=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Oh boy its reading week at uni come Monday its perfect timing!

I think i will be going blue this Campaign i am always looking for people to fly  with, i am on mostly nights AST.

3 hours ago, CamusB455 said:

New air marshal system?  I didn't read anything about that in this thread.  How does it work?

It's in development. Collision commander can give the strategy direction and the tactial taget to the pilots, coordinate the combat.

It can make the fight more real, but also need the pilots discipline. Maybe it's like this.

Next TAW campaign starts on 16.02 at about 11:00 UTC

Main changes:

• Limitation to 45 players for each side. How it works: there are two lists with 45 slots for each side in the script that are cleared after each mission. Every time when a player spawns on an airfield the script checks if the player is on the list:
  1.  if the player is on the list then he can take off.
  2.  if the player is not on the list and there are still free slots he is added to the list and can take off.
  3.  if the player is not on the list and there aren't any free slots a player can't take off and must end his sortie (he will get a warning on the chat)

A player is removed from the list if he leaves the server. If a list is full (no free slots) then there is info 'Allied/Axis side is full' on the TAW web page under 'Elapsed time' and there is info 'Over limit' under each airfield on the map in the game.

• When number of spawned players on one side is bigger than 10 then players from that side get time penalty (can't spawn for some period of time) when their sortie is ended as:

death - 15 min
              captured\bail out\ditch\crash\disco - 10 min
              no time penalty for ditching on the friendly airfield (emergency landing)

You can check your remaining time penalty in pilot details (hangar) under the experience.

• If player lands on the enemy airfield then his sortie is automatically ended as captured and kicked from the server. 
  • If an aircraft is shot down but there is no direct info about the attacker in the log files then AK is counted to a pilot who is still alive and have the same sortie and did most damage to this aircraft. 
  • If tank's caterpillar is destroyed then after a few minutes the whole tank is destroyed.
  • If all required paratroops lands inside the drop zone then this drop zone is no longer visible and Allied side gets message about that. 
  • U-2VS added to the Allied hangar. It's listed under transport but you can use it as a fighter, bomber or transport (empty payload - no bombs, no rockets, no ShKAS wings). It's replenished like the Ju-52: after 3CM with other aircraft.
  • U-2VS is able to detect Axis drop zone. You have to take off U-2VS from non-front-line airfield and fly near the hidden drop zone to reveal it to the Allied side. 
  • More AA added in the depots. 
  • Axis gun pods limitation on the airfields depends on the Axis depot destruction level.
  • No CM after sortie with friendly kill (-300 experience as penalty)
  • Bug when airfield's destruction level drops below 75% but it's sill closed for several missions with 'in repair' status was fixed.

Good luck!

:salute:

• Upvote 12

Thanks for the changes.

I have one question about the penalty:

9 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

When number of spawned players on one side is bigger than 10 then players from that side get time penalty

Is this if one side has 10 more players spawned than the other side or more than 10 players at all?

So for example 11 vs 11 both sides get the penalty? or it has to be 11 vs 22?

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Great changes.

We will enjoy them:)

Great additions and implementation!

See you guys in the skies 😊

There are some doubts about the U-2 as a "landing zone detector".

Spend half the time of the mission to detect the landing zone, while it is easier and faster to "see" it in the briefing...doesn't seem like a big deal.

I wonder how many percent of the supply can " bring "U-2 and who will use it as a" transport aircraft " in the presence of available in the same role PE-2 .....?

Admins,

Is there a way that the identification points/items at a target can be removed, as the number of guys that do a short bombing mission then leave the server, only to return having viewed their recorded tracks and know where the actual objective items are, is growing!?

Being able to see the target in actual "real sim time" and knowing that there are only 2 trigger items in the target area to hit, surely means that we should just have red or blue dotes over the trigger points from the outset!? 

Anyway, just a thought!

Regards

5 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

U-2VS is able to detect Axis drop zone. You have to take off U-2VS from non-front-line airfield and fly near the hidden drop zone to reveal it to the Allied side

Good idea.

