=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

The current Kuban map may not be perfect, but I really loved how Blue by destroying and then taking Akhtyrskaya was then able to reach the sea east of Gelendzhik, encircling it and taking it with tanks. It really felt like WW2 tactics-wise, and as Luftwaffe we were able to both initiate and support the execution of that maneuvre. In my opinion, the possibility of such outcomes makes the game much more exciting vs the "attrition" gameplay where the side that has better overall product of pilot numbers and skill slowly but surely takes the terriritory from the other. 

map_nr277.thumb.jpg.650872a5082587426a547dc55d5e3caa.jpg     map_nr280.thumb.jpg.5d6c5740e3249a0cf305016c7968c84d.jpg

map_nr288.thumb.jpg.2b486b3a1adf5c79c380df1f4bdbc092.jpg    map_nr290.thumb.jpg.bacab1ebe4b50166d0a32ff6ffa2ff6f.jpg

map_nr291.thumb.jpg.7c68a3ce915602e9f7d24819b09f7553.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Slawinski said:

The current Kuban map may not be perfect, but I really loved how Blue by destroying and then taking Akhtyrskaya was then able to reach the sea east of Gelendzhik, encircling it and taking it with tanks. It really felt like WW2 tactics-wise, and as Luftwaffe we were able to both initiate and support the execution of that maneuvre. In my opinion, the possibility of such outcomes makes the game much more exciting vs the "attrition" gameplay where the side that has better overall product of pilot numbers and skill slowly but surely takes the terriritory from the other. 

The Kuban map is tailor made for the German side, given the distances between some of the key central airfields, the strength of the German level bombers (in bomb load) vs the Russian side, and the fact that paratroopers are still only used on one (i.e. the German) side.  Have to hand it to them for taking advantage so far, as they often do.

The keys of course are Krasnodar and Akhtyrskaya.  Once the German side bombed Akhtyrskaya to > 50% damaged (mission #275), they could use paratroopers to attempt to capture it, which they did in mission #277, #279, #280.  While it wasn't captured by paratroopers, it was damaged each time, and left 100% damaged and unusable for the Russian side.  This meant much longer flight times to defend Krasnodar once the tanks got close enough to close it, from Gelendzhik, Viselky or Maikop.  Once Krasnodar fell, it was easier to attack Akhtyrskaya since defenders had to fly from Gelendzhik since it was still unusable to take off from.  Once Akhtyrskaya fell, losing Gelendzhik to the German side was a foregone conclusion since it could only be resupplied from all the way across the map!  Once Gelendzhik was damaged > 50%, paratroopers were used again in mission #289, and while they didn't capture it, they damaged it so it was unusable again.  No way Russian pilots can fly across the map to destroy the attacking German tanks when they could be covered by aircraft from Akhtyrskaya nearby.

Long narrative, but it really shows the shortfall of the long distance between airfields in this map.

@=LG= - have you given any thought to adding a few "man made" airstrips using straight roads as runways in the middle and eastern portions of the Kuban map?  Or is that still not feasible given how the simulator engine treats aircraft on the ground when not at a predefined airfield?

Edited by AKA_Relent
  • Upvote 3

I thought the rules indicated, and I've always been told that if you have more than 0 but less than 1 lives, you can still fly.  Right now I have 0.78 and it says I can't fly for 24 hours.  This is the second time it's happened where I had 0.xx lives.  

Am I wrong about this?  Is the rule that if you have less than 1 life, you can't fly?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, FeuerFliegen said:

I thought the rules indicated, and I've always been told that if you have more than 0 but less than 1 lives, you can still fly.  Right now I have 0.78 and it says I can't fly for 24 hours.  This is the second time it's happened where I had 0.xx lives.  

Am I wrong about this?  Is the rule that if you have less than 1 life, you can't fly?

I'm pretty sure you were already given back the 1.0 lives, and now you are in the wait period.  You were likely at -0.78 lives after you died/were captured, but by the time you looked at your profile, as mentioned, it was already adjusted + 1.0.  You had 3.0 to start Kuban, but you've died twice and have been captured twice, so it seems logical that you were under 0.0 (depending on the balance of the teams at the time of each death/capture).

