Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo

Alonzo
17 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

Not to interrupt the “to Me-262 or not to Me-262” (Ba Dum Tsssss) discussion, but are there “Noob only” time slots/periods on CB? 

I’ve only raced online (used to belong to Average Drivers Club), and never contemplated flying multiplayer, but I’m coming around slowly.  

KW mentioned the training server, which is a good option. Another is simply to fly at an off-peak time and see if anyone wants to fly on your wing. Generally speaking when there are fewer pilots it's a bit less cutthroat. Another option is one of the organized flyouts, for example tonight we have Friday Night Flights (US time) which is newb-friendly (please know how to taxi, takeoff and land, though). FNF has quite a lot of pilots and we do a briefing/debrief and it's quite friendly, although some of the pilots are very good indeed so it's not easy mode or anything.

If you join the Discord you can find out more about FNF by looking at the announcements channel. Tonight we're doing a "faux Pacific" scenario which requires custom skins via HSD.

• Upvote 2

kissTheSky

Thanks @Alonzo . I am having a bit of trouble taxiing but for the rest I’m ok-ish. 

I think for now I’ll just stick to the training server. 

Charlo-VR
30 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

Thanks @Alonzo . I am having a bit of trouble taxiing but for the rest I’m ok-ish.

Off topic: My buddy and I keep feeling as if some of the airfields in CombatBox and Finnish Virtual Pilots (so really, some of the airfields built into the game by the devs) seem to be highly resistant to left turns. Some of our same techniques that work fine taxiing to the left on most airfields simply don't seem to work on a few airfields, so we end up making multiple right turns on the ground to get to the runway.

Kablamoman
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

Off topic: My buddy and I keep feeling as if some of the airfields in CombatBox and Finnish Virtual Pilots (so really, some of the airfields built into the game by the devs) seem to be highly resistant to left turns. Some of our same techniques that work fine taxiing to the left on most airfields simply don't seem to work on a few airfields, so we end up making multiple right turns on the ground to get to the runway.

Could be a bit of wind, maybe? Not too sure how the ground handling in the game works with wind, but could be the mystery variable that changes your experience enough for it to be noticeable.

Edited by Kablamoman

iFoxRomeo
On 5/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, Psyrion said:

That means it's working. If you sort the CB aircraft stats by K/D or K/hr, both times the 262 comes out on top. (Not that that should surprise anyone but apparently it still somehow does)

Yes the limitations are working/limiting the use of the 262. Imho K/D is for the Ego as the amount of pilot lives is unlimited, so it doesn't matter how often you get shot down. K/Hr is only relevant with a relevant amount of flight hours.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, QB.Creep said:

@iFoxRomeo Your graph show number of kills that the 262 has achieved juxtaposed to the number of kills that other aircraft have achieved. This does not mean much since the 262 is extremely limited (as it should be). A better measure would be to look at the K:D ratio and kills per hour for the aircraft, but that of course that does not support your point of view.

You both should check the graphs I posted again. It shows (total hours of the airframe) together with (kills per hour * total flighthours of the airframe) for the whole 1st quarter of 2021. Kill per death, yes the Me262 has a high K/D ratio I never said it hasn't. My point was that the impact of the 262 was very small in the 1. QT 2021.

For the sake of simplicity, let's ignore all BLUE aircraft that had less than 500 kills in the whole 1st QT.

Summary of kills made by blue fighters: 19.726

The kills made by Me262 during that time: 515

That means the Me 262 is responsible for ~2,61% of all kills made by blue aircraft.

In other words: If you were shot down 100 times in total, 3 times of those a Me 262 would have been responsible for.

That is my point. Big cry out for 2,61%

On 5/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, VBF-12_KW said:

You should give the guy a break @QB.Creep.  It’s been 7 months since he’s been able to squeeze in a sortie on CB since there aren’t enough 262s available for him to fly.  Clearly he’s been wronged and some Allied bombers should be sacrificed to him immediately.

I'm sorry I didn't have more time for CB. I will probably fly more on CB once the Mosquito hits the deck. But you know, real life takes a big junk of available time and then there are other hobbies.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, VBF-12_KW said:

To be serious though, here’s some advice for the 262 advocates: maybe try flying a single allied sortie against your precious jets before you start telling everyone else how they need to be content for your seal clubbing.

