ICDP

P-51D Mustang 4K Skins

Does anyone have any fonts for it? Or an edited template with different nose-designs colours etc they can share?

2 minutes ago, ACG_Woop said:

Does anyone have any fonts for it? Or an edited template with different nose-designs colours etc they can share?

search "USAAF fonts" you'll find em easly also, for the nose in the template there is only the blue nose the others are done by the skinner them self

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

Hi Pict, thanks for these fonts, they'll work with the USAAF aircraft as well, only trouble is that although Windows has them installed and I can use the fonts in Paint,  Gimp doesn't "find them"?!

Not sure about Gimp, but if they are recognized by Windows you should be able to copy them from the "Character map"  found under Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools at least on Window 7...then you should be able to paste them wherever you need them.

I have some templates with decent numbers and letters that will work for RAF, USAAF & Luftwaffe, done a long time ago by an Italian guy called Alex for CFS2 or 3...his website "Wings an Coffee" is dormant and I can't see anywhere else they are still available, so I'll upload them to a file share thing and post them in the Skinning Resources thread here later. He did some roundels too, so I'll put them all up.

Hi Pict,

Got the fonts into Gimp in the end, after downloading  version 2.10.12 I went into the preferences and found the fonts folder Gimp uses and put them in there, all working, thanks again :)

Witch

Changed green and Fonts for Sqn codes, thanks for the ever helpful advice :)

pony1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

Got the fonts into Gimp in the end...

Sound...your Mustangs looking better for it :)

I just uploaded a few little templates for UK & US national insignia, lettering and some Luftwaffe symbols & lettering Here :)

• Like 1

I see that nobody is preparing the "P-51 Petie 2nd" ...🤔
You do not like? I could do it, but I can't see good anymore,
it would take me too long!😔

P-51 Petie 2nd.jpg

• Like 1

I might also add that "Upupa Epops" would be a brilliant skin to have, flown by Bud Tordoff. This p51 is also a jet killer, with one me262 long range kill.

ep1.jpg

ep2.jpg

Edited by Siqhter
  • Like 1

WIP

Spoiler

aPhksjF.jpg

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 6

Well I did quite a lot of refining of my own personal 3 Sq RAAF skin CV-?, mucking around with the apha and such, so I've used those elements to create my take on the quite well known CV-P,  KH716 (originally suggestion to me by Pict), deciding to also release her here for general download. Although she's not as tarted up as her USAAF sisters, this Raaftang has the squadrons signature Southern Cross rudder, while at the same this minimalistic skin showcases ICDP's wonderful work. And should it ever come to pass she's ready to go fight further east.

After looking through my references, I've decided some work was still required to try and make this skin at least a tad more historically correct. To do this I shifted the serials back to the same left justified position of my CV-? skin , I've also lightened the rudder colour to be the same as that which I've used for the the codes, here I decided to not go as bright as some references would suggest, staying with the rudder the blue paint now extends onto the rudder balance as would appear to have been the units practice. 

CV-P 3 Sq RAAF Italy (updated 14/10/19 11:12 AUT)

The above link is now redundant please follow this link to go to page 4 of this post for a new link to a revised KH716 and also a new link for KH677.

The above link is now redundant please follow this link to go to page 4 of this post for a new link to a revised KH716 and also a new link for KH677.

Also you can now find an alternative OD green version of KH667 here

425709108_KH716CVP3SqRAAF2.thumb.jpg.7d504704d3300133f5f251dea9f11136.jpg

1338776428_KH716CVP3SqRAAF3.thumb.jpg.ec93f784bc5f73fa98eef1d2dc73adbc.jpg

Of course the lion share of credit and many thanks goes to ICDP for this excellent template.

Enjoy and ciao.

Edited by spudkopf
higher res' images
  • Like 5

Some skinning folks might find this useful for making unit markings:

noses.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ICDP said:

Guys here are some invasions stripe layers for the P-51D.  I have created 2 versions, modern warbird with sharp masked perfect lines and another with WWII done in a hurry by brush.

Full and underside only versions included

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/FMnJGZ6dkc

Sweet, as the stripes were supposed to be the same size on all fighters I should be able to get them onto a Tempest fairly easily, :) he says before he starts!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ICDP said:

Guys here are some invasions stripe layers for the P-51D.  I have created 2 versions, modern warbird with sharp masked perfect lines and another with WWII done in a hurry by brush.

Thanks so much!! 

5 hours ago, ICDP said:

Thanks, this will help. Took me forever to line them up myself and they still aren't perfect. Might use yours instead.

Edited by Legioneod

Cripes A Mighty

Spoiler

ysH2wjj.jpg

Not perfect but decent enough to release imo.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

ICDP

G'day

Was wondering if there was a remote possibility that you could release an RAF cam version template or at least make the three cam colour layers available, I'm admittedly being a tad lazy and trying to avoid starting doing the whole thing over from scratch, if you are unable to do so then that's totally understandable too.

