ICDP

P-51D Mustang 4K Skins

1 hour ago, spudkopf said:

Seeing that I'd already started working on a standard (if there is any such thing) RAF camo, which have I based on that used in the game default RAF, I decided to finish it off before starting the so called firewall scheme which is what CV-W is is supposed to be actually wareing. I chose to keep going as I plan to do the KH677 version of CV-P as well. Which by the way I'll be uploading an updated version KH716 with some more historical corrections soon

I've been noticing that with Mustangs there doesnt seem to be a standard camo. Patterns appear to be all over the place.

12 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

am p’anning to skin Salvatore Grentile’s Shang ri-La not Kidd Hofer

Ripper, it's up to you of course. You're the skinner. But you are aware that the picture you showed is not historically correct, right? Gentile's Shangri-La was an olive drab painted B model. He wrecked it showing off for the cameras after completing his tour. The plane was destroyed. I don't know how he survived. He never flew the D in combat, but he did fly one while doing war bond tours in the states. They painted the Shangri-La motif on the Mustang for him. That airplane did not wear invasion stripes, however. 

Okay...I found this. That, of course, is Don back in the States. 

shangri la.jpg

7 hours ago, Megalax said:

The joy of lining up camo...

qY0ZbiA.jpg

Almost looks like my favorite RCAF P51

1071152-large.jpg

4820859595_d4670c60e4.jpg

bfc9f3b449d2b2e2703b81676e373f2a.jpg

• Like 1

@Poochnboo Thé P-47’s I painted were not historically accurate simply because the 4thFG never flew D models but I still skinned Boisee Bee which I also plan to skin as a Mustang D model even though Duane Beeson only flew the B model if I recall.

Reworked CV-P, KH716 to make it more historical and to bring it closer to what is seen in pictures, this involved tweaking the code letters to better reflect the correct shape, fixing of the spinner so that now only the Hub cap is painted and further moving of the serials a tad as well.

KH716.thumb.jpg.884bdb99ec15f65aa561d1b965fa29a0.jpg

KH716

I've also created CV-P in the guise of KH677, using a cam pattern loosely based on that of the game RAF default.

602964756_RAAFCVPKH677V2.thumb.jpg.5917b97daa989151a44af94e633963d4.jpg

KH677 (Updated 17:14 Au time, sorry but what can I say, other than I'm a born tweaker)

Enjoy

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

Thé P-47’s I painted were not historically accurate simply because the 4thFG never flew D models but I still skinned Boisee Bee which I also plan to skin as a Mustang D model even though Duane Beeson only flew the B model if I recall.

Yeah, Beeson was shot down in his B model Mustang in April of '44, and taken prisoner. But, just to clarify. The 4TH did fly D model Thunderbolts. I think, like many, that you're under the mistaken belief that all of the D's were bubble topped Jugs. The P47D-1 through D-24 were all razorback P-47's. They began replacing the old C's in the middle of 1943. The Jug got it's bubble canopy starting with the D-25 which began reaching squadrons in the Spring of '44.

Edited by Poochnboo

5 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@Poochnboo Thé P-47’s I painted were not historically accurate simply because the 4thFG never flew D models but I still skinned Boisee Bee which I also plan to skin as a Mustang D model even though Duane Beeson only flew the B model if I recall.

Yes that is what I meant to say, they did not fly the bubble canopies. I’ve been using this site as a reference amongst others.http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/4th-fighter-group/

**Apologies, if you downloaded these, there was an error in both. Please redownload and discard the old version.**

FUXqaav.jpg

RCAF Y2-C KH661 HERE

z7KqgFV.jpg

RCAF Y2-B KH680 HERE

Edited by Megalax
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Megalax said:

FUXqaav.jpg

RCAF Y2-C KH661 HERE

z7KqgFV.jpg

RCAF Y2-B KH680 HERE

Wow...I was waiting for this..even though you forgot the Maple leaf on the tail, I love it,..thank you!! Wait...are there 2 here?? Great job!!

Edited by onlyforbrian
more info

So for anyone else wondering where the port and starboard wing tip navigation light fitting texture is, it here (see below) between the gear led door covers, with the top to the left and the bottom to the right.

1709285054_p51navligt.thumb.JPG.341704a75954d501ca7a1e5661ffd1b8.JPG 

I've upload a fixed version of my current RAAFstang KH677, this will also has a slightly refined cam pattern on the port wing and also on the nose forward of the firewall.