2 hours ago, Haza said:

Admins,

Is there a way that the identification points/items at a target can be removed, as the number of guys that do a short bombing mission then leave the server, only to return having viewed their recorded tracks and know where the actual objective items are, is growing!?

Being able to see the target in actual "real sim time" and knowing that there are only 2 trigger items in the target area to hit, surely means that we should just have red or blue dotes over the trigger points from the outset!? 

Anyway, just a thought!

Regards

Anyone who knows how to use the mission editor can get all the info they want without even taking off. so no, not possible.

If ppl feel the need to do that good luck to them, but kind of spoils the whole fun of new maps right.

Am I the only one seeing an inconsistency in the fact that landing on an enemy field gets you captured and kicked from the server while being lazy and just bailing out, or just lanwndarting,  only gets you a ten minute delay?

So on a full server being confused about where you are or deciding it is better to land your damaged aircraft on an airfield, even if it is enemy,  means you wont be able to fly on TAW again that night unless you spend 20 minutes staring at the screen waiting for a slot to become free then hope you can Join before anyone else gets the slot.     Deciding you are lost and just bailing out or that you are too lazy to try to land a damaged plane and too low to jump so just lawndarting only gives you a ten minute delay to go get a drink and empty your bladder.

Am I misunderstanding the new rules?

Personally,  I would...

kick out anyone that dies,

15m delay to anyone that bails or crash lands in enemy territory,

10m for anyone that bails in friendly territory,

5m for ditching in friendly territory

no delay for forced landing on friendly field

I have always advocated kicking out dead pilots from full servers but been told kicking people was unacceptable. However,  you brought up the possibility not me

🙂

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

8 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Thanks for the changes.

I have one question about the penalty:

Is this if one side has 10 more players spawned than the other side or more than 10 players at all?

So for example 11 vs 11 both sides get the penalty? or it has to be 11 vs 22?

It's when one side has 10 more spawned players than other side spawned players (22:11). 

4 hours ago, =FPS=Cutlass said:

There are some doubts about the U-2 as a "landing zone detector".

Spend half the time of the mission to detect the landing zone, while it is easier and faster to "see" it in the briefing...doesn't seem like a big deal.

I wonder how many percent of the supply can " bring "U-2 and who will use it as a" transport aircraft " in the presence of available in the same role PE-2 .....?

I really hoped devs would fix this bug as soon as possible. I had reported it earlier but apparently nothing has been done. The funny thing is that 'change side penalty' worked fine long time ago and it has been broken after some patch.

U-2 transports standard 3% of supply, it's not a dedicated transport aircraft like Ju-52. 

1 hour ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

Anyone who knows how to use the mission editor can get all the info they want without even taking off. so no, not possible.

If ppl feel the need to do that good luck to them, but kind of spoils the whole fun of new maps right.

In the old Il-2 '46 downloaded multiplayer mission was encrypted and it wasn't so easy to open it. I think devs  should have implement such solution long time ago.

15 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Am I the only one seeing an inconsistency in the fact that landing on an enemy field gets you captured and kicked from the server while being lazy and just bailing out, or just lanwndarting,  only gets you a ten minute delay?

So on a full server being confused about where you are or deciding it is better to land your damaged aircraft on an airfield, even if it is enemy,  means you wont be able to fly on TAW again that night unless you spend 20 minutes staring at the screen waiting for a slot to become free then hope you can Join before anyone else gets the slot.     Deciding you are lost and just bailing out or that you are too lazy to try to land a damaged plane and too low to jump so just lawndarting only gives you a ten minute delay to go get a drink and empty your bladder.

Personally,  I would...

Plz go back and find the issue with player who landed on enemy airbase and was killing spawning players with gunner.
And you will understand why it is how it is :)

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Personally,  I would...

