Installation and Usage of SRS for IL-2 (Voice Comms App)

Jason_Williams

J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr

I have not really used it yet - I'm coming so far that I know it's working - "push to talk" and so on .....but'eeeeh .......

Could it be possible to see it in VR glasses too ?????

• Like 1

[APAF]VR_Spartan85

happy to see SRS implemented!   I havent had time to  get a flight too long online but it was great hearing people use it!            I like that server briefing displays what each channel is used for.  very simple :)           only thing which i hope comes out soon is an overlay indication of which channel is selected, even just a little icon with "R x" number and how many on the channel would be enough.

Thank you devs!

• Like 1

=AGW=Master

This is great news. I was just lamenting recently about how I wished IL-2 had a form of SRS that worked. I also understand the ease of use vs realism but I do hope this becomes popular enough that some of the better features get programmed into IL-2.

I do hope one day we have a full feature set equivalent to what is in DCS. I'd love a radio popup, similar to the bomb sight display, that shows in game tunable radios that output to SRS. Or even just some key commands that display your radio channel and set it. Warbirds, aces high and wwiionline had a great set of chat commands to do things like this. .radio channelfreq.

216th_Jordan

Is the intercom mode with Coalition Security on in the mission planning screen restricting coms to players from the other team that are also in the planning screen? The client list just shows white dots for both teams and it's not clear to me.

17 hours ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

happy to see SRS implemented!   I havent had time to  get a flight too long online but it was great hearing people use it!            I like that server briefing displays what each channel is used for.  very simple :)           only thing which i hope comes out soon is an overlay indication of which channel is selected, even just a little icon with "R x" number and how many on the channel would be enough.

Thank you devs!

?? I thought the existing overlay shows just that! :)

35 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Is the intercom mode with Coalition Security on in the mission planning screen restricting coms to players from the other team that are also in the planning screen? The client list just shows white dots for both teams and it's not clear to me.

Until you select a side and aircraft / vehicle you have no coalition , hence the white dot and hearing everyone else with the white dot on intercom

Basically you're in a shared lobby on intercom until you're properly in game

• Upvote 1

216th_Jordan
5 minutes ago, ciribob said:

Until you select a side and aircraft / vehicle you have no coalition , hence the white dot and hearing everyone else with the white dot on intercom

Basically you're in a shared lobby on intercom until you're properly in game

Thanks! Actually ingame once a coalition is selected (by clicking airfield or tank spawn) additional coalition info (such as attacks on airfields, players, etc) is displayed and changing coalition by clicking opposite fields has a large time-block penalty (no spawn for xx minutes) on most servers. (Some servers even allow no switching and will kick manually)

Now after finishing a mission a player finds himself in the specific coalition mission planning screen again where teamchat is also possible. So I thought it would be great if missions might be coordinated beforehand in the planning screen with SRS with the coalition only.

53 minutes ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

?? I thought the existing overlay shows just that! :)

Unfortunately does not work if you are playing in fullscreen mode or VR. Flatscreener peasants like me can just alt tab quick to check though. Harder to do in VR.

16 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Unfortunately does not work if you are playing in fullscreen mode or VR. Flatscreener peasants like me can just alt tab quick to check though. Harder to do in VR.

I had the same problem - I'm a peasant too. I unchecked fullscreen mode and everything works fine. So there is no culprit with this, if you ask me.

"Fullscreen, or not fullscreen - that is the question" - this subject is anyway some kind of schizophrenic. Once it is said to be good only fullscreen, the next update
others share the opinion not to use fullscreen. Anyhow, I don't see any performance difference fullscreen on or off.

47 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Thanks! Actually ingame once a coalition is selected (by clicking airfield or tank spawn) additional coalition info (such as attacks on airfields, players, etc) is displayed and changing coalition by clicking opposite fields has a large time-block penalty (no spawn for xx minutes) on most servers. (Some servers even allow no switching and will kick manually)

Now after finishing a mission a player finds himself in the specific coalition mission planning screen again where teamchat is also possible. So I thought it would be great if missions might be coordinated beforehand in the planning screen with SRS with the coalition only.

