Tactical Air War

=LG=Kathon

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Does anyone know what the upper level ping limit is on this server? I tried to connect to fly over the weekend and got disconnected quite often. My ping was showing in the 120 range but I know that it sometimes spikes due to connection quality. 

When you are booted for not having the right plane or for another reason, do you see a 10009 error, or another server message? I didn't have the HUD on when signed in so I didn't see anything from the server beforehand warning me.

No idea, however when they were testing recently I was occasionally seeing a massive ping when trying to enter the server and getting booted regularly.

=LG=Coldman posted the following advice on page 257 of this thread;

On 4/26/2021 at 11:28 PM, =LG=Coldman said:

Possible fix to those who has ping issues with our server. it is sartup.cfg file

[KEY = network]
      available_ip = ""
      client_download_traflimit = 100000
      client_ip = ""
      client_upload_traflimit = 100000
      downloader_port = 28100
      server_download_traflimit = 1000
      server_upload_traflimit = 1000
      tcp_port = 28000
      udp_port = 28000
[END]

I tried this and I haven't had and issue with ping since, at least that I'm aware of for as Kon_ says above, the ping doesn't always show, in fact from what I've seen, more often than not that's the case.

• Thanks 2

WokeUpBlue

Hi LG,

If I'm reading the plane-set chart correctly, I should have to earn only one advanced IL-2 in my Peshka career before I can start earning my Pe-2 on map 4:

image.thumb.png.cf2dfe609c1744549f73545164ae24de.png

However, my stats page shows that I need to earn 2 advanced IL-2s before I can start earning my Peshka:

image.png.0671d09e8fc00af9dec56b83f3fac084.png

Am I not understanding something correctly, or is this a bug?

Nerfection
12 hours ago, WokeUpBlue said:

Hi LG,

If I'm reading the plane-set chart correctly, I should have to earn only one advanced IL-2 in my Peshka career before I can start earning my Pe-2 on map 4:

image.thumb.png.cf2dfe609c1744549f73545164ae24de.png

However, my stats page shows that I need to earn 2 advanced IL-2s before I can start earning my Peshka:

image.png.0671d09e8fc00af9dec56b83f3fac084.png

Am I not understanding something correctly, or is this a bug?

I posted the exact same question but never got a response :( It seems that unless you message =LG=Todes directly (who is really good at responding quickly and helpfully) you're on your own, especially with the discord down indefinitely.

It's a shame that the Il2 you get two of is the downgraded 1942 version. I'd prefer 2 1941s :)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nerfection said:

the downgraded 1942 version

Interesting, was that when they stopped using Duralumin™ for the wings? Was the motor downgraded too? I need to bone up on the Il-2 and start flying it more.

Edit; I'm sure you need to get both IL-2 42's before you get a Pe-2. I just took 2 screens from a guys statistics that appears to prove this theory. One shot of his hangar where he as everything but the Pe-2 and one shot of his current life that give some idea of how much you need to do without getting shot down by AA or Bubbi™ to be 4 point from getting a Pe-2...it's a lot.

Spoiler

IL2-42x2.thumb.JPG.21e0f17c9d896ed9545649e17044946c.JPGPe-2_4ponits.JPG.ab2180fe1e0a2e7382958e0609116b38.JPG

====================

In other news, the Blues have lost both depots and the border bases next to them, so I guess the end is nigh for the big push Axis push at Stalingrad...They only have two bases left and a small yet target rich territory.

Spoiler

targetRich.JPG.6c820ce52566696a9a57d34414f9090b.JPG

I flew a fair bit in the last couple of missions and had the pleasure to fly alongside some of the =TPE3BOE HE6O= squadron, which was fun even although I had no way of communicating with them. Time to learn some basic Russian and add that to the other languages I have a go at. откройте радиатор (open your radiator) would have been useful if I'd known how to say that. But for now I'll just say thanks for letting me fly alongside you all, спасибо :good:

I racked up a fair few +CP and was close to getting my first Il-2 42 for the second time even though I got tagged by the AA a bit, I mostly RTB'd. Needless to say it didn't last and I got shot down by a 109 and killed, so lost all the +CP again.

