Game version 4.502 discussion: Hurricane, C-47, Bf-110-E2 in 4K, New G-Effect, Tank Crew and other improvements

3 hours ago, SuperChief141 said:

Bit of a Noob with IL-2 here so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but has anyone seen my Hurricane? Mine seems to be missing. Recently got my 'pit up and running with every quality flight sim program I could get my hands on including BoS, and all its DLC's and collector planes.  When I go into Quick Mission on any map it does not  give me a Hurri option.  It will happily generate an AI Hurri (and C-47 as well) as opponents but not for me.  Alas this is very sad, she looks like a sweetie to fly.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Have you Bought this collector plane? It's not an automatic inclusion on in an update. Many people like myself pre-ordered and paid in advance so it was included in our update. Buy it and enjoy...well worth the $'s. 

Edited by sonnykims
13 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Yep it cant follow emil in dive (while emil is in full throttle) and doesnt roll too good, thats fine. It turns great, yeah it was a good turner but.... Im not sure it should turn better then Spit V.   ...

I remember reading RAF pilot accounts thatsaid the Hurricane could out-turn the Spitfire

• Upvote 1
ACG_DerSheriff
15 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

THanks. How can we know if there is no date in the mission description if those G-suit are enabled ?

For example, there is no date on Berloga server i think...

If in doubt you can check the tac view recording. You can see the time and date there

Ai improvements in this patch? - Can't test it at the moment but I wonder if the train manner attack behaviour from the Ai fixed when attacking a enemy bomber always from six and low speed. But what really bothers me is that an old sim like IL-2 1946 has the most AGGRESSIVE sort of AI I've ever seen.

216th_Jordan
7 hours ago, =/Hospiz/=Metalhead said:

Being realistic is not about complexity or learning curve. Right now, a "fresh" pilot can easily pull out of a 700kph dive using full elevator and trim combined, with only slight greyout. Compare that to Stuka pilot's memories about dive bombing, while keeping in mind that they dived at much lower speeds than that. Back in WW2 your average pilot had very litte, if any, training or knowledge about mitigating g-loads, so he was not able to hold or delay black out. Whether predictable or not, rapid g-load increase causes sudden blackout very quickly. Have you ever tried to carry stuff that weighted twice as much as you? Now imagine that being suddenly snapped at you when you pull the stick, and that's only 3g. My personal experience is limited to roughly 3,5G manuvers, as haven't flown anything certified past 4,4g, yet even at such "low" loads you already feel it a lot, and you have to focus all of yourself on actually flying the plane. At higher loads things start to go down very quickly.

I'm not an aerobatic pilot but I have flown loops in gliders with more than 5 G pulls (entry, exit), started to feel tiring after some, but not initially.

New G-model goes along with scientific data - there is oxygen left in the brain cells that work for some seconds without any blood flow,  AFAIK there was not a single case on hundreds of tests that immediately passed out on high loads when not stressed before - so that is realistic. 

Petrovich has explained it very nicely.

• Upvote 4
SuperChief141
2 hours ago, sonnykims said:

Have you Bought this collector plane? It's not an automatic inclusion on in an update. Many people like myself pre-ordered and paid in advance so it was included in our update. Buy it and enjoy...well worth the $'s. 

Thanks for the reply.  

I'd happily pony up the $$ if I could find a place to spend it.  I run IL-2 thru Steam (Probably the first mistake) and the Hurricane is nowhere to be found at the Steam Store.  It is available on the IL-2 site but it says it's the non-Steam version.  This is me being confused.

Ah, Never mind.  Steam says She'll be available in a few days.  Why they didn't release it along with the update I have no clue.

Edited by SuperChief141
found answer
  • Like 1
unreasonable
Just now, SuperChief141 said:

Thanks for the reply.  

I'd happily pony up the $$ if I could find a place to spend it.  I run IL-2 thru Steam (Probably the first mistake) and the Hurricane is nowhere to be found at the Steam Store.  It is available on the IL-2 site but it says it's the non-Steam version.  This is me being confused.

Ah, Never mind.  Steam says She'll be available in a few days.  Why they didn't release it along with the update I have no clue.

You can buy collector planes through the Il-2 store and then play them on your steam account, as long as your steam account and game account are linked - I have the Hurri on my steam account this way.  Buy on the game's store page and the team do not lose steam's cut of the price, which may be why you have to wait a bit: many game companies delay steam release for weeks or months for that reason.  Search for linking accounts if you want to do it.  Or just wait a little.  Steam updates are certainly faster than direct updates in my experience.