It's a solution to the situation when a player deliberately lands on the enemy airfield and take a gunner position and then shots at spawned enemy aircraft. 

Now it's not possible.

I was thinking about similar time penalties as yours but in case 45:15 it wouldn't be fun for those 15.

Maybe the good solution would be to have this penalties for all when number of players is similar and only for bigger side if there is much more players on that side. 

Just now, =LG=Blakhart said:

Plz go back and find the issue with player who landed on enemy airbase and was killing spawning players with gunner.
And you will understand why it is how it is :)

Cheers!

I can see that but it is a shame the server cannot just automatically despawn anyone that lands at an enemy field as people do land at enemy fields by accident due to poor navigation. 

I would expect airfield AA to deal with anyone landing at an enemy airfield but I suppose it might all be down.  In that case maybe landing at an enemy airfield should instantly repair all the AAA 🙂

1 minute ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I can see that but it is a shame the server cannot just automatically despawn anyone that lands at an enemy field as people do land at enemy fields by accident due to poor navigation. 

I would expect airfield AA to deal with anyone landing at an enemy airfield but I suppose it might all be down.  In that case maybe landing at an enemy airfield should instantly repair all the AAA 🙂

Recipe for happy life:

1. Less expectations 

Cheers! 😄 😄 😄

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

It's a solution to the situation when a player deliberately lands on the enemy airfield and take a gunner position and then shots at spawned enemy aircraft. 

Now it's not possible.

I was thinking about similar time penalties as yours but in case 45:15 it wouldn't be fun for those 15.

Maybe the good solution would be to have this penalties for all when number of players is similar and only for bigger side if there is much more players on that side. 

There's another side to this story, other than the person salty about having been denied spawn.     The individual in question, who landed on the airfield spent about 2 hours throwing every plane he had at that airfield.. was joined by more and more of the red team in bombing and strafing AA and buildings on that airfield, the last axis airfield on the map, into nothingness, and even as he sat on the airfield with his tailgunner pointed there were flights of reds swarming the spawn point and strafing it to win the map and press on.   With ZERO targets left to bomb, and numerous aircraft strafing the spawn point, he landed, and parked.. and waited.   The ONE target he could get his tail gunner off, almost instantly cought a bomb and cannon rounds from a strafing a-20 shortly after his pilot was killed by a tailgunner which spent the remainder of its ammo on that pilot, the tailgun being the only weapon with ammunition left on his aircraft after several strafing/bombing runs beforehand.   One guy chose to spawn in knowing his airfield was being watched by numerous reds.  Personally I'd have accepted defeat and logged off until the next map.  It took a lot of work and a full team effort to clear the AA to even achieve landing on the enemy airfield. 

It was a situation where whether or not the guy sitting on the enemy runway was there, nobody was spawning.. and the map was being won as axis had nowhere else to spawn as an effort of losing the map.   Can't say I exactly see the need for this measure, unless someone was salty for being on the receiving end of it.. and that person, wouldn't have been able to spawn that day regardless.   That airfield was covered, and red was flaunting their victory with a show of force. 

No offense intended.. but it was a fun day and a glorious victory for the soviet team for one map..   The IL-2 in question even took off and started flying home before the map ended, with a bit of hilarity.  I don't see the harm personally, spawn point denial is still going to be a factor unless you outlaw airfield attacks, and when you got one enemy airfield left on the map it's the smart move. 

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your server,  just voicing an opinion.  Thanks. 

(If this has happened more than that one time, which I'd be surprised by, I still think it probably took a lot of team effort and work to make it possible) 

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican
  • Sad 1

Great to be back guys. 2 things that are killing the fun though. Please remove the 10-15 minutes death timer, these first maps are hard for reds and having to wait so long to get back in the action is discouraging. I am sure Germans would prefer planes getting back in the air asap. We want to fight each other, not sit doing nothing for 15 minutes. Also, please reconsider locking AF for spawns. This makes getting an air raid together very difficult. Before we could just roll off the spawn point a bit and another plan could spawn behind us. Thanks for your consideration. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

I really hoped devs would fix this bug as soon as possible. I had reported it earlier but apparently nothing has been done. The funny thing is that 'change side penalty' worked fine long time ago and it has been broken after some patch.

