Han

Game version 3.012 discussion: Fw 190 D-9, Prokhorovka, M4A2, PzKpfw.III Ausf.M, Fokker D.VIIF

56 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

can you make levers and switches in the cockpit mouse/joystick controlled ? So when I point at a switch and click I can toggle or adjust it ?

Absolutely not going to happen... Go to DCS if you want that kind of play style.

4 hours ago, pa4tim said:

... can you make levers and switches in the cockpit mouse/joystick controlled ? So when I point at a switch and click I can toggle or adjust it ? That would make it so much more real and the learning curve a bit less steep. Learning to fly in a sim is not easy, remembering over 100 key combinations make it extra hard. 

Are you playing with Mouse and Keyboard?  Ideally you would map the main commands to a Stick/HOTAS, not memorize 100 of them as keyboard commands.

No, clicking switches with a mouse does not make things any more real than actuating the switches witha key on the keyboard.

4 hours ago, pa4tim said:

Tank crew : the turret control can use some rework. In slow rotating turrets like the Tiger it is easy to move the camera faster as the turret and then the screen gets black and it is really hard to then find the right position. For the rest, a truly aw-sum sim.

Yes, I absolutely agree. The screen should be centered to the gunsight, maybe have a slight margin of movement when turning but not the current black screen where you dont even know where you are aiming at anymore. I hope they address that as TC gets closer to full release.

Damnit! whomever bumped this game update thread to the top was cruel!!!

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pfrances said:

Damnit! whomever bumped this game update thread to the top was cruel!!!

I did a double take when I checked the forums this morning LOL!

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:
5 hours ago, pa4tim said:

Tank crew : the turret control can use some rework. In slow rotating turrets like the Tiger it is easy to move the camera faster as the turret and then the screen gets black and it is really hard to then find the right position. For the rest, a truly aw-sum sim.

Yes, I absolutely agree. The screen should be centered to the gunsight, maybe have a slight margin of movement when turning but not the current black screen where you dont even know where you are aiming at anymore. I hope they address that as TC gets closer to full release.

Plus, when I change position from commander to gunner, I very often have a black screen and must wait until the turret turned into the right direction. There are some things that still need to get worked out, but we must not forget, this is a completely new direction of gaming for the developers and it is still in the earlier times of developement. So lets wait and see, what they make out of it.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Are you playing with Mouse and Keyboard?  Ideally you would map the main commands to a Stick/HOTAS, not memorize 100 of them as keyboard commands.

No, clicking switches with a mouse does not make things any more real than actuating the switches witha key on the keyboard.

Really ? In a real plane you look at a switch and push it. But I am new to plane sims so I am probably wrong. 

I would understand  it if this was an arcade game, there  people only fly in 3rd person, and even in WT sim many use mouse aim. I do not like that, I want to fly a sim, (I am not a gamer), for me that is from te cockpit, looking at the instruments and operate the controls as realistic as possible in full manual control. And that is not using all kind of weird keyboard combinations. I use a joystick and throttle unit (and I can not type blind) . I bought TC because the tank sim in War thunder is not really a sim. It is more gaming with a sim flavor. I am for most a long time tanker who just started with planes a month or so ago (in WT).  Because I liked TC so much I expanded my IL-2 with a plane module. I am not totally happy with the turret/aiming, but the rest looks promising and I know it is a work in progress and has probably some more issues as the missing commander in the Pz III L . And planes is for me a bonus, I prefer tanks (maybe that changes because it is a lot of fun to operate a plane completely manual).

It is funny that in WT they really tried to make it a sim, I steer by braking the tracks, and manually shift gears, there is no 3rd person view, the tank behaviour is realistic, damage models etc etc, but you can not go in the tank. The plane part is for me as a noob about the same as IL-2, but the way you can configure the controls (for planers and tanks) is a lot more mature as in IL-2.  But probably because they do tanks longer. 

On the other hand there is TC that does let you go in the tank, but they degrade that a bit by the use of a very simple acrade style controls (only forward/back/left/right) The fact you can use 3rd person to drive is for me not an non-sim issue. I sometimes use that to look at the great job they did regarding the look and mechanics of the tanks. But I would have preferred manual engine control and steering via tracks. 

In WT I use the joystick and throttle-unit  also for tanks, I played WoT also with a joystick. And like mentioned above, i used the throttle unit the same way in WT for my tanks but because of the turret problem I now do it different in TC. If they fix that (it is not just me not liking it, I think it is really broken) I go back to aiming with my joystick. It is however not a deal-breaker for me because it is not an arcade game. 

It sounds maybe negative but that is not my intention, I love it for the other 99% and do absolutely not regret buying it. 

Edited by pa4tim
  • Like 1