SuperChief141
19 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

You can buy collector planes through the Il-2 store and then play them on your steam account, as long as your steam account and game account are linked - I have the Hurri on my steam account this way.  Buy on the game's store page and the team do not lose steam's cut of the price, which may be why you have to wait a bit: many game companies delay steam release for weeks or months for that reason.  Search for linking accounts if you want to do it.  Or just wait a little.  Steam updates are certainly faster than direct updates in my experience.

Thanks.  Very reasonable advice from someone so unreasonable!  Yeah I'll look into linking the accounts.  I'd rather put my $ in the pockets of the Devs than that of a third party (Steam)

• Like 1

Finally had time to fly. Great update! Awesome work as usual by dev team! New G effects feel better than the old one.  Keep up the good work!

=/Hospiz/=MetalHead
2 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I'm not an aerobatic pilot but I have flown loops in gliders with more than 5 G pulls (entry, exit), started to feel tiring after some, but not initially.

New G-model goes along with scientific data - there is oxygen left in the brain cells that work for some seconds without any blood flow,  AFAIK there was not a single case on hundreds of tests that immediately passed out on high loads when not stressed before - so that is realistic. 

Petrovich has explained it very nicely.

I've seen that devblog and I really like the idea of "stamina" in general. The thing is, with current set of parameters it is sometimes possible to pull very high g-load manuvers without any negative effect, which is not realistic. I don't criticize the new model as a whole. It just needs further tweaking.

A little late to the party but wow what an update!!

Going to have to start a Career with the Hurricane in Moscow, will be first time using Moscow map for me after all this time.

Absolutely incredible Devs!!

9 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

@Stoopy, get well soon)

There is a stereotype that if the plane did not burst at one moment, then nothing happened to it. This is not so, even if you are in the 4/4 angle, you can very much spoil the nerves of the enemy by shooting at the radiators. Yes, the plane will not immediately fall into the bushes, but the chances that the plane will return home from the enemy are negligible(if it is not an FW 190).

12 hours ago, sniperton said:

May I ask what your experiences are?

Just asking because I can easily shoot down Heinkels, but I have the impression that .303s are inadequate against, say, Macchis.

Now the question arises how .303s could win BoB. I'm a bad marksman, but not as bad as most British Commonwealth pilots were back then.

Here is some information about effectiveness of MGs in aircombat. These are not .303s but they are similar enough.

Captain H. Wind's Lectures on Fighter Tactics http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hist/WW2History-CaptainWindsAirCombatTacticsLecture.html

Here is couple quotes i find interesting.

"Captain H. Wind's Lectures on Fighter Tactics were written in 1943 to be used in training of new pilots. Afterwards, the lecture series was used in the Finnish Air Force for several decades. The lectures have been transferred into digital format in as original and accurate a form as possible - the way they were written in 1943. The author, Hans Wind, was the second highest scoring Finnish pilot of World War II and our highest scoring Brewster ace. "

"If the enemy plane is an I-16 or I-153, use the following tactics. Initially climb about 500 meters higher than the enemy, because our planes are faster. During the approach stay right behind the enemy, because visibility to the rear sides is good from both planes. The approach speed can be quite high. Just before reaching shooting distance, slip to one side, so you'll be able to shoot him slightly from the side. When shooting from dead 6 o'clock of these planes, the pilot armour has often absorbed even the 12.7 mm bullets. (For example W.O. Alho shot his guns empty at a Chaika's pilot armour over the Seiskari Island without any effect. The fuselage skin behind the armour was ripped apart, but the plane didn't go down.) You have to aim well from the start, because the I-16 and Chaika are so manoeuvrable that you can't hit them after they have seen you approach."

"you should shoot in front of the armour into the cockpit and engine. The lead is also so small that it'll give you no trouble at all. "

Next one is my opinion about bombers and MGs.

If u attack a bomber, u dont just spray .303s at center mass and hope it goes down. U need to aim at engines or cockpit. There is multiple stories out there about pilots basically flying 20-50 meters behind an enemy bomber and firing at its engine till it is on fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Varibraun
17 hours ago, ADorante said:

Last month I learned for the first time about "Hurricane burns" (graphic depiction of its surviving victims in Garth Ennis' comic "Out Of The Blue"). Are those fuel fires in the cockpit an issue in the depiction of the plane in this sim?

I also came across this in prior reading, I think it was Tom Neil's book "Gun Button to Fire": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007L5HH1W/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I believe he stated it was the MKI and that it was corrected (which means corrected in our versions).  I just checked Wikipedia and found this (so I think our pilots are better protected from fire, but the knowledge base on this forum will certainly correct me if I am wrong):

The greatest hazard was with the unprotected gravity-feed fuel tank in front of the cockpit which could rupture when hit, allowing a jet of flame to penetrate the cockpit through the instrument panel, causing serious burn injuries to the pilot. The wooden and fabric rear fuselage was also far more likely to catch fire than the metal fuselages of its contemporaries. This issue was of such concern to Air Vice Marshal Hugh Dowding that he had Hawker retrofit the fuselage tanks of Hurricanes with a fire-resistant material called "Linatex" as a matter of priority. The wing tanks had already been fitted with a covering of this sealant, but the fuselage tank was considered to be too small a target. Hurricanes were soon being modified at the rate of 75 per month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hurricane_variants

• Thanks 1
Oyster_KAI

When using a female pilot, the "high g breathing" and panting sounds are still men’s voices:happy:
It should be possible to easily make a higher pitch  female voice by audio software.

