[MOD] War in the West

58mHAdd.png

War in the West is an enhancement/conversion project that aims to bring more historical realism, diversity, squadron mission sets, liveries, new squadrons, custom and graphical asset overhauls, and many other features I feel are lacking in the current Bodenplatte dynamic campaign. Be advised however, this mod is still in development and subject to change. Content and patches will be provided on a regular basis and said updates could break your dynamic campaign regardless of whether you're playing as one of the custom squadrons or not. While this version does contain over 80 liveries it is by no means finished, there are still numerous USAAF textures to complete which will be added down the road.

Please report any bugs or issues you encounter.

WdqMSmV.png

OqTgCvp.png

Spoiler

ALAqB4K.png

SKSm7Hy.png

DwionOe.png

awtFHlU.png

ND6FCe5.png

wCO2ufX.png

g2xZKIF.png

2zAsZ5h.png

7OquSlh.png

Spoiler

Install Instructions

BETA v0.6 DOWNLOAD

Updates:

Deactivate WitW via your mod manager first prior to applying any update

Before installing v0.7 - Navigate to Data>Graphics>Skins in your main WitW mod directory and delete the folder titled c47a.

This update corrects nomenclature issues that can't be overwritten by the patch itself.

Install Instructions: Navigate to MODS>War in the West>Data and copy the folders graphics, scg, and swf into the Data directory. Overwrite when prompted.

Patch v0.7 DOWNLOAD

d35G3BS.png

Spoiler

Do not unzip the contents of any addon squadron into the War in the West directory. Do not activate more than one addon squadron at a time.

Simply download the addon of your choice, drop into your MODS folder, enable WitW first, then enable your downloaded squadron. Choose Yes at the warning screen.

L8FhdEr.png

1s1KPaN.png

@Raptorattacker @sevenless @AnKor @szelljr @E69_julian57

Spoiler

Changelog:

Update v0.7

Bug Fixes:

• Added/corrected aircraft mission sets.

• Added the 486th Fighter Squadron P-51 textures.

• Added the Fw 190 D9 to KG(J) 27's aircraft inventory.

• Fixed most of KG 51's campaign mission bugs and added missions.

• Diversified KG(J) 27's campaign mission sets from CAS/Strike to more CAP oriented.

Secondary Updates:

• Added allied aircraft thumbnails.

• Added initial Bf 109 G6L assets.

• Corrected C47A naming conventions.

• Added and fixed several loading screens.

• Corrected character bio description errors.

• Corrected KG(J) 27's squadron logos sets and backgrounds.

• Corrected squadron description errors for 646th and KG(J) 27.

• Corrected all of the aircraft thumbnails to match the airframe description background.

Edited by DetCord12B
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 20
  • Upvote 8
Posted (edited)

As previously stated report and issues, bugs, description errors etc so I can remedy them in the next patch.

Also No. 88 squadron (liveries) will be added over the weekend.

Edited by DetCord12B
9 minutes ago, Sandmarken said:

Wow cool! 😄

Are the missions different from the original bobp career or the same? 

They're the default missions but I've tried to mix them up a bit. No. 88 Sqn for the RAF has a more night time bombing raids while the 646th is typically delegated to daytime raids with occasional night missions. KG(J) 27 has a mix of CAP, CAS, and strike missions.

1 minute ago, tikijoetots37 said:

Sorry for my ignorance, or if I missed the notes but could not find them, but how do I install this awesome looking mod :)

You'll need to download a mod manager of your choice and install it that way. If you need specific instructions search the forums or ask and I'll walk you through it.

3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Many thanks for all your ( obviously ) hard work...Now if only the download worked faster😉

GDrive is pretty fast for me. Faster than Steam recently.

5 minutes ago, DetCord12B said:

You'll need to download a mod manager of your choice and install it that way. If you need specific instructions search the forums or ask and I'll walk you through it.

Hi, Thank so much for this mod! Could you please provide basic instructions (or links to guides) on how to get this working? I really have no clue about modding.

One more question: will the G14 skins you created be avaliable in to download and use in multiplayer?

7 minutes ago, NillBill123 said:

how do i install this mod? I have never modded il2 before.

1 minute ago, Semml said:

Hi, Thank so much for this mod! Could you please provide basic instructions (or links to guides) on how to get this working? I really have no clue about modding.

One more question: will the G14 skins you created be avaliable in to download and use in multiplayer?

You mean as a regular pack via my thread in the skins section? If so, yes. Eventually.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36622-is-there-a-tutorial-to-use-jsgme/

• Thanks 1

I managed to install the mod now but it crashes as soon as I hit 'start mission'. Could this be because of wrongdoing on my part or is this a problem other people have?

Unbenannt.png

2 minutes ago, Siv5122 said:

I used this tutorial but mine still doesn't work, here's what the directory looks like, did I do something wrong?

image_2021-01-08_125433.png

Same here, I'm using JSGME for a number of other mods fine, doesn't seem to be working for this one. I have it activated, but when I load into the game and get to career mode I still just have Battle of the Rhineland, no war in the west.

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Wow! Wasn't expecting the splashscreens to rename the game! Very impressive detail. I might have to have a second install just for this. I'm always forgetting that Mods On button 😉.

2 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

You mean as a regular pack via my thread in the skins section? If so, yes. Eventually.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36622-is-there-a-tutorial-to-use-jsgme/

Hello,

Very interesting mod congratulations for all this work

A little suggestion.

