Tactical Air War

Kathon

JG4_dingsda
5 minutes ago, Pict said:

What language is that Siddy?

Should be: "well played", "good game", "good job all" :salute: In case you knew and I did not get it: Now is the time to mock me. :biggrin:

Edited by JG4_dingsda
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JG4_dingsda said:

Should be: "well played", "good game", "good job all" :salute: In case you knew and I did not get it: Now is the time to mock me. :biggrin:

I was having a bit of fun you got that much right, but even though I figured it was something akin to -Cockney rhyming slang meets the Netfix generation-™ I couldn't quite decipher it :biggrin:

So thanks for the explination :good:

Edit...even though Yandex list Scottish Gaelic, they're a tad light on vocabulary...being my mother tongue I find that kinda funny.

Edit 2 ...I shoud take that back, I just tested it and they appear to have gotten a whole lot better with the Gaelic since I first spotted it.

Edited by Pict
Tha e a 'dol na b' fheàrr

Cpt_Siddy
11 hours ago, Pict said:

What language is that Siddy?, I can't find it on Yandex Translate and they even have Scottish Gaelic :) 

You have Zoomer to Boomer translator? :biggrin:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

You have Zoomer to Boomer translator? :biggrin:

You mean Boomer & Zimmer, no? :biggrin:

Hey guys, just curious, why is my profile showing a Time penalty of ~17hrs? Lives is at 1.14 and no crashes/ditches in the last 3 sorties? Going through the manual, no situation seems to apply, except perhaps the 20hrs penalty when lives goes to 0?

=KG76=DomyWis
20 hours ago, Raven109 said:

Hey guys, just curious, why is my profile showing a Time penalty of ~17hrs? Lives is at 1.14 and no crashes/ditches in the last 3 sorties? Going through the manual, no situation seems to apply, except perhaps the 20hrs penalty when lives goes to 0?

When you are on your last life while you die and the lives counter become equal or less than 0 then you are penalized with 20 hour ban from TAW. You earn 0.2 lives on any sortie that earns 1 CP or greater. Max is 3.0 lives.

You were likely at 0.74 lives when you died, and after completing the two sorties in which you earned CP you were granted a total of 0.4 lives.

The fact is you died, your team outnumbered the enemies by some amount, meaning full amount of 1.0 of a life was lost. In order to allow you to keep playing in the future your lives were instantaneously returned to the previous value. It would not make much sense to leave you with 0 lives because then you would be banned indefinitely.
ihm2H58.png

Edited by =KG76=DomyWis
  • Thanks 1

@=KG76=DomyWis thanks for the detailed explanation, however what's confusing is that the penalty is not applied immediately. For example, during the sortie right after the one where I was killed (when lives=0.94) I disconnected due to the game crashing. I could then reconnect without any issues, although the 20hrs time penalty should, in theory, be in effect. When I exited the server after the last sortie (at lives 1.14) the penalty was already down to ~17.5 hrs. So, how does this time penalty manifest itself, and when does it go into full effect? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but doesn't the 20hrs penalty mean that you can't fly for 20hrs, i.e. "Grounded" as the manual says?

Edited by Raven109

7 minutes ago, Raven109 said:

@=KG76=DomyWis thanks for the detailed explanation, however what's confusing is that the penalty is not applied immediately. For example, during the sortie right after the one where I was killed (when lives=0.94) I disconnected due to the game crashing. I could then reconnect without any issues, although the 20hrs time penalty should, in theory, be in effect. When I exited the server after the last sortie (at lives 1.14) the penalty was already down to ~17.5 hrs. So, how does this time penalty manifest itself, and when does it go into full effect? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but doesn't the 20hrs penalty mean that you can't fly for 20hrs, i.e. "Grounded" as the manual says?

After you were KILLED and then came back in a 109, were you on a team with 15 fewer players than the enemy?

If so, the server allows players to spawn on smaller teams regardless of a time penalty or not.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

After you were KILLED and then came back in a 109, were you on a team with 15 fewer players than the enemy?

If so, the server allows players to spawn on smaller teams regardless of a time penalty or not.

Right, and that makes sense. Banning players which are already at a numerical disadvantage will probably make a small team even smaller in no time. Blue team was probably at a disadvantage, can't recall exactly, but will pay more attention to this in the future. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

=KG76=DomyWis
13 minutes ago, Raven109 said:

Right, and that makes sense. Banning players which are already at a numerical disadvantage will probably make a small team even smaller in no time. Blue team was probably at a disadvantage, can't recall exactly, but will pay more attention to this in the future. Thanks.

Your death was at 11.10.2021 20:36:35

swsYOvM.png

Team counts at this moment in time were:
29 Allies - 30 Axis

In this situation when an allied pilot dies they lose 0.96 lives and an Axis pilot loses 1.0 lives when they die.

They were essentially balanced so either side would lose close to 1.0 lives.

5 minutes ago, =KG76=DomyWis said:

Team counts at this moment in time were:
29 Allies - 30 Axis

OK, but if the teams were balanced, how come the time penalty didn't go into effect right after the pilot getting killed, and I could still take-off shortly after.