I soon built it back up, but getting a bit overconfident, target fixation some call it, I clipped something, with my tail when I pulled out pretty had I think, and lawn darted the LaGG killing my guy and most of the +CP with him :biggrin:

It's a lot of fun and I'm happy with flying the fighter-bombers and if I can be sure of flying with others would be keen to fly the IL-2 as well. This round of TAW certainly has put the vik back into Sturmovik and I don't just mean the IL-2. All up I think that's a good thing. No doubt they will tweak it in the longer run, but for now it's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned and I think they do a great job the LG guys :good:

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1

=LG=Blakhart
5 hours ago, Nerfection said:

Hi Nerf! This and issue with rockets is under progress. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great AAA even shoots its own pilots down .. 😁 one hit one Kill .

Great AAA . I give up . 😐

Edited by KoN_

1 hour ago, KoN_ said:

Great AAA even shoots its own down .. 😁 one hit one Kill . Great AAA . I give up . 😐

Don't give up KoN_...

If you're on sometime that I'm around I'll fly flak bait for you if you like...not that I don't get hit, but I'm getting better at getting them home :) 

2021_5_17__15_1_9.thumb.jpg.60d1283d8c4666af5dc5256c7473ed5e.jpg

Wish I'd gotten a screenshot of the one where about 1 third of my wing was shot off...the plane flipped on it's back just as I was about to pull out after the attack. Somehow I got it upright without hitting the deck and after wrestling with it for a while manged to get it down only to realize what had happened. Tough old bird the LaGG-3 :) 

• Like 1

SV7_Zommer

Does the TAW website have general statistics on the red and blue sides?(total players, hours of play, total actions)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Some glitch in the records as I was just shot down by a 109, yet the log states that I was shot down by AA.

There are no sign of any of the guys flying 109's at that time having shot me down.

There is no AA in the area I was shot down

Plus, I am certain it was a 109, as he passed by very close as I put the LaGG down in a field bordered with trees (easier said than done) and as I waited to exit, he turned around in front of me in clear view and came back and strafed me while I was on the deck still in the cockpit, which is fair enough and within the rules and I even expected him to do it and is why I try to ditch and tend to avoid the parachute at all cost...but there is no record of him in the log, just AA that wasn't there.

The attack started at about 1035.9 and continued till I ditched at 1135.6

https://tacticalairwar.com/pilot_sortie.php?id=27499&name=Pict

I find this a little odd to say the least. Do we have a ghost Bubbi™ floating around? Bubbi™'s gonna Bub™, but he shouldn't be Bubbing™ around without it going in the log :biggrin:

Edited by Pict

SV7_Zommer
18 minutes ago, Pict said:

Some glitch in the records as I was just shot down by a 109, yet the log states that I was shot down by AA.

The Bf109 with armor plates and bombs flies so slowly that the server counts it as a ground unit ;)

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nerfection said:

Wow. 99.54% damage in one hit. Ouch.  XD 

Yeah, the real bummer is that it was Red AA while he was flying Red and he'd managed to shoot down a 109-F2

I had a 1 shot = 100% damage in a LaGG and I wasn't really close to the target at the time either...shot also damaged my pilot to over 90% and incredibly he came round soon enough to see the prop hit the ground :biggrin:

1shot2kills.JPG.c513f9bc2f5e79ceb830a177e439fc61.JPG

Edited by Pict

Posted (edited)

CAP over airfield while players taking off . One 109 came in high to distract the AAA firing then two more came in lower . Ended up fighting one and in the middle of it i get a nice outside view of my plane in flames . Not a happy man . This AAA is a pain in the ASS . ! . Aim-bot . 

All it does it put off any solo player doing ground attacks , Considering its all about tanks and stopping the ground forces moving to take cities and airfields . 😑 one hit one kill stats back to zero its "Escape from Tarkov ."  😆

Edit . Player base for Escape from Tarkov has dropped massively due to the toxic community and game its mechanics . 😁

Edited by KoN_

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KoN_ said:

This AAA is a pain in the ASS . !