367191519_RAAFCVPKH677V2a.thumb.jpg.1791130d1a541fd4344b9d5cfe71f2ee.jpg

602964756_RAAFCVPKH677V2.thumb.jpg.5917b97daa989151a44af94e633963d4.jpg

Of course as the one mesh services both lights, you will need to make sure the same colour terminates at the same point on the wing tip I had to extend the cam on the starboard wind a tad as you can see below:

1633353168_p51navligt2.JPG.19bb14e5ea4281184284419bbba037aa.JPG1938658308_p51navligt3.JPG.dc5c4429105ee56c94a70ac9220821e8.JPG

Edited by spudkopf

Here is a Korean war flavor, I know wrong war.  Done in stock template finish and polished metal:

Shark1 final.jpg

Shark1 final_1.jpg

Shark2 final.jpg

Shark2 final_1.jpg

sharkmouth1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

you forgot the Maple leaf on the tail

They didnt all have one.

47266039121_52413d771b_o.jpg&key=c86801e

mustang-05_sm.jpg

mustang-442-sqn_2.jpg

mustang-03_sm.jpg

Edited by Megalax

On 10/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, Megalax said:

The joy of lining up camo...

qY0ZbiA.jpg

One tip if you're not already doing it is to turn the wire mesh layer on. I find it helps me line things up pretty well and then I just fine tune.

1 hour ago, Megalax said:

They didnt all have one.

47266039121_52413d771b_o.jpg&key=c86801e

mustang-05_sm.jpg

mustang-442-sqn_2.jpg

mustang-03_sm.jpg

Post War maybe? I dunno.. Johnny Johnson had the same maple leaf on his Spitfire

1071152-large.jpg

Edited by onlyforbrian
more info

44 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

Post War maybe? I dunno.. Johnny Johnson had the same maple leaf on his Spitfire

mustang-442-sqn_1.jpg

Y2-C had it. Its on the skin. Y2-B didnt have one though.

Any ETA on the full official template plate making it's presence known? 

10 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

Any ETA on the full official template plate making it's presence known? 

What do you mean dog the template has been out now over over two weeks in the Official Template thread, also recently for the Tempest and  P-38

Edited by BSS_Ripper*

Seeing that ICDP released an OD and paint chip layers for the P51D template, I decided to see how OD green looked on KH677 along with the extra ware and tare of paint chips, IMO I liked it and may even prefer the OD green, which may have actually been the green applied by NAA, so decided to also make it available here, I'll leave it up to you can to make up your mind which is better.

1485156171_KH677OD.thumb.jpg.bf4e156c3bbb75c418325d448d2b68dc.jpg

RAAF 3 Sq CVP KH677 OD green (V3)

Enjoy

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 2

@spudkopf The ICDP template I found in the Official template listing is the same one without OD all over. Where did you find it? I made my own for Frenesi

Edited by BSS_Ripper*

I feel embarrassed to not know the answer to this question, but does anyone know how to use the default alpha channel provided with the P-51 template? I know how to make my own alpha channel, and add the alpha layer mask, but I can't figure out how to use the one provided.

Edited by Siqhter
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Siqhter said:

I feel embarrassed to not know the answer to this question, but does anyone know how to use the default alpha channel provided with the P-51 template? I know how to make my own alpha channel, and add the alpha layer mask, but I can't figure out how to use the one provided.

Yes sir, I imagine you would like a clean Alpha right. Well this is what you do good sir.

FIRST

1. Open P-51D_Alpha+4K_Public AND the actual Template toghether
  2. Turn off all markings and stencils (i.e. roundels, service markings)
  3. Leave the 'Colors', 'Weathering', Panel Lines' and 'Shadows on.
  4. Flatten the image DO NOT SAVE, DO NOT SAVE!!!
  5. Now Ctrl + Click the layer preview icon (little picture), you will see marching ants after that.
  6. Now press 'V'
  7. Hoover over the image and press Ctrl + C

NEXT

1. Click on Window > Arrange > Two-Side Side
  2. Go to the 'Channels' tab
  3. Delete the current Alpha Layer
  4. Create a new Alpha
  5. Click Shift + Ctrl + V
  6. Profit!
Edited by 361st_SPEKTRE76
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@spudkopf The ICDP template I found in the Official template listing is the same one without OD all over. Where did you find it? I made my own for Frenesi

G'day Ripper

It's here!

He mentioned uploading a chipped layer in for his P38J Calafornian Cutie skin thread, as a bonus he also uploaded the OD plus Chips for the P51D, oh by the way many thanks ICDP for both!

