Installation and Usage of SRS for IL-2 (Voice Comms App)

Jason_Williams

4 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Madov said:

Thank you so much for your very prompt reply. One more querry - what does the Wrap Radio function option do?

There is still the querry about the Intercom, my wingman and I  couldn't get it to work. Both radios both Tx and Rx but nothing on Intercom.

Intercom is exactly that - an intercom as on a block of flats, you need to be in the same vehicle for it to work, or in spectators (no vehicle)

Wrap Radio channels controls what happens when you get to the last or first channel and hit next - either it loops or wraps - i.e channel 5 + up goes to channel 1 or it stops and up does nothing (wrap disabled)

Clear anwers, many thanks. I hadn't grasped the idea of  Intercom being synonymous with the Spectator pool.

Edited by 41Sqn_Madov
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, THERION said:

Hi mate,

thank you for your great radio tool - it is very immersive and much easier to use than TS or Discord, if you ask me. Now that you enhanced your tool with a second radio,

possibilities are better than even before. Great!

Just some input / suggestions (in no way to be considered as criticism!) concerning the key mapping function:

It would be nice to have a toggle button to switch from radio 1 to radio 2 or vice-versa, instead of having to cycle through radio1 - radio2 - intercom. This would

benefit the possibility of having a button to toggle between radio 1 and 2, without going through intercom.

I have f. ex. a button to toggle the overlay, then one for the intercom, two buttons to change the channels up and down and one toggle button to switch between

radio 1 and 2, except that at the moment when toggling I have to go through radio 1, radio 2 AND intercom. This way I could manage your tool with only 4 buttons,

which can be crucial on some hotas setups. But it's only an idea from me.

Cheers

You can directly bind select radio 1, and select radio 2 so no need to cycle

My person preference to bind

• Select Radio 1
  • Select Radio 2
  • Select Intercom
  • Channel up
  • Enable Radio switch works as PTT in SRS settings - press and hold the Select Radio / Intercom bind to Select & Transmit

With a four way hat this gives - 

Up - Channel Up

Left - Press and hold to select and transmit on Radio 1

Down - Press and hold to select and transmit on Intercom

Right - Press and hold to select and transmit on Radio 2

I have a warthog so I use the 5th (the push in on the hat) to trigger Read Status (TTS) - i'm in VR and this reads details about the currently selected radio which is really handy

Edited by ciribob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I appreciate your service support ethos Ciribob, you are a credit to the community.

EDIT : I got the Startup with Windows working as suggested, didn't know it was  so easy and will use this for other programs when needed. Thanks

Edited by 41Sqn_Madov
  • Thanks 1

Guys we were trying the intercom it seemed to work in tanks but not in a bomber any tips to make the intercom function in an aircraft

On 8/7/2020 at 10:25 PM, TP_Jacko said:

Guys we were trying the intercom it seemed to work in tanks but not in a bomber any tips to make the intercom function in an aircraft

Hmm should just work, I'll do some tests. Thanks for reporting

On 7/8/2020 at 9:31 PM, J5_Spyboy said:

@scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Voice attack is to use your voice commands to work plane features/controls, eg, 'Set Mixture 80%'

SRS is a way for multiplayers to communicate in game, similar to Teamspeak and Discord, I suspect it will have more immersion though.

Can voice attack be used to switch channel and radio

5 minutes ago, TP_Jacko said:

Can voice attack be used to switch channel and radio

Yes.

1- Set a key in SRS.

2- In voice attack do a profil and a vocal command using the key you set in SRS.

11 hours ago, ciribob said:

Hmm should just work, I'll do some tests. Thanks for reporting

Ciribob - if it helps, we were using the A20 to test the in-plane intercom and the Tiger to test the in-tank intercom.