Edited by AKA_Relent

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

The Kuban map is tailor made for the German side,

Agree with all you said.

I would like to add to that, the train that appeared a few times so close to the German airbase at Timashevskaya that I only noticed it when I zoomed the map right in at that point, is close enough to be covered by the airbase flak. When I went to attack that train I was shot down before I could open my bomb doors.

I'm not sure about the flak on the Kuban map, it's sure seems to be far more effective than the previous maps, but when the targets are so close together, it becomes suicidal to even try. Hardly necessary on a map so big :) 

But that's war eh, you win some and lose some. Kuban reminds me of the previous times I have flown TAW, where the blue wave across the map was unstoppable and getting killed was given.

Overall I find it interesting to observe the efforts at balancing something that is clearly way out of balance and appears to have a mind of it's own, kind of like the villagers versus Frankenstein...TAW, "it's alive" :biggrin:

Edited by Pict

This is a Blue offensiv Map, and we have a very good Teamplay on the Blue Side With Squads and free Pilots.The best waht I see since 5 Maps. But the Map is not over now. Please check the Suply Situation on Airfields, you can see that ingame. Open the Map and push the right window{mayby u minimize}! 

You can see here all Taktikal information u need!

Lot of Pilots didn't know about that! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kuban was historically a blue defensive map, whereas Moscow and Stalingrad were blue offensive maps. But in this round of TAW blue didn't appear to take the offensive until Kuban, which I find both ironic and funny, up to a point.

The blue side on TAW has always been pretty well coordinated from what I have seen and this massive change in performance has appeared with the Kuban map, for just about exactly the reasons outlined above by @AKA_Relent

Personally I'm happy to see a bit of balance and equal opportunity, as most people quickly get put off flying when the odds are massively stacked against them and that's no fun for either side. I'm out of it this weekend, which is frustrating for me as I actually enjoy flying when my back is to the wall :) 

Not sure what difference knowing the supply situation will make now or made up till now on the Kuban map, which I would guess will be over soon. Thanks for the tip anyhow, but it was already know and used by me since day 1 and have so far completed 58 transport missions....not sure how anyone could miss it :) 

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

I noticed what appears to be a discrepancy between the plane set chart and what is actually available in the game, regarding the MC.202.

In the chart, there are two versions of the plane.  The only difference is that one excludes 20mm gunpods.  It says that the one excluding the gunpods is available for the first map only, and then the one that doesn't exclude them is available for maps 2, 3, and 4.

In the game it is the opposite.  I had the option of using 20mm gunpods on the first map, and they were not available on maps 2, 3, and 4.

It seems like the chart would be the logical correct way for it to be, as upgrades don't seem like the type of thing to be offered in the beginning and then not be available in the future.

Regardless either the chart needs to be changed, or the server's settings.

The problem with the kuban map is simply the airfield distribution, if its a line of  airfields we fight over it gets boring pretty quick. Another thing about that line aspect or airfield seperation is mutual support / points of failure the russians basically push out into a cone, which gets especially bad with Taman and Zaprovskaya being 2 root airfield with magical repairing powers next to each other.

Now as i mentioned there also aint much alternatives due to the AF distribution, the only suggestion I have to make Kuban more interesting and less of a chore is to actually cut the map in the east at the line of Visekly(Grid 334) and UST-Labinskaya(Grid 734). That way you can have the Airfields closer to each other in the area east of Novo till that point 

• Upvote 2

Hi chaps,

I'm looking to register on the server and as I like to fly either side I see I have to register twice, is there anything stopping me using the same name here? it would be awkward to have to change my steam name before connecting to the server.

thanks

You have to have different names for each side, so yes you have to change your IL2 name each time you switch.

11 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

Once Akhtyrskaya fell, losing Gelendzhik to the German side was a foregone conclusion since it could only be resupplied from all the way across the map!

Pretty sure Goering's complaint re supplying the 6th army by air was along the same lines)) Having said that, I'm all for providing such tactical opportunity for the Reds on the Stalingrad winter map (if you manage to encircle Stalingrad, the fallback line for the Blues should be far enough to make the relief difficult to achieve.