Spud

5 hours ago, 361st_SPEKTRE76 said:

NEXT

1. Click on Window > Arrange > Two-Side Side
  2. Go to the 'Channels' tab
  3. Delete the current Alpha Layer
  4. Create a new Alpha
  5. Click Shift + Ctrl + V
  6. Profit!

Alternatively in both CS6 and CC you can just make a copy of the existing Alpha1 layer, then paste directly into the original, for me it always centres the new art within the original, and replaces it, there's no need to do anything else as it automatically merges.

I tend to keep multiple renamed Alphas in the template (ie for swapping between different plane codes sets, etc). I just make sure there is only one Alpha layer called Alpha1 and that it is on top of all other Alpha layers.

When saving out PP will prompt you that it has found multiple Alphas and that will use Alpha1, which you just OK too. Used to do it the proper way as you've listed deleting and such, but this method saves me quite a bit of time and some of the additional effort is all I have to do is rename the alpha i want to use and then move it back to the top. 

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

361st_SPEKTRE76 and spudkopf

Colleagues, I could use an instructional video on both of these methods because I have a problem with preparing the alpha channel in this way.

I was able to make the "Alpha" channel using the method described by SPEKTRE76 but I still don't know how to change the gloss level or matting on individual parts of the aircraft on such a prepared channel.

Edited by 8ELT_Grzesiek
  • Like 1

SPEKTRE76 and spudkopf,

Thanks very much for your detailed answers. I really appreciate it!

Edited by Siqhter

3 hours ago, 8ELT_Grzesiek said:

361st_SPEKTRE76 and spudkopf

Colleagues, I could use an instructional video on both of these methods because I have a problem with preparing the alpha channel in this way.

I was able to make the "Alpha" channel using the method described by SPEKTRE76 but I still don't know how to change the gloss level or matting on individual parts of the aircraft on such a prepared channel.

I'll make one right now =o)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Video is still post processing so 4KHD 60fps wont be available for a while:

4K 2160p is now processed @60fps.

Edited by 361st_SPEKTRE76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

You young guys are so smart with this stuff, but I guess you grew up with it. I'm 73 so we never had computer classes in school, may as well be chinese to me. I'm happy just being able to find my skins folders lol. Well done. I'm glad we have guys like you doing the skins for us. 👍😎

15 hours ago, 8ELT_Grzesiek said:

but I still don't know how to change the gloss level or matting on individual parts of the aircraft on such a prepared channel.

Don´t despair @8ELT_Grzesiek 

There is a very helpful thread by @6./ZG26_5tuka discribing how to modify the alpha channel in order to get the result you want to.

It´s here: 

Cheers!🍻

• Like 1

Playing around with the OD & scratches layers and decided to make myself a fictitious / historical personal skin. Just thought I'd show it here.

MissCheef.thumb.jpg.bc596caa0d424b8f9ecff4d96820aca8.jpg

MissChee2f.thumb.jpg.b51970b43b047b9d472737ae3e3fe3f8.jpg

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, 361st_SPEKTRE76 said:

Video is still post processing so 4KHD 60fps wont be available for a while:

4K 2160p is now processed @60fps.

Just a note. You are probably way more proficient with PS than me but the quickest way to deselect is Ctl-D.  I have never seen anyone use that 'Minus' method .   Even going to the 'Select' tab and selecting 'deselect' is faster. 😁   I do use the 'minus' sometimes to remove unwanted parts of the selection.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

You young guys are so smart with this stuff, but I guess you grew up with it. I'm 73 so we never had computer classes in school, may as well be chinese to me. I'm happy just being able to find my skins folders lol. Well done. I'm glad we have guys like you doing the skins for us. 👍😎

@onlyforbrianI only started skinning this year for my civilian simulator X-Plane. I started with Dos in the late 80’s and bought a Macintosh Classic in 1991 during university. I am not a full fledged computer nerd but still managed to build my first hackintosh two years ago so I run both Windows for my. Sims and OSX for everything else. Prior to that I had stopped flight simulation for a decade and used my 2008 MacPro for close to a decade. 

If you have the patience and motivation you can learn anything! Painting aircraft has been overall a relaxing experience for me when I have time for it between work and family. I am in my early 50’s. Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@onlyforbrianI only started skinning this year for my civilian simulator X-Plane. I started with Dos in the late 80’s and bought a Macintosh Classic in 1991 during university. I am not a full fledged computer nerd but still managed to build my first hackintosh two years ago so I run both Windows for my. Sims and OSX for everything else. Prior to that I had stopped flight simulation for a decade and used my 2008 MacPro for close to a decade. 