Right, understood! Thanks.

Currently I just get the coalition info sent to me when you join a aircraft or tank

When you're outside a vehicle or aircraft even if I had coalition before, you'll be marked as a spectator and neutral

You'd have to plan sitting on a vehicle unfortunately

Edited by ciribob

On 7/11/2020 at 4:10 PM, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

Just tried SRS on Combat Box for the first time and its great!

One thing I don't quite get, are the 5 channels for 5 squads flying together, or is there some different logic like 1 - Tactical, 2 - Tower, etc...

Would be great if someone could help me figure this out!

On 7/11/2020 at 5:23 PM, Oliver88 said:

Dare say how the channels are intended to be used is up to the server operator. I do not think the combat box admins have decided upon or informed us yet whether we are to use theirs in any particular manner?

i wwould just continue on as you are unless you see something stated in mission briefings or from the servers admins themselves (whether in person, on forums or discords).

We're experimenting, and we might change this, but on Combat Box we have channel 1 for airfield ops / general coordination, then channels 2 - 5 as geographically segmented operations for strike / CAP. I've put this into all the mission briefings and we have a text message on the server advertising it. There's another thread alongside this one discussing it a bit.

We've already had feedback that splitting cap / strike seems weird and I agree. Ideally it would be nice to be "on" one channel and to "monitor" another, so you could be on the bomber channel and hear fighter chatter. Let's see how it goes.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

We've already had feedback that splitting cap / strike seems weird and I agree. Ideally it would be nice to be "on" one channel and to "monitor" another, so you could be on the bomber channel and hear fighter chatter. Let's see how it goes.

In this post, WIS-Redcoat suggested combining strike and CAP for both regions and then having two open channels (4 and 5). I suggested moving the open channels to 3 and 5 so that if the a combined channel got busy, either strike or CAP could move to the open channel close by (i.e., 2 to 3 or 4 to 5).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, =o=THERION said:

I had the same problem - I'm a peasant too. I unchecked fullscreen mode and everything works fine. So there is no culprit with this, if you ask me.

"Fullscreen, or not fullscreen - that is the question" - this subject is anyway some kind of schizophrenic. Once it is said to be good only fullscreen, the next update
others share the opinion not to use fullscreen. Anyhow, I don't see any performance difference fullscreen on or off.

I will try the game not on fullscreen so I can have the overlay, it seems useful.

9 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I will try the game not on fullscreen so I can have the overlay, it seems useful.

It is very useful, you can even change the size of the overlay (do this before lauching the game though). I mapped 4 buttons for the overlay:

- Open/close the overlay

- Select radio

- Select intercom

- Channel up - you actually don't need to waist a button for channel down, as channel up works like a cycle button.

The overlay shows you the channels used by others and depending on the SRS settings of the MP server, you can even see who's talking,

the user's name is displayed, which also helps to avoid confusions.

All in all a very handy tool and far less complicated than TS or Discord, if you ask me. And closer to historical radio possibilities of that time.

• Upvote 2

For VR - an idea i've been toying with is Text to Speech - would that be of interest? You'd be able to turn on and off in settings and it would be opt in

I.e Hit "Select Radio" keybind and you'll get a voice over saying "Selected Radio"

Channel up

Channel down etc

The release with the binds for hotkeys for channel 1,2,3,4,5 is planned for next week assuming the work on my flat is complete. 

I've also launched a Patreon (but wont link here - its on the Discord and SRS Client) if you want to support my development 👍

Edited by ciribob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

IRRE_Axurit

The idea of voice messages to indicate the state of the radio is interesting but I fear that on frequent changes, messages repeated many times may become annoying.

The ideal for VR remains the discreet overlay in a small area of the screen to know the activity and who speaks on the channel.
But it is not possible at the moment?

Glad you are creating keys for the channels, do you think that would be possible for the volume?

This feature is really great and adds a lot to the multiplayer of IL2, and the radio effects are very immersive.

Really good job !!!

8 hours ago, -IRRE-Axurit said:

The idea of voice messages to indicate the state of the radio is interesting but I fear that on frequent changes, messages repeated many times may become annoying.