3 hours ago, ACG_Sketch-LW said:

You have to have different names for each side, so yes you have to change your IL2 name each time you switch.

Partially correct. You need to have 2 registered accounts in TAW site and you vcan change their names to match your IL2 account for when you switch so you dont really have to ever change your IL2 (in game) account.

Did I say change IL-2 accounts? Was his question about two different accounts? Look at the quote...

No, I said you have to change your IL-2 name each time you switch sides, after registering two different names (one for each side) on TAW. 

No, he was concerned about having to change his Steam name (which I assume is his IL2 name) when he wants to switch sides on TAW. No where did he mention accounts. Both of us answered by saying, "Yes, you have to change your account name."

Lets read first please, before throwing me under the bus...

Sometimes on TAW there is free Fw 190 A-3, but 30sec after starting game with that plane I got message " this plane is forbiden". 20 sec later I got kicked. How can I be sure which plane can I take? Usually not allowed planes are not selectable in beginning.

58 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

Sometimes on TAW there is free Fw 190 A-3, but 30sec after starting game with that plane I got message " this plane is forbiden". 20 sec later I got kicked. How can I be sure which plane can I take? Usually not allowed planes are not selectable in beginning.

von Tom

• Thanks 1

Until the AI tailgunners get fixed on the PE2 I promise to collide with every one I see.  I know that you can change the gunners ability and for that all will be crashed into.  700KM/h attack from a 60 degree deflection should not amount to a critical engine and flight control hit.  You PE2 pilots want to face it then reap the whirlwind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Until the AI tailgunners get fixed on the PE2 I promise to collide with every one I see.  I know that you can change the gunners ability and for that all will be crashed into.  700KM/h attack from a 60 degree deflection should not amount to a critical engine and flight control hit.  You PE2 pilots want to face it then reap the whirlwind.

heres-that-attention-you-ordered-1492229

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Image result for let the salt flow

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, ACG_Sketch-LW said:

Did I say change IL-2 accounts? Was his question about two different accounts? Look at the quote...

No, I said you have to change your IL-2 name each time you switch sides, after registering two different names (one for each side) on TAW. 

No, he was concerned about having to change his Steam name (which I assume is his IL2 name) when he wants to switch sides on TAW. No where did he mention accounts. Both of us answered by saying, "Yes, you have to change your account name."

Lets read first please, before throwing me under the bus...

Calm down mate ... Take a deep breath. I did not say he needed 2 IL2 accounts. I just said there is no need to change his IL2 name in order to fly both sides. All he need to do is change his TAW names to match his IL2 name for whichever pilot he wants to fly at that time. Let me clarify this:

1 - Assume your IL2 account name is Sketch;

2 - If Sketch wants to fly TAW for both sides, he must register one VVS pilot (lets say pilot name Sketch - matching his IL2 account name) an one LW pilot (lets say Sketch-LW) in TAW website;

3 - When he connects to the TAW server, Sketch will be able to fly as VVS at first since the name matches the VVS account registered in TAW website;

4 - Whan Sketch gets bored of the flying VVS, he can alt tab to the TAW website and, without logging out of the game server, change his VVS TAW account from Sketch to Sketch-VVS and his LW TAW account from Sketch-LW to Sketch;

5 - Alt tab back into the game and switch to the LW team by selecting a corresponding base;

6 - You will now be able to fly for the opposing side without even changing your IL2 accoing as I said, after the penalty time for switching side ends (I think it is 10 min).

PS: I wasn't trying to throw you under the bus ... Sorry if it came out that way.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

On 6/2/2019 at 3:29 PM, =LG=Kathon said:

He is not registered, so there isn't any pilot's profile. He was kicked three times from the server during that mission but eventually he was able to took off ( I will have to check why).

Did you take 100% of fuel for transport mission?

Yes that was my mistake!  For a ten minute flight I took ten minutes worth of fuel plus a little reserve!  

I have a quite tormenting question. Is it possible to soon get at least one night mission covering time from, for example, 11 to 4 am?
No one in this game did this. WOL, KOTA and other servers have never done nightly missions. Why not make one night map for one mission? This is a good experience by the way.

