Jump to content
J5_Baeumer

Black September IV - Flying Circus

Black Septermber IV - Flying Circus  

113 members have voted

  1. 1. How do you prefer to fly this introductory campaign?

    • Central and Entente Teams that DO NOT SWITCH each week.
    • Red and Blue Teams that DO SWITCH sides each week.
    • Pilots (not teams) MAY SWITCH sides on a first come, first served space available basis at the start of each weeks mission. Would help even sides if attendance is unpredictable.
  2. 2. Which side would you prefer to fly? (select all that apply)

    • Both (I may wish to fly different sides different weeks sometimes)
    • Either side (put me where you need me if there are teams/sides)
    • German Preferred
    • German Only (don't select other options)
    • Entente Only (don't select other options)
    • Entente Preferred
  3. 3. Do you plan on flying Black September?



Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

@US103_Larner you  earn Blue Max (ACE) in one sortie ,good job !

 

Blue Max? Can I have a Victoria Cross instead? 😂

Edited by US103_Larner
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

 

Blue Max? Can I have a Victoria Cross instead? 😂

 

I'm sure the medal can also be converted, if the pilot has. 😈

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J2_Bidu said:

 

I'm sure the medal can also be converted, if the pilot has. 😈

 

The Flying Corps wouldn't have me due to my....shady past....but the USAS were less fussy ;) 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job today Larner! Actually congratulations to all who flew today, I saw big success today despite some minor issues. I thank everyone for making this event what it is. It would not happen without your support. Thank you J5_Matthias, Rumey, Gamecock, Baumer, Voss, JG_ Snaggle and =FB=Vaal for all the hard work that went into this campaign.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

 

Blue Max? Can I have a Victoria Cross instead? 😂

Only if you have court connections or are already dead, I'm afraid.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all who attended the mission today.

 

I appreciate everyone's patience, there were a few hiccups today and I wanted to step through and address them quickly.

 

- The mission was delayed kicking off because of an issue with some media files getting downloaded by players other than me.  This has now been resolved.  We will have the air raid siren for mission start and morse code noises to announce mission status updates next week and a few other nicities next week.

- The mission ended an hour early.  Yep it did.  A simple silly timer issue.  Thankfully it also helped us catch a potential point counting issue with IL2 that could have forced the mission to end early as well.  Fixed for next week.

- We're going to take a look at "bailouts" and how we can handle them since they're frankly imbalanced.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing in Flying Circus.

- Server password, death penalties, and finish flight timer countdowns will be correctly enforced next week.

- Some photo recon missions were completing and imediately reactivating to be done again with no cooldown.  It was an equal issue for both sides, so it did not cause a point counting discrepancy.    Fixed for next week.

 

Next week we will be on the Stalingrad map!  Get ready!

 

Thanks,

Matthias

 

4 hours ago, I./SG2_Foxmann said:

2. I have a some questions for the server host. Why was the mission file version  bs4lapino.mission ????  it  overloads the server!  ask the developer to issue a mission file for the server bs4lapino.msnbin. version .missionis needed for debugging the card only

 

My understanding was that its the other way around in IL2 from ROF and we're supposed to be using the .mission file here.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When configuring planes with cameras for recon missions, bombs for bombing, etc. a mission builder MUST also pre select other mods such as gunsights etc. at that time of configuring the plane...once these selections are made and locked to facilitate gameplay and the mission design, ALL mods become locked.   Therefore certain other choices must be made and are unable to be left for pilots to make later pre mission.....

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

Спасибо всем, кто посетил миссию сегодня.

...

Насколько я понимаю, в IL2 от ROF все наоборот, и мы должны использовать здесь файл .mission.

not. you're wrong. in il2 everything is the same as in rof. the file  .mission is too large and this creates difficulties when connecting a large number of players to the server. The file  .msnbin is compiled and allows you to quickly download the mission. I know it so-so I created missions in IL2

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it was an excellent first hit out.  Easy to see how great it will be with the proper map and a bit of weather.

Thanks J5!

 

The iron sight really threw me though. High deflection shots were a nightmare.

Any chance the Chretien and Aldis will make a reappearance?

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

- We're going to take a look at "bailouts" and how we can handle them since they're frankly imbalanced.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing in Flying Circus.

