Sturmovikfest 2021: Mass-Formation Events

Hi Everyone,

I’m pleased to announce the 2021 Sturmovikfest Mass Formation Events occurring on Sunday, April 25 at 2:00 PM UTC/GMT and Sunday, May 2 at 8:00 PM UTC/GMT. These events were a big hit last year, with experts and novices alike having a great time flying together, doing aerobatics, and risking life and pixels by flying through open hangers. Many people were impressed by what an intense experience formation flying is and how much fun it is to tuck in beside your wing mates and put on a great show, in great-looking airplanes.

As our fearless “Fest Meister” ShamrockOneFive mentioned on the forum and in his Stormbirds blog, Sturmovikfest is a community-driven series of multiplayer events. During this special week, an enthusiastic community of event hosts, mission builders, server administrators, skin creators, and participants will come together to celebrate the wonderful planes and tanks of IL-2 Sturmovik. With the generous help of the Combat Box folks, I’m looking forward to contributing to this festival of fun.

Here’s an outline of the mass formation events:

• Signup is required (see below).

• The events are about two hours long and they are friendly combination of formation flying, aerobatics, and stunt flying (so, no combat and no AI planes). In the first hour or so, members of each flight will join up, get comfortable in formation, and do passes over the airfield (sometimes in combination with other flights). The second hour is a free-for-all, with formation or single aerobatics, stunt flying, and airfield fly-overs.

• The events are open to all WWI and WWII pilots, no matter which maps or planes you own.

• Don’t worry if you don’t have any formation flying experience, just have some fun. Collision damage will be turned off and I’ll place novices at the back of the formations, where possible.

• You can choose any plane you like, but make sure that you’re comfortable taxiing and flying the plane that you choose (people will be too busy to offer much help).

• You must have SRS (SimpleRadio StandAlone) for IL-2 for voice communications to participate in the events. You’ll have two radios available and every flight will have their own channel on one radio. Flight leaders will also have a leader channel on the other radio. See “Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2” in this post.
    Important! You cannot use the DCS version of SRS for this event.

• Server Name: Combat Box - Sturmovikfest Mass Formation Event
    Important! Before signing up, be sure that you have a good connection to the main Combat Box server (the event server is in the same location). This is a formation flying event after all, so network lag is the enemy.

• Event Location: Kuban, Gelendzhik-3 airfield (1522-7)
    We’ll also be using nearby airfields Gelendzhik-1 and Gelendzhik-2 at the start just to get more pilots into the air faster. The aerial action will center around Gelendzhik-3 and pilots can use that field later in the event to get back into the air. 

Signup

Spoiler

Event 1: Sunday, April 25 at 2:00 PM UTC/GMT (click the link to find your local time)

•    Signup

Note: The April 25 event requires no server password, but sign up anyway so I can place you in a good spot in a flight.

•    Current Event Spots Filled (out of 80 spots, updated manually)

•    Current Flight Assignments

Event 2: Sunday, May 2 at 8:00 PM UTC/GMT (click the link to find your local time)

•    Signup

Note: The May 2 event requires no server password, but sign up anyway so I can place you in a good spot in a flight.

•    Current Event Spots Filled (out of 64 spots, updated manually)

•    Current Flight Assignments

Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2

Spoiler

This procedure shows you how to install SRS for IL-2 (not the DCS version) and configure it to use two radios.

SRS provides two radios for you that can be set to different channels, which are displayed on an overlay. Here is how the radios are used:

• Flight leaders need one radio set to Channel 1 to talk to other leaders and the other radio set to the Channel for the flight that they are leading (assigned during signup period). 
  • Flight members only need one radio, set to their particular flight Channel (assigned during signup period).
  • Everyone needs a push-to-talk button (there is no voice activation) for each radio they use. You can make those buttons automatically switch your transmission to the required radio. 
  • You can choose which ear you want to hear each radio through.

Do the following:

1. Download file IL-2-SRS-Autoupdater.exe from the bottom of this page and run it.

2. Follow the steps in the SRS installation dialog.

SRS is installed to the folder you specified.

A new section called [KEY = telemetrydevice] is added to your IL-2 startup.cfg file.
    If you use Jet Seat / SimShaker, that KEY section exists already and the line
    addr1 = "127.0.0.1:4322" is added for SRS.