New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.1.1

This release adds quite a a new feature, bug fixes, and improvements for the installer

To update run the Auto-Updater or download the release zip IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone-1.0.1.1.zip - extract and run the installer.exe

This update is backwards compatible but I recommend all servers and clients update to this version as there are some important bug fixes

Changelog

• Installer now intelligently reads the read only flag on .cfg file, edits and re-applies read only again if it was set. This fixes an issue some were having with the installer being unable to edit the IL2 .cfg file.
  • Added Push to Talk Release Delay defaults to 0 - max 500ms. Fixes issues with dodgy buttons. Use this if you have PTT repeatedly triggering. 200 ms is a good value if you have bad buttons.
  • Improved IL2 Sync Handler - work around bug with spectator coalition. For now it'll take 25 seconds before comms will switch to spectator after switching from a coloured side. Switching between coloured sides - i.e red to blue is still instantaneous so no worries there. Cant comms snoop :)

More details and release here: https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

Please don't forget to support this project too! Details on the link above on how to support 👍

Edited by ciribob
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Habu said:

Yes.

1- Set a key in SRS.

2- In voice attack do a profil and a vocal command using the key you set in SRS.

Thanks works a treat.

453=Luib_2001
On 7/7/2020 at 11:35 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Attention Pilots! 

We have partnered with our friend Ciribob who is the creator of the SimpleRadio Standalone (SRS) app to give IL-2 native SRS support. Ciribob has made a special version of SRS for IL-2 that fits the needs of our simulation and community without making it overly complicated. 

This small, but powerful app gives Sturmovik pilots and tank crews a way to have VOIP communications more integrated and easier to manage. We have built special support for SRS that allows users to automatically connect voice comms to hosted "SRS enabled" IL-2 servers and start communicating instantly with your fellow pilots upon joining. You can also select one of 5 channels to talk to your squad-mates or use an intercom to talk to your aircraft or tank crew. There is also an overlay that works in certain screen modes, but the point is to allow you to navigate and use SRS easily with your HOTAS or keyboard without the need to look at a menu. You can assign push-to-talk buttons for the radio channels and your intercom . You can also assign buttons to change channels. SRS is easy to use and setup. 

Special thanks for Ciaran Fisher aka Ciribob for his amazingly fast work in helping us bring SRS support to IL-2 and to the Sturmovik Team for also doing a great job building the support. And special thanks to @71st_AH_Hooves for suggesting SRS and putting us in touch with Ciribob. 

NOTE: This is not the same SRS app used in other flight-sims. SRS for IL-2 is similar, but has been tailor made for our product. 

IMPORTANT: The final release build of SRS for IL-2 is not quite ready yet, but will be released soon. 

Jason

Quick-Start Guide for IL-2: SRS

DOWNLOAD SRS for IL-2   (this link will always point to the latest build)

NOTE: SRS for IL-2 only works with Win8 and newer.

Installation for Clients and Servers

1. Unzip contents of the SRS archive to any folder you wish.

Setup for Clients

1. Edit data/startup.cfg  in the game directory - add the lines below at the bottom (without the game running):

[KEY = telemetrydevice]

addr = "127.0.0.1"

decimation = 2

enable = true

port = 4322

[END]

If you use a Jet Seat / SimShaker and have an entry already as below:

[KEY = telemetrydevice]

addr = "127.0.0.1"

decimation = 2

enable = true

port = 29373

[END]

Edit the entry to match below - adding the second   addr1 = "127.0.0.1:4322"

[KEY = telemetrydevice]

addr = "127.0.0.1"

addr1 = "127.0.0.1:4322"

decimation = 2

enable = true

port = 29373

[END]

2. Run the IL2-SRS-Client.exe and keep it running in the background any time you launch IL-2. You can of course minimize the app.

3. You can then configure speakers, microphones etc. The Optional Mic Output setting will send all Microphone output to your selected output device for recording etc.

Use Preview Audio to check everything is working correctly.

Increase the Speaker Boost if you’re too quiet.