Killed at 20:36:35, spawned back in at 20:41:38, which seems to match just a 5min penalty.

=KG76=DomyWis
30 minutes ago, Raven109 said:

OK, but if the teams were balanced, how come the time penalty didn't go into effect right after the pilot getting killed, and I could still take-off shortly after.

Killed at 20:36:35, spawned back in at 20:41:38, which seems to match just a 5min penalty.

What was said here, if smaller team is greatly unbalanced the death penalty timer is voided to allow disadvantaged team a chance to fight back.

1 hour ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

Perhaps there was never a time penalty applied to your sortie in which you died (started @ 11.10.2021 19:59:39), and your sortie in which you suffered a disconnection  (started @ 11.10.2021 20:41:38) triggered this instead?

8 minutes ago, =KG76=DomyWis said:

Perhaps there was never a time penalty applied to your sortie in which you died (started @ 11.10.2021 19:59:39), and your sortie in which you suffered a disconnection  (started @ 11.10.2021 20:41:38) triggered this instead?

The sortie at 11.10.2021 20:41:38 was really uneventful. Got to the enemy ground positions, bombed, strafed and then on the way home the game crashed while just cruising.

I do check the profile page in-between spawns, to see which plane is available, and I think I only noticed the 17.5 hrs timer after ending my last sortie. I didn't notice it before that. The last sortie ended in me being pounced and damaged by a P-51, and while trying to evade, the mission ended. Initially I assumed that the penalty was given because the server somehow considered that I had disconnected while being attacked, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

=KG76=DomyWis

Are you sure you saw 17.5 hours? Because it is also possible to get a 10 minute ban and kick from the server if you ignore the overlimit message on an airfield
sJlNlKH.png

It would look the same as a ban you would get for 20 hours, but the time is significantly smaller:

I5pUKUV.png

IRRE_golgoth21

Hello,

Thank you for this huge team work. TAW is a must for any team.

Though, i would like to know why parachute killing is permited ? It is very enraging to see this absolute lack of fair play.

Edited by IRRE_golgoth21
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, =KG76=DomyWis said:

Are you sure you saw 17.5 hours? Because it is also possible to get a 10 minute ban and kick from the server if you ignore the overlimit message on an airfield

It would look the same as a ban you would get for 20 hours, but the time is significantly smaller:

Yes, I am sure. I was a bit surprised when I saw such a large value, because it didn't fit any of the rules within the manual, given that I was already flying within the penalty period and was not killed in the last sortie. Unfortunately I didn't get a screenshot at that time. I never got kicked from the server, when the 17.5hrs limit was in effect. If it ever happens again I'll be sure to document it better.

I did get other short kicks/bans - i.e. for trying to take off before receiving the message that I was allowed to take off, or for choosing a plane that was not available in my hangar, or because there weren't enough slots for me to join.

JG4_Moltke1871
3 hours ago, IRRE_golgoth21 said:

Hello,

Though, i would like to know why parachute killing is permited ? It is very enraging to see this absolute lack of fair play.

It’s permitted because the server clan like to do.

https://tacticalairwar.com/pilot_sortie.php?id=28578&name==LG=Padre

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IRRE_golgoth21 said:

Hello,

It’s permitted because @=LG=Kathonthe server owner likes to do.

• Haha 1

SV7_Zommer

The next campaign is over. Red, as always with a victory. Blue, who covered us stormtroopers and was to the end - thank you. See you in six months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Polybymanus
5 hours ago, IRRE_golgoth21 said:

Hello,

From the perspective of chute killers; the only honorable way to go is down with your ship. It is the cowards way out to abandon your plane.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone,

maybe it is time to make the server easier? Literally bored to play 50% of days with only 40..50 players on the server (EU prime time).

Maybe Techno chat [on]?

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

-=RedS=-Str1ke

Missions must be shortly 1 hour fo eastern front, and 1/5 hour for western , then gameplay will be more dynamic...

=U2=Alman
6 минут назад, Gachimuchi сказал:

Missions must be shortly 1 hour fo eastern front, and 1/5 hour for western , then gameplay will be more dynamic...

three hours is the optimal time. the bombers will not be interested

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

12 часов назад, SV7_Zommer сказал:

The next campaign is over. Red, as always with a victory. Blue, who covered us stormtroopers and was to the end - thank you. See you in six months.

This is a great campaign. I've just started to play couple of days before it has finished. Why the period between campaigns is that long? In the manual it was written 2 months, but here in your post you are saying it is 6 months? Why do you need the period at all? Can it be a round-robin one after the other?

Thanks again for this excellent work!

=KG76=DomyWis

Continuing off of the efforts made by @[TWB]Pand back in 2017...