 

 

I can think of a quick fix for that...:hunter: 👹

 

In all seriousness, if the Parachute was a modification (as it should be) for German planes I wouldn't actually mind SOME Germans having them, as was historical - it's just every Pfalz, Alb, Dr.I and D.VII on the front having WW2-Style parachutes that is a little, er, unfair ;) 

 

By any means, not a complaint - in my mind this is the exact purpose of BS4, finding out the new challenges of setting up a campaign like this for FC and working to address them! 

Edited by US103_Larner
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

Next week we will be on the Stalingrad map!  Get ready!

 

Yesterday was my best experience ever in IL2 multiplayer, great performance even with lots of people fighting. Awesome!

Do you anticipate the Stalingrad map is going to contribute more to lag than Lapino?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

 

And you shot down 15.5% of those. You even shot me down! 😂

 

Let's make a percentage of people Larner has NOT shot down by the end of BS. Just out of curiosity... 😁

 

@US103_Larner Bloody good accuracy, mate! I had an impression you were in a Camel at first 😲 (couldn't imagine how this would happen.) Turned out you bloodied me and then somebody in a Camel chased me all the way down until I broke my wing off by desperately stupid maneuver.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

 

- We're going to take a look at "bailouts" and how we can handle them since they're frankly imbalanced.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing in Flying Circus.

 

The chutes *almost* balance the fact that Germans are flying 1917 planes (or 1918 planes with 1917 engines) against 1918 planes in what's supposed to be September 1918. Almost.

2 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

 

 👹

In all seriousness, if the Parachute was a modification (as it should be) for German planes I wouldn't actually mind SOME Germans having them, as was historical - it's just every Pfalz, Alb, Dr.I and D.VII on the front having WW2-Style parachutes that is a little, er, unfair ;) 

 

Parachute was standard issue in September 1918, all new planes came from factory with parachutes. IIRC British started issuing theirs in October. So no, historically everything is as it should be.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, US103_Baer said:

 

The iron sight really threw me though. High deflection shots were a nightmare.

Any chance the Chretien and Aldis will make a reappearance?

 

Funny that you say that 'cause it is just the opposite for me.  I hate when my head shifts slightly and my view gets obscured by the barrel of the collimator. Perhaps I should get a neck brace.

Image result for neck brace meme

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

- We're going to take a look at "bailouts" and how we can handle them since they're frankly imbalanced.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing in Flying Circus.

 

Let them jump...and panic all the way down.

 

I did shoot a parachute last night actually, but he was already dead. How he managed to jump and deploy while being dead is an interesting question though

 

25 minutes ago, J5_Klugermann said:

 I hate when my head shifts slightly and my view gets obscured by the barrel of the collimator. Perhaps I should get a neck brace.

 

Suits you sir 😁

That's the good thing about the Chretien and Aldis, your head doesn't have to be exactly centred. So long as you can see the pip or ring, that's where the bullets go.

Edited by US103_Baer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darling and I weren't able to make it, sorry about that. We'll try our best to be there next week.

Glad to hear you all had fun!
 

 

16 hours ago, J5_Matthias said:

- We're going to take a look at "bailouts" and how we can handle them since they're frankly imbalanced.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing in Flying Circus.

 

As @J2_Trupobaw mentions, the fact that the Germans have them is part of the asymetry of 1918 (it's as if nobody reads our Multiplayer Guide — I feel offended).

 

Two more things about parachutes that I noticed during testing and regular play on the J5 server:

 

  1. Bailing out on the enemy side means capture/death either way. Since Entente should be on the offensive behind enemy lines far more often than Central, it really doesn't matter that they don't have parachutes.
     
  2. Entente planes actually do have parachutes... from a coding perspective. You can bail out, press escape, click end mission, which starts the 10 second countdown timer. If you don't hit the ground before the timer runs out, you've successfully bailed out — again, only if you're on your own side. Let's call it a long deployment invisible parachute. The fix for that, should you wish to do so, is to lengthen the countdown timer to 30 seconds or so.
Edited by J5_Hellbender
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender said:
  1. Entente planes actually do have parachutes... from a coding perspective. You can bail out, press escape, click end mission, which starts the 10 second countdown timer. If you don't hit the ground before the timer runs out, you've successfully bailed out — again, only if you're on your own side. Let's call it a long deployment invisible parachute. The fix for that, should you wish to do so, is to lengthen the countdown timer to 30 seconds or so.

 

This is good :). Hilarous, and a workable solution to artificial problem. I like that.