SRS_Audio.thumb.png.826add68e635b11e951053b096889527.png

4. Make sure to bind in controls such as Push-to-Talk, Radio Select, Intercom Select and Toggle Overlay. At a minimum. you should bind hotkeys for channels or use the SRS overlay to change things. Note that SRS also detects joystick button presses to ease set up. 

SRS_Keybindings.thumb.png.47fe2d95ab3a2a627f528361c86dd0ad.png

5. On the SRS overlay which you can toggle On and Off - you can select the current channel, set the volume for the Radio and intercom and control its opacity. Other information will be displayed on the small info screen when you connect to a server. The red lights will turn green depending on whether you are speaking on the Radio or the Intercom.

The window can also be resized as desired.

SRS_Overlay.thumb.png.e61f30959f41adaf3eb48057e290eeb2.png

NOTE: The overlay does not appear in Full-Screen mode or in VR. To use the overlay buttons, you will also need to Alt-Tab to access it while in game. We strongly suggest you configure your Hotkeys for SRS to greatly simplify its usage.  

6. You can connect to a server by either auto-connecting when you join a game server or by manually entering the SRS server address for that game server. The Server Host will need to turn on the auto-connect feature for auto-connect to work. 

If you choose to manually enter the SRS server in advance of joining a game server, you'll need to enter the public IP for that server. By default, the port is assumed to be 6002.

Enter the IP and port like so 192.168.2.23:6002

SRS_Manual_IP.thumb.png.b463fc532165dcbdafcbffd9683a781e.png

Once your SRS is set up, joining an IL-2 server that has SRS running with auto-connect will allow you to almost instantly begin communicating with your fellow pilots. All Clients will be initially dropped into Channel 1 by default. You can then change the channel. 

Client Settings

- Auto Connect Prompt - If disabled you will be connected to the correct IL2-SRS server without a blocking prompt
- Auto Connect Mismatch prompt - if enabled - you will be warned when you are auto-connecting to a different IL2-SRS server than you are currently
- Reset Radio Overlay - Brings the radio overlay back to focus if it falls off the screen due to monitor changes
- Hide Overlay Taskbar item - Removes IL2-SRS from the taskbar - just leaving the Tray Icon
- Auto Refocus IL2 - Attempts to give focus back to IL-2 after interacting with the overlay to avoid alt-tab
- Allow More Input Devices - Increases the number of recognized input devices but can cause issues. Only enable if absolutely necessary
- Microphone Auto Gain - attempts to normalize microphone volume. 
- Microphone Noise Suppression - attempts to minimize background noise
- Minimize to Tray - If enabled SRS will hide the main window and minimize to the tray icon
- Check for Beta Updates - Alerts when beta updates are available
- Play Connection sounds - enables an audio effect on connect and disconnect
- Require Admin - Runs SRS in administrator mode. This is needed if keyboard hotkeys are used. If no keyboard hotkeys are required, this setting can be safely turned off
- Show Transmitter Name - When receiving a radio transmission you’ll see the name of the transmitter. Requires the server to have enabled this setting too
- Profiles - SRS can be setup to have different profiles, allowing you to switch all control settings and all profile settings quickly
- Radio Rx Effects - Enables and disables the Radio Receive sound
- Radio Tx Effects - Enables and disables the Radio Transmit sound
- Radio Switch works as Push To Talk - If enabled, instead of pressing the PTT button to talk, you can press and hold either Radio or Intercom switch to switch and speak in one press
- Enable Radio Voice Effect - enables a realistic radio effect to all incoming radio transmissions
- Enable Clipping Effect - enables a further realistic radio effect. If enabled you will need to increase the Speaker Boost as the volume will be reduced
- Radio Audio Channel - sets the balance for the radio transmission. Fully Left or Right will put the transmission in one ear
- Intercom Radio Channel - sets the balance for the intercom transmission. Fully Left or Right will put the transmission in one ear

Setup for Servers

1. Install .Net http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2085155 (usually installed already with Win10, but worth double checking)

2. Download and extract the SRS archive to any folder you wish.

3. Run the sr-server.exe and open ports 6002 TCP and UDP on your router or any firewalls by Port-Forwarding. Leave the app running in the background while your server is up and operating.

