lefuneste

3DMigoto mod for VR

I agree with moosya.

Without this mod, VR would be close to unplayable in MP. You can't ID everything with MGs and technochat.

On 2018. 03. 24. at 10:04 AM, lefuneste said:

Last 8.1 version that works with mirror is available in first post.

It provide a more robust way of handling eye computation and label masking. Cloud flickering are gone now.

Mirrors are not working with modded zoom (I turn them to gray instean of having a tiny floatting image), you'll have to use standard game zoom for them.

Zoom settings are tuned by default for Rift (settings from from -[HRAF]Black_Sab) but I also included Vive settings from Wraithzlt. You'll just have to comment/uncomment the ones you want.

Thank you again Lefuneste as always. I haven't had the chance to try this version yet. I will report back here when I do.

Also thanks for including my values in the Mod. 

Note to everyone that the y6 values (IPD settings) are probably subjective to my IPD which is 61 mm. However, I believe the y7 values (zoom vertical alignment) are objective values and should work for everyone.

Yep, the original settings that were in the previous version were better @lefuneste

Can you please post them as I fear I didn't keep a copy. 

Probably because of what Black_Sab said. 

The new ones kinda make you go cross-eyed. My IPD for sweet spot found by Rift software is 71, the real one from center to center of pupil is 68. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

These are the default values in v8.0

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 10.0
y6 = 1.3
x7 = -0.15
y7 = 0.0

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 1.5
; y6 = 0.1
x7 = -0.15
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]

;set med zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_RIGHT
type = hold
; w = 3.0
w = 5.0
; y6 = 0.1
; y6 = 0.3
y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = 0.0

• Thanks 1

Can you change the default key bindings for zoom or do you have to use a programme like joy2key? I would like to have zoom on my throttle.

Gave it a try but struggled to get anything lined up. The Vive example settings in the ini file were way off and just made me ill spending 30 minutes trying to get the settings corrected without success.

Possible to use the headset IPD located in the startup.cfg file as a ratio for input somehow?

58 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Gave it a try but struggled to get anything lined up. The Vive example settings in the ini file were way off and just made me ill spending 30 minutes trying to get the settings corrected without success.

Possible to use the headset IPD located in the startup.cfg file as a ratio for input somehow?

I'm guessing that the zoom values will be individual as Black_Sab has already stated.

My actual IPD is 59mm but the vives lowest IPD is 61mm. I'm guessing your IPD Tripwire is higher than both of those which is why your crosseyed from my values. 

I was crosseyed from the original settings which is why I needed to spend along time find values that suited me.

Btw Thankyou Lefuneste for the update!

1 hour ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

That's not possible, because I do not know how to associate the zoom factor and the separation to use, and there is no way ot read information from files in 3dmigoto . If values given by black_sab are too extreme, try the ones for Pimax or Rift. As I do not have either a rift or a vive, I can not define good defaults values. Maybe you can posts yours here, I may compute a mean and put it into the next version...

1 hour ago, 6./ZG76_Archie said:

Can you change the default key bindings for zoom or do you have to use a programme like joy2key? I would like to have zoom on my throttle.

You can set any key you want, but not joy button unfortunately.

Great job Lefuneste! The cloud flickering on zoom is completely gone and the smoke trails are no longer separated from the objects emitting them when using custom y7 zoom values.

Note that the default x7 value of -0.15 for the individual eye circle distance no longer works. It makes the two circles two far away. 0.15 (positive) works well for me.

All in all, after setting up the values correctly the Mod works perfectly fine now.

5 hours ago, Wraithzlt said:

My actual IPD is 59mm but the vives lowest IPD is 61mm. I'm guessing your IPD Tripwire is higher than both of those which is why your crosseyed from my values. 

Yeah my IPD is 68mm.

5 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Yeah my IPD is 68mm.

Mine is 69mm and and think I use y6 = 0.1, can double check tonight.

Mind you I only use a w=3.0 zoom stacked with the in-game vr-zoom. The 0.1 for y6 then works and I find magnification more than enough.

I also remove the black mask.

I just tested a new (and last, I hope) feature of the mod: I can replace on the fly the map texture diplayed when pressing the "O" key. The idea is to be able to have a kind of DCS kneepad in IL2BOS. By default the texture is tiled (that is it is duplicated on X and Y position to fill the map area) but you can easilly zoom and shift it with the mouse to have it fully displayed.  Of course you can swith from map to kneepad and vice versa. The image will be static, there is no way to compute it from the game.

I plan to allow about 5 different images to display. The images will be 1024x1024 texture (more will be wasted because of the VR res, I think) and the format is jpg, and you will be able to replace them with your own. You'll switch from one to another with a key.