The ideal for VR remains the discreet overlay in a small area of the screen to know the activity and who speaks on the channel.
But it is not possible at the moment?

If you're using Oculus, you can drag the overlay window into your VR space. If you're using SteamVR, you can pay $12 for a program called OvrDrop that does the same.

Personally I would appreciate the text-to-speech. If it's an option, people can enable it if they want. And it would be nice if someone flipping channels rapidly didn't cause lots of repeated robot voices. Maybe kill any 'playing' TTS when a new one comes in?

• Like 1

Kampfpilot_JG3

SRS installation 3 zips 

Is it the first zip only that you place in a folder in the game file ? i dont have the second option in my game such as shake etc . or is it the first and third zip combined into one folder ?

Edited by dog1

RNAS10_Oliver
6 hours ago, dog1 said:

SRS installation 3 zips 

Is it the first zip only that you place in a folder in the game file ? i dont have the second option in my game such as shake etc . or is it the first and third zip combined into one folder ?

I was going to say what are you on earth are you on about. But I see your confusion now. It's just IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone on the download page that you need. As the other two on there are just for the source code. And as per Jasons instructions "unzip contents of the SRS archive to any folder you wish" as does not need to be in any of your games folders.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Thanks 1

Kampfpilot_JG3

Oliver88

This is what i get when i open the zip ,when i try to install the 2 exe i get the message cannot . what should i do ? where is the app ? does the app appear on desk top after 1 install the exe? which is the install exe  i see 2 in the folder ?

2. Run the IL2-SRS-Client.exe and keep it running in the background any time you launch IL-2. You can of course minimize the app.

7-16-2020 5-51-44 PM.jpg

Edited by dog1

RNAS10_Oliver
1 hour ago, dog1 said:

Oliver88

This is what i get when i open the zip ,when i try to install the 2 exe i get the message cannot . what should i do ? where is the app ?

2. Run the IL2-SRS-Client.exe and keep it running in the background any time you launch IL-2. You can of course minimize the app.

7-16-2020 5-51-44 PM.jpg

Strange that your computer leaves copy of the original zip inside the extracted files? Just ignore the zip or delete. Everything else there appears correct compared to mine;

image.png.62d23f9f4ca0eeae6c6437a075157fb4.png

And Jason slightly mis-named the application in the instructions. But it remains fairly obvious what to run. The client application. Not the server application. Rather than IL2-SRS-Client the file you want to run is named IL2-SRS-ClientRadio.

Also when you say you get "the message cannot". What it is the message? Screenshot.

Once unzipped you have already done the installation.

Edited by Oliver88

Thaddeus_Darwin

Just throwing this out there in relation to some of the comments above about whether this is a good idea or not.

As a 'returner' to the world of Il-2, I have very little in the way of companionship in the skies - I know this will change and probably very quickly (and once there is a small band of us together - I'm sure an alternative method of communication may well be used...) - but to have a tool like this available so I can join in on the fly with others using SRS, it's massively advantageous getting to meet random new people...!

I know there are Discords out there I can join that are all set up beautifully and cater for everyone - Honestly, I'm a bit shy and possibly a bit socially awkward and I find joining a ready made group kind of difficult at the best of times - so this is ideal for me, personally...

At the end of the day - you'll either use it or not - I just like that it's there...!

Thanks, @ciribob - much appreciated...! :salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kampfpilot_JG3

Oliver 88

here is the message i get , can i see the desktop app you get  pls .

7-16-2020 8-24-32 PM.jpg

Edited by dog1

12 minutes ago, dog1 said:

i also get this message

2.jpg

Have you tried moving it to another folder? Looks like it does not like it being on the desktop or something.

1stCL/rudidlo

@dog1 I put extracted folder into Program Files Folder, but I had to launch app under administrative privileges, because it is creating some files there.
@ciribobAre you planning moving settings into %CommonData% folder and installer instead of *.zip file?

