=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Posted (edited)
4) To win it is better to shoot down the bombers  BEFORE they reach and bomb the target, not after they completed the task.

unfortunately we always get the warning of their presence post bombing run when we are 10 grids away . i never saw a warning like " bombers approaching at high level from grid number etc " as we see in combat box .   

Edited by adler_68

59 minutes ago, adler_68 said:

4) To win it is better to shoot down the bombers  BEFORE they reach and bomb the target, not after they completed the task.

unfortunately we always get the warning of their presence post bombing run when we are 10 grids away . i never saw a warning like " bombers approaching at high level from grid number etc " as we see in combat box .   

It is also your job as a fighter to spot them. To rely on ground spotters to do the job for you is a very bad way to protect your troops. Go inside enemy lines and intercept the enemy in route … Not when they have already dropped or are about to drop their load. That is the correct way to do it and it is only done by the minority of the fighters in TAW. The vast majority just sits on top of the troops like flies around shit; attacking the bombers after they already dropped the bombs which is just useless at that point. Every TAW I see this behavior … Go like 10 to 20km behind enemy lines and not a single friendly can be seen lol.

Posted (edited)

Spotting bombers

The Germans had spotters all over the areas  leading up to the industrial heartland and major cities followed by rows of AAA and warning posts to scramble the fighter JG's . The Fighters then had to vector in on the given presumed route within 15 mn approx . The bombers used decoy flights to confuse and fool the enemy fighters heading in the wrong direction . None of the JG's took off and went around at random zig zaging vast areas looking for bombers . If we are to follow the concept of just following the presumed route taken when without any prior warning off any kind  which can be took off , spotted in areas , close to area grid number etc. which is realistic and doable with the present editor MCU's we will end up frustrated and its a wicked and unnecessary waste of time .  In the famous movie 12 oclock high there are real footage clips taken from Capra's documentary on the bombing run by the Memphis Bell on its last sortie and you see how the AAA stops and the B17 gunners are bracing for the arrival of the BF's at any moment . I kindly request TAW administrators to consider this point in future plans .   

Edited by adler_68
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, adler_68 said:

Spotting bombers

The Germans had spotters all over the areas  leading up to the industrial heartland and major cities followed by rows of AAA and warning posts to scramble the fighter JG's . The Fighters then had to vector in on the given presumed route within 15 mn approx . The bombers used decoy flights to confuse and fool the enemy fighters heading in the wrong direction . None of the JG's took off and went around at random zig zaging vast areas looking for bombers . If we are to follow the concept of just following the presumed route taken when without any prior warning off any kind  which can be took off , spotted in areas , close to area grid number etc. which is realistic and doable with the present editor MCU's we will end up frustrated and its a wicked and unnecessary waste of time .  In the famous movie 12 oclock high there are real footage clips taken from Capra's documentary on the bombing run by the Memphis Bell on its last sortie and you see how the AAA stops and the B17 gunners are bracing for the arrival of the BF's at any moment . I kindly request TAW administrators to consider this point in future plans .   

you talk about the strategic bombing campaign. thats true for this point. but we are in a tactical scenario. i disabled all game messages and the hud because its more confusing than helpful (follow messages around and always coming to late, instead of flying a particular mission). recon and communication is king to intercept bomber formations. i really like the delayed messages. it give only a hint but it never replaces hide&seek game of any tactical scenario. thats some kind of realistic tho. no ground unit was able to directly communicate with the fighters, so it needs time to get messages up. most off all the bomber pilots on taw need the deception and the protection of attacking an target unseen. they have the hardest job and they are the most vulnerable. @Riksenis right most players hanging around over the target and do nothing. and when they have a contact you can see a shitload of fighters attacking one target and sometimes ramming and teamkilling themself to death 😄

5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

You can go check the numbers to see how many 262s were flown on TAW. I already found a pilot who flew 9 transport missions in a row in order to unlock the 262. I think that says plenty about its performance.

