Jason_Williams

Installation and Usage of SRS for IL-2 (Voice Comms App)

Cool! The version for the "other sim" works great.

How to use this feature?:blush:

The app will be officially release soon. Just need to tidy up some details. But the support is in the sim now. It's a little different from the other SRS, but accomplishes the same thing.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

different from the other SRS, but accomplishes the same thing.

Some slowpokes like me - not use that thing before, not other not different:wacko:

I hope some guide will be with release?

Would the signal strength be distance-dependent like in the "other sim"?

Posted (edited)

Is this a better program than TC3?

Edited by 2/SG2_GIR

Wow, that will be amazing, i can wait for having it!.. Thank you Jason!

-S-

Posted (edited)

Nice to see SRS in Ił2 - very good choice!

Does it take into account waves propagation and will be implemented worst radio conditions (for example when the distance will be too big)?

One more question - 5 channels will not be historical correct for every plane (any plans to make it correct for every plane in the sim?)- but it is better to use it in this shape than everyone uses their own communicator.   

Edited by RavN_Gora
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, 2/SG2_GIR said:

( This info is from DCS but i beleave that will be the similar for Il2)

SRS aims to provide easy to use and realistic communication .

Servers can configure SRS to be more or less realistic – enforcing realistic line of sight and distance limitations or allowing aircraft to always hear each other.

-S-

Edited by GOA_Karaya_VR

1 hour ago, 2/SG2_GIR said:

Much better! Because you no longer need to join different TeamSpeaks.... Everyone on the server can talk on a few different channels but is connected together. So you'll now be able to talk over the radio to that random plane that is flying next to you. Yayy!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Our SRS is not exactly like DCS version so please do not use that version to describe our version. Please just wait for release. Unfortunately I was forced to announce the SRS support before the final build was ready so this is a little confusing. My apologies.

Jason

1 hour ago, RavN_Gora said:

Nice to see SRS in Ił2 - very good choice!

Does it take into account waves propagation and will be implemented worst radio conditions (for example when the distance will be too big)?

One more question - 5 channels will not be historical correct for every plane (any plans to make it correct for every plane in the sim?)- but it is better to use it in this shape than everyone uses their own communicator.   

We are not aiming for extreme realism here with our SRS. We are aiming for ease of use.

If our SRS for IL-2 proves popular and useful we will look at maybe adding additional features, some of that work would have to come from us and some of that would have to come from Ciribob who is the creator. 

Jason

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

Bravo and thank you for this function.

It is now up to us players to make the best of it, to convince you to go deeper down this path.

👍

• Upvote 1

I’m hoping it’s old man compatible 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Mm1ut1 said:

I’m hoping it’s old man compatible 😁

Being integrated into the sim hopefully means it will be much simpler than running a separate comm program and jumping back and forth to switch channels etc., so..... yeah it outta be, as much as possible. 

I wanted to ask my own trifling question about implementation minutiae but the signal strength and wave propagation guys beat me to it, so... hhmmmmmm... what to ask...  ok yeah - hey, will it start sounding like cr@p every once in a while and require us to replace the vacuum tubes to restore sound quality?  Will the Refuel/Repair/ReArm option settings in the mission editor be modified to enable or disable a "vacuum tube check" ?  How about replacing leaky filter capacitors every ten years, will that be modeled?  😀

Edited by Stoopy

OP updated with Quick-Start Guide. Link to release version of SRS not available yet, but soon.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does this simulate radio static etc I seem to remember a TS overlay that did and it sounded like proper radio coms rather than Discord where your fellow pilot sounds like he is in the same room! Thanks Jason, I think this is a good addition which should be popular.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

OP updated with Quick-Start Guide. Link to release version of SRS not available yet, but soon.

Jason

👍   Awesome!  🤙   Thank you!  🤘

Hmmm.  OK so the controls for channels etc are not basically integrated into IL2 per se.   Would be great if that could be looked at down the road to eliminate switching back and forth between tasks, particularly for VR users etc.  Like you say if this become popular, which I expect it will be.