If memory serves, the AAA was significantly beefed up a fair few campaigns back in order to counter the bombers like the dreaded Peshka :) 

Irony now is that there pretty much are no bombers, or at least very few Peshka's considering how many AA infested hoops you need to jump though to get one.

It's like Catch-22 meets Escape from Tarkov

=====================

Edit; I forgot to mention my AA death this morning, before getting bounced by the phantom 109 posing as an AA

I took an IL-2 to attack a bridge, visibilty wasn't great and the flight was long, but I got there and made a pass at it with 6x100kg bombs. Needless to say the AA hit me pretty hard before I even released the bombs, but I made the drop and pushed on through onto my home-bound heading.

Oil was now covering the windshield and my goggles when I saw some tracer behind and to the side of me. Initial though was that Bubbi™ had spotted me, but the next tracers were coming up from the deck. This was not far from the bridge, but well far enough for it not to be the bridge AA, 2 of which I had flattened :) 

A glance to starboard and all was clear, I was slap band alongside a hidden target, partisans I think some call them. Too late to do anything even if I could in a barely flying IL-2

♪♫ Bang bang, he shot me down, bang bang, I hit the ground, bang bang the AA shot me down (yet again) :biggrin:😄💀

Edited by Pict

Posted (edited)

A hidden target partisans and This also got me the other night . 

Edited by KoN_

SE.VH_Boemundo
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, KoN_ said:

CAP over airfield while players taking off . One 109 came in high to distract the AAA firing then two more came in lower . Ended up fighting one and in the middle of it i get a nice outside view of my plane in flames . Not a happy man . This AAA is a pain in the ASS . ! . Aim-bot . 

All it does it put off any solo player doing ground attacks , Considering its all about tanks and stopping the ground forces moving to take cities and airfields . 😑 one hit one kill stats back to zero its "Escape from Tarkov ."  😆

Edit . Player base for Escape from Tarkov has dropped massively due to the toxic community and game its mechanics . 😁

Do you fly with a team? Time? What is your timezone? Where do you gather to team up? It is only possible to be successful against flaks with teams and several squads concentrating fire in a single target.

Edited by SE.VH_Boemundo

WokeUpBlue
7 hours ago, KoN_ said:

All it does it put off any solo player doing ground attacks 

That's not entirely true, you just have to practice it and be selective with your targets.

Practice attacking airfields with AA in QMB; it's not exactly the same as in TAW as I think the TAW AI is set to be smarter, but it's a good start.

As far as target selection for solo players goes: airfields and depots are definitely impossible. But the other targets are doable, especially if some friendly squadron had already taken a bite out of the AA in them. I find if there are 5 AAs left that's too much for a single attacker to even approach, 3 or 4 is OK if you're constantly weaving in a fast fighter and only make one pass with a not so accurate bomb-drop, and 2 or 1 AAs can be taken out even if you're alone.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WokeUpDead said:

That's not entirely true, you just have to practice it and be selective with your targets.

Practice attacking airfields with AA in QMB; it's not exactly the same as in TAW as I think the TAW AI is set to be smarter, but it's a good start.

I agree with this, but would add that you need to practice the right technique to achieve anything.

Most of the following video is not appropriate for the modern IL2, and as you say, the TAW AA has a better chance of hitting you anyway by design. But if you can master the flight path shown in the video you will have a far greater chance of beating the AA

Dart did lots of tutorials for the original IL-2 series, a search for "Darts IL-2 tutorials" should turn up more . The're short, to the point with elevator music and never fail to "give a big ol'smile™ :) 

=========================

Additionally from what I've learned through many's a crash & burn;

Speed and the ability to take damage are key factors and few of the planes available have enough of both so inevitably some kind of compromise must be arrived at.

The IL-2 although it can soak a fair bit of damage and can carry useful payloads, is just to slow for a solo AA run. I've had decent success with both the MiG-3 & LaGG-3, but I'm leaning towards the LaGG as it seem to be tougher and with the 23mm cannon hits back harder. Also it has a full set of trimmers, which are handy for damage compensation.

After that you can play around with what weapons you choose to use and how to deploy them.