Cheers 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:45 AM, Black-Witch said:

Hi Pict, thanks for these fonts, they'll work with the USAAF aircraft as well

You could but why bother when you can use these :)

USAAF Stencil and USAAF Serial Stencil by 4thFG_TwoGuns

USAAFStencilCharacters.jpg.cccfcb7c23164d22f2912ffbe5bf9bd4.jpg

USAAF Stencil and USAAF Serial Stencil fonts.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Pict said:

You could but why bother when you can use these :)

USAAF Stencil and USAAF Serial Stencil by 4thFG_TwoGuns

USAAFStencilCharacters.jpg.cccfcb7c23164d22f2912ffbe5bf9bd4.jpg

USAAF Stencil and USAAF Serial Stencil fonts.zip 106.23 kB · 2 downloads

Yes, even better thanks

Been working on my pony, the layers take some getting used to, I'm learning some are "blocking" other layers so become either/or options.

new lines.jpg

• Like 2

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not up to speed on Gimp so can't be of any help with that.

However I noticed that you added your avatar and would suggest that pure black is often too black on a skin as it has a tendency to make the object jump out like it's not part of things or shouldn't be there. Could be worth toning down a little...just a suggestion

Edited by Pict
  • Thanks 1

Well it would seem that I succeeded in getting over my bout of laziness, as I have started to work on my own RAF cam. Early days but I just finished applying the Dark Green and the Medium Sea Grey and after a quite a bit of trial an error managed to get the soft demarcation between the two sorted, now just got to set to work on adding the Ocean Grey.

rafcam3.thumb.jpg.26cc9bc5dbc41d1fb4b35f04dad01c3c.jpg

rafcam.thumb.jpg.d5b9ddd204b67d0056e15991512f65a6.jpg

rafcam2.thumb.jpg.78d342f5e76465528a7fbfca0f99b568.jpg

Sadly away from home again so cant test fly it outside of the viewer, more to come....

• Upvote 1

Well the things you discover when you start to doing some research, I'd always assumed that the 3 Sq RAAF Tangs would have just used a standard RAF camouflage pattern, however it turns out this is not the case, a fact that initially confused me when I was looking at various images of the units Tangs and the lines of the cam where not going where I expected them to go. This site details this anomaly, which by the way is also where the images below come from. Apparently this pattern was consistent across many of the camouflaged MkIV / P51K that the unit used. This scheme should also be a far simpler to apply to the skin 😄.

P-51K%20Upper%20Firewall.jpg

D%20CV-Z%20KH760.bmp

D%20CV-A%20KH676.bmp

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1

Any chance of some 4th Fighter Group or 355th Fighter Group skins? I can find some profiles or dig through my books for pictures!

Work in progress.

My grandfather was an armorer on OS-X at Steeple Morden.

OSX.PNG

• Like 2

P-51D 44-13561 (AJ+T) Short Fuse Sallee flown by Major Richard E. Turner, Commanding Officer, 356th Fighter Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. France, October 1944. Turner had 11 aerial victories plus various ground and V1 targets. 

Just about finished, just need to get the last details and the Alpha.

i8nfNK7.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black-Witch said:

Were they "Grey", I assumed they were just delivered in natural metal finish?

Not meant to be historical, Ive just skinned quite a few aircraft in this theme now with a matte grey body with black nose! :salute: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 487th-Wood said:

Any chance of some 4th Fighter Group or 355th Fighter Group skins? I can find some profiles or dig through my books for pictures!

I will eventually release Shangrila. For now I am busy with Happy Jack Go Buggy

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:44 AM, geraki9 said:

I see that nobody is preparing the "P-51 Petie 2nd" ...🤔
You do not like? I could do it, but I can't see good anymore,
it would take me too long!😔

P-51 Petie 2nd.jpg

I'm already planning it :biggrin:

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, Siqhter said:

I might also add that "Upupa Epops" would be a brilliant skin to have, flown by Bud Tordoff. This p51 is also a jet killer, with one me262 long range kill.

ep1.jpg

ep2.jpg

This is o0ne I am planning as well. This plane is only 20min south of me.

Edited by 361ST_SPEKTRE76
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 361ST_SPEKTRE76 said:

This is o0ne I am planning as well. This plane is only 20min south of me.

Yup, great museum.

14 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

I will eventually release Shangrila. For now I am busy with Happy Jack Go Buggy

I know Kidd Hofer didn’t have a D model, but would it be possible to skin his B as a D model?

2 hours ago, Megalax said:

The joy of lining up camo...

I so know very much your pain, I was up well past midnight tweaking the alignment of the skin below..

655847245_rafpatternfromdefault.thumb.jpg.a76614c5a622f277a860b7f9249b5751.jpg

Seeing that I'd already started working on a standard (if there is any such thing) RAF camo, which have I based on that used in the game default RAF, I decided to finish it off before starting the so called firewall scheme which is what CV-W is is supposed to be actually wareing. I chose to keep going as I plan to do the KH677 version of CV-P as well. Which by the way I'll be uploading an updated version KH716 with some more historical corrections soon