LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Server is down for a few hours. We tested the new personal hangar system, but it needs some more love before we can put it to use.

Old non-hangar version is now running.

Will Sqds get their own hangar?

We're going the personal hangar way now.

Old non-hangar version is now running.

We're going the personal hangar way now.

Any speculation about personal hangar final release ETA ;)

It will be personal. Each player has an individual hangar for both sides, for every airfield. So, for example, my german pilot can have 3 planes on one german airfield, 2 on another etc. He of course has 0 planes on russian airfields :) .. So, after capturing a new airfield, everyone has to either wait for the factory supply to reach the airfield (1 airplane per supply run, supply interval depending on the distance to the factory), ferry planes one by one, or bring in supply transport planes which will give EVERYONE on your side one airplane on the field, plus an extra one for the pilot who brought the supply.

A new chat command "<planes" will be available to check how many you have on each field. The plain "<planes" will list the plane amount for every airfield (that is currently in the mission).  If you have spawned an airplane to the airfield, then the system knows your side, and will only list the airfields on that side, otherwise (if you've just entered the server for example) it will list the airfields on both sides. The command can be used also with an airfield alias, for example "<planes f13", which would only tell the situation on airfield f13. Recommended for less chat clutter :)

What would it mean to have a squadron hangar?

ETA: two wee....days? Maybe :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 5

Umm.. I must have done something terribly wrong... so it is ready.. now :)

Go forth and test (and very possibly break) the new hangar system! :)

Very cool. I look forward to trying it out over the weekend. Fancy some stuka action with huge bombs

There's some problems in the way I did the saving of the hangar statuses, causing it to take really long time (up to 15min) between mission changes... I will have to remedy this somehow.

So... does a supply aircraft place aircraft in all airfields or just the one you land at? How many aircraft does it supply?

Can't say I'm super-thrilled to be forced in to flying aircraft that I have no interest in. The Storm of War supply system was more agreeable; fly your desired aircraft, unarmed, from the supply point to the airfield, simple.

I have made one supply flight, and it seems that there is no indicator as to how many aircraft you have available. I simply have the 'infinity' logo on each aircraft.

Server is taking a very long time to update kills and mission completion. I've been waiting for three minutes now for the 'mission complete' to appear after despawning.

Edited by Leifr

Dito for me with the ground kill update and mission end results. And we noticed it for another player that bombed the same target as us.

Also ditto to the questions Leifr has. :P

/edit

Durrrr

Saw the explanation above.

/edit

And lastly:

While I fully expect it to be related to my system somehow for completeness' sake I'll put it here, but both Leifr and I had unusual FPS issues when approaching friendly AFs that we do not usually have. For me it dropped into single digits at times only to go up to 40 again once I was slow enough during landing or before the engine/s was/were started.

Also I just did a quick test on another server where I did not encounter this either, however I have to admit that I did not test on any other AFs on Finnish. Staritsa was the field in question.

Edited by wellenbrecher

So... does a supply aircraft place aircraft in all airfields or just the one you land at? How many aircraft does it supply?

To the one you land on. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise :)

Can't say I'm super-thrilled to be forced in to flying aircraft that I have no interest in. The Storm of War supply system was more agreeable; fly your desired aircraft, unarmed, from the supply point to the airfield, simple.

No one is forcing you to do such. The system is dumb simple (at the moment). When you take off, you deduct one plane from that airfield. When you land (succesfully), you add one plane to that airfield. So you can ferry ANY plane to an airfield, you can then take off with ANY plane from that airfield. The supply plane just does this more efficiently, as it adds one plane to that airfield not only to you, but to ALL on your side. Plus one extra plane for you :)

I have made one supply flight, and it seems that there is no indicator as to how many aircraft you have available. I simply have the 'infinity' logo on each aircraft.

That is what the "<planes" command is for. We have to have unlimited planes on airfields, because the game doesn't know about our hangar system, it is wholly on the Java command software.

Server is taking a very long time to update kills and mission completion. I've been waiting for three minutes now for the 'mission complete' to appear after despawning.

As stated above (I hope someone actually reads what I write ;) ), there's a bug in the way I implemented the saving of the hangar statuses when the mission rotates, making it take way too long. I'll fix this in the coming days.

While I fully expect it to be related to my system somehow for completeness' sake I'll put it here, but both Leifr and I had unusual FPS issues when approaching friendly AFs that we do not usually have. For me it dropped into single digits at times only to go up to 40 again once I was slow enough during landing or before the engine/s was/were started.