If you have the patience and motivation you can learn anything! Painting aircraft has been overall a relaxing experience for me when I have time for it between work and family. I am in my early 50’s. Cheers

Great job... I have a Gazillion dollars tied up in X-Plane too.. for X-plane and IL2 Bos, I have an Odyssey+ WMR for VR... now I'm waiting on MSF 2020, I suppose you are too, but presently I'm getting the most enjoyment out of IL2, loving all the P51 skins. I'm just waiting for those skins to run the course so you guys can get going on P38 skins , lots out there. I guess the biggest thing is the nose art.. no time to do an in depth search but here's a couple samples.

221214645f8c49f0612d48065e07bab9.png

p-38-nose-art-michael-madrid.jpg

• Like 1

@onlyforbrian I do not possess the talent to recreate noseart. The best I can do is find the highest resolution  photo possible and photoshop it like I did for the P-47 skin Boisee Bee from this image https://amcmuseum.org/collections/4th-fighter-group-boise-bee-nose-art/

I have adopted that Nose Art for all my non historic personal skins. Here is how it looks on the P-47. That pic below is low resolution but in the game it looks great.

3EACAC15-544B-4B76-A7C7-D78C5B064683.jpeg

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ROCKET_KNUT said:

Don´t despair @8ELT_Grzesiek 

There is a very helpful thread by @6./ZG26_5tuka discribing how to modify the alpha channel in order to get the result you want to.

It´s here: 

Cheers!🍻

Thanks for words of encouragement ROCKET_KNUT ;)
Generally, I am dealing with the alpha channel but not in the way I can see it in others. I noticed that some work on the original alpha channel contained in the template in the same way as me and it is correct but it is working on each layer separately so the method is laborious and besides, after applying the appropriate shade of gray on the alpha channel, lines of plating, rivets etc. are painted . and this is not the end I like it and that's it. Maybe these are cosmetic things that do not affect the final effect of the skin but I would like to start doing it differently.

Edited by 8ELT_Grzesiek

@361st_SPEKTRE76 Makes perfect sense now. I use Gimp, but everything looks quite similar and the video made it perfectly simple to understand. Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Siqhter said:

@361st_SPEKTRE76 Makes perfect sense now. I use Gimp, but everything looks quite similar and the video made it perfectly simple to understand. Thanks again!

Thank you, I also do racecars for iRacing and Assetto Corsa. This is my personal Ford GT GTE.

3.thumb.jpg.b85d615d6c3c6f55f99511a7c9e16a29.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

I am in my late 50s and make my own skins (Ok, I amend ICDPS skins and occasionally bodge someone else's skin to get the bits I need 🙂 )   To be fair,  I have probably been using Photoshop for about 25 years though.  It is easier to maintain/build on existing knowledge than learn something from scratch.

I would publish skins for other people to use (most are unhistoric  just for squad use)  but it seems whenever I see a nice skin to build someone has already done it or beats me to it thus wasting my effort.  The problem is that we all see the same pictures on the web or in books 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am in my late 50s and make my own skins (Ok, I amend ICDPS skins and occasionally bodge someone else's skin to get the bits I need 🙂 )   To be fair,  I have probably been using Photoshop for about 25 years though.  It is easier to maintain/build on existing knowledge than learn something from scratch.

I would publish skins for other people to use (most are unhistoric  just for squad use)  but it seems whenever I see a nice skin to build someone has already done it or beats me to it thus wasting my effort.  The problem is that we all see the same pictures on the web or in books 🙂

I asked @Bearcat if he could pin an incoming skin thread that all skinners and requestors could post and then simply post the finished product on a Pinned thread per airplane type, but that idea has not gained any traction. I spent a lot of time on Fresnesi, but if someone else releases another one  now, I won't care, but had someone released it just days before mine, I'd be quite upset

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

I asked @Bearcat if he could pin an incoming skin thread that all skinners and requestors could post and then simply post the finished product on a Pinned thread per airplane type, but that idea has not gained any traction. I spent a lot of time on Fresnesi, but if someone else releases another one  now, I won't care, but had someone released it just days before mine, I'd be quite upset

I'd personally like to see a skin store where we can sort by faction, aircraft, unit and pilot. Something like War Thunder has. Basically we all upload our skins to that site and a user can come it and add the skins he/she wants to their cart and just batch download. I wish I knew how to make a website. I know WiX exists but you still need to set up the structure for it.

• Upvote 1