D.VIIF

Regarding the texture. shouldn't the color of the leading edge for the RAAF Spix IX be white instead of yellow ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

Just FYI the basic Spitfire skin is still inaccurate to those used by the RAF for the duration of our campaign after January 3rd 1945 as pictured below. It should have a black nose, no belly band and Type C1 roundels. The skin that we do have with the existing roundels should feature invasion stripes on the bottom of the fuselage or fuselage and wings depending on time period - as currently marked it displays a Spitfire from May 1944 at the latest, much earlier than the time period of Battle of Bodenplatte.

GsxRfp4.png

image.png.b6611ccac1782eb077a25437350c342a.png

image.thumb.png.311e337e486dce3a0e866a35d9d4dec8.png

I wonder if you realize that's not a spitfire but a tempest {top pic}?

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, E69_geramos109 said:

No sé si es una cosa del servidor. Pero acabo de actualizar e ir a las alas de la libertad y tengo muchos errores. El GPS no funciona, los aviones desovan y se destruyen en el mismo lugar, el giro hacia atrás, el texto del límite del mapa al cambiar ...

Supongo que es porque los servidores no se actualizan o algo así. 

1+berloga 

Edited by =gRiJ=ToReRo

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

I wonder if you realize that's not a spitfire but a tempest {top pic}?

I think you may now realize there's one tempest and two spits {top pic}.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😘

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KGM_Roll said:

I think you may now realize there's one tempest and two spits {top pic}.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😘

Lol upon closer inspection yes. I don’t know but all those colors look the same to me. 

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

33 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Lol upon closer inspection yes. I don’t know but all those colors look the same to me. 

Isn't that the purpose of camouflage? ;)

50 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Isn't that the purpose of camouflage? ;)

I’m talking about the raf emblem. 

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Ever so sorry. 

2 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

His diagram is correct. Starting in January 1945, RAF units on the continent (and under the control of the 2nd Tactical Air Force) were ordered to use the Type C1 roundel (with yellow on the outer edge and white in between the red and blue) on upper surfaces to improve visual IFF.

Until then they were using the Type B roundel which lacked the yellow and the white.

Friendly fire became a big issue in 1945 with so many Allied aircraft operating. Tempests and Typhoons in particular suffered.

• Upvote 1

I have lost many of the servers of the list after the update.

3 hours ago, Tag777 said:

I have lost many of the servers of the list after the update.

Yea the server operators have to update their clients separately 

16 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

The game has been just updated to 3.012c:

- The random crash bug has been found and fixed (the game could crash when a plane impacted the ground)

- A multiplayer server won't crash if one of the clients has a custom skin with a very long name
- The calculation of a tank turret armor penetration corrected (the internal explosion of APHE shells)
- Spitfire IX now has 4K textures and skins made by Martin 'ICDP' Catney
- Bf 109 K-4 4K textures updated by Martin 'ICDP' Catney

- Minor text fixes.

Sneaksie and Jason...guys, please.... I am happy with all the new stuff coming but I have had the so-called "premium" Hs129 since it was released. It still does not have a separate trigger for the main cannon! Its great that you have willy's jeeps and so on and so on but come on, it is not acceptable that you have a premium plane that needs a basic function implemented.

There is nothing worse than having to waste some of your 30mm cannon rounds on a flipping AA gun when you have 20mm cannons to do the job. Or if you get jumped and manage to fight back. Then you have to haul your ass all the way back to base because you can't take out any tanks.

It's not in beta, its not in alpha its supposed to be a final finished product that should at least have this basic function.

I do not complain a lot and I support every release you have including Flying circus as well as quite a few gift buys for other members. I do therefore expect a reply and a bit of a commitment to resolve this issue.

15 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

As I have said many times. This is our goal, but will take time.

Jason

Hi Jason.... I don't want anything special, I just want some sort of commitment that someone is working on a fix on the HS129 "premium" plane as mentioned above.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Guys I appreciate the feedback on the late war RAF markings etc but the default Spitfire IX skin is accurate for a winter 1944 Spitfire and fits within the Bodenplatte timeframe perfectly fine.  I know I could just as easily find plenty of images showing the later camouflage as well but the scheme as depicted was fairly typical for that period.