• Upvote 1

Kampfpilot_JG3

1st CL Rudidlo

Yes this works as per image ,  do i make a short cut to desk top as APP for start up? 44.jpg

Edited by dog1

56RAF_Stickz

Dog1 have you already done this

Edit data/startup.cfg  in the game directory - add the lines below at the bottom (without the game running):

[KEY = telemetrydevice]

addr = "127.0.0.1"

decimation = 2

enable = true

port = 4322

[END]

Mine runs from win7 so next may not be relevant to you: you may need to run it with admin privaledges particularly if you run from system drive program files as rudidlo states. I run from a completely different drive and location and works fine without - but that maybe due to my win7 and install

to run it just create a short cut to the client exe file and put it on your desktop

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz
addedcinfo
  • Upvote 1

Kampfpilot_JG3

Stickz

no have'nt done that but its noted , only now i am getting it to install thanks to Rudidlo comments . i will do the edit now . yes i guessed the short cut is the APP . where do i get the channel from when i'm in game ? and how do i make the APP pop up in game for adjustments and input ? 

56RAF_Stickz

You need to set up keys, PTT, radio1(misleading name it actually selects the radio for Tx but can be enablerd as as PTT as well), intercomm, channels up/down. Then for settings there is an auto connect which (CB and finnish do) will then connect automatically if server allows it when you connect game to a server.

When in game - it will require you to use intercom to talk until you select a side. Then the ptt or radio1 (if you have enabled that to double as a ptt) to talk on the channel set (defaults to channel 1). You will only have comm to your own side and those on channel 1 unless you change channels.

I believe CB have a description in the mission briefing for channel use (or on their discord but I do not use discord).

After that the intercomm will do nothing (unless have a multi crewman with you ie gunner or in a tank) until you land and de spawn

dog1

to make it popup in game I believe there is a key setting to display UI. Then you can resize it and place where you want. I only use the ui for monitor purpposes. However have heard people having issues with it not giving focus back to game or vice versa. There is another setting to allow focus to auto return to game but do not know how effective it is. And as far as I understand the UI will not appear in VR (I dont have VR so cant help there)

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz
forgot info

20 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

You need to set up keys, PTT, radio1(misleading name it actually selects the radio for Tx but can be enablerd as as PTT as well), intercomm, channels up/down. Then for settings there is an auto connect which (CB and finnish do) will then connect automatically if server allows it when you connect game to a server.

When in game - it will require you to use intercom to talk until you select a side. Then the ptt or radio1 (if you have enabled that to double as a ptt) to talk on the channel set (defaults to channel 1). You will only have comm to your own side and those on channel 1 unless you change channels.

I believe CB have a description in the mission briefing for channel use (or on their discord but I do not use discord).

After that the intercomm will do nothing (unless have a multi crewman with you ie gunner or in a tank) until you land and de spawn

dog1

to make it popup in game I believe there is a key setting to display UI. Then you can resize it and place where you want. I only use the ui for monitor purpposes. However have heard people having issues with it not giving focus back to game or vice versa. There is another setting to allow focus to auto return to game but do not know how effective it is. And as far as I understand the UI will not appear in VR (I dont have VR so cant help there)

Worth noting is that the overlay only works if you run Il-2 in windowed mode, not full screen.

1stCL/rudidlo
1 hour ago, dog1 said:

1st CL Rudidlo

Yes this works as per image ,  do i make a short cut to desk top as APP for start up? 44.jpg

Hi @dog1,

In the folder where you have unzipped application files, make right mouse button click on IL2 SR-ClientRadio.exe,  choose Properties, there Advanced button and check "Run as an Administrator". Confirm the changes and you can make a shortcut on desktop.
Capture.thumb.PNG.6a8f414d3499b3e1a21c4c66282c6077.PNG
Then follow instructions from the first comment in this thread or @RedKestrel or @56RAF_Stickz.

Edited by 1stCL/rudidlo

Kampfpilot_JG3

sticks

questions:

1) What do the following mean PTT and UI

2) Do i need the SRS grey panel to chose channel to pop up in game or not ?

3) when entering the server and mission it says it starts with channel 1 , then how do you access the grey panel to chose the  comms channel number for your side ?

4) How are the players using full screen accessing the SRS table to insert the channel when the game is running ? or are they all using windowed mode ?