Edited by Oyster_KAI
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
RedKestrel
14 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Well this is just SUPER.

After preordering and waiting ever so patiently, this fantastic Hurricane comes out on the very same day that the Dr. says I have a broken bone in my hand.  

Guess I could take it for a spin anyway but I won't be able to raise or lower the landing gear or flaps, adjust the prop pitch, mixture, or radiators for 6 weeks due to this #@%! cast.

But they said I could have ice cream, so I have that going for me.  Which is nice.

And I am very glad that it is out and that everyone is enjoying it.

pRijphR.jpg

Hope you get well soon Stoopy! The Hurricane will be waiting for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
27 minutes ago, Oyster_KAI said:

When using a female pilot, the "high g breathing" and panting sounds are still men’s voices:happy:
It should be possible to easily make a higher pitch  female voice by audio software.

Not sure the result would allow the game to be all public’s attendance 

😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
35 minutes ago, Oyster_KAI said:

I am feeling like an old dude, since female pilots were introduced couple of months ago, I have searched everywhere but could not find the option to change the pilot.

RedKestrel
Just now, Zeev said:

I am feeling like an old dude, since female pilots were introduced couple of months ago, I have searched everywhere but could not find the option to change the pilot.

Only works on the U-2 and the Yak-1b (maybe also the Yak-1? Not sure).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Livai said:

Ai improvements in this patch? - Can't test it at the moment but I wonder if the train manner attack behaviour from the Ai fixed when attacking a enemy bomber always from six and low speed. But what really bothers me is that an old sim like IL-2 1946 has the most AGGRESSIVE sort of AI I've ever seen.

Not sure how much, but on a mission last night I was left to handle four 109s while my squadron gingerly went back to base, and I could see their messages requesting landing permissions were given by the airfield....managed to down two, but ran out of fuel dealing with the other two.  One thing though is that AI doesn't, or at least I haven't encountered an AI pilot with a high angle snap shot, as I used to in the original IL2.  Those were killers.

Varibraun
14 hours ago, Stoopy said:

but I won't be able to raise or lower the landing gear or flaps, adjust the prop pitch, mixture, or radiators for 6 weeks due to this #@%! cast.

13 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

Just throwing it out there that you could temporarily use Voice Attack to send the commands you can't send with that cast.

Echoing what Charlo says, Voice Attack is the way to stay in the cockpit until that cast comes off.  I recently found that you can count the seconds for incremental "key hold" changes with it (like mixture, flaps, etc.).  I set it to turn down radio volume in 50% increments to get the full effect of @Gambit21's fantastic Hell Hawks campaign.  Get well soon Stoopy!!

In career mode, I just did a dogfight in Hurri against 3 Bf109F2

The new representation of the pilot's tiredness is absolutely great, fatigue, disturbed view, black and red sails, shortness of breath, 10 minutes of very hard fight, but much more impressive than before, bravo the devs!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
DD_Arthur
15 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Well this is just SUPER.

After preordering and waiting ever so patiently, this fantastic Hurricane comes out on the very same day that the Dr. says I have a broken bone in my hand.  

What did the nasty doctor do to your hand m8?:o:

1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

Echoing what Charlo says, Voice Attack is the way to stay in the cockpit until that cast comes off.  I recently found that you can count the seconds for incremental "key hold" changes with it (like mixture, flaps, etc.).  I set it to turn down radio volume in 50% increments to get the full effect of @Gambit21's fantastic Hell Hawks campaign.  Get well soon Stoopy!!

Thanks very much and to @Charlo-VR as well.  Got Voice Attack working and took her for a spin this morning.  Still some tweaking to go but I managed to shoot down "most" of one He111.  Those 303's are perfect for making a plane die a very, very slow death.  😆

55 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Nothing much other than taking a X-ray and applying a groovy orange cast.   My own fault for taking a pretty hard spill and not falling correctly.  Ribs will have to heal on their own!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Only works on the U-2 and the Yak-1b (maybe also the Yak-1? Not sure).

Where is the equality for the women, we want women pilots in all planes!! 🤪

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

These are the side effects of spending time in DD thread hitting the F5 key.