RIP

IL2 Server Overview and Activity Trending

Died May 06, 2019, 08:54:28 AM

Here is the data of players for allies and axis on TAW #26 (TAW 2.0 II) (Western Front)

STARTED 2021-09-24 06:00:00+02:00 (6:00 PM Central European time)
ENDED 2021-10-13 20:57:00+02:00 (8:57 PM Central European time)

Duration: 19 days

Scan interval of data was once every minute

qQnhdgO.png

And as a courtesy I include the raw data for anyone to play around with:
Bonus information: Temperature and Clouds per mission 😁

Preview

Pk9bnIJ.png

Online version:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s1fXNwrNayfWTMrTmWq6lFDkZypdPBMsRWfHF0A646s/edit?usp=sharing

csv file (text editor readable): as an attachment to this post

TAW26_PlayerCounts.zip

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard
1 hour ago, =KG76=DomyWis said:

RIP

IL2 Server Overview and Activity Trending

Died May 06, 2019, 08:54:28 AM

But it's still working, only in TAW it's been bugged and doesn't distinguish axis and allied teams, though it gives proper numbers for whole population. For the other servers it works ok.

• Like 1

Do I see it only that TAW is not so popular as before? Maybe it is because of the Western campaign. It is the first time where I did it almost 100%. Usually I skip it totally.

Edited by Norz

FTC_Prancing

Have been said many times that TAW doesn't need to be extremely popular, it is intended to be the way it is.. i saw full or almost full server every day for the first week of TAW, then as usual some people fly less often, pretty sure numbers will be even higher for the upcoming classic TAW, we should focus on balancing the teams instead of filling the server 100% for 24/7. 

Edited by FTC_Prancing
  • Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

New western TAW campaign starts on Friday 29.10 at about 16:00 UTC. 

We would like to fly it one more time on the same conditions but this time players change side. It will be kind of test if players or plane set has greater impact on the final result of the campaign. There are some squadrons who fly exclusively only on one side (that's ok) but I hope most of us will fly on the opposite side this time. 

Some fixes:

• All advanced aircraft are moved to new pilot's hangar after map rotation, so you will not lose adv aircraft collected during the previous map.  Before only adv aircraft with the same name were moved.
  • Checking if Me 262 lands on the origin airfield fixed.

Registration is open.

Good luck :salute:

P.S. I had some questions about airfield damaging and repairing process during last campaign so for those who would like to drill down into details here is the explanation:

1. At the beginning of the mission every airfield has it's own initial damage level AF_init_dmg and supply level AF_SL. 

Example: an airfield was attacked during previous mission so in the current mission it has AF_init_dmg = 40% (destroyed 20 object out of 50)  and AF_SL = 30%

2. During current mission this airfield was attacked again and pilots destroyed another 19 objects. After mission a new damage level is calculated as: AF_new_dmg = (20 + 19)/50 = 78%. Then difference between initial and new damage level is calculated as: AF_diff_dmg = AF_new_dmg - AF_init_dmg = 78% - 40% = 38%. Then new supply level is calculated as AF_SL = AF_SL * (1 - AF_diff_dmg) = 30% * (1 - 0,38) => 18%

3. Next step is the calculation when this airfield will be repaired as:

- if AF_diff_dmg <= 20% then airfield will be repaired after this mission.

- if AF_diff_dmg > 20% or AF_new_dmg > 75%  then airfield will be repaired after next mission. (will not be repaired after this mission)

- if AF_new_dmg > 85% then airfield will be repaired after two next missions. (will not be repaired after this and next mission)

So this example airfield will not be repaired after this mission.

4. Next step is calculation final damage of the airfield for the next mission as. If AF_new_dmg > 75% then AF_init_dmg=100% (all objects are destroyed) for the next mission else AF_init_dmg = AF_new_dmg.

This airfield will have 100% damage and supply level=18% in the next mission.

5. If airfield can be repaired it uses it's supplies to do it. In general the more airfield is destroyed the faster it's being repaired using less supplies. 

In case of any questions or suggested improvements don't hesitate to PM me.

Edited by Kathon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

FTC_HardeKoning

This ''Oh please switch sides, we'll ask you so so sweet'' is for sure not going to work haha, but it's cute to see LG try something new.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

=TH=DenisikTru

Blue pilots, are you ready to go over to the side of the allies so that there are no more tears about the imbalance?)

ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket
2 minutes ago, =TH=Denisik said:

Blue pilots, are you ready to go over to the side of the allies so that there are no more tears about the imbalance?)

Sure....

335th_GRSwaty

We will fly for USAAF/RAF!

Pilots are: 22 Allies vs 61 Axis until now

Edited by 335th_GRSwaty

19 hours ago, Kathon said:

4. Next step is calculation final damage of the airfield for the next mission as. If AF_new_dmg > 75% then AF_init_dmg=100% for the next mission else AF_init_dmg = AF_new_dmg.

Does it mean that AF with 100% damage has at this moment 11 buildings? (For the mentioned example).

Edited by Norz

12 hours ago, Norz said:

Does it mean that AF with 100% damage has at this moment 11 buildings? (For the mentioned example).

No, in this case when AF damage level exceeds 75% threshold then all buildings and AA are destroyed (100% damage). 

Tactical Hair War rides again. I just registered with the allies and it took about 25 tries to get a guy who didn't have an Elvis hairstyle. Last time with the axis mob it was a fetish with moustaches :biggrin:

Jokes aside nice one to the TAW team, hope to get more time in on this one :good: