=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

5 minutes ago, Y-29.Silky said:

engine was damaged, did not even produce smoke, yet I lose the pe-2?

I think I had a similar accident but in a fighter. Since it, I don't shutdown engine(s) once landed if there was any damage.

In my experience even late war East front is stacked to blues even if its Laa-laa-7 vs. 109 G-6. Its not so much about Kraut fanboyism than refusal to fly anything with a red star painted on it.

West front has even or nearly even numbers thanks to Spitfire.

9 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Its not so much about Kraut fanboyism than refusal to fly anything with a red star painted on it.

This holds true at least with quite a few Finns. Not everyone but seems that with large majority of organized players.

14 minutes ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

This holds true at least with quite a few Finns. Not everyone but seems that with large majority of organized players.

Also its one thing to fly soviet/allied on a df server or coop and another to fly a campaign for several months. The dedicated Heinkel/Ju88 pilots that are quite numerous will not swap to reds. The guys who only fly blues for reason or another will not swap. The rest stay with the first two groups because they dont want community to fragment or to play alone.

7 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Get an evenly matched plane set.  You can try to force people to fly inferior planes, but they’ll probably just leave and go to WoL.

Inferior planes aren't that bad - it's when you have very restricted access to them things get truly irritating.

TaW is quite competitive at high level - I'm not going to fly something unfamiliar only to act as a kind of target drone.

7 hours ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

Again, correct.  If anything the anglos will have the larger share of players.

I have few doubts... 109s still will be best accelerators (easier recovery from mistakes) and in BOBP they have much better firepower as standard (HMGs and 30mm). Jets are easier to fly than props; the 262 will have delicate engines but otherwise? Easier to fly, thought not easier to fight, necessarily.

For Allies the Lighting and the Jug will be more complicated to manage than is P-40/P-39, now. They will need dedicated drivers; casuals will get frustrated in them, quickly. The P-51D should be easier but still... only the Spit IX and the Tempest (probably?) are crates you may throw around without much hesitation.

German planes are tactical by design, where Allies are (especially the US') more strategically focused and in the sim we do former stuff, only. Thus, in spite of much more attractive Allied planes than before, "usual" stacking could persist. (imho)

Edited by Ehret

18 hours ago, 307_Banzai said:

Last night I was captured when I crash landed in friendly territory.

Is this a glitch or a feature?

I was at least one full sector south of the frontline. Frontline was around sector 1208 and 1308 and I ditched in 1408. 

I was very surprised when I checked stats and found out I was captured. Was it partisans? I did crash in a forest , maybe some guerilla fighters caught me ;).

By the way I really like TAW , we were flying out from Ghatzk last night and the traffic was crazy. At one stage there was a flight of five Ju-52's coming back to land when another four were getting ready to taxi. Incredible sight.

VVS really needs a dedicated transport plane, fingers crossed for Li-2 making it to the game.

The front line on the map is not ideal in some cases but it's the best algorithm I was able to figure out. In your cases enemy troops (located in 1209.3) were 200m closer to you than the nearest friendly units in 1306.9 so the script assumed you were on the enemy territory.

15 hours ago, 307_Banzai said:

I wish there was a chance to rescue yourself. Let say you crashed behind enemy lines.

You now have a chance to hop into Po-2 and fly to the sector where you previously crashed.

Land near the downed plane or pilot and take them/yourself back to your base. Avoiding captivity.

You mean that you in Po-2 rescue "yourself" from the previous sortie when you crashed? The problem is that if you end the sortie your stats are calculated and may end with captured status.  After successful rescue action the script would have to re-calculate stats in that sortie and change "capture" to "rescued". I have to think about it.

4 hours ago, Y-29.Silky said:

I get a kill on a He-111 with a Pe-2, 2nd engine is damaged from flak as we were attacking a train, nurse it home, land perfectly... Shut my engines off feeling satisfied of a good sortie... 

Ditched.

lose a plane. wtf.  only my 2nd engine was damaged, did not even produce smoke, yet I lose the pe-2?

You landed on the closed airfield. Pe-2 will be returned to your hangar in a few missions.

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Like 1

Anti-aircraft gun 72k is very unbalanced, kills from the 1st hit. I for all time most of the time perished from Pe-2 and 72k ....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ABORIGEN said:

Anti-aircraft gun 72k is very unbalanced, kills from the 1st hit. I for all time most of the time perished from Pe-2 and 72k ....

It speaks! 😁

Aborigen, this is not in the hands of the server admins. The developers mentioned last devblog that they are going to fix the spread on many of the guns. Let's hope it will include the 72K as well!👍

Yea AAA needs a fix in this game . Im glad The developers are looking into this .

Totally agree as bomber pilots suffer the most .