1.5GB of a single file is very heavy for slow connections and I did not manage with the google server to use download management software.

why not separate the skin files from the campaigns files.

It would be very nice, thank you.

2 hours ago, NillBill123 said:

how do i install this mod? I have never modded il2 before.

Easy

The important part is to make sure that the mod has the correct file structure.

1.) Unzip "war in the west.zip"

image.png.65e157027949a623a17ebd4385ccb74e.png

2.) Copy the war in the west folder which was created within the war in the west folder to your MODS folder. That MODS folder should reside in the main root of your gamefolder besides data folder etc. Look at the screen:

image.png.ecc74f6d9bc9bb5442e7ab89df092c10.png

3.) Make sure that the data structure in your MODS folder is as shown:

image.png.b9e7a85166ec41e0bdf1ded7100b26c8.png

image.png.cd7412ab341dbc713effbc9bec4cb739.png

4.) Open up JSGME

image.png.9e58c04823e7a8077e638c7b1a8e0065.png

5.) Activate War in the West

image.png.002dbeae3721470e0e64fd41ddd723f8.png

6.) Start Il-2 (make sure you have MODS activated) and switch to careers:

image.thumb.png.08b7f8c8de0732b29fa24b1f8013cdad.png

11 minutes ago, Siv5122 said:

Here's what my MODS directory looks like now, mods enabled, still not working.

Make sure that within your war in the west folder the next lower structure is the data folder.

image.png

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Easy

The important part is to make sure that the mod has the correct file structure.

1.) Unzip "war in the west.zip"

image.png.65e157027949a623a17ebd4385ccb74e.png

2.) Copy the war in the west folder which was created within the war in the west folder to your MODS folder. That MODS folder should reside in the main root of your gamefolder besides data folder etc. Look at the screen:

image.png.ecc74f6d9bc9bb5442e7ab89df092c10.png

3.) Make sure that the data structure in your MODS folder is as shown:

image.png.b9e7a85166ec41e0bdf1ded7100b26c8.png

image.png.cd7412ab341dbc713effbc9bec4cb739.png

4.) Open up JSGME

image.png.9e58c04823e7a8077e638c7b1a8e0065.png

5.) Activate War in the West

image.png.002dbeae3721470e0e64fd41ddd723f8.png

6.) Start Il-2 (make sure you have MODS activated) and switch to careers:

image.thumb.png.08b7f8c8de0732b29fa24b1f8013cdad.png

Make sure that within your war in the west folder the next lower structure is the data folder.

image.png

Works now, thanks!

Well, all works fine for me so far! Haven't actually FLOWN any missions but it's in-game and (apparently) running...

Just made a career with Spits successfully and with no hiccups.

Update!! I just flew the first mission and no problems. I crashed and burned but without any problem!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Upvote 2

I'm loving this so far! I haven't tried out any of the new squadrons yet, but the new Operations makes it feel more like WW2. I'm not sure if ferrying aircraft was part of the original career system, if it wasn't, nice addition! Here's a post about my first flight 

Started the KG54 Ju88 campaign. Gruppe's flown three missions and me one, everything running fine plus managed to get my gunners to shoot down a landing Tempest as a bonus!

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, admiralackbar86 said:

Downloading now, been holding off on a new bomber campaign for this mod.  Thanks for the hard work. 

These are custom squadrons, they're not in BoBp by default, so if you come across any issues please let me know.

I can only test so much.

2 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

Hello,

Very interesting mod congratulations for all this work

A little suggestion.

1.5GB of a single file is very heavy for slow connections and I did not manage with the google server to use download management software.

why not separate the skin files from the campaigns files.

It would be very nice, thank you.

I'm looking at alternate DL sites.

8 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]dotDeutschland said:

Oh neat I see Boelcke is in the Mod! I actually dont live too far away from the Base of the Boelcke Geschwader today, it is in Nörvenich.

Not a lot of info on this squadron, unfortunately.

@Semml Did you figure it out?

Edited by DetCord12B
49 minutes ago, FurphyForum said:

@DetCord12B @Raptorattacker @sevenless @AnKor @szelljr @E69_julian57Thanks for your time and effort in giving this product to us. :salute:

It's a shame that Tom never got to embark on this also as had originally been planned. 

I still have to get with @Tom_Weiss on the 51's which will be added in an upcoming update. I was more concerned with getting it out as it was becoming a never ending process of unreleased content.

Only had one issue so far.  My first mission in the Ju-88 had the target to bomb way off of the map, I didn't realize what would happen since I never have dealt with this and it gave me the big red "turn around" message, so I couldn't hit the target.

Also flew Spits with the Australian 453rd, only got ground cover missions, but had a blast as a ton of German fighters came in to give us a hard time. 

Really enjoying the mod so far. 

2 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

I still have to get with @Tom_Weiss on the 51's which will be added in an upcoming update. I was more concerned with getting it out as it was becoming a never ending process of unreleased content.

Det, you do know what happened with Tom, do you?.

No no I get why you released this as by your threads previously.

12 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

• No. 88 Squadron RAF (A-20B)
  • 646th Bombardment Squadron (A-20B)

Are these as stand in for the other A-20 variants that generally operated at this point and time or did these still have some active A-20Bs in their inventories? If so maybe we could convince the devs to implement them officially.