I agree with Baer on  iron sights; the only good thing about them in Central planes is that you can turn them off (i usually fly without them or collimator). I did lose a fight on test mission because I took off with default setup  and that thing ahead of my face kept distrupting my aim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

 

 

The iron sight really threw me though. High deflection shots were a nightmare.

 

Theres a guide on our forum on how to use irons...

 

You'll notice your next pay stub will be docked a weeks pay. Also, your leave chit to Paris has been revoked. Mess Sgt. just came by looking for you for some reason. Might want to go track him down.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

 

  1. Bailing out on the enemy side means capture/death either way. Since Entente should be on the offensive behind enemy lines far more often than Central, it really doesn't matter that they don't have parachutes.
     
  2. Entente planes actually do have parachutes... from a coding perspective. You can bail out, press escape, click end mission, which starts the 10 second countdown timer. If you don't hit the ground before the timer runs out, you've successfully bailed out — again, only if you're on your own side. Let's call it a long deployment invisible parachute. The fix for that, should you wish to do so, is to lengthen the countdown timer to 30 seconds or so.

 

1. True, although it's always nice to 'survive' even if you end up captured, purely from an immersion standpoint :biggrin: But, the brass hats deemed it not to be! 

 

2. I noticed as well! Although for me, personally, nothing kills the immersion more than jumping with 'no' parachute and surviving for your next flight! To me it really does feel like gaming the game a little too much. Like you say, there was a German advantage in pilots having chutes and it would be good to keep that historical aspect (although I expect it will end up in a lot of chute-shooting, which I don't see a problem with inside events like Black Sept). The 'invisichute' actually gives Entente the advantage - you can shoot a guy dangling from a chute if you're a good shot. Good luck hitting a guy freefalling, though! On principle, I ride it all the way out to the ground if I'm forced to jump. That's just me, though...

 

 

 

7 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

The chutes *almost* balance the fact that Germans are flying 1917 planes (or 1918 planes with 1917 engines) against 1918 planes in what's supposed to be September 1918. Almost.

Parachute was standard issue in September 1918, all new planes came from factory with parachutes. IIRC British started issuing theirs in October. So no, historically everything is as it should be.



1) If the planes are so mismatched, then how come Central shot down 42 aircraft to Entente's 26?  :scratch_one-s_head:

2) Well, apart from the high failure rate (1-in-3 at first, improved a little later), the inability to bail from a plummeting aircraft, the parachute not catching fire when it's sitting on top of a burning fuel tank, the 30lbs extra weight to the aircraft.... ;)

(Although, the German pilots can't be blamed for that! It's up to the devs to add a proper Heinecke Parachute, which I hope they do!) 

 

Edited by US103_Larner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

 

1. True, although it's always nice to 'survive' even if you end up captured, purely from an immersion standpoint :biggrin: But, the brass hats deemed it not to be! 

 

2. I noticed as well! Although for me, personally, nothing kills the immersion more than jumping with 'no' parachute and surviving for your next flight! To me it really does feel like gaming the game a little too much. Like you say, there was a German advantage in pilots having chutes and it would be good to keep that historical aspect (although I expect it will end up in a lot of chute-shooting, which I don't see a problem with inside events like Black Sept). The 'invisichute' actually gives Entente the advantage - you can shoot a guy dangling from a chute if you're a good shot. Good luck hitting a guy freefalling, though! On principle, I ride it all the way out to the ground if I'm forced to jump. That's just me, though...

 

 

Being captured mainly means that you can't refly within the next 5 minutes. Much like death, it takes 20 minutes. Not bad considering it took JC 3 whole days.

 

The parachute thing is a non-issue, really. As soon as you're in freefall you can begin the timer to end the mission, that's the way the game has been coded. If server settings has that timer set to 0, it ends the mission right away, even before the German parachute deploys. So the solution is simple: either make bailing out equal for everyone and set it to 0, or increase the timer to a sufficiently large number that it would kill anyone freefalling from a reasonable altitude. If you remove the timer, people could still choose to ride out their chute or fall to their death by not ending the mission if they choose to do so.

 

Personally I'd like to see a 30 second timer paired with a realistic failure rate of parachutes. Of course I'm very much of the opinion that immersion is the responsibility of the developers and mission builders, not of the players. They just need to focus on gaming playing the game.

 

 

Speaking of immersion-killing and gaming the game, Darling and I found that dogfighting in two-seaters is a very different proposition compared to RoF.