3. In your SRS folder, run IL2-SR-ClientRadio.exe.

4. Configure your microphone and speakers using the Microphone and Speakers drop-down
     lists (ignore the “NO MIC OUTPUT” setting on the right).

5. Click the gear icon halfway down on the right.
    The Favorites dialog appears.

6. Do the following to set up an SRS favorite:

• In Name, type something like “Sturmovikfest Mass Formation Event”
    (no quotes).

• In ServerAddress, type “srs.combatbox.net:7002” (no quotes) and click
    on the “+” button.

To connect to the SRS voice server before the event server starts, click the
     drop-down beside the gear icon, select the Sturmovik favorite you just set up,
     and click the connect button. Alternatively, SRS will connect automatically to the
     voice server when you join the event server.

7. At the top, click Controls and set the following controls:

• In Select First Radio, click set and press the push-to-talk button you want to use for your first radio.

• In Select Second Radio, click set and press the push-to-talk button you want to use for your second radio.

For the two radio selection controls to work as push-to-talk, you must enable Radio Switch works as Push To Talk (PTT) in Step 8.

Note: Do not use the push-to-talk buttons you set above just to select a radio.
          Use them only for talking. It is annoying when many people click their mikes just
          to select a radio and change the channel. Instead, use Select Next Radio / Intercom
          (next bullet)

Leave Push To Talk - PTT and Push To Talk – Modifier set to “None”.

• In Select Next Radio / Intercom, click set and press the button you want to select the next radio (ignore Intercom).

The selection will proceed like so: Radio 1 -> Radio 2 -> Intercom -> Radio 1,
           and so on (assuming you enable Wrap Next Radio in step 8 below).

• In Radio Channel Up and Radio Channel Down, click set and press the buttons you want to increase/decrease the channel for the currently selected radio.

• In Overlay Toggle, click set and press the button you want to show and hide the SRS overlay. 

If you want to use a key combination such as Cntl+T to toggle the overlay,
          set the first key using Overlay Toggle Modifier

If you play in full screen mode or VR, the overlay does not appear. Instead,
          set Enable Text to Speech in step 8 below so that SRS says the radio or
          channel that you just selected.

In the overlay following, the first radio is tuned to channel 2 (a flight channel)
          and the second radio is tuned to channel 1 (the leader channel). The green light
          indicates that the first radio is selected. The green light gets brighter when
          you transmit. The gray sliders control volume and the numbered buttons
          select channels up to channel 5 (use Radio Channel Up and Radio Channel
          Down to select any channel, including channels above 5).

1182233085_SRSOverlay.png.fe0934f879c4b4cce73ea136e9606352.png

8. At the top, click Settings, scroll down to Profile Settings and configure the following settings:

• In Radio Switch works as Push To Talk (PTT), click the blue box so it shows ON.

• (Optional) In Enable Radio Voice Effect and Enable Clipping Effect, click the blue boxes so they show OFF if you do not want these effects or you have trouble understanding voice transmissions during the event.

• (Optional) In Enable Text to Speech, click the blue box so it shows ON and set the volume you want in Text To Speech Volume.

With this option on, SRS says the radio you just selected or the channel you
           just selected.

• In Wrap Next Radio, click the blue box so it shows ON.

See the description for Select Next Radio / Intercom.

• In First Radio Audio Channel, move the slider to the side that you want to hear radio 1 on.

• In Second Radio Audio Channel, move the slider to the side that you want to hear radio 2 on.

See more setting details under “Client Settings”, ¾ of the way down on this page.

Event Area Description and Spectator Cameras

Spoiler

Each event will take place at Gelendzhik-3 (we'll call it "G-3") airfield at 1522-7 on the Kuban map. To get planes into the air faster, some pilots will start at nearby airfields Gelendzhik-1 ("G-1") and Gelendzhik-2 ("G-2"), to the West. At each airfield, there are aircraft spawns for bombers, ground attackers, and fighters.

