Han

Game version 3.012 discussion: Fw 190 D-9, Prokhorovka, M4A2, PzKpfw.III Ausf.M, Fokker D.VIIF

7 hours ago, Fritz_Fagioli said:

Im new to this deal.  I have IL2 and BOS from Steam.  How do I get this update?

Welcome to the party!

It's part of the Battle of Bodenplatte which is now in pre-release. The complete map hasn't been released but some of the planes have and can be flown on existing Moscow, Kuban and Stalingrad maps.

Buy from the IL*2 store to better support the developers and link the purchase to your Steam account to combine everything. - https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ICDP said:

Please don't do that.  What makes or breaks a 4K skin is the weathering and the new D9 uses subtle weathering and shading techniques you can emulate in a few days.  It should also be noticed the new D9 model has moved all external model cockpit, undercarriage, wheels, tyres and other details off the main texture.  This alone gives around 25% extra resolution for the fuselage and wings in the texture map over the older models like the MiG 3.

Stick with it, your template is excellent and worth finishing :)

I was thinking about the many different types of rivets and screws as well as the way they and access panels are rendered in the normal map. (For example, my template has one type of rivet, one type of screw, and one screw-like panel lock) I also really like the way the metal skin is deformed with stress around some of the rivets and screws as well as random dents in the metal. 

I really like how they weathered the rivets. It looks like maybe they dirtied up all the rivets and then took a soft eraser to a lot of areas leaving some weathered rivets and some visible only in the normal map. It looks very natural and realistic. There is a similar technique with panel lines.

Needless to say I am super impressed. I wouldn't scrap my whole template though. That was just an exaggeration. Now that I thought I was done with it, I see this and it really gives me some ideas and inspiration. I just hope I can pull it off.

• Upvote 1

I just hope that the Me262 model and cockpit will be at the same or better quality as Dora. The preview of the early  3d model was different than the new ones.

• Upvote 1

Why the D9's fuselage length is 9.73 m? All other data can be found on the media is 10.2 m.

I'm really loving the D9 but one simple request, can I get the crewchief to properly clean the windscreen and canopy especially around the edges of the framing.  Either bugs or dirt show up their and at certain times they spook me into thinking a distant bandit is there.  Thanks

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, =GM=GJL2 said:

Why the D9's fuselage length is 9.73 m? All other data can be found on the media is 10.2 m.

I think they used imperial meters in most media on the 190D 

45 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

I think they used imperial meters in most media on the 190D 

Imperial meters? Never heard of this - you mean imperial units?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Having done some more tanking experiments on the Prokhorovka map.

It appears to me that the higher resolution building models are not just higher resolution visually. The collision seems to also have been higher res'd, so that, when you shoot diagonally around a building with a roof overhang, just at the corner, the round actually travels through that 'air', instead of unduly exploding, as in the past. So, good on that!

With regards to the collision model of trees, it appears to be unchanged, in the sense that:

* AIs just shoot through the trees with no problem at all.

* For individual trees, the collision model isn't exactly where the tree is, and thin, leafy parts of the tree are unrealistic obstacles.

* Groups of trees are getting bunched together into larger, simplified collision models, i.e. you attempt to shoot through a large gap between two trees and the round hits this invisible object. These things are pretty big problems when tanking.

The thing I was most curious about, I haven't yet been able to find out because I haven't driven around on the map enough: are the invisible trees finally gone?

====

Edit: in the meantime, I did crash into an invisible tree :-(

Edited by stupor-mundi

33 minutes ago, stupor-mundi said:

Having done some more tanking experiments on the Prokhorovka map.

It appears to me that the higher resolution building models are not just higher resolution visually. The collision seems to also have been higher res'd, so that, when you shoot diagonally around a building with a roof overhang, just at the corner, the round actually travels through that 'air', instead of unduly exploding, as in the past. So, good on that!

With regards to the collision model of trees, it appears to be unchanged, in the sense that:

* AIs just shoot through the trees with no problem at all.

* For individual trees, the collision model isn't exactly where the tree is, and thin, leafy parts of the tree are unrealistic obstacles.

* Groups of trees are getting bunched together into larger, simplified collision models, i.e. you attempt to shoot through a large gap between two trees and the round hits this invisible object. These things are pretty big problems when tanking.

The thing I was most curious about, I haven't yet been able to find out because I haven't driven around on the map enough: are the invisible trees finally gone?

I got terrible performance drop and flickering trees and terrain when flying at low altitude somewhere on this map.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GSP_Hund said:

I'm really loving the D9 but one simple request, can I get the crewchief to properly clean the windscreen and canopy especially around the edges of the framing.  Either bugs or dirt show up their and at certain times they spook me into thinking a distant bandit is there.  Thanks

It's canopy sealant. 

Edited by LukeFF

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Danziger said:

I was thinking about the many different types of rivets and screws as well as the way they and access panels are rendered in the normal map. (For example, my template has one type of rivet, one type of screw, and one screw-like panel lock) I also really like the way the metal skin is deformed with stress around some of the rivets and screws as well as random dents in the metal. 