The issue is that nothing stops 1 sacrificial lamb to join the enemy side to figure out the zones and communicate them to the rest of the team via TS/Discord.  (I.e. a guy is about to leave / etc)

@56RAF_Roblex Landing at the enemy AF will get you taken apart by the AAA. I believe the change in question only affects active enemy airfields. Not random fields you get on the map (?)

Edited by xJammer
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, =IL2AU=SixFour619 said:

Great to be back guys. 2 things that are killing the fun though. Please remove the 10-15 minutes death timer, these first maps are hard for reds and having to wait so long to get back in the action is discouraging. I am sure Germans would prefer planes getting back in the air asap. We want to fight each other, not sit doing nothing for 15 minutes. Also, please reconsider locking AF for spawns. This makes getting an air raid together very difficult. Before we could just roll off the spawn point a bit and another plan could spawn behind us. Thanks for your consideration. 

+1, the airfields locking due to population kind of makes organized flight with more than 2-3 people people a little haphazard in this way as well imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, =IL2AU=ToknMurican said:

(If this has happened more than that one time, which I'd be surprised by, I still think it probably took a lot of team effort and work to make it possible) 

Go to page 292 of this thread.

39 minutes ago, =IL2AU=ToknMurican said:

+1, the airfields locking due to population kind of makes organized flight with more than 2-3 people people a little haphazard in this way as well imo.

Then take off from a different AF and organize a flight there. Simple solution ...

• Confused 1

Blue where we meeting on comms? I aint doin this bush league chat only for the whole campaign, TS, Discord youall pick but we need to coordinate. TAW has a TS and discord, both essentially dead.

45 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Then take off from a different AF and organize a flight there. Simple solution ...

when your flight lead, and other elements have already taken off to make room for the new group spawning in, at which point they have to land, despawn.. no problem not solved. 

1 hour ago, =AVG77=Garven said:

Go to page 292 of this thread.

Welp..consider me surprised.    His story isn't as good as mine though.   Option of spawning at another airfield tho? Spawning at a hot one is risky even without the guy sitting there.   Still.. LG's server.  I can respect the rule even if I question it. 

• Upvote 1

So the 45 player thing. I support balancing player numbers, I’m just trying to clarify how it works.

If I get on the server at map roll, am I ‘in’ for the 2hr window regardless of how I perform? Or does dying both kick me for 15 minutes AND kick me off the 45 list?

16 minutes ago, LLv34_adexu said:

Can I cange my side? How?

Maybe not entirely what you want but,  you can register with a different name and choose the other side.   It is within the rules to have both Red_adexu & Blue_Adexu as long as you log out of one and relog in with the second name.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, =IL2AU=ToknMurican said:

when your flight lead, and other elements have already taken off to make room for the new group spawning in, at which point they have to land, despawn.. no problem not solved. 

Welp..consider me surprised.    His story isn't as good as mine though.   Option of spawning at another airfield tho? Spawning at a hot one is risky even without the guy sitting there.   Still.. LG's server.  I can respect the rule even if I question it. 

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't really understand what the issue is then. Not meant as an offense or anything ... but you gotta look at this implementation in a broader spectrum. It is meant as a balancing system so front lines are not always saturated with planes, giving a chance for ground attackers as well ... Perhaps try taking off from separate fields and set a rendezvous point?

4 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Maybe not entirely what you want but,  you can register with a different name and choose the other side.   It is within the rules to have both Red_adexu & Blue_Adexu as long as you log out of one and relog in with the second name.

No need to relog adexu. You can change sides without leaving the server. Keep your name as is "LLv34_adexu" but make sure you change the registration in TAW website to match your name. You can swap back and forth between the accounts as long as the active one matches your name LLv34_adexu.