Map and Guidelines

Here is a map for the general event area:

1854392636_2021_4_21__21_37_40-Small.png.ce2e37d0f08f10679e130f796b9d2832.png

Here is a closeup of the area near the three event airfields:

1214496650_2021_4_21__21_38_11-Small.png.11836b11853585b61d4162eb0ee7c803.png

Red and blue guidelines on the map help flight leaders and provide common reference points for coordinating formations. Note the following guidelines:

• A red line between "Point 1" (1523-2) and "Point 2" (1420-6), which is aligned with the active landing runway at 295 degrees, on the left side of the field. Use the right side of the field to take off. 
  • A red line between "Point 3" (1621-5) and Point 4" (1322-3), crossing the active runway at midfield.
  • A blue box surrounding the airfield, which helps guide a formation of large bombers to make a gentle 180 degree turn from the red line to the blue line.
  • A "circuit" (or "pattern" in the U.S.) to help fly orderly formations over the airfield and do orderly formation and non-formation landings.

Aircraft icons are on so you can see the location of your plane relative to the guidelines. 

The circuit consists of five legs:

• Takeoff (295 degrees)
  • Crosswind (205 degrees)
  • Downwind (115 degrees)
  • Base (25 degrees)
  • Final (295 degrees)

The blue line is a good guideline for a WWII bomber formation circuit. Fighters (especially WWI fighters) can fly a circuit closer to the field, but watch for other traffic flying a wider circuit.

Takeoff and Landing

At Gelendzhik-3, always stay to the left side of the field for landing and the right side of the field for takeoff (except at the start of the event, when we’ll use both sides to get people up in the air faster).

After landing, exit the runway to the left.

Here is the view on final approach to landing. 

1456678346_2021_4_21__21_53_38-Small.png.30c4d21edbbbf9f2a1612ec1f995aa35.png

Important! Before takeoff, everyone should set their altimeter to QFE (keybind: "Altimeter: reference pressure toggle". Press the key until Technochat indicates "Altimeter reference pressure: nearest friendly airfield elevation" and/or your altimeter reads 0 ft. / 0m on the ground or your current altitude above field level).

Spectator Cameras

The main airfield, Gelendzhik-3, has four spectator cameras available for those that want to record outside views (not while in formation please unless you are leading and you have autopilot on) 

• North, High
  • North, Low
  • South, High
  • South, Low

The other airfields, Gelendzhik-1 and Gelendzhik-2, have one low camera each. 

Formation Flying and Event Formations

Spoiler

If you are new to formation flying, you may flounder a bit but just have fun and do your best. Get as close to the formation as you feel comfortable and then reduce that distance as you gain experience. Remember that collision damage will be turned off, so you won’t ruin anyone’s day if you get too close.

To learn about some of the basics of formation flying, have a look at these videos by Requiem:

Here are a couple of tips that I find useful:

• To help you keep your position relative to another plane, position your plane to line up two parts of the other plane. For example, if you have a Spitfire on your right, you could line up the radio antenna just behind the cockpit with the back end of the underwing radiator on the right wing.

• If you are closing too fast on another plane to get into formation, you have some options to reduce speed:

- Pull the power back
          - Cross your controls briefly to generate drag (e.g., bank slightly right and
             apply a bit of left rudder or bank slightly left and apply a bit of right rudder)
          - Lower your speed brake briefly (if you have one)

Your position in the formation is given in the flight assignments for April 25 and May 2. Your position may change as new pilots sign up and adjustments are made to place novices near the back. Be sure to check the assignments close to the event time so you know your position number.

Here is a suggested formation you can use for the events (the side view is exaggerated; just remain slightly low relative to the plane ahead):

1093722310_SuggestedFormations.png.5f4f7dbf6104eee394d992d6f43ff864.png

However, use whatever formation works for your flight and don’t worry if you are not in your exact spot. Just try to remain in your current position relative to the other planes in the flight. So, if you’re in position 4, always keep to the left of the number 2 in the formation. That way, number 5 does not have to worry about “colliding” with you (in this case, merging wings with no damage).

Enjoy the experience!

Skins

Spoiler

In this section, I'll post information on how to get any skins that people want to provide for the event. Please create a post in this thread with information on how to get your skin and I'll add it here.

Note: Custom skins are not mandatory. You can choose any skin that you want, built-in or custom.

Some or all of the skins will be available in Haluter’s Skin Downloader (HSD), which is a great tool for managing skins (previewing, downloading, installing, and uninstalling). There is even a Sturmovikfest “Skin Pack” available in the filters at the bottom of HSD. Click the white checkmark in the green circle to apply the filters.