I will of course release an updated template with the fixes and new weathering.

Winter 1944 (note sky spinner and yellow ID stripes on leading edge and lack of underside stripes)

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/late-war-spitfires-of-no-127-squadron.html

Nov 1944 (sky spinner, sky tailband, no invasion stripes on undersides)

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/RAF-308Sqn-ZF/pages/Spitfire-LFIX-RAF-308Sqn-ZFT-Tadeusz-Szlenkier-MK346-shot-down-by-fighters-Ghent-Belgium-9th-Nov-

1944-01.html

Jan 1 1945 (note sky spinner and tail band, and lack of underside black and white stripes on fuselage)

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/RAF-308Sqn-ZF/pages/Spitfire-LFIX-RAF-308Sqn-ZFT-pilot-Taddeusz-Szlenkier-MK346-forced-landing-1st-Jan-1945-01.html

Believe it or not both photos above are the same aircraft shot down twice in two months.

http://allspitfirepilots.org/aircraft/MK346

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

ZF-T looks like a white spinner rather than a Sky one.

Arguably yes, but it does have the sky tailband and no invasion ID stripes as per the Nov 1944 photo.  My main point is that the default skin was typical for a winter 1944 Spitfire.

17 hours ago, 69th_Ustio said:

Regarding the texture. shouldn't the color of the leading edge for the RAAF Spix IX be white instead of yellow ?

Yes, it should and also the cannon shrouds should be white.  I followed the layout of the stock skins when upgrading to 4K but my apologies on not doing more research on this skin.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ICDP said:

Guys I appreciate the feedback on the late war RAF markings etc but the default Spitfire IX skin is accurate for a winter 1944 Spitfire and fits within the Bodenplatte timeframe perfectly fine.  I know I could just as easily find plenty of images showing the later camouflage as well but the scheme as depicted was fairly typical for that period.

I will of course release an updated template with the fixes and new weathering.

Winter 1944 (note sky spinner and yellow ID stripes on leading edge and lack of underside stripes)

Nov 1944 (sky spinner, sky tailband, no invasion stripes on undersides)

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/RAF-308Sqn-ZF/pages/Spitfire-LFIX-RAF-308Sqn-ZFT-Tadeusz-Szlenkier-MK346-shot-down-by-fighters-Ghent-Belgium-9th-Nov-

1944-01.html

Jan 1 1945 (note sky spinner and tail band, and lack of underside black and white stripes on fuselage)

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/RAF-308Sqn-ZF/pages/Spitfire-LFIX-RAF-308Sqn-ZFT-pilot-Taddeusz-Szlenkier-MK346-forced-landing-1st-Jan-1945-01.html

Believe it or not both photos above are the same aircraft shot down twice in two months.

http://allspitfirepilots.org/aircraft/MK346

All these aircraft would have had invasion stripes on the underside of the fuselage out of view of the camera like this

image.png.794765a8b2f5cc6b7e50c30c981e67c6.png

14 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Here's another 127 Sqn aircraft at B60 Grimbergen around that time wearing the stripes that all the unit's aircraft would have had on their waists.

1976327840_Screenshot2019-04-25at10_52_22.thumb.png.96b30e8254dc9a7caed4542eddfbd814.png

Note that not all aircraft in a squadron had the stripes painted up to the same high point on the sides:

1333246190_Screenshot2019-04-25at10_54_21.thumb.png.ce8be9fdc4acfa3bb5f5e203c4d20d5f.png

Edited by Talon_

2 hours ago, ICDP said:

It's the same shootdown from two angles, the dates on the photos are wrong. Note the identical tree line and the barbed wire fence wrapped around the aircraft in both photos.

