Installation and Usage of SRS for IL-2 (Voice Comms App)

Jason_Williams

RedKestrel
On 1/30/2021 at 5:06 AM, Razor18 said:

Hi Gents,

question: if you go into any MP servers with SRS enabled, how many channels are available for use on that server? I probably  misunderstand when I think only 2x4 channel is to be shared among everyone? Just wondering whether with 50-60 people on, is it avoidable to use the same channels for more than one squad or group?

Or is it 2x4 channels each for Allied and Axisside? Could someone please clarify it to me? In DCS every squad can use their "own" frequency on as many radios as it is in that specific airframe, so you never talk over any other group. How about in SRS?

Thanks a million !

It depends on the server implementation. Allied and Axis have separate comms as long as the server operator enables coalition security.

CombatBox has 10 channels for each side, with Channel 1 being for general coordination and for the automated radio callouts they do, and Channel 2 for airfield communications.  You can also monitor one channel while speaking on another, and a lot of guys monitor channel 1 and fly with other guys on a separate channel. 

In general, even with a full server, you don't usually see more than half the players on SRS. Squads will often have their own discord or Teamspeak for their own flyouts, while singles or smaller squads use SRS. I just hop on channel 1, and when I spawn in announce my intentions. If people respond on  channel 1 you can use that channel, , or if you have a bunch of people on 1 doing the same thing you can migrate to a new channel. Usually if a channel gets too crowded things change organically. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-332FG-Hank_DG

I keep having the issue with SRS not auto connecting, when I do connect manually, it never puts me on a side, I'm always stuck in the neutral channel when i spawn in. I've updated, reinstalled multiple times and my settings are correct. Firewall issue maybe?

6 hours ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

I keep having the issue with SRS not auto connecting, when I do connect manually, it never puts me on a side, I'm always stuck in the neutral channel when i spawn in. I've updated, reinstalled multiple times and my settings are correct. Firewall issue maybe?

For support please go to discord and I'll help there

https://discord.gg/Ajzxqxj

There are also a set of common issues you can work through

• 2 weeks later...
102.R.dd_Blade18
On 2/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, RedKestrel said:

It depends on the server implementation. Allied and Axis have separate comms as long as the server operator enables coalition security.

CombatBox has 10 channels for each side, with Channel 1 being for general coordination and for the automated radio callouts they do, and Channel 2 for airfield communications.  You can also monitor one channel while speaking on another, and a lot of guys monitor channel 1 and fly with other guys on a separate channel. 

In general, even with a full server, you don't usually see more than half the players on SRS. Squads will often have their own discord or Teamspeak for their own flyouts, while singles or smaller squads use SRS. I just hop on channel 1, and when I spawn in announce my intentions. If people respond on  channel 1 you can use that channel, , or if you have a bunch of people on 1 doing the same thing you can migrate to a new channel. Usually if a channel gets too crowded things change organically. 

Thank You RedKestrel !

I understand then there is no way to have "private" in-squadron only comms, as we can do by choosing own frequency in DCS for instance? In other words all axis and allies channels are publicly accessible, even if each side only their own 10 channels, right?

RedKestrel
2 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Blade18 said:

Thank You RedKestrel !

I understand then there is no way to have "private" in-squadron only comms, as we can do by choosing own frequency in DCS for instance? In other words all axis and allies channels are publicly accessible, even if each side only their own 10 channels, right?

Yes. If you set up on Channel 3 with your squad, someone else on your side could come on and listen in/talk.

But there are 10 channels in Combat Box for instance, there are usually five or six that sit empty, so if you set up on one with your squad I doubt you would get interrupted. I suppose you could ask them politely to use another channel as you are trying to coordinate with the squad.

If you want private channesl I think you need to use discord or teamspeak. But you can also have one person monitoring SRS and relaying information.

• Like 1

102.R.dd_Blade18

Thanks. "Our" problem is rather to work and communicate in fighter pairs, but stil have a common channel for the flight, because talking over each other on the same channel (as we do now on Discord) is counterproductive in crowded situatuions. I dunno too much about TS Whisper function, but maybe that would be our solution after all, rather than SRS?

Thanks

RedKestrel
4 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Blade18 said:

Thanks. "Our" problem is rather to work and communicate in fighter pairs, but stil have a common channel for the flight, because talking over each other on the same channel (as we do now on Discord) is counterproductive in crowded situatuions. I dunno too much about TS Whisper function, but maybe that would be our solution after all, rather than SRS?

Thanks

CombatBox's implementation of SRS at least has the ability to listen on two channels at once, and you can bind a button to speak on either channel. So you could do this by having everyone set up to listen on say channel 5, and then the flights take 6, 7, and 8 or something, and then use one key to speak on the common channel and another to speak on your flight channel. But this would occupy a bunch of different channels and increase the likelihood of someone else speaking on your channel. Maybe a bit impractical.