Edited by Stoopy

Posted (edited)

OK I'll ask the stupid question, because I'll soon be old.....64 Saturday.....Can this eventually give us single player in game communication, like Voice attack, that I 'can't work yet. Or is this just for on line players.

Thanks in advance

Love the update 

Edited by scotsmanFlyingscotsman

I understand ... That is .. I can communicate with friends through this program. And the signal attenuation will also be realized .. This is cool. Then, it didn’t interfere with the damage to the radio. More truly one of two. On the old planes put on two radio stations. One to receive another to transfer. In Russian, it’s generally only for an appointment up to 43 years. Transmitter on the commander.

@scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Voice attack is to use your voice commands to work plane features/controls, eg, 'Set Mixture 80%'

SRS is a way for multiplayers to communicate in game, similar to Teamspeak and Discord, I suspect it will have more immersion though.

Guys,

I would just leave SRS on and minimized, set up your button/key binds and go fly in MP. If the server has SRS, which I think most will adopt, it's automatic and there is really no need to check the overlay a whole lot. But if you fly in windowed mode, but set to your screens native res, you can see the Overlay and whos talking and what channel etc.

I will ask Ciribob to make actual assignable button for each channel, they the Overlay is really not all that necessary.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

very cool! I unashamedly confess this is asking for the hand when getting a finger, but, any chance the nick of the person speaking will or can be displayed? ie similar to player chat or technochat messages? reason for asking is that AFAIK there is no overlay style solution for VR (eg TS3 works in pancake mode with such an overlay but not VR). 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

I would just leave SRS on and minimized, set up your button/key binds and go fly in MP. If the server has SRS, which I think most will adopt, it's automatic and there is really no need to check the overlay a whole lot. But if you fly in windowed mode, but set to your screens native res, you can see the Overlay and whos talking and what channel etc.

I will ask Ciribob to make actual assignable button for each channel, they the Overlay is really not all that necessary.

Jason

Please consider addIng key binding option to “Plane Controls” settings for radio channels in future.

Please consider adding multi-SRS-server preprogramming (ie Squad SRS, CombatBox SRS, etc) in future. <<DONE Called “Favorites”

Edited by 352ndOscar
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, DD_Llama_Thumper said:

very cool! I unashamedly confess this is asking for the hand when getting a finger, but, any chance the nick of the person speaking will or can be displayed? ie similar to player chat or technochat messages? reason for asking is that AFAIK there is no overlay style solution for VR (eg TS3 works in pancake mode with such an overlay but not VR). 

For the radio, the name of the transmitter will be displayed if it's enabled on the client and server (it is by default) 👍

For the intercom it won't but generally it'll just be people you know in the aircraft or people on spectator

Edited by ciribob
  • Like 1

Woohoo😀 we've been talking about this for so long. This is what will help grow our multiplayer base. Can't wait to try it. Not having to mess about with discord or teamspeak.

• Upvote 2

Client app must be executed with administrative privileges if you copied files into the program files or other folder with specific permissions.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder who's server will be the first to use it?

Edited by 71st_AH_Hooves

36 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Hooves said:

I wonder who's server will be the first to use it?

I claim the DangerDogz one ... :)

Hm, every one connected shows up as 'IL2-SRS-Player' ... how can we name our pIL2ots?

image.png.a76d7fd5be500d907ae732e6c2136412.png

• Like 1

No worries, got it: Once in game, and connected to the server, in cockpit ... it does show who we are:

image.png.6a94ae7e3f219ff189222a80c0e96dee.png

Yeah, talking to myself again, oh well... :)

Cool stuff this! Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Unprofessionals is up and running, would have been earlier but I was asleep :P

• Haha 2

So I'm trying to set this up on my test server. I can connect to it, but no one else can. I think I have set up the port forwarding and the firewall stuff up correctly. Has anyone else successfully set it up?

31 minutes ago, =SqSq=Civilprotection said:

So I'm trying to set this up on my test server. I can connect to it, but no one else can. I think I have set up the port forwarding and the firewall stuff up correctly. Has anyone else successfully set it up?

Yes.