The same pilot is pictured here with his new ride MK984 on Christmas Day 1944, the day before Bodenplatte & the supposed 2nd shootdown of MK346.

image.thumb.png.23ef6c12aab23ef733a8d3f330dec2e9.png

Good catch, shows how easy it is to get these things wrong.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ICDP said:

Good catch, shows how easy it is to get these things wrong.

No problem

Just for your information I took the liberty of going through all of the asisbiz photos and matching them up against the Spitfire wings that participated in 2TAF operations (below) and I couldn't find a single dated photograph of a Spitfire from June 6th 1944-January 3rd 1945 that was not wearing the invasion stripes on the belly at minimum. Thereafter all the Spitfires are wearing black spinners with painted out sky bands and C1 roundels as requested by 2TAF HQ.

GROUP WING IX/XVI SQN
83 126 RCAF 401
  126 RCAF 411
  126 RCAF 412
  126 RCAF 442
  127 RCAF 403
  127 RCAF 421
  127 RCAF 416
  127 RCAF 443
84 131 POLISH 302
  131 POLISH 317
  131 POLISH 308
  132 NORWEGIAN 331
  132 NORWEGIAN 332
  132 NORWEGIAN 66
  132 NORWEGIAN 127
  132 NORWEGIAN 322
  135 CZECH 485
  135 CZECH 349
  145 RAF 329
  145 RAF 340
  145 RAF 341
  145 RAF 74
  145 RAF 345
Edited by Talon_

For the most part I followed the stock skins when updating the 4K versions.  The stock skins for the Spitfire have two from late 1944 (Berg and Dygala skins).  The others are made to appeal to a wider audience and than just RAF in Bodenplatte. I did change one or two stock skins based on research but my default skin was pure stock upgraded.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ICDP said:

For the most part I followed the stock skins when updating the 4K versions.  The stock skins for the Spitfire have two from late 1944 (Berg and Dygala skins).  The others are made to appeal to a wider audience and than just RAF in Bodenplatte. I did change one or two stock skins based on research but my default skin was pure stock upgraded.

Sure and I don't blame you. I did already flag to @BlackSix and @Sneaksie some months ago that the stock Spitfire was inaccurate and that we don't really have a representative Spitfire for half of the time period (Berg's Spitfire* was against regulations and while Dygala's is nice, it means we only have a single "normal" Spitfire for September 1944-November 3rd 1945 and thereafter no accurate Spitfire skins at all).

EDIT: I first flagged this on September 10th 2018.

We in fact have more Spitfire Mk VIII skins than 1945 2TAF Mk IX skins.

*When Berg was shot down in this Spitfire in February 1945, it was wearing a black nose, no belly band etc standard 2TAF.

EDIT 2: I would also like to note that AI wear the stock skin in combat so during the Bodenplatte SP campaign every AI Spitfire the player sees will be inaccurate.

Edited by Talon_

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Sure and I don't blame you. I did already flag to @BlackSix and @Sneaksie some months ago that the stock Spitfire was inaccurate and that we don't really have a representative Spitfire for half of the time period (Berg's Spitfire was against regulations and while Dygala's is nice, it means we only have a single "normal" Spitfire for September 1944-November 3rd 1945 and thereafter no accurate Spitfire skins at all).

EDIT: I first flagged this on September 10th 2018.

I do appreciate your feedback and I will see about getting a more representative one added to the next update.

In the meantime here is a quick version with the fixes to say thanks :)

Now with yellow ID markings

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/5DTKnEHyXE

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ICDP said:

I do appreciate your feedback and I will see about getting a more representative one added to the next update.

Cheers, that would be absolutely fantastic!

35 minutes ago, ICDP said:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/ojnTuZz5A7

One more note, sorry mate. Yellow leading edges still in use on RAF planes in this scheme!

4DV here is accurate image.thumb.png.05356ea749fed208a6a9399d3d2d9667.png

Edited by Talon_

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/ojnTuZz5A7

I'm not sure if this was said enough but aside from our nitpicking on some RAF marking minutiae, I certainly appreciate the hard work put in to make these 4K skins a reality. Looks brilliant! I'm sure the details can be worked out.