I really like how they weathered the rivets. It looks like maybe they dirtied up all the rivets and then took a soft eraser to a lot of areas leaving some weathered rivets and some visible only in the normal map. It looks very natural and realistic. There is a similar technique with panel lines.

Needless to say I am super impressed. I wouldn't scrap my whole template though. That was just an exaggeration. Now that I thought I was done with it, I see this and it really gives me some ideas and inspiration. I just hope I can pull it off.

Yes the D9 has so many excellent techniques I already use and many I will "emulate" the ones I like and don't currently.   I don't mind saying this, but I steal techniques and ideas from all the main guys out there.  Tom, BHH, RaptorAttacker, Julian, Zargos, Detcord and loads of others.  I have no shame 😳

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery 😎

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, spartan85 said:

I think they used imperial meters 

Er....what exactly are "imperial meters"?

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:55 PM, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Bank increases stall speed, I just put a video in free subject , believe me I know what I am talking about and its me flying the plane.

Bank alone does nothing to your stall-speed.

Putting in more aoa onto the wing to make up for the tilted lift-vector does.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

You shameless hussy!! ;):rolleyes:

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Er....what exactly are "imperial meters"?

They colonize your measurement system, pillage it for everything of value, then reluctantly withdraw when maintaining their presence becomes too costly and public opinion turns against them back home. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Bank alone does nothing to your stall-speed.

Putting in more aoa onto the wing to make up for the tilted lift-vector does.

Agreed, what increases stall speed is bank angle in a turn, more bank, more AoA.

Bank as language is widely used by pilots referring to turning (since in real life bank is used to turn, you just dont bank, or else the nose drops) 

Bank doesn't affect stall speed ! AOA does. You can only use the bank argument wrt stall speed IF you state you are increasing pitch (AOA) to hold the flight path constant.

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

Yes the D9 has so many excellent techniques I already use and many I will "emulate" the ones I like and don't currently.   I don't mind saying this, but I steal techniques and ideas from all the main guys out there.  Tom, BHH, RaptorAttacker, Julian, Zargos, Detcord and loads of others.  I have no shame 😳

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery 😎

Same here. I've stolen things from you and everyone else lol. I am impatiently waiting for the D9 template so I can steal from it as well. What is really painful for me is having the image of the result perfectly in my mind but being unable to draw it properly.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bert_Foster said:

Bank doesn't affect stall speed ! AOA does. You can only use the bank argument wrt stall speed IF you state you are increasing pitch (AOA) to hold the flight path constant.

Bank angle.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/why-does-aircraft-stall-speed-increase-with-bank-angle/

Edited by II./JG77_motoadve
  • Like 1

Yes I understand basic Aerody ... Stall speed only increases in the turn because you use backstick (i.e. AOA) to maintain altitude. Its the AOA that will get you NOT the bank. You stall at a specific AOA not bank angle.

? Whats the first action in stall recovery ? ..... err reduce AOA :)

Prokorovka Map.

I just jumped in a tank in the Provorovka map in Multiplayer.

This is fantastic--I'm not a tank person though my father drove Shermans for a while.

Then I found you could fly over the map. That did it.

I'm going to order Tank Korp just for the map if nothing else.

I had a flight in 2012 out of a grass field in Namur, Belgium in a 1946 Stampe biplane.

From the air it looked exactly like what you see on the Proko Map.

Flew over the big bronze lion at Waterloo Monument.

My only suggestion is for a touring vehicle--a Jeep for Allies, and a Kubelwagen for Axis.

I'd pay extra for them.

Maybe a pub or something to drop in and have a mug up.

Ha ha.

• Upvote 2

After reading the jumo 213 manual I have to say that the Einhandbedienung is very elegantly modelled! :good:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Imperial meters? Never heard of this - you mean imperial units?

Honestly, I was just kidding 🥴

Not sure if I'm reading it wrong or the Dora's specifications are backwards. It says that the pilot can set the temperature, so when the coolant is too cold, pilot should set it to cold and if its too hot it should set it to hot. Is it all the way around , or is the pilot actually setting it to hot when it's hot to tell the engine it's overheated?

6 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Not sure if I'm reading it wrong or the Dora's specifications are backwards. It says that the pilot can set the temperature, so when the coolant is too cold, pilot should set it to cold and if its too hot it should set it to hot. Is it all the way around , or is the pilot actually setting it to hot when it's hot to tell the engine it's overheated?

Maybe it is a switch to say what the outside temp is and the system reacts accordingly.

11 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I think it goes like this: Pilot sets the target temperature, the automatic system sets the radiators to achieve that temperature if possible. So if you want to run the engine cool, set it to a cooler temp. if you want to squeeze more out of the engine and get closer to the temperature danger zone, you set the target temperature hotter. 

Very much like a constant speed propeller - you set the RPM you want the engine to give, and the propeller governor makes it happen by managing the blades.