I didn't whine about anything, I'm too busy building Combat Box maps and running that server to be playing TAW, much less 'whining' about it. I was offering advice as someone who's currently running one of the most popular IL2 servers and where we've had extensive experience trying to incorporate the 262 in a way that isn't game breaking. I've clearly stated why I think the 262 is overpowered: it drains SA, is unbeatable when flown well, and can turn the tide of a fight just by being in-theatre. But go ahead, make an argument using words I didn't say.

when you dont fly on taw please stop criticize the dev for their decisions. i mean you are the admin of cb. ask yourself: would you like kathon coming in your forum and talking shit about your server without taking any round there?

and yes the 262 needs more balancing. everybody can see that. this was just the first run of an western front taw. i'm pretty sure we all will experience a lot of improvement in the next campaigns.

Edited by JG4_Ammi
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, combat_pilot said:

So you have to look after them without warning messages, so to say at their probable approach lines !

Posted (edited)

Intercept bombers is not easy , but you can use some tips.... about approach lines

For example, in the mind of the bomber the best way is not street ahead... they usually made some plain.

You must think what factors are interesting for bombers...

like wind direction.... the bombers do better bomb runs if do aligned to wind direction...

other interesting aspects can be posible references on ground , you suposse they can use for navigate.

Another thing can be ... consider logical they try evitate other posible objective that can alert about their position.

and at the end some lucky.

I think my percentage maybe is around 30% of succes  , is not too bad.

,) 

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Limiting lives of a player is pointless, when you already limit the planes per player. Because with infinite lives, you keep players in the game vs. having them leave the server. 

People on this server like to fly together, so "sending some of them home from the playing ground" while the rest of their friends are still flying can make the entire group change the server.

1 hour ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

Intercept bombers is not easy , but you can use some tips.... about approach lines

For example, in the mind of the bomber the best way is not street ahead... they usually made some plain.

You must think what factors are interesting for bombers...

like wind direction.... the bombers do better bomb runs if do aligned to wind direction...

other interesting aspects can be posible references on ground , you suposse they can use for navigate.

Another thing can be ... consider logical they try evitate other posible objective that can alert about their position.

and at the end some lucky.

I think my percentage maybe is around 30% of succes  , is not too bad.

,) 

You would be surprised Tumu on how many bombers just go straight to target lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you once again for your time and effort for yet another TAW campaign . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Riksen said:

You would be surprised Tumu on how many bombers just go straight to target lol.

TRUE!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I thought exactly this on my last bombing run, so i went the long way, taking an hour and a half to get to target.

Then i got nuked because a city spotted me. was lovely. Love this server.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JG4_Ammi said:

when you dont fly on taw please stop criticize the dev for their decisions. i mean you are the admin of cb. ask yourself: would you like kathon coming in your forum and talking shit about your server without taking any round there?

and yes the 262 needs more balancing. everybody can see that. this was just the first run of an western front taw. i'm pretty sure we all will experience a lot of improvement in the next campaigns.

I was offering perspective and suggestions. If you'd like to find the post where I was "talking shit" I will happily apologize. I think TAW is awesome and I want it to be as successful as possible. I have a good relationship with the admins and we sometimes exchange server / map tips.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Hunting for the bombers 

It will take all off the  2.30Hrs of the mission to take a guess from which airfield they took off "if they did" and head to one of a few large targets .  Then there is no decoy here because no one is going to sacrifice his time flying knowhere most probably so the bombers might take a secondary route to fool the attackers which happened all the time . So since there are no spotters outside major targets in this game which is not realistic what do you do ? In solo mode zig zag all over the map and then land at base empty handed feeling utterly stupid ? If you are part off a squad then thats different , send out everyone fanning "midway style" presumed routes and communicate by team speak only if you want to keep the target to yourselves then thats fine . Nobody in TAW is going to send a message out " hey guys they are in this grid heading that way " though i have seen it in another server even warning that they have cover  . Sky is the limit .      