I understand that this will take time, so it’s not difficult for me to pay for your work, if you need to. I have a very long time and very much want to fly at night in multiplayer.

BF.thumb.png.d6f3a1429934ca4125a95d82589cb07a.png

11 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Until the AI tailgunners get fixed on the PE2 ....

It wouldn’t be quite so bad if you could kill the gunners.

One of my squad mates got killed by the belly gunner of a Pe2 when it was upside down at 50m. Joyous. 

I’m dreading the thought of AI B25 gunners. 

von Tom

ps. And just for the sake of balance - whenever I’m in a Pe2 it seems very easy for others to kill me.  Maybe that’s different server settings for you. 

13 hours ago, von_Tom said:

von Tom

I tried that, of course, but there is no such info, only generic description " on map 1; plane x 1/2, plane y 2/2, plane z 1/1, plane j 0/1" What des that mean? that 1 plane x and 1 plane j are avaliable? And do I look on right place?; https://taw.stg2.de/index.php

36 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

I tried that, of course, but there is no such info, only generic description " on map 1; plane x 1/2, plane y 2/2, plane z 1/1, plane j 0/1" What des that mean? that 1 plane x and 1 plane j are avaliable? And do I look on right place?; https://taw.stg2.de/index.php

If it says Bf109F-4 1/2 it means you have 1 F4 available out of a maximum of 2. 2/2 means 2 available. 0/2 means none available etc. 

If it says 0/1 you have none from a maximum of 1 and so on.  

The dynamic is that you have to look after your best planes and if you don’t take care you have to use older models or do some transit flights to get some back. 

von Tom

• Thanks 1

That's the main reason I don't fly the spit in TAW. Too many friendlies mistake you for 109.. Thoughts and prayers to those who will fly the spit 9 with cut wings..

• Haha 1

Ils n'ont qu'à aller s'entrainer sur Berloga, ils apprendront vite la différence...

6 hours ago, Drinkis said:

I have a quite tormenting question. Is it possible to soon get at least one night mission covering time from, for example, 11 to 4 am?
No one in this game did this. WOL, KOTA and other servers have never done nightly missions. Why not make one night map for one mission? This is a good experience by the way.

I understand that this will take time, so it’s not difficult for me to pay for your work, if you need to. I have a very long time and very much want to fly at night in multiplayer.

Well it is not very realistic for "day" fighters to fly at night, which is why no serious server intertain night missions.

Aircraft have to be equipped with the correct equipment to be and effective weapon.

Example: Assume any aircraft that does not have an attitude indicator is "100%" a day/fair weather fighter.

There is a reason the RAF didn't launch fighters against the luftwaffe bombers during the blitz. They literally "watched the fireworks" from the ground. My guess is during the early days one or two did but quickly found out it was an futile concept LOL (...you can't kill what you can't see nor find).

Posted (edited)

So on Mission #304 there are no events recorded for either side (c.f., http://taw.stg2.de/pilots_mission.php?mission_id=303 ).  Me and Axis pilots damaged the defenses extensively around Mirskaya.  The server crashed after this mission.  So did none of our actions get registered?  Or more precisely, why weren't our actions registered?

Edited by SCG_Limbo

50 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Ils n'ont qu'à aller s'entrainer sur Berloga, ils apprendront vite la différence...

English

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 6:11 AM, FeuerFliegen said:

Kuban map, right now....

Why is a Bf109 F-4 not allowed to have 20mm gun pods out of Steblievskya, but you can out of other locations such as Anastasievskaya?

Gun pods availability depends on the depot destruction level. The more depo is destroyed the more probably is that gun pod for particular aircraft is not available on the current mission on that airfield.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, [ER]Nordseefischer said:

Hallo,

ich habe ein paar Fragen, auf die ich leider im TAW-Handbuch keine Antworten gefunden habe.

1. Was bedeuten die großen schraffierten Gebiete auf der Karte (nicht die kleinen Absprungzonen)?

2. Transport: Heinkel und Co müssen ja mit 100% Treibstoff starten und auf dem zu unterstützenden Platz landen und Mission beenden.