Also I just did a quick test on another server where I did not encounter this either, however I have to admit that I did not test on any other AFs on Finnish. Staritsa was the field in question.

Well, there shouldn't be any performance hit from the Java command software to the DServer that you are playing on, but when the mission rotates, and the now way too heavy process of saving the pilot hangar data happens, it is theoretically possible that there is some perf hit on the server machine, also affecting the DServer.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

But would server lag be displayed as FPS loss on my end to begin with? I mean as opposed to the more usual choppy/jerky movements, micro-stutters such as when tank bases spawn attacks and such.

Besides, that would then also be something that happens for everyone at the same time, and when we asked nobody else on the server had mentioned any FPS issues. We'll see. If it continues to happen I might try to do some searching, but for now I'm just gonna blame Windows and move on.

Like I said, was for completeness' sake. ;)

I experienced some low FPS near Staritsa too. It was when a friend dropped a bomb, and I was flying very close through the blast chasing an enemy plane on my friend's six, so I thought it was due to the bomb effect. However, Staritsa shouldn't be any different to any other field, so don't know what caused it.

Thanks for implementing this system :salute: .

I was getting tired of another sqd taking all the 190's for their "air to air show" and wasting them afterwards :( .

This way my virtual life gets meaning :biggrin:

I'm happy that you like it :)

I now fixed the overly heavy saving process... Well, "fixed" by removing some parts... Now the pilot hangar is only saved every time you takeoff or land. So now, if you receive new planes (factory or supply plane), the state is not saved at the moment you receive them. It was found to take too long to save the hangar to all 4000+ individual players we've had on the server over the years :) ... So, only taking off and landing saves the state. And this boils down to -> If you receive new planes, and the server crashes before you've had the chance to save (either by taking off or landing), your latest hangar situation will be lost.

For example: You have 2 planes on an airfield and then leave the server. You then receive 2 planes from factory supply during your absence, and then the server crashes. When you enter the server, you still have 2 planes on the airfield.

And a small bug (that I thought I already fixed) leaked through my fingers. Fixing... Server will be up in few minutes...

The following page now shows weather information about the currently running mission: http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/faq/
Untamo is implementing a feature that will add the status of the targets (tank bases, depots etc.) in the currently running mission to that page too. So instead of using the "field" command, you can just refresh the web page.

• Upvote 1

The following page now shows weather information about the currently running mission: http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/faq/

Untamo is implementing a feature that will add the status of the targets (tank bases, depots etc.) in the currently running mission to that page too. So instead of using the "field" command, you can just refresh the web page.

That is cool :cool::salute:

Игра без противника, но с личным гаражом \ A game without an opponent, but with a personal garage

Edited by =SA=Semz

There was a bug in the hangar system that caused pilots not to receive any planes when airfield was supplied with a supply  plane. This has been now fixed.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and forgot to mention about the statistics "Current Mission Information" page:
Hover the mouse cursor over airfield etc. names to get a tooltip that shows open (or closed in case of tank battles) objects list.

And I also set the page to update once every minute (you still have to refresh it manually though), giving you current data on the map. You can basically replace the "<field" command by using this page :)

And the layout is still WIP ;)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Really nice work ! I like the hangar system btw. Makes me try to land at the same airfield I take off from.

There are a couple of mission template fixes coming tomorrow morning. I won't apply the changes today, as it will need some downtime to process the mission template.

Changes are:

• A number of airfields couldn't be properly opened (spawn enabled) after they had been closed, for example Staritsa.
  • The Allied tank base between Staritsa and Klimovo had an AAA gun in the middle of the forest. In addition, a couple of tanks in the defense line were moved a bit, so they should now be more visible.
  • A couple of tank bases down south (2107, IIRC) had their AAA guns in close proximity groups, so it was dead easy to kill them all with just one bomb. They will be more dispersed.
  • To distinguish targets better, the "<field" command should report a depot's and factory's train station blocks as a train stations, instead of the more generic block names (e.g. "Ammo store" or "Sauerkraut tinning").
  • Upvote 1

Good improvements Temuri, especially dispersed AA at tank bases (minimises LW 1000kg bomb wipeouts) and also having objects placed where they could be dealt with.  Maybe tanks on edge of forests but not in.

Hope the template might lead to some more stability to.  This evening, although quite popular, the server went down a few times.  Anyway, good flying, even if mine wasn't really ))

Also nice to see you online as well.

12 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

There are a couple of mission template fixes coming tomorrow morning. I won't apply the changes today, as it will need some downtime to process the mission template.