Edited by adler_68
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, adler_68 said:

Hunting for the bombers 

It will take all off the  2.30Hrs of the mission to take a guess from which airfield they took off "if they did" and head to one of a few large targets .  Then there is no decoy here because no one is going to sacrifice his time flying knowhere most probably so the bombers might take a secondary route to fool the attackers which happened all the time . So since there are no spotters outside major targets in this game which is not realistic what do you do ? In solo mode zig zag all over the map and then land at base empty handed feeling utterly stupid ? If you are part off a squad then thats different , send out everyone fanning "midway style" presumed routes and communicate by team speak only if you want to keep the target to yourselves then thats fine . Nobody in TAW is going to send a message out " hey guys they are in this grid heading that way " though i have seen it in another server even warning that they have cover  . Sky is the limit .      

It is not rocket science to "guess" where they will be taking off from. If you read the rules of the server and evaluate priority targets, usually ground attackers go first for:

- Trains;

- Bridges;

- Tanks.

Since most will not bother to climb or plan an alternative route, you can bet that most will take off from the closest available base. From there you trace a line to the target and voila! You see, to be an effective fighter you have to be an INTERCEPTOR and not a REACTIONARY FORCE ONLY. You have to prevent bombers for attacking and not react to them after they killed your troops. If they drop their ordinance, it means you have failed your mission, even if you kill him afterwards. To properly intercept you have to fly BEHIND enemy lines, take risks, and, most importantly, BE PATIENT. It seems like you lack the latter and you will probably end up being just another "fighter" pilot that hovers on top of the target waiting for the first bomb to explode or the flak to start firing. It would be better to make yourself useful as bomber instead then.

"Nobody in TAW is going to send a message out " hey guys they are in this grid heading that way " though i have seen it in another server even warning that they have cover"

There are a lot of guys that actually do this and, believe it or not, a lot of us coordinate even in chat but if you want better communication, join TeamSpeak during your flights. There are a lot of people flying together in TAW TS3.

The pilot is the limit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

In general, beginner pilots will have a lot of trouble in spotting and identifying targets. It's also expected that they (us?) will have more difficulties in navigating and most will fly on their own, without a squad supporting them. I think it is perfectly acceptable for these players to stay lower and closer to defensive targets, where the AAs will help them on most of these tasks and where they can disrupt the bomber runs and make them pay for their attack. It also allows bailing out in safety, which is an added advantage. I find that much better and realistic than suicidal attacks on enemy AFs just to get "that kill" before another death.

But as we progress in our learning curve, we are expected to  start doing more what Riksen explained: fly deeper in enemy territory, stop the bombers before they arrive, spot, lead and keep the team informed on the location of enemy formations (JG4_Widukind is one of the best members in the community in that sense), force their fighters to gain altitude before they start moving to the front and keep the enemies in constant stress on their long commutes. Many of these crucial tasks will not show on any statistics but they make a huge difference in how the campaign progresses.

• Upvote 5

On 3/25/2020 at 10:48 AM, Alonzo said:

You can go check the numbers to see how many 262s were flown on TAW. I already found a pilot who flew 9 transport missions in a row in order to unlock the 262. I think that says plenty about its performance.

I didn't whine about anything, I'm too busy building Combat Box maps and running that server to be playing TAW, much less 'whining' about it. I was offering advice as someone who's currently running one of the most popular IL2 servers and where we've had extensive experience trying to incorporate the 262 in a way that isn't game breaking. I've clearly stated why I think the 262 is overpowered: it drains SA, is unbeatable when flown well, and can turn the tide of a fight just by being in-theatre. But go ahead, make an argument using words I didn't say.

I am not sure what the first sentence proves other than the rule limiting what aircraft you can fly is a farce. I supposed anyone can fly around in circles until it is unlock. Then again, I do not have a problem with limiting aircraft as i stated numerous times. Whether you do a historical based campaign or a historical campaign, it "should" be based on relative numbers available. I think it is extreme to have anyone start at "0." Unless, you are a fighter and you want to fly a ground attacker. There, common sense should dictate that you may not have access(really not at all if you identify yourself as a fighter pilot). 