Important! If you do not have Haluter’s Skin Downloader, you must manually install skins so you can see them in-game. Do the following:

1. Place the skin file in your game folder under \data\graphics\skins\aircraft, where aircraft is the folder for the particular aircraft.
  2. To select the skin for your own aircraft, open your Plane Settings screen, click the drop-down list under Paint scheme, choose Custom and choose the skin.

Here are the current skins:

•    Raptorattacker
      - Sturmovikfest 2021 Colours for Hawker Tempest MkV and Focke-Wulf 190D9
      - Sturmovikfest 2020 Colours for P-51D and Bf109 K4
     Available in Haluter’s Skin Downloader

Selected Questions and Comments from this Thread and the Signup Forms

Spoiler

• Would appreciate being put in touch with others to fly with.
    Response: I'll be assigning people to flights as applications come in so keep an eye on the signup section links for "Current Flight Assignments" (pending). Let me know in the comments or this forum thread if you would like to fly with specific flights of people or in specific positions. I'll try to accommodate you as best as I can. 

• Are custom skins mandatory?
    Response: No, you can pick any skin you want, built-in or custom. If you want a custom skin, be sure to check the "Skins" section above.

• I am French speaking and I speak little English
    Response: No problem. I placed you at the back of the formation. Let your leader know that you do not speak much English. If you have problems understanding any leader instructions, just do your best to follow the formation.

Updates to this Announcement

Spoiler

2021-04-23

• Added a note under the April 25 event in the "Signup" section that the event will require no password.

2021-04-22

• Added content to "Formation Flying and Event Formations"
  • Added section "Event Status - April 25" for updates in case of SRS technical difficulties during the April 25 event.

2021-04-21

• Added content to section "Event Area Description and Spectator Cameras".

2021-04-19

• Added a procedure under "Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2"
  • Added a link to "Current Event Spots Filled" and "Current Flight Assignments" under "Signup" for both events
  • Added content to the "Skins" section
  • Added a new section "Selected Questions and Comments from this Thread and the Signup Forms"

Event Status - May 2

Spoiler

Look for updates here if SRS voice communication fails.

If you have an issue connecting to the event server or SRS, post a short message in this thread.

• 5:00 PM GMT: Countdown started for the event at 8:00PM GMT (London minus 1 hr.). 
  • No password will be required for the May 2 event, but sign up anyway so I can place you in a good spot in a flight.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

UPDATE: In the opening post, I added:

• A link to "Current Event Spots Filled" and "Current Flight Assignments" under "Signup" for both events
  • A procedure under "Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2"
  • Added content to the "Skins" section
  • A new section "Selected Questions and Comments from this thread and the Signup Forms"
Edited by JimTM

Thank you for running the Mass-Formation event again this year JimTM. I really enjoyed last years event and I'm sure that this years event will be a success as well. I have 2 requests to make concerning my flight assignments. If possible I would like to fly P-38's with Stoopy in one event and A-20's in the other event. Cheers

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, flokilothbrok1 said:

Thank you for running the Mass-Formation event again this year JimTM. I really enjoyed last years event and I'm sure that this years event will be a success as well. I have 2 requests to make concerning my flight assignments. If possible I would like to fly P-38's with Stoopy in one event and A-20's in the other event. Cheers

Thanks Flokilothbrok1. I was glad that last year's events were well received and I'm hoping this year's events are just as successful.

Re. your flight request, as long as Stoopy picks the same aircraft types (i.e., Bomber first, ground attacker second) I'll try to arrange that when I assign flights.

By the way, you picked both events as your first choice. Which one do you want to be your second choice?

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, JimTM said:

OK, as long as Stoopy picks the same aircraft types (i.e., Bomber first, ground attacker second) I'll try to arrange that when I assign flights.

By the way, you picked both events as your first choice. Which one do you want to be your second choice?

OK, my first choice is April 25 event and second choice is May 2 event, thanks

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, flokilothbrok1 said:

OK, my first choice is April 25 event and second choice is May 2 event, thanks

OK, I assigned you to the bombers for April 25. On April 21, I'll assign you to the ground attackers for May 2 if there are places left (which is likely so far).

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

FYI, the just-released Nieuport 28 and Spitfire XIV will be available (as well as every other flyable plane) in the mass formation events. I have a feeling we'll be seeing these two new planes well represented on the flight line. 

Don't miss out on the fun! Reserve your spot for either or both events now, under signup in the opening post.

:salute:

Edited by JimTM

Signups are starting to ramp up for the April 25 event. Reserve your place today in the opening post for one or both of the upcoming events.

Be sure to have a look at the section "Selected Questions and Comments from this Thread and the Signup Forms" (and the other sections) in the opening post.

UPDATE: 

In the opening post, I did the following:

• Added content to "Formation Flying and Event Formations"
  • Added section "Event Status - April 25" for updates in case of SRS technical difficulties during the April 25 event.

FYI, signups for the April 25 event are light at the moment so you won't need a password to join in this one. I encourage you to signup anyway if you want to join so that I can place you in a good spot in the flights. See the "Signup" section of the opening post.

Hope to see you there!  :salute:

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Before the April 25 event starts, take some time to review the sections in the opening post

You won't need a password for the April 25 event. If you haven't already, signup so I can place you in a good position in a flight.

Here are some notes for you before the event starts:

• Start Time: 2:00 PM UTC/GMT (click the link to find your local time)
  • Event Server Name: Combat Box - Sturmovikfest Mass Formation Event
  • In case of technical issues with the server or SRS, check the "Event Status - April 25" section of the opening post.
  • Check your flight assignments and position number (they may have changed since you signed up). 
  • SRS:
    - SRS Server Address: srs.combatbox.net:7002
    - Check that you have the SRS key binds set up as described in opening post section "Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2"
    - You can Connect to SRS before the event or allow SRS to auto-connect when you join the event server.
       You'll be connected to channel 1, where I'll do a short introduction and then we'll join our respective SRS flight channels.
    - I'll be on SRS radio channel 1 for the hour before the event starts. I may be away for brief periods during that hour.
  • Make sure that you have an IL-2 key bind for "Altimeter: reference pressure toggle". Press this button when you enter your plane so that your altimeter reads 0 ft. / 0 m.
  • Remember that collision damage is turned off so feel free to fly tight formations.
  • There are spectator cameras available (press F12 to cycle through the cameras and F11 to look around with your mouse)
  • Takeoff on the right side of the field.
    Land on the left side of the field and pull off to the left.
    There is a white "T" on the field dividing the left and right sides.
  • We'll use these locations labeled on your map for orienting the flights:
    - Circuit legs: Takeoff, Crosswind, Downwind, Base, Final
    For example, "Eagle flight, fly to point 4" or "Red flight is on downwind".
  • General plan:
    1.  Spawn in and start up.
    2. Following your leader, taxi to the right hand runway and takeoff.
    3. Proceed to an assigned area and get comfortable in formation.
    4. Make passes over the airfield, in single flights and in multiple flights.
    5. Do any of the following over the airfield:
        - Formation or single aerobatics
        - Head-on passes with other flights
        - Flying through the open hangers on the north and south side of the field
        - Ultra-close formation passes
        - Anything else you come up with

I hope you enjoy the event. See you there!  

Edited by JimTM

Thanks to everyone that joined in the event today. Hope you all had a good time joining up with your fellow pilots. Feel free to post any pictures or videos here.

There are lots of spot open for the May 2 event at 8:00 PM UTC/GMT so signup in the opening post.

Cheers!   :salute:

Jim

• Upvote 2

Hi Jim, Jody here. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed flying with you today. Your precision, speed, turns, made it easy to formate with you. Not being used to engine management, I had one engine on 50% rpm the whole time which caused a few problems and when you speeded up after the formation with the fighters, I struggled to catch up, couldn’t get past 220 mph. and at least I didn’t hit you! Although I was a bit close a few times.

and thanks to Gustav for some cool formating!

i’ve been flying fight Sims since my first omega 500 way back! But this was just awesome. Again, many thanks

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [THORN]JodyMP said:

Hi Jim, Jody here. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed flying with you today. Your precision, speed, turns, made it easy to formate with you.

...until I went inverted over the field, then it got harder to formate.  :)

I'm glad you had a good time JodyMP! Thanks for joining in.

14 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

The first event was too early for me. I will try joining the second one. Thanks for organizing this.

No worries THOR. See you at the May 2 event if you are available.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2021 at 2:09 AM, 6FG_Tiny said:

Wish i could join! Im just afraid the lagg is gonna get me. So im out

That's too bad Tiny. If your connection is not too bad, you could try joining and see how it goes. Just follow a formation a little ways back until you feel comfortable with your connection. Remember that damage is off so you won't ruin anyone's day (they'll just get a bump, but no damage).

On 4/27/2021 at 12:21 PM, Padinn said:

This sounds great, count me in.

See you there Padinn!

Here's a short video of the bomber formation warming up before the fighters and bombers got together.

More April 25 content here:

There are still places left for the May 2 event at 8:00 PM UTC/GMT. Sign up in the opening post.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 4/27/2021 at 2:09 AM, 6FG_Tiny said:

Wish i could join! Im just afraid the lagg is gonna get me. So im out

You should give it a try anyway Tiny, its a great deal of fun and a laid back kinda atmosphere. And with the damage being off, it's kinda like dancing with a drunk fat chick, a lil bumpin is kinda fun, lol

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, 6FG_Tiny said:

Sign me up! ;)

Welcome! Please jump on up to the opening post and sign up under..."Signup" Tiny. The signup form gives me some information to place you in one of the flights.

1 hour ago, flokilothbrok1 said:

Can I change my flight assignment to the bomber group please. I think that is a better fit for me than the ground attack, thanks

Done. You're welcome.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Before the May 2 event starts, take some time to review the sections in the opening post

You won't need a password for the May 2 event. If you haven't already, signup so I can place you in a good position in a flight.

Here are some notes for you before the event starts:

• Start Time: 8:00 PM UTC/GMT (click the link to find your local time)
  • Event Server Name: Combat Box - Sturmovikfest Mass Formation Event
  • In case of technical issues with the server or SRS, check the "Event Status - May 2" section of the opening post.
  • Just before the event starts, check your flight assignments and position number (they may have changed since you signed up). 
  • SRS:
    - SRS Server Address: srs.combatbox.net:7002
    - Check that you have the SRS key binds set up as described in opening post section "Set Up Voice Communications Using SRS for IL-2"
    - You can Connect to SRS before the event or allow SRS to auto-connect when you join the event server.
       You'll be connected to channel 1, where I'll do a short introduction and then we'll join our respective SRS flight channels.
    - I'll be on SRS radio channel 1 for the hour before the event starts. I may be away for brief periods during that hour.
  • Make sure that you have an IL-2 key bind for "Altimeter: reference pressure toggle". Press this button when you enter your plane so that
    your altimeter reads 0 ft. / 0 m.
  • Remember that collision damage is turned off so feel free to fly tight formations.
  • There are spectator cameras available (press F12 to cycle through the cameras and F11 to look around with your mouse)
  • Takeoff on the right side of the field.
    Land on the left side of the field and pull off to the left.
    There is a white "T" on the field dividing the left and right sides.
  • We'll use these locations labeled on your map for orienting the flights:
    - Circuit legs: Takeoff, Crosswind, Downwind, Base, Final
    For example, "Eagle flight, fly to point 4" or "Red flight is on downwind".
  • General plan:
    1.  Spawn in and start up.
    2. Following your leader, taxi to the right hand runway and takeoff.
    3. Proceed to an assigned area and get comfortable in formation.
    4. Make passes over the airfield, in single flights and in multiple flights.
    5. Do any of the following over the airfield:
        - Formation or single aerobatics
        - Head-on passes with other flights
        - Flying through the open hangers on the north and south side of the field
        - Ultra-close formation passes
        - Anything else you come up with

I hope you enjoy the event. See you there!  

Edited by JimTM
Posted (edited)

Hi JimTM,

I'm signing up late to this party I know, but if at all possible would like to lead a flight of P-38's this year in the May 2nd event, with @GregP, @itsbillyfrazier, @flokilothbrok1 if he can still make it (thanks for the mention above, floki!) and anyone else who'd like to be assigned.  I formally signed up just yesterday but didn't get a chance to read the full thread until now.

Understanding this request is coming in at the last minute, been a bit busy lately and looking forward to another fun time!

Stoopy

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

Hi JimTM,

I'm signing up late to this party I know, but if at all possible would like to lead a flight of P-38's this year in the May 2nd event, with @GregP, @itsbillyfrazier, @flokilothbrok1 if he can still make it (thanks for the mention above, floki!) and anyone else who'd like to be assigned.  I formally signed up just yesterday but didn't get a chance to read the full thread until now.

Understanding this request is coming in at the last minute, been a bit busy lately and looking forward to another fun time!

Stoopy

Welcome Stoopy. I put all of you together in Hawk Flight, along with @haluter and @rodrigo_dm (if they want to fly P-38s). haluter and rodrigo_dm, if you want to fly another plane, let me know and I'll move you over to Eagle flight.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks JimTM!

Hawk Flight going to try to get together for some formation practice before hand (tonight or tomorrow), @haluter and @rodrigo_dm, you guys are more than welcome to join us for some fun.  

And as a shameful plug, if anyone would like to try a practice tool to hone their formation flying skills on their own ahead of time, some of the PG buddies have mentioned that the Close Formation Challenge objective that's included in the Moscow  Interactive Playground single-player mission set has been beneficial for them - it's on the map next to the airfield on either side, take off, fly through the circle on the map to activate the objective, then form up on the AI leader and follow the instructions to stay in formation around a fixed figure-8 course.   If you can do that in any of the Battle of Moscow planes, you should be good to go to fly a tight formation online! 

🤙

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)

@JimTM - I may have missed it but what is the recommended altitude that you'd like us to fly the course?  2,500 feet / 750 meters seemed about right due to surrounding terrain, but thought I'd check.

And thanks for putting this together so well!

Edited by Stoopy
27 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

@JimTM - I may have missed it but what is the recommended altitude that you'd like us to fly the course?  2,500 feet / 750 meters seemed about right due to surrounding terrain, but thought I'd check.

And thanks for putting this together so well!

You're welcome Stoopy. Should be fun.

Yes, 2,500 ft. AGL (about 760 m) is good for the circuit. 

For everyone, make sure that you have an IL-2 key bind for "Altimeter: reference pressure toggle". Press this button when you enter your plane so that your altimeter reads 0 ft / 0 m.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Here is some footage I took while streaming today. Thanks so much for allowing me to participate, first time in IL-2 MP and I had a blast.

Mass Formation Forming Up:
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoldCleanTigerDoritosChip--D7VsjroKVjY6q_A

A little bumping and grinding. 
https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliviousResourcefulChinchillaBrainSlug-kToLq3LtTfWdf26C

Eagle Flight Formation Loop

https://clips.twitch.tv/MistySassyTrayKlappa-MklDx9fPJF80BsGP

Low Altitude Pass in VR

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgreeableInventiveEyeballShazBotstix-WfD677Ft6sjw1kbM

Full video --> https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1009014970

Edited by Padinn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone that took part in the mass formation events. It looks like you enjoyed mixing it up with your fellow pilots, whether right side up or upside down. I'm looking forward to seeing the videos from participants, and I'll try to add one of my own soon.

Special thanks to haluter, Alonzo, and Combat Box for the server setup and to ShamrockOneFive for pulling together a wonderful festival. It was good fun to join in on the events.

Cheers!    :salute:

JimTM

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I've added a download link below for my recorded tracks if they're of interest - great flying by everyone in Hawk Flight!

Thanks for this Stoopy.

So I decided to check out how bad my formation flying was yesterday and also to admire those that seem to do it effortlessly!

However I get the following error message when I try and load the tracks:

Spoiler

Track_issue.thumb.png.8a2fea5f5fd4022dbc850ef0f18fb90f.png

Any idea how to get this working?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

However I get the following error message when I try and load the tracks:

Reveal hidden contents

Track_issue.thumb.png.8a2fea5f5fd4022dbc850ef0f18fb90f.png

Any idea how to get this working?

Thanks.

It should be looking for the original multiplayer mission that was downloaded to your PC when you joined the event.

Look in your IL2 data folder under \Multiplayer\Dogfight\alonzo and see if you have a folder and mission files for "sturmovikfest_2021_mass_formation_event"

4 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Look in your IL2 data folder under \Multiplayer\Dogfight\alonzo and see if you have a folder and mission files for "sturmovikfest_2021_mass_formation_event"

Yeah I can confirm the folder is there alright...weird.

Thanks anyway Stoopy, perhaps its better for my ego if I don't see my terrible overshoots and near collisions 😁

Spoiler

Doc.thumb.png.617b3ebd3a5c22577b1b44da6ca8449d.png

• Haha 1