On the M4A2 Sherman

Gun depression is -5 degrees. Should be -10 degrees
Engine revs to 2900 rpm before changing gear before power shifting to 4000 rpm before changing gear (good way to burn out the clutch)

Max sustained RPM was 2100 RPM with "short periods" 2250 RPM
Source is tank manual

http://radionerds.com/images/1/19/TM_9-731B-1943-Medium-Tank-M4A2.pdf

No stabilizer, but don't know whether the Russians bothered using it.

again dissapointed.

Sorry but, must be really each new map bigger and bigger?

In VR Prokhorovka unplayble for me.

New russain Tank also - absolutely huge HUUUUGE amount of polygons, which goes beyond the limit. Why ?

Do you really force us to buy new PC wich each new update ? is this never ending story really required? 

Make multithreading support for Ryzens, and I will be happy. Not new and bigger and bigger maps with insane amount of polygons....

thx for understanding

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

again dissapointed.

New russain Tank also - absolutely huge HUUUUGE amount of polygons, which goes beyond the limit. Why ?

Do you really force us to buy new PC wich each new update ? is this never ending story really required? 

Make multithreading support for Ryzens, and I will be happy. Not new and bigger and bigger maps with insane amount of polygons....

thx for understanding

I don't know what are talking about, I have always more than 100 fps@3444x1440 , we need more details , please don't drag all community down becouse you play on obslote hardware...

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, 307_Tomcat said:

I don't know what are talking about, I have always more than 100 fps , we need more details , please don't drag all community down becouse you play on obslote hardware...

Aye - I more or less have 60 always (except sometimes at airfields) with my Ryzen and 4K monitor.

I'm sure more multi-thread optimization will come when resources allow.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2019 at 3:12 AM, Gordon200 said:

Welcome to the party!

It's part of the Battle of Bodenplatte which is now in pre-release. The complete map hasn't been released but some of the planes have and can be flown on existing Moscow, Kuban and Stalingrad maps.

Buy from the IL*2 store to better support the developers and link the purchase to your Steam account to combine everything. - https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

Oh ok so it requires the the purchase of Bodennplatte?  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

I don't know what are talking about, I have always more than 100 fps@3444x1440 , we need more details , please don't drag all community down becouse you play on obslote hardware...

I get that, nobody want's the sim to be held back to a 2012 looking game, but we need optimization along the way, we had a huge optimization patch a few patches ago that really helped the fps, it was something to do with the trees, now we're getting back to the pre-boost performance, VR is becoming very hard to run smoothly again. Those of us with issues aren't running dated hardware either. Performance was really good for a little while.

You can't make a game with only the very best hardware in mind or nobody can play, the amount of people with 1080ti's and 2080ti's and very fast cpu's is very small. Steam hardware survey never showed more than a total of what, 3% having 1080tis? Or it might of been even less, are you really going to cater strictly to 3% of the Pc community?

14 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

again dissapointed.

thx for understanding

I also want to add that your system specs for VR in this game are totally inadequate, maybe for low settings. Crossfire doesn't really add anything so basically you are running a ryzen 1600 which is already a terrible cpu for VR, then basically a single 580, another bad item for VR. I wouldn't recommend anyone under a 1070ti and some type of recently modern intel cpu at at least 4.5ghz to play VR decently. And even with the best hardware you aren't going to get a smooth 90 fps on anything besides the balanced settings, and even that is becoming quite the task.

Edited by JonRedcorn

11 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

again dissapointed.

thx for understanding

There is a section called graphics settings. By adjusting those you can get a good performance. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

again dissapointed.

thx for understanding

I am happy devs are making maps and tanks more detailed.

I understand it is more easy to write a complain post than checking up config and/or lower details

Multithreading is a valid request but at least ask it nicely. Devs are are doing their very best and do not deserve the tone of what you wrote

On a side not: I play with an old crappy laptop.

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Upvote 3

Waoooooh !

The Dora is a pure beauty !

Congratulations to the dev team for this fantastic job !

I'm 200% fan !

Posted (edited)

I have a now old FX8350 cpu and I have always been disappointed with the lack of multi core support. I can run modern games at crazy fps but not this. I think it is a must to have an Intel cpu for this game.

Edited by AeroAce

nice job Jason and especially to the Dev Team 😃. Its really a joy to fly the FW190 D9. What a powerplant....

Will be interesting what happen if I meet a P51 later.....

Thank you!! Pls keep up the good work 

2 hours ago, Crockett said:

Love the game and updates -- however --

CH Controlers not working after 3.012 update!

See Technical Issues and Bug Reports/CH Controlers not working after 3.012 update – posted 3-18-19

Please help!

Hi. I'm using CH throttle quadrant. CH combat stick and CH pro peddals. Last use was Yesterday, no problem..

Good morning to all the pilots.
after the 3.012 update I can't find the new Prokhorovka map. Where is it?
I thank and greeting