If the 262 is an unbeatable aircraft then the developers did something wrong. It wasn't unbeatable in real life. I mean in real life a good pilot is going to do well in any aircraft. Also, I stated numerous times the number of possible 262 should be based on relative numbers. Assuming equal numbers, then this is based on 40. How many K4s, G14s, G6s, A8s, D9s etc were flown relative to the number of 262s. If you have just 6 on the server that would represent 15%. I do not have the time nor the patience at this time to research the total number of planes the Luftwaffe operated during the deployment of the Me 262 but I would be surprise if that number was greater than 15%. 

I was responding to what you had written to me. If I want to elaborate on my own point of view I am free to do so. This is a discussion board, not a debate society. So, relax and continue producing great content on your server. I assure you we all appreciate your time and effort. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SCG_Vieira said:

In general, beginner pilots will have a lot of trouble in spotting and identifying targets. It's also expected that they (us?) will have more difficulties in navigating and most will fly on their own, without a squad supporting them. I think it is perfectly acceptable for these players to stay lower and closer to defensive targets, where the AAs will help them on most of these tasks and where they can disrupt the bomber runs and make them pay for their attack. It also allows bailing out in safety, which is an added advantage. I find that much better and realistic than suicidal attacks on enemy AFs just to get "that kill" before another death.

But as we progress in our learning curve, we are expected to  start doing more what Riksen explained: fly deeper in enemy territory, stop the bombers before they arrive, spot, lead and keep the team informed on the location of enemy formations (JG4_Widukind is one of the best members in the community in that sense), force their fighters to gain altitude before they start moving to the front and keep the enemies in constant stress on their long commutes. Many of these crucial tasks will not show on any statistics but they make a huge difference in how the campaign progresses.

Agree.

OR even better:

People could finally leave each other alone not trying to tell how wrong others are playing this game. This is just in general coming from the past few years of forum experience not specifically addressed to anyone.

If I printed all comments calling 'me' names for my choice of side, plane, playstyle (not specifically me, but people like me) I wouldn't have enough wall to put them on. 

I fly blue - I'm an a$$hole not balancing (I still fly blue if outnumbered. I know it's usually not the case but it happens)
I fly alone - I'm an a$$hole not coordinating for glory (I just like to keep my free time the less co-ordinated as possible, do not want to adjust to other people's fee time in my free time) 
I fly high - I'm an earth orbiting a$$hole not participating in mission objectives (I fly alone, but like to bring the plane home if possible and more altitude is more safety)
I often look at my stats and I like to see them improving - I'm a statwhore a$$hole

My perspective - I simply have a hobby which I would like to do as I want (of course I'm an egoist a$$hole thinking only about myself)

Before starting to search my stats, I don't fly TAW anymore as the conversation on this forum and somtimes on the server is often disgusting and I wouldn't like to be a part of that. Exactly this is the reason that still this forum is the best place for this post.

EDIT: I have the me262 since it was released and I have never even tried it, have not even sit in to check the cockpit - I beleive there is finally something I am not an a$$hole for (but others surely are - this is sarcasm, just in case)

Edited by HunDread
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

gg on the campaign everyone. it was short but fun

any pointers on how to fly the pony? i can fly it as a fighter bomber really well, but in a dogfight im garbage. everytime i engage i get the snot beat outa me. my basic understanding on how to dogfight after this campaign is:
speed is key in the pony
BnZ
split-s if caught off guard by 109

thats really it, i stall constantly, i use a lot of rudder as well. any tips?

2 minutes ago, 361st_Cooper* said:

any pointers on how to fly the pony? i can fly it as a fighter bomber really well, but in a dogfight im garbage. everytime i engage i get the snot beat outa me. my basic understanding on how to dogfight after this campaign is:
speed is key in the pony
BnZ

Set up a quick solo mission and do some aggressive flying in the P-51 alone to get an idea where the edges of its flight envelope are. Make sure you take less than 75% fuel, better yet less than 50%. Then try QMB's with progressively harder opponents. Choose the early G-series of 109s; they will provide you with a turning challenge but won't be able to run away form you.