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't really understand what the issue is then. Not meant as an offense or anything ... but you gotta look at this implementation in a broader spectrum. It is meant as a balancing system so front lines are not always saturated with planes, giving a chance for ground attackers as well ... Perhaps try taking off from separate fields and set a rendezvous point?

Part of the appeal for TAW with the group of folks I fly with is the requirement of teamwork to make things happen, and that even in less populated timezones it's generally easy to get into action due to the way targets are placed.  We also learned that when you join a sever with 6-10 people at once you tend to always be on the team that outnumbers the other. What used to be simple choices of picking an airfield, and getting in the air to fly out now becomes a discussion of multiple airfields, which involves a longer flight time and the voices I hear on discord don't really find that to be all that fun of a concept.  

I don't fly TAW for balance.. I fly TAW for teamwork and ruthless combat.  even against a team of zero we still try to coordinate our attacks and draw AA fire so others can strafe and bomb. Suddenly because a few more people log on we're met with longer flight times to targets where the less populated team still gets to fly a short distance to have effect on target.   That team could still have a formation of bombers with escorts and have great effect on target while we're still only halfway there, or not even because we took your advice and set a rendezvous point from 3 different airfields. 

We aren't real pilots, and we aren't in a real war.   We're at home on our hind ends playing a game on a computer, and I'm in the camp that such layers of tedium that add to the time to get in and have some fun don't make for a more enjoyable experience overall.  

Anyway.. long story short, this isn't a feature I"ve been enjoying, and based on the comments I've heard regarding it while on discord.. I'm not alone in that thought.   In the not so often occurrence when we do find ourselves outnumbered.. we just try to make sure we have plenty of fighter cover in our personal group.  Not run to the forums declaring something be done against the overwhelming odds we might face.   This is personally maybe my 4th post in this thread, because unlike some people, when i'm losing or getting beat I don't complain to server admins about it.   I get back in the air and seek vengeance with trusted wingmen at my side. A death in a video game is no big deal..happens all the time, no matter how it's handed to me outside of blatant cheating/hacking, and even then I tend to just walk from it and find something else to do.    I kind of miss old ruthless TAW with insanely accurate AA without the hand holding. 

I accept that you disagree with me.   That doesn't mean everybody's enjoying this "balancing" feature. 

• Upvote 1

I got vulched and killed on landing approach. That's well within the rules and I am not complaining.  However, since the new update I can't seem to detect the fact that an airfield is under active attack before I takeoff/land.  Is it just me?  Is there some clue in the new version I can use? I am not sure the attack warning flares were popped off, maybe I missed them?

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

2 hours ago, LLv34_adexu said:

Can I cange my side? How?

You need to go to the IL2 website and change your name and then register on TAW with this exact same new name. 

2 hours ago, Banzaii said:

Blue where we meeting on comms? I aint doin this bush league chat only for the whole campaign, TS, Discord youall pick but we need to coordinate. TAW has a TS and discord, both essentially dead.

Most people have their own groups they fly with on Discord or Team speak, try and find some other people on the forums here to hook up with. The problem with having loads of people on one channel and why people tend to avoid the official channels is that there’s always at least one person who smokes crystal meth and won’t wont shut the f#ck up ;)

• Upvote 1

There might be a bug in the player count balancing scripts.  I registered and joined the game, selected an i-16, and  I was kicked for 15 minutes, indicating I died in a sortie.  Red side isn't full right now, I suspect I joined at the same time as someone else and the server was full.

1 hour ago, =IL2AU=ToknMurican said:

Part of the appeal for TAW with the group of folks I fly with is the requirement of teamwork to make things happen, and that even in less populated timezones it's generally easy to get into action due to the way targets are placed.  We also learned that when you join a sever with 6-10 people at once you tend to always be on the team that outnumbers the other. What used to be simple choices of picking an airfield, and getting in the air to fly out now becomes a discussion of multiple airfields, which involves a longer flight time and the voices I hear on discord don't really find that to be all that fun of a concept.  