I imagine to put a table summarizing plane characteristics (manifold Press./ RPM for boost/combat/cruise, climb speed, T°,...), a summary of my joystick mapping (I always forget some mapping not often used),  but what do you like to have ? Can someone provide me picture of plane characteristics table (with big enough character size to be readable in VR) ?

Edited by lefuneste

8 hours ago, lefuneste said:

I just tested a new (and last, I hope) feature of the mod: I can replace on the fly the map texture diplayed when pressing the "O" key. The idea is to be able to have a kind of DCS kneepad in IL2BOS. By default the texture is tiled (that is it is duplicated on X and Y position to fill the map area) but you can easilly zoom and shift it with the mouse to have it fully displayed.  Of course you can swith from map to kneepad and vice versa. The image will be static, there is no way to compute it from the game.

I plan to allow about 5 different images to display. The images will be 1024x1024 texture (more will be wasted because of the VR res, I think) and the format is jpg, and you will be able to replace them with your own. You'll switch from one to another with a key.

I imagine to put a table summarizing plane characteristics (manifold Press./ RPM for boost/combat/cruise, climb speed, T°,...), a summary of my joystick mapping (I always forget some mapping not often used),  but what do you like to have ? Can someone provide me picture of plane characteristics table (with big enough character size to be readable in VR) ?

that's a cool idea, lefuneste.

In-game, when going in to a Map mode there's a separate tab that displays the plane specifications, as well as the engine time limits. I think just grabbing a screenshot of that section alone and converting it in to a .jpg is good enough. Although, will you be able to display/store such specification page per plane and pull up only the appropriate one in flight? Or you're thinking it'll be a single page with every plane's characteristics?

1 hour ago, moosya said:

Or you're thinking it'll be a single page with every plane's characteristics?

One or two page with each plane's characteristics : for example if you have a plane that you don't know very well in multiplayer server...

58 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hmm is there a way to remove the Zoomed-in Mask? I've seen people talk about it, but how exactly do I do that.

Just set the x value to 100 instead of 0.12 in d3dx.ini:

;----------------
; zoom settings 
;----------------
; zoom square radius
; x = 100
x = 0.12

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

One or two page with each plane's characteristics : for example if you have a plane that you don't know very well in multiplayer server...

so, your O function can recognize which plane you're sitting in and pull up the appropriate .jpg file? That'd be super awesome!

Finally installed this, it really is excellent, love the 5x zoom. Think I'm going to get joy2key now though as I really want to use it on my throttle.

2 hours ago, moosya said:

so, your O function can recognize which plane you're sitting in and pull up the appropriate .jpg file? That'd be super awesome!

For that I need to find a specific texture for each plane, that is unlikely. But I can at least use sight texture to provide german /russian / us or italian plane information.

1 hour ago, lefuneste said:

For that I need to find a specific texture for each plane, that is unlikely. But I can at least use sight texture to provide german /russian / us or italian plane information.

yes, I see the difficulty you're faced with.

well, there's a manual created by @Myscion that lists all keyboard bindings in the beginning and then covers each plane's cockpit/operating guidelines.

http://www.moddb.com/games/il-2-sturmovik-battle-of-stalingrad/downloads/box-quick-guide-v2-8

I guess if you could just list the specifics for the .jpg file itself, i.e. what's the best font type, size, and picture resolution/size to use for the best output in VR, where to place the file, etc. After that I'm sure some folks will find use for this feature. :)

Edited by moosya

@Lefuneste

y7 shifts view vertically when zooming.

Is there an equivalent for horizontal shift? x7 does nothing and is for the mask only afaik.

It's done : the 8.3 version is available here for testing : http://www.mediafire.com/file/lhi367cu31zcnpy/3Dmigoto_VRBOS_8.3.zip

It adds the possibility to replace the map texture displayed by pressing the "O" key by one of 5 jpg files, see image below.

To activate the image loading you must press once "F10" key, I still had to work on it.

• To test it: press "o" to display map,
  • close the description window to the right of the map
  • press "F10" to load images (once per game session),
  • then press shift + F2 to switch from map to custom picture,
  • then shift + F3 to switch from one picture to another,
  • then shift+F2 to get back to map display.

Of course pictures can be changed by your own, they are in the directory ReplacementTextures, are named image1.jpg to image5.jpg and should be 1024x1024.

pictures are tiled, you can zoom/unzoom it with the mouse roll and shift them with the mouse.

2018_3_31__9_58_45.jpg

Edited by lefuneste
  • Thanks 1

I am probably missing something obvious here, but with version 8.2 and the rift, the zooms work perfectly in the hangar when in menu, but once I get into the cockpit the view is cross eyed with significant masking. As I understand it the latest version should load BlackSabs x/y values automatically?