SRS_Server_Settings.png.5a46a854108ffc3813102728b32f7927.png

4. Add the public IP and port to DServer or the in-game server setup screen. Adding the public IP will automatically enable the auto-connect feature for clients. 

SRS_GUI_Server_IP.png.a730cb7f8ad8f80c0a5ed08fa86bc382.png

5. In the server settings - if you enable Coalition Security - only allies can hear each other. i.e Red to Red, Blue to Blue, Spectator to Spectator.

SRS_Server_Settings_Coalition.png.77e7c0ab9e34f5f4506d3ba328c42e7d.png

Client Admin - Allows you to see a list of clients currently connected, mute them temporarily, disconnect or ban them

Auto Export List - will save a file called client-list.json to the same directory as your SRS server - allowing for integration into other tools

Realistic TX Behavior - If ON makes the radio half duplex. You will not be able to hear incoming transmissions when you transmit

Check for beta updates - Enables SRS to look for updates flagged as Beta

Show Tuned Client count -  if ON will show the number of people currently tuned to a radio channel or intercom on the Client Radio overlay

Global Lobby Freq - Don't modify - ignore for now

Show Transmitter Name - If enabled, and enabled client side - shows the name of the pilot currently transmitting

We hope you enjoy using SRS for IL-2.

Jason

I tried to install but its sooo slow when downloading

Edited by 453=Luib_2001

1 hour ago, 453=Luib_2001 said:

Had lot's of updates on several PC - never had any problems with download speed. I suggest to check your installation.

1 hour ago, 453=Luib_2001 said:

If you donate I can stick it on better servers :P

Its on GitHub though which is usually pretty quick so I'd check your connection and run the autoupdater

9 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

Anyone else having issues setting hotkeys for SRS using toggle switches on their HOTAS when they have an X52 profile loaded?

With the warthog if you use target you need to set target to on before starting SRS, or hit rescan inputs in SRS

For the x55/x56 and x52, you can't use key emulation - so the joystick buttons need to be plain buttons for SRS to pick it up

You should also try setting the profile before starting SRS . If that works, you'll just have to hit rescan input if you set the profile after SRS starts.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to set this up and it’s great.  One problem I’m having is that when I transmit I’m hearing myself on a slight delay which is very distracting.  Is there a way I can set it so I’m not hearing my own transmissions?

QB.Gordon200
1 hour ago, KW_1979 said:

I finally got a chance to set this up and it’s great.  One problem I’m having is that when I transmit I’m hearing myself on a slight delay which is very distracting.  Is there a way I can set it so I’m not hearing my own transmissions?

Near the top of Settings page there are options for speakers and mic. For microphone you have the options for mic pass through which produces the feedback you are experiencing. Select no mic pass through to eliminate the annoying feedback.

Edited by QB.Gordon200
  • Thanks 1

41Sqn_Riksen

Suggestion to SRS developer @ciribob:

- Automatically mute bailed out and KIA pilots and allow them into the spectator channels once they enter map screen again.

This would add an additional level of imerssion as, you know, the dead cannot talk.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 41Sqn_Riksen said:

Suggestion to SRS developer @ciribob:

- Automatically mute bailed out and KIA pilots and allow them into the spectator channels once they enter map screen again.

This would add an additional level of imerssion as, you know, the dead cannot talk.

it already does after 30 seconds 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Suggestions to @ciribob  

-Group the Client List by faction so its easier to see who is connected that is on your side

-Resizeable windows, for connected clients

-Perhaps an indicator beside a persons name when they speak, so we know who is talking

Keep up the great work !  Seems to be catching on quite well.