13 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Get an evenly matched plane set.  You can try to force people to fly inferior planes, but they’ll probably just leave and go to WoL.

Salutations,

Does anyone really want a evenly matched plane set? It could be provided by the developers. They could just make the flight models 'identical' for all same type aircraft. 😲

I don't think many really want that. The differences in craft performance is what gives pilots a real challenge in getting the best out of a particular craft. If there was craft parity... there still is no accounting for pilot airmanship skill. A great pilot can take a Stuka out and shoot down multiple dedicated fighters in a single flight. Other examples could be made.

I assert that there will never be craft balance in IL2 because there will never be pilot skill balance.

Sometimes I think there are those that want craft that can make up for their lack of piloting skill. Of course, I could be wrong.  :salute:

Friendly fire noob player report: middlefinger 

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=22945&name=6./ZG26_Gielow

Maybe a little public shame will make you identify your targets before opening fire.

PS.: Have you ever seen a Pe2 gunner not firing  ??? Do you know this game have zoom ???

Maybe I should post it on WoL thread ??? :rofl: 

4 minutes ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

Does anyone really want a evenly matched plane set? It could be provided by the developers. They could just make the flight models 'identical' for all same type aircraft. 😲

I don't think many really want that. 

BoBP will be pretty evenly matched and it looks like lots of people, including me, can’t wait for that.

I strongly expect there will continued claims of imbalance after BoBP is in our eager hands. Just wait and see. 😀

Just because an accusation is made doesn't necessarily make the accusation true. 😐

Complainers love to complain. 

Edited by Thad

Just because I like pointlessly showing up and throwing my 2 cents in.....

1.) Chute Killing:  I don't (mostly - see next points), but if it's allowed, I usually don't get upset if it happens.

2.) Shoulder Shooting:  If ever I did, it was because I was unaware I wasn't the lead plane, or the "lead" plane was so off-angle from me it wouldn't technically be shoulder shooting.  Generally, I avoid doing it. 

If however you do shoulder shoot over me, I have ZERO problem with "accidentally" twitching the trigger should you fly out in front of me - even if I hit nothing.  

3.)  Shoulder Shooting that causes me damage:  That's right you shot over my shoulder and hit me instead of the enemy.  Now, not only do I have ZERO qualms about pumping lead into your plane, but if you do bail, it's bye-bye chute as well.  I'll take whatever level of ban the server dishes out and smile about it too. 

Now that I've said this, I guess it's only natural to expect to be put on the morality police watch list.

p.s.  Balanced or Historical. Pick one.  While there are occasions of parity between the sides, you still can't have both.  Win with what you have or join a war re-enactment club where the battles are already known in outcome.  If you want anything close to balance, then EVERY TAW map from #1 to #8 should have EVERY plane available to each side, respective to their sets.  Of course, I don't actually promote that.

Though I'd like to see a little more "beef" to the Map #1 plane set for Allies, there is still not a map on TAW that's designed as a "gimme" to one team or the other.  In that respect, I can deal with a "historical balance" of sorts. 

The Kuban planeset is more balanced than any other that we have at out disposal, that's a fact.  It's also historical.  The idea is picking the most balanced planeset available from what is available historically.  The Kuban era Soviet aircraft are also much sexier, being from the era when the VVS got their feet under them and really started to hammer the Axis, so people are more eager to fly them.  There are also lend-lease aircraft for anglos who aren't interested in the aircraft of other nations.

BOBP will be balanced because when you take the aircraft available to both sides and don't model the fact that the war was already over there is relative parity.  Both sides also have very strong camps of fanboys.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

58 minutes ago, II./JG77_Myn said:

Why aren't these available in the second map? Having to run transport missions or undefended bombing runs is a joke. Seal clubbing I16s with F4s is a lot of fun.

Look again, the MiG3 should be available, but the Lagg3 we have ingame IS NOT the 41 version, its more of late series of the lagg3s, which make sense since it came with battle of Stalingrad, which happened a little bit later than the battle of Moscow

Edited by Willy__
  • Upvote 2

I find that exclusively flying the Pe-2 to annoy Axis pilots is the best thing I can do for my own entertainment until later maps.  The MiG is also fun.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, II./JG77_Myn said:

The mig3 needs combat missions... the germans start with f2s??

Negative, CM. We get 2 E7s and maybe a 202 I think.

4 hours ago, Willy__ said:

Look again, the MiG3 should be available, but the Lagg3 we have ingame IS NOT the 41 version, its more of late series of the lagg3s, which make sense since it came with battle of Stalingrad, which happened a little bit later than the battle of Moscow

Technically speaking our F-4 is also a 1942 variant, as it can go past 1.3 ata.

5 hours ago, II./JG77_Myn said:

Honestly the early map set for the Russians is brutal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-3

Yep. The Mig-3 with 2xShvak produced in only 52 pieces of over 3K built during 1942 is brutal in 1941 scenario.

If we had i-153, SB-2, Su-2 and other planes, it would be much more interesting experience :salute:

• Upvote 1

Ladies/Gents,

I have logged on at various times and have noticed that the apparent imbalance previously discussed does swing depending on the various time-zones.  I realise that this can be a real pain in the butt when you want to play (as I have found out) when the sides are uneven, however, as a minor observation, I've noticed that the loses of aircraft,pilots and tanks etc on both sides has remain fairly close, so overall I think that the game is well balanced in the grand scheme of things.

That said, what I do enjoy about TAW is how reserved players are in this server and players usually only attack when they believe that they will not die or lose an aircraft.  Therefore, although we can all grumble about various issues that perhaps may need refining, the one thing that I think we can all agree on, is that this server gives you a feeling of self preservation and that panic feeling you get when you are lost and have no idea where TF you are.  This is compounded when you do not have a homing beacon on-board, as that sinking feeling, no matter how many times it happens, always feels like the first time.

Regards

Edited by Haza
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

17 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

2.) Shoulder Shooting:  If ever I did, it was because I was unaware I wasn't the lead plane, or the "lead" plane was so off-angle from me it wouldn't technically be shoulder shooting.  Generally, I avoid doing it. 

If however you do shoulder shoot over me, I have ZERO problem with "accidentally" twitching the trigger should you fly out in front of me - even if I hit nothing.  

3.)  Shoulder Shooting that causes me damage:  That's right you shot over my shoulder and hit me instead of the enemy.  Now, not only do I have ZERO qualms about pumping lead into your plane, but if you do bail, it's bye-bye chute as well.  I'll take whatever level of ban the server dishes out and smile about it too. 

This and the recent events made me think of this

547781.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Haza said:

Ladies/Gents,

I have logged on at various times and have noticed that the apparent imbalance previously discussed does swing depending on the various time-zones.  I realise that this can be a real pain in the butt when you want to play (as I have found out) when the sides are uneven, however, as a minor observation, I've noticed that the loses of aircraft,pilots and tanks etc on both sides has remain fairly close, so overall I think that the game is well balanced in the grand scheme of things.

That said, what I do enjoy about TAW is how reserved players are in this server and players usually only attack when they believe that they will not die or lose an aircraft.  Therefore, although we can all grumble about various issues that perhaps may need refining, the one thing that I think we can all agree on, is that this server gives you a feeling of self preservation and that panic feeling you get when you are lost and have no idea where TF you are.  This is compounded when you do not have a homing beacon on-board, as that sinking feeling, no matter how many times it happens, always feels like the first time.

Regards

You could even argue the options to pick another area is causing this, if its 2:1 and these are the objectives on mission start may aswell come back in 2hrs

84 players berloga isn't fun it certainly won't help with the imbalances throughout seasons and maps# and timezones

The point of supply convoys to tanks is completely gone (I dont know if they exist anymore)

2C40CACB9BEB05604FC537D4FFB135ABBEA47319

Edited by =FEW=N3croo
added timezones

19 hours ago, Ropalcz said:

Yep. The Mig-3 with 2xShvak produced in only 52 pieces of over 3K built during 1942 is brutal in 1941 scenario.

If we had i-153, SB-2, Su-2 and other planes, it would be much more interesting experience :salute:

I have no problem limiting the Shvak variant. I'm all for realism.

The problem is, however, that planes are available at these dates and are not an option. At least be competitive.

What if the Germans only started with the Folgore? Is that realistic?

@=FEW=N3croo
Ahhhh yes. BF City ;). We have 200 million square km map, yet all objectives are in an area easily covered by 2 fighters.

Edited by StG77_Kondor
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, II./JG77_Myn said:

What if the Germans only started with the Folgore? Is that realistic?

Nope. Folgore saw very limited use there.

I would set a BF 109 F-2 with the 15mm nosegun only (with 20mm gun upgrade locked on the first two maps) as a basic plane instead of E-7 :salute:

2 hours ago, StG77_Kondor said:

@=FEW=N3croo
Ahhhh yes. BF City ;). We have 200 million square km map, yet all objectives are in an area easily covered by 2 fighters.

That's my point too. Russian front was fluid and we should have targets everywhere like we have in single player campaign. Maybe someday with more powerful PCs.

21 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

That's my point too. Russian front was fluid and we should have targets everywhere like we have in single player campaign. Maybe someday with more powerful PCs.

We would like to have it like that too but its impossible due to performance. 😞

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1