5) Since its not part of the game how do you designate a key  externally in the keyboard ?  

7-17-2020 8-10-44 AM.jpg

Edited by dog1

15 hours ago, dog1 said:

sticks

questions:

3) when entering the server and mission it says it starts with channel 1 , then how do you access the grey panel to chose the  comms channel number for your side ?

4) How are the players using full screen accessing the SRS table to insert the channel when the game is running ? or are they all using windowed mode ?

5) Since its not part of the game how do you designate a key  externally in the keyboard ?  

5) Look at this post: 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/63326-installation-and-usage-of-srs-for-il-2-voice-comms-app/?do=findComment&comment=970897

• Upvote 1

56RAF_Stickz
18 hours ago, dog1 said:

ticks

questions:

dog1 sorry didnt see this - had gone to bed, in case sokol1 link doesnt help you enough but it does cover almost all.

1.  PTT is press to transmit. UI means universal interface, but in this case I was using it to refer to in game panel - the SRS grey box in your image with Not Connected written.

2.  No you dont have to use the grey SRS panel, although if it has focus it is possible to click a specific 1-5 box to select a channel. However you can also use the controls you setup to step channel back/forward (or channel up/down however you refer to them). The selected channel will be illuminated (this is how I have used it).

3. See answer for 2 - use the step up/down control setup under controls panel.

4. Dont know how others do it, can use the panel directly as answered in 2) but need non windowed mode or you can use the keys you set in either mode directly

5. Go into start panel (white one in your display). Use controls panel -  set up keys there. There are two keys for each a modifier (for shift/alt/cntrl etc) and then the key to be used. Press "set" then the control to be used. Make sure you dont set anything that clashes with in game keys or (trackir or any other controllers you use). You can only use one modifier (unlike game) for each selection. Soon the up.down keys will be supplememnted with individual channel select keys (ie 1to 5) - but will mean another 5 keys to be enabled.

• Thanks 1

Kampfpilot_JG3

SOKOL   STICKS

When selecting a channel while in game how do you see the number selected 1-5 since its radio channel up and down on my keyboard setting as per link ?

that link above to Faerbers explanation as  to how to manage the interface basics is essential . much appreciated . now to make use off it .

Edited by dog1

13 hours ago, dog1 said:

When selecting a channel while in game how do you see the number selected 1-5 since its radio channel up and down on my keyboard setting as per link ?

For this you use the key (or joystick button) set for (SR) "Overlay Toggle", but see the exceptions:

NOTE: The overlay does not appear in Full-Screen mode or in VR. 

SRS.1.png

In the above example the guy don't use key/joy button for Push to Talk -PTT, because he set the "Radio channel" and "Intercom Select" as PTT, so use the same key/joy button for the two functions, select the channel and PTT, reducing the key usage.

For this in "PROFILE SETTINGS", enable: "Radio Switch work as Push to Talk (PTT). 

Then, for example, you want talk in Intercom, so just press and hold the key/joy button set for this, SR change for Intercom open the mic. Same for other channels.*

Of course, if want can use separated key/button for select channels and PTT, setting the above inverse.

Now if you want click with mouse in (SR) overlay interface channel button #, need use Alt+Tab (not much practical "in action").

Edited by Sokol1

Kampfpilot_JG3

sokol 1

questions :

1) How do you know which channel you are on 1-5 if nothing is displayed ?

2) sequence to activate SRS , start SRS  , start game ,  push button joystick selected for radio 1 ,  push channel up or down to connect with others on same channel . pls correct   

Edited by dog1

ITAF_Airone1989
15 minutes ago, dog1 said:

sokol 1

questions :

1) How do you know which channel you are on 1-5 if nothing is displayed ?

2) sequence to activate SRS , start SRS  , start game ,  push button joystick selected for radio 1 ,  push channel up or down to connect with others on same channel . pls correct   

1) you can see it in the overlay: the first green number that you see it's your current channel. (The second is the number of player connected to that channel)

2) correct!

Kampfpilot_JG3

i dont play in windowed mode so that means i must go by trial and error , just select and say something , if no reply select next channel and so on , right ?