 

For the most part, some of the more "arcade" elements are gone, including the aiming reticle for the gunner. This appears to be tied not to "Aiming assist" (as the name would suggest) but to "Navigation markers". This is different from RoF, where it was available even with all options ticked off. Navigation markers are unfortunately still part of the Expert settings package, so you need to choose Custom settings and manually disable it. The aiming reticle for the pistol and flaregun is not affected.

 

Other than that, there's the dramatic decrease in gun elevation/depression on the Halberstadt (the jury is still out whether this is intentional or not), but even with the Bristol it's no longer taking candy from an Alby — mainly because wings are so much tougher. If they could just add g forces on crew, I think we can finally put the gaming the game argument to rest. Perhaps even get some people back who quit partly because of turrets, both for WWI and WWII. AI sniping is also still a thing, but tied to server gunnery settings.

 

Just to be clear: the Bristol is still a butcher, regardless, it just takes a bit of effort and planning to attack someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely no problem with 'chute shooting. If I was flying Entente and a Bloody Hun was floating down to a dinner of schnitzel and bier in his territory I would do my best to kill (given no other threats around). If he was certain to be captured... well, let him float down, maybe we can "persuade" him to give up what he knows.   😈

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

I have absolutely no problem with 'chute shooting. If I was flying Entente and a Bloody Hun was floating down to a dinner of schnitzel and bier in his territory I would do my best to kill (given no other threats around). If he was certain to be captured... well, let him float down, maybe we can "persuade" him to give up what he knows.   😈

 

People set aside two or three hours on a Saturday to fly and have fun.  So instead of having them fly and play, you are putting them in timeout...not to mention potentially pissing them off in the process. I guess you don't care about that.  Some people are okay with this, some aren't.  Some see it as essentially giving them the finger and don't think its as funny as maybe you think it is.  So go ahead and shoot chutes, but if somebody thinks you're a jerk for doing it, and treats you as such, know that you had it coming.   Its not something that i think should be prohibited by formal rules, but I really do think it is a practice that should be shunned.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

 

People set aside two or three hours on a Saturday to fly and have fun.  So instead of having them fly and play, you are putting them in timeout...not to mention potentially pissing them off in the process. I guess you don't care about that.  Some people are okay with this, some aren't.  Some see it as essentially giving them the finger and don't think its as funny as maybe you think it is.  So go ahead and shoot chutes, but if somebody thinks you're a jerk for doing it, and treats you as such, know that you had it coming.   Its not something that i think should be prohibited by formal rules, but I really do think it is a practice that should be shunned.

I guess I come from it as flying in a "dead is dead" tournament where the idea is to attrit the opponent's side to prevent them from either accomplishing missions or providing defense against our side from accomplishing ours. However BS is not actually a DID tournament so there is not necessarily the incentive to do so. Still, since the Entente doesn't have the option of taking to the silk I see it as a way of balancing.

 

Consider me a jerk if you wish (I won't have the opportunity anyway since I'm flying german for the duration and I don't plan on using a 'chute).  

 

 

 

 

Edited by II./JG1_Vonrd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

I guess I come from it as flying in a "dead is dead" tournament where the idea is to attrit the opponent's side to prevent them from either accomplishing missions or providing defense against our side from accomplishing ours. However BS is not actually a DID tournament so there is not necessarily the incentive to do so. Still, since the Entente doesn't have the option of taking to the silk I see it as a way of balancing.

 

Consider me a jerk if you wish (I won't have the opportunity anyway since I'm flying german for the duration and I don't plan on using a 'chute).  

 

 

 

 

 

Like I said, not everyone thinks its okay.  When it happens in the WW2 components of Sturmovik, like during TAW, it is considered very uncool, and leads to a lot of dislike among people.  If that is what you are doing to "win" the tournament, it's pretty lame.  The slights and shows of disrespect add up you know, and in something as tiny as the small WW1 niche flight sim community, do you really need to be alienating people like that?  Like I said, there are other things people can be doing on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and they'll be thinking about that while sitting in timeout because somebody killed them in their chute, so keep that in mind next time you are going for the "win".   P.S.  While Black Sept. is not a DiD event, if you do end up doing it in a DiD event, it will be even less popular, because now that person literally can't participate (except as a gunner) until the next week.