• Haha 2
DD_Arthur
11 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Nothing much other than taking a X-ray and applying a groovy orange cast.   My own fault for taking a pretty hard spill and not falling correctly.  Ribs will have to heal on their own!

Ouch!  Good luck when the siow and ice season is upon us.:(

• Thanks 1

FWIW, the Hurricane is relatively easy to fly and is very forgiving. Sim pilots who want to learn ACM would be well served by purchasing and getting some stick time in this little guy. Fun meter is pegged.

Edited by Victory205
  • Upvote 1

Just wanted to thank Jason and the whole development team for the effort they put into the g force modeling. I for one, love it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
ACG_PanzerV

The more I fly it, the more I think the Hurricane flight model really needs more work.  The airplane seems to out-energy the 109 G-14 quite easily.  Hangs with all the 190s in dives.  Acceleration is amazing, dives exceed 500mph without stiffening or penalty.  Doesn't go fast straight and level, but doesn't seem to bleed any speed at all turning horizontal or vertical.  Its like a late-war Zero, with a turboprop, esp. with the XX engine.  Pity, as I'm very concerned for early/mid war MP balance.  We won't be able to fly German aircraft against the Hurri successfully once the advantages really soak in to the VVS pilots.  I sincerely hope the FM gets some more attention in the coming months.  I caveat this criticism by noting that the new G-model / physiology is superb.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, ACG_PanzerV said:

The more I fly it, the more I think the Hurricane flight model really needs more work.  The airplane seems to out-energy the 109 G-14 quite easily.  Hangs with all the 190s in dives.  Acceleration is amazing, dives exceed 500mph without stiffening or penalty.  Doesn't go fast straight and level, but doesn't seem to bleed any speed at all turning horizontal or vertical.  Its like a late-war Zero, with a turboprop, esp. with the XX engine.  Pity, as I'm very concerned for early/mid war MP balance.  We won't be able to fly German aircraft against the Hurri successfully once the advantages really soak in to the VVS pilots.  I sincerely hope the FM gets some more attention in the coming months.  I caveat this criticism by noting that the new G-model / physiology is superb.  

How is it not balanced if German aircraft is superior to Soviet in Early war? 

Noisemaker

I for one, am going to buck the trend and say that I am very dissapointed in the Hurricanes.  After updating today, and launching my P40 Moscow career, I was delighted to find Hurricanes flying with us on our first mission of the day (Ground troop cover).  Between our two squadrons we bagged 2 HE111 and 2 BF109F2s.

The next mission, however ended in disaster.  We were assigned to bomb a transport collumn, just over the line.  Hurricanes were to provide our top cover. Milk run, we thought.

After the first 2 passes, 24 109s turned up to spoil the party.  Hurricanes were nowhere to be found, having wandered off to chase some ground attackers to our SE.

I lost my wingman today.  The AI wingman that I've been protecting since we were both assigned to the squadron together.  We've both worked our way up the ranks, with me finally achieving Major and the squadron lead, and him Captain.

In the furball we got seperated by 2km and I watched as a 109 settled on his tail and shot him down, despite my desperate long range shots to try and spook the 109 off his tail.

Had the Hurricanes been there, the day may have turned out differently.

I lost my virtual best friend and wingman today, and I blame the hurricanes.

They do look great, however.

Edited by Noisemaker
Grammer
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, 361st_Siv5122 said:

Having a blast with the Hurricane so far in a BoM career!

307960_20201106202129_1.png

307960_20201106201127_1.png

Is it possible to customize and set any ammunition type in the career? Love the hispano rounds but hate the default ones.

Noisemaker

I also like it, especially the new sound effects.  I'd love to hear some airframe creaks like in CoD as well, but can't say whether that's accurate or not.

JG27_Kornezov
4 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

I really need female G breathing in the game. I wish Sharfi would volunteer.

• Haha 4
Mitthrawnuruodo
18 minutes ago, ACG_PanzerV said:

The airplane seems to out-energy the 109 G-14 quite easily.  Hangs with all the 190s in dives.  Acceleration is amazing, dives exceed 500mph without stiffening or penalty.

Are you sure about all that? The Hurricane vibrates and sheds control surfaces below 500 mph IAS.

Thank you very much for the update. Hurricane is very good. I enjoy very much flying it.

Please fix the C-47A - see the screenshot...

Thank you

2020_11_7__19_23_8.jpg

Noisemaker
33 minutes ago, technic said:

Please fix the C-47A - see the screenshot...

Thank you

2020_11_7__19_23_8.jpg

Who hasn't done this out of a sunroof at some point?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Zeev said:

Is it possible to customize and set any ammunition type in the career? Love the hispano rounds but hate the default ones.

There are only a handful of planes that allow you to customize your ammunition loadout. 

• Like 1
  • Han unpinned this topic