Changes are:

• A number of airfields couldn't be properly opened (spawn enabled) after they had been closed, for example Staritsa.
  • The Allied tank base between Staritsa and Klimovo had an AAA gun in the middle of the forest. In addition, a couple of tanks in the defense line were moved a bit, so they should now be more visible.
  • A couple of tank bases down south (2107, IIRC) had their AAA guns in close proximity groups, so it was dead easy to kill them all with just one bomb. They will be more dispersed.
  • To distinguish targets better, the "<field" command should report a depot's and factory's train station blocks as a train stations, instead of the more generic block names (e.g. "Ammo store" or "Sauerkraut tinning").

These changes are now running.

8 hours ago, blitze said:

Good improvements Temuri, especially dispersed AA at tank bases (minimises LW 1000kg bomb wipeouts) and also having objects placed where they could be dealt with.  Maybe tanks on edge of forests but not in.

Hope the template might lead to some more stability to.

Dispersed AAA was about one tank base pair, and this won't lead into more stability. We can only hope, that the upcoming 3.001 would deal with the stability issue.

Again that bug with personal hangar resupply, zero planes on Staritsa and resupply doesn't work.

S!

I reconnected after 15min and now it shows one aircraft available so maybe it's not bug just needs time to apply supply.

I propose to make it impossible to change the parties until the end of the mission or war.  /  Предлогаю сделать не возможным смену стороны, до окончания миссии или войны.

Server is very unsteady tonight, oh well.

14 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

These changes are now running.

Dispersed AAA was about one tank base pair, and this won't lead into more stability. We can only hope, that the upcoming 3.001 would deal with the stability issue.

Oh, oh well, if I wake up early enough to fly, I not only see the sun rise but I also get easier time taking down AA with blinding search lights ))  A 2 for 1

With 3.01 and DServer Stability, one can only hope.  Way to crash happy at the moment which can be annoying.  Fingers crossed. 

In the mean time I fly a 109 F2 in PWCG and my squadron loves to patrol at 4 to 6k.  Lovely views but not much action.  I must get a ground pounding campaign going as the fighters are not doing much to stop Ground Pounders.  Almost mirrors online play :lol:

9 hours ago, =SA=Semz said:

I propose to make it impossible to change the parties until the end of the mission or war.  /  Предлогаю сделать не возможным смену стороны, до окончания миссии или войны.

I would like to know why. To prevent spying on enemy side?

15 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Again that bug with personal hangar resupply, zero planes on Staritsa and resupply doesn't work.

15 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I reconnected after 15min and now it shows one aircraft available so maybe it's not bug just needs time to apply supply.

Well, there shouldn't be any delay in the supply done by air. And it was working on Saturday when I flew last... Well, in the next iteration I will add some more logging to debug this.

The plane that you had received might have been from factory supply...

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

I'll go play with those who have more pilots.  /  Пойду играть к тем у кого больше пилотов.

I crashed all the planes, I'll go to another team to beat.  /  Разбил все самолеты, пойду в другую команду бить.

I have planes in all the teams and I do not care about the value of life.  /  У меня есть самолеты во всех командах и мне плевать на ценность жизни

21 minutes ago, =SA=Semz said:

I'll go play with those who have more pilots.  /  Пойду играть к тем у кого больше пилотов.

I crashed all the planes, I'll go to another team to beat.  /  Разбил все самолеты, пойду в другую команду бить.

I have planes in all the teams and I do not care about the value of life.  /  У меня есть самолеты во всех командах и мне плевать на ценность жизни

Hmm... Those are good points, if it happens. I haven't personally seen this kind of behavior happen. Personally, I like to give the players the freedom to take whichever side they like to play today, be it because of team balance or just personal preference / mood.

Question to all:
Has anyone seen this happen? Is it a problem?

But just humoring the though, what would it require to make:
Option A:
Registration on a website like in TAW... Umm.. no, I'm not going to do that. Not in any foreseeable future anyways. Too much work and I think having to register on a website would drive all the casual players away from the server.

Option B:

Automatic registration to one side on the first time you take off in a plane in a campaign. Easy to make, but this leads to me and Temuri being bombarded with thousands of emails/forum posts saying "I picked the wrong side by mistake, could you switch me?". So... no.

But I'm open to ideas :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Hmm... Temuri had an idea. How about automatic registration, but only for, say 12h at a time?

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Server is now running the rolling planeset which is roughly following the TAW planes list. The planeset will change once a week, so it will roll over after eight weeks.