 

Edited by SeaSerpent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

 

For the most part, some of the more "arcade" elements are gone, including the aiming reticle for the gunner. This appears to be tied not to "Aiming assist" (as the name would suggest) but to "Navigation markers". This is different from RoF, where it was available even with all options ticked off. Navigation markers are unfortunately still part of the Expert settings package, so you need to choose Custom settings and manually disable it. The aiming reticle for the pistol and flaregun is not affected.
 

 

This is good to know.  Hopefully, now that they know how, all who run servers will inhibit that, including the WW2 servers.  It was always one of the more gamey elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone record any of the event. Was hoping to see videos and images from the event being spammed in the relevant area. :(

 

4 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Being captured mainly means that you can't refly within the next 5 minutes. Much like death, it takes 20 minutes. Not bad considering it took JC 3 whole days.

 

The sole thing mentioned in the written rules was 20 minutes for death. I saw no penalty mentioned for ditching over enemy or friendly lines.

 

For my first sortie my aircraft became damaged due to flak to the extent that I had to jump to my death. So I spent 20 minutes on penalty sitting in Reserve channel. For my second sortie I was wounded and my engine damaged but managed to survive and land the aircraft over enemy territory. I checked and was informed that I needed to spend 20 minutes for being captured, same as death. For my third sortie I was wounded and my engine damaged but managed to return to my own lines and ditch. I checked for that also and was informed I needed to spent 5 minutes for ditching in friendly territory though the mission ended at that point.

 

From what I was told during the event seems its 0 minutes penalty for landing at base, 5 minutes penalty for ditching in friendly territory, 20 minutes penalty for ditching in enemy territory, and 20 minutes for death. So consider me a little confused about what the penalties are now and would be good to have more about such things mentioned in the written rules?

 

10 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Bailing out on the enemy side means capture/death either way. Since Entente should be on the offensive behind enemy lines far more often than Central, it really doesn't matter that they don't have parachutes.

 

Indeed having parachutes ought to make no difference to the Entente side. But having parachues ought to make quite a difference to the Central side (though am unaware about survival rates as have never used them). Any case where an aircraft cannot be landed over friendly territory (or when on fire for that matter) results in death for the Entente pilot but can result in survival for Central pilots. I am not stating that this did have an impact in any manner on the event (and I enjoyed it a lot). But I can see that such a situation might cause an inbalance to occur.

 

As an example take two pilots (one Central one Entente) both with four sorties over thier own territory that ended in identicle circumstances;

  1. Engine seized through damage. Ditched in field.
  2. Aicraft wings lost during a dive.
  3. Pilot died due to enemy fire.
  4. Aircraft wings lost due to enemy fire.

The Entente pilot would have spent 65 minutes on penalty while the Central would have spent 35 minutes. Had these pilots both been over Central territory it would have been 80 minutes versus 35 minutes spent on penalty. Had these pilots both been over Entente territory it would have been 65 minutes versus 80 minutes.
 

Edited by Oliver88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The solution to that is pretty simple.  You just make the Central pilot sit out for 20 minutes, just like he had died.  The Central pilot, if he landed in friendly territory gets to keep his "streak" if he has one, but other than that, it's all the same.  No more incentive to shoot parachutes, and if somebody does it, it is of no tactical benefit, and they can't rationalize around it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

The sole thing mentioned in the written rules was 20 minutes for death. I saw no penalty mentioned for ditching over enemy or friendly lines.

 

From what I was told during the event seems its 0 minutes penalty for landing at base, 5 minutes penalty for ditching in friendly territory, 20 minutes penalty for ditching in enemy territory, and 20 minutes for death. So consider me a little confused about what the penalties are now and would be good to have more about such things mentioned in the written rules?

 

I'm not an organiser of the event, but this is how I understand that it works:

 

  • Land at your original airbase with a plane that is still in working condition = 0 minutes
     
  • Land, ditch or parachute anywhere in friendly territory = 5 minutes
     
  • Land, ditch or parachute anywhere in enemy territory, or die = 20 minutes
     

If you're unsure whether you were captured or not, open the scoreboard while in spectator view and check whether your killed/captured counter (the tombstone icon) has increased.

 

 

2 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Indeed having parachutes ought to make no difference to the Entente side. But having parachues ought to make quite a difference to the Central side (though am unaware about survival rates as have never used them). Any case where an aircraft cannot be landed over friendly territory (or when on fire for that matter) results in death for the Entente pilot but can result in survival for Central pilots. I am not stating that this did have an impact in any manner on the event (and I enjoyed it a lot). But I can see that such a situation might cause an inbalance to occur.