I don't fly TAW for balance.. I fly TAW for teamwork and ruthless combat.  even against a team of zero we still try to coordinate our attacks and draw AA fire so others can strafe and bomb. Suddenly because a few more people log on we're met with longer flight times to targets where the less populated team still gets to fly a short distance to have effect on target.   That team could still have a formation of bombers with escorts and have great effect on target while we're still only halfway there, or not even because we took your advice and set a rendezvous point from 3 different airfields. 

We aren't real pilots, and we aren't in a real war.   We're at home on our hind ends playing a game on a computer, and I'm in the camp that such layers of tedium that add to the time to get in and have some fun don't make for a more enjoyable experience overall.  

Anyway.. long story short, this isn't a feature I"ve been enjoying, and based on the comments I've heard regarding it while on discord.. I'm not alone in that thought.   In the not so often occurrence when we do find ourselves outnumbered.. we just try to make sure we have plenty of fighter cover in our personal group.  Not run to the forums declaring something be done against the overwhelming odds we might face.   This is personally maybe my 4th post in this thread, because unlike some people, when i'm losing or getting beat I don't complain to server admins about it.   I get back in the air and seek vengeance with trusted wingmen at my side. A death in a video game is no big deal..happens all the time, no matter how it's handed to me outside of blatant cheating/hacking, and even then I tend to just walk from it and find something else to do.    I kind of miss old ruthless TAW with insanely accurate AA without the hand holding. 

I accept that you disagree with me.   That doesn't mean everybody's enjoying this "balancing" feature. 

You said it all in your own post. This is not real war, it is a game and in a game there is a sense of competition. Any competition should provide equal chances of  winning to both sides so balance is necessary either you like it or not. The mechanism implemented is one that provides such balance. You fly TAW for its ruthlessness as you said, well, just add that to the list of features that makes it hardcore and "ruthless" as you say. People that "complain" as you say are most likely just trying to help the admins improve the campaign in terms of competitiveness even if you disagree with them that is your own view but that does not necessarily makes the others wrong. You also mention not minding flying in a server with zero opposition ... well to be honest there ... what are you doing in MP if you would even play in an empty server? Stats building? It makes no sense to wish to participate in a competition  with no adversaries ... you could always host a COOP session with your friends then with no enemies around ... Anyways, I'm not expecting to change your mind and respect your opinion but just like there are people who dislike the feature there are people who support it.

45 minutes ago, RedDarbzy said:

You need to go to the IL2 website and change your name and then register on TAW with this exact same new name. 

Most people have their own groups they fly with on Discord or Team speak, try and find some other people on the forums here to hook up with. The problem with having loads of people on one channel and why people tend to avoid the official channels is that there’s always at least one person who smokes crystal meth and won’t wont shut the f#ck up ;)

Adexu, you do not need to go to IL2 website and change your nickname to fly for both sides. Just need to change the one in TAW to match the one you already have.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

what are you doing in MP if you would even play in an empty server? Stats building? It makes no sense to wish to participate in a competition  with no adversaries

Simply because dynamic campaigns are more motivating than isolated missions. 

• Upvote 1

the server limit on TAW is not perfect for a squadflying

its hard to get 5-10 Pilots on the Server :(

unfortunately that will annoy some pilots very much.

Edited by JG4_Widukind
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If someone does land at enemy airfield, IMHO , just needs to have same method as bailout /crash etc over enemy territory, its still a capture, any penalties should be same, can't reason to treat it any different. Intentional landing or not, what does it matter its still a capture, and has intended effect of stopping ground gunner and spawn camping stupidity. But because of game mechanics (outside map designers control) , that player has to be kicked , although you could use the damage MCU (an in game command)to kill them i think, which might be a better way than a kick?

And we all know this person was xjammer, I got no problem saying his name.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Thanks 1