Probably the TS whisper feature is more what you need as a squad. SRS' big strength is the ability to form up ad-hoc 'squads' from whoever is online, hop on a channel together and have squad-like coordination among solo players or squad flyers online in ones or twos. Did that for a few hours yesterday.

• Upvote 1

102.R.dd_Blade18

I don't know (will maybe ask Ciribob) if it would be possible at all to enter own frequencies "behind" the in-game channels, so that squadrons separation possibility would be almost unlimited, and not just "axis or allies".

Thank you

102.R.dd_Blade18

By the way, sorry if lame question, but where can one find info about SRS availability on any particular server? Or maybe a list anywhere about MP servers tha already implemented server side SRS availability?

Thanks for info

• 2 weeks later...
kestrel79
On 8/1/2020 at 10:55 AM, ciribob said:

You can directly bind select radio 1, and select radio 2 so no need to cycle

My person preference to bind

• Select Radio 1
  • Select Radio 2
  • Select Intercom
  • Channel up
  • Enable Radio switch works as PTT in SRS settings - press and hold the Select Radio / Intercom bind to Select & Transmit

With a four way hat this gives - 

Up - Channel Up

Left - Press and hold to select and transmit on Radio 1

Down - Press and hold to select and transmit on Intercom

Right - Press and hold to select and transmit on Radio 2

I have a warthog so I use the 5th (the push in on the hat) to trigger Read Status (TTS) - i'm in VR and this reads details about the currently selected radio which is really handy

The instructions above are highly recommended if you have a Warthog. Very easy to use with a HAT switch. I downloaded and installed last night, took a little it of trial and error, reading this thread, and watching a couple how to Youtube videos and I got SRS pretty dialed in on my setup.

Wow this is a game changer online! I can't tell you how cool it was to be sitting in my cockpit in VR, Buttkicker rumbling, and requesting a callsign and takeoff and having a voice that sounds like a real person respond this is awesome!

I must admit my IL2 Great Battles series multiplayer experience is very low, I only have time to do quick missions these days with a kid but I will for sure find more time to play online on Combat Box with these cool features in the game now. Back in my younger days I used to spend all day playing 1946 IL2, times are a little different now getting old sucks. Hats off to everyone involved who made this can't wait to play more online.

• Upvote 2

@kestrel79 glad that setup has worked well and you liked the experience so far!

Really can't recommend combat box enough, the new AI voice integration is amazing.

If you do have suggestions for SRS, please do contact me on the SRS Discord. :)

I get massive ping spikes when I use this. Get kicked off the server every time. 

I turn it off and I can play no worries 

• Sad 1

kestrel79
8 hours ago, ciribob said:

@kestrel79 glad that setup has worked well and you liked the experience so far!

Really can't recommend combat box enough, the new AI voice integration is amazing.

If you do have suggestions for SRS, please do contact me on the SRS Discord. :)

My only suggestion was a vocal indication in game of when you change radios and channels for VR users...then I realized that's an actual option ALREADY built into the program. Amazing thank you works great.

11 hours ago, Bumfluff said:

I get massive ping spikes when I use this. Get kicked off the server every time. 

I turn it off and I can play no worries 

I'd be very surprised if its SRS - it has a very very low amount of bandwidth and data transfer

The data from IL2 to SRS is sent regardless of SRS running or not as well, which is probably more than the actual voice traffic

Please post your system specs, and any relevant info here: https://discord.gg/vqxAw7H and I can help

9 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

My only suggestion was a vocal indication in game of when you change radios and channels for VR users...then I realized that's an actual option ALREADY built into the program. Amazing thank you works great.

Yup! I fly in VR - hence why it got added 😄

RedKestrel
On 2/28/2021 at 10:19 AM, ciribob said:

I'd be very surprised if its SRS - it has a very very low amount of bandwidth and data transfer

The data from IL2 to SRS is sent regardless of SRS running or not as well, which is probably more than the actual voice traffic

Please post your system specs, and any relevant info here: https://discord.gg/vqxAw7H and I can help

Yup! I fly in VR - hence why it got added 😄

Pretty sure I have encountered this with SRS and Discord. There are times when my internet connection is poor due to high local load or poor connection to the wireless tower and I am able to fly only without voice comms. If I try and fly with any kind of voice chat, I get kicked more often for high ping, even on servers that I have a decent connection to. Probably if one experiences high variability in speed or latency this becomes an issue. 

I can tell when its going to happen - the voices sound choppy (probably dropped packets b/c of poor connection). At that point I know its only a matter of time until I'm booted. Playing without SRS or Discord can avoid this a bit, but its still possible to get disconnected.

I have tried to set my router to prioritize game traffic over voice chat (and everything else) but it didn't work all that well. Ultimately I think its just a poor connection being exacerbated by other apps crowding out Il-2, or my router QOS just not working as designed.

Out of curiousity, what would typical bandwidth requirements be for SRS? 

ciribob
20 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Pretty sure I have encountered this with SRS and Discord. There are times when my internet connection is poor due to high local load or poor connection to the wireless tower and I am able to fly only without voice comms. If I try and fly with any kind of voice chat, I get kicked more often for high ping, even on servers that I have a decent connection to. Probably if one experiences high variability in speed or latency this becomes an issue. 

I can tell when its going to happen - the voices sound choppy (probably dropped packets b/c of poor connection). At that point I know its only a matter of time until I'm booted. Playing without SRS or Discord can avoid this a bit, but its still possible to get disconnected.

I have tried to set my router to prioritize game traffic over voice chat (and everything else) but it didn't work all that well. Ultimately I think its just a poor connection being exacerbated by other apps crowding out Il-2, or my router QOS just not working as designed.

Out of curiousity, what would typical bandwidth requirements be for SRS? 

I'll do some benchmarks this weekend but you're looking at 60 kilobits (bits! not bytes) per second minimum while sending or receiving audio, but it wouldnt be enough to use up your available bandwidth 

That sounds like bad packet loss & jitter - which is more obvious when you're on comms as you can start to hear the UDP packets not arriving 😄  I'd guess that still would occur without Discord or SRS, but youwon'tt have the warning before it happens

• Thanks 1

RedKestrel
9 minutes ago, ciribob said:

I'll do some benchmarks this weekend but you're looking at 60 kilobits (bits! not bytes) per second minimum while sending or receiving audio, but it wouldnt be enough to use up your available bandwidth 

That sounds like bad packet loss & jitter - which is more obvious when you're on comms as you can start to hear the UDP packets not arriving 😄  I'd guess that still would occur without Discord or SRS, but youwon'tt have the warning before it happens

Yes, my own testing immediately after it happened revealed bad packet loss. I just find I'm often able to squeeze a sortie in before disconnecting without any comms active. Could easily just be coincidence.

Bumfluff

I’m definitely getting kicked with srs on. I turn it off and I can rejoin the server

ciribob
2 hours ago, Bumfluff said:

I’m definitely getting kicked with srs on. I turn it off and I can rejoin the server

Please post your system specs, and any relevant info here: https://discord.gg/vqxAw7H and I can help

• 4 weeks later...
ATAG-Knuckles

ok working on setting sos up, watched the video.  and 2 servers were mentioned. 7022 and 6022.  I can connect and appears my mic is transmitting. but I hear no one

downloaded with the updater so should be current version 

question. is there a password ?  and what server address should I be using.   

I believe I have srs.combatbox.net:7022

srs.combatbox.net:6022

ciribob
6 hours ago, ATAG-Knuckles said:

ok working on setting sos up, watched the video.  and 2 servers were mentioned. 7022 and 6022.  I can connect and appears my mic is transmitting. but I hear no one

downloaded with the updater so should be current version 

question. is there a password ?  and what server address should I be using.   

I believe I have srs.combatbox.net:7022

srs.combatbox.net:6022

If you can hear yourself in preview audio you're sorted

I

Ifnot https://discord.gg/vqxAw7H and I'll help there

Dont worry about ips port or password, it'll autoconnect for you when you join a server running SRS as long as SRS is running

Bumfluff

Bizarre - I still get kicked due to high ping with srs on. When off i can join the server fine. I’ll try for help on discord but if anyone has any bright ideas let me know please. 

ATAG-Knuckles
8 hours ago, ciribob said:

If you can hear yourself in preview audio you're sorted

I

Ifnot https://discord.gg/vqxAw7H and I'll help there

Dont worry about ips port or password, it'll autoconnect for you when you join a server running SRS as long as SRS is running

preview Audio grays out as soon as I click on " Connect".   working on connecting to discord, appears I have an old account, looking to retrieve my password

ciribob
3 hours ago, ATAG-Knuckles said:

preview Audio grays out as soon as I click on " Connect".   working on connecting to discord, appears I have an old account, looking to retrieve my password

Hit preview before you hit connect

ATAG-Knuckles

any specific reason that I get a green connect light for "Server" and "IL2".  but not VIOP. ?????

• 1 month later...
=TBAS=jamesirjames

My SRS won't show up on my desktop.  Used it for months with no problem.  Updated as well with no luck.  Any ideas??

ciribob
On 5/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, jamesirjames said:

My SRS won't show up on my desktop.  Used it for months with no problem.  Updated as well with no luck.  Any ideas??

Go here for support https://discord.gg/vqxAw7H

Please post as much detail as possible. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Oscar_Juliet

I've used the DCS version for a while. In IL2, I don't understand what Channel 1 - 4 or Channel 2 - 1 means. When other channels are a single number. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Oscar_Juliet said:

I've used the DCS version for a while. In IL2, I don't understand what Channel 1 - 4 or Channel 2 - 1 means. When other channels are a single number. 