OMG... poor little tempest seal babies...

On 5/26/2021 at 10:26 PM, Alonzo said:

LOL. Look at the lethality and the K/D from before a certain Allied squad started bombing the jets on the ground, and you'd see a different story.

Yes lethality and K/D are high for the 262, I newer questioned that. But these numbers are relative. I made a statement about the absolute impact of the 262 on your server.

I looked at the 1st QT 2021. The reason for the 1.QT was I started with the Finnish Server stats first, but unfortunately their stats have only 4.QT/2020 and 1.QT/2021. No data before that and 2.QT/2021 is still in progress. When I gathered that data I wanted to look at the stats of your server during the same timeframe. I wasn't intentionally picking a timeframe where Me262 was supposedly ineffective in order to emphasise a pro 262 statement. I'll check earlier stats, but without creating graphs, as it takes a lot of time.

Hey here's a graph, since we're posting graphs.

unknown.thumb.png.08454b592d00199f38ad178124537a09.png

This graph shows the truth. But it is also the truth that you normally don't fly e-power all the time as you don't want the il2-timer-limit to burn your engines all of the sudden.

So you are normally around 720km/h, that is still fast. A Mustang or Tempest, dropping from 1 km altitude advantage gets into your speed range and is long enough in guns range to shoot you down as the 262 accelerates slowly and when you turn you loose the speed you need to separate. Only when the 262 has some altitude to drop it has a chance to escape. The Tempest's hispanos hit very hard even at long distances. The Mustang doesn't kill you as easily as the tempest, but the damage is generally enough to take the 262 out of combat.

Well, could you add the P-51D with 130grade fuel and then extend the x-axis above 1000km/h so that the MiG-15bis could be added to you graph?!

You, @VBF-12_KW  and every one else is welcome to join my server (in DCS though) to seal club me down with a MiG-15bis while I'm in a P-51D in a Korea-based scenario. You won't see me cry.

The real P-51D pilots in Korea had balls of steel. I have the impression that some modern armchair pilots get wet eyes as soon as they read 262.

...If you want to fly one every mission, go play single player or Berloga.

I never asked for this. I simply asked, if the restrictions for the 262 could be reduced a bit.

Nothing more.

If you take a jet, you better be sure you can use it or you're wasting one for your side and you have no business even spawning the thing on an MP server.

First, its the pros that can handle the jet, create problems for reds so that there is a need for limitations. But if you are not a pro, you have no business in the jet.

Interesting. Sounds like you want the pros to keep up the pressure so that reason to limit the 262 can be maintained?!.. Just kidding

21 hours ago, -332FG-StiIgar said:

What advantages do other planes have that balance out the 262s advantages?

No balance, but a means of kill denial:

Turn capability. When a 262 is approaching at high speed, dive and break hard. If you are at the verge of blacking out, the 262 pilot probably exceeded it already, unless you initiated the turn too early. The new G-physiology brings the fast 262 pilot quickly to a blackout if he tries to lead for a shot, and for the Mk108 you need lot of lead. A slow 262 otoh has not enough thrust to turn.

A Mosquito denied a 262 clear shots by breaking hard multiple times and finally diving into clouds for a short time. After coming out of the clouds, the 262 was gone.

A well flown 262 has no significant weaknesses that can be exploited. It's not at all like the speed advantage of the other planes like the K4 or the Tempest for example, where you can catch it pretty easily by diving on it from a modest altitude advantage and then force it to maneuver and bleed its energy. With the 262, even skilled players would have a hard time catching it when diving from an advantage of 20,000 feet.

Sure, like any other plane you can beat it fairly easily if the pilot is inexperienced. If the 262 was only flown by them there would be no problem. I'm talking about inherent strengths and weakness of the plane itself. The problem is eventually you learn how to fly the 262 effectively and then you are nearly unstoppable. You can tear ass around the map with impunity and there's little that anybody else can do about it. There is no other plane in the sim that allows you to attack without exposing yourself to counter attack. In any other aircraft you can get bounced by somebody with an altitude advantage no matter what you do. In a 262, I could bounce helpless allied pilots even with a whole flight of Tempests right on top of me, because even those tempests with a few thousand feet of altitude on me can't catch me as I extend away.

Do you fly the 262? Are you unstoppable on a MP server?

Case in point, some friends and I once set out to hunt down a 262 flown by a very capable pilot. We are also pretty capable pilots. We chased him for a little over an hour, and I was only able to keep up because he was on the deck and I was at about 20k. We finally shot him down when two of us dove from extreme altitude and scored a few hits each, forcing him to break. So, 4 capable allied pilots spent over an hour trying to counter a well-flown 262.

Yes, a well flown 262 can't be touched easily, but while doing so the 262 is unable to touch another plane easily.

That's not what balance looks like! Would you be interested in fighting a Spitfire Mk. XIV. With a 109 E7?

The Spitfire Mk XIV turns inside a Bf109E7's turn circle and is faster. That is not comparable to a 262. A 262 turns(sustained) worse than anything else at SL and worse than any fighter at any altitude. So find a blue slow turner and a red pregnant-cow speeder for your comparison.

20 hours ago, Tatata_Time said:

When anyone has to embrace the suck too much times... people tend to quit stop whatever is causing them the frustration/pain (ZERO FUN). You need two to tango, so your opponent has to get the idea he has chances to beat you at any time or at any particular circumstances, otherwise you will win once but you won't have opponents anymore to PLAY and in this point you can't force people to ruin their spare time only for your own fun.

Absolutely right, if you want to populate your server.

20 hours ago, Tatata_Time said:

You like no limitations for 262...OK..... then I want it available in both sides (Ultra ZERO limitations). If you had to face another 262 then you'd change your mind.  You have to pick one option: Flying 262 with no limitations against nothing or flying any prop against anything. In case you don't like to pick any of those 2 options then... leave things like they are cause even you don't like things now the system is pretty balanced this way for both sides.

Great idea. But how many red-only players would dare to fly the 262? I can offer server capacity if you have a MP mission for that. I haven't dug into the IL2 mission editor yet.

Fox

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

QB.Creep
1 hour ago, iFoxRomeo said:

You both should check the graphs I posted again. It shows (total hours of the airframe) together with (kills per hour * total flighthours of the airframe) for the whole 1st quarter of 2021. Kill per death, yes the Me262 has a high K/D ratio I never said it hasn't. My point was that the impact of the 262 was very small in the 1. QT 2021.

For the sake of simplicity, let's ignore all BLUE aircraft that had less than 500 kills in the whole 1st QT.

Summary of kills made by blue fighters: 19.726

The kills made by Me262 during that time: 515

That means the Me 262 is responsible for ~2,61% of all kills made by blue aircraft.

In other words: If you were shot down 100 times in total, 3 times of those a Me 262 would have been responsible for.

That is my point. Big cry out for 2,61%

I understood the graph the first time. As a percentage of all kills in Q1, I understand that the impact of the 262 is very small. This is a result of sensible restrictions put in place to limit them and players who are actively working to suppress them. The only folks crying out about 262s are those who are too stupid to protect the ones they do get.

1 hour ago, iFoxRomeo said:

But how many red-only players would dare to fly the 262?

I have flown them plenty. They are a ton of fun but they are 100% easy mode if you have half a brain.

Willy__
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

I have flown them plenty.

Given the restrictions, could you please share the secret on how did you manage that ? 🙃

Edited by Willy__

Posted (edited)

I can not the believe the Hype over the 262 on this server .  🙄

Its in small numbers and is only on one or two maps . 

Just Don't fly solo and check your six and communicate on chat  . 

Man - up . 😘

Edited by KoN_
  • Upvote 1

Tatata_Time
8 hours ago, Willy__ said:

Given the restrictions, could you please share the secret on how did you manage that ? 🙃

Yours is a trick question.... you perfectly know you can fly it with no restristions in single player and in other servers out of CB mission server. Secret shared.

QB.Creep
9 hours ago, Willy__ said:

Know what maps have them and when they spawn. Look back at my CB stats between April and November of last year. I got a ton of kills and many of them were with the 262. I am mediocre at best so if I can do it, anyone can. 

Alonzo
On 5/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, Alonzo said:

The jets are on a limited number of maps, and they're limited for good reason. If you want to fly one every mission, go play single player or Berloga. If you take a jet, you better be sure you can use it or you're wasting one for your side and you have no business even spawning the thing on an MP server. If you wait 30 minutes, grab a jet, have a hardware problem and lose the opportunity and get annoyed about it, maybe consider whether you could have had more fun simply flying a K4 or D9.

If there's a bug and it seems like too many or too few jets are spawning, please let me know and I'll look at it. Other than that I'm done talking about the jets.

If there's a bug and it seems like too many or too few jets are spawning, please let me know and I'll look at it.

• Upvote 1

kissTheSky

@Alonzo, is SRS active on the training server as well?  I joined in to test take off/land area, and tried to do a couple comm checks but didn’t get a response. I wanted to check before I investigated more on my end. 

Thanks 

Alonzo
34 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

@Alonzo, is SRS active on the training server as well?  I joined in to test take off/land area, and tried to do a couple comm checks but didn’t get a response. I wanted to check before I investigated more on my end. 

Thanks 

Main server only, for SRS Ai bot.

• Thanks 1

kissTheSky
1 minute ago, Alonzo said:

Main server only, for SRS Ai bot.

Aha!  Thanks!

(of course that still doesn’t mean I had it correct 🤣)

=EXPEND=Dendro
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

@Alonzo please advise how I open a mission file in the editor, I want to see why some of the tanks respond differently to others when shot at with the BK 37mm. I need the Battle of the Scheldt map as well as the new map with the bridgehead in the south with the airborne divisions and german flak positions (not sure of the name).

You could also give me a screenshot of the objective/s and I can point out the tanks.

Gorn mentioned that there might be a bug with the 37mm and the tanks.

Edited by =EXPEND=Dendro

Alonzo
4 hours ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

@Alonzo please advise how I open a mission file in the editor, I want to see why some of the tanks respond differently to others when shot at with the BK 37mm. I need the Battle of the Scheldt map as well as the new map with the bridgehead in the south with the airborne divisions and german flak positions (not sure of the name).

You could also give me a screenshot of the objective/s and I can point out the tanks.

Gorn mentioned that there might be a bug with the 37mm and the tanks.

I've replied via PM. Let me know what you find and thanks for checking.

iFoxRomeo
On 5/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, Alonzo said:

If there's a bug and it seems like too many or too few jets are spawning, please let me know and I'll look at it.

So as you quote yourself and with this quote you repeated your answer to my post

On 5/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, Alonzo said:

...If you want to fly one every mission...

Don't put words into my mouth. Okay?! Thanks.

Your entry post:

On 4/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, Alonzo said:

Feedback is appreciated. If you find a problem, or have a suggestion please let us know here in this thread, or join our Discord: https://discord.combatbox.net/

My suggestion based on the stats

On 5/26/2021 at 6:41 PM, iFoxRomeo said:

But the numbers don't show any kind of dominance.

Perhaps the restrictions could be reduced a bit.

IMG_3808.thumb.jpeg.20cafa6035e1556b05e4c8fa420f63ad.jpeg

And part of your answer to my post.

If you want to fly one every mission,

I never asked for this. How do you get from "reduce a bit the restrictions" to "fly one every mission"?

Nevermind.

Have a nice day.

Fox

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tatata_Time

Please check out the mission settings in the Operation Paravane map, with the mini-HUD active (bearing & G's display) every single map trigger text (marked in green) can be read, Thanks for advance. 

• Thanks 1

Alonzo
On 6/2/2021 at 6:55 PM, Tatata_Time said:

Please check out the mission settings in the Operation Paravane map, with the mini-HUD active (bearing & G's display) every single map trigger text (marked in green) can be read, Thanks for advance. 

Something has changed in the mission editor / resaver / server software since this last update. I'm trying to figure it out and working with the 1C QA manager (when I'm not reading posts about 262s, that is). Sorry about the problem, I'm definitely trying to fix it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

ROCKET_KNUT
44 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I'm trying to figure it out and working with the 1C QA manager, when I'm not reading posts about 262s

Thank you man, highly appriciated! I like your sense of humor as well.  🍻

Bremspropeller

The Typhoon is a real force-multiplier. If the Tempest isn't around in numbers, the Tiffie is almost as good.

Great airplane! Now which button do I map to move those ailerons?

StaB/Tomio_VR***

Yesterday for information, there wasn't any radar message on the Mitchell's map.

The B-25 target name on the map were modified as well. Is it intentionnal ?

On the very same map, i noticed that most LW bases has 2x16 He-111 H-16 available.

Alonzo
8 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Yesterday for information, there wasn't any radar message on the Mitchell's map.

The B-25 target name on the map were modified as well. Is it intentionnal ?

Not intentional. Something is broken with the latest patch, some of our missions don't work properly. I had to remove 6 missions from rotation while I look into it. The missions currently live on the server should  work correctly, please let me know if there is a problem. 

And thanks for the bug report!

• Thanks 1

CSW_606_Temp

Crosing the Rheine mission bug report.
Airstart airfieled dont work for Typhoon. Spawned on the ground among trees .

Thanks for fast Typhoon adding on all maps 👍

Alonzo
7 hours ago, CSW_606_Temp said:

Crosing the Rheine mission bug report.
Airstart airfieled dont work for Typhoon. Spawned on the ground among trees .

Thanks for fast Typhoon adding on all maps 👍

Fixed, thanks for the report.

Also, the rest of the maps are back in rotation, I found and fixed the problem causing some missions not to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

NO.20_Krispy_Duck
Posted (edited)

Yes, you guys got the Typhoon added quickly, which was nice. It's a fun plane to fly and has some potent ground attack options as well.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dawgboy
20 hours ago, NO.20_Krispy_Duck said:

Yes, you guys got the Typhoon added quickly, which was nice. It's a fun plane to fly and has some potent ground attack options as well.

You or any others having sporadic issues with the Tempest or Typhoon throttle not advancing fully?  We can go out of the mission, come back, and all works fine.  It's hit or miss and troubleshooting various configs yielded nothing that points to a solution.  FYI:  @JG606_Temp

RedKestrel
3 minutes ago, Dawgboy said:

You or any others having sporadic issues with the Tempest or Typhoon throttle not advancing fully?  We can go out of the mission, come back, and all works fine.  It's hit or miss and troubleshooting various configs yielded nothing that points to a solution.  FYI:  @JG606_Temp

I have, in the past, encountered this issue with RPM specifically for the Pe-2, where at max full forward on my throttle quadrant, in-game I only got 50% throttle. Despawning and then re-spawning in the aircraft fixed the issue at that time. Only in MP. This was maybe 2 years ago? I haven't had it lately. I was using teh Saitek throttle quadrant and CH throttle. You may want to make a post about it in the Technical Issues forum for help. 

The other possibility is the way the mixture works on the tiffie: If your mixture is set to the 100% 'engine start setting', the planes throttle will not be able to advance past 10% open (or something similar) until you reduce it to the 50% 'run' setting. Possibly your mixture levers are either not responding right or are just not set properly.

• Thanks 1

=ABr=422nd_RedSkull

Dear @Alonzo or other adm.

We're having a problem to getting one of our pilots on the ABr squad stats, the =ABr=422nd_Ximira. 

The links that I generated on the website are not working well. Would you be able to help us?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone, it's Friday and we're hosting a Friday Night Flights "fly out" on the main, public server. Mission will roll to Operation Market Garden at 2100 Eastern time (0100 UTC). No sign up needed, just meet up with other pilots and fly! Many of the FNF regulars will be logged onto SRS and using it to communicate. This is an opportunity to use the Ai GCI (Ground Controlled Intercept) bot that is active on our SRS server. It's quite fun to use, and useful -- you can get a call sign, request clearances, request tasking, ask for cover, declare a bombing target, and get vectors home. Here's the full info:

Use of SRS Radio

Thanks to the game developers and Ciribob, pilots can now enjoy realistic radio communications integrated into their IL2 experience. For full details and installation instructions, please read the guide on the forums. Once you have installed IL2-SRS and have it running, your SRS radio client should automatically connect when you join the Combat Box server. You'll initially be placed in the neutral 'intercom' channel, then channel 1 for your coalition once you spawn a plane.

On Combat Box, pilots should use SRS channels 1 through 10 for the following purposes:

• Channel 1: Command / Coordination. Monitor channel 1 for important messages from Allied or German command, and to coordinate with other pilots.
  • Channel 2: Airfield Operations / Tower. Ensure you switch to, or monitor, channel 2 when operating near an airfield.
  • Channels 3-10: Operation-specific communications. At pilot's discretion, use these channels for specific operations such as CAP, ground strike, or intra-flight comms.

SRS now supports two radios per aircraft. We encourage pilots to use both radios. For example, you could leave the first radio set to channel 1 at all times and use your second radio for task-specific communications.

"CB Radio" and AI Ground Controllers

Combat Box features artificial intelligence that provides strategic mission updates as well as voice recognition. You may hear AI voices on channel 1 radioing that targets are under attack or warning of heavy fighting, or broadcasting airfield conditions and traffic updates on channel 2.

If you wish to use the speech recognition, first join channel 2 and say "tower, radio check". The AI should respond that it can hear you. You can then say "tower, request call sign" in order to be assigned a call sign. Please listen carefully and remember your call sign. If you forget your call sign, do another radio check and the bot will use your call sign in response.

Radio calls work best if you use the "full" radio call sequence each time, i.e. [ident you are talking to] [your ident] [your location, if relevant] [your request]. Due to the way IL2 works, the bot only knows your location if you recently spawned, took off or landed, engaged in combat, or explicitly told it your location. On approach to an airfield, for example, you might have to tell it your grid before (or during) an airfield information request, but then you can ask for a landing and it'll know where you are.

"Kenway, this is Voodoo-2 in grid 1218, request mission" will be more reliable than "Voodoo-2, 1218, need mission." Abbreviated calls do work, but if you're having trouble getting a response from the bot, try the long/formal version. The bot supports the following commands:

"Tower, radio check"
"Command, comms check"
"Mic check"
Request a radio check.
"Tower, request call sign." Request a call sign for the duration of your mission. Call signs persist through death but are reset on map roll. If you forget your call sign, just do another request or a radio check and the bot will remind you.
Valid callsigns: Anvil, Banshee, Cowboy, Dropkick, Eagle, Falcon, Grizzly, Hellcat, Iceman, Jackal, Nighthawk, Lonestar, Maniac, Neptune, Outlaw, Panther, Quicksand, Raven, Scorpion, Tomahawk, Uncle, Voodoo, Wizard, Yamaha, Zombie.
"Tower, request call sign Uncle-4" Request a specific call sign. If it is available, the bot will assign it to you. Sometimes it's hard to get the bot to hear you correctly. Try distinctive call signs like 'Tomahawk', 'Raven', 'Voodoo', 'Eagle' and 'Quicksand'.
"Tower, flight of three, type 109, request call sign." Request a call sign for a flight of up to five aircraft. Only the flight lead should do this, and the bot will assign the 'lead' call sign to whoever made the radio call. Wingmates should follow up with "Tower, request call sign Voodoo-2" (or whichever call sign it assigned) to register that they are wingmen.
"Tower, permission to taxi"
"Ground, this is Vulture-5 request taxi"
Request taxi clearance.
"Tower, request takeoff clearance"
"Tower, this is Voodoo-2, ready to take off"
Request takeoff clearance. You may be denied takeoff clearance if an emergency landing is in progress at your airfield.
"Longbow, Wizard-1 in grid 2418"
"Command, this is Yamaha Lead in grid 1015"
Update GCI with your current location. If there is urgent activity nearby, the bot will direct you to it, otherwise the bot will simply acknowledge your update and remember your location. If future action occurs nearby, the bot will know where you are and coordinate you with other aircraft.
"Control, Nighthawk-2 in grid 3130, request assignment."
"Kenway, this is Uncle-3 in grid 1015, request mission."
"Command, this is Tomahawk-2 in grid 2024, need orders."
Request an appropriate mission for your location and aircraft role. For fighters, the bot suggests nearby friendly objectives that need protection or nearby enemy targets where friendlies need cover. For bombers, the bot will suggest a nearby enemy objective that you can attack. The bot knows if you have bombs/rockets and will treat you as a fighter or bomber. Jabos will automatically be treated as fighters once they have dropped their bombs
"Command, Maniac-Lead, strike package en route to grid 1716, ETA 5 minutes."
"Kenway this is Tomahawk-2, en-route to grid 2526"
"Longbow, Wizard-1, bomber target 1812"
Declare a bombing objective and (optionally) your ETA. GCI should respond with the enemy target name, indicating it understands your intentions. A few minutes before you reach the target, GCI will look for a nearby fighter and vector them to cover you. Shortly before target, GCI will give you a sitrep for your target.
"Kenway this is Tomahawk-2, ETA 4 minutes Update your ETA to target. This is usable at any point in your flight, and you should give an updated ETA to better help the bot coodinate fighter cover for your strike.
"Kenway, this is Anvil-1 in grid 1015, request cover" Ask for immediate cover, regardless of whether you previously declared a target. The GCI bot will attempt to locate a nearby untasked fighter and vector it to your location.
"Command, Tomahawk-1 in grid 1817, request picture" Ask GCI for a 'picture' of action in your immediate vicinity. If there's a "hot" location or heavy fighting within about 20km, it will let you know. It will also look for any enemies it knows about in your sector, and either say "picture clear" if it can't find anything, or it will warn you of the general amount of enemy activity. The bot is not all-seeing, so even if it says "picture clear" you cannot be sure you're actually completely clear of bandits, but if it says "caution, heavy enemy activity" it really knows there are enemies nearby.
"Longbow, this is Voodoo-5 in grid 2411, need vector to friendly airfield"
"Control, this is Arrow-Lead in grid 1017, request bearing home"
Request a compass heading for you to fly to the nearest friendly airfield.
"Command, Wizard-1 in grid 1015, RTB"
"Control, this is Uncle-3, returning to base, damaged"
Declare that you are returning to base. If you include a grid reference or were recently involved in action, the bot will acknowledge and give you a bearing to the nearest friendly field. Declaring that you are RTB also marks you as 'untaskable' so the bot will not try to assign you cover or intercept missions on your way home.
"Tower, request airfield information"
"Tower this is Anvil-2 in grid 1017, request runway in use"
"Airfield, request advisory"
Request current airfield conditions such as the runway in use and traffic. Note: the bot doesn't magically know your location, so you may need to do "Tower, wizard-1 in grid 1015, request airfield information" to let it know where you are. After that a landing request with no grid reference should work.
"Tower, Banshee-2 in grid 1012, request landing."
"Melsbroek Airfield, Tomahawk-Lead, request landing."
"Control, Banshee-2 inbound for landing"
Pilots can ask the tower for a landing clearance. Due to the fact that many pilots are not on SRS, the tower can only give an advisory, but it should help you on your approach. You need to give a grid at some point in your interaction with the tower, to establish that you're nearby, but once you've done that you can request clearance without including a grid.
"Tower, Maniac-3 in grid 2417, emergency landing" Declare an emergency at a nearby airfield. The tower should give you landing clearance and advise nearby traffic, as well as denying takeoff clearances during the emergency.
"Longbow, say again"
"Command, repeat your last transmission"
Ask for a repeat of the last transmission. This only works if you include "Tower", "Command", "Longbow" or another specific station name, to avoid clashes with pilots chatting to each other. This command is useful if the GCI bot gets stepped on by another player.

Please use channel 2 for setting up call signs and doing radio checks.

Channel 1 can get swamped with pilot chatter, and the bot will respond on either channel. If you are Allied, you can use callsigns "Kenway" and "Longbow" to address the bot, in addition to "Command" and "Control" that are used by Germany. If you're on channel 2 the bot will also respond when addressed as "tower" or "airfield".

The complete list of valid call signs are: Anvil, Banshee, Cowboy, Dropkick, Eagle, Falcon, Grizzly, Hellcat, Iceman, Jackal, Nighthawk, Lonestar, Maniac, Neptune, Outlaw, Panther, Quicksand, Raven, Scorpion, Tomahawk, Uncle, Voodoo, Wizard, Yamaha, Zombie.

Improving speech recognition

The bot is trained on speech samples from the pilot community. If you want to help train the bot to recognize your voice and accent, please join our Discord and see the #voice-recordings channel to download our bot-trainer utility. We really appreciate pilots submitting their voice samples — it helps make the bot better for everyone.