In some planes in this game you can pull the joystick back all the way in a turn and not stall, the P-51 is not one of those planes. You really should use only 50-75% of your elevator range; pulling beyond that in a fast turn might cause you to black-out, even with the g-suit; pulling beyond that in a medium or slow turn will cause you to stall. In IL2-1946 some players set up a completely different joystick profile when they flew the Mustang.

• Upvote 1

I'm staring down the barrel of at least another 10 days in lockdown here in Hong Kong, any chance of starting new campaign ASAP?

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

This TAW free existence is seriously missed opportunity for good participation numbers here....

Edited by Cpt_Siddy
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Darbzy said:

I'm staring down the barrel of at least another 10 days in lockdown here in Hong Kong, any chance of starting new campaign ASAP?

I'm in lockdown in Finland, however fully able to work from home, whitch is kinda good, kinda annoying

4 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

This TAW free existence is seriously missed opportunity for good participation numbers here....

Red players are at home so TAW can't start, simple as that.

• Haha 5

I hope next TAW Campaign starts at 1941, following by the years until 1945. 

• Upvote 1

I've made a short video from the last TAW test. I guarantee it's the best video that I've made since it's the second video ever made by me and I used a video editor this time.

• Haha 11
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, 361st_Cooper* said:

speed is key in the pony
BnZ

try it with 65% fuel only. When the reartank is empty the balance is perfect!

I don't know if it was post before but how do you think about longer lasting maps (4 to 5/6 hours)?

I know that I'm not a high flying hours pilot (exp. for the last campaigns) but I find it a bit difficult for planing or if you mist the map start for flying a map. You can only see the targets and flying. No time for planing, srumling, make high and make a cooardinating assault/defent. It could be good to have a more mix of pilots. Every pilot should land at the end (then kick of the server an get a change for others?) and there is a possibilty to have another one to join the server that have not a change before.

Greetings and good flight

JG4_Oxyd

48 minutes ago, JG4_Oxyd said:

I don't know if it was post before but how do you think about longer lasting maps (4 to 5/6 hours)?

I know that I'm not a high flying hours pilot (exp. for the last campaigns) but I find it a bit difficult for planing or if you mist the map start for flying a map. You can only see the targets and flying. No time for planing, srumling, make high and make a cooardinating assault/defent. It could be good to have a more mix of pilots. Every pilot should land at the end (then kick of the server an get a change for others?) and there is a possibilty to have another one to join the server that have not a change before.

Greetings and good flight

JG4_Oxyd

I didn't understand you completely  but i think maps (specially after this Western Campaign) should have more hours. Bodenplatte map is way bigger than the others and we didn't have really sections as Eastern TAW. For what I've seen bombing runs were mainly planned and realized in the beginning of each map (running on the deck, dropping and rtb) or there were long bombing runs to depots which no one was really interested in intercepting (lack of alerts before reaching the depots, too far from the frontlines, depots didn't represent a really important target to defend, strategically speaking). The only problem I see prolonging the map time is the dynamicity, there would be more time to properly destroy defenses and tanks (which rarely were wiped out), the frontline would take longer to change and/or change less than  we are used to. I don't think it's a bad idea if it's up to 4 hours, taking account how big Bodenplatte map is.

Posted (edited)

I like @Riksen 's suggestion for the next Western TAW planeset, so I also wanted to participate and give a bit of my own take to it ^^

At least currently I wouldn't like to have to separate the allied playerbase into US and British, maybe once after all of the Battle of Normandy planes are released together with the Hurricane collector, but I feel like currently it would do more harm than good. Also in the future once we have all these planes available, it would be interesting to have a transfer mechanic, say you want to switch to US or Britain in the middle of the campaign, you would be able to do so but you wouldn't have plane hangar transferred, you would have to earn them from the basic +1 ones.

I have been thinking of what could be an interesting planeset with only the current planes available, so I came up with 3 types of planesets for LG team to take in consideration :)

Option #1: Similar TAW to last one, only BoBP (+ A-5/U17 as Fw 190 F-3 for mid 1944 before the F-8 came) but with a more historical approach to the planeset:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Option #2: Similar to option 1 but with a bit more relaxed on the historical accuracy, so it could be a more interesting TAW experience, a more staggered plane types introduction to give a bit spotlight to the "underdogs" and also last map being a bit more of "battle of the top dogs" (P-51 150 oct widely available, DC K-4 as +1).

Spoiler

unknown.png

Option #3: A huge Western Front TAW campaign going from early 1941 to 1945, comprising of 11 maps, being a bit relaxed in historical accuracy given we lack a good amount of early-mid war allied planes but well, I think it could be quite fun ^^ Once the Hurricane and Battle of Normandy is completed this sort of mega campaign could be really good. I personally would like to have this as the next TAW to see how it goes (I suggest to right click the picture and open it in a new tab to see it better).

Spoiler

unknown.png

Let me know what you think, between all of us we can come up with a nice campaign layout and planeset. o7

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

I've made a short video from the last TAW test. I guarantee it's the best video that I've made since it's the second video ever made by me and I used a video editor this time.

And then people complain about Pe-2 gunners!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Let me know what you think, between all of us we can come up with a nice campaign layout and planeset. o7

They all don't solve (also historically) the fact that the P-47 should be the main attacker after Normandy invasion. The P-51D 150oct being limited o the rearmost airfields is a good idea (map needs to last more than 2h in my opinion), also Tempest could be reduced to a limited number depending on the map of choice as they weren't largerly used until the end of the war. I think limiting numbers of 262s to 10% of Axis playerbase might be ok, it all depends how many were lost during this Campaign.

I came up with an interesting planeset (I need to research just about Tempests (numbers, date of introduction/combat and engine) and D-9 (numbers and date of introduction/combat). It's a mixture to what I discussed with Riksen, I need still to build it up and it should be the most historically correct planeset.

"Would be interesting to have the DC engine only starting from March and foward and then pushing back the 262 during Winter 44, also adding P-51D 150 oct starting from September (unlocking after the regular one), I'm not sure if G-14 should also be place on March until the end of war, if it was still being extensively used then I don't see why not. This would bring more diversity and also put LW pilots under similar conditions VVS ones face on the Eastern Campaign. I think Kathon will need to work hard to figure out 262s number, but I think something as 1 for every 15/20 red pilots during the winter and 1 every 10 red pilots in the last map would reflect better the proportion, also making fuel jet depots and/or the 262 airfield destroyable would be a huge upgrade for the campaign".

Edited by SCG_Gustav_Hagel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SCG_Gustav_Hagel said:

they all don't solve (also historically) the fact that the P-47 should be the main attacker after Normandy invasion.

I came up with an interesting planeset (I need to research just about Tempests (numbers, date of introduction/combat and engine) and D-9 (numbers and date of introduction/combat). It's a mixture to what I discussed with Riksen, I need still to build it up and it should be the most historically correct planeset.

Would you like access to the table I made in Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BiM6bx5YQ7XYejHvMqBlpjg-pInLtJ-iW_WnVoEcwo4/edit?usp=sharing)? You can tweak the numbers around so that will save you some time with the creation part. If so, send me your email and I'll give you rights to edit it.

S!

Edited by Riksen

4 minutes ago, Riksen said:

Would you like access to the table I made in Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BiM6bx5YQ7XYejHvMqBlpjg-pInLtJ-iW_WnVoEcwo4/edit?usp=sharing)? You can tweak the numbers around so that will save you some time with the creation part. If so, send me your email and I'll give you rights to edit it.

S!

I was going to ask you that 👍

Cheers 

12 minutes ago, SCG_Gustav_Hagel said:

I was going to ask you that 👍

Cheers 

Rgr. Send me your email in PM.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SCG_Gustav_Hagel said:

They all don't solve (also historically) the fact that the P-47 should be the main attacker after Normandy invasion. The P-51D 150oct being limited o the rearmost airfields is a good idea (map needs to last more than 2h in my opinion), also Tempest could be reduced to a limited number depending on the map of choice as they weren't largerly used until the end of the war. I think limiting numbers of 262s to 10% of Axis playerbase might be ok, it all depends how many were lost during this Campaign.

