Installation and Usage of SRS for IL-2 (Voice Comms App)

Jason_Williams

19 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

Will this program every be fully integrated into the game? Or will it always be a separate download? I've been waiting for it to be fully built into the game before I try. I thought I remember Jason saying something about that an update or two ago when it was first released.

Honestly, its almost fully integrated as is. It works for me flawlessly.
Right now, you just launch SRS before Il-2. It auto installs the first time, and auto-updates if there is a new version. Updates are super quick. Set it up how you like once, and then it will always work. If you run outside of fullscreen you can have an overlay on and place it wherever you want on the monitor.

It auto-connects to the server you join, and some servers like CB have little customizations to their SRS radio, like automated mission callouts and stuff. It's really cool. You don't have to do anything extra there, as soon as you autoconnect to the server their configuration starts working for you.

It's less work than starting up head tracking before a session. Much faster to load and update than Discord or even Teamspeak. No discernible performance impact. @ciribob has done an excellent job.

They may at some point get it fully integrated but its so close right now that there's no reason not to jump in and do it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I know it says that this program only works in Windows8 and above...

I just wondering, has anyone tried it with Windows7?

Does it work, and it's just not supported, or is it a no go?

Edited by SYN_Mugue

12 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Will this program every be fully integrated into the game? Or will it always be a separate download? I've been waiting for it to be fully built into the game before I try. I thought I remember Jason saying something about that an update or two ago when it was first released.

Maybe one day, but first it has to show promise and usage so get all your friends on :)

11 hours ago, SYN_Mugue said:

I know it says that this program only works in Windows8 and above...

I just wondering, has anyone tried it with Windows7?

Does it work, and it's just not supported, or is it a no go?

Windows 7 is out of support with Microsoft, you should update immediately

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ciribob said:

Windows 7 is out of support with Microsoft, you should update immediately

Thanks, I'm well aware that W7 isn't supported by MS anymore...And thanks for your update recommendation.

But that's not what I asked.  :)

I'm just wondering if this program will function at all on that OS. And if anyone has tried that.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, SYN_Mugue said:

I'm just wondering if this program will function at all on that OS. And if anyone has tried that.

Thanks again.

Try it. It's simple.

2 hours ago, SYN_Mugue said:

Thanks, I'm well aware that W7 isn't supported by MS anymore...And thanks for your update recommendation.

But that's not what I asked.  :)

Thanks again.

Can't say either way - I dont test against it, and I know it used to have issue so I wouldnt recommend it. You can always try though.

And again - its not a recommendation, really, its a must. You HAVE to update, as soon as you can - you have no more protection for any critical bugs or Zero days.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was asking. "It had issues"- and most likely will have issues.

I'm curious what those issue are, but I don't want to waste your time or mine.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, SYN_Mugue said:

Thanks, that's kind of what I was asking. "It had issues"- and most likely will have issues.

I'm curious what those issue are, but I don't want to waste your time or mine.

Cheers.

Issue was the overlay will look a little odd

but again, no harm in trying - just run the autoupdater and it does it all for you so you've wasted about 2 minutes of your life at most if it doesnt work :)

• 1 month later...

I can't get any of this to work or install. Can someone walk me thru this on the phone? PM me if you would like to help. I'm located in the USA, Central Time. Thx

Edit - Since trying to install this and apparently failing to do it correctly, I can no longer connect to the Combat Box multiplayer server. I can connect to other multiplayer servers, just not Combat Box.

Edited by mjfur

7 hours ago, mjfur said:

I can't get any of this to work or install. Can someone walk me thru this on the phone? PM me if you would like to help. I'm located in the USA, Central Time. Thx

Edit - Since trying to install this and apparently failing to do it correctly, I can no longer connect to the Combat Box multiplayer server. I can connect to other multiplayer servers, just not Combat Box.

Literally just run the autoupdater - dont change anything manually in your .cfg or do anything other than turn the autoupdater. 

If you've already edited your .cfg file - remove any changes you manually did, then run the autoupdater

See https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

For support - see the Discord link on the link above

Edited by ciribob

EDIT: I have solved this problem.  It was an error on my part when making changes to the startup cfg file.

Ever since I recently downloaded SRS for IL-2 GB, I get the following error message every time I try to close IL-2 GB:

Error

Config errors found. Saved to 'CFGPool.log'

Does anyone else get this?  Should I worry about it?

IL-2 GB will not close down until I have cancelled this error message.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thank you and happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman  

MS FF2 Joystick
Thrustmaster VG TWCS Throttle
Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
VR Pimax 5k +
eDimensional AudioFX2 FF Vibration Headset 
JetPad powered by Gametrix (with SSA and SSW software)

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 3.7 - 4.7GHz, overclocked 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Case - Black 
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Graphics Card 
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z370-F GAMING
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks) 
OS Drive: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 
Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD Hybrid Drive  
Optical Drive: 24x DVD-RW Drive 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU 
Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio 
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
Monitor Samsung 2433BW 24" TFT, 5ms response time, Res: 1920x120

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

56 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Ever since I recently downloaded SRS for IL-2 GB, I get the following error message every time I try to close IL-2 GB:

Error

Config errors found. Saved to 'CFGPool.log'

Does anyone else get this?  Should I worry about it?

IL-2 GB will not close down until I have cancelled this error message.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thank you and happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman  

MS FF2 Joystick
Thrustmaster VG TWCS Throttle
Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
VR Pimax 5k +
eDimensional AudioFX2 FF Vibration Headset 
JetPad powered by Gametrix (with SSA and SSW software)

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 3.7 - 4.7GHz, overclocked 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Case - Black 
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Graphics Card 
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z370-F GAMING
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks) 
OS Drive: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 
Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD Hybrid Drive  
Optical Drive: 24x DVD-RW Drive 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU 
Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio 
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
Monitor Samsung 2433BW 24" TFT, 5ms response time, Res: 1920x120

You should not have this - post on the SRS Discord and I'll help there - https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest link here to discord

On 10/19/2020 at 3:49 PM, ciribob said:

You should not have this - post on the SRS Discord and I'll help there - https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest link here to discord

Thanks ciribob, very kind of you, but Discord is an application I don't engage with due to data mining, etc.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Thanks ciribob, very kind of you, but Discord is an application I don't engage with due to data mining, etc.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Use the web version (you don't need a desktop application) and use a 10 minute mail account if you're worried. 👍

23 hours ago, =LG=todeskvlt said:

@ciribob

Hi, it's possible to launch SRS automatically when you connect to the server? Like in DCS. Thank you.

Not possible without a further collaboration between IL2 development and SRS.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Ciribob, I really appreciate your work.  It’s amazing.

I hope everyone donates a little for your work.

Thanks! Some do :)

there is a patreon and PayPal (link on the Patreon) if anyone does want to support

I'm currently the sole developer on it but it's open source if others want to help 

On 10/20/2020 at 11:29 PM, ciribob said:

Use the web version (you don't need a desktop application) and use a 10 minute mail account if you're worried. 👍

Thanks Cribob, I solved the problem.  It was an error on my part when making changes to the startup cfg file.  Thanks for your offer of help.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• 3 weeks later...

After I install the latest version, I am getting Auto Updater error. And when I try to run the client, it crashes. Any tips how to fix this please?

10 hours ago, D3adCZE said:

After I install the latest version, I am getting Auto Updater error. And when I try to run the client, it crashes. Any tips how to fix this please?

Solved on Discord - missing .net 4.8

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the Profile settings is an option "Wrap next radio" What does this do ?

Also it would seen that there people Transmitting simultaneously on all Channels ? .... kind of defeats the purpose , I have no idea of how they do it though.

4 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

In the Profile settings is an option "Wrap next radio" What does this do ?

Also it would seen that there people Transmitting simultaneously on all Channels ? .... kind of defeats the purpose , I have no idea of how they do it though.

You can't transmit on all channels simultaneously. What exactly are you seeing? Please send a recording showing the SRS overlay

You can tune on some servers to two different channels, and that's it

Wrap next radio means when you press next and you're on radio 2, it goes back round to radio 1. Without it, next would stop

Edited by ciribob

Ok thanks. the scenario I had was with Radio 1 selected no matter what channel I selected (confirmed by Text to Speech) I could still hear the other guys talking. So to me it sounds like transmission on all channels. Though thinking through it, maybe it was just that they were on a Radio 2 Channel that I was hearing ?

I presume if you are on Radio 1 you can switch to radio 2 select say Channel 3 then return back to Radio 1 Channel 1 .... so then you are hearing Radio 1 Channel 1 and radio 2 Channel 3 ?

A nice feature would be the ability to have individual volume controls for each radio.... like the left and right balance channels.

Guest deleted@210880

Does this work on finnish server or WoL. I couldn't get either to work. I always had unplugged icons for 'Il2' and 'server', but plugged for 'VOIP', I assume they all should have been plugged icons?

It sounds like it is good for those who get it working, and would be nice if it can be integerated fully so that it's just a case of ticking a box to turn it on in Il2. Having to set permissions, ports, altering config files is too much for me who just wanted to casually dip in.

Very classy looking though for an app, well done.

SRS does work on Finnish Virtual Pilots, though it's usually pretty quiet there, especially compared to Combat Box. Not only do fewer folk speak on Finnish, Combat Box has also added some really clever and immersive radio callouts that also serve to demonstrate/ remind everyone that SRS is working, which in turn probably prompts more folk to speak.

Guest deleted@210880

Thanks. I figured it was probably my incompetence playing it's part rather than it not being available on the Finnish server.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, Bert_Foster said:

Ok thanks. the scenario I had was with Radio 1 selected no matter what channel I selected (confirmed by Text to Speech) I could still hear the other guys talking. So to me it sounds like transmission on all channels. Though thinking through it, maybe it was just that they were on a Radio 2 Channel that I was hearing ?

I presume if you are on Radio 1 you can switch to radio 2 select say Channel 3 then return back to Radio 1 Channel 1 .... so then you are hearing Radio 1 Channel 1 and radio 2 Channel 3 ?

A nice feature would be the ability to have individual volume controls for each radio.... like the left and right balance channels.

You were likely hearing then on the second radio tuned to channel 2 - or it may have been the second radio on channel 1, where you would still hear them.

There aren't per radio channels, just channels if that makes sense

You have two radios

You have 5 channels

Radio 1 set to channel 2 is the same as radio 2 set to channel 2, exactly as a real radio. The channel is just a frequency

There are left and right audio balance options already, look in settings as well as per radio volume controls.

16 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

Does this work on finnish server or WoL. I couldn't get either to work. I always had unplugged icons for 'Il2' and 'server', but plugged for 'VOIP', I assume they all should have been plugged icons?

It sounds like it is good for those who get it working, and would be nice if it can be integerated fully so that it's just a case of ticking a box to turn it on in Il2. Having to set permissions, ports, altering config files is too much for me who just wanted to casually dip in.

Very classy looking though for an app, well done.

For a client, you only have to run the autoupdater now, that's it. The original instructions are outdated.

The autoupdater launches the installer, and configures everything for you, no edited of config files.

Edited by ciribob

Thanks for the reply Ciribob ... I see the balance controls for radio 1 and radio 2 ... still looking for Vol controls for radio 1 and radio 2 :)

3 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

Thanks for the reply Ciribob ... I see the balance controls for radio 1 and radio 2 ... still looking for Vol controls for radio 1 and radio 2 :)

The sliders on the radio are volume

Look in the settings of SRS, it's at the bottom

6 minutes ago, Bert_Foster said:

I dont see them just balance controls

Connect to a server and open your radio overlay. See Controls > Overlay Toggle and Overlay Toggle Modifier. You'll see the grey sliders under each radio that is available.

8 hours ago, Bert_Foster said:

I dont see them just balance controls

SRSsettings.jpg

image.png.108ceea6c6163a1036c0dc471122ef3f.png

Sliders under the radio are volume - bottom is opacity

image.png.2884e084b2560b07a43deafd45491a3b.png

Sliders in settings are balance - if you want to split radio 1 and 2 over left and right ear

What is the Finnish Dynamic campaign SRS address?  I cant find it anywhere. The home page for it isnt much help.

2 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

What is the Finnish Dynamic campaign SRS address?  I cant find it anywhere. The home page for it isnt much help.

When I join the server SRS displays it as ts3.virtualpilots.fi:6002

• 1 month later...
102.R.dd_Blade18

Hi Gents,

question: if you go into any MP servers with SRS enabled, how many channels are available for use on that server? I probably  misunderstand when I think only 2x4 channel is to be shared among everyone? Just wondering whether with 50-60 people on, is it avoidable to use the same channels for more than one squad or group?

Or is it 2x4 channels each for Allied and Axisside? Could someone please clarify it to me? In DCS every squad can use their "own" frequency on as many radios as it is in that specific airframe, so you never talk over any other group. How about in SRS?

Thanks a million !

Edited by Razor18
  • Upvote 1