49 minutes ago, Hipster said:

Suggestions to @ciribob  

-Group the Client List by faction so its easier to see who is connected that is on your side

-Perhaps an indicator beside a persons name when they speak, so we know who is talking

if lot of peeps on , might be too much...

maybe callsign/handle displayed second or 2 longer... after they transmit..

5 hours ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

if lot of peeps on , might be too much...

maybe callsign/handle displayed second or 2 longer... after they transmit..

6 hours ago, Hipster said:

Suggestions to @ciribob  

You see who transmits on the radio overlay so not needed on the client connected list. (As long as it's enabled)

Out of interest, why are you keeping the client list up? It was more designed for you to quickly check that it's all working ok and close than left up.

"You see who transmits on the radio overlay so not needed on the client connected list. (As long as it's enabled)"

And it works great, I just wish that it would display little tiny bit longer...by the time I glance at the OL, often its gone...

19 hours ago, ciribob said:

You see who transmits on the radio overlay so not needed on the client connected list. (As long as it's enabled)

Out of interest, why are you keeping the client list up? It was more designed for you to quickly check that it's all working ok and close than left up.

I use a Rift S , and was un able to get the overlay to work.  Maybe I'll give it a re-install.  Thanks

18 hours ago, Hipster said:

I use a Rift S , and was un able to get the overlay to work.  Maybe I'll give it a re-install.  Thanks

There is no overlay for VR unfortunately - you can pin the overlay using tools for some headsets though. Personally I use the text to speech option for my Rift S

Edited by ciribob

What is the actual game folder name and path to point to in initial setup? Its step 2 locate IL2 game folder. Is it this E:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow or is it this E:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\bin\game

Edited by VA_NAVY
more info

Thats not correctsrs.PNG.0f769d167f4585d886f22c39a1d86737.PNG when you first run setup and open SRS readio app it asks for the path and you have to enter it manually

3 hours ago, VA_NAVY said:

Thats not correctsrs.PNG.0f769d167f4585d886f22c39a1d86737.PNG when you first run setup and open SRS readio app it asks for the path and you have to enter it manually

The directory for the game is the one containing bin/game

So above it ends il2 sturmovik battle of moscow

New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.1.3

This release adds quite a a new feature, bug fixes, and improvements for the installer

To update run the Auto-Updater or download the release zip IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone-1.0.1.3.zip - extract and run the installer.exe

This update is backwards compatible but I recommend all servers and clients update to this version as there are some important bug fixes

Changelog

• Coalition changes - you now keep coalition through death. Coalition will only change when you've picked a different side and joined an aircraft
  • Fix for gunners intercom on bombers losing comms after 30 seconds - required the coalition changes

More details and release here: https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

Please don't forget to support this project too through Patreon https://www.patreon.com/ciribob 👍

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2020 at 1:51 PM, ciribob said:

New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.1.3

To update run the Auto-Updater or download the release zip IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone-1.0.1.3.zip - extract and run the installer.exe

Changelog

• Coalition changes - you now keep coalition through death. Coalition will only change when you've picked a different side and joined an aircraft
  • Fix for gunners intercom on bombers losing comms after 30 seconds - required the coalition changes

Please don't forget to support this project too through Patreon https://www.patreon.com/ciribob 👍

Thanks for your work on this!

• Thanks 1

VBF-12_Snake9
On 8/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, QB.Gordon200 said:

Near the top of Settings page there are options for speakers and mic. For microphone you have the options for mic pass through which produces the feedback you are experiencing. Select no mic pass through to eliminate the annoying feedback.

I can't find the mic pass through option?  

Will this program every be fully integrated into the game? Or will it always be a separate download? I've been waiting for it to be fully built into the game before I try. I thought I remember Jason saying something about that an update or two ago when it was first released.

7 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

Will this program every be fully integrated into the game? Or will it always be a separate download? I've been waiting for it to be fully built into the game before I try. I thought I remember Jason saying something about that an update or two ago when it was first released.

don't wait, its awesome!!!