Thanks

Edited by Kaiza

You'll want to replace them with the standard values from the previous versions. I also have a wide IPD, and the values in 8.2 also make me go cross-eyed :wacko:

• Thanks 1

Well done Lefuneste, thanks again for your continued effort on this mod. 

Lefunesete,

Many thanks, really helps put this one across the goal line. Using version 8.2 at the moment with Voice Attack.

Presently I am combining the in game zoom function with the MOD, using Target Software. Dispensing with 10x at the moment but still working on the sweet spot for external searching.

S!

Edited by II./JG1_Lipfert

On 4/3/2018 at 1:26 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You'll want to replace them with the standard values from the previous versions. I also have a wide IPD, and the values in 8.2 also make me go cross-eyed :wacko:

Thanks mate. Turns out it was just the masking that was an issue. I guess obscure masking on each eye was making me feel cross-eyed, but now that I have removed it it feels about right.

Cheers!

On 3/27/2018 at 12:16 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hmm is there a way to remove the Zoomed-in Mask? I've seen people talk about it, but how exactly do I do that.

Fenris,

Can you post your 3x and 5x settings when you get a moment, I had mine good and have been trying to tune but pretty much messed them up.

S!

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 1.5
;common settings
x7 = -0.15
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_RIGHT
type = hold
w = 5.0
; Pimax 4K settings
; y6 = 0.6
; x7 = -0.15
; y7 = 0.0

; Vive settings from Wraithzlt see https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-for-vr/?do=findComment&comment=584348
; x6 = 0.525
; y6 = 0.525
; x7 = -0.15
; y7 = 0.05

; Rift settings from -[HRAF]Black_Sab see https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-for-vr/?do=findComment&comment=589545
y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.425

Edited by Kaiza

On 4/3/2018 at 9:52 AM, II./JG1_Lipfert said:

Using version 8.2 at the moment with Voice Attack.

Would you be willing to share your voice attack profile?  Thanks!

13 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yea take those from Kaiza. I don't have the 3x settings at all anymore, and only the 5X zoom from 8.0

I tried to combine the in game vr zoom with the 5x and it's not great, 3x is good though. Just need to mess with it till it's 100%

S!

3 hours ago, CVGridley said:

Would you be willing to share your voice attack profile?  Thanks!

Sent, double check the key mappings as they may not be default !

• Like 1

One trick to set up y6 and y7 for your eyes:

• launch the game,
  • edit d3dx.ini, change w = 1.0 to w = 10.0 ( if you want to setup 10X zoom) in the [constants] section
  • press F10 => you will have 10X constantly set
  • modify y6 and y7 in d3dx.ini, press F10 again => this will update the setting in the game
  • do it untill you find the good values for your taste
  • modify y6 and y7 in the [key1] section to set them to the values you have found
  • set again w =1, y6 = 0 and y7 = 0 in [constants] section
  • press F10 => all should go back to normal in IL2 and you will have the 10X zoom at your taste

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2018 at 5:36 PM, lefuneste said:

• launch the game,
  • edit d3dx.ini, change w = 1.0 to w = 10.0 ( if you want to setup 10X zoom) in the [constants] section
  • modify y6 and y7 in d3dx.ini, press F10 again => this will update the setting in the game
  • modify y6 and y7 in the [key1] section to set them to the values you have found
  • press F10 => all should go back to normal in IL2 and you will have the 10X zoom at your taste

that's a cool trick, lefuneste! Thanks, man!

btw, I'm using VivePro and the new sections you've introduced in to the config (offsets for rift/vive/pimax) are very useful, that is truly appreciated, sir!

I have been unable to use this tool since 7.1.

With my Odyssey HMD the horizon  suffers from double vision, though closer objects such as the cockpit are fine.  Is there a setting I should be changing to fix the horizon offset?

On 4/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, lefuneste said:

• launch the game,

When I try this the mod does not respond to any constant or variable changes. The zoom commands and color fix commands work but none of the changes I make to 'w', 'y6', or 'y7' are reflected in the game after pressing F10. Any idea why this would be? I've installed the mod with JSGME and have already tried deleting the mod folder, taking the snapshot again and extracting version 8.2 back into the mod folder.

Just installed this and love it.  Thanks so much for making this - I can finally ID planes in VR.  Didn't have to change anything but bound the 5x (Lalt+Right, I think?) zoom to my throttle and it's amazing having a zoom capability on par with what monitor players can see. 

I have a problem setting the zoom with Joy2Key. I have assigned the x5 zoom to a button on my throttle, but the zoom only works when joy2key is the active window. As soon as i make the game the active window, the button stops working (using the default keybinding still works though). So i guess it's an issue with joy2key not working when it's not the active window. Found no solution in the interwebs.. anyone know how to solve this?