Die Ju52 hat die Ladung an Bord. Muss sie auch mit 100% Treibstoff gefüllt sein?

Kann ich nach der Landung die Mission beenden, oder muß ich sie entladen und zurückfliegen?

Viele Grüße aus dem Norden

•  

1. It would be easier if you put image of it. I assume you are talking about hidden supply convoys. You have to fly there and find this convoy to show icon of it on the map.

2. yes

Ju-52 don't need 100% fuel in supply transport mission.

After landing you can end the sortie. No need to unload. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:17 PM, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=59187&name=Flanker-E

So I am legitimely curious how come I wasn't awarded this kill, I have done about 60 percent damage to the 109, I cut his tail off and it was spinning, going down. Then a hungry angry  yak 1-69 came along hit it once with shkas and rammed his plane. And how is his ram  considered as damage he inflicted, usually it's just considered as damag but inflicted by no one. Btw I was credited in game. How is it different server side? 

Maybe flex tape guy thought he could fix his tail back 😂

This good question for the developers because in the log files LF-heavy82 shot down Flanker-E. It's not the first time when ingame score differs from log files.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, FeuerFliegen said:

If counter is <= 0 after a sortie then it's increased by 1 immediately and time penalty is on. So you never see counter below 0.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, FeuerFliegen said:

I noticed what appears to be a discrepancy between the plane set chart and what is actually available in the game, regarding the MC.202.

In the chart, there are two versions of the plane.  The only difference is that one excludes 20mm gunpods.  It says that the one excluding the gunpods is available for the first map only, and then the one that doesn't exclude them is available for maps 2, 3, and 4.

In the game it is the opposite.  I had the option of using 20mm gunpods on the first map, and they were not available on maps 2, 3, and 4.

It seems like the chart would be the logical correct way for it to be, as upgrades don't seem like the type of thing to be offered in the beginning and then not be available in the future.

Regardless either the chart needs to be changed, or the server's settings.

I will check it.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

I'm just wondering - as the server crashed just now - if we can see the combat log of the flight which got interrupted due to the crash?

I'm curious as me and my teammate got a funny/odd event and would like to see who we were fighting.

Additionally I also wonder if you can lose your pilot due to the server crash - if you got damaged in the 5(?) mintues before the crash. Does it count then as a "quit server" where you lose your pilot?

There is not many events in that sortie: http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=53623&name==FSB=HandyNasty

If server crashes it doesn't produce any log files so mission is ended and pilots in the air have "In flight" sortie.

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

English

Sorry,

They only have to go to practice on Berloga, they will quickly learn the difference ...

A question and a suggestion.

How close does one need to get to the mystery object in the white circle with diagonal fill pattern on the map in order to spot and identify it?

Suggestion: can the city defences be redesigned to be more spread out? Right now the objects within one defence are clustered ridiculously closely together, not very realistic.

why i got 24hours penalty guys? it is a second time already. I just died and... i cant fly for today anymore. I have all planes, i have 2 more lives...

22 hours ago, Drinkis said:

BF.thumb.png.d6f3a1429934ca4125a95d82589cb07a.png

I would also love more night missions.  I love it when a mission starts early morning and we get around 45 minutes of darkness, or the last mission of each day where we get a little bit of time in the dark.  I'm always so disappointed when it ends.

I understand that some of these planes are not designed to be night fighters, but there are a few that are, even with night camo to go along with it.

Would a possible compromise be to have missions that start a little earlier in the day/end a little later into the night?  I'd love it if we could get at least a full hour of darkness in the morning/evening.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Drinkis said:

why i got 24hours penalty guys? it is a second time already. I just died and... i cant fly for today anymore. I have all planes, i have 2 more lives...

What is your TAW username?

I'm just assuming since I can't find your TAW profile on the website to verify... But here is a possible explanation :
If it's the second time, you can't have 2 lives...
Once you fall at 1 live, you can't have more than 1 live again for this map. So if you already received a 24h penalty on map 6, every time you die on map 6 you receive again the 24h penalty.

Edited by -IRRE-Centx
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1