The second number is the number of people on the channel (not including you if you are on it). So 1 - 4 is channel 1 and there are 4 people on it if you are not on it and 5 people on it if you are on it. If there is no second number, there is nobody on the channel.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1

kissTheSky

I used SRS (and ventured online) for the first time yesterday and I think this is great. 

2 feature requests if I may;

- auto disconnect when player exits multiplayer, (I stayed connected to combat box after I exited the server and multiplayer yesterday), and

- radio/intercom toggle command for key mapping/binding please?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
352nd_Hoss
On 6/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, kissTheSky said:

I used SRS (and ventured online) for the first time yesterday and I think this is great. 

- auto disconnect when player exits multiplayer, (I stayed connected to combat box after I exited the server and multiplayer yesterday), and

Agree on the PTT toggle button for radio/intercom in game that can be used on SRS

Hoss

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
TCW_DirtyMike0330

Can this be used standalone for my squadron to replace Discord? For example, I am hosting an SRS server on a separate PC and a couple people can connect to it, but we cannot hear each other communicate. Does the SRS server HAVE to be tired to an IL2 game server in order to function? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
352nd_Hoss

I've been looking for a database on Servers using SRS and the address to each, is there such an animal?..

Cheers

Hoss

On 6/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, kissTheSky said:

@kissTheSky, I'm not sure exactly what you want for feature number 2, but you can set up two push-to-talk (PTT) keybinds, one for each radio. Each PTT keybind will automatically select the related radio. For details, see step 7 under "Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2" in this post.

Edited by JimTM

kissTheSky
29 minutes ago, JimTM said:

@kissTheSky, I'm not sure exactly what you want for feature number 2, but you can set up two push-to-talk (PTT) keybinds, one for each radio. Each PTT keybind will automatically select the related radio. For details, see step 7 under "Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2" in this post.

Thanks @JimTM,

im hoping for something similar to change channel command that increments radios/intercom and also wraps, I.e., when it goes to intercom and the same button is pressed, it returns back to radio 1. 

That way I can set three buttons (PTT, radio change, channel change) on the stick/throttle and would have all I need. Keyboard is out of reach so I usually try and keep everything on the Hotas. 

352nd_Hoss

I added a BlackHog b-explorer model "A" to my HOTAS setup (TMWH), it's got the four axis sliders, and two axis knobs.  In between the knobs there are four red buttons On the bottom left one is SRS Radio 1 on the far right is Radio 2, there are two buttons on top of each other in between Rad1/Rad2 buttons I use for Channel 1 the bottom is Channel 2 (of either radio).  I have to use Joytokey for this device, and on the Channel 1 and Channel 2 to a short push will change to that channel, on the Channel 2 button a longer push will (next channel command) sequence up through higher channels to channel 5 on Radio 1, Channel 1 long push brings you back up the channel list, this is just for Simple IL2 SRS, I'm working on one for the more in depth DCS SRS.  But it would be awesome to see the lights change on the Radio controls in cockpit so I don't need an overlay from SRS to see which channel I'm on over Channel 1/2 on Radio 1/2. And being able to control volume on SRS/in cockpit radios with those two Rotary Axis knobs.

Cheers

Hoss

b-exploere 1.jpg

1 hour ago, kissTheSky said:

Thanks @JimTM,

im hoping for something similar to change channel command that increments radios/intercom and also wraps, I.e., when it goes to intercom and the same button is pressed, it returns back to radio 1. 

That way I can set three buttons (PTT, radio change, channel change) on the stick/throttle and would have all I need. Keyboard is out of reach so I usually try and keep everything on the Hotas. 

Re. the post I mentioned:

• PTT (one only) - In the Controls tab, set a key for Push To Talk - PTT and (optionally) Push To Talk – Modifier. Also, under the Settings > Profile Settings tab, ensure that Radio Switch works as Push To Talk (PTT) is set to OFF.
  • Radio Change - See step 7, third bullet and step 8, forth bullet
  • Channel Change - See step 7, forth bullet. I'm not sure that channel change will wrap, so you may need two buttons (up/down).

Edited by JimTM

kissTheSky
16 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Re. the post I mentioned:

• PTT (one only) - In the Controls tab, set a key for Push To Talk - PTT and (optionally) Push To Talk – Modifier. Also, under the Settings > Profile Settings tab, ensure that Radio Switch works as Push To Talk (PTT) is set to OFF.
  • Radio Change - See step 7, third bullet and step 8, forth bullet
  • Channel Change - See step 7, forth bullet. I'm not sure that channel change will wrap, so you may need two buttons (up/down).

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I must have missed the wrap radio button being an option. 

• Upvote 1