• Upvote 5

Thanks Shamrock, the feedback is always appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I want to thank @ICDP @Talon_ and everybody who is helping to make the Spitfire more accurate.

A true work of love, thanks guys. I am sure many will enjoy this. It's all about the details!

• Upvote 2

Nice job @ICDP !  About the Spitfire skins, maybe we could have something similar to how it is done with the Yak-1B and La-5FN, one earlier late 44 stock skin, and then one 1945 stock skin (without squadron markings etc), then maybe a full 1945 skin from a particular pilot.

If you ever get the chance to update the Bf 109 G-14 skins I would love if you could include one of the late camouflages which used brown or darker grey with green like in the 109 K-4 and Fw 190 A-8 :)

• Like 2

Slightly :OT- how does one tell( on any aircraft not just the Spitfire,) which are the 4K skins offered as choices?

11 hours ago, =EXPEND=DendroAspis said:

Sneaksie and Jason...guys, please.... I am happy with all the new stuff coming but I have had the so-called "premium" Hs129 since it was released. It still does not have a separate trigger for the main cannon! Its great that you have willy's jeeps and so on and so on but come on, it is not acceptable that you have a premium plane that needs a basic function implemented.

There is nothing worse than having to waste some of your 30mm cannon rounds on a flipping AA gun when you have 20mm cannons to do the job. Or if you get jumped and manage to fight back. Then you have to haul your ass all the way back to base because you can't take out any tanks.

It's not in beta, its not in alpha its supposed to be a final finished product that should at least have this basic function.

I do not complain a lot and I support every release you have including Flying circus as well as quite a few gift buys for other members. I do therefore expect a reply and a bit of a commitment to resolve this issue.

Hi Jason.... I don't want anything special, I just want some sort of commitment that someone is working on a fix on the HS129 "premium" plane as mentioned above.

Totally agree on this point.And it appears to be ignored as well since the markings are being discussed yet a reply to this post from the devs is not there (yet).
I agree here, paid DLC which does not function as it should is a bit of a shame, and I therefore do not even use this plane.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, =EXPEND=DendroAspis said:

Definitely something that needs to be looked at.

• Like 1

Hi  Dev team Thank you for your Fantastic sim and hard work Could we get  4K for the  Duck please,,, It's so sad and Ignored

PS Pugs are people to and Prefer Ducks                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks

Pug and duck.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, Sneaksie said:

The game has been just updated to 3.012c:

- The calculation of a tank turret armor penetration corrected (the internal explosion of APHE shells)

What exactly changed with that? Was the penetration value for APHE shells too high or internal damage caused by them too high/low?

Thanks for the 4K effort on skins. It is very appreciated on 4K large monitors.

@ICDP, I hope there are plans to upgrade the 110 E-2's skins to 4K soon. Great work on the spit! 😀

I ask here with a sense of failing hope, but has anyone else had RIFT graphic failure since this patch? I get the menu sounds but no picture. Almost certainly an issue at my end, but just wanted to check if anyone else had this.

No Rift problems.If they continue I suggest you contact Oculus,they say are usually quite helpful.

As an ex-WoT player, one thing about IA enemy is great, they never insult you, complain your tank is overpowered or advise you to play Tetris. I am new to IL-2  and just bought tank-crew (and Bodemplatte because I want to learn planes) and I really love the Tiger. A beast of a tank. It oneshots T34's  2km away and the AI have a hard time killing it. (I only play single player) I love this sim. Keep up the good work, can not wait to see additions to tank crew.

No clue if this is the right topic:

planes: can you make levers and switches in the cockpit mouse/joystick controlled ? So when I point at a switch and click I can toggle or adjust it ? That would make it so much more real and the learning curve a bit less steep. Learning to fly in a sim is not easy, remembering over 100 key combinations make it extra hard. 

Tank crew : the turret control can use some rework. In slow rotating turrets like the Tiger it is easy to move the camera faster as the turret and then the screen gets black and it is really hard to then find the right position. For the rest, a truly aw-sum sim.