Yeah, what makes the P-38 really popular as an attacker is the big bombload it can carry, but that's due to the extra pylons modification which was a field mod from a squadron in Italy iirc that's why I had it blocked in the 1st option.  With the P-38 capped to it's historical bomb load the P-47 has the payload advantage, by just 500lb but well it's something ^^. Also if the new DM manages to correct Thunderbolt's resistance I could see it becoming popular as attacker. We could have an extra P-47 or two instead of P-38 in the attacker section.

I'm kinda hesitant in adding the BoN planes yet since it will take months for them to come out, and will be 1 or 2 at a time each 3 months or so. So we should have the hangar numbers more or less balanced in quantity with what we have now and adjust them as the BoN planes come out one at a time.

2 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Yeah, what makes the P-38 really popular as an attacker is the big bombload it can carry, but that's due to the extra pylons modification which was a field mod from a squadron in Italy iirc that's why I had it blocked in the 1st option.  With the P-38 capped to it's historical bomb load the P-47 has the payload advantage, by just 500lb but well it's something ^^. Also if the new DM manages to correct Thunderbolt's resistance I could see it becoming popular as attacker. We could have an extra P-47 or two instead of P-38 in the attacker section.

I'm kinda hesitant in adding the BoN planes yet since it will take months for them to come out, and will be 1 or 2 at a time each 3 months or so. So we should have the hangar numbers more or less balanced in quantity with what we have now and adjust them as the BoN planes come out one at a time.

Do you want to help me build a historical accurate planeset with BoN and BoBP?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

We could have an extra P-47 or two instead of P-38 in the attacker section.

Rather than "instead", the P-47 should be "in addition to", and as a +1 Attacker option, IMO.  As we discussed earlier in this thread, the Eastern Front TAW campaigns had +1 Attacker options for both sides, it is just as reasonable for the 9th Air Force to have a +1 Attacker option in the P-47, to go along with the P-38 as an Attacker.

Colonel Seth McKee, 370th Fighter Group C.O., is quoted as "I recall that when the weather broke, it was bright and clear.  I could take off and I'd be making a run on a target.  I could look down there and I'd see my target.  I'd look over here and I could see our airbase.  We were that close.  It would take about fifteen or twenty minutes to fly a mission."  Talking about his P-38 experiences during the Ardennes counter-offensive, the 370th Fighter Group's three P-38 squadrons (401st, 402nd, and 485th Fighter Squadrons) based at Florennes, Belgium.

jugsoverthe-battleofthe-bulge-28-728.jpg.56846151304dff1813f99367b3d6b9b4.jpg

For the Eastern Front TAW campaigns, a version of the IL-2 was always available as a +1 Attacker on the maps, as was the Ju 87 always available as a +1 Attacker on all maps.  In addition, on the majority of the maps (6 out of 8), the Bf 110 also getting mixed in as an additional +1 Attacker.  If the Eastern Front TAW campaigns can have multiple Attacker options, to include both the Ju 87 and the Bf 110 as +1 on the majority of maps, then the 9th Air Force having the P-47 as +1 in addition to the P-38 as an Attacker, is not just reasonable, but should be expected, especially since I see your three options all give the Luftwaffe / Axis multiple +1 Attackers.

4 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

As was also discussed earlier, the Luftwaffe / Axis should have the Ju 52/Зm added as an option (like TAW has on the Eastern Front campaigns), especially since sixty-seven Ju 52/Зms dropped 800 Fallschirmjäger behind the U.S. Army lines during the Ardennes counter-offensive.  While after Ardennes the number of air-supply sorties was more limited, but the Ju 52/Зm was still active.

Ju52_Ardennes.jpg.cd5f441f8d022d65ddcf09e0b11826c8.jpg

Thank you for your post, and your thoughts.  o7

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1