• Bombs are effective but only after you have passed through the kill zone, so a decision on setting a bomb timer can be critical as every fraction of a second counts either way in a kill or be killed sense.
  • Rockets are a good option as they are more of a stand off weapon than bombs but they have far smaller splash damage so require greater accuracy.
  • Machine guns & cannons are good from the stand off point of view and even if not accurate they can be used suppress the AA long enough to get the kill either on their own or in combination with rocket or bombs.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SvAF/F16_radek

I remember someone had taw-statistics archive ranging from the very first campaigns. Am I remembering imaginary things or does such a site exist?

ITAF_Airone1989
Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

I remember someone had taw-statistics archive ranging from the very first campaigns. Am I remembering imaginary things or does such a site exist?

We have:

https://forgotten-taw.tuttovola.org

12 hours ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Edited by ITAF_Airone1989
  • Like 1

SvAF/F16_radek
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

Thanks airone, Starts from xv though. And was looking for the early ones.

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek

Posted (edited)

Talking of TAW statistics, I noticed something odd tonight...(no it's not the blanked out player names, I did that for some element of privacy)

axis_trucks.thumb.JPG.298d9ed80f652277b29ea0f7e23a7899.JPG

Edited by Pict

=TH=Kap-the-head

I asked TAW admin about it. It means their supply will be twice as slow from now on.

• Thanks 1

SE.VH_Boemundo
Posted (edited)

Soviets receive messages in flight about enemy aircraft or not? They have radio? What objects advice enemy of approaching aircraft? Cities? All cities or the bigger ones? In time, my squad is asking what's necessary to have a channel, with 3 subchannels, in TAW's TS? Who I need to ask for?

Edited by SE.VH_Boemundo

AKA_Relent
26 minutes ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

Here is another poll - please read the first note carefully before voting.

Basic fighter loadout poll

Unless I missed something, I believe the whole point of the basic fighters with bombs/rockets serves two purposes (sorry if I’m stating the obvious)

- Since there are not enough aircraft types to accurately represent historical types used across the entire war timeline, =LG= has introduced “handicapped” versions (w/bombs, rockets), which (having the racks remaining after dropping ordinance) is a slower version of that type, which represents an earlier version (closer to historical-ness)

- By having basic types with bomb/rocket racks required, it allows for aircraft  “lines” where those same aircraft can be clean, thus faster, and represent the actual versions of those aircraft.

If all base fighters are clean, it sort of removes the point of having aircraft lines in the first place, since in many cases the aircraft line fighter would match the base fighter (unless the line fighter was a new type, e.g Yak1 vs Yak7B vs Yak9, etc).  For example, in map 1, Red has a Mig-3 basic with bombs or rockets.  On 2 of the lines, the “premium” plane is a Mig-3.  If the basic Mig-3 was clean, there is no bonus in having one of those two lines, no separation of performance.

• Like 1

SE.VH_Boemundo
44 minutes ago, AKA_Relent said:

Unless I missed something, I believe the whole point of the basic fighters with bombs/rockets serves two purposes (sorry if I’m stating the obvious)

- Since there are not enough aircraft types to accurately represent historical types used across the entire war timeline, =LG= has introduced “handicapped” versions (w/bombs, rockets), which (having the racks remaining after dropping ordinance) is a slower version of that type, which represents an earlier version (closer to historical-ness)

- By having basic types with bomb/rocket racks required, it allows for aircraft  “lines” where those same aircraft can be clean, thus faster, and represent the actual versions of those aircraft.

If all base fighters are clean, it sort of removes the point of having aircraft lines in the first place, since in many cases the aircraft line fighter would match the base fighter (unless the line fighter was a new type, e.g Yak1 vs Yak7B vs Yak9, etc).  For example, in map 1, Red has a Mig-3 basic with bombs or rockets.  On 2 of the lines, the “premium” plane is a Mig-3.  If the basic Mig-3 was clean, there is no bonus in having one of those two lines, no separation of performance.

Close to historical-ness but 70% of russian air force at the beginning where I-16 and Polikarov. I barely saw an I-16 even at the first maps, only migs.

AKA_Relent
2 minutes ago, SE.VH_Boemundo said:

Close to historical-ness but 70% of russian air force at the beginning where I-16 and Polikarov. I barely saw an I-16 even at the first maps, only migs.