Edited by Alonzo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

kissTheSky

@Alonzo

I’m a noob, and have only ventured to the training server till now, but would like to train the bot. However, I’m not on discord, and I don’t think there’ll be another reason to join. Is there any other way to train the bot? Is the utility also on website for luddites like me to download?

DerSheriff
21 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

@Alonzo

I’m a noob, and have only ventured to the training server till now, but would like to train the bot. However, I’m not on discord, and I don’t think there’ll be another reason to join. Is there any other way to train the bot? Is the utility also on website for luddites like me to download?

Another 1000 good reasons to join IL-2 discord in general is too live chat with people that share the same hobby. Ask questions, especially as a noob and also just for the banter. 

It also helps to be up to date about the server. Discord doesnt really have many downsides.

kissTheSky
7 minutes ago, ACG_DerSheriff said:

Another 1000 good reasons to join IL-2 discord in general is too live chat with people that share the same hobby. Ask questions, especially as a noob and also just for the banter. 

It also helps to be up to date about the server. Discord doesnt really have many downsides.

Point taken, but I barely have about an hour’s worth of seat time 4-5 days a week, and usually the time between the PC is turned on and a game starts is taken up with the decision of the day; “do I want to fly or drive today?”

Anything other than the above takes away from my game time, and I’m sure everyone on the server is great and all, but I’d rather be flying/driving. No offense. 

NO.20_W_M_Thomson
9 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

Anything other than the above takes away from my game time, and I’m sure everyone on the server is great and all, but I’d rather be flying/driving. No offense. 

Don't know about anyone else but when I fly I usually fly while on discord. So not hard to do both. Actually it's much better than going it alone.

kissTheSky
3 minutes ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Don't know about anyone else but when I fly I usually fly while on discord. So not hard to do both. Actually it's much better than going it alone.

How can you do SRS and discord the same time? Doesn’t that defy the purpose of SRS? 

Im honestly trying to find out. I’m new to multiplayer in flight sims (in fact I’ve only logged in twice for less than 5 minutes), and am trying to make sense. 

-SF-Disarray

You have to use push to talk on discord to make using it along with SRS worthwhile. There is an option in SRS to have the switch radio button also work as a push to talk button so you can bind a button for selecting/talking radio 1 another for radio 2 and a third for discord giving you a potential for 3 channels of communication. I use a hat switch for this.

In order to make this all work right I find it is best to have SRS pipe radio one in to one ear, radio two into the other and have discord on both ears. That way you know what line someone is talking to you on. This take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it there is really little issue.

kissTheSky

@-SF-Disarray, thanks. That would definitely need some time to getting used to.

Let’s just say I don’t have the capacity, will, and the time to do it and wait for @Alonzo to respond whether there’s a way for me to help train the combat box bot without having to create an account for discord. If not that’s ok. I have a distinct non native speaker accent, and thought it may help others, that’s all. 

NO.20_W_M_Thomson
On 6/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, kissTheSky said:

How can you do SRS and discord the same time? Doesn’t that defy the purpose of SRS? 

Im honestly trying to find out. I’m new to multiplayer in flight sims (in fact I’ve only logged in twice for less than 5 minutes), and am trying to make sense. 

We usually or sometimes have 1 or 2 squad members on srs and all of us on discord. Guys on srs relay messages.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:05 PM, kissTheSky said:

Point taken, but I barely have about an hour’s worth of seat time 4-5 days a week, and usually the time between the PC is turned on and a game starts is taken up with the decision of the day; “do I want to fly or drive today?”

Don't worry about the training data, just have fun and fly. The bot is trained on a bunch of voice samples, so it should still understand even without your specific voice.

To give you an idea, the bot starts off learning on about 75GB of mp3 audio, which is the model distributed as part of DeepSpeech. I then fine-tune the model based on about 3,000 Combat Box specific voice samples, so it can learn more specific phraseology. It works pretty well.

kissTheSky
7 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Don't worry about the training data, just have fun and fly. The bot is trained on a bunch of voice samples, so it should still understand even without your specific voice.

To give you an idea, the bot starts off learning on about 75GB of mp3 audio, which is the model distributed as part of DeepSpeech. I then fine-tune the model based on about 3,000 Combat Box specific voice samples, so it can learn more specific phraseology. It works pretty well.

Thanks Alonzo.