 

This imbalance is what makes the game interesting, and dare I say: gives it a degree of historical accuracy.

 

When it comes to dealing with a crippled plane, ditching would have still been preferred to bailing, as parachutes had awful failure rates, especially during the first few months of their availability. It's also true that Entente top brass (especially the British, but also the French and Americans) opposed the idea of parachutes as it could supposedly hamper "fighting spirit" in the pilots. These were different times.

 

 

On the topic of chute-shooting, I think it's fair game and at a pilot's discretion. On the other hand, it's also fair game to intentionally ram someone with the express purpose of bailing out afterwards. The reason for this, is that it makes it all the more meaningful when a pilot chooses not to ram or chute-shoot, out of chivalry or common courtesy, rather than because he was forced to follow some (unwritten) rule.

 

Again, I did start my RoF career on the Russian CoCos server where getting bombed after ditching was normal and expected behaviour, so it doesn't take too much to convince me that you're not an utter bell-end.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

1) If the planes are so mismatched, then how come Central shot down 42 aircraft to Entente's 26?  :scratch_one-s_head:

 

I think it's called "Pilot Awesomeness".

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

 

On the topic of chute-shooting, I think it's fair game and at a pilot's discretion. On the other hand, it's also fair game to intentionally ram someone with the express purpose of bailing out afterwards. The reason for this, is that it makes it all the more meaningful when a pilot chooses not to ram or chute-shoot, out of chivalry or common courtesy, rather than because he was forced to follow some (unwritten) rule.

 

 

Sea Serpent is gonna have a field day with this.

Edited by J5_Klugermann
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't find any information on this event.  Time, date, rules, link?  If someone could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

 

Happy landings,

 

56RAF_Talisman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post has most information :).

(Basically - Saturdays, 1800 GMT, 3 hours long sign up in this here thread, report at 1730 on Jasta 5 teamspeak server to secure a seat in first row or ocme later to fly as reserve).

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Can't find any information on this event.  Time, date, rules, link?  If someone could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

 

All the info should be in the first post of the thread. We're one week down (it's a 4-week event) so I'm not sure if sign-up is still open...J5_Baeumer should be able to let you know! 

 

Event days are every Saturday, 1700UTC-1900UTC if I'm not mistaken  1800-2000UTC. I was mistaken! Like Trupo says, show up at 1730 for briefing ;) 

Edited by US103_Larner
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, J5_Klugermann said:

 

Sea Serpent is gonna have a field day with this.

 

I'm not saying that I encourage people to shoot parachutes or ram on purpose – but if it happens, it happens. It's not something I do personally, but that is neither relevant to the discussion, nor am I beyond losing my cool and ramming one of those filthy, filthy, sexy Camels (as flown by @SeaW0lf et al.) out of frustration. Especially in an event like Black September where there is actual gain for your team to put an enemy pilot out of action for 20 minutes, I don't see the need to get upset if someone does choose to shoot me down while I dangle in my chute.

 

Yes, it's a pity for someone who took precious time out of his Saturday to go play a game only to be knocked out in such a way. You don't have to tell me about it, due to wife, kids and that ridiculously beautiful Spanish weather I couldn't even make it and so I have to content myself with bitching on the forum all week. Maybe have a scrap or two on weeknights, if anyone's on at all. That's the time and place where death really doesn't matter and chute shooting is indeed pointless and petty. So if it really does bother you, all I can recommend is to spend more time flying multiplayer outside of organised events.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

 

1) If the planes are so mismatched, then how come Central shot down 42 aircraft to Entente's 26?  :scratch_one-s_head:

 

 

My only explanation for such ahistorical score is, we were one Wulfe short and you guys were one Larner ahead 😄 S! .

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two Pfennig to the parachute issue:

 

 

10 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

 

  • Land, ditch or parachute anywhere in enemy territory, or die = 20 minutes

 

I'd adjust it like this:
Land/ditch in enemy territory, parachute anywhere or die = 20 minutes

Even if you safely land on the parachute in friendly territory, rather long walk is to be expected.

Edited by J2_Jakob
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J2_Jakob said:

Even if you safely land on the parachute in friendly territory, rather long walk is to be expected.

 

I'm inclined to agree, but you'd rather think that ditching next to some farmstead in the middle of nowhere would warrant a similar walk :biggrin:

By any means, the 'parachute problem' is providing an interesting new angle to the ruleset! Having quite a lot of fun reading everyone's thoughts actually :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...