Yes some truth there but I'm just talking about the basic fighters w/loadouts vs the line fighters (esp of the same type).  The historical-ness is regarding that (I.e. representing an earlier version not represented in BoX), not which types were chosen for the base types, that’s another conversation :).

SE.VH_Boemundo
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, AKA_Relent said:

Yes some truth there but I'm just talking about the basic fighters w/loadouts vs the line fighters (esp of the same type).  The historical-ness is regarding that (I.e. representing an earlier version not represented in BoX), not which types were chosen for the base types, that’s another conversation :).

A better way to increase attacker or bomber career is to limit registration in the same way they limit registration on each side. I understand its important to have ground attackers. As example maximum of 20% more registered pilots in a pure fighter career than the ground attackers and bombers. Example: if we have a total 100 pilots on attackers/JABO bombers so only 120 players can choose pure fighters without bombs or something like that. I would suggest more lives to a career that flies only stukas, IL-2 and heavy bombers, like 5 lives.

Edited by SE.VH_Boemundo

CSW_606_Thomas

Hi guys!

I have one question. I was able to take off in IL-2 1941 Basic with 2x250kg bombs last flight. If I understand the planeset correctly, this configuration Is not allowed on current map.

Was it bug or feature?

Thanks for the answer.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, CSW_606_Thomas said:

Was it bug or feature?

It's a feature. Up to and including 6x100kgs works. 37mm canons and 250kg bombs don't. 23mm canons do.

TAW is complex and there is no way to explain how it works in one post here. Best thing to do is read the manual & plane set which is available on the TAW web-page and accessible after clicking the drop down on the top right.

https://tacticalairwar.com/

TAW_manual_location.thumb.JPG.a20bcca5c31ff08e43ea07cd73fc343e.JPG

=====================================

That said 2x250kgs is not a useful load out compared to 4x100kgs as you can kill 4 tanks with 4x100kgs and still be 100kgs lighter on take-off.

Alternately you can take 6x100kgs & 20mm canons and you will have the approximately the same take off weight as 2x250kgs & 23mm canon. But you can kill up to 3 times as many tanks with the bombs and the 20mm is still good for soft targets, like trucks, AA and artillery, plus any 109's that happen to overshoot you :) 

Tanks are a key factor in each map and are the most suited target for IL-2

Currently the blues only have 40 tanks left...

838495593_TAW26May211040GMT1.thumb.JPG.a6555b024894d1b96fd71fa86f73c70c.JPG

Edited by Pict

E69_Piter
Posted (edited)

where are the f4 basic?? are the reds afraid to lose the war?😄

Edited by E69_Piter

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, E69_Piter said:

where are the f4 basic?? are the reds afraid to lose the war?😄

You can have a K4 basic for all I care about losing the war :) 

oh_bubbie.thumb.JPG.615a6f004e400ac5881124425d1c2131.JPG

Edited by Pict
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, =LG=Coldman said:

We are looking at balance as whole campaing. Plane set is prepared to be slightly better for one side and on next maps is slightly better for other side. This is what i mean. of course you can complain on every map balance but it is not tha case for us. we want equal chances to win the war for both sides not for every map. As You know maps arent balanced beacause there is alway some side on offensive and has more tanks etc. Same thing is with planset. 

Dear Coldman,

now we have the map No6.

Can you share with me (us), where we will see some proofs of your words? Will it be the Map No7?

109e7_lagg3.png

Edited by Norz
  • Like 1

ACG_Prancing
Posted (edited)

Imagine thinking that a lagg is better then an e7 x)

You wanna dogfight and not just run away? E7 > all other 109's in this game

Edited by ACG_Prancing
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ACG_Prancing said:

Imagine thinking that a lagg is better then an e7 x)

You wanna dogfight and not just run away? E7 > all other 109's in this game

Ok, I understand your point. That shows than all rounds before P40 vs 109e7 was totally wrong. It should be Lagg3 vs 109e7. Thank you.

Edited by Norz
  • Upvote